Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exchange City

Options

Comments

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jax, I am like you.. up all night , waking up with Diana right there in my mind.. and started praying... It touches everyones heart for her, and for ourselves. It is a reminder to me.." oh yeah, I had cancer and am still in treatment"... Diana is tough... but for her to see how many are responding to her with the love of prayer.. has to make her feel just a little safer.. it would me.. if I had warriors praying for me!

Brain Mets is when the cancer, as gone from the breast to the brain. It is breast cancer in your brain. Mets is a term we hate here.. as it means the cancer has Metastasize to another area of the body outside the breast and nodes under the arm.

Cathee.. sooooooo glad you are feeling so good! Keeps ladies positive for their exchange!

Tracey.. 3/31... just around the corner.!!

I got my simulation yesterday for rads... It was fast... I should start by Monday I would think. 30 treatments he said. I feel good about it now!

Love you!

Laura

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited February 2009
    Options

smmr:  How about Iowa Sue?  Shortening it....

You and tracyz have given us your exchange dates - they will be posted but do you want to add if you are getting saline or silicone and if you know what brand - Mentor or Allergan or other - we will add that as well. 

Thanks!

Deborah

• whippetmom
    edited February 2009
    Options
    smmr:  Oh duh....you told us that already.  Disregard this.  Brain fog this morning.
  • HuneyB2
    HuneyB2 Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2009
    Options

Good luck to all you ladies.  I just wanted to add my exchange date.  It is March 6th.  I will have Mentor silicone gel-filled implants.  Can't come too soon!

Thanks

Pam

• BustersMom
    BustersMom Member Posts: 260
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi ladies,

I hope it's okay for me to join in here.   I had my first exchange (expanders to 390 MP salines) on 10/31/08.     Wasn't happy with size/shape, so I had another surgery 12 days ago, on 2/6/09 & I now have 500 HP salines (filled to 540 - which I still don't fully understand, lol)    So much happier :)

I tell ya, these surgeries were "easy" compared to the bmx!!!  After going through the first exchange (and I was scared & thought the pain would be horrific again)...  I wasn't even nervous about the 2nd one.  I was actually excited!

I'm sleeping relatively well - can't fully sleep on my side yet; and of course I  have to follow all of the PS restrictions.

Just wanted to chime in & wish all of the upcoming Exchangers the very best!! You will be so happy when it's done :)  YIPPPEEEEEE!!!!  

Juliet

• Cathee
    Cathee Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2009
    Options

Bustersmom,

I love your Chihuahua!!  Ours is 17 and getting a little fragile. 

You are right.  I had my exchange yesterday and WOW what a difference

• BustersMom
    BustersMom Member Posts: 260
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi Cathee,

Congrats on your exchange - whoohoo!! So glad you are happy & feeling good.  Isn't it great?!

No more turtle shells in our chest.  I always said mine felt like very hard edged china tea cups, cuz the dug into my chest wall so much. 

Buster thanks you for the love :)  He is also a senior citizen - he's 15. 

• PinkyLee
    PinkyLee Member Posts: 427
    edited February 2009
    Options

Cathee:  Congratulations

My heart and prayers go out to Diane's family.  My sister lost her battle at a young age and left three teenage girls.  It is not pretty.

Some share facts:  I am 53 years old and had bilateral in September after having my third MRI.  I had lumpectomy Feb 13, 2004, so this would have been my five year anniversary.  I have two daughters:  Kimberlee 37 is an attorney with JD from Georgetown and MA in creative writing from Johns Hopkins and works in the publishing industry.  She is waiting for her first book to be release later this year.  Jennifer is 26 and has degree in Communications from Penn State.  She works in Public relations and marketing in Atlanta.  I received my BS from Trinity University in DC May of 2008.  I am currently taking online class towards my Masters in Human Resources.  I hope that someday I will be able to put it to use.  I currently live with SO whom I met in 1989.  We reconnect prior to my illness and he has been taking care of me since. 

I met with PS today and he assured me that he will premeditate for nausea.  He also gave prescription for antibiotics and some other meds to have after surgery.  I will be receiving Mentor MemoryGel Silicone Gel-filled implants.  He said he order four sets to ensure that he gets proper look and outcome during surgery.  since I have bubbled out on one side, he will lipo that during the surgery.  He anticipates the surgery to be about 3 hours and that I will come home later that afternoon.  

• whippetmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Mary:  Asked about the difference in "profile" styles of breast implants.  The profile essentially determines base width and projection.  Here is a very good description of various profiles of breast implants and how to achieve the desired appearance. You need to read through it to understand how this is achieved.

http://www.cosmeticsurg.net/blog/2008/09/09/breast-augmentation-high-profile-implants-vs-moderate-profile-implants/

• playmysti
    playmysti Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks for all the advise on the implants, I just want mine to be big, point out and tilt up a bit...ha.  I'm thinking that they are too far apart though...do they move the boobs closer together when they do the final exchange?  I'm scheduled for 4/3.  These expanders seem so far apart..I wouldn't have any cleavage at all.  Any thoughts ladies? 

Scares me to death to think of metasizing cancer.  Why does that have to be after what we have all gone through?  Does anybody know what type of cancer Diana had?

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hello Everybody and thank you for the prayers for our family.  It has been a long day! 

Laura...yes, having alopecia is also a lot to deal with, especially for an 18 year old girl.  But she has handled it with such grace.  My daughter didn't develop it until her junior year of high school...when her hormones started kicking in and she was under a lot of stress. 

Thank you again for all your kindness!

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Diana had Her2+. It is a tiny met to the brain. Her rads oncologist is very optimistic that the will zap this out next week with radiation... ( a 1 day thing).. and she will go on meds, and they do feel very positive for her. I feel stronger for her now. But... all of us need eachother to pray for one another ( JMO)....

Bustersmom.. Welcome!

Pam... welcome!

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I hope the family is doing ok Lisa....:(.... so sorry.....
  • rockwell_girl
    rockwell_girl Member Posts: 517
    edited February 2009
    Options

Mary a lot of the time PS can move the breast closer but make sure he doesn't move them to close either.  That has happened for some sorry to say.

Lisa so sorry to hear about your loved one

Bustermom glad to hear you went through with another exchange if you weren't happy.  From what I get your implant has a fill range of 500-600 and your PS filled you to 540.  I'm glad to hear he didn't totally max you out I think that is why my 1st implant was hard.  So if you want to know your implants should be about 12.9 by 6.1 according to the mentor web site.

Mary and all gals ask your PS what size of tissue expander he used and ask also for the dimensions.  It should be very easy for your PS to get you this info.  Know if you like your expanders try to get a implant that is close to that size. 

• DianaT
    DianaT Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2009
    Options

checking in ladies.  Thank you for the prayers.  This all feels so surreal.  I mean I had breast cancer, but a freaking met to the brain??? My mom says it probably has been there my whole life and they just think it is a met.  Gotta love her!  I never had a base line brain MRI before and the PET I had on Monday is CLEAN AS A WHISTLE!!! No indication whatsoever that there is a tumor there.

I believe I am being lifted by all these prayers.  I have been reading the Bible and trying to be at peace.  It is seeing my beautiful children that has me trying not to cry.  We have decided not to tell them at this point.  I will shoot the crap out of the 7 mm and be in remission again for a hell of a long time!!

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

AMEN!!! YES YOU WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO DOUBT!!!

Fat, blue, tumor eyed friend... ( Laura )

• smmr
    smmr Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2009
    Options

Mary,

I too was concerned about mine being so far apart, but was also cautioned about moving them too close together and then you end up with one big boob!!!   I may just mention to my PS that I would like them "just a smidgen" closer!!  Most of my fibrous cysts were on the outside (arm side) of my breast so I'd really like it if I didn't have to feel my implants everytime I put my arms down.  I've lived with that misery too long!!  I must say taking Valium and 600 mg of ibuprofen has helped my fills immensely!!  I would have never known about that secret if it wasn't for this website!  I think this last fill has actually lifted the implant off of one of my ribs that had been hurting from day one!  So I'm feeling pretty optimistic today!!

As for Diana, I do want to say that I have a cousin whose cancer also metasticized to the brain and they were able to treat it successfully.  I'm not going to lie, it was a long recovery, but she is absolutely fine today!!  Think positive and pray without ceasing, as my neighbor always says!!

I'm just curious, how did most of you find this site?  Was it recommended to you or did you just find it by searching?  I thank God that I googled "tissue expander pain" one evening or I would never have found it.  I think this link should be given to everyone going through this.  I would say I've gotten 99% of my information from you ladies and about 1% from the doctor!!!  I think my husband got tired of me saying, "oh my gosh, listen to this....this is exactly what I'm going through!!!"

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Sue, When I was DX and sent to the large Breast Center here... they gave me TONS of reading... BCO was the majority. That and the American Cancer Society... I was told not to surf the net, as so many places were not up to day... BCO was... ACS is...

That is how I found it. THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Cathee
    Cathee Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2009
    Options

smmr,

I found this site just by searching.  Isn't sad that we get all our information from here and not from our doctors!!!  My surgeon told me if I just had the mastectomy I would be back to normal in 2 weeks and if I did reconstruction it would take only 4 weeks.  What was he thinking??? And my PS, who I do like, told me not to talk to you girls and put all my trust into him and just let him do what is best. 

• Mykidsmom
    Mykidsmom Member Posts: 448
    edited February 2009
    Options

Diane - Shoot the crap out of it indeed... That's what you are going to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure how I found this site. I think I stumbled over it one day. But it has been my life saver. You ladies are the greatest!

• whippetmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Diana - Please remind us the day prior to your "kill the met" procedure so that we can band together in prayer for you and so that Linda and Annie can post it on the Prayer's forum links they created.... 

I had to chuckle though at what your mother said.  That is EXACTLY something my own mother would have said.  Like it would have been some kind of birth defect that suddenly was discovered thirty years later.  It's how moms deal with such information I believe....

• psalmist
    psalmist Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2009
    Options

Praying for you, Diana!  Is the gamma knife the same as the Cyber-knife?  We had a public figure (beloved YOUNG television anchor) go under the Cyber-knife in our town and it was highly successful. 

Not all of us on this thread initiated BMX for cancer - mine was b/c of LCIS, fibrocystic disease, multiple biopsies, calcifications, etc.  My small ductal cancer was found after the fact, so had a lymph dissection that was negative. No rads or chemo needed.

Just got back from my mom's house for the weekend.  She is a cancer survivor five years - double mastectomy at age 70.  Her best friend had a mastectomy for cancer the day after her, so we three had coffee Monday and supported one another.  They didn't undergo recon, so they were interested in the procedure I am undergoing.

Congrats to all of you who are marked "completed!"  That looks SO good - and I'm happy mine is coming up.  I'm 53, married 32 years to the love of my life, live in Montana, have two grown, married daughters, four grandchildren, and two mini-poodles that are spoiled but fun.  Love camping, shopping, mountain biking, kayaking, shopping, traveling, exercising, reading, SHOPPING, eating out, movies and... shopping.  Work for the chairman of a large corporation and love it.  My husband is a pastor (nearing 30 years now).  Can't get enough Tully's coffee or Tostitos Crispy Rounds, and believe Sees Candies are the greatest thing ever.  Did I mention I like good foodt?

I found this site b/c I live in a fishbowl and needed support from women who have gone through this ordeal and with whom I felt safe from gossip.  Thanks to all of you for your information and insight.  It has been a God-send. 

• YvonneB
    YvonneB Member Posts: 149
    edited February 2009
    Options

My prayers are with your husband and family Lisa. 54 is just way too young.  I think it is awful for your husband to go through all this with 2 people that are very close to him. 

• rockwell_girl
    edited February 2009
    Options

lol I had to click on my own name to see when I became a mamber.  It was March 6, 2008 which would have been a few days after my mastectomy Feb 27.  I think I just did a google search and fell abond it.  There is a live chat room here also which I used to visit at 1st when I was off work but haven't been there in a while.  I know for me to get into it I had to download java and than it worked.  It took me a little while to figure that part out.

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

I am so surprised that your breast centers did not give you the BCO booklets... they were all about it at my center.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• rockwell_girl
    edited February 2009
    Options

Bustermom did you ever post your pix on the pix forum...it's neat to see difference in implants

• Bukki
    Bukki Member Posts: 103
    edited February 2009
    Options

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing and hoping everyones exchanges are going good....I am praying for all of you girls.

I too have returned to work....but I went back after only 3.5 weeks.....now I know it was too soon.

I am 53 and also a nurse....I work in an ICU, and we have been way to busy this past week and wooooo............I am tired and sore.

am praying for all of you....Elaine

• PinkyLee
    PinkyLee Member Posts: 427
    edited February 2009
    Options

I found this site by googling around.  It was the week prior to mas. and this site has been a blessing.  I found this link one night just when I really needed it.

Thanks to all you ladies who have been kind enough to share with us all.

• Mykidsmom
    Mykidsmom Member Posts: 448
    edited February 2009
    Options

Southport - SHould we move your name to completed? How are thing going? We were thinking of you yesterday! Take care and post when you feel up to it! - Jean

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2009
    Options

I had saw this thread awhile back.  But never read it because I dont belong here.  No One wants to hear about my Crappy exchange...nor the pain I am still in 5 months later. 

Most women have the exchange & feel great after.  So who wants to hear about Pams Painful Uniboob.  

But last night I was  sad & Lonely & I  thought- I should make sure I wont fit in there...Only to see I was being talked about - Not by name...But no one else has a uniboob on this forum right now.  (my ears must have been ringing & made me check the thread)  

The posts I read really hurt me .  It is Not My Fault that I have a Uniboob!  I did not do my Surgery!

I just want to say in my own defense. I never ASKED for a Uniboob. 

My Expanders were 2 full Inches apart.  I asked my PS who was supposed to be very good (yes, I have been told next time to pick a Good PS!- As If my goal was to pick a crappy PS)

I asked my PS "to move my Implants a Little Closer then my Expanders".  He said he did not know if he could move them in at all.  But would try.  "I said even 1/4" Would be great.  I certainly dont want a Uniboob"   I also Did not ask my PS to place my Implants over 1" from the sides of My Chest.  (as you can see Mary- asking for them to be 'a little closer' isnt a gaurantee that you wont have end up with a Uniboob)

Im not sure what SS means when she says 'make sure your surgeon doesn't move them to Close together.'  Was I supposed to sit up during my surgery & tell him that they were too Close?  

And I will 'Hit send' Because I need to get this off my chest.

Pam

Lisa I am very sorry to hear about your Sister In Law.  I wish she had made it til the wedding. That makes it extra heart breaking.

Diana you have been in my thoughts since I heard the news.

~~~~~

14 hours ago, edited 14 hours ago by rockwell_girl rockwell_girl wrote:

Mary a lot of the time PS can move the breast closer but make sure he doesn't move them to close either.  That has happened for some sorry to say.

14 hours ago smmr wrote:

Mary,

I too was concerned about mine being so far apart, but was also cautioned about moving them too close together and then you end up with one big boob!!!   I may just mention to my PS that I would like them "just a smidgen" closer!!  Most of my fibrous cysts were on the outside (arm side) of my breast so I'd really like it if I didn't have to feel my implants everytime I put my arms down.  I've lived with that misery too long!!  I must say taking Valium and 600 mg of ibuprofen has helped my fills immensely!!  I would have never known about that secret if it wasn't for this website!  I think this last fill has actually lifted the implant off of one of my ribs that had been hurting from day one!  So I'm feeling pretty optimistic today!!