Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited April 2009

Hi Spring,

28 total, so that's 8 of 28.  I'm glad you asked, because guess I'm 25% done!  That's feels good!

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited April 2009

Hi, all.  I don't know why I am so dog-gone tired!  I didn't even have enough energy to make cereal tonight.  Thursday and Friday last week, I worked 2 full days and I worked all day today, but I've been doing that for 28 years, golly! 

My dd got a new kitten from our Pastor yesterday.  She didn't want to leave her home alone while we worked at the restaurant yesterday afternoon, so she brought her over to my other daughters so she could  "kitten sit." My other daughter liked the kitten so much, she brought her two kids over today to pick out another one.  She couldn't decide which one, so she took 2 of them. So, now my family has 3 out of 4 of the Pastor's kittens.

Tomorrow, I am going with my husband to see a bariatric surgeon.  He weighs about 350 lbs and is considering the lap band.  I hope he's a candidate for the surgery.  His health is really beginning to suffer from the weight.  I had the old-fashioned Rouen-Y surgery about 10 years ago.  I started out at 250.  I got down as low as 160, but then they changed my antibiotics and I gained weight.  I complained to my psychiatrist and he told me I could be "fat and happy or skinny and dead."  Ideally, I'd like to get down to 150, but I don't think that'll ever happen.  My goal this summer, however, is to exercise more, eat less junk food and lose about 20 lbs.  We'll see.  

I go see my med onc on Wednesday.  I want to discuss AIs vs. Tamoxifen with him and I also want to discuss some recent articles I've read recently about the significance PR- plays. He originally told me that the PR- didn't mean anything, only the ER+ mattered, but there are several articles that disagree.  I actually have a whole list of things I need to ask him.  I just have to remember to bring the list.

Have a nice night, ladies.

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited April 2009

Bev - Welcome home - glad you had a good time!

Jane - I hear radiation makes you tired for up to a month after you finish.

Genia - I meant to say my b/f doesn't have an "e"... chemo brain?

Colleen - I think I get 33 or 35 rads... #16 was today.

The radiologist sold me a box called "Instant Energy B-12" for neuropathy. He said it helped him when he got neuropathy from diabetes.

The cardiologist put me back on the heart medication because my heart rate is too fast again. Then when I got home I got a recall notice from my insurance company saying those pills have been recalled. So I have a call into the doctor's office for a new prescription. Luckily, nothing bad happened with the ones I took! Apparently, they were not all the same size, so the dosage could be more or less than prescribed,

Back to typing reports...

Hugs! Kiss

• BrandonMom
    edited April 2009

Hey Juli,

My bet is that you have 33, which means after tomorrow, you will be over 1/2 done!!!  Woo hoo! 

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited April 2009

Hi girls,

Juli, did your heart problems start during chemo or did you have some existing complaint? It's a good job the odd sized pills didn't give you any problems.  I would have thought your doctor would have known, strange to find out from your insurance co.

Spring, glad you enjoyed your trip, sounds like you had a great time.

Genia, what a good sister you have, getting spoilt is always good.

Take care everyone. Singapore Chris x

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited April 2009

Jane....you are tired because your poor body had been through the wringer.   I get tired sooooo easily.  Don't take much at all.  I have NO stamina at all.   I hope your hubby gets something done that will help him.  It's hard carrying around all that weight.  Believe me I know.....I'm about 80 pounds over weight according to a calorie website.  Made me feel really good!!!    lol

Juli.....the only difference between the Barnett's with an E or without it........is a PIG!!!   lmbo     There was a fight over a pig.....and the Barnett's dropped the E off their name to protest.  Good story.....don't know how much of it is true........hehehe

Yes Chris.....she is a good sister.  One of the best there is........I've always been her little sister.........and she had done so much for me over my lifetime.

Love you girls........have a great day

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2009

Just wanted to say, I love you girls! Now back to work, lol. :)   Thinking of you!!!

• trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited April 2009

Hi ladies,  been busy getting all done around the house before I return to work next week. 

Juli - My nails got pretty bad but none fell off.  I am just being patien letting them grow back.

I have a question.....I finished chemo the end of January, had surgery on Mar 3....saw my onc once 2 weeks after surgery....then nothing.  No lab tests, no scans...no other appts.  Is this normal?  I just feel like I have been dropped like a hot potato!!!! LOL  I did see 2 rads docs but I can't start anything untill my incision is healed all the way, since I am healing sooooo slow (almost done now)....I may miss the window for rads all together.  From what they told me,  they like to start 6 to 8 weeks after surgery or maybe end of chemo????  So confused.

It seems like all of us are doing soooo much better.  I am really ready to go back to work. 

Trude

• Juli50
    edited April 2009

Colleen - Yay! to half-way done!

Genia - That pig story is hilarious! Thanks for telling it!

Chris - No previous heart problems, just a history of asthma. I don't think the A/C caused any damage, just the Herceptin.

Trude - Looks like only 2 nails are bad. I didn't know there was a window for radiation.

Beverly - don't work too hard! LOL

Hugs! Kiss

• Springtime
    edited April 2009

Pig, lol.

Trude, I had chemo that ended Nov 10. Surgery was on Dec 2nd. Rads started Jan  13th or so.I was allowed to heal from surgery with no tests or probeshey did have me in about 3 weeks after surgery tosee how I was and get the rads stuff on teh books for jan....

During Rads I saw the Rads Onc 1x a week and my regular onc on time in the middle of that...

Does this help?  

• Springtime
    edited April 2009

SEE MY NEW PIC!!! Chris and I are like TWIN ladies!!! LOL!!!

• Genia
    edited April 2009

Aww....Beverly you look beautiful sweetie!!!  Short hair looks great on you.  You should wear it short......not that short....but a short cut!  You have the face for it!

I love it....

Mine is about an inch long....maybe an inch and a half.  

• Springtime
    edited April 2009

Mine is not 2 inches yet. Genia, your hiar is GROWING girl!!!! :)  full circle, back to the pixies of our youth! lol.

• trudecox
    edited April 2009

I am sooooo jealous.  my hair is only about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.....it seemed fast at first, but I guess it's like watching grass grow !!!  LOL  or waiting for water to boil.....bummmer

Trud

• trudecox
    edited April 2009

Juli - I had about 5 nails on my hands (both thumbs are the worst) and one big toe....not to bad . My nail lady told me to just keep them trimmed as short as possible till they grow out. 

I went in to my job today, boy do I miss the girls.....it was so good to see them.  After a month off I am really ready to go back next week.

Trude

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited April 2009

Hi Girls,

Trude, I had my complete head to toe PET/CT scan three months after finishing rad.  I now have follow up appointments every three months with my oncol and every 6 months with my surgeon,  I also have a CT scan after 6 months. Your hair will start to grow much faster soon, you body has probably been working on healing and not putting all it's effort into the hair. The thought of watching grass grow makes me feel tired!

Spring, I love your new picture, you look great! Yes our hair is the same, we are twins!

Genia, from your photo, you don't look overweight. I am sure if I looked up my ideal weight it would be a figure I don't ever remember seeing on the scales.

Hope everyone has a good day and that we hear from Mina soon.

Take care, Singapore Chris x

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited April 2009

I'm so frustrated...so...MAD...I could just scream. I'll divulge in a while, but I have to get rad #17 out of the way. I'm sure the drive will help me get my thoughts in order so that I don't step on innocent bystanders' toes while I'm stomping around.

I need to slap someone.

Seriously.

Robin

• Springtime
    edited April 2009

Oh Robin, Do tell girl. Rad 17, more than half way there now.

Chris we are twins!!! :)  You know, here in the US I don't think we get these "scans" like you got. Hmm. I am going to ask about that. Does anybody know? I was under the impression you didn't get any scans here if you were "symptom free". Which seems like a bunch of bologna to me...

Juli and Trude, I had 2 big toe nails looking "bruised". Guess what. I coverd them with nail polish and I feel SO MUCH BETTER. I dont' see this taxol reminder everytime I see my feet now!!!

Trude, when was your last chemo? I think my hair was starting to look better at about 4 months. 5 months I ditched the wig. I am hoping to have some bangs by 6 months.... ha!

Spring.

• BrandonMom
    edited April 2009

Spring,

I've had two PET/CT scans and will have another one about a month after rads finished.  I'm stage 3, so that may have something to do with it. 

• Juli50
    edited April 2009

Bev - you look adorable!!!

I have a ct-scan on Friday to check my lungs. Yesterday my onc said my heart tests showed a decrease in my ejection fraction from last month...back down to 35. I guess my cardiologist told me that, but I can't understand half of what he says, with his thick accent and his mumbling. My mom was with me and she couldn't understand him either.

off to work..

hugs

• rayhope
    rayhope Member Posts: 75
    edited April 2009
    Springtime:  I finished chemo 2 weeks ago and will have follow-up scans every 6 months.  I had the first in December before chemo started and will have the next one in June.  I'm not sure how many years my onc stays on the 6-month schedule.  He did mention that "not all doctors do that" but he feels it's important.  I guess it just varies from one doctor to the next.
  • Springtime
    edited April 2009

I am STARVING!!! THis no food prep for colonoscopy is a drag! For lunch, a friend made me broth and green jello! However, it is now 2:30 and I am starving again!

I am going to ask about these follow up scans. I go back in July.... That will be my one year anniversary....

Spring.

• BrandonMom
    edited April 2009

Spring, July isn't so far away.  Hard to believe some of us are coming up on a one year anniversary.  My anniversary will be August.  I felt the lump in July, though.  So far in just one year...

• Springtime
    edited April 2009

So true. We've been through a lot in a few months. Life will never be the same. I have changed in some ways.

I decided to take a 4 day weekend on my one year anniversary of "all this". Just to reassess and regroup. It is a very significant milestone, I feel.

Yes, and will ask about SCANs....

Spring...

• Springtime
    edited April 2009

Brandom MOM,

had a thought. How long prior to your "feeling the lump" in July did you have a mammogram?

I had one in June and it was clear. and was Dx'd w/ BC in July. Still makes me mad as spit!!!

Spring.

• theprettiestmess
    edited April 2009

I just got back from my labs & port flush, and got information regarding what's on tap for me next. I have to finish rads (17 more to go!), then get base scans, a new CA27/29 as a baseline, a bilateral mammogram, and a PET scan IF they think I need it. Then they'll do a hyst/ooph and slap me on Tamoxifen. After I've had two clear mammograms, I'll get my port taken out sometime in Nov/Dec.

I LIKE timelines, I do, I do.

• theprettiestmess
    edited April 2009

Spring: I like your idea about a weekend to regroup. Significant stuff, yanno? Burn those uniboob bras, wigs, bandannas...because we're all...and I mean ALL of us...are gonna make it through this. We'll all be here.

My rant will be posted on my Facebook...I'm just...I don't know. PISSED OFF. PM me, if you like. I'm not posting it here. 

Oh... just so y'all know, it's not about any of you blessings.

Robin...the red tempered bird.

• Genia
    edited April 2009

Juli....hang in there sweetie.  Sorry the news wasn't good with your ejection rate.  I will be prayin for you.....

Bev....I'm getting hungry just thinking of not having anything except broth and jello.  Bless your heart!  Just think of it this way......a good CLEANSING......does a body good!!!  lol

Love ya Robin......big........ it'll be alright hugs to you hun!!!

Have I told you ladies how much I love you lately..............well I DO!!!!   Smile

• BrandonMom
    edited April 2009

Hey Robin,

I sent you a friend request on facebook.  I'm really curious what has you all steamed up.

• theprettiestmess
    edited April 2009

I friended you, Colleen! Nice to see you there! 

My post doesn't have anything to do with any of you...I promise.