Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

I think a lot might have to do with your age. For me it's 10 - just hoping in 10 they don't decide on life-long.

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541

The newest research says 10yrs according to my chemo doc at Sloan Kettering. Love, Jean

• zjrosenthal

Well since I'm already 72, I will probably be taking it for the rest of my life. Better than a reoccurance! And yes I do feel I've aged a lot since starting treatment. Best news is I am alive. Love, Jean

• zjrosenthal

Just read a study on glucosamin-condroitin helping with joint pain caused by these drugs. Anyone here tried it? Love, Jean

• Nomatterwhat
    Nomatterwhat Member Posts: 210

Jean, I have taken Glucosamine-Chondroitin with MSM for years for my knees.  With as many vitamins as I take, I actually feel better than I have in years, even with the Femara.  My only complaint is that my body swells when the humidity is really high in the summer.  I feel like a balloon in the Macy's Day parade!!!! 

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

BosumBlues -

Ahhh... estrogen is the fountain of youth. It nurtures our bones, skin, and all of our women-parts. I have only been on AI's a couple months and everything has dried to a prune, skin included.

• zjrosenthal

Nomatterwhat, please stay away from helium. I'd hate to see you float away. Loopy Love, Jean

• Nomatterwhat
    Nomatterwhat Member Posts: 210

Absolutely!!!!  LOL

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

My MO also recommends 10 years. The latest studies show a cluster of reoccurrences at the 7-8 yr mark. So if we can tolerate the SEs, 10yrs is the new standard.

I think I look much, much older after this cancer year. Between the stress, the drugs and the procedures I look and feel so much older.

I get very stiff and achy when I sleep or when I sit for a while. It's hard to get out of the car after a long drive.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063

Yep, BosumBlues and Jilly. I heard someone call the AI an "accelerated aging program". Yet another unfair thing about bc. I hate it. So I don't stint on getting clothes, makeup, good haircuts (now that I have hair again) etc.-- anything to help me feel better. I looked up makeup tips for over 40s and I found a great book called Style Evolution --How to Create Ageless Personal Style in Your 40s and Beyond by Kendall Farr. I try to remind myself that style is not an age, and that youth is not synonymous with beauty.

• ShetlandPony

PoppyK, we were posting at the same time. Yes, I have the same achy stiffness. Do you try to hide it? Sometimes I do. Thank goodness it feels better after I move around.

• ShetlandPony

I think that based on a large study showing 10 years of tamoxifen better than 5, some oncs think it may be similar with AIs, but they always have to consider risk vs benefit for any particular patient. (Bone health, heart health, etc.)

For me at stage iv now, I would be very lucky to stay on letrozole for ten years!

• mhmama
    mhmama Member Posts: 6

Was told in 2008 that I would be on Femara for 5 years but when the 5 years were up, new studies showed that 5 years wasn't enough. Now, I am told I will be on it for life.

• gavinsgrandma
    gavinsgrandma Member Posts: 115

Good morning ladies, the Letrozole roller coaster continues...... I have been back on Letrozole for 2 weeks and that is about how long it takes for the join swelling, joint pain and this time spinal pain to set in, ruined a good day of fishing on Saturday😝 I did not take it Sunday or today as I am going to call MO office and discuss this with them. I really don't know what to do, I am a Hairstylist by trade but these medications seize up my rt thumb and my lt heel so just getting through the day is a challenge... Wishing everyone a blessed day.

Shary

• ShetlandPony

Gavinsgrandma, have you tried an alternative AI (Aromasin or Arimadex) yet?

• zjrosenthal

Oh yes, I can certainly relate to the stiffness and joint pain. Sometimes I feel like I'm 92, not 72. I walk like an old lady. Wait..I am an old lady! Lol.

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Jean, You always bring a smile to my face!

I just turned 50 and feeling at least 80 (which is older than my mama).

ShetlandPony, I don't really try to hide the pain and stiffness. I don't know how I would hide it if I could.

Gavinsgrandma, Are you taking the name brand (Femara) or the generic (letrozole)? I read on this thread that some people are having fewer side effects with letrozole manufactured by different companies. It may be worth exploring.

The SE do seem to lessen the longer I am on letrozole.

• gavinsgrandma
    gavinsgrandma Member Posts: 115

Shetlandpony, I started on Aramidex last July, then they switched me to Tamoxifen, then to Letrozole ( I tolerated that one the best) then came one I cannot remember the name of then onto Raloxifene, 2 day' s on that one and I knew that was not going to work, so now I am back on Letrozole, I can deal with the joint pain but the biggest problem is that it is seizing up my Tendons, I have trigger thumb from this medication, I did get a cortisone injection for several months ago but is has flared back up and I do Hair so this posses a real problem for me and now my Achilles heel is very inflamed.

PoppyK, I am actually on the Letrazole not Femera, and like you ladies said I am 52 and feel like I am 82 most of the time.

Shary

• hopeinfitcher
    hopeinfitcher Member Posts: 16

dear ladyes,I finished 5 y. on Aremidex in last November.now,i have reacurn, in arm,neck.Dr.prescribed Femara

warry about side effect.on Aremidex didn,t feel any problems.So,better take 10 years

wish you all best and God bless you!

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160

Jilly, I had the same experience. Couldn't do anastrazole at all but the ramping up on Femara worked.

Yeah, glad you are managing to get on it!

I was talking with an endocrinologist the other day and we discussed how abrupt hormonal changes from meds are tough for some of us so it makes sense that a gradual intro is easier.

I went through hot flashes then joint pains in different phases of a couple of weeks but feel fine now. (Even after 2nd MX a few days ago!)

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

hopeinfitch - That is terrible news! So sorry.

I've been on Femara two months now and I think the HF and joint issues are much better than they were initially.

Wishing you ZERO side effects.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219

My MO said the 10 year studies were taking 5 years of letrozole after 5 years of tamoxifen, but not 10 years on letrozole. So he said no benefit had been established and for me to stop after 5 years, which I did. I would like to know if there is a study showing 10 years, all on letrozole, out there somewhere. Anybody know?

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118

Jacee - My onc said the same thing as yours - Tamoxifen and letrozole for 10 yrs, letrozole for 5yrs.  However, she did say that things might change between now and when I am scheduled to stop (mid 2017).  We are planning to do the 5 years and see where research is at that point.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219

Jane tanned...thanks. I hope the next two years go quick for you. I was so excited to be done. Things are changing quickly in research. With so many on AI's, there should be a great deal of info available in the coming years.

• cbaird99
    cbaird99 Member Posts: 27

How about fatigue with femara? Been on it about 6 weeks. Sleepiness and yawning will hit me at random parts of the day, this is not the norm for me at all. Of course everything little new thing that happens I think its a SE when often it is probably something else:)

• blownoffcourse
    blownoffcourse Member Posts: 27

I had been noticing that I was a lot more tired, too. When I went for my 3 month check in last week I found out that I was back to anemic - which I've been off and on since chemo - and my B12 had fallen so low it barely registered on the test. So maybe have that checked the next time you have blood work.

• cbaird99
    cbaird99 Member Posts: 27

Good idea SDM000 I will do that:)

• susanhg123
    susanhg123 Member Posts: 257

Hot flashes. Effexor is used off-label for hot flashes and has the wonderful side effect of helping with depression :) I started low @ 37.5 mg of Extended release and worked up to 150 mg of ER per day. I have very very few hot or warm flashes. But==you have to take it every day. It is one of those unforgiving drugs (like progesterone only oral contraceptives--welcome to the baby). Every day at the same time.

Femara. I swear it was invented by some Pharm D who hates his mom.

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118

BosumBlues - What sex drive?  Sad

• zjrosenthal

Sex drive? More like sex breakdown. Anyone hear of AAA for a non working mojo? Tired of sitting on the roadside waiting for a towtruck. Teehee! Love, Jean