Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• hipline
    hipline Member Posts: 72

The hot/cold thing is a bother for me too. I seem to experience this for short periods throughout the day and night. I take magnesium and have tried V E too. Would love a remedy for relief

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Kitty, Arimidex is an aromatase inhibitor. It works by blocking the enzyme aromatase, which turns the hormone androgen into small amounts of estrogen in the body.

I hate, hate, hate the hot flashes. I take Effexor and Magnesium, avoid caffeine.... nothing helps. Also, I've "met" some ladies on this forum who are in their 80s and still having hot flashes.

• kittysister
    kittysister Member Posts: 88

Thanks, Poppy K .. yeah, Hipline, I take magnesium, but do drink coffee. Love my coffee. I have actually opened the freezer door and stood there for some relief. It helps. I can't imagine doing that in my 80's, but if I'm still here then, I guess I will be!

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234

Kitty, you have posed a very interesting question. I suppose the AI's suppress the formation of any estrogen.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393

Honeybair, that is what was explained to me about the AL.

Vickie

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

It's my understanding the AI's zap every little estrogen molecule in our body, hence the bone/skin issues, to mention a few. Sigh.

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216

I ran out of magnesium about two weeks ago. In the last few days the number of hot flashes has increased exponentially. And my joints are sore again. Needless to say, I ordered more magnesium and I can't wait for it to get here!

Someone mentioned loose stools from magnesium. I take magnesium glycinate instead of the caltrate, I haven't had any issues with loose poo.

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701

Jen, I had that problem so I went down to an 84 mg magnesium and that seems to keep me off the toilet.

But maybe that's why I've been getting warm flushes a few times a day again.

Artsee

• honeybair

I take 500 mg of magnesium per day which has greatly reduced my ongoing leg and foot cramps during my sleep. That mineral has worked wonders for me.

• gavinsgrandma
    gavinsgrandma Member Posts: 115

Hi ladies, I am new to this thread, I started taking Arimidex last July upon completion of radiation, and I was experiencing horrible headaches so they changed me to tamoxifen and so began the hot flashes and Joint/ bone pain, hand and wrist pain along with trigger thumb. I was then switched to Letrozole same ses but not to bad until a couple of months ago the joints in my hands got so swollen that I can no longer wear my wedding ring, and some day's walking was even difficult, they have since tried one I can't remember and then Raloxifine. Well that lasted 2 week and the joint pain really got bad agin so I took a break for a couple of days and went back on the Letrozole and after reading many of your posts I got some magnesium so I am hoping that will help.

Shary

• MsPharoah
    MsPharoah Member Posts: 224

gavinsgrandma, you have sure been through a lot. I hope you find the right combination so you can benefit from this treatment. I'm almost 2 years on letrozole and I am doing well, but I definitely had to make adjustments. I have heard that things change too, so we all have to be vigilant you are so tenacious...hats off!!

MsP

• alaskamama
    alaskamama Member Posts: 28

Gardengumby: Please do tell about your diet that helps with the strange pains in the tops of your feet (that was me). I started fish oil a week or so ago and feel there may be a bit of improvement but I'll wait another few weeks to judge.

A little FYI: not all of us on Femara are post-menopausal, at least not naturally. AIs are more effective than tamoxifen so my oncologist insisted ... so I get Lupron injections to shut down my ovarian function. As soon as I can have surgery (long story) I will probably have my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed so I don't have to be on Lupron for another ten years. It's a whole 'nother drug I would sooner do without!

Wishing you all well.

• dventi
    dventi Member Posts: 100

Has anyone been on a roller coaster w Femara - I'll feel good , then fatigue and nausea sets in, feel good - back and forth - I'm not liking this drug!

• teachermom4
    teachermom4 Member Posts: 47

Hi All,

My MO switched me from Arimidex to Femara due to hideous joint pain three months ago. I guess this is all a balancing act, right? I have more hot flashes and tingling fingers than before, but the joint pain is so much better--at least so far!! Vaginal dryness has improved as well. We all react so differently I think we each need to keep trying until we (hopefully) find something tolerable.

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118

dventi - I was switched from arimidex to letrozole (Femara) last summer and found that my joint pain has pretty much gone away.  However, I also noticed that I had heartburn or nausea on a somewhat regular basis.  My MO prescribed an antacid (omeprazole) to be taken as needed.  The heartburn and nausea are gone.  You might want to try an over the counter heartburn medicine to see if that helps.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

What what tingling fingers?? I thought I had an onset of carpal tunnel issues! Thanks teach!

• Snowgirl63
    Snowgirl63 Member Posts: 37

Dear Janet ... I was on the same ant-acid and it caused very low magnesium levels. Please beware of side effects as it inhibits absorption of many nutrients as well. I found a drinking app that reminds me to drink and have not been having hot flashes with over 10 glasses of water a day.

Please be careful with the omepramozole! It made me very sick!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

alaskamama - I avoid as many allergens as possible.  it seems like the more difficulties my body must deal with, the more pain I experience.  I also try to avoid inflammatory enhancing foods, such as sugar and gluten - notice the word "try", though.  Sometimes my cravings really get the best of me and I munch out on all the stuff I should avoid.

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045

dventi, yes, a rollercoaster.  I've been on femara 3 years and 2 months.  Side effects come and go.  Very unpredictable, but I have to say either I've gotten used to the side effects, or my body has adjusted, even when I do experience the side effects they're not as bad as the first year.  I think we learn a few things along the way the helps us each individually as well.  Whether it's the supplements, the exercise, I can't say, but for me it has gotten better, what ever the reason.

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118

Snowgirl - Thanks for the warning!  I will look into it.  I read recently that omeprazole is being linked to heart disease.  I might have to reconsider the heartburn issue.

• Snowgirl63
    Snowgirl63 Member Posts: 37

Yea for sure Janet.

Sometimes I wonder why these medications are given so freely. I take ranitidine if I absolutely have to otherwise I make sure I don't lay down after eating, drink lots of water avoid caffeine, and chew tums at the first sign of heart burn. I really got very sick on that medication and I wouldn't recommend it. Make sure you talk to your doctor though.

Just concerned and wouldn't want you to go through the complications of that medication on top of everything else.

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160

I would say don't give up too soon on these meds. It makes sense that there would be side effects as our estrogen levels plummet but more stability later. That's another reason I started with 1/4 for 4 days,then 1/2 for four days, but check with your MD (I did). I am glad I stuck it out: I almost gave up on AI's.

I have experienced side effects in stages, First neurological (tingles) and hot flashes; then joints.

I had to skip one day and had hot flashes then so I think it is fluctuations and changes that cause more problems for some than a long term low level of estrogen.

For joints, taking a longish walk every evening helps me more than anything. I was already taking a lot of magnesium (for years) and have been off dairy, gluten and other foods for years. Avoidance of foods especially helps me with things like tingling and numbness, which I had long before Femara, starting in 2001.

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541

How much magnesium do you gals take and does it help with joint pain and/or cramps in legs and feet? Love, Jean

• JosieDS
    JosieDS Member Posts: 8

My nurse navigator told me not to take magnesium unless my oncologist told me I am low/deficient. Is magnesium something the rest of you have run by your oncologist? How could it hurt/help?

• MsPharoah
    MsPharoah Member Posts: 224

Hi all,I drink a small bottle of diet tonic water every day. Really helps reduce leg cramps significantly. (Sometimes I have it with a little bit of gin) LOL

MsP

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319

Magnesium (Mg), zinc (Zn) and potassium (K) and all interrelated in how they work together and need to be in proper ratios. Too much (or too little) of one or more of them 'out of kilter' can cause all sorts of issues so our Dr should be consulted before adding. Any of them. I do have to add fairly large doses of K all the time and have since 1/2 way through Taxol. This is documented and Dr approved. My Mg and Zn have always stayed in normal range/ratio.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

I asked mygyn about it. She said within reason you pee out what you don't need. I'm taking 250 in am and again on pm total 500.

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

WindingShores -

I absolutely could not handle anastrozole, even at 1/2 dose. I switched to Femara and also started low, 1/4 and now up to 3/4...so far the SE's are manageable. Some mild joint pain in the morning, hot flashes and night sweats, but no pain! I can handle that!

• honeybair

Jean, I take 250 mg of magnesium in the am and the same dosage at bedtime together with my calcium both am and pm. I have far fewer cramps since I have added the extra dose, though I still get them at times after going to bed.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393

I believe some MOs are having their patients stay on Femara (Letrozole) 10 years. However, when I saw my MO last month, he told me I would probably be on it for just 5. I have been on it for a bit over 3-1/2 years now.

Vickie