Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited January 2009

Genia- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! so happy for you and am glad the pills worked better!!!

I know you are feeling better just knowing the chemo is over!!

Hope the SE's are few!

HUGS

Lisa

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited January 2009

Genia -

What do you mean you don't know what you would have done without us?  You put that in the past tense like you're going to desert us now that you're through!  I don't think so!!!! Even though we are done with chemo, you better plan on sticking with me through the rads and beyond.  I certainly plan on sticking with you!

Congrats!  I know how good it feels to be done.  It is even making the SEs almost bearable.  My normal constipation the first couple of days hasn't come through this time.  This time I have diarrhea (not that you all really want to know, but).  They had me do a stool sample today to make sure I don't have c-diff (a bacteria).  I can feel the Taxol pain creeping up as well and I had my nasty shot today.

The good news is that I now have heat, but my temp is now down to 96.  Dr. says not related to no heat, prob related to chemo and not feeling good.  Time will tell.

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited January 2009

I ain't goin anywhere.......shoot......can't run me off here!!!   You have to put up with me....lol

I just meant the chemo part Miss Jane :) .....don't know what I would have DONE without you all through my chemo.  Still need you ALL......and love you all more than I can ever tell you.   You are part of my family.......just wish you were in real life.........well you know what I mean!!!  HERE.....to go shopping and out to eat....and do girl stuff with.. 

God sent me here.....cause without you ladies and Him......and of course my family......there is no way I could have done this........

Big hugs.......Genia

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited January 2009
    Genia - I'm doing the Happy Dance!!! (even with the Taxol pain!) Congrats!! WOOHOO! Big Hugs! Kiss
  • trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2009

Genia - WoooHOOOOOOO!!!  It must feel good to be done.....Now just give it a couple weeks and you should be tip top!!! 

It seems Juli and I are the only ones left on chemo ????  We will get there too !!!!  Then it will be time for one big party.  I have my Jack Daniels bottle and a batch of homemade beer just waiting for my party!!!!! 

HUGGS to all

Trude

• Juli50
    edited January 2009

Trude - I want strawberry margaritas and chips...yummmy! Tongue out

• Genia
    edited January 2009

Now I'll take one of those margarita's Jules.........that sounds delicious.......yum

Trude.....I will be right here when you and Juli finish......I still have Herceptin once a month for a year.  AND surgery next month or March.....not sure when yet.   Got the Tamoxifen too.....so I'm far from bein done.

Goin to bed......longgggg day.

hugssssss.....nite all

• Jane_M
    edited January 2009

I'll just take the chips, please...and maybe some dip?

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited January 2009

Just spent the last 6 hours in the ER with my son d/t migraine/seizures. Used to that... But learned the truth from my DH. He said he can't look at me since I am not the same and does not like my new foob. Even tho I knew this deep down, it was hard to hear! Sorry I am tired and emotional! Like I would rather have done this then keep my old saggy boobs! Why do people ASSUME that we were OK with all of this????? Like we had a choice??? Personally, I am happy with how my PS was able to work a miracle and make me look like this!

D

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2009

You're not alone, trude...I've got four more to go because I took two separate weeks off from treatment because my onc is pretty damned cool like that! I'm also gonna beg for a couple of weeks between chemo and rads so that I can feel somewhat "normal" for a little bit.

Congrats to everyone that's done with chemo!  

• trudecox
    edited January 2009

Priz - soooooo sorry.  Get some good sleep.Things will look better tomorrow.  Talk to your hubby again.  Hopefully he can get past it.  I want to call him a bad name but I am refraining.  It's so hard for us ....our dh needs to try to understand.  It must be hard for them, I will give them that....but he needs to get over it.

Trude

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2009

Genia, YOU BE DONE WOMAN!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!!

The rest of you who are not done, WE WILL NOT BE GOING ANYWHERE!!! You are not alone!

Denise, CRAP! You have a full load. Hang in there woman. If there is anything you can do to help your spirit be/feel "light" do it! You deserve a sunny day, warmth on your skin, a delicious chocolate melting in your mouth, sweet music sounding in your ears, soft soft soft next to your skin. Breathe. 

ALL YOU LADIES ARE BEAUTIFUL! GEORGEOUS! What sweeties you are! You know it!

I am having Rad treatment #6 or 28 today.... some sunburn, but so far, so good.

Chris- how are you feeling? Have you had any RAD fatigue hit you yet? I was told it could hit about 2 weeks in. Let me know, you are "ahead of me"!!!

Spring (Beverly)

• Genia
    edited January 2009

Denise.....I read your post earlier this morning...but I was so pissed I felt it better to not say anything at that point.  Because like Trude I would have prob. called him a bad name too.  I know he is your husband....and none of us have a right to say anything bad about him.  But that is just soooo immature and rediculous.  And you are right........YOU DID NOT ASK FOR ANY OF THIS to happen to you.  What if he had testicular cancer and had to have his testicles removed......would YOU say something like that to HIM???  I think NOT........

Not really all I wanted to say.......but I'm gonna hush........for fear of saying too much.  

Big big hugs........and sweetie if he THINKS there are men out there that wouldn't look at you because you have FOOBS........he is badly mistaken!!!    ooops did I just say that?   sorry.......lol

Genia

• Springtime
    edited January 2009

WHAT GENIA SAID!!!!!!

AMEN!!!!

• Genia
    edited January 2009

Morning Beverly.....I was just thinkin about you just a few minutes before I saw your post up there ^^^^^^.

Miss ya when you aren't here for a day or so......miss that SMILING beautiful face of yours over there!

The nurse I had yesterday mainly works over in the Rads dept.  So I got to talk to her bout Rads all I wanted to.  I still don't know if I have to have them yet.....but I'm just betting I do.  She said when there is lymph nodes involved they like to zap em with Rads.....and in my case there was....so I'm thinkin I will be a LUCKY canidate!  woohoo......makes me all happy inside!  lol

I have an appt with the other surgeon on Monday......looking forward to seeing what he says about all of this.  Cause right now it's ALL one big mystery what they are gonna do to me........

hugssssss and love

Genia

• priz47
    edited January 2009

Thanks for the kind thoughts! Today is my DH birthday. I made a cake but only had one egg. Wonder how it will turn out! I know he did not mean to hurt me, but he did. Worrying abt my DS has been hard on both of us. It will be 2 years on 1/26 that he finished chemo. I think he has problems with worrying abt reoccurence and he cannot get past it. I do not know how to help him and that bothers me. I have tried to stay positive with my BC to keep him from freaking out and being worried. Just took dogs for walk as it is beautiful out.

D

• trudecox
    edited January 2009

Thanks girls......Denise needs our support.....maybe we need a trip to CO to straighten out her dh.  Wouldn't that be a hoot....a bunch of bald cranky women chasing after some crazy man !!!! LOL !!!!  We sure would have a lot of attention....He should be afraid....with all of us with our hormones all a twither......anything can happen.  Many prayers for you and your son Denise.

Genia - I still am waiting for my surgeon and onc to come up with a surgery plan....the waiting is driving me nuts >>..  then on to rads ....wooooo hooooo.  could it be any more fun ...LOL!!!!

Trude

• Juli50
    edited January 2009

Denise - Your hubby needs a smack upside the head! Might knock some sense into him! Yell

I had an echocardio today. Will get results tomorrow at Taxol #7. (crossing fingers and knocking on wood, or whatever, for good luck!)

Hugs to all! Kiss

• Springtime
    edited January 2009

Genia, How are you hanging in there with this LAST round of SE's?? Thinking of you!

Denise, how did the cake come out with one egg? :)  I am experimenting a lot now with natural and whole foods.

All- I am reading a really good book! "Anti-Cancer - A New Way of Life". (click to open new window in Amazon.com!). It is FANTASTIC! About how diet, exercise and stress/frame of mind can be used by us to prevent recurrance. Very empowering! Makes you feel like you can DO SOMETHING to help.!!! I recommend.

Trude - The picture of us cranky bald women cranking on Denise's DH cracked me up!!! I guess we have to look for the humor. 

Julie - let us know what eh echo shows. Did you have a MUGA test to check the heart's pump rate? or an echo? I had a MUGA scare, but it all worked out in the end. What a journey for us!

Where is Miss Chris?

Love, Beverly (Springtime!!!!)

• trudecox
    edited January 2009

Woooo Hoooo - got the word from my onc, she and surgeon spoke and decided to try to finish the Taxol....if my feet don't get any worse.  Then do surgery....no chemo after surgery !!!  Yeah!!!

Also onc said if I do the Mastectomy, no rads !!!!  Double Woo Hoo !!!  Now all I have to do is face surgery and recover.....things are looking better today.  Hope every one else gets good news today.

Trude

• priz47
    edited January 2009

Trude,

If you do the mastectomy will it be unilat or bilat? What abt reconstruction? I know these are both hard decisions (been there). My BS and onc said it was up to me abt the mast being bilat or unilat. I had told myself that if my BRAC was positive, I would do a bilat. It was negative, so unilat for me. I am happy with my TRAM, my PS did a great job and the scars are really fading on my boobs. My abdominal scar is still red, but no one sees it. I would have done the lump with rads but mine was throughout the whole brest so.... Lots for you to look into.

ALL- Is anyone who is DONE with chemo doing any supplements? I had taken some pre-BC and of course stopped EVERYTHING during chemo, but now am ready to begin again. I just started taking Flaxseed Oil capsules 1000mg, Vit D 1000mg, Potassium and Juice Plus. There is SO much info out there abt good, bad, etc that i do not know what to believe! I have been trying to eat high protein, low carbs. I cannot give up red meat as I  have a freezer FULL of elk, deer and bison! I do try with the fruits and veges but am not as good as I should be! Alas, the Juice Plus! Just wondering what my sisters are doing or planning on doing.

D

• trudecox
    edited January 2009

Denise -  Yes, very hard decision.....per my surgeon the odds don't change that much with mast vs lump...with all appropirate treatment.  Studies show risk for recurrance is pretty close....the reason is that not all breast tissue can be remove with mast .....breast tissue is not incapsulated like some other organs.  Every dr sees it alittle different.  I am opting for single mast...since my numbers support this.  I need to check into reconstruction...now that I know the plan    No rads !!!!    Yeah, so excited.

Trude

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited January 2009

Trude,

Not meaning to be an anchor on your balloon, but something I wished I had known..plans can change after surgery.  So, my initial biopsy had shown ER+, PR+, HER-, and grade 3.  My onc staged at 2b.  When the pathology came back after the mast, the tumor was bigger than they had thought, so I bumped to Stage 3..  The pathology also showed different results.  So I went from HER- to HER+, which buys me a year of Herceptin.  It also changed my Taxol plan, which before was 4 dose dense, and then was 12 taxol/herceptin mixes. 

So, I'm crossing my fingers that the plan the doctors have laid out now remains your plan after surgery.  I just personally wished I'd know that sometimes the pathology from the surgery changes the plan.  I was shocked, and mad, and sad, and felt like I had taken a huge step backwards.  On the other hand, you could be like Springtime, and your path report is actually better than what they had thought!  That would be great! 

• Jane_M
    edited January 2009

I'm reading "Chicken Soup for the Breast Cancer Survivor's Soul" right now.  It's an uplifting read.

I wasn't thrilled with the AC, but I don't like the Taxol (combined with Neulasta) pain.  I'm just counting down the next few days til the SEs are done.  The Taxol pain in actually bad enough that I take Tylenol 3.

I feel so proud of myself today - I slept in my own bed all night last night and didn't poop my pants (and I'm only 44).  It's been a rough week.

Genia - How you doing?

• Genia
    edited January 2009

LOLOL....Jane you are crazy.   That made me laugh!   So glad you aren't pooping your pants and sleeping in your own bed. 

I'm just weathering the nasty se's.......been tired all day.....just yucky feeling.  But it will pass soon....hopefully.

hugs and love......

• Jane_M
    edited January 2009

The SEs suck but, God willing, this is the last time we'll ever have to endure them, right?

• Genia
    edited January 2009

That's right Jane......right now I have a floater in front of my eyes that HUGE and it's shaped like a star.........drivin me nutso!!!  lol

• priz47
    edited January 2009

Jane,

Do we need to send you Depends???? Sleeping in your own bed IS an accomplishment! So glad for you

I too read the Chicken Soup bok and enjoyed it. I also read "I am NOT my Breast Cancer". It was also very good.

I am not doing any pleasure reading only reading for my thesis. maybe my eyesight is worse due to all this computer work!

D

• Jane_M
    edited January 2009

I was thinking the diarrhea was from this past chemo because the stool culture the onc did came back negative, but I did have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch on Monday when I was having chemo, so maybe it's a touch of salmonela?

• priz47
    edited January 2009

Peanut butter in jars is processed elsewhere from where salmonella is. It's only SUPPOSED to be in paste that is sent for crackers, cookies, dog bones, etc. Probably just chemo related. As having both constipation and diarrhea, wonder which is worse?? I found the constipation worse for me! But then I never had the diarrhea really bad!

D