Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,547
    Options

It is widely recognized that being negatively sensitive about one's health through worry-imagery and pessimistic self-talk can make and keep one sick. What is not so widely recognized, however, is that being positively sensitive about one's health--"listening" to the body, avoiding damaging influences, imagining and directing healing energy, visualizing perfect health, and so on--can make and keep one well, as an increasing number of people are discovering, some of them through curing themselves of "incurable" illnesses.

Benjamin Hoff

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

ChiSandy: I am with you about the 23rd Psalm and this was one reason my mother requested the Old Testament version vs the sanitized Catholic version at her funeral. She was raised Methodist and converted to Catholicism and we used to call her the Pope's right hand woman because she was so Catholic. Like poetry so prefer King James version even if the meaning is archaic.

Cindyny: Enjoyed your Ireland photos and the ones for your Fitbit. I do not have as much info with my Fitbit but am not as physically active by biking, etc. so mine suits me fine. It does synch with my phone so I can see text messages. I don't need it to tell me the phone is ringing though because Regan doesn't like a ringing phone and starts to yodel (closest I can come to describing sound she makes because it is not a howl) until it stops or we answer it.

Rainy and in the 60's for today and next few days seem to have same forecast. we need the rain though so I will focus on indoor activities. I want to iron today and then maybe go back to DD's former room to finish the closet.

MCB: Countdown is on for your surgery. Hope you can get some pain relief now before surgery. Seems you have done all your prep work and are ready to go.

Illinois: Glad your test results were positive and give you a year's reprieve. Yeah!!!! One less thing to worry about.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• illinoislady
    Options

Beautiful morning outside so far. I wish I could see a little more movement of breezes in the leaves. Mostly just the trembling of some thin branches. Maybe not too bad if the humidity has settled a bit. It was okay yesterday, but then I was on Cloud Nine from getting released by Dr. Barrientos for a whole yr. for cystoscopies.

Have some catch-up things today and will I think run over and see Jo and if our local ambulance company is going to go over and pick up Dr. B today. The companies across the river do not come this far in Illinois, but being so small here has some advantage. As well, Dr. B. is friends with most of the companies/drivers here since we are so small.

Had a little struggle with my medications from yesterday. Very easy to get off when having procedures but should be able to easily get it all back in good form today.

While I have not had the rather dramatic results a great many people have when getting ICD's put in, I at least seem to get most days a slightly higher over-all blood pressure reading.

It makes the med schedule easier for sure. Also, I am a lot more comfortable — less of the 'ache' of the head or back and body that is annoying first before it develops into much more feelable distress. The issue is it never goes any farther most of the time but hangs in at the annoyance level.

So, a somewhat restful day interspersed with catch-up items. My list — always waxing and waning.

I think after seeing screen shots — fit bits will be too electronic for me. I avoid my cell phone as often very un-wieldy for me.

Hope you all have a marvelous day.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,159
    Options

Betrayal, before I forget, I didn't know Quakers also have marriage contracts! I really like the idea of it, I wish I had one when I got married, at least a beautiful written one that could be seen daily.

Sandy, glad your ortho appointment went well! As for the mask, my ortho doctor's office stopped wearing masks months ago. None of the staff wore them when I visited in January of this year. I was surprised. The hospitals around my area all stopped the masking policy when the government "ended" Covid. I don't mask anymore, not even at my appointment today. I do keep up on the vaccines.

Illinois, glad you are doing better and your procedure went well! I am sending you a PM.

My DH's appointment yesterday went well. He thinks PT will help so he wrote a script and I am taking my DH to get him scheduled at the same PT place I had great success with last year. DH's doctor also prescribed Jardiance for his diabetes. I am not crazy about him adding yet another drug to his long list, especially since it is supposedly quite expensive. I think my DH has been slacking off and isn't staying on top of his diet and blood sugar like he had been doing. Also, he can't hear the blood sugar beeper go off half the time due to his poor hearing. He does have an appointment to get his hearing checked and hopefully will get hearing aids.

My appointment this morning with my BS was pretty much what I expected it to be. I told him about the lumps I found and about my bone pain. He dismissed both. I am not changing BS's because I no longer have breasts so I doubt I will need to see him after a few years. I really like my MO and I have an appointment with him in early September, so he is the one I would continue to see. I was shocked that my BS told me NOT to examine my "breasts!" He said I am being seen regularly by him and the MO and to let them do the examining! He said only experts should be checking the breasts for cancer! I felt like saying "listen bub, I spent three years in a veterinary office and seven in agricultural research and I am very good at palpation because my patients couldn't speak! And, if it wasn't for the fact that I told the technician I had pain in a particular area of my breast which caused the radiologist to do an US, my ILC would have grown much larger because it didn't even show up on the mammogram and wasn't palpable!" But, of course I didn't say that out loud, I was actually stunned that he even said what he did in the first place.

I know I am paranoid, and I absolutely think I will get cancer again. I wish my BS had a PA I could see instead of him because my experience with PA's and NP's is that they take more time with patients and seem to listen more and lecture less. I am not worried waiting until September to see my MO. I know most likely I am NED now. Even so, I am still concerned, especially about the bone pain, but again, don't think three months will make any difference.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

Illinois - glad your procedure went well and that you won’t need to return for another year.

Sandy - so nice that you had a good ortho visit. Glad you also got a good report and any discomfort goes away quickly.

Mavericksmom - glad you got a good report from your BS.

The foot reflexology appointment went well. She started me off with a foot bath, which I found very soothing. Once I got up on the table, she gave me a facial reflexology before starting in my feet. I also have numbness on the left side of my face, so the facial interesting for me. I’ve never had one professionally done and may have her do one for me in the future to see if I like it or not. The foot reflexology was quite comfortable and I was very relaxed while she worked on my feet. I have another appointment in a couple of weeks. If it can reduce the neuropathy pain even more that would be nice. Reducing the amount of medication that I take for the pain would be nice.

Another drizzly day. No sun again either. More of the same weather tomorrow. We’ve needed to rain, since we were close to drought conditions. But would like to see the sun at some point.

Have a wonderful afternoon and evening.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,317
    edited June 2023
    Options

Karen, not only didn't we get the hailstorm, we haven't had anything resembling rain up here by the lakefront in over 2 weeks. Have had to water the plants and use the lawn sprinkler daily.

Judy, I went to Northwestern because that was the ER to which the ambulance took me. I chose Dr. Bradley Merk because his subspecialty was listed as "trauma" rather than joint replacement, sports, spine, etc. Thanks for the heads-up about whom not to see at Skokie! I agree re Dr. Hoeper—he dx'ed & treated a nasty hip bursitis about 9 yrs. ago. I do miss Dr. Wixson (my joint replacement surgeon), though. Sadly, he retired a few years ago (but not sadly for him—he gets to travel and ski, along with his wife who is a fellow Bar Show castmate of mine). He did my R knee at NWM and then a year later, after switching to NShore, my L knee at Skokie.

I switched from Fitbits in 2017. First, I had a Fitbit Surge in 2015 that literally burned the top of my wrist when its battery overheated, and its rubber strap caused a rash on the inside of my wrist. I returned it and got a Blaze instead. I liked that it even rang when my iPhone did. Unfortunately, in June 2017 it would die after I'd removed it from its charger. I bought an Apple Watch Series 2 and never looked back. I upgraded to a 4 with cell service in 2019, and then a 7 in 2021.

Funny thing about my Apple Watches. My Series 4 used to add "steps" to my count whenever I would applaud enthusiastically; and think I "had a hard fall" when I'd wave my arms overhead during choreography rehearsals, or even smash garlic cloves under the blade of my knife. But my Series 7 didn't even sense I fell this time! I traded my bedside iPhone (auxiliary, different carrier) from a 12Pro to a 14Pro because the 12's charging coil bit the dust and its battery would discharge while I'd lay it on the MagSafe charging pad on my nightstand. One of the 14 series' selling points was its fall & crash detection—but I never carry it with me except when I have to travel, as it has an unlimited data plan for streaming music or navigating; if I fell with it in my purse it probably wouldn't sense anything untoward. My main phone (and the number I tie to various accounts) is a 12ProMax, that works just fine. No need to upgrade it unless I use up its storage (unlikely) or the 15 this fall gets some new features that are important to me.

• illinoislady
    Options

I believe one of our souls' major purposes is to know, love, and express our authentic selves. To live the life and be the person we were created to be. However, our true selves only emerge when it's safe to do so. Self-condemnation, shame, and guilt send your true nature into hiding. It's only in the safety of gentle curiosity, encouragement, and self-love that your soul can bloom as it was created to do. -Sue Patton Thoele

• cardplayer
    Options

I lucked out with my orthopedic surgeon in our small town. I saw her when my left hip started to give me pain. She tried an injection first which gave me relief for several months. The replacement went smoothly and I recovered quickly. Can’t ask for much more than that. Wish it was easy to get in to see others in the practice, but you need referrals unless you’ve seen them before. There’s one other orthopedic practice, but not as well thought of in the area.

The foot reflexology was a pleasant experience. She started me off with a foot soak and hand massage. Once I was up on the table, I had facial reflexology and then the foot reflexology. I’ve already made another appointment for more foot reflexology. It felt great and I slept wonderfully last night. I may try a facials in the future to see if it helps my facial numbness.

We started off with rain again today. We did get a walk in though. It’s cleared up some but is humid and we expect thunderstorms later. Hope everyone is doing well and has a wonderful start to the weekend.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,519
    Options

Very thankful that we had no damage from the two days of hail storms. We were in the mountains all week so we didn't get to see how things fared till this morning. Are plants are all great and no tree limbs down.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 857
    Options

MM thank you for the insight about your shoulder surgeries. I will let you know if I have other questions! I too have loss of function

Sandy appreciate the reference to the Jewish NT. I will look it up!

Illinois thanks as always for the encouragement.

Carole, yes the ESV version of the Bible is easier to read ( modern English) albeit not as beautiful prose as the KJV.

Have a good weekend everyone. Continuing rainy 🌧 in DC. Indoor tasks are on the plate.

• chisandy
    edited June 2023
    Options

Tonight we went to Eataly's "Summer Kick-Off Party." I had expected a repeat of the orderly wine, cheese & antipasto tasting around the second floor perimeter we'd gone to about 8 yrs. ago, but this was insane. DJ downstairs, loud cover band upstairs, huge crowd of mostly millennials & Gen Z-ers partying their butts off. Lots of mini cocktails (variations on spritzers leaded & unleaded) and mediocre wines. Unlike that first tasting, none of the good stuff like Barolos or good sparklers—just the cheaper reds, whites, roses and prosecco. There were a lot of good bites but they were hard to find because the stations weren't the same as the store's overhead signage. Very little variety in cheeses and the less expensive salumi (no prosciutto DOP). But we had good Neapolitan & Roman pizzas (Margherita, funghi, pesto, arrabiatta/burrata). Interesting small pastas, the ubiquitous boiled shrimp (yawn), calamari-octopus salad, black truffle risotto, some agnolotti, ravioli and various tubular pastas (yawn again). Bruschetta and suppli (Roman rice/marinara fritters) were tricky to find. Overabundance of desserts—an olive oil/mascarpone gelato, fruit sorbets, tiramisu, cake bites, and fill-them-yourself mini cannolli were the standouts. Most of the coffee shots were iced, sweetened, creamy or all three—but the barista did pull us a couple of normal hot shots to end the evening before we finally left and were able to hear ourselves converse again. (When I noticed Bob nursing his glass of red wine and looking to score some rare seating, I knew that we needed to wind things down).

Was nice cabbing it there & back—not having to deal with traffic, and the cab fares & tips both ways combined were about the same price as the nearest garage. (Not going to take the train on a weekend summer night—my feet couldn't handle the long walks to & from the stations, and some nasty stuff had gone down of late in that Near North CTA station). We're finding the Curb taxi app more dependable than Uber or Lyft, and cheaper too—no "surge" pricing.

Bob & I agreed that we're getting too old for this kind of thing—especially any event with "Party" in the title. His hearing is bad enough as it is (and he refuses to take the time to be fitted for HAs, remembering how much his mom hated hers), but the only way we could converse was for me to talk directly into his ear. (I could still hear him over the din, but my voice was straining). Had I gone solo, I wouldn't have hesitated to wear my musicians' ear plugs to protect my hearing from the loud EDM and band. Not just that, but given last week's events I was terrified of falling again—different heights between sections of floor surface, people (many of them sloshed) pushing, waitstaff weaving in & out. I found myself consciously thinking "heel-toe, heel-toe" and looking down at my feet quite a bit.

Tomorrow should be a lovely day before the heavens open up after midnight. Chance of downpours & worse all day Sunday (but we desperately need the rain), which is the day of the Pride Parade, the first real one since before the pandemic.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Cloudy with intermittent rain here and it is supposed to stay this way for the whole week. We need the rain, and intermittent rain is best, so I can't complain. I really hope we don't run into any heavy rain on Tuesday as DH and I are going out to Lancaster to visit my DS and BIL.

Cindy, I hope your arrival home was safe and uneventful, and that you are catching up on much needed sleep!

Cardplayer, so glad you enjoyed the reflexology! That's sounds awesome!

Karen, I am so thankful you didn't have damage due to the hail. I read that concert goers at Red Rocks were injured. I imagine getting hit with such large hail hurt! That is one of my favorite venues to hear a concert, with the natural acoustics.

I looked at my visit summary posted on my patient portal from my BS visit and was surprised that my BP was 179/90. I am not worried as I have had it much higher than that before. BP can change minute to minute. I have a visit with my cardiologist on Thursday so I will see what it is then. Honestly, I don't think the reading was accurate as the nurse used a cuff on my lower arm.

Yesterday my DH's adjustable bed arrived. Thankfully it was delivered early in the morning so we had time to go to the PT facility where they set up an appointment for my DH this coming Friday. That was the earliest they could fit him in but it worked out perfectly as all the days this week we have something scheduled!

The realization of just how much "stuff" I have in my house is really getting to me. I took more boxes of things, mostly old pictures in frames, upstairs. I am piling it all in my DS's old room, and I don't think much more will fit! Once my DH is settled downstairs, I will go into his old bedroom upstairs and start decluttering. Then I will go through the small bedroom full of "stuff!" I keep telling myself how good I will feel after I am done, but right now that isn't helping my feeling of being over-whelmed!

• illinoislady
    Options

One way can be learned by starting to see the magic in everything. Sometimes it seems to be hiding but it is always there. The more we can see the magic in one thing, a tiny flower, a mango, someone we love, then the more we are able to see the magic in everything and in everyone.  Where does the mango stop and the sky begin?     -Joshua Kadison

• illinoislady
    Options

Good morning. Lovely out but no air movement noticeable — not the merest quiver of a leaf. I worry then, but the last rain was a few days ago so maybe the humidity won't be too bad. Overall we have not had excessive heat actually, just a couple of very humid or no wind at all days which made it un-comfortable.

MM I am on your page of overwhelm totally. Each time I want to start some work in my own bedroom I'm either too pooped or something else comes up. I have found the past couple of years it seems impossible not to always be juggling things on the list.

Found out yesterday that my help will be needed to clear out and declutter at the BIL's house. He is the one that had the quad bypass and a yr. later had massive issues with short term memory to the point of having to be put in a hospital first and a rehab/memory/assisted living after. It has been a bit over three yrs. His Dr. thinks he can now handle being at home. He was neat to an extent (stacked things nicely) but kept too many of his magazines and catalogs. He could often go through the older ones to find needful things not always prominent in the newer version of the catalog/magazine. All must go along with a major cleaning cycle on the rest of the house. Meaning a serious fridge clean-up and bathrooms, not to mention over three yrs. of dust everywhere. Well, hopefully tackling something like that may make it a bit easier for my bedroom. It certainly has had cleaning along the way — but I'm just woefully behind on the weeding process.

High blood pressure was always an issue for me. Then the valve replacement and I went the other way into low blood pressure with an ejection fraction that kept decreasing which is why I now have that ICD in my chest. One way or the other it is a challenge.

I do think the amt. of chemicals and or salt and sugars and other preservatives for shelf life have interfered greatly in overall health. Eventually, while bodies are young it seems the body can often keep up but with age comes some in-ability.

I do so hope that I can avoid having to take the huge handfuls of daily pills some of my patients have had. I hope that for all of us. Despite all troubles I'm not taking that much. In fact, I think it is about the same amt. I just dropped out high blood pressure pills in exchange for about the same amt. of heart medications.

Hope you all have a great week-end.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Illinoislady: Do not envy you the job of cleaning out BIL's home that has been not addressed in 3 years. It is easier to declutter his belongings since it seems he was a "neat" saver. Hoping the refrigerator was left running but had no contents for those 3 years to make clean out easier. Hoping also that home is on the smaller side if you have to tackle cleaning it out and for dust extraction. Can he afford to hire a cleaning service to do initial cleaning for you? Especially if they plan on discharging him quickly. MD says he can go home but will he be able to be self-sufficient or need assistance with ADL's? A social worker or COSA should help with this transition and to see what support services will be required. Good luck.

I had 3rd Orthovisc injection yesterday and last is next Friday. It will take weeks before I find out if there have been any benefits from this round and hoping it will get me through trip in October. Did not realize he hit a bleeder on right leg until late in day when I discovered 3 large blood spots on my pants leg. It was covered by a bandaid so this was strike through but the pants leg sopped it up. Then discovered this morning that I had bled on sheets as well. So I get to wash bed linens again for this week. I did manage to get blood out of pants and sheets. Was able to wipe down mattress cover to remove blood there. Plus I had a nose bleed while I was waiting for him. I have a problem with a bone spur in my nose and if I blow my nose too hard, it bleeds and it did. I can't imagine what my next blood work will show since I am already borderline anemic.

I had made a run to the new bakery I tried last week to buy a surprise birthday cake for DD. Her birthday was on Wednesday and they will be here tomorrow. It is a chocolate cake with white icing. It was already decorated with some violet flowers and they wrote HB and her name on the cake for me. I also picked up a cinnamon swirl tube cake and it is delicious. I sent slices with DH today since he is at a ham radio field day with DGS. Will give some to DD and DSIL tomorrow.

It is rainy today and predicted to have intermittent showers until next Thursday. Time to focus on indoor purging of closets. Plan on finishing DD's former closet today and start on DH's tomorrow. He has so many dress clothes that he no longer needs in this quantity and could be used by those seeking employment, etc.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• cardplayer
    edited June 2023
    Options

With all the discussion about decluttering, I feel like I should do some. But we’ve got rid of so much before we moved and recently went through our files. I did just finish the cleaning the shower and the inside of the windows (cat nose prints). I’ll tackle the refrigerator another day. Resting my back now.

I enjoy hearing about your Chicago food experiences Sandy. When I lived in Oak Park long ago one summer (1976), we spent weekends searching for the best cheese cake and eating at places with odd sounding names like Lettuce Us Entertain You and Fritz That’s It. Wish I could remember some of the other places we went.

Illinois - hope you can get some help with your BIL home cleanup. Sounds like there’s lots of work to be done and more that just a simple home decluttering. Sorry you’re dealing with high blood pressure.

Mavericksmom - sounds like you’ve made good progress on moving your DH to his new bedroom. Getting rid of older items is definitely a hard, but often necessary chore. It’ll probably feel good when everything is all done. Do you have plans for the empty room? Glad to hear you’re seeing your cardiologist next week. High blood pressure is definitely worrisome.

Betrayal - glad to hear you got your 3rd injection, but sorry to hear that you bled so much. Hope it’s all under control. Enjoy the cake for DD birthday.

We finally saw the sun today. DH and I took a walk earlier this morning before it got too warm and humid. We expect thunderstorms later this afternoon. Hope everyone is doing well and has a great weekend.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 288
    Options

chisandy - the food at Eataly sounds delicious, however I couldn’t tolerate the noise. I’m sure I’d end up with a pounding headache. We have a 30-50% chance of rain over the next 3 days but I’m not optimistic and we need it so badly. Hopefully the rain holds off for the Pride Parade tomorrow. My son lives in the area and it’s a very big deal.

Cardplayer - the reflexology sounds very relaxing. Glad to hear it helped with the neuropathy

MM - sounds like significant progress is being made in setting up DH’s bedroom. It’s a lot of work but you’ll feel so good when it’s done and it will be a better situation for DH

Betrayal - fingers crossed the Orthovisic gives you needed relief to enjoy your trip in October. Will the injection stave off the need for a joint replacement?

illinois -you are a wonderful person to help clean out BIL’s house so he can return home. I admire your willingness to always help others.

As for me, I’m adjusting to retirement. I don’t miss the work, but do occasionally miss being around people. most days I go for a walk or ride my bike or take a yoga class. I’m very slowly cleaning out my closet and then will move to the next room(s). I’m all set up on Medicare and supplement so there won’t be a gap in coverage. I’m still figuring out how to remain mentally active. At 65 I should have a few good years ahead of me yet (I hope), but feel like I’m no longer a productive member of society. I also need to get past the need to be active every minute and enjoy having free time.

Enjoy the weekend!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

It's 67 degrees and cloudy, says my laptop. We went to the Farmers Market this morning and set up a smaller display than normal, since the weather forecast was for rain. It was quite windy, too. Fewer than half the regular vendors showed up.

I quickly visited two vendors selling beautiful fresh vegetables and made some purchases. I also bought eggs from the Amish vendors next to us. And bars of soap from another vendor whose soap I really like. Not surprisingly we made only a few sales and didn't sell any of dh's larger turned bowls. It's always fun to visit with the other vendors and with the people coming to shop or just browse. If we'd stayed home, we would have wondered whether not going was a mistake.

One vendor was selling delightful little miniature succulents gardens in attractive bowls. I might have gone back to her tent and bought one but we quickly packed up shortly before noon when it started raining in earnest, not just sprinkling rain.

We've been watching LSU baseball team in the national competition. They've made it to the finals and will be playing Florida tonight.

• illinoislady
    Options

Cardplayer, it is so easy to get turned around. Most of us here are at ages that tend to have issues (aside from a cancer dx.) in a range. I DID have high blood pressure, but when I needed the mitral valve replaced, ended up (surprise to them and me as well) having low BP which is still low. The ICD has helped somewhat but I still from time to time have to swig water to get my pressure up enough to take the heart medications prescribed.

I was thrilled after the operation to have blood pressure that seemed to want to behave., only to find out I wasn't necessarily better off. I think it is going to turn out okay for me though. I just have to be persistent.

Carole, I likely would have spent quite a lot of time with the vendor with succulent gardens. Maybe she will be back, and you will find her again. I'm a pushover. for a number of things and green growing things are on the list. Of course, I've likely mentioned I'd be falling in love with some of those bowls your Dh has as well. I had a beautiful salad set — lg walnut wood salad bowl and 4 smaller individual bowls, and it was so pretty. No longer have it, but always have to stop at anything that resembles it.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Harley, I just retired in February and I feel the same, I miss seeing people every day! Working in a school I had summers off, but they were usually busy catching up on cleaning, vacations, having company visiting, going to farmers markets etc. and before I knew it, it would be the end of August and I would be back at work! I like some of the activities others here enjoy. I definitely plan to join the gym I used to belong to. Apparently they accept Silver Sneakers, but even if they don't, I am going to join because I have got to get more exercise! BTW, I am 69 and I plan to have way more than a few good years ahead of me! I think we both will!

Illinois, I too think you are so kind to help clean out your BIL's house! I would hope the refrigerator had been emptied when he left, and unplugged. I hope the heat was on and you don't find leaking pipes! Three years uninhabited is a long time! Also, I too hope your BP adjusts well too!

Carole, your DH's bowls sound beautiful! He is so lucky to have a talent and be able to share it with others and make some money too!

Betrayal, good to hear your last shot will be on Friday. I am crossing my fingers that you get relief from them! It is concerning about the blood. Is there a reason the blood from your leg didn't clot? I barely had a dot of blood on the band-aid when I had my knee injections.

Cardplayer, I love that you and your DH walk together! Yes, I know I will feel good when I get through all the clutter. I just need to remind myself that it will take months to finish the whole house. We have lived in the same house for 43 years and as I said before, my kids left home and didn't take all their stuff with them! LOL

I found out today that my very sweet SIL has been put on a feeding tube. I feel so bad for her. She has a disease that causes her to lose muscle function. (Inclusion Body Myositis) She failed the swallowing test and her risk of choking is too great, so she needed the feeding tube! Her doctors prepared her over the years, and told her that this might happen. She is at home and has a very positive attitude. She was a school librarian and loves to read. It is just so hard to know what to say to her.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 257
    Options

Haley - catch your breathe and then you will find that there are many opportunities out there to keep you both mentally and physically stimulated. Almost every non-profit needs volunteers to do something so think about what your passion is and how you can get involved. Walk dogs, tutor (kids or English as a second language), stuff food boxes, build houses. Volunteers who do something on a consistent day often become friends.

Have you checked out your local senior center - most have classes, interest groups, games, and maybe trips. Many don't start playing pickle ball until they retire so you wouldn't be the only newbie. Libraries have book clubs or start your own. You have no doubt noticed, many here do Bible study with a group. Join a service club or become active in a political party. Find a walking partner. In other words, the world awaits you.

To get more specific - my sister reads math books for the blind, goes to Bible study, sings in the choir and works at her church's consignment shop. She does yoga and plays MarJong at her senior center. I have served on non-profit boards where I have met like-minded folks. I've also been active in lineage societies and book clubs, and play bridge and golf at the local county club. I spend an afternoon a week with my surrogate grandaughter. DH and I have a lunch date once a week.

Even at 77, I know I do better if I have at least one thing to do out of the house but three are too many. I am also grateful for a day like today when I don't even have to get dressed.

Enjoy!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Taco, wonderful advice for retired folks, including people like me who have been retired for 20 years. I have intended to get involved in some kind of volunteer service but just haven't done it. I did contact the Food Bank at home but there was no interest on their part. Apparently they didn't need my help. I see volunteers at the hospital and at outpatient clinics. I guess it takes some determination to volunteer!

I got sad news yesterday about a cousin, Iris, who is a few years younger. She went on long term Hospice care with 6 to 9 months of expected life. She has heart and lung disease. Being a heavy smoker all her adult life hasn't made her healthy. I've always liked her a lot and am sorry I haven't been a better friend to her in recent years.

DH and I slept to almost 7:30 this morning, probably because it's a gloomy morning and the camper bedroom wasn't flooded with light.

LSU won the first playoff game with Florida last night after we had gone to bed. Looking forward to game two tonight. We have slacked off watching professional golf since the shocking announcement that the PGA was joining with the Saudi financed LIV golf group. It's our own little protest.

Happy Sunday to everyone.

• illinoislady
    Options

Mindfulness is being aware of yourself, others, and your surroundings in the moment.  When consciously and kindly focusing awareness on life as it unfolds minute by precious minute, you are better able to savor each experience.  Also, being closely attentive gives you the opportunity to change unwise or painful feelings and responses quickly.  In fact, being truly present in a mindful way is an excellent stress reducer and, because of that, can be seen as consciousness conditioning, a strengthening workout for body, mind, heart, and spirit.

Sue Patton Thoele

• illinoislady
    Options

Carole, I agree. It was a great entry from Taco. I found myself wondering about many aspects of different things for myself and how they might work. I have my hands full right now pretty much — but.

Nothing special planned today. Daughter Kate would like to go to Goodwill after Church so we will do that. I almost always go every Sunday anyway. The thing is that after all the advertised yard sales close on Saturday, often what is left gets put in a truck and taken to Goodwill. I find wonderful things sometimes, but I really do have to be very picky now. If I didn't already have them and saw them there I would buy them. I'm talking about the oversized salt and pepper shakers I found. Another time I found an oversized sugar bowl. I was annoyed for yrs. over the size of most 'shakers' as well as the sugar bowl. We don't use so much now, but we had a time where it went empty at least once a week.

I have collected great pans — Farberware, Cuisinart, Wolfgang Puck and Mirror to name a few — all nice and heavy that are easy to use and even easier to clean. So many that I had to give away my freezer and use that space to put in a stainless-steel shelf to hold all my kitchen pans. It works well and I am still delighted that I was able to find someone willing to take the freezer.

I am sorry to hear about your cousin Carole. The yrs. change all of us and our priorities. It is hindsight that makes us feel guilty but most of us would never dream of slighting someone but often are just following the path that comes before us as more persistent.

We have breezes again this morning. I love to look out and see the leaves dancing around. One can imagine they are having fun and 'enjoying' being able to dance a little, to wave at each other and even to enjoy the cooling air currents roaming around through them.

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

I’m trying to catch up. I still have the head cold hanging on, plus jet lag, so I’m super slow about everything and don’t care too much that I’m slow. This too shall pass… eventually. Birthday tomorrow as well as an orthopedic appointment. I also have to call after 5pm to see if I’m on the grand jury; I’m hoping not but will go as required. GYN appt Wednesday.

Illinois, great news from your dr visit! I think you’re taking on a lot to help with clean out of BIL place. I’d wear a mask if I were you, dust/dust mites can bother breathing. And I’d vote for hiring someone too if he can afford it.

Sandy your elbow issues from the fall must be doing ok, getting out for that dinner sounded fun. Loud but fun.

Mavericksmom my bc wasn’t seen on a mammo nor felt by multiple drs, including 2 surgeons. It was found on ultrasound.

Harley you’ll find your groove with retirement. Maybe act like your not retired and go about your normal summer activities, and before you know it you’ll have a routine.

Carole, I’m not sure if I read it here or on another post- re: your container plants surviving. I need to get out and buy plantings for the 3 front step pots, 2 railing pots on the deck, and something for a tall planter by the back door. Zero energy with near zero enthusiasm, I may buy those “pot fillers” - where 3-5 different plants are in one pot and you just stuff them into your pot.

It rained yesterday, may rain again today thru Thursday I think. Humidity is up, 77 and feels 81. A mix of sun & clouds. I’m spoiled by our Ireland weather which was perfect.

I’ve got gifts for others, and maybe for myself too, spread out on my dining room table. I’ve got to give them out asap, clutter drives me crazy (even gifts LOL). I’ve got to get moving, even if I don’t want to. Enjoy the day!

• illinoislady
    Options

Cindy, sure hope that cold releases for you very soon. Happy Birthday tomorrow. Hope it is super.

• cardplayer
    Options

I retired early on disability, so I was doing PT to resolve my physical issues. I kept in touch with friends (lunch) played poker with a group of friends monthly, and attended neighborhood book club. I also volunteered by writing short articles for a Gastroparesis organization for a couple of years and did some twitter Q&A chats with specials guests for them. It was fun to do the research and kept my mind sharp. When we moved, I met other retired ladies in our neighborhood. We played canasta and Rummikub weekly until the pandemic. We still meets monthly and we text daily.

Harley - I hope you find enjoyment in your retirement.

Carole - the farmers market sounds lots of fun. We usually find one when we’re at the beach and I always enjoy looking for some hidden treasures and fresh produce. Best of luck to LSU tonight. Sorry to hear about your cousin.

Sorry you’re dealing with a cold Cindy. I hope you recover in time to have a nice birthday celebration.

Illinois - I have never been to our Goodwill here. It’s quite large though, situated in what use to be a grocery store. After hearing about what you’ve found, I think I should check it out sometime.

Mavericksmom - sorry to hear about your SIL illness and needing a feeding tube. There’s an organization called the Oley Foundation that provides information and advocacy for people with feeding tubes. Their website is oley.org. Might be something of interest to your SIL.

Thinking of you Mary as you get close to your surgery date.

Another sunny, humid day with possible thunderstorms later this afternoon. We walked early this morning, did our grocery shopping and are relaxing. Have a stress free and healthy day.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Many thanks to all and especially Taco for the wisdom and support offered on retirement. I don’t regret retiring and expect I will find a new routine as I go along. I find exercise is very beneficial for my mood and plan to continue.

I have a day trip planned to visit brother #1 this week. He lives 3 hours away so I don’t see him as often as I would like, but talk to him weekly. I also have a meeting on Wednesday with the volunteer coordinator for a county wide non-profit. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can be of service in some manner. Later in July we have a 2 day trip planned to Wisconsin which includes visiting with one of my BIL’s. We’ll also be getting together with a group of college friends in late July.

This fall I may take a Spanish class at the local community college in preparation for a bucket list three week trip to South America next February.
    Hope everyone has a great week.

• illinoislady
    Options

Harley, you likely will fall into place like the majority here. Retirement will give you more time for the good (maybe even a couple of greats in there) that if you did while working would have to probably be sandwiched in between. You can do things that give you joy or satisfaction un-rushed as it were.

I have a major confession, ladies. I found two more great pans at Goodwill. One a Farberware and one Cuisinart. They both had lids. It was the lids that did it. Many of my pans have universal lids. Those were less than $10.00. That helped as well. I have become a total push-over for our 'kitchen' section at Goodwill.

• chisandy
    edited June 2023
    Options

Harley, hope you find a way to enjoy retirement. For me, it was a release from the responsibility for the legal aspects of clients' lives. Only wish we could travel more—not until December, when Bob's only work will be for Union Health—no office practice or hospital duty, and no long commutes down to the SW Side & 'burbs, just the Near West Side Medical District, where he began his training 45 years ago next week, and Gordy was born almost 39 years ago.

Carole, my mom was on home hospice the last 7 months of her life (they were going to kick her off it after 6) due to advanced "cor pulmonale:" right-sided heart failure caused by COPD, which is what it sounds like your cousin has. My condolences.

My elbow still hurts if I stress it (press hard with my R arm or hand at certain angles), but less than it did last week. The finger numbness is fading too. The ortho warned me full healing could take 2 months.

The Pride Parade did happen, occasional showers notwithstanding. Watched it on TV. We got some good soaking rain last night, but the wind did loosen one of the siding boards on our garage. I'd be so tempted to build a new garage, with EV charging capacity—had I not spent an arm & a leg on running a new electrical line out to it in 2020 (after 2 yrs. of locating the short and digging & re-digging the trench across my yard for it). It shorted out so often in the rain that it was always a crapshoot whether the opener would work—and required a lot of strength to work the door when it didn't.

Why am I thinking about an EV less than a year after Bob replaced his old Fusion Hybrid with a Tucson Hybrid, and my 2014 Outback has only 45K miles on it and runs just fine? Suddenly its infotainment system has gone seriously blooey: while driving the screen goes blank and the radio dies (and along with it, handsfree phone capability). Sometimes it starts with a loud sharp "POP." Half the time it reboots itself (but often conks out again), the other half the time I have to pull over, stop the engine & restart in order to reboot it. And even when it does reboot, I have to keep restoring my map & display settings and turn the radio back on. It happened a couple of times last year; then a couple more times earlier this month; and yesterday every few minutes! I know that I can't find an aftermarket head unit with nav. to replace it. Its nav system is obsolete and map updates are no longer available for purchase. (Which is why I now have to put my phone in a vent clip and have Siri do the navigating).

I went online to both Subaru's site and user forums, and e-mailed my dealership. It happens at random—the service tech could drive around and not have it happen, then after I leave the shop it would likely happen again. I'm not sure if it's the head unit itself, an aging deteriorating microchip (or two), a fuse, or the software. And it's not likely there are software updates for a system that old. I'd hate to have to buy a new car, but in this day & age I can't justify buying a strictly-internal-combustion-engine one: it'd have to be a hybrid (or better yet, plug-in hybrid) or EV. And Subaru no longer makes regular hybrids (nor at least, according to the dealership, sells now-old-stock or used ones anywhere but CA or MA, and there are no Subaru service techs in IL trained to work on hybrids). It doesn't offer a plug-in hybrid; and its EV, the Solterra, isn't available here yet—and I suspect, won't be for a few years. Besides, with 115V service in my garage, it'd take >24 hrs to fully-charge; and it may not have the new industry-std. Tesla-compatible plug to take advantage of quick-charging stations. And of course, a pure EV would be wildly impractical for long-distance driving, like I occasionally have to do to perform in WI or downstate.

(BTW, rental companies, especially Hertz, will palm off an EV on you unless you specify a gas or hybrid engine. 25% of its fleet is pure-EV. And you can't rent anything but an EV at Midway Airport. Not a problem if you're staying at a hotel or vacation-rental with a charger, and just tooling about town or to nearby suburbs. But one reporter got stuck with an EV at LGA—he'd sprung for the bargain "manager's special," expecting a barebones cheapo econo-box but got a Chevy Bolt instead. He'd planned a trip upstate—but when he got out of the Lincoln Tunnel the dashboard informed him he had only 20 mi. of range remaining; he had to cut in front of a large truck at a Sheetz station to use the only unoccupied charger, and it took him an hour of sitting inside eating bad fast food and scrolling on his phone before he could continue his journey. And while charging is cheaper than gas, it's not free, unless you find one of the only two chargers at a Whole Foods parking lot, in which case you get only 30 min. max; or you are a Tesla owner and you're using one of the Tesla chargers inside the 900 N. Michigan Ave. garage).