Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,847
    Options

DH's father died of kidney failure. I learned at that time that it's a very pain free death. The ill person slips into a coma and passes.

We're running the heat pump this morning since the temperature dipped into the 40's last night. Wonderful for sleeping.

The last two nights I've had leg cramps and I have no idea why I'm cramping. Guess I'll have to Google the possible causes. Usually it's exercise or golf that stresses the leg muscles.

Today I will use our new used golf cart to go to nearby Eagle View GC and play 9 holes or 18, depending on how I feel after 9. It's supposed to warm up to the 80's. I like this small golf course much better than our two longer more challenging courses at home. It's charming.

The new kitten is adorable. Kittens and puppies are lots of fun to watch. On the news this morning I saw a baby camel in a Milwaukee zoo.

DH and I are Tina Turner fans. Interesting that she lived in Switzerland. I know she was popular in Sweden.

Happy Thursday to all.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,324
    Options

Sometimes, the problems you must face are more than you wish to cope with, and tomorrow doesn’t seem to offer any solutions. You may ask yourself “Why me?” but the answer is sometimes unclear. You may even tend to feel that life hasn’t been just or fair to burden you with such obstacles. The roads any of us choose to follow are never free of bumps or curves, but eventually the turns lead to a smoother path ahead. Believe in yourself and your dreams. You will soon realize that the future holds many promises for you. Remember. . . difficult times don’t last forever.    -Geri Danks

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,149
    Options

What a wonderful quote for today. I am sure it addresses much of my life experiences and it is true that difficult times don't last forever but they sure do feel so at times. Three years of a restoration project did seem like it was never going to end and tried my patience frequently but I did survive. However, I do opt out on repeating it ever again.

MM: So glad you have been able to feel better. You seem so bubbly and to have this drag you down seemed so out of character. Hope you can continue to repress it. Your DH's new bedroom project sounds like it is nearing the end. I have to address the items that had been in the guest room and are now in what had been DD's room. They are items I wanted to keep but now need to find their place or to be donated. I look at the room and tell myself to get with it and then leave, LOL. I also want to debulk that closet that has summer clothing that I won't be wearing anymore. Need a good rainy day for this project.

Taco: I get the Orthovisc injections in my knee and swear by them. My left knee is bone on bone and with my last shots I got 9 months of being pain free. I have had it last over a year but think because my right knee acted up, too, it shortened the time. Cortisone gave me no relief beyond 4 days so I am hanging tough and in pain until I can get the Orthovisc in June.

Karen: Glad your school year is over and you can now go see your new granddaughter.

Cindy: how goes the cold. Are you feeling better?

Carole: You wanted to escape the heat and now are using heat to escape the cold. Made me laugh since this is our typical weather. We have been in the 40's overnight for several days. Enjoy your new golf cart!

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,799
    Options

Wren, I agree. "Too bad she doesn't feel she can stay for the graduation, but it's her call."

I did too much yesterday, yet again, and did not sleep well.

Tippy is napping. I have been reading, then de-pilling some sweaters. Took a nap this morning, but ready for another nap. Will get back to reading afterwards.

This morning I bought five 9-oz Hillshire Farms lunchmeat packages partially for the containers for freezing food in. Am waiting to get a futon, won't be able to get it until next week, but she also offered sheets and pillowcases for it free.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    edited May 2023
    Options

I wish I had seen Tina Turner in concert. I never had the pleasure.

Sorry the hear about HK DH Sandy.

Hope your dexa scan went well Betrayal. Sorry your knee is bothering you, but good that they can inject it again. Misty sounds like a good name for your new cat addition. She looks like a sweetie.

Mavericksmom - sounds like you’ve made great progress on the bedroom. My DD has blackout curtains in GD bedroom plus a sound machine with white noise. Really helps DGD sleep.

Enjoy the visit with your DGD and family Karen. Glad you’re able to spend a full week with them.

Sorry to hear about your knee Taco. Will that hinder your golfing or does the summer heat do that?

Illinois - glad your appointment went well. What kind of exercise will they suggest for you?

Sounds like it’s still spring in MN Carole. Cool mornings are nice though. I hope your leg cramps feel better.

Sorry you’re not sleeping well Mary. Is there something your doctor can give you to help?

I had two doctor appointments today. Saw my GYN this morning for what I thought was an issue, but wasn’t. Got my crown this afternoon. The temporary was easy to get off, so I’m glad for a pain free experience. Came home and slipped off my shoes and felt a sharp pain in my heel. I’m taking it easy and icing. Will probably keep wearing my shoes around the house and ice frequently to avoid any more pain. I always wear HOKAs so not sure why I’m having problems with my foot.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,162
    edited May 2023
    Options

So much happening, but I did make notes!

Carole, glad you arrived safely. And I can relate to playing catch up with food, flowers, the works. I’m not planting anything until after Ireland trip. I have 2 hanging baskets I’ll take to a gf house before we leave so I don’t risk losing them.

Betrayal, Whispers/Whiskers/or Misty, is a beautiful cat. I love her ear tufts.

Mary it’s good to hear you and Tippy are getting good sleep. I went to orthopedic Dr for my neck and shoulder. Neck is muscle issue, shoulder is bicep tendonitis. So he gave me a NSAID, and a muscle relaxer. My sleep is great now on the muscle relaxers but I know as soon as I stop them, sleep will be wonky. I’ll enjoy 8 hours while I can.

Sandy, sympathy to your HK. Maybe DH didn’t want her at home for his passing, who knows. Sad she didn’t stay for the graduation.

Taco, Memorial Day weekend plans are a picnic, swimming, and catching up at a Gf house with her family on Sunday. Low key but enjoyable.

Karen getting to spend time with your granddaughter is key to having a great day. It’s very nice of your son to keep track of you too.

Mavericksmom, I too have blackout curtains and I love them. But I’ve added a sleep mask to my bedtime ritual, so no matter where I’m sleeping it’s dark.

Tina Turner had been out of the lime light for a while. I think the last interview I saw, she was in Switzerland living a slower paced life. I’ve always liked her, and will continue keeping her memory alive while listening to her music. Unfortunately I had never seen her in concert, nor have I seen the play.

I’ve seen my MO, actually her PA, all bloodwork good. Did note I’ve gained weight, and the estrogen increase with fat, so would like me back to previous weight. The MO was out due to catching covid. I see her again in November, then we’ll switch to yearly.

I’ve seen my orthotic foot doctor. Feet show improvement but wants me back in September for molds and new orthotics picking up in October. We leave in November for FL, short time to see if they’re working well for me. I’m not sure the ones I have are a year old and I may just cancel those spots for one out in May of 2024.

I’ve also gone to orthopedics as I mentioned above, for neck & shoulder pain. He gave me meds and a script for PT. I went to a PT place I like to get set up for some treatments. They couldn’t get me in until 6/1. We leave for Ireland 6/5. So I took back the script and figured I’d look elsewhere. Right now I’m using a microwaveable heating wrap, gives me moist heat, and doing some neck exercises in my own. PT will have to wait until I return from Ireland.

I see so many drs as we’re back in NY, it isn’t even funny. Today I met lady friends in our park for our walk. We got in just over 3 miles. I was dressed like it was winter - tank top, light weight fleece, long thick Columbus fleece, scarf, and my water repellent fleece lined jacket. I unzipped as we went along but was happy to have all those layers! It was a balmy 55. The high today was 65 and not until late in the day.

I did get out to cut down hydrangea stalks from last year out of 3 plants. I sat in the sun when I could. These plants always need to have dead stalks cut out. But they have buds on them, supposed to bloom on old growth, that are dead. I think I should just cut it all down before leaving for Florida - nothing has ever bloomed on this old growth. Save me the yearly work of getting the dead stuff out from all the new growth. That’s my rant for the day.

Sorry for writing a book length story.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,510
    Options

I'll be off line for the next couple days due to religious holiday tomorrow and Saturday.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,282
    Options

Actually, Judy had hip replacement, not knee. 

HK's nephew lives in Hyde Park (South Side of the city), works downtown, and his wife works in Schaumburg in the NW suburbs. Talked to HK today. Details were that when she got to the V.A. to pick her DH up Friday aft., they did decide to admit him, and either give the port placement one more try or get him into their hospice ward (the VA up here doesn't have a home hospice program). But on Tuesday he checked himself out against medical advice, and his nephew took him home. (No way they could compel him to stay, as he was "oriented x 3"—knew who he was, where he was, and what day it was). Yesterday morning the nephew cleaned him up, made him brunch and headed off to work. When he returned, he found him in bed, unresponsive. Called 911, tried CPR, but the EMTs pronounced him. He blames himself for having gone to work. But it's almost certain the DH slipped away while napping.

The cruel irony for my HK was that she was in the car, in the parking lot for the grad ceremony, when she got the call from her nephew. Her son (who also had to miss seeing his daughter graduate) had to turn around while she went online to try and get a flight home—but everything was booked up and she'd have had to wait till today for a flight. She called the airline and after a long wait on hold was able to book something for 6pm—she wouldn't have gotten to the airport in time but the agent told her the plane was stuck in Orlando till 9, so she was able to make the flight and took off at 10:30pm. When she got home, she was up past 3am cleaning up from her nephew & his wife—who had made a total mess when they stayed over in the basement rec room. She did manage today to schedule the wake, funeral and burial (military cemetery s. of Joliet) for next Thurs. I'm going over tomorrow to console her and see how I can help. His sisters and niece are coming up from S. Bend & Memphis; her BFF has also been helping. I'm going to try and find where we can do the post-burial repast (not enough time between funeral and interment, as it's a 90-minute drive from the church to the cemetery). Bob & I will foot the bill, of course. Friends & neighbors have set up a "meal chain" in the meantime. I will get the refreshments for the wake Wed. night.

My weekend plans include rehearsing with my singing partner for the dulcimer festival gig on 6/10-11. He's coming down from Madison this time.

• mcbaker
    Options

Sandy, American Legion or VFW are always a good bet, with catering, of course.

• illinoislady
    Options

Whatever else you do or forebear, impose upon yourself the task of happiness; and now and then abandon yourself to the joy of laughter. And however much you condemn the evil in the world, remember that the world is not all evil; that somewhere children are at play, as you yourself in the old days; that women still find joy in the stalwart hearts of men, and that men, treading with restless feet their many paths, may yet find refuge from the storms of the world in the cheerful house of love.   - Max Ehrmann

• betrayal
    Options

Regan and Misty are both in the kitchen without any issues. Misty is interested in the dog but they haven't had a close encounter yet. Regan gets upset/excited when she meows which is frequent. I think she thinks she is hurt and doesn't know what to do.

Tawny is not willing to meet yet. She is keeping her distance behind the couch in the family room. Misty is quite content to stay near me so I will let her stay out while supervised. She is sunning in the bay window. She is so tiny.

Dexascan showed osteopenia this round. I have been taking calcium and vitamin D supplements as long as I have been on AI's so this is disappointing. PCP just wants me to continue supplements as usual and increase exercise with repeat Dexascan in 2 years. Knees are keeping me from doing more exercise than the daily walking I do. I am hoping that Orthovisc will knock out knee issues but still have 2 weeks to go before I can get the injections. I was up most of the night with knee pain. Never rains unless it pours, I guess.

It is sunny and warm today so that is a good thing for mood. I have some house work to do and will start after I have lunch. Have a good day.

• cardplayer
    Options

My rheumatologist cut back my medication when I saw her last and it appears my aches and pains have increased a bit. It’s not keeping me from doing things, but I find myself using heat and ice more frequently and Tylenol. I did make an appointment with the podiatrist for my heel pain and have started to ice when I return from walks.

Sorry to hear about your dexa scan results Betrayal. Sounds like Mistry is adjusting nicely to your family.

Cindy - my DH cuts the hydrangeas during winter. They come back really nicely in the spring and bloom all summer. Not sure if that’s an option for you given your winter home schedule. Nice that you’re able to get all your medical appointments arranged for when you’re home.

Sandy - it so nice that you’re helping HK with funeral costs and that her friends / neighbors have taken care of meals. Will HK DH have a military funeral?

Looking forward to babysitting DGD tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing well and has a wonderful afternoon.

• mcbaker
    Options

Lidocaine patches are giving me a good night's sleep. I can't do it during the day, because then I overdo it.

• chisandy
    Options

I think the funeral will be military, as the burial will be at a national military cemetery.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mary—but this is not an American Legion/VFW crowd; the nearest such halls to them are located in minority-unfriendly (to put it charitably) neighborhoods. Oak Park won't do, as parking is next to impossible. Oak Brook is halfway between the house and the cemetery, and there a few Lettuce Entertain You restaurants there that might have room to handle 30-50 people for finger-food buffets. We are Lettuce members and have more than a few points to cash in.

Visited my HK today (took 90 min. to get there due to construction traffic). She's holding up well, receiving visitors from church and some friends helping with the obit; but not eating. All she wants are sweets—and all she has of those are the Russell Stover sugar-free kind (the maltitol in them will not do her digestive tract any favors). She has some of her DH's Ensure but doesn't feel like drinking it. So I just got in touch with her favorite grocery store in Oak Park and Instacart will be delivering her some deli & veggie trays, salad, and dessert/Lindt candy within the hour.

• mcbaker
    Options

"Thanks for the suggestion, Mary—but this is not an American Legion/VFW crowd; the nearest such halls to them are located in minority-unfriendly (to put it charitably) neighborhoods." That is downright shameful!!

• illinoislady
    Options

Would that there were an award for people who come to understand the concept of enough.  Good enough.  Successful enough.  Thin enough.  Rich enough.  Socially responsible enough.  When you have self-respect, you have enough.

Gail Sheehy

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,147
    Options

Sandy, nice of you to help you DHK out during her time of need.

Betrayal, I too had a Dexa Scan last week, thankfully my bone density is normal. That said, I was only on Letrozole for 6 months in 2019, I took myself off of it. I started again last November at the recommendation of my new MO, so who knows what my next scan will show? I am not taking any calcium other than what is in my multiple vitamin because my MO never mentioned it. I am very sorry your scan showed osteopenia!

I went grocery shopping this morning. There were a few more people due to the holiday, but at 7:30 A.M. most people are sleeping or on their way to their holiday destination.

I don't feel well, but I know it always took me about a year after a major surgery to feel "normal" again, and I had two major surgeries in 5 months, so I believe what I really need is just time.

Nothing special scheduled for the weekend, and I am just fine with that! Sun is shining and it is going to be another beautiful day! I hope everyone has a great weekend!

• betrayal
    Options

Had bought a long handled window cleaning tool that has soft scrubber on one side and squeegee on the other. So I scrubbed both garden windows, the bay window and the patio doors. The tops of the garden windows slant so they are hard to reach and to scrub. I was able to get on the ladder to do the powder room one but it still needs someone taller to give it a better scrub. However, it does look better that it did. The one in the kitchen I was able to reach and that looks great.

I had a new honeysuckle vine to plant on the new trellis my DB built me last year. So I had to dig out some Solomon's Seal which I bucketed and offered to my neighbor who was looking for a shade loving perennial plant. It can be aggressive so it needs to be planted where you want coverage. My one plant has turned into hundreds and I have given a lot of it away especially last year when we had the walkway installed. I had 6 buckets full. Much of it got planted where I want coverage so I can mulch less. So it is in the ground, the trailers have been wrapped on the trellis and it has been watered. All the patio plants have been watered as well. I still have some to put into planters but that will wait until another day.

I cooked red potatoes earlier for potato salad I will make this afternoon. Just need to chop the onion and celery now.

Trimmed all the dead wood off the hydrangeas and the lilac bushes. Watered them since we have not had any appreciable rain for awhile. My window box pansies are hanging in there and were watered, too.

Now I am tired. Had Misty out for several hours this morning and Regan is adjusting to her well. She does want to chase her so I have to keep an eye on her since Misty is so small. Have to keep her out of the kitchen garden window because I do not want to dump the upper shelf which is not meant to hold a cat, only plants. Of course, she is trying to taste all the plants and I am discouraging that.

Plan to grill steaks today, make baked potatoes and we got a Caesar salad with yesterdays take-out which we were too full to eat. It will get eaten today. Looking forward to the steaks.

It is sunny, going to the low 80's and I am enjoying this. Hope you all have a good day and a lovely Memorial Day weekend. I thank anyone who has served for their service to our country.

• illinoislady
    Options

You have sure been busy Betrayal. Just wow. Glad that the pets seem to be mainly okay and adjusting It is nice That Regan only seems to want to play with Misty. She will learn chasing is not ok, but great that she seems basically comfortable with her.

Having a lazy Saturday here so far. Will do what comes, mainly and keep up.

• keywestfan
    keywestfan Member Posts: 361
    Options

Sandy, Such a real loving mutually supportive relationship with you and HK who I remember meeting at Regalia on NYE. It's a real friendship. Hopefully her life will be easier now and she can pay attention to her own needs instead of being the constant caretaker for DH. Still, there's change and loss- one of life's constants.

You are right, of course- was my hip, not my knee. PT has told me my goal needs to be hip preservation of the other hip, which, too, is bone on bone, though without much pain. So she wants me to do the exercises and go to the gym no more than 2x a week. I'm just so darn compulsive though that this is hard and have to force myself to stop walking at 10k steps a day.

Have started Tai- Chi at Heartwood Center in Evanston with a marvelous teacher who was diagnosed with MS at 22, and now at 75 is a Grand Master of Chinese Martial Arts and is a calming,always supportive presence. Want to work on my balance and ever present anxiety. Heartwood Center is a warren of holistic practitioners, ranging from astrologers to cranial massage to Reiki- too new age for me, except for the Tai- Chi.

Reading a lot of John Updike who, in his last book of short stories, writes of how time consumes us. Am feeling the truth of that.

• chisandy
    Options

Judy, so true. I need more work on balance (Kellogg's Qi Gong class was too tricky for me, even 6 yrs ago), especially now that I have osteoporosis. So I'd need to improve my balance before I could start Tai Chi. My PT suggested a "Buff Bones" class—there's an instructor at EAC, but I'm not sure I can attend w/o joining. Neuro recommended a bone-friendly Pilates center in NW Evanston (Central St. corridor). Neither of them accept Medicare or supplements, of course—and that Pilates center is fiercely expensive.

We're going to have the repast at Maggiano's Oak Brook. Will be pricey, but all the work will be done by the venue. Logistics for refreshments for the Wed. night wake and Thurs. morning pre-service visitation will be tricky—hoping the funeral home staff and the church ladies, respectively, can handle that if I supply the refreshments (bagels, cookies, coffee, etc.). The funeral is at 10:30 am, and is Pentecostal, which could run a bit long. The military cemetery is way down near Wilmington in southern Will County, at least a 90-min. drive from the church, with the burial/graveside service from approx. 1:30-2pm. The repast will be about 3:30. That's a long time for people to deal with empty stomachs. I'm also nervous about the procession holding together on the way down, because much of it has to be on interstates—and drivers increasingly ignore funeral stickers, more so on interstates; mourners will inevitably get cut off, perhaps lose their way. There's been an increase in highway shootings, most preciptated by road rage. (Seems too many arguments or even perceived slights are addressed by gunfire—feels like 18th century Appalachia).

Have a bone to pick (several bones) with USPS. In early May I ordered my Dexilant refill from CanadaDrugsOnline—estimated delivery was 1-3 weeks. On May 16 I got an e-mail from them that my pills were shipped. Never got any other notice. The night of May 23 I realized I was down to 2 pills, and went to my USPS (mis)Informed Delivery account—which said the package was "delivered in/at mailbox 11:19 am Sat. May 20." (I don't have a "mailbox;" and I was downstairs near the door all that morning). So I scrolled back through my e-mail to find the Informed Delivery daily digest for May 20—which said "delivery expected Mon. May 22." Somebody is lying, of course. After dashing off a complaint to USPS (and an inquiry to the sender as to how much it'd cost to overnight the next refill via private delivery service), at roughly 2am on May 24 I heard a thump on the porch—and there was the box (closed with a piece of tape). ! Obviously, it had either been: misdelivered by someone who couldn't read or had numerical dyslexia and whoever received it brought it back to me; porch-pirated; or stolen by a USPS temp hire who saw the words "medication for personal use" on the label, thought they'd hit pay dirt but then realized the drug had no abuse potential so no street value. Or—quite likely—USPS can't even manage its own software.

Then, when I arrived home yesterday shortly before 7pm I got a text from Amazon that an order due to be delivered yesterday was subontracted to USPS and delivery was unsuccessful (time listed was "7:06pm") because "front door or driveway was inaccessible." Bullshit—my front door was easily accessible to the regular carrier who shoved letters through it earlier that day (and is how I get my flat mail pieces), and I have no "driveway." Unlike for Amazon packages delivered by Amazon, USPS does not take pictures of the delivered parcels to forward to Amazon—so there is no proof as to what actually happened. So I called USPS today, gave them the tracking number, and they confirmed the text. When I told them that someone was lying again, they said they had no way of determining any details other than "recipient's address was inacessible" and all they could do was file an incident report; meanwhile, they advised me to remain home until expected re-delivery time of "by 8pm."

What's happening, no doubt, is that USPS is hiring temps who are incompetent, overworked, dishonest or any combo thereof. Others on my neighborhood blog to whom this has happened reported that when the end of shift arrives and workload is still incomplete, the temp carriers must say they tried to deliver or even flat-out lie that it was delivered—in order not to get docked or disciplined; and that the official regular mail carriers—who are eligible for overtime—actually sit (even sleep) in their parked trucks until overtime kicks in. (The neighbors report seeing the parked and occupied mail trucks in the evening). The default is always to blame the recipient. One neighbor even has a Federal ct. lawsuit against the USPS (which not being part of the gov't per se has no sovereign immunity) because he had over 40 items to which this happened—all of them were insured, but the USPS refused to pay his claims because their software showed they were all delivered, with no way but the guy's word to refute that!

I am sick and tired of the lack of accountability everywhere these days!

• mavericksmom
    Options

(This is all in response to Sandy's post, but I broke it up for easier reading.)

Sandy, it sounds like you have things well planned! When my nephew passed, the funeral home gave everyone directions to the cemetery and to the restaurant where they held the repast. Sounds like they need to do that, especially if the route uses major highways.

I am saddened to read that Chicago has road rage shootings too! Philadelphia just had the 11th shooting on surrounding highways. The last two were done by someone on a motorcycle. I won't even go into the city anymore! We used to have season tickets to the Kimmel Center as well as hockey and baseball games. Now with the highway shootings, I am not sure I want to even go to the sports complex!

I noticed you had ocular melanoma. You were lucky they saved your eye. My nephew, in his mid 40's, is having his eye removed this coming week due to ocular melanoma. I guess the tumor is rather large. My sister is going to stay with the family to help care for their three children.

As for USPS, that is totally frustrating, even more so when it involves medications! I am so sorry this happened at a time when you have so much on your plate! I think we are all spoiled with Amazon!

As for lack of accountability, it will only get worse for all jobs as I have seen the trend in schools over the last 15+ years. Kids are no longer held accountable for anything. They don't do their homework, no consequence, in fact, teachers are told homework shouldn't count towards their grades! I witnessed so many bad behaviors and absolutely nothing happens, no consequences! The parents' rule and rather than stand their ground with rules and consequences, the trend is to praise good behavior and ignore the bad! Good strategy for pets, not so much for future citizens in our society!

Fewer and fewer college graduates know what work ethic is. They just don't care about their jobs, other than getting paid and having benefits! They feel entitled.

• cardplayer
    Options

Good Morning. We thoroughly enjoyed our couple of hours babysitting DGD yesterday. She woke up from her nap just as we arrived. After DD and SIL left for their brunch, we fed her lunch, which was fun for all. She does enjoy trying to feed herself. After we cleaned her up she had a bottle and then we played, did some tummy time, etc. She’s 8+months and a bundle of energy. She’s not crawling yet, but pushing herself up. I was pretty tired when I got home.

Betrayal - I wish I had half your energy. You get so much done. Hope the steaks tasted good last night.

Sounds like the funeral arrangements are coming along Sandy. Amazing how quickly things can be planned in a short period of time. Sorry to hear you’re having USPS issues. I know some areas suffered USPS staff cuts several years ago and continue to be impacted by those cuts.

Do you find Tai Chi helpful Keywestfan? I found some classes in our area, but they’re 2 hours long and they don’t have beginners classes.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

• illinoislady
    Options

There's nothing like a walk in the forest to clear my mind and get my spirit to calm down and slow down.  Any time I get away from the mass of people and find a quiet, solitary spot in nature, be it in the middle of the desert, in the forest, on a beach, or even along a lonely country road, I feel myself being refreshed, revived, renewed.  It's a wonderful feeling that I don't search out nearly enough.    -tom walsh

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,162
    Options

Tai Chi - I’m in an American Cancer Society study. For the study I wear the FitBit and should be doing Tai Chi 2-3x a week. They provided links for exercise classes in Tai Chi. For anyone interested they’re available on YouTube. Some are short 20 minute videos, some are longer. It was suggested I do the beginner one until I have the movements down. I’ll try to get the URL and post it. It goes over the movement several times, breaks it down nicely. Now my confession, I haven’t done it as much as I should have done. I’m still a beginner at 10 months out. From what I was told most falling accidents for those over 60 are due to poor balance and Tai Chi can help.

USPS - understaffed in both my NY and FL areas. The days of knowing the postman are done. While in FL there is a “mail forward” in effect for NY mail. I’ve received mail at the empty NY house multiple times. I caught one guy on my Ring and was able to yell - don’t put any mail in! He was startled but said ok he’ll make a note of it, after he pushed it through the door slot. I filed a complaint; they did an “investigation” and concluded it was because he was a sub and didn’t know. I call BS, my carrier doesn’t stick on the yellow forward stickers, it’s done at the main office.

My cold is near done with me, I hope. Saturday I had plans to get flags and go to the cemeteries making sure all family that should have a flag get one. But once I was up & dressed my head felt too clouded to drive. I ended up sitting in a bag chair reading a book for hours. Then I went inside to peel off my sweaty damp clothes, toss on a night shirt and crawled in bed. I slept for about an hour. This cold is kicking my butt. I did a covid test because everyone is leery I have covid. It was negative and I pretty much knew that - I have no fever, nor nausea. Just a kick butt cold.

Once I was awake I binge watched a show on AppleTV. It was a book I had read that was made into a mini series. Enjoyable enough. Because I’m so out of it with this head cold we’ve decided not to put up the screen house until we’re back from Ireland. Hence the bag chair in the back yard and watching the show indoors (a tv goes in the screen house). Everything is “off” due to time constraint and head cold. I’m envious of all the yard work and planting you’ve all done.

Osteopenia - I was dx with it after one year on Anastrazole. At that time I worked out hard 5x a week. I didn’t want to take any drugs for it. But my MO said it was only going to get worse, the AI goes after the bones. I started on generic Fosamax. My first dexa scan since stopping it in Nov 2022 will be this coming Friday. The Fosamax had me back in normal ranges so I’m hoping I stayed there. So frustrating to take a drug, the AI, and then having to take another drug to offset the SE of the first drug.

I’ve rambled on enough. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend. Our high today should hit 87, which is too high for me.

• chisandy
    Options

I had my first DEXAScan the same day I began radiation—two months before starting Letrozole. A week later (after Medicare kicked in), I was dx'ed with moderate osteopenia. Because of GERD, oral bisphosphonates are a no-go for me. At the time, Medicare Part B wouldn't cover Prolia because it was a "drug" (theoretically could be self-injected), but Part D wouldn't because it was a "treatment" (administered at a facility). So I was given a Zometa/Reclast infusion, which was a nightmare: first the lab lost my test (for calcium), then the Kellogg pharmacy couldn't find the stuff, then the chemo room staff had trouble finding & tapping a vein (the lab phlebotomist refused to leave the catheter in, incredulous that I didn't have a port). With each click of the pump my veins felt like they were on fire. I spiked a 103F (not 100.3) and for 3 days I had horrible bone pain & electric-shock spasms. Then the FDA ruled that for postmenopausal women on AIs, Medicare Part B should cover Prolia—so I got twice-yearly shots for 3 years. After 2 years on it, my osteopenia improved to borderline and even some measurements "normal." But unlike bisphosphonates, Prolia leaves the system completely by 6 months post-injection—so in 2022 my scan showed one hip measurement had crossed over (just barely) into osteoporosis. (Runs in my family—and though I'm overweight, I have a small frame so that's an additional risk factor). My endocrinologist has me on twice-yearly Prolia for at least the next decade. (And I have to be fanatical about dental self-care to avoid extractions and risk ONJ).

I chose a family-style-dinner plus dessert buffet option for the repast—but the banquet dept. is closed till Tuesday, so I hope we can touch bases with our food choices and give them the sales-minimum as a deposit. It's gonna be hot as hell on Thurs. (especially at the cemetery, way inland), and the graveside service is supposed to begin at 1:30 and take half an hour. On the one hand, the military does not brook tardiness; but on the other, the lengthy drive from the church (at least 90 min. on a good day) and construction traffic may play havoc with guests' punctuality. I will contact the funeral home Tuesday (if my HK or her sister or church friends haven't) so directions to not only the cemetery but from the cemetery to the restaurant (about an hour n. of the cemetery) can be printed in time to hand out. Meanwhile, I need to arrange (and buy) some cookies & pastry for the wake on Wed. aft. (hopefully, the mortuary will have coffee) and maybe some bagels for the pre-funeral visitation early Thurs. morning. It'll be a long time between the start of the funeral and the repast. May even buy some granola bars & water bottles for the mourners to take along.

All this along with early car appt. tomorrow, cat care (Heidi will have to be satisfied with kibble & water and miss Thurs. noon's medication dose), garden maintenance, laundry, housework (I won't have my HK back till at least a week from tomorrow), rehearsals for the dulcimer festival gig. Oy. To save my back I bought a ton of Swiffer cloths and a wheeled laundry basket. I also need to change out & clean out one of Heidi's litterboxes (she will pee only on conventional, not clumping, litter—which sets up like boulders, sticks to the box and weighs a ton).

• chisandy
    edited May 2023
    Options

The car appointment is Tues., in Bronzeville, s. of the Loop. (Worst car dealership service dept. I've ever encountered—nothing but the water fountain and weak coffee are free; junk food vending machine snacks, no reading matter, and the TV is stuck on letterbox, as they provide only the cable box remote and not the one for the TV—and the mechanics knock off at 3pm)! I won't have to buy refreshments for the morning of the funeral, as the church will provide a continental bkfst.; but not sure about the funeral home. Will hit Costco after the car appt. and buy a flat of water bottles and a box of energy bars. Also have a box of 30 packs of Lorna Doones, so there will be at least something in people's tummies to get them through the long hot day.

Did have a decent rehearsal today, though. Calluses have built up nicely. Will spend the interim deciding on set list (has to be dulcimer-dominant) and practicing it; will rehearse again next Sunday.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Sandy, I hope all goes as planned for the funeral. As for the car dealership, I have a wonderful dealership that I drive 45 minutes to an hour to go to. I don't care about snacks or coffee, I bring my own, I care about great reliable service which they provide. Last year they didn't even charge me for my visit, as I have been going to them since I bought my car in 2016 (Subaru) and the person I deal with at the desk knew about my cancer diagnosis. I never feel taken advantage of, as I have at every other dealership I ever went to! They have a beautiful lounge, the TV is set to HGTV, so can be interesting but never objectionable. I also bring work to do while I wait. Comfortable lounge and clean restrooms are all I care about as I wait for my car.

Today is sunny and looks to be a beautiful day. The high school band usually plays in the Memorial Day parade. When my daughter was in the band, all three years it rained. I think they got to perform once, the other two times they had to cancel due to the rain. My parade days are over.

Bone pain is back, got up early today due to it. I feel totally broken. My implant breast has a hollowed-out spot at the top and is sagging so much more than my real breast it replaced. Not at all what I expected. Not sure what I will do about it as I can't justify another surgery simply for appearance sake.

I am trying to increase my exercise and plan to go back to the gym. I feel as if the gym is the only place I ever found success with exercise. If I go around 7:30-8:00 every morning, I know I will feel happier and healthier. My gym accepts Silver Sneakers so I plan to go tomorrow to sign up. Even if they don't accept that, I am signing up. I will need to push through the pain, but I have done that before. I read somewhere recently that the first two weeks of walking for exercise, is all about getting into a routine and not about how far or how long you walk. I am applying that philosophy to the gym as well. I hope I don't get Covid at the gym, but if I do, I will just have to deal with that. I need exercise and I don't have room at home for gym equipment and I do not like walking for exercise. The gym offers both cardio and weight training.

It is hard having breast cancer three times because I can't shake the feeling that I am going to be hit with mets sometime in the future. I realized I should appreciate the fact that I can exercise and I do not want to pass up on the opportunity to get into better shape! I read that between diet and exercise, exercise is the better of the two. Of course that doesn't mean one should not eat healthy foods, just that if focusing on one, that exercise is the better option.

• illinoislady
    Options

To worry over conditions that you cannot change is gratuitous folly. To get and keep your own peace of mind, to do your own duties well, and to see the Presence of God in all people and things, is the surest way both to help the world and to make your own life divinely successful, too. -Emmet Fox

• illinoislady
    Options

Sandy, I do hope all goes well. I think time and distance seems to be the biggest issues. You and others are doing all you can to make everything else happen well. Providing snacks to keep people comfortable through the day's activities.

Hmmm, I tried using my dealership. I wanted my car to REALLY last although the kind of car I have does have a good reputation for longevity. They have it all down fairly well ( though use machines for snacks and goodies while you wait) but were just too expensive. I am most fortunate that I have Dh, SIL and GIL so almost anything with my car can be handled. I have 154,000 miles on my car and it should have a whole lot more before I need another.

I am trying to devise my own small exercise program, using ideas and routines that I was given long ago when I first cme home from the hospital. I have not kept up in any way and feel I would have done a lot better had I not gotten lazy about pushing myself back a few months ago. So, I will just try to get back into the groove because I need to improve on 'stamina' as well as strength.

It is a bit on the boring side, but I hopefully can overcome that.

It is overcast so far today. We are going to gd burgers on the grill later on. Likely some sweet peppers as well. I make a sm. bit of potato salad. Bland, but everyone knows where the saltshaker is — the important thing is I can control the salt if I make it. Learning to enjoy food with almost so salt at all. Using other spices at times, and I was pleasantly surprised to find how many spices there are now that have no salt in them.

Hope you all have a good Memorial Day.