Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

More Tips (and a Shopping List) for Getting Through Chemo

Options

Comments

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited June 2008
    Options

Bump for the "Chillow" pillow. How did I ever live without it!!

• Nico1012
    edited June 2008
    Options

Bumpity-do-dah

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited June 2008
    Options

Chillow? Hmmmm.... gonna google. (and bump)

• Nico1012
    edited June 2008
    Options

Bumpity-dee

• MsKarin
    MsKarin Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2008
    Options

Rock,

It might be in there but I didn't see it.

During my chemo class my onco nurse asked if I liked yogurt? When I said yes she said "Good, eat one everyday to help ward off Urinary Tract Infections." Just thought this should be added since there seem to be many having UTI problems. I eat an Activia everyday and so far n/p's.

Enjoy the day, Karin

• lemonjake
    edited June 2008
    Options

There's no denying that I'm a chump
    For not saying "thanks" to those who bump.

THANK YOU. 

• SuePeet
    SuePeet Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2008
    Options

WOW I sure wish I knew about this website before I started - my one girlfriend went through this about 6 years ago and she is kind of a dynamo - she worked part time through her Chemo - Me not so much of a dynamo - I seem to get everything chemo and anti nasea drugs have to offer - and now apparently I have delicate veins!  I reallly appreciate that list you did - it will help many - and me in Alberta Canada will be sure to tell all that are going through this process here - about this discussion board and I have copied off your list to give out.  Sadly there are more and more women everyday getting diagnosed - its almost like getting the flu!  Thanks you have certainly made my day!  OK here I go crying again!  Does anyone know where the darn turn off valve is!  I can't say I keep crying because I have no eye lashes because they haven't gone yet!

Sue in Red Deer Ab

• lemonjake
    edited June 2008
    Options

Sweetie, you cry as much and as often as you feel like crying.

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bumping for the July chemo crew.

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

LOVIN my Chillow! Why don't they make a mattress?

• Joia
    Joia Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2008
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QTlOkiOxs&feature=related - How to tie an African head wrap

I provided this link earlier, but I see that it no longer works. The video is still on You Tube, just search "how to tie head wraps." The video is by galaxyswurl. 

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

bump for Bonnie (and Marcella?)

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

Pointers for "good veins" have been added!

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

bump for independence day!

• Nico1012
    edited April 2009
    Options

Bumping.

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Doin' the BUMP!

• wondering7
    wondering7 Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bump while I work through my neulasta. Stay calm. Stay positive. W7

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Has anyone tried Claritin for Neulasta SE's?

Someone last year had a thread on Neulasta and the allergic response.

Several sisters wrote in to say Claritin helped because it manages the allergic response.

If nothing else it would keep your nose from dripping and maybe help the headache.

The headache is supposed to come from the allergic response also.

Nico

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bumping.

• yellowrose
    yellowrose Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2009
    Options

Rock the Bald,

During my BFF's last round of chemo, it was winter and I made her homemade soups after each session.  Now she is getting ready for new treatments and it is way too hot for soups.  Can you or someone else on the thread recommend foods that are comforting during summertime without stomach/taste issues?  It would be great to see a thread about foods during chemo.  Thanks.

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

No experience with Claritin --sorry!

Yellowrose -- That's so thoughtful of you! My sense is that everybody's tastes are so different . . . it's hard to predict. (You might want to post your question over on the May 2008 chemo thread.  My "sisters" and I are all a bit food-obsessed!)  I am suffeing from a lack of appetite myself, so it is hard for me to answer. But I'll give your question a try...  Bear in mind that this is just my experience; not a universal one.

I am not very interested in spicy foods.  Small portions are more appealing than larger ones.

Personally, food my friends offered that I enjoyed included

* quiches, meat sauce (for spaghetti)

* I have been craving a small loaf of banana nut bread, pumpkin bread, zucchini bread (with reduced sugar, but NO sugar substitutes -- I've never hated chemicals as much as I have during chemo!)

* my little sister made me some chocolate no-bake cookies with oatmeal that I LOVED (sugar is bad, but the choco and the oatmeal -- mmm, mmm. And i DID need fiber!)

* maybe a cold pasta salad of sorts?  Especially if you can sneak some protein or fiber into it? (e.g., sunflower seeds)

Again, that is just such a thoughtful question, a thoughtful gesture.  Sometimes, too, I didn't think I had any interest in food until I was with a friend...  So don't underestimate the power of you joining her for some caprese (tomatos, mozzarella, basil drizzled with olive oil)!

Here are 101 (more) quick dishes: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/dining/02mlis.html?scp=2&sq=101+picnic&st=nyt
    Dx 2/20/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage , Grade 3, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

• JulieC
    JulieC Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hi,

My onc actually told me to take a Claritin the day that I get the Neulasta shot (day after Chemo).  The pain hasn't been too bad and it definitely helps with the allergy symptoms that I already have.

Hope this helps

Julie 

• wondering7
    wondering7 Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2008
    Options

My doctor gave me a script for Claritin but I did not use it. I take tylenol for the ache and temperature. This was a long slow weekend for me on Neulasta. One more round in late July!!W7

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bump

• familyroks
    familyroks Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2008
    Options

Bump

• dhettish
    dhettish Member Posts: 96
    edited July 2008
    Options

Not sure if this got covered but with all the down time we have, I joined Netflix so I could get movies delivered to me. I also went by our local library when they had their book sale and was able to get lots of books really cheap. I average 3 books a week. I also got some comic type books for those days when I did not have any concentration. Love Arlo and Janis, and the one with Bucky and Satchel the cat and dog (hilarious). Short stories were good as well.

A girlfriend got me Crazy, Sexy Cancer Tips which was a great book. There is also a website called CafePress.com which has a lot of funny t-shirts and hats. I spent way too much money there. But I do have to say that I bought 2 junior t-shirts (they run really small). I contacted them to see how to return them for a bigger size. They said "don't worry about sending them back, we are sending you 2 new shirts free of charge!) How nice of them! Do note that the junior sizes run small and the men's sizes run way big! Size up and down respectively.

And best of all, these boards helped me tremendously. I was able to laugh and cry. When I felt really down, I reached out to others who were also down and I felt so much better.

Thanks for the tips, Rock. Lots of work and great and much needed info. Much better than the pamphlets I got from the onc office.

Debbie 

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

(My pleasure, Debbie. I regret that the tips are even necessary. I also recommend Cancer Vixen, esp for women undergoing CMF. Take good care of yourself.)

• familyroks
    familyroks Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2008
    Options

bump

• Nico1012
    edited July 2008
    Options

dhettish,

you got pamphlets from the onc's office? I got be here fri at 2:00

and this is an NCI COMPREHENSIVE CANCER CENTER!!!!!       

Nico

• SherriM
    SherriM Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2008
    Options

Rockthebald:  Thank you, thank you, thank you for getting this information back up for us newbies!  Sherri