Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234

Sleeplessness just comes with the post cancer treatments, I think. Anyone have foot and calf muscles cramps?

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541

Oh yeah. I do get those cramps. Love, Jean

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699

I used to get leg cramps before BC and started taking magnesium...I no longer get them.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393

I agree. Magnesium helps..

Vickie

• Rose63
    Rose63 Member Posts: 91

I get calf cramps too. It was pretty bad right after starting tamoxifen. But I read the magnesium was supposed to help, and I started taking that, and it has diminished dramatically. I talked to my oncologist about it and she said that was the exact right thing to take, and told me 400mg daily is the recommended amount. Good luck!

• lifelover
    lifelover Member Posts: 263

Oh brother, here I go into worry mode again. Had my baseline bone density scan today and the technologist asked if I was wearing sparkly underwear (I said no, regular white cotton ones). Boy, did that worry me - she even came over to check out if there was something stuck to the top of my leg - pelvis area. Should I be worried? Oh, am I ever not not worried?

Anyway, I've been on Femara a few weeks now and don't really notice any changes.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219

Life lover....I think that is a pretty standard inquiry for a dexa scan.

"Please note: We need you to remove any navel piercings and avoid wearing under wear with buttons or metal/sparkly decorations."

• kittysister
    kittysister Member Posts: 88

I had pain in all of my joints. Backache, yes. Couldn't sleep for over 2 or 3 hours, either. But I was never sick on my stomach. Side effects vary, I guess.

• kittysister

Hope everything turns out ok, Life lover. Sorry, my last reply probably didn't make any sense because I was replying to a post on the previous page.

• shelleym1
    shelleym1 Member Posts: 111

Can a DEXA scan see bone mets? I didn't think it could.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

I am pretty sure that DEXA's can, but they have to be pretty large..

• Snowgirl63
    Snowgirl63 Member Posts: 37

Hi BC2015,

I felt very sick when I first started taking the letrozole someone mentioned that they took 1/4 of a pill for a bit then 1/2 and then to a whole pill gradually and apparently that makes it easier I don't know what the proper term for this is but maybe your MO can set you up for that. I wish I had of known to ask. I'm I'm 100 days into taking it and still feel like crap. But that could be the radiation too. Hopping for less side effects soon. Oh I also have lupron injections to shut down my ovaries but having them removed as soon as possible. I hope you MO can help you out. I'm thinking of asking for the brand name as I hear that can make a difference as well in how you feel.

T

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160

I am the one who mentioned "ramping up" by starting with 1/4 then 1/2 then a whole pill. As I have been thinking about it, it makes sense that since these meds drop our estrogen levels, the side effects will be worse in the beginning. Ramping up gradually may have meant the initial drop in estrogen was more gradual- who knows. I am going to ask my oncologist when I see her.

But ask your doctor about doing this. If you are starting late it could delay the onset of effective treatment. I had no choice: I could not tolerate the full dose right away.

So far, my side effects have been- in chronological order- pins and needles in arms and a buzzy anxious feeling, hot flashes, then joint pains, and all of these subsided after a couple of weeks for each symptom. My tinnitus is changing to less frequent from constant and hoping that is changing too whether it is from Femara or not.

We are all different. I am wondering if it helps if we are already well past menopause, meaning that the drop in estrogen would be less severe.

I already had osteoporosis after my drop in estrogen after menopause 10 year ago. I am hoping the drop from Femara doesn't do the same thing-once is enough!

• kittysister

When I told my oncologist I had started cutting my pills in half because of the side effects, I got a freak out. Went on and on about how I should have never done that! Said it isn't like cutting something like a pain pill in half. I really felt like a child who was being lectured by her teacher. Anyway, I said well I couldn't tolerate the SE's of femara, so that's when I was switched to the aromasin.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

to whomever it was talking about the tops of their feet hurting.  Mine do as well.  I've been on letrozole for 3 years 6 mos now.  I do notice that if I am VERY careful about my diet, the pain both in my feet as well as my thighs and hips is greatly reduced.  Oddly enough, my hands seem to hurt no matter what I do (or don't do).  The hand pain started about 3 months ago.

• dventi
    dventi Member Posts: 100

Has anyone experienced frequent hot/cold/hot/cold issues while on Femara? Had blood work and all is good, I take my temperature and I can go from 98.6 down to 97.7!- up and down /up and down

Will have a test to check thyroid.

Thank you!!!

• Vicks1960

Deventi

One of the SEs of femara (letrozole) is hot flashes. Similar to when a gal goes through menopause. I had them for a while when I was in my late 40's then again for a few weeks after MO started me on Letrozole (I was late 60s at the time).

Vickie

• ml143333
    ml143333 Member Posts: 190

How long do the hot flashes last before they stop or do they go on indefinitely?

I have been on Femara for a little over one week. 

• Vicks1960

To be honest, I really don't remember how long the hot flashes lasted

Vickie

• gardengumby

I've been on it for 3.5 years and am still having hot flashes....

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699

gardengumby have you tried magnesium?

• Nomatterwhat
    Nomatterwhat Member Posts: 210

I have been on Femara/Letrozole for about 5 months and had frequent hot flashes until I was on vacation and it was hot and all I did was drink water.  I now drink probably 8-10 bottles of water a day and have not had a hot flash in the last 3 weeks.  (knock on wood).

• gardengumby

I was taking magnesium for awhile, but I have a real problem with (ahem) loose stools (caused, I believe by the letrozole, as I never used to have an issue).  The magnesium made it worse, so I quit taking it.  I do take baths regularly and use magnesium salts, but to be honest haven't noticed a real difference with the hot flashes.  All that said, though, I've never really cared about the hot flashes, as I really like being warm. :)

• aussieched
    aussieched Member Posts: 87

Someone asked how long the hot flushes last when on Femara.  I have been taking it for 8 years and still suffer terribly from hot flushes.

Ched

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    It's weird when a HF starts - its like a switch goes off, I can tell it is coming. Sometimes I time them.

Anyone else have "burning heel syndrome" . This is a new one for me. Doesn't really hurt, just kind of interesting.
  • ml143333
    ml143333 Member Posts: 190

Well - I am adjusting to the hot flashes.  I have always been a cold natured person so when they hit, I really know.  Sometimes I actually sweat which is doable at home, but can be embarrassing at work. 

When I think about it though, I am grateful for the hot flashes because it means I am able to take medicine which will hopefully help ward off recurrence.

Thank you ladies!

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701

It's wierd but was never bothered my those warm flushes on The 5 years I was on Femara. I've been off for 2 years and now they start...what is up with that at 66 years old. Ugh

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

artsee - No Fair!!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

What is happening is our estrogen is coming back up slightly and it is the fluctuation in hormone levels that causes the hot flash.  I went thu surgical menopause and I could always tell w hen one was about to happen. 

I don't get them with my AI (anastrazole now) but I do have night sweats--wake up drenched.

• kittysister

I've been on femara and now aromasin. Have had both hot flashes and night sweats on both. Night sweats are the worst. It seems weird to me, at 66, too. I really don't see how I could have any estrogen left in my body by now. I've always wondered what happens when there really is no more estrogen in your body - what do the AI's take away then?