Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,803
    Options

I have a list of the exercises with pictures and directions. I need to photocopy and group them as sitting, standing, and laying down. What I am talking about is doing them by memory, and grouping them that way helps.

I have been taking ibuprofen as an add-on to tylenol 8-hour, but my stomach is in a state of rebellion. I called both ortho and pcp. Left a message for PCP, asking for celebrex which is not as rough on the stomach. Strained my back last night. Promised that I would not make unreasonable demands on my knee. Tired. Fitbit told me that I did not sleep last night, and I took a 1 1/2 hour nap this morning that did not register. I might try melatonin.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,196
    Options

Forgot to post picture of Tawny making a nest from the paper wadding that DD had in her new purse. She took it out, placed it on the kitchen island and Tawny decided it would make a nice nest to lie in. She is the funniest cat.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,317
    Options

Took Heidi for her thyroid bloodwork checkup, and she didn’t even cry (except in the car going there and again as we turned into our alley, as if to say “hurry up already”).The increased dose seems to be working, as she’s gained 5 ounces in less than 3 weeks. Fingers crossed! The vet techs weren’t concerned that she was so “chill;” and nobody but me seems to be worried about her random nodding (almost like an essential tremor) because of her advanced age.

Karen, sorry the shots are kicking your butt. Must be a relief, though, that the SCT is off the table—why leave the frying pan only to jump into the fire? As long as you can handle the maintenance chemo, you’ll be with us for quite a while. Meantime, if you aren’t allergic to peanuts or tree nuts, a shake made with protein powder, peanut or almond butter, ice cream (vanilla, butter pecan) or frozen yogurt, and maybe a little honey, maple or agave might hit the spot. There used to be an ice cream parlor around here called Zephyr, and their most popular menu item was the “Peanut Butter Strut” milkshake.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

When I click on Bookmarks, I get a list of forums and each one has the number of new posts. But when I go to the forum, I cannot be sure that I am reading the beginning post of the new posts. I have to scroll up to the last post I remember reading. That's the reason I've been missing some posts.

Betrayal, it sounds like you're back in motion again, an energizer bunny.

Cindy, glad you made it safely home. I know well that feeling of getting home after months away and looking around and seeing all that needs doing. The months away seem to sharpen the vision.

We have a problem outside that will have to wait until fall. The roots of a volunteer oak tree out on the front lawn have apparently interfered with the septic tank plastic pipe carrying water out to the street. DH said there's a patch of wet lawn. It will dry up while we're gone but then will reoccur when we get back home and start using water and using the bathrooms.

DH's inclination was to cut down the oak tree when it first began growing but I liked it and wanted to let it become a mature tree. It is quite a beautiful young tree but evidently will have nuisance value.

• chisandy
    Options

Betrayal, too cute! Happy’s favorite nest was a Third Love brand bra box—which he would “customize” by biting the exposed edges so they looked as if cut with pinking shears.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,532
    Options

We may never win any great awards or be named best dressed, most beautiful, most popular, or most revered. But each of us has an arm with which to hold another person. Each of us can pull another shoulder under ours. Each of us can invite someone in need to nestle next to our heart. We can give a pat on the back, a simple compliment, a kiss on the cheek, a thumbs-up sign. We can smile at a stranger, say hello when it’s least expected, send a card of congratulations, take flowers to a sick neighbor, make a casserole for a new mother.   -Barbara Johnson

• illinoislady
    Options

Coming late today. I've had an issue with how some of my posts happen. Seems the quote I put in a lot of times will show us (I put it in first) again at the end.

Only way to get rid of the duplicate is to delete it by backspacing. It happens on another thread as well. I put in memes there that duplicate on me. Well, it is the little vagaries I guess with any new thing. So today I saved posting until I got the go-ahead from the mods who are trying to help me.

Tawny is a very pretty lady. Seems almost all of my cats have loved boxes or packing paper. Always thought it was something about nesting that seemed to attract so many to straight out hide, or find something out of the ordinary to 'lounge' on.

Carole — I think most of the time if I just hit bookmarks and then go direct to which forum/thread I want to do first it does seem to open on the last entry. A couple of times though in looking back for something I felt like there were a couple of posts I might have missed. I think I need to watch out for this and make sure.

Sandy, it sure does sound like Heidi is getting good QOL results right now from what you and her Vet are doing. I have my fingers crossed for her. The majority of our cats have come close (a couple over I think) to the 20 yr. mark.

Carole, Oak trees are beautiful trees. Too bad it can't be moved elsewhere but it does way too big to do it now. There is one at the end of our lane — it was over a hundred yrs. old but it died a couple of yrs. ago. Vey big. We have tried to have the city come take it down as it is actually on city land, but so far no luck. My Amish built storage shed is right across the driveway from it. There was already some damage but small enough that rather than wait the weeks/months for the city we went ahead and did the repairs ourselves.

Cindy, glad you are back at home. The trip home did sound pretty enjoyable.

(((((((Taco))))))).

Mary I admire the discipline you have despite the many ups and downs you are having with pain control and getting some rest.

Hope everyone has had a wonderful day.

• chisandy
    edited May 2023
    Options

Privacy is the least of my concerns when it comes to nav apps. Accuracy—including being up-to-date with new road configurations—is paramount. I'm headed up to Madison on Fri (sigh—probably in a rainstorm) and I hope I remember to exit right (rather than the left exit I took for 20 years) to access the Beltline. Last time I had to go several miles out of my way and take unfamiliar surface streets (that flummoxed the nav system as well—kept telling me to go the wrong way before "calculating route" again & again). There is not enough room on the SD card in the dash to hold a map update—but it's moot because they stopped issuing them for this particular system anyway. (And Subaru didn't start offering Apple or Android CarPlay till 2017). The car is only 9 years old—seems the industry doesn't realize that the average age of cars on the road is now TWELVE years (even factoring in new cars). Not about to buy a new car just to get an updated nav system. Will just use Siri or Waze. (Bob's new Tucson Hybrid doesn't even have a nav system—he has to use Apple CarPlay & Siri; only the top trim line offers a nav system but you have to give up Qi charging, since there's not enough room on the motherboard for both chips, nor room in the fuse box).

I hate how various industries now assume everyone is a millennial or even Gen-Z-er now, who shops only online (and never needs to return stuff), uses smartphone apps for everything and wants to only stream music rather than own it. (New cars don't have CD players, and you can't even buy downloads anymore except direct from the artist's website—assuming the site allows it. We still sell the occasional CD at gigs…but only to people our age or older).

I tried to send a song to a folk DJ for a themed show last week, but he only wants .mp3s now (a decade ago they all wanted only CDs, and some even took vinyl). To my chagrin, it wasn't one of the songs I'd ripped to my computer from my solo CD—which is long out of print and of which I can't find any of my remaining few physical copies. Not just that, but computers no longer have physical disc drives—and I can't find my external one, nor its USB-A-to-C "dongle." I even tried paying to download my own song from Amazon's premium music service…but it'll only play on my computer. I paid to own it but I can't copy or share it! (No way am I going to ask a DJ to have to pay for my music, even if it's only a buck). I really miss the old Napster—its later paid subscription version (in reaction to threatened prosecutions) was for the right to download songs, and the subscription fees went into an RIAA fund that funneled royalties to ASCAP, BMI & SESAC to pay their member artists; but now it's gone the way of Pandora, Apple Music, & Spotify—streaming-only. No internet connection? No music (unless you were prescient enough years ago to rip your music collection to your computer, mobile device or thumb drive).

Not just that, streaming royalties are an infinitesimal fraction of what even digital download, terrestrial radio (AM/FM) airplay, and satelllite-radio-cast royalties were. That's why SiriusXM killed the folk channel "The Village:" the artists played on it were either self-released or on small indie labels who couldn't afford to make a massive cut-rate royalty deal for their "stable" of artists in return for the publicity gained from satellite airplay, the way pop/rock/country/urban artists' major labels gladly do for their catalogs. SiriusXM said "there wasn't enough money coming in from listeners" to justify keeping the folk music channel (they still claim their acoustic pop & commercial Americana channels like The Bridge & Coffeehouse are "folk," even though the artists featured there are on major-labels or subsidiaries)—but subscribers pay for the entire channel lineup, not per-channel. The truth is that there was too much money going out, in the form of airplay royalties paid to small and indie folk artists who couldn't afford to agree to receive less than .001 cents per spin. (Streaming services pay a still smaller fraction of even that)!

There are dozens of cents to be made from Spotify. I ought to know—for all the times my stuff's been streamed from various sites over the decades, I've earned about $3. Yeah, that's $3 more than I made when people "illegally" shared my songs on the "O.G." Napster.

• illinoislady
    Options

However we understand our spiritual selves, most of us agree on how to foster them: through peace, silence, and beauty, in meditation, and in what some of us call prayer. Just as every bud aspires to be a flower, and as the flower holds the secret of the fruit, so we enfold the beauty of our spirits. If we nourish the spirit, we can grow to be our better selves. If we allow nothing to hamper its growth, our spirit will unfold. -unattributed

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,158
    Options

Sandy, I agree with you about the younger generations! Also about CD's! I still have a small vinyl collection, including 45's. I like to own vs stream or just listen. I still have some cassette tapes with what was, live interviews by Philly DJ's of John Lennon and I think Paul McCartney. Can't play them, no device, but never threw them out. Not sure the tapes would still work anyway.

I have a dear friend who is a musician. Once, about 15+ years ago, I was in the hospital for a test and as I walked in I heard my friend's music being played over the loud speakers. He wrote instrumental songs, no lyrics. (Actually, Robert Hunter, from Grateful Dead, wrote lyrics to one of his songs.) I was able to track down the company the hospital used for music, but couldn't find the source who put my friends music on their feed. Yep, musicians are mostly way under paid for their music!

Betrayal, Tawny is so cute!!!! Love the photo's!

Cindy, glad you are home, but sorry about your partner's vehicle and the work you need to do to your house!

Karen, hope you are feeling better! Too bad you aren't in PA, as our public schools are closed today for election day! I always hated filling out my "self review" and in fact stopped filling them out altogether. I only filled out if I did or accomplished something extra during the year, like courses I took at a University.

I had the worst night again, due to my legs. They get "numb like" and painful at night. During the day they feel different, kind of "tingly" but I don't know if the cause is a circulatory issue or a nerve issue.

That was what I went to my PCP to find out, but the appointment was a total disaster! After he used up so much time stepping out to care for another patient he had seen before me and the rest of the time catching up on my breast cancer and treatments, he asked "if I had any questions!" I stupidly said "yes, the reason for my visit." Almost before the words came out of my mouth, I wondered why I didn't just say no and leave. Instead he asked me a couple of questions, determined I had "restless legs syndrome" in less than a minute, and wanted to prescribe a drug that is used for Parkinson's Disease! I said no, thanked him and ended the appointment.

I don't think I got even two hours of sleep last night. I was going to move up my cardiology appointment scheduled for the end of June, then thought about it and decided just to take Advil before bed because I don't know the cause of the issue.

• mcbaker
    Options

They tell me my sleep problems might be due to pain. I watched some knee replacement surgery videos a few days ago, and the next two nights my Fitbit said I didn't sleep. Last night I slept well according to Fitbit, but had many short awakenings, which were due to pain. Hopefully I will get some Celebrex with my three month supply of meds today. However, I have been going through all my stuff, and found a small weighted blanket I had stashed away. I will try it and see if it helps with those awakenings, whatever they are. I am de-stashing for the parish rummage sale, and have found a lot of stuff to get rid of. Obviously, since I forgot that I had those things.

But Tippy thought it would be a good time for me to sit down in the recliner with him beside me. I still need to do the dishes and go to the grocery store/pharmacy. Thumbs are hurting again.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

I started to leave comments Monday and never finished. Here’s a continuation…..

Mary - I couldn’t take Celebrex for my hip replacement due to allergic reaction, but managed with Tramadol for pain. Prehab PT sounds good. I only had 2 days between scheduling my hip replacement and day of surgery; otherwise I would have had PT before surgery. I heard TKR is harder than THR, so will be sending you healing vibes for a speedy recovery. Hope you sleep better tonight.

Taco - sorry to hear about the loss of your son so long ago. Sending you a virtual hug.

Cindy - sounds like you’ve got some yard cleanup to do now that you’ve arrived home. Glad you had a nice trip home.

Sandy - glad Heidi had a good checkup. We have about 500 songs on our phones and when we travel we have music we can enjoy. I guess it’s from CDs we’ve purchased over the years.

Karen - hope you’re feeling better today. Exciting times for the birth of your grandbaby.

Betrayal - has Regan complete her training? Tawny is very cute. Love the pictures.

Carole - I didn’t realize oak trees could cause problem for pipes. At least you’re aware of the issue before you head out for the summer.

Illinois - maybe the Mods have a tutorial on how not to get lost in the topics. That would be helpful for me.

Mavericksmom - wonder if compression socks would help with the tingling feeling in your legs. I have CIPN and wear compression socks to help the tingling in my feet. It seems to help, especially earlier in the day.

We still have our vinyl records, but no longer play them. We like to listen to music though, mostly either the radio at home or in the car. My DB plays the English Concertina. He played on two songs on John Lennons Double Fantasy album. He got to meet John and had tea with him. DB still plays the English Concertina, does some teaching and plays the occasional local gig.

Have a nice evening.

• mcbaker
    Options

Yeah, she said to stay away from Celebrex, I am already taking omeprazole to settle my stomach, and I would have to take both for surgical recovery. I had a stomach bleed a few years ago. And I already suggested tramadol as an alternative. Waiting on response.

• illinoislady
    Options

Rained sometime during the night so has been overcast all day. Not too cool although I have a thin t-shirt on so need a second long sleeved shirt to be comfy.

Went to get mammogram today and was told I should put it off for another couple of months. I wondered about this when the gal made the appt. I told her that I had just had a ICD put in and needed to take that into account.

Turns out I was right to feel timid. The nurse who does the mammograms says she does patients with "devices" all the time and would be un-comfortable with anyone not at least 3 months out from the time of placement. All my mammograms have remained good since my original breast cancer in 2007 so it will not hurt one thing to wait a couple more months for the test.

We will go tomorrow to Mt. Vernon so I can fill out an advanced directive.

The mods say for me to clean my cache and cookies. I set my computer to do this every time I quit using it but I will give it a try. Hope that helps.

Hope you ae able to get the tramadol Mary.

Need to get going to go over and visit the puppies. Was there right before I went for the mamo that didn't happen.

Hope you all have a good day.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,196
    Options

Cardplayer: Thanks for asking about Regan's training completion. She was doing 1:1's with the trainer in hopes we would be able to get her into a compatible group since she needs the socialization. Unfortunately, her trainer was dx with cancer and had to undergo surgery. He anticipates being out for 3 months so we try to continue training at home. She is doing well with what we can teach her but we cannot fill the gap for exposure to other dogs. The one dog she does like is my DS's but he is 14 and not very mobile at present. His other 3 dogs would be a "no-no" since 2 are Frenchies (one is a pup and the other is a true bully) and the other is older but used to being the alpha dog. So she is in limbo with more professional training for the moment.

Mary: Tramadol was the only pain med I could tolerate and it worked well for pain. There is a time release one that I was prescribed that lasted the best. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to take it because it started to cause nausea and vomiting. It was the last opioid I could take for so long and I am not sure what I will use in the future. They were using Dilaudid after my bowel surgery in addition to IV Tylenol, Lidocaine patches and Gabapentin. My pain was well-controlled by their bag of tricks. Hope you can find something that will minimize your pain sans SE's.

We still have the LP's purchased in our youth and a player for them. I have the 45's I bought in high school as well. We have lots of CD's and DH has used them to make mixes for us to play loading it on an USB key. At one time everyone was throwing their LP's away and today they have market value again. I listen to Sirius in my car.

Ironed today since I was a tad behind in this chore. I put a movie on Netflix and watch/listen to it as I iron. I literally vegetate while I am ironing so it's not a bad thing. My form of meditation I guess since absolute silence makes me antsy.

Hope everyone has a great day.

• mcbaker
    Options

She said Celebrex with omeprazole would be fine for now, but do everything else, too. So I will be getting some lidocaine topical. Already have Volteren and heating pad.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Good morning, ladies. It took forever for me to catch up on reading everyone's posts. The weekend was a dud. I didn't go out of the house for 3 days, except for church. I did some projects and read some. They say the 3 month point in grieving is a bad point, but for me it is the 4 month and soon to be 5 month. My 2 BFFs are still supporting me as usual, but some of the others have backed off. After I was diagnosed with BC, I cut my ebay store down to weekends only. I have slowly increased the number of listings this week. My counsellor thought it would be a good idea. I am down to only one major project to do from the initial list I made 4 months ago. I am considering getting another cat. I think Louie would like a new friend and so would I.

• mavericksmom
    Options

petite, good morning to you too! I am so sorry for what you are going through. I am glad you are thinking of getting a second cat. I am sure there are adoption agencies that would allow Louie to check out a new feline friend prior to final adoption.

This morning I did my on line check in for my Dexa Scan next week. I was annoyed as I went through the pages of my diagnoses and saw the newest entry listed "Restless Leg Syndrome." There is an option to remove a diagnosis, which I did, and then it has a space to say why you want it remove. I was completely honest in the fact that I have no confidence in the diagnosis due to the quickness of my PCP to jump to that conclusion. I explained that my appointment was derailed and why, without putting blame on my PCP or sounding like I don't trust him. I do trust him, but the reason I went to see him was due to my leg issues and the time given to that was all of two minutes.

I do kind of wonder who really reads all of the information listed on a patient, especially for something as minor as a Dexa Scan?

I did find out yesterday that my nephew is having surgery to remove his one eye due to ocular melanoma. My sister sent the information via a text. She doesn't want to talk about it so I respected her feelings and didn't respond.

Sunny today. I am going to get my hair colored today. I am not sure if I will get it trimmed up as well, or just do the color. I usually do a cut every other appointment. I still color it a brown, my natural color. I can't imagine having my hair any other color. It is hard enough dealing with the body changes from breast cancer, in my case, the reconstruction, I need something to stay the same!

I totally hate the reconstruction I had on my breasts. Since I was refused a bilateral mastectomy in 2019 and had to wait until my opposite breast was no longer "a healthy breast," to get it removed, there was no ability to have them look similar now. One was via DIEP, the other is an implant. The DIEP side still looks very much like my old self, but the implant is smaller, has a weird "point" and a sort of square shape. I can't look at myself in the mirror anymore unless I am fully clothed!

I am still working on decluttering, but without the desk and a cabinet formerly in the office, I am starting to see progress! Today I want to work in my bedroom and carry things we don't often need upstairs. I hate using stairs!

I am becoming more comfortable with the laptop, although the desk top is so much quicker to access and use. I had to google how to right click on a laptop! LOL! I am learning so it is true, you can teach an old dog new tricks!

• cardplayer
    Options

Good Morning

Petite - it’s good that you’re keeping busy and continuing to go to grief counseling. Another cat for Louie would be good for you and him.

Mavericksmom Im not sure anyone reads the comments in the mychart application, if that’s where you made the change. I’ve adjusted my ever changing list of medications and have left notes in mychart. The only times it gets corrected is when I’m seen at the hospital and a nurse takes the time to update it. Wish there was one application used by all healthcare providers. I keep my a list of medications and diagnoses on the heart app on my phone, so at least it’s handy in case of an emergency. Sorry to hear about your nephews diagnosis.

Went to Home Depot this morning with DH to pickup a few more flowers for the deck. I’m going to meditation early this afternoon, so hopefully will come home to more pots planted with flowers.

I hope everyone is feeling healthy today. It’s a nice sunny day here today, but breezy. Have a wonderful day.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    Options

Petite, Last year it was very difficult to get a cat spayed or neutered, there is a kitten glut already (usually it's later in August). Getting a friend for Louie is a great idea. If you don't want a kitten, there are plenty of newly spayed and neutered parents to consider.

• illinoislady
    Options

Inside me is a wheel, constantly turning from sadness to joy, from exultation to depression, from happiness to melancholy. Like the flowers, today’s full bloom of joy will fade and wither into despondency, yet I will remember that as today’s dead flower carries the seed of tomorrow’s bloom, so, too, does today’s sadness carry the seed of tomorrow’s joy.   - Og Mandino

• mavericksmom
    Options

ilinoislady, wow, perfect quote for so many of us today!

Cardplayer, yes, it was done via MyChart on the link for my visit. I am at the point where I don't even care if the information is accurate or not. It seems today, no one cares. Next appointment I will just click next through the pages and not read them.

Feeling discouraged today, I think because mentally I feel like mush! I had a good hair appointment but it was smack dab in the middle of the day, no time to start something prior to it and afterwards I didn't want to do anything to get dirty. I did hose down my car, just to get the yellow pollen off of it. It looks way better now.

Last night I slept better, which I attribute to the Advil, although it didn't make the aches and pains go away, at least it helped enough to get some quality sleep. I keep getting a cramp in my right calf, not bad, but nagging. I really hate feeling like this is what age brings, one ache after another!

DH watered the outside potted plants, then read the rest of the day. Tomorrow we will go to Home Depot for a few things and then on to BJ's. We go every 2-3 weeks.

I am still waiting to get information on a new contract from our heating company. I called twice and was told they were behind on sending information out, but we would get something this month. I know May was the traditional month for people on a budget to settle up, but we pay after each delivery. I am just waiting on our heater service contract. I guess I will need to call a third time! Ugh!

Sandy, I hope things are moving forward on your house. I can't imagine needing to replace the stairs! Definitely worth doing! Did you perform this week or is that next week? I have always been too shy to perform in front of anyone, but I used to love singing loudly when no one was home and the windows were all shut! I used to love to "conduct" while listening to Handel's Messiah, and classical pieces too. I have a great ear for music, but I can't play or sing well at all!

((((Karen))))

((((Taco))))

• illinoislady
    edited May 2023
    Options

😻Coming in late again. We had to go fill out paperwork at the Mt. Vernon V.A. this morning. Came home for a nap — really needed. I don't have a Fit Bit or anything, but I can really feel all over when I slept but didn't get enough rest out of it. Then, a snack and a cup of coffee and then over across town to visit and play with the puppies. Must have been a long morning for them. They are such happy characters that I end up usually in a really good mood during and after a visit with them.

As to records and being repaired I do think the V.A. is not too bad at record keeping. I did this time take the survey paper they mailed out after my visit overnight at John Cochran. Most of the questions were fairly general, but you were allowed to put little notes in the margins which I did. I have no reason to think that one 'survey' from Illinois is going to do much. The one thing that came of it for sure is that I have a lot more appreciation for my 'home' V. A. Hospital. I have had to be a 'patient' there a number of times and never had to fill out a somewhat negative report on their care. I do realize though that in reality I am not hard to please. Guess that is why the overnight at JC was likely must worse for me. People who use that facility more are likely prepared for some disappointments and that they have to be VERY strong with their own care and advocacy.

Hmm, that middle of the day doldrums is recognizable. My schedule at one time was broken up almost every day and I work best when I can put in several hours to something straight. It is hard to leave things go because too many un-expecteds get in the way and though I don't complain about it — here there are things that are always left to me. It is better now, but it does tend to put you out of sorts so I'm with you MM. Makes me say grrr under my breath a whole lot. I hope tomorrow is a much better day.

Petite — another kitty sounds like it could be good all the way around. Since we home the homeless so often we don't always get a choice, but I will say many times we have had fairly good success when we took in the very young kittens as opposed to closer relation in age. For some reason the older "cats" were often more tolerant and forgiving — and even playing with the youngest. Maybe instilling in them early on who were the real bosses. I think the older cats didn't feel 'threatened' in the same way and didn't exert the pecking order rituals nearly as much if at all.

They certainly provide hours of enjoyment for us watching them romp and play, or even stretch out in a sunny corner of the windowsill. 😹

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Three days to go before Sunday, departure date. I am meeting a friend, or two friends, for lunch today at Panera's, which is about four minutes from my house. One friend brought her dh home from the hospital yesterday, so I'm not sure whether she will be able to leave him.

My appointment with my PCP today was cancelled because she is ill. I will see a NP on Friday instead. It's a checkup so meeting with the NP will be ok.

Other than that I just have to organize clothes and pantry items. Meds, etc. On Sunday we'll check off the final items off the list of To Do. Like turn off the water, set the hot water heater to vacation….

When we pull out of the driveway, one of us says to the other, "What did we forget?" One year we forgot to empty the ice out of the refrigerator, which was turned off. I had to call my sister to take care of that omission. Another year we didn't turn off the water into the house and called our neighbor to help out. Another year I didn't replace the batteries in the thermostat and we got home to find the A/C had stopped at some point.

Hope everyone has a Thursday that is good in one way or another.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Good morning. I am feeling better after counselling, yesterday. I heard from my grand nephew's wife and she is planning a family vacation to Tennessee this fall, including me. We went on for hours. I am happy to have something to look forward to. I have been searching the internet for my new cat baby. I did message someone and they have yet to respond. Of course the post maybe months old and the fur baby is long since found it's perfect home. I also have been checking the local animal control. I think petfinders is the best web site. It includes multiple agencies and organizations. I will keep you posted on my search.

• cardplayer
    edited May 2023
    Options

I’m a big list maker Carole for the reasons you mentioned- what did I forget to do. I make a list of things to do even if we’re going away for a week vacation. I hope your PCP appointment goes well. Enjoy your lunch today.

An easy day today. I have REIKI therapy this morning and then will stop by the grocery for a few items. After lunch DH and I will take our walk. It’s nice and sunny today.

I hope everyone has a healthy and safe day.

• illinoislady
    Options

I want first of all to be at peace with myself. I want a singleness of eye,a purity of intention, a central core to my life that will enable me to carryout these obligations and activities as well as I can. I want, in fact--tomorrow from the language of the saints--to live "in grace" as much of the time as possible. I am not using this term in a strictly theological sense. By grace I mean an inner harmony, essentially spiritual, which can betranslated into outward harmony. I am seeking perhaps what Socrates asked for. . . "May the outward and inward person be at one." Anne Morrow Lindbergh

• illinoislady
    Options

Nice sun out this morning. I don't think we had any more rain last night. Nice to dry out for a bit. Likely to be a quiet day here — just needing to go play with puppies for the most part. Maybe a small side trip to the bank.

Needed to go this morning to have my special urinalysis test done, but I didn't meet the conditions so will try again tomorrow morning. I try to get there when they open at 6 a.m. at the lab, but not always easy. I also hate to go while it is still darkish out since the deer are often wandering around at that time.

Our temps. are being quite nice during the day now and most days we can have windows and doors open. It is something I so enjoy — chasing winter out of the house.

I make lists all the time around here. What I need to do is to cross off the items that have actually gotten done. Either that or find the list when I need it — like the grocery list. How often we have said after returning home from the store that we forgot something.

Glad you are better petite. I also hope you find a great companion for M. Louie. We here are once again trying to refrain from taking any more cats in. Still looking for a friend for Minnie but it is an on and off project. Just so many things having to be done in Spring — so the priorities get severely re-arranged almost daily. It is okay.

I hope you all have a fantastic day today.

• mcbaker
    Options

I think my panic over not having any relatives with me during the recovery from my knee replacement is easing (and solidifying my resolution to move back home). I have an appointment with the Aging and Disability Resource Center next week to apply for a home health care aide. I have a friend who will be watching Tippy, and e-mailed members of my book club. Just called a friend who is active in the women's parish council and asked her to tell them that I would welcome visitors.

I put a lidocaine patch on the back of my knee last night and slept real well! The baker's cyst is even smaller.

Jackie and Karen and others going though medical issues, I AM thinking of you. Petite, you are doing great, recovering from your loss and seeking help with it. Seeing your cats play with each other will help. Taco, I also lost a son many, many years ago, and it still hurts.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Mary and taco, I am so sorry you both lost children!

Jackie, Karen and Mary, I hope all of your medical issues are or will be resolved. Mary, sounds like you are on top of everything, including moving after you recover from surgery!

Petite, so happy that you are feeling better. Glad you are looking for your purrfect addition!

I saw on line that our SPCA has a chihuahua that needs adopting. Chihuahua's are either total love bugs or nasty as all get out. This one appears to be a love bug. My heart says to inquirer about her, but my head says don't do it for financial reasons.

Carole, have a safe trip north on Sunday. I too make lists for everything! I make daily "to do" lists! For trips I start them way in advance because if I wait until a few days before the trip I am absolutely going to forget something.

I would make a terrible snowbird! I don't want to live two places, I am fine staying where I am all year long. I would be too worried about whichever home I was away from to enjoy either one. Also, I am not a fan or more complicated taxes or upkeep on two homes! My sister and her DH live in Naples during the winter. I wouldn't mind visiting them there next year sometime, but not more than 5 days or so. I am pretty much a homebody!

DH and I went to Home Depot and BJ's this morning. I bought some plants for my window box. I really love the spring and fall, both of which are so much more enjoyable after retirement!