Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited March 2009

Genia - yay for close hospitals. Mine was only 10 minutes from home.  I'm relaxing and trying to catch up on reading my favorite bc threads. A lot of talking went on in the past 12 days! LOL

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited March 2009

We all have the gift of GAB.....lol

• Genia
    edited March 2009

Anyone  heard from Denise?  She is among the missing........where are you Denise?  And I haven't seen Donna either......

yoooohoooo......oh girls!!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2009

JUUUULLLLIIIIIII is back!!! Yay!!!! Welcome back Jules!!!  We are so glad to have you baaaack!!! Sounds like the Herceptin did a number on your heart's pump rate. Girl, prayers and Angels as you go forward!!! And sounds like you need to keep your feet up! Heal, Baby, Heal!!!!

Genia, been thinking of you too all wkend with the surgery on Tuesday. I got more and more anxious until I thought I would pop. By then I just wanted it OVER with. I felt so much better to wake up and have it behind me. No more WAITING. I HATE THE WAITING - to me it is way worse than the post op stuff... .Makes me crazy!!!

Mina, woman, you are cracking me up with your post incl. Bernie Madoff!! LOL. And the toke taking away the pain, who knew?? Maybe we should have been trying that during chemo?? (I thought of it but with two teens I thought I better not, lol). Girl, love forever back at ya. (Pooh on that richie, pooh pooh pooh).

Hair update: Yesterday I did a "Strawberry Blonde" henna. Looks good! More reddish tones. Everyone keeps telling me to ditch the ball cap, but I can't yet. Though, I finally have enough hair that my head no longer "freezes" and I'm no longer wearing a sleep cap to bed! Yay!! 

Love you girls! Wishin you all CABANA Boys!!! Imagine yourself the lovely woman in the pink suit..cabana.  lol. Spring.

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited March 2009

My brother, who is a barber, told me that he could get me all the "medical marijuana" I needed if I wanted him to.  And he was serious!  The funny thing is that I am a recovering alcoholic/prescription addict.  The last thing I need is an excuse to try marijuana.  It was too funny.

• Genia
    edited March 2009

I could have gotten some "marijowanna" too......but the last time I smoked it when I was MUCH younger.......I got so paranoid I sat in a corner scared outta my wits.  Then I started eating.....like I REALLY need to eat more right now!!!

I DO remember having good........nah we won't go there!    Laughing

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited March 2009

my fashion statement in the hospital... I needed to keep my head warm in that icebox! LOL

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited March 2009

Wednesday is my last taxol.  Am I the last one finishing chemo? If so, I'll turn out the lights when I leave!

Likewise, is Genia turning out the "removal" surgery lights on Tuesday?  I know quite a few of us have recon still to go, but I'm not sure if anyone else has the breast surgery to remove the tumor left.

It seems not so long ago we were all just starting, and now, we finishing up some major milestones! 

Juli, you have me scared with the Herceptin. I was worried it was somehow chemo related.  This Weds I'll get my first "once every three week" dose, which is bigger than the every week dose.  After your experience, I'm definitely a little scared!  I'm so glad you are doing well now!

• Jane_M
    edited March 2009

Juli - even as sick as you were, you still looked adorable.

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited March 2009

I hope that we'll keep the thread open...I'd hate to lose touch with y'all...especially those that don't do Facebook...

• Genia
    edited March 2009

Well I've still got lots left to do.  My surgery....probably rads.....Herceptin......and Tamoxifen.  I had BETTER have you girls here.........not sure what I would do without you.  You have become such a part of my life!

JULI....HOW CUTE YOU LOOK.....even in the dang hospital!!!

• Genia
    edited March 2009

Colleen....congrats on your last Taxol.  Good for you hun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hugsssss to ya

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited March 2009

Since I am not on FB either, i hope you will all stick around too. The tamoxifen is still hanging in there and so far still so good. The leg is bothering me a lot today and i am not sure if it's just because of all the cold and rain, or because i didn't take the fluid pill today...

I go tomorrow to see the rad onco to let him check out the skin. The Gold Bond has everything pretty much healed up except for the blister where the drain site was. One of the blisters finally broke and it is a tad uncomfy....BUT being done makes everything tolerable.

Have a great week everyone and say your prayers that I keep my mouth shut and stay employed!!!

HUGS

Lisa

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited March 2009

PS- Juli You are too cute in your hats!!! SOOOOOOO glad to have you back and feeling a little better.

Genia- HUGS girl...Thinking and praying daily for you!!!

• Genia
    edited March 2009

Thanks Lisa.....I had to laugh at your statement about keeping your mouth shut and staying employed......that was funny!!!

hugs

• Genia
    edited March 2009
    I feel this aura all around
    I feel not sure the place it's bound

I feel the fear in my family's plans

I feel the time may be close at hand

I feel the joy of Silos my beautiful new grandson

I feel my Best Girl has chosen the right one

I feel the anguish as my daughter's tears flow

I feel my soul scream, "Please Lord, never let her this beast know"

I feel my son growing into a man

I feel his compassion as he always lends a hand

I feel my heart's plea as I ask Thee

"Please let me see him get his degree"

I feel his children I may never know

I feel these thoughts are a place I'm afraid to go

I feel my husband in such pain

I feel yet his strength time and time again

I feel my brothers trying to be so tough

I feel the slightest hesitation on my part would make things way too rough

I feel so thankful it wasn't a sister

I feel their sadness much more than a whisper

I feel my mother's love so real to me

I feel our time together beginning to flee

I feel there is one more thing I need to ask of Thee

"Please Lord let me not see Thy face before she."

I feel my in-laws cheering me on

I feel this disease has brought a beautiful bond

I feel the pulling away of long-time friends

I feel the presence of others fitting right in

I feel I'm in a place I don't want to be

I feel this all may be too much for me

I feel the pain of the needles going in

I feel the medication making me spin

I feel my mind isn't just right

I feel to keep it healthy is quite a fight

I feel there are those who don't understand

Chemo and radiation are just the beginning of an over-changing plan

I feel my community like I never have before

I feel they have carried me when I could afford no more

I feel the arms of my church family so dear

I feel every moment I'm in their deepest prayer

I feel no anger, I don't know the plan

I feel with God's strength I'll do all that I can

I feel sometimes I'm stuck in a door

I feel at others I could handle much more

I feel the guilt of causing others such pain

I feel the sadness coming again

I feel at times I may be losing this race

I feel myself wondering how to do it with grace

I feel yet a love that neither time nor death can erase

I feel so blessed to have come to this place

I feel the deep healing of prayer chains all around

I feel tears and calls from Czechoslovakia to Newfoundland have been found

I feel the gentle touch of a hand as one walks by

I feel the angels reminding me that if I spread my wings just a little I could still fly

I feel a joy I don't fully understand

I feel my soul has touched the greatest part of man

I feel at times I hate this disease

I feel it has taught me much on my knees

I feel the heartaches of others much like my own

I feel a freedom I have never known

I found this poem on a website and it is written by Fern Doucette.   I thought it was beautiful and speaks for so many of us.............

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited March 2009

Hi girls,

Wow Genia, that is a powerful poem, like you say, we can all relate to it.

Incase anyone loses me if they move away from this site, my email address is: lifecoachchris@hotmail.com

I am not on facebook, I started but got so many messages I just couldn't keep up, I would rather use email.

Brandonmom, thank god you are at the end, I am so happy for you. 

Juli, you do look good in your hat, glad to hear you are recovering, even if you do have a mountain  to climb to get upstairs now. Little by little you will regain your strength.

Springtime, how goes it?

Jane M, stay away from all drugs girl, good luck to you and long may you be free from addiction of all kinds, must be an awful thing. Sounds like you are a strong lady now!

Thought for the day "Today I take back my power!"

Singapore Chris

• BrandonMom
    edited March 2009

I apologize if folks thought I meant we should close the thread.  Quite the opposite!  I was just doing an update to see if we would all be over the chemo and if Genia was the last of the "removal" surgeries.  I hope this thread stays open for a long time as well. Just like Genia, there are still lots of other milestones for some of us to cross.  Rads, hereceptin, recon surgery, hormone therapy (possible related surgery), etc.  So still lots to go, and even when we are done all that, I think we should keep the tread active, just to see how we are doing general!                         

• trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2009

Genia - will pray for you today and the decision by your docs today....surgery tomorrow right???

Juli - don't worry about your feet, I stopped taxol about 6 weeks ago and still have a little numbness in my right foot.

Off to see ps today for f/u .....hope he removes drain and some stitches.  I might try going to work a little last week....the computer seems much better yesterday and today.  Since all I do in type on a computer, may be I can do a little. 

I am still not sure what is up with rads ????

Trude

• theprettiestmess
    edited March 2009

I think it would be a great idea, like Chris said, to pass along our email addresses in case we get tired of Facebook or, for some ungodly reason, this site closes down. I love all of you girls so much...

My email address is robin.mcrath@gmail.com.

My home phone (Genia knows!) is 231.425.3516...anytime.

Robin 

• Springtime
    edited March 2009

Julie, cute as a button as always! Ditto what the ladies say above.

Thinking of you Genia. What a powerful poem!! These were my favorite lines: "I feel at times I hate this disease. I feel it has taught me much on my knees" Amen to that.Your husband friended me on FB so will check in with him if we don't hear from you. But do try to let us know you are okay! I know Jane has your number....

Lisa, glad the healing keeps going! I go to the Rad Onc to day to show him my nice "healed up" skin. I think I will then be "released" from rads...

Chris! "Today I take back my Mojo!!!" :)  AMEN!!

Spring.

• Springtime
    edited March 2009

I am lovelace@us.ibm.com and 919 676 0468 is our home phone!!!

• BrandonMom
    edited March 2009

Trude,

Did you get your path results from your mastectomy yet?  That should help with the rads discussion.

• Springtime
    edited March 2009

Trude, what size was the lump? and did they find vascular invasion? no nodes? If none of this stuff, may not need rads. I had a larger lump and also they found evidence of the vascular invasion (no nodes) and said I needed rads...

• Genia
    edited March 2009

I'm back from the sugeon's office.  It's just gonna be one breast.  He said he talked extensively with my onco and they both think that is best right now.  The port it seems is really worrying him and my oncologist.  He said if there is bacteria around that port....when he takes the breast off.......the infection could spread and  I would have all kinds of problems.  Plus it would delay ANY further treatment.   So I agreed.....don't need any infection to deal with on top of everything else.  He did promise me he would take the other breast as soon as everything healed up.  Since I trust my onco so much.....and I really like this surgeon....I guess I will have to trust them that they are making the right decision for me. 

• theprettiestmess
    edited March 2009

Oh Genia...I can imagine what a disappointment/relief (I would think it would be a toss up)...and you know how I feel about your port...that hole shouldn't be there...Lemme know if you're up to talking... I'll holler...

Today, I called my onc's office to whine about my fencepost legs...and to beg for Lasix for a little while. I have to wait until Wednesday to speak with her at my exam appt. In the meantime, the local med supply house called to schedule an appt for compression stockings. I about laughed my patootie off...because I've BEEN wearing compression stockings...and they're not doing anything about the fluid hanging around my ankles. They're not supposed to! All comp. stockings are meant to do is to keep the skin on the leg from falling apart, for lack of better word. So...I scheduled the appointment for tomorrow morning at 10AM...I'm not happy. My daughter's been taking pictures of my legs and feet for reference, and I'm taking THOSE with me to my onc's appt. When I leave, I'd better have a scrip for Lasix in my hand or else....Yell 

• Springtime
    edited March 2009

OK Genia, just pray, but your head down, trust and do it. You can do this. It will be over in X number of hours! No more waiting.

Robin!!!! What is with your leeeeeeggggs???? Let us know what you find out. Are you able to walk? Or is this beyond walking to get the fluid out? Maybe they shoudl string you up by your toes! lol, but then all the fluid would go to your head and you'd have fat hair!!! lol.

I am losing my marbles!

Spring.

• Genia
    edited March 2009

You can call Robin.....I'm just sitting here all nervous.....lol

Yes Bev.....in about15 hours I'll be in surgery.  He said it would take about 3 hours to do all he is gonna do.....take the breast, port, and put in another port......I hate being put to sleep.  But it sure beats being awake......lol

• Jane_M
    edited March 2009

I washed my "hair" last night with real shampoo for the first time.  It feels much softer now - like bunny fur, but my scalp feels dry so tonight I'm going to put some conditioner on.

16 rads down, 17 to go.  As of tomorrow, I'll be 1/2 way there.

• Genia
    edited March 2009

Yes Jane....conditoner will make a world of difference.  I used some today....and my scalp isn't so dry. 

You GO girl on those Rads......good for you!  You doin ok with them?