Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stop Smoking Support Thread

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,104
    edited January 2019
    Options

Alice - WOO HOO! congrats to you too. I like the idea of the urge or thought reminding you to take deep breaths. I'm going to add that to my routine.

I've been taking a chair yoga class that really focuses on breathing. Even though I was a singer for years, I don't think I ever was breathing correctly, deeply or with purpose. It's sure helped me to go to sleep more quickly when I can't shut off my mind.

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 755
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thought once my mother in law was placed in a nursing home and the caregiving hours got less and less for my husband and I, I would be less triggered I could attempt another step down.  I'm still smoking---4 or 5 per day.  Things with the in laws (husbands siblings) just got worse. No one is speaking to one another.  Seems we are stuck with MILs stuff.  House is being rented 1-Feb.  Fun times but more positively, we're almost done with this chapter.   

Also, approaching the high anxiety got another appointment coming up already!  I really need to work on the new normal of all this protocol.  Emotionally that is.  Two weeks before appt. time---anxious, nervous, go get blood done.  Wait for results.  Appt. day--All is well,  come back down to less anxious for a time and then it starts all over again!  I really do want my new normal to not include cigarettes! I do like the breathing --it has worked for me.  My daughter bought me some weights for XMas that I wear around the house on weekends doing my chores to get some sort of exercise in.  I did just join a class here at work!!!  Walking has not been happening due to weather, so happy this class is free and I don't have to leave the building!

So, it's really nice to have a place to write down some thoughts, and all you guys have done and post is a help for me as I'm not giving up on quitting.  I will do it.  I know I can, I just have to quit making excuses, accept things for what they are and just get it done.  As soon as I get my 1st Prolia shot and nothing goes wrong!!!!   LOL   

• minustwo
    edited January 2019
    Options

This is kind long, but it's from my Chair Yoga class. CTM -sorry about all the stress. Give this a try. It really does help me calm down my mind & fall asleep when my brain won't stop running. image alt="">

• minustwo
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hmmm - sorry the page won't copy. And neither will a link. I'll try to figure out how to share. It's called "Relaxing Breath 4-7-8". Here's a link from the web.

https://www.drweil.com/videos-features/videos/brea...

• minustwo
    edited January 2019
    Options

CTM - when do you get your first Prolia? I went for #6 yesterday but there's apparently a shortage and my doc hadn't received their supply. Luckily I haven't had side effects.

LISAMARIE - where are you girl? Hope all is OK.

Happy New Year to everyone else.

• ctmbsikia
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hey Minus2.  Thanks for the link.  Breathing techniques do help with stress, and even when you are having one of those cravings!  I've gone a couple days driving past the store, so I haven't bought any-- I asked the husband to use the basement and keep his out of view if possible. He is still going to give them to me when I ask, and I always ask!   That gets me to about 4 per day.  .  2 am's and 2 pm;s, easier to work on the AM ones 1st--maybe next week.  

My 1st Prolia is Feb. 11th.  I just went and did my lab work and went into the MOs office to be sure they can now see my new insurance card and remind them to check as this injection may need a pre authorization.  I'm very happy to hear that you have no side effects.  I trust all will be well with me too.  My sister has been on Xgeva, and she is doing fine.

• ctmbsikia
    edited February 2019
    Options

Well a trip to the dentist should be the last nail in quitting smoking coffin for me. I've made the association that putting a smoke in my mouth has caused the issues I am now facing. I'm done.

• minustwo
    edited February 2019
    Options

ctm - sorry to hear about mouth & tooth issues. When I quit, the reason was bones & teeth - not yet cancer. Apparently smoking is as bad for bones as drinking sodas. Somehow I quit both at the same time. I myst have been mad. Quitting coke was not any easier than quitting smoking.

Hi to all you ex-smokers out there - and to those still trying.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,943
    edited February 2019
    Options

ctmbsikia, my top teeth had gotten really bad the last few years, to the point where I had them pulled last spring. I put it off until my mother passed. She was 97 and still had all her teeth, and although she was a cool person, she could be a bit judgy about things like that. I'm glad the one that broke that was visible didn't happen until after she was gone. Then when kidney cancer was found right before my lumpectomy, it still didn't sink in all the way, until I had an appointment with the urologist, and he said I HAD to quit even if it meant slapping a patch on me in the OR. And the radiologist also said I'd have to quit before rads. I'm embarrassed that it took all that to get me to quit.

• ctmbsikia
    edited February 2019
    Options

I did pretty good yesterday.  My husband is killer.  I've asked him to leave them in the truck, go outside, do something because if they're sitting there I'll probably grab one and have it!!  I had 1 last night--nothing so far today.  I hope I can do better in the evenings.  My scaling and planning procedure is set for Mar 6 which is why I'm trying right now to be done.  Surely as soon as they're digging in there I won't be able to anyway----and everything I've read says smokers are the ones that do not respond well to this treatment.  Smoking hinders your gums from healing.  Scared I may loose teeth after this, but it is what it is.  Appreciate the support and hearing your experiences.

Alice, do you mind my asking what you did after you had yours pulled?  I've read implants don't work on many smokers either.....so  this is all soaking in and giving me more reason to be done for good.

Minus 2-I remember being a Pepsi gal 1st, then I switched to Coke, and Coke Zero.   I can't remember why I quit soda but I did.  I was around 40 yrs old at the time.  I don't miss it at all, in fact,  I don't think I could swallow a brown/dark soda now.  Just the occasional ginger ale is all I buy to have around the house now.

• alicebastable
    edited February 2019
    Options

ctmbsikia, I got same-day dentures. Even though they're the (sort of) inexpensive starter ones, they look better than my own teeth had in decades. I'll get my final super-customized ones next month. My bottom teeth are okay except for missing and damaged molars. I want an implant on each side on the bottom, but that's where the possible metal allergy comes in. Maybe I can finally cope with that this year - I just didn't have the energy or time to fight for the testing between everything else going on last year. The question came up when I had a hip replacement in 2010, and the orthopedist went with a non-metallic implant to be on the safe side. I mentioned it when I had the breast biopsy, and that radiologist didn't leave a clip in. So I get treated like I have an allergy, but I haven't ever been tested.

• minustwo
    edited February 2019
    Options

ctm - I've had several root canals, but only one implant. It was a couple of years after I quit smoking, but it still took much longer for the bone to grow around the metal implant and the gums to heal. Hoping your experience is easier.

Oh I wish I could bash your DH on the head. Surely he can see how very hard this is for you. Is there anyway to get him to smoke outside or in the garage? Horrible to play these games, but can you either batt your eyelashes or else cry? I remember when LisaMarie was trying to quit, her partner at the time insisted on smoking everywhere in the house. I may not remember exactly, but I think she said the worst was his smoking either in the master bedroom or the master bath with the door open.

I had another friend who quit. The had never smoked in that house. But every day, every day, day after day he sat on the patio smoking and said "well I guess you don't love me anymore since you never come sit with me." She did end up starting again.

Sending good wishes & strong thoughts.

• ctmbsikia
    edited March 2019
    Options

Wanted to drop in and say hello.  1st dental appt. went well.  I didn't smoke for a few days.  Now, I do steal one or 2 puffs from husband mostly in the evenings.  So, I've stepped back to puffs!!!  I haven't had a whole cigarette since Mar 3 or 4.  I'm still Ok all day at work, driving, and not picking up any at the store.  Somedays I avoid the store all together.

Hope all you quitters are doing well.

• minustwo
    edited March 2019
    Options

ctm - thanks for checking in. Sounds like you are making progress. JUST FOR TODAY I will not smoke. What is the dental plan going forward?

• alicebastable
    edited March 2019
    Options

I hit my 6 month mark of not smoking on Sunday, but I didn't even think about it at the time. I haven't slipped up yet, but I'm lucky that I'm not around other smokers.

• minustwo
    edited March 2019
    Options

alice - HOORAY. 6 months is a big milestone. Even better that you didn't think about it. Congrats.

Yes, it's so easy to say, well I'll just have a one. I know some people who have been social smokers. Not me. If I have one, I'm immediately hooked again. As I said before, I'll always be a smoker - just one who is not smoking. I don't dare take the chance.

• CarolAnnieLumpLump
    CarolAnnieLumpLump Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2019
    Options

Checking in today on how everyone is doing here. I am still not smoking! It will be 9 months on the 21st for me. What a great accomplishment it has been. I do still use my ecig but not as much. I am trying to get my head geared up for putting that down soon. Will be having my yearly mammy in May along with my low dose lung scan. Spring is in the air here in Michigan. It's been a long cold winter. Our sky has been gray for so long I wanted to dance outside when the sun came out yesterday! haha

Best to all,

Carol

• minustwo
    edited March 2019
    Options

Oh I just love everyone checking in!!! CarolAnnie - it gets better & better. Nine months is great. I agree about the sun. It makes such a difference in my mood.

• FrenchPorsche
    FrenchPorsche Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi. I’m joining this thread because of nicotine. I haven’t had a cigarette in over four years but I vape nicotine (and cbd for chronic pain). I’m on a low nicotine liquid but haven’t managed to quit the addiction. I’m due for a mastectomy in a few weeks and recently read that the issues with surgery, particularly with reconstruction, relate to nicotine in your body. I never knew this and now I feel like a naughty school girl vaping when I know it could affect the outcome of the surgery.

It’s been a very stressful time and I really don’t feel like I have the courage to stop right now. In the meantime I have added 0mg liquid to my 6mg to reduce the potency.

It feels good to have got that off my chest! :-)

• minustwo
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hi French - yup, the skin & tissues don't heal as well if you're smoking (or vaping w/nicotine). Some docs now actually test before surgery to make sure you're compliant & won't proceed if you have any nicotine in your system. And yup - it's a stressful time to quit.

There are lots of good tips on this thread about how others finally made it. Many after several tries. And there are lots of good people who are still trying. Each of us has shared the ways we learned to cope. Hopefully others will join in. We've got your back!!!

• FrenchPorsche
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thanks for the response. We have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow and I’m sitting here vaping. I can’t understand why I can’t seem to click myself into gear about this. It seems so simple - just put it down and don’t pick it up again, but I keep doing it.

I’m so worried my vaping is going to limit my reconstruction options... but somehow I’m not really taking it seriously (enough).

I’m so disappointed with myself today. :-

• ctmbsikia
    edited April 2019
    Options

Good luck w/ the surgeon, French

I am still having one or 2.  It's been a crazy busy time.  I can go a few days in a row without smoking at all. I eventually give in though.

To put it in the best prospective I can--- my husband and I just went to a funeral Friday.  I think this was my first funeral since diagnosis.  Husband's cousin, lung cancer, 62 years old!  Yes, he was a life long smoker.  Aggressive small cell cancer, he didn't respond to treatment, and the whole deal lasted 8 short months!  Time to work on the husband quitting again because I am so there.  I do feel I can do better if he were to stop or at least not smoke anywhere near me!

Hope everyone is doing well these days.

• minustwo
    edited April 2019
    Options

ctm - yes - it's much easier to have someone else to quit with. Not to mention it's much easier if there if you can avoid being around anyone who smokes for a couple of months.

French - Can you cut in half the nicotine in the vape immediately? And then cut it back again every week until you still have the hand motion of vaping but not the nicotine.

• FrenchPorsche
    edited April 2019
    Options

thanks MinusTwo - yes, that is my plan. Sadly it isn’t going to help me in the short term as I’m going to immediate reconstruction and my surgery is scheduled for 18 April. I have had to adjust my expectations based on my smoking which is a real disappointment.

Onwards and upwards though. Got to get this done.

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi -- I have a question about smoking that I hope someone can answer. I am a smoker and will be starting radiation next week. I want to quit smoking, but there is no way while going through all this breast cancer stress. How dangerous is it to smoke during radiation?? The smoking didn't affect my surgery healing, but I do worry about the radiation. I know I can't quit before radiation, but can you tell me what the extent of harm the smoking will do. Why does smoking make radiation dangerous????

• Christene502
    Christene502 Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2019
    Options

Hi All, You can say I'm a life long smoker. You would think I would have quit cold turkey when I found out I had MBC. But, nope. As I tell each and every doctor who asks if I smoke and say yes, I tell them it's The Worst Habit anyone can have. Nothing compares. And they all agree with me. Boy, would I love to quit for my health and of course the expense. I wish there was a way...I need help. If anyone can give me advise on how to quit, it would be greatly appreciated.

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    edited April 2019
    Options

Christine --- I hope you get some helpful answers, because I'm in the same situation. I won't even quit for radiation and that is crazy!!!

• minustwo
    edited April 2019
    Options

Jessie - I have never heard about any correlation between smoking & radiation one way or the other. The only thing I've read it about the problems with wound healing. If VJS still has this thread pegged as a favorite, maybe she'll see your question. She has a wealth of knowledge. I can imagine trying to quit while under the stress of active treatment is a royal nightmare.

Christine - Lots of good tips on this thread. Most of us quit several times before we finally made it. Again, I hope VJS is still getting these threads since she has written a great booklet about quitting that she has offered free to any BCO members on this thread.

I finally made it in 2007, but NOTE - I am still a smoker & will always be a smoker - just one who does not smoke. You need to find substitutes & make you own set of rewards. Exercise helps. More later.

• ctmbsikia
    edited April 2019
    Options

Jessie, I too am not aware of any correlation with smoking and radiation treatment.  I lit up as soon as I was out of there for that day.  I went to the local hospital for treatment and the place was packed with people and the whole experience of being there was really stressful for me so there was no way I could think about quitting just then.  I just had to get through it and I did.

I've been quitting smoking everyday for 2 years at least. Even before my BC diagnosis.  I've identified many triggers and I have been successful in conquering some of them.  I was once a pack a day person, then 1/2, and then after treatment I was down to 4, today I am @ 2 (unless it's a bad day).  I don't see myself ever smoking a 1/2 pack in a days time again!  That's how I've been trying to manage.  I sometimes can go for a few days in a row before caving.  I am currently working on the coffee 1st thing in the morning. To eliminate that craving I guess I will have to stop drinking it.  I will as warmer weather comes, anything that helps my mind ease into a new habit.  The longer I go the easier it becomes.  When I fail I don't beat myself about it.  I go to bed and wake up the next morning and try again. I may hold the record for the longest time to quit ever!  I will get there.

• alicebastable
    edited April 2019
    Options

My radiologist said I HAD to quit before radiation started. Then I was told to quit by the urologist who was going to remove my kidney due to cancer there - caused partly by smoking. He prescribed the patch (cheaper that way), and I did procrastinate, but a little more than a week before surgery, I threw out my last pack and lighter and slapped that first patch on, on the way back from an out-of-town vacation. I stuck with it and have never had a cigarette or vape or anything. I stuck with the patches five or six weeks, I think, then decided I didn't need them. And I didn't. I had three surgeries, countless scans, and a long course of radiation between June and December last year. Stopping smoking was the EASY part. Really, look at it that way, thinking of how much you've gone through, and that becoming a non-smoker is your REWARD. Now I'm off to buy some cotton shirts. I always wore blends because of cigarette stench sticking to natural fabrics. Now I can wear cotton without smelling like a compost heap.