Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stop Smoking Support Thread

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,107
    edited May 2019
    Options

I miss this thread. I'm assuming everyone who wanted to quit has succeeded. I'm assuming no one else wants or needs to quit - so all of our wanderings about quitting are not needed at this time.

Today I wanted to smoke in the worst way. For those of you who don't know, I quit for my final time on 7/11/07 - coming up on 12 years. I will always be a smoker, just one who is not smoking. But if I'd been around a smoking friend today, I believe I would have bummed one. Sigh. No - I don't think about it every day anymore, or even every week. And maybe not every month. But sometimes the desire just overwhelms me. Or maybe it's the memory. Another big sigh.

Lisa Marie - did you get married? Not Broken - is your Mom with you for the summer? April - where are you living? And all our other friends. If you have this pegged to your favorites, I hope you'll check in.

• belleeast
    belleeast Member Posts: 96
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi all , well I fell off the wagon after quitting for 6/7 months. A lot of stress dealing with my Mom's health issues, surgery, Dr appts siblings etc etc....

Plus gaining 20 lbs had me down and out too

So I am smoking Virginia Slim's super slim they remind me of swizzle sticks🤔

I'm being more conscious of what I eat, have lost 10 lbs . Hoping when the time is right that will help me .I would like to lose the last 10 before I start.

I tried the Chantix again, didn't feel well with it

I plan on trying it again the end of the month.

• minustwo
    edited May 2019
    Options

Belle - thanks for posting. Sorry about the relapse, but I don't think very many of us quit the first time, or the second, or the third.... Once upon a time many years ago - I quit for more than a year. My DH said 'oh you can have just one if we're out with clients when the wife smokes' to make her feel comfortable. Hmmmm No I couldn't & not helpful. I didn't even try again for many years.

"funny" story. I smoked when I met this same unhelpful DH. We got divorced after 20 years and one of his reasons was ... I smoked.

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 755
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi there.  I keep going back and forth with the smoking.  I wake up and quit everyday. I manage a couple of days smoke free here and there.  I have broken down and bought some, but there are still plenty of times I am able to fight this urge.  The only positive I can find (if you want to call it that) is I am pretty consistent in the amount of smoking I do.   It is down from 1/2-1 pack a day before BC to somedays 0, somedays, 2, others, 3 or 4.  Worse days being 6 or 7.  I'll never be a 1/2 pack a day smoker again, so I'm sorta staying focused on less is better, don't buy any (my husband has an endless supply!!) and just keep trying.

Hope everyone is doing well health wise.  I am glad to be done at the dentist, I just go back for a crown later this month.  In June I see BS after an MRI.  

• minustwo
    edited May 2019
    Options

ctm - thanks for posting. Sounds like you're on your own specific track. Down below 1/2 a pack is progress. I can't imagine how I could ever quit if I lived with another smoker - so you're doing OK.

Agree about the dentist. I'd rather cut my arm off than have dental work. Sigh. Be sure to let us know how your MRI turns out.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2019
    Options

My doctors didn’t say anything about quitting smoking before surgery or radiation. However, before my lumpectomy the anesthesiologist asked me when was the last time I had had an EKG. It was recent and normal. Also had I elected to have reconstruction my options were limited because of smoking. I wasn’t going to have it anyway but still smoking was a factor if I had.

I’ve quit a zillion times too. I’m always trying to quit but I don’t beat myself up over it. It’s a very strong addiction. Also I love coffee so I’ll have to either quit drinking it altogether or cut back. I don’t take cigarettes with me when I go out anywhere and no smoking in the house or cars. It’s been that way for some time so at least that’s something.

Diane

• minustwo
    edited May 2019
    Options

Edwards750 - yup, I had to quit drinking coffee before I finally quit smoking. And quit a cocktail or a glass of wine too. Some years later I was able to start drinking coffee & alcohol again w/o craving a smoke. I have several friends who have gradually quit by cutting out available smoking places like you're doing. Glad that you posted.

I quit in the house. Then two weeks later I quit in the car. Of course I refused to go see any friends that were more than 30 minutes away for awhile. Another two weeks I started Chantix - smoking only on the front porch - and after a week of that I was able to stop smoking. It wasn't easy & it wasn't fun. I had to find hand to mouth things to do like eating sunflower seeds in the shells. I started exercising - actually at Curves at first. Every time I wanted a smoke - rain or shine, hot or cold - I stormed out of the house and walked around a couple of blocks. Each one of us has to find our own path. Lots of good tips in earlier pages of this thread.

• ctmbsikia
    edited May 2019
    Options

Diane I am the same way with not beating myself up over it.  If I do, the worse I feel which in turn makes me weaker and reaching for a smoke to cope.  I don't like that this is such a long process, but I hold out hope for myself that sincerely one day I will wake up and be smoke free.  Right now, I just don't know when that day will be.  

I haven't tried quitting the coffee yet but it has crossed my mind as the weather is getting warmer.  -2, I do wish I could get my husband to quit.  All I can do is encourage him to try.  Currently he's out of patches though!  He is terribly addicted.  Awful.  I am sure he has COPD.  I don't harp on him too much.  Negative vibes send him the wrong direction, so after I say something regarding his smoking, I always try to end it on a positive note.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2019
    Options

I have quit for a few months multiple times. I did use the patch for 3 months but I wasn’t committed enough to truly quit plus I gained 10 pounds right away and was teased unmercifully at work about it. I am small so 10 pounds was a lot and I couldn’t afford to be buying any more clothes so obviously all my clothes were too tight. I shouldn’t have let them get the best of me but they did so it wasn’t long before I was smoking again. Once I had a zillion different crises there was zero chance I was going to quit.

My husband doesn’t smoke so I feel for you worrying about him smoking too esp if you think he has COPD.

All we can do is give it our best shot!

Diane

• minustwo
    edited May 2019
    Options

Edwards - your time will come. Thanks for posting.

• CarolAnnieLumpLump
    CarolAnnieLumpLump Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2019
    Options

Quitting is so hard, I am glad you guys aren't being too hard on yourselves about your progress. It's been 11 months since I smoked a real cig. Still using my Mistic 1.8 ml ecig though. Tonight we were at an outside party and some friends were smoking, it smelled so good to me. I dream that I am smoking sometimes still. In my dreams I know I shouldn't be smoking so I have another one knowing it's going to end soon. My last pack is still sitting in my smoking spot with a sticky note on it that says "Not today Satan". It's been sitting there 3/4 full of cigs since June 21, 2018. Yes, I do think about smoking one sometimes but I know those would be the nastiest tasting cigs ever so that keeps me from trying. Last Friday I had my yearly low dose ct lung scan with good results. Monday I had my first 3D mammy since rads ended in November. My mammy came back clear. YAY!!! Wishing you all the best on your quit journey. Minus Two, thanks for keeping this thread going. This place has helped me get through some dark times.

Carol

• minustwo
    edited May 2019
    Options

CarolAnnie - A YEAR ANNIVERSARY coming up - good for you. I can relate. It's been 12 years for me & I still enjoy the smell on the breeze. And yes, I occasionally dream I'm smoking - or turn around from doing something and think 'wouldn't a cigarette be good'. Sigh. Not for me. Great news about your lung CT and your mammo. Congrats & thanks for sharing the results.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2019
    Options

I know I haven't been posting in a bit, but I do still lurk on BCO. Loopy

A couple of months ago, I passed my 6th anniversary of quitting and didn't even realize it! I can't believe it. I guess now that I don't smoke or think about it much, it is not in the forefront of my mind anymore. I still do miss it though...Minus, my 80th birthday is still 16 years away, but hey, I am looking forward to our smoke...LOL

I am glad you are keeping this thread going for all of those who are still on this journey. As you are fond of saying, we are all smokers although some of us just choose not to smoke for today. One day, one minute, one second at a time, it can be done. I smoked from the age of 12 until just past my 58th birthday. That is a very long time ladies and so if I can do this as they say...there is hope for all!

Hugs to everyone who is struggling and to those who have conquered the beast...at least for now! xo

• minustwo
    edited June 2019
    Options

April - so glad to hear from you. Where did you land when you moved? Yes, I'm still up for a great reunion. I think we based it on my 80th B-day since I was the oldest - so only 5 years to wait. At the time, most of you were on the East coast. I could do with a trip east. I think I can find LisaMarie and Not Broken. Hopefully the others will chime in.

For those of you who are still trying - April is correct. "Just for today, I will not smoke". Funny how every once in awhile the desire for a cigarette floats into my head and I remember how good it was. But I know I can't have even one puff.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2019
    Options

I landed back in the town that I raised my kids in. It is a small town in central CT (9 square miles, 17K people) and I work in the next town over. My new job is with the same agency, making less money but doing something that while it keeps me very busy, it is not as complicated or difficult as my previous position (which is why I make less money..LOL) so it is okay even if I miss my much larger paycheck. Since we lost the contract for the other program to a for profit company (that is a first for the region as it was always a contract given to non-profits like the agency I work for) I opted to stay put and accept the job I now hold.

My husband has not been well these last several years and is now on disability. He has been hospitalized several times for a few weeks at a clip making life a bit more complicated these days. Sometimes I wonder how I stay sane and stay quit if you know what I mean.

Talk at ya later...gotta run. xo

• CarolAnnieLumpLump
    CarolAnnieLumpLump Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2019
    Options

Celebrating today, it's my one year quit date! Quitting sure has it's ups and downs but overall was easier than I thought it would be especially considering the cancer treatments and stress related to having cancer. Good Lord what a year it's been. Through it all there is one thing that I have realized, that is that we are so much stronger than we think we are. Coming to terms with not being able to do it all was a game changer for me.

We are about underwater up here in Michigan. It's been raining and raining. The poor farmers haven't been about to plant their crops. Lots of flooded roads. Even the great lakes are higher than normal.

• minustwo
    edited June 2019
    Options

CarolAnnie - Kudos and balloons and firecrackers!!! A year is a real milestone.

My natural self agrees that cancer forced me to learn I couldn't do it all. Boo. And I hate it but I'm still trying to learn. With lymphadema and neuropathy, I do pay for it if I over extend. That counts even at Silver Sneakers, which is a mild exercise for seniors. Unfortunately I've always felt you get out what you put in, and I still don't know how to put in half, or go at half speed. Oh well, I'm still trying.

Sorry about your flooding. Watching the news it looks like a real mess.

• minustwo
    edited July 2019
    Options

Can't believe i actually forgot to check in on Thursday. My anniversary. The last time I quit smoking was 7-11-07. Twelve years!!! For those of you who made it - congratulations. For those still trying, please note that I said "the last time I quit"... Most of us tried a number of times before it finally took. It's the hardest think I have ever done. As for me, I am a smoker. I will always be a smoker. But that is a fact about my personality and I'm a smoker who is NOT smoking. I know I can't ever smoke "just one" or I'm sunk.

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited July 2019
    Options

Wow, congratulations Minus. I am so glad you are still here encouraging everyone and setting a good example 12 years!!!!

I am happy to be 5 1/2 years smoke free. I hardly ever think about smoking again, even around other smokers. I didn’t think I would ever be in this position.

To everyone trying to quit and those who are trying to remain smoke free, I hope this group will help give you the strength to succeed.

• minustwo
    edited July 2019
    Options

OK - who else is still out there that was in on our initial pact to meet when I'm 80? Check in or we'll change the trip & go to the west coast and see VJ instead of to the east coast.

JB - glad to see you. We were fortunate to meet and have lunch last year. And I've met a few people from other threads. It's always such fun to really meet who you've been "talking" to.

• minustwo
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi to everyone still checking in. Below is a good recap for those still working on quitting. Remember - very few of us made it the first try. Don't give up.

Quitting Smoking:10 Ways to Resist Tobacco

SELF – Mayo Clinic

For most tobacco users, tobacco cravings or urges to smoke can be powerful. But you're not at the mercy of these cravings.

When an urge to use tobacco strikes, remember that although it may be intense, it will probably pass within five to 10 minutes whether or not you smoke a cigarette or take a dip of chewing tobacco. Each time you resist a tobacco craving, you're one step closer to stopping tobacco use for good.

Here are 10 ways to help you resist the urge to smoke or use tobacco when a tobacco craving strikes.

1. Try nicotine replacement therapy.

Ask your doctor about nicotine replacement therapy. The options include:

• Prescription nicotine in a nasal spray or inhaler
    • Over-the-counter nicotine patches, gum, and lozenges
    • Prescription non-nicotine stop-smoking medications such as bupropion (Zyban) and varenicline (Chantix)

Short-acting nicotine replacement therapies—such as nicotine gum, lozenges, nasal sprays, or inhalers—can help you overcome intense cravings. These short-acting therapies are generally safe to use in combination with long-acting nicotine patches or one of the non-nicotine medications.

Electronic cigarettes have had a lot of attention recently as an alternative to smoking traditional cigarettes. However, more studies are needed to determine the effectiveness of electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation and the long-term safety of these devices.

2. Avoid triggers.

Urges for tobacco are likely to be strongest in the situations where you smoked or chewed tobacco most often, such as at parties or bars, or while feeling stressed or sipping coffee. Identify your trigger situations and have a plan in place to avoid them entirely or get through them without using tobacco.

Don't set yourself up for a smoking relapse. If you usually smoked while you talked on the phone, for instance, keep a pen and paper nearby to occupy yourself with doodling rather than smoking.

3. Delay

If you feel like you're going to give in to your tobacco craving, tell yourself that you must first wait 10 more minutes—and then do something to distract yourself for that period of time. Try going to a public, smoke-free zone. These simple tricks may be enough to derail your tobacco craving.

4. Chew on it.

Give your mouth something to do to fight a tobacco craving. Chew on sugarless gum or hard candy, or munch on raw carrots, celery, nuts, or sunflower seeds—something crunchy and satisfying.

5. Don't have 'just one'.

You might be tempted to have just one cigarette to satisfy a tobacco craving. But don't fool yourself into believing that you can stop there. More often than not, having just one leads to another— and you may end up using tobacco again.

6. Get physical.

Physical activity can help distract you from tobacco cravings and reduce their intensity. Even short bursts of physical activity—such as running up and down the stairs a few times—can make a tobacco craving go away. Get out for a walk or jog.

If you're stuck at home or the office, try squats, deep knee bends, pushups, running in place, or walking up and down a set of stairs. If physical activity doesn't interest you, try prayer, needlework, woodwork, or journaling. Or do chores for distraction, such as vacuuming or filing paperwork.

7. Practice relaxation techniques.

Smoking may have been your way to deal with stress. Resisting a tobacco craving can itself be stressful. Take the edge off stress by practicing relaxation techniques, such as deep-breathing exercises, muscle relaxation, yoga, visualization, massage, or listening to calming music.

8. Call for reinforcements.

Touch base with a family member, friend, or support group member for help in your effort to resist a tobacco craving. Chat on the phone, go for a walk together, share a few laughs, or get together to commiserate about your cravings. A free telephone quit line—800-QUIT-NOW (800-784-8669)—provides support and counseling

9. Go online for support.

Join an online stop-smoking program. Or read a quitter's blog and post encouraging thoughts for someone else who might be struggling with tobacco cravings. Learn from how others have handled their tobacco cravings.

10. Remind yourself of the benefits.

Write down or say out loud the reasons you want to stop smoking and resist tobacco cravings. These might include:

• Feeling better
    • Getting healthier
    • Sparing your loved ones from secondhand smoke
    • Saving money

Remember, trying something to beat the urge is always better than doing nothing. And each time you resist a tobacco craving, you're one step closer to being totally tobacco-free.

Updated: 2016-11-15

Publication Date: 2007-03-27

Originally Appeared on Self

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 545
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi ladies, ex smokers, smokers who do not smoke and smokers.

I stopped 12 years after my primary diagnosis , 1 year ago. A year after I was diagnosed with huge and multiple lung metastasis. I did not smoke much or even regularly but habit has been with me in one way u another for almost 30 years so I know it affected me. Metastasis would have taken a few years to develop to the size and quantity they are now. So the bad news is that human stupidity , my in this particular case has no limits- smoking after cancer diagnosis is an example. The good news is that I stopped before my metastasis diagnosis so I did not have guilt compounded attempt to stop smoking. Another good news that I do not have a craving for it ! I do not think about it other than with relief that I am free from it , I do not feel tempted when in a company of smokers , I know that I will not enjoy it if I try. This is the thing which I believe you can enjoy only if you are addicted to it so no point in trying if you are not. Freedom at last after many years of guilt and being hindered by it in many ways . Good luck to all those who are trying to quit it . I believe the key is to see it not as leaving part of you but obtaining freedom from addiction ..

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,053
    edited September 2019
    Options

From time to time I check out this thread. I quit smoking over 30 years ago. It remains one of the all time smartest things I ever did, and I encourage anyone to stop.

Are there any apps these days to assist people in quitting smoking? Or websites devoted to the cause? I would use any resource available. Hypnosis even. I remember writing the American Cancer Society and American Lung Association to get literature on how to quit. I filled a jar with hard candy and gum and turned to that when I craved a cigarette. I had pencil and paper ready to doodle when I was on the phone instead of smoking. I kept scrunchies on my wrist to give me something to fidget with when I was anxious. These days, you can by all manner of fidget spinners and and gadgets to occupy your hands.

I did have to adjust to not being around other smokers as often. That’s hard for some people, but it’s a big temptation to go along with the crowd. I gradually found other activities to do with nonsmokers, and that helped.

Cigarettes are so expensive, I don’t know how people afford it. The cost is another big reason to quit.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,053
    edited September 2019
    Options

Regarding stress: My dh would quit for a few months, then start back when the stresses of life hit. Problems with his ex and child custody always loomed.

He truly wanted to stop for good but said, “Then something happens to stress me out and I pick up the cigarettes again.”

He seemed to think eventually all stress would be eliminated never to return and he would finally be able to quit for good.

But I said, “Look, you’re always going to have some amount of stress in your life. What you need to do is develop other ways of dealing with the stress. You need to anticipate what you will do when troubles pop up, so that you turn to something else, and not reach for the cigarettes. “

This resonated with him. Instead of being surprised or blindsided by problems, he began to realize that they do crop up from time to time and he learned that life is just like that.He got a prescription for Wellbutrin to help him quit gradually, and he, too, hasnt smoked for over 25 years.

• ctmbsikia
    edited September 2019
    Options

My dear husband is an ass. Did I just say that? Over the years I have learned that he has abandonment /security issues due to a troubled family life. 7 kids, alcoholic father, divorce, throw some abuse in there as well. He left home at 15. I understand his addiction issues came from emotional trauma---BUT after all these years and KNOWING you now have lung disease, for Christs' sake try and help yourself!

This is a recent diagnosis, I'm giving him an "acceptance" period to try and change. I know how hard it is because although I've tried to help myself after BC, I am still smoking--his cigarettes! Hoping maybe another Dr. visit and banning him to the outdoors might help.

I know I'm placing blame on him for me still smoking, if I really wanted to stop I suppose I could. I've been telling myself I'm a non smoker each and everyday for at least the last 3 yrs!!! It's just so damn hard sitting and talking to him at night and getting through that craving. Yet, if I don't come home, I will trigger his "where are you" "don't leave me issues" I'm at a loss. I'm literally down to 2 per day-although there are some mornings I give in and those days would make it 3. I've been stuck here since my diagnosis or just after. If a nurse or Doc asks me if I'm still smoking, I don't lie, I tell them I'll never be a 1/2-to a pack a day smoker again. They, so far, have been supportive of that. I'm trying to be supportive of my husband as well. Maybe the best thing for him is for me to just do it, and lead by example. I should set another date -1st day of fall 23-Sept?

Thanks Minus2 for posting those 10 tips. I am glad I was able to conquer some of those, and understand why I smoke. Concentrating on #5 and #7 (especially #7!!!) now to get me to #10!!

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,944
    edited September 2019
    Options

I forgot, yesterday was my one-year anniversary of quitting. No cravings in that whole year, no slip-ups. If I hadn't gained weight, I'd have no reminders at all.

• minustwo
    edited September 2019
    Options

AnotherOne - too late for guilt & blame or beating yourself up. Negative thoughts are not useful. The best we can all do is move forward. Glad you're free from the cravings.

Alice - funny that you forgot!!! At the beginning it's about counting hours, then days, then weeks. Congrats.

CTM - so sorry to hear about your DH. In my opinion you should ban him to outside smoking only. He may get upset if you don't come sit with him, but at least you can start to clear out the house and won't have the smoke right in your face.

Mrs.M - thanks for posting. Your tips are great. Nice to see you here.

I would never have quit without lots of support - particularly on line late at night when I thought I'd never make it. Daytime I could always go for a walk, but not at midnight. This summer I passed my 8 year anniversary. Unbelievable!!!

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,944
    edited September 2019
    Options

I honestly never had any craving to smoke right from the start. I don't know if the patch I used was highly effective, or if, as my DH had suggested a few times, I wasn't a big inhaler, or if I was extra motivated because I had kidney cancer and HAD to quit as if my life depended on it. Which it did; smoking is a major cause of kidney cancer. It was much harder, in many ways, to lose a kidney than a breast.

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hello Ladies , I havent been here in a long time so I wanted to stop in and say Hello ... I hope this message finds all of you well . No smoking for me ... no real cravings .. feeling good ... Hugs to everyone

LisaMarie

• minustwo
    edited September 2019
    Options

LisaMarie - so glad to see you and hear you've conquered the beast!!! As I said in my PM, I'm looking forward to meeting you in the next year or two.