Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275
    edited July 2023

illinois, good to read you are doing well and especially with your BP numbers! Woohoo!!!! Also, thank you for the beautiful quote today. I needed those words!

Carole, 🙋‍♀️ My hand is raised because I too would LOVE to see photos of you DH's beautiful bowls!!! Fantastic that he can create such beautiful objects! He is lucky to have that talent! I would not want to think of what kind of bowl I could make, but if similar to how I draw, well, let's just say my 7 yr old DGD can draw SO much better than I can!

Cindy, at least you didn't get scammed by your rental as one of my close relatives recently did. I too think the owner should refund something due to the inconveniences you experienced. I know I would have, but then again, I would have changed the batteries every so many months prior to when I expected them to "squalk."

Chris, awesome that you are doing so well! You remind me of one of my former neighbors who we called "the energizer bunny!" So glad Tippy is with you! I am waiting a bit, but I think we will get a small rescue pup in the near future. I do miss that companionship and the snuggling! Animals really sense our needs.

Sandy, glad to hear you are feeling better, but sorry to read about your jaw bone! Yikes, you surely deserve a break from all things health!

Betrayal, I keep forgetting to ask if you knew a Juanita Watson from University of Pennsylvania Nursing?

I am less stressed about my bone scan tomorrow and honestly feel I will have negative results for mets. I am glad to have it done, so I can focus on finding out what really is going on with me. Everything I think might me the cause of my issues is nowhere near as frightening as cancer.

DH saw his cardiologist this morning and all is good. He is having US to check his carotid arteries in Sept, but his heart seems really good and the doctor thinks his balance issues all have to do with his ears. He sees the ENT at the end of August. As of now neither of us have any health related appointments from Oct to the end of the year and I would REALLY like to keep it that way!

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051

Too bad your host did offer to compensate you for some of your inconveniences Cindy. Glad you had a nice vacation and arrived home safely.

Glad your recovery has gone well Chris.

Carole - sounds like the wedding was fun, but not music that you enjoyed. Would also like to see some of the bowls. They sound lovely.

Illinois - glad that most of the work at BIL home is done. I hope health is okay. Hard to take care of two homes.

Mavericksmom - glad you have the scan tomorrow. Sorry you haven’t been feeling very well. Happy that DH had a good cardiologist checkup.

Sorry if I’ve forgotten anyone. I hope everyone is doing well.

My hydrangeas have taken a beating this summer. I guess the deer found them very tasty. We have some blooms, but nothing compared to past years. And one of our azaleas isn’t looking healthy. Need to see if it’s under warranty. We’ve had a beautiful day. Started out with cool temperatures this morning and never got past 78. We have a nice breeze and have the windows open.

Busy day today. After our walk this morning, I did some cleaning until lunch. Then went to see the podiatrist. The inserts she recommended weren’t comfortable, so after about 3 weeks of trying, I stopped trying to wear them. My plantar fasciitis isn’t horrible but she did give me a prescription for PT. I’ll probably start icing after my walks to see if that helps. If not, I’ll discuss doing PT with my therapist after I’ve completed my PT for my back. One body part at a time.

Have a wonderful evening.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 290

Haley - I think today's quote was for you. You should feel good about your pantry work. Clients will sense it and feel special too.

MM - holding you close. Hope the scan goes well.

It's amazing how often we forget to "sightsee" in our local city. I know we do. My dad loved to be a tour guide and we saw more of AZ when we visited than we have since we moved here - and we moved here 25 years ago.

When Ken takes his morning walk at 6:30 it's already 90! But it's a dry heat…Still no rain here although there's been some in surrounding areas. I shudder to think what the electric bill will be. We talked about solar when we first moved to this house but didn't think we would be here long enough to make it worth it. Might not have but I wish we had.

Latest "crisis" is that there is a leak in his AC and the freon drains out. He sees his ortho about his back and shoulder tomorrow and after he gets some dates for that, maybe he will agree to get it in and we'll manage with one car.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,302

I saw my ENT today about the swollen salivary gland I’ve had since the tooth extraction. He’s scheduled me for a CT scan with contrast on 8/18. He didn’t think it’s a stone because saliva is flowing; he’s leaning towards a cyst, but wants CT scan to rule out a tumor. SO you know I can’t keep my tongue away from it tonight!

PT this morning, he is leaning towards a disk issue for my neck pain. I see the orthopedic office next week for a follow up. She mentioned possible MRI of my neck. I still have PT on Wed & Friday this week. I’m sick of the pain, I’d just like it to go away.

My mother was 100% Irish and she would have said: if it’s not your ass, it’s your elbow. Meaning it’s always something. And boy is it.

Refrigerator was delivered today. At first they said they couldn’t get the old one out of my house. I was here when it came in, so I know it could get out. They had the doors off but also had to remove the bottom door supports. They got the new one in and all set up but because it sat in the sun he recommended we wait a 1/2 hour or more to remove the plastic covering. We waited hours and boy was that stuff a pain getting off. But it’s done, we love the new one; seems like more space and definitely brighter with what I think are LED lights. We got to put the house back together, somewhat. It was a big sigh of relief. I stress with clutter taking up my space when it can’t be put back in it’s space. Our traveling didn’t help. There are still things out on my dining room table that are for other people.

I did get to throw away a lot of unnecessary items and it’s garbage night to boot. Win-win.

It’s cool out tonight, only 61. I’ve got my big fuzzy robe on. It feels like a September night. Enjoy the night!

• cardplayer
    edited August 2023

Happy August 1st. Today marks the beginning of Gastroparesis Awareness Month. I was diagnosed 11 years after having symptoms for several months. I was lucky that my GI immediately suspected Gastroparesis, but ran several tests to rule other other conditions. Here’s a link to learn more about the condition. https://aboutgastroparesis.org/what-is-gastroparesis/
    I’m celebrating with a stomach ache this morning. 🤢

Woke up to 58 degrees. It’s an absolutely stunning day. Beautiful blue sky and sunny. Sorry to those living in the hot south. It’s 9:30am and not even 70.

Taco - my FIL sounds like your Dad. When he moved to Cape Coral FL many years ago, he became familiar with the area and sites. When we visited, he’d show us places in the area and play tour guide.

Glad you got your new refrigerator setup Cindy. Sorry to hear you have some aches and pains. Hope PT helps.

Good luck with you scan today Mavericksmom.

Heading to REIKI shortly and then PT for my back this afternoon. Have a wonderful day.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,286

Good morning. We had a bad electrical storm last night and my computer was malfunctioning when I turned it on this morning. The power was off for about an hour. I finally got it working correctly. Today I am taking some donations to Hospice thrift store. I might go out for Taco Tuesday, but no special plans.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,861

What happens to us on the journey of life is not nearly as important as how we handle what happens. Life sometimes takes unexpected twists and turns that can throw us off course for a time. We may have experienced an unhappy childhood in a broken home or with parents who were alcoholics. We may have been considered the "black sheep," the one who just never fit in with the others. Almost anyone can find reasons for not doing as well as he or she thinks they should have. The key to successful living, however, is to learn from our experiences, good and bad, and go on from there. If we choose, we can try to move forward and forge the kind of life we desire to live in spite of some of the falls we may have taken.

John Marks Templeton Worldwide Laws of Life

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Fairly uneventful day here. Cloudy, slightly humid, temps in the high 70s. Was able to fill up at Costco for $3.94/gal., on average 30-40 cents cheaper than elsewhere in the neighborhood and a buck less than Near North & Lincoln Park.

Bob has an orthopedist appt. tomorrow morning, and I'm worried. He's been taking stairs more slowly and getting up from low seating with more difficulty. For months now he's been saying it was his knees, and about 6 months ago had cortisone shots. So yesterday I suggested that this time he get gel shots—and he admitted that it's not his knees for which he's seeking help. He can no longer carry heavy things up from his car because he now needs to hold on to both banisters even to ascend stairs. I asked if it was his balance, but he said it's because his feet feel heavy and his R ankle hurts. I realized he's been delaying and denying because he's afraid of what he's going to hear—whether it's a need for surgery or having to wear a boot, it will likely conflict with his ability to drive and therefore work.

He's also probably going to cut ties (or at least stop sharing office space) with the cardio who does his invasives and with whom he trades call. When he closed his own office, only his medical assistant came with him, and she (justifiably) doesn't want to do the scut paperwork like scanning & faxing. Trouble is, the other doc's staffers resent Bob and view him as an interloper and even though they do the paperwork for their boss they won't do it for Bob no matter how much he's willing to pay them. If he leaves that office, he leaves his south suburban hospitals behind too, doing only Union Health. If he can't drive, he can at least cab it down to the near West Side (actually, one block from where his Chicago medical career began, at UIC Hospital). Cabs aren't cheap, but Union Health pays well. No way I'll let him take CTA down there & back with a bum ankle (if it is only the ankle)—it's a 90 minute commute using 3 train lines. The only alternative is for me to be his chauffeur, just like when he started out 45 yrs. ago and didn't know how to drive. At 27, that wasn't so hard. At 72? Don't ask.

• mavericksmom

I had the bone scan yesterday. Good news, negative for metastasis! Woohoo! Unfortunately the day was long and difficult. It was a pain in the butt checking in at their "central registration." I had already done the check in online and still had to wait quite a while to go through the process. It seemed very inefficient. It is the first time I ever heard so many patients complaining as they were turned away. Not sure why they were turned away but I heard them grumbling out loud as they walked out the door! Not exactly the way I wanted to start a test I was already nervous about.

Then the tech refused to even try to get an IV in me, rightfully so, but waiting for radiology nurses to get an US machine to get the IV in only added to the stress. Those nurses were great, one man one woman, both super nice. I got my injection and then went home to wait the three hours. I just had a direct injection when I had the bone scan done the last time, no IV. I get it that they don't want any leaks of the tracer, but it seemed overly cautious to me and far more damaging using an IV for less than a few minutes of injection.

I don't remember the test being so difficult when I had it in 2018 at Fox Chase Cancer Center. I had to hold my arms different ways for short lengths of time but wow, did they ever hurt! I seriously thought I would never be able to move my arms again! I have a huge black and blue mark, bigger than my cell phone, where they put in the IV. Thankfully due to my lymphedema, I wear long sleeve shirts all year, so no one will see it.

So glad that is over, but I really don't want anything to do with doctors or medical tests anytime soon! Looking back, I wish I didn't have the test. I actually wish my MO had done a blood test rather than a bone scan. When I had cancer in 2003, my MO did tumor marker tests. The last two times I had cancer, no blood tests. It would have been better to just see what my tumor marker numbers were before further testing. I definitely put bone scan on my "not having it again" list along with MRI's an CT scans!

I have a routine echocardiogram scheduled at the end of the month. I really don't feel like having that done, but I will. I also have an appointment with my new PCP at the end of August, but right now I don't want to bring up any concerns. I don't want any more tests!!! Unfortunately, while my bone scan was normal, the pain is still there, and all I know is that it isn't from cancer. Ironically, nothing was abnormal in the bones that are bothering me. The only thing that was mentioned in the report was that there was "degenerative uptake in the knees and feet." Who doesn't have that? I am also not sure why they mention "there was no abnormal soft tissue uptake," why would there be?

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,128

MM, great news on no bone cancer. Sorry the testing was painful.

Sandy, best wishes for Bob. He's such a hard working guy.

It's already August.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,286

MM, good news on your test. Sorry it was so painful and disorganized.

Sandy, your DH sure is a hard worker. Does he plan to retire? My late DH had a PCP that worked until he was in his 90's, then sold the practice.

• illinoislady

Consider a jigsaw puzzle. Each piece has its place and no other piece can fit that place. . . . What is true for a puzzle is true for Reality, with one exception: there is no hand putting us in our place. We must do that for ourselves. We must discover our place and take it. And when we do this, we discover the integrity and meaning of the whole; we discover the divine energy that flows through all things and links each to the other and all to God.    -Rami M. Shapiro

• illinoislady

Good Morning. MM I am so glad that test is done and that it was NED for cancer. I just wish it hadn't been painful. I can understand not wanting to be test invaded now.

Sandy, I understand I think about the driving. I do the majority of driving here in our household. Being a chauffeur can be tiresome and interfere with other things that need doing at specified times, but I worry when I don't do it — about Dh and about the car so almost not worth it to me not to do it. Hope this can work out for you both. I'd be torn as well over wanting to keep working. Once you 'stop' your sense of worth and dedication changes and reconciling it all takes time and toll.

This will be another catch-up day. I ended up being quite lazy yesterday. Barely enough to get by and definitely needing to go to the store today. Need to go to bank too which I skipped yesterday. PCP called and I won't do the blood test and visit with her until Oct. now. Originally scheduled second and third Mondays this month.

Carole, I too was thinking, hmmmm, August already. The warmer months go so fast for me while the colder ones linger too long. I think in part, not so much because of the cold, but we do w/o nice bright sun more then.

Had the roof and siding washed a couple of days ago and the house is looking really good again. We need to replace our roof, and especially the area that was built on. The original part of the house (our house you may recall started out as a single wide mobile home and the guy build a house around it, then tore out the mobile home). He had already installed a metal roof on the mobile home part, but the other was regular roof shingles. This yr. for the first time we can recall the shingles filled up with moss. The roof that is metal is old and we need to redo it — so plan to cover the shingles with metal too. The metal is easy to clean and I think for the most part actually lasts a little longer. We have been here 20 yrs. now and no issues as yet with the metal.

Hope you all have a really good day.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 353

Sandy -sorry to hear about Bob’s health issues. I hope this can be remedied quickly so that he can resume normal activities. Retirement is a major life change especially when he has been working in a high stress career. He’s in a position of being of service to the community and I would imagine he will need to find something to fulfill that side of his life in retirement. Yet at the same time, he absolutely deserves time to relax (as do you).

MM - great news on the bone scan results. I hope they can find the source of the pain so it can be resolved.

Illinoislady - thank you for today’s quote; a good reminder that we are each unique and bring special qualities to life.

Cardplayer - your cooler weather sounds lovely. It’s only in the mid 80’s today here but still quite humid.

Not much new with me. Just getting stuff done around the house and reading. Went to yoga class this morning and then rode my bike almost 10 miles. Nice day for a ride. Hope to finish a book I’m reading titled “Walking with Sam”. It is a memoir of a father and son walking the 500 mile Camino Way across northern Spain. For some it is a pilgrimage to the cathedral of Santiago de Compastela, for others it is a mental and physical challenge to complete. I’ve always been fascinated by this trek and will never have the physical conditioning to attempt much less complete the hike. The book is an easy and enjoyable read.

Take care to all.

• cardplayer

Great news Mavericksmom. I’m sure getting the results were such a relief for you.

Sandy - sorry to hear about Bob’s aches and pains. I hope he’s able to see an orthopedic doctor soon to see what’s causing his issue. Sorry to hear his office situation is troublesome. I hope he gets it resolved.

Illinois - I think you deserved a day off or two for all the work you did at BIL home. Nice that you had a day of rest.

Carole - it’s hard to believe that it’s August here. It was 58 this morning. I’m sure we’ll be back to hot and humid soon though.

Harley - I’ll have to add the book you’re reading to my list. I’ve been pretty lazy about my reading, but need to get back into a good routine.

Had a nice lunch with DH, DB and SIL. We meet at a restaurant that’s about the same distance for each of us. They live about 80 miles away from us, closer to DC. We did a little celebration for SIL birthday, which was last week. Ordered strawberry shortcake and our server put a candle in it. I think SIL enjoyed it.

Hope everyone is doing well and has a wonderful rest of their day.

• mavericksmom

Cindy, August 18th is a long time to wait for a scan. Does it hurt? I laughed at the part where you said "of course I can't stop my tongue from touching it!" I can totally relate to that!

Sandy, so sorry to hear about Bob! I hope his orthopedic appointment went well! Not sure what is more stress, the ankle or the office move?

Illinois, so glad you are getting some "lazy" days, we all need that once in a while. You earned some down time after all the hours you worked on your BIL's house!

Harley, biking 10 miles is very impressive! I know I couldn't do that!

Cardplayer, your lunch sounds like it was perfect! Great food, great company, and who can resist strawberry shortcake???

• chisandy

Pam, yay for the negative bone scan! Those "degenerative changes" are commonly OA, and I wouldn't be surprised if the joint pain is "referred" to the bone. (Joints are the ends of bones anyway). The lack of soft-tissue uptake means they didn't find inflammation or lesions in tendons, ligaments, muscles or organs.

Bob's dx is tibio-talar (ankle) and Achilles tendinitis due to overpronation (his feet are even flatter than mine). The sportsmedicine ortho he saw wants him to try high-quality OTC orthotics in his sneakers (&/or get more supportive shoes) before consulting a podiatrist to be cast for prescription ones. I think I bought a pair for him at Costco that he's never worn—will look for them. She also recommends Superfeet (athletic shoe stores carry them) or FootChair (available online). The bottoms and the arch "posts" are hard plastic. The soft all-foam ones are too "mushy" at the arch. No boot necessary, so he can continue driving. But being a typical guy, he didn't mention the leg fatigue, knee pain, difficulty stair-climbing or getting up from a seated position.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,785

MM: Glad the bone scan was negative and you have that worry lifted from your shoulders. Sometimes it is hard to think that aches and pains can be anything but cancer, but nice to know it isn't in this instance.

Sandy: Bob is a typical guy when it comes to not providing all info when speaking to another MD but this is also characteristic of just about any MD I worked with. Hope he follows the directions to get OTC orthotics and that he does get some symptom relief. When is he planning on retiring?

DSIL and I tackled the big planting bed where I have the naturalized daffodils. It was covered with weeds that are hard to extract and have deep roots. Using a 4 pronged long handled garden tool, 3 hours later we had about half the bed cleared. Took yesterday off from gardening because knees were really sore. So today I tackled the other half of the bed which wasn't as weed covered. I had to be careful in this area to not dig up daffodil bulbs so I wasn't able to use the pronged tool. Spent another 2 hours but got most of the larger weeds and the bed looks good. Sprayed the residual poison ivy and DH trimmed back a wild rose bush. It needs more trimming but it looks better than it did.

The one area closest to the driveway is depressed because there used to be a huge oak tree at the juncture with the driveway. Whoever installed the first driveway cut the tree roots so the tree was half dead when we moved here and then the gypsy moths (remember them?) attacked what was left. We had it removed but had the stump cut to the ground (tree was over 100 years old by rings). As the roots have rotted over the last 30 years, the ground has continued to sink. Hopefully we are now at the point where sinking will stop. So plan is to fill the depression with a mix of top soil and peat moss so I can plant irises and ground cover to fill in where there are no daffodils or peonies. May add a dwarf hydrangea or 2 since it is a large area. There is periwinkle ground cover covering about 50% of the bed so I will transplant more to provide additional coverage. I am able to walk down the driveway with some discomfort but do not attempt to climb back up the hill. So DH and DSIL have been acting as "uber" transport for me to get up to the house.

DD and DSIL will be here for probably 6 weeks or more until they can move back into their house. They were told the charcoal filters need to be there for 3 weeks and they are still waiting for the insurance company to send them a check to cover replacing their heat pump/ac unit. Today DGS and DGD are visiting so they can attend a local carnival with DD and DSIL. Looks like they will be staying for a few days.

harley7: I am amazed you took a 10 mile bike ride after yoga.

Chris: glad to hear you are becoming more mobile.

Illinoislady: glad you are focusing on your home and catching up there. Hope BIL appreciated all you did for him and hope he is arranging for a cleaning service to cover in the future.

Carole: I would love to see your DH's bowls.

cindyny: Glad your new refrigerator was delivered. Sounds like you are getting things done at this home.

petite1: hope estate issues are being resolved. Do you have family plans for this weekend?

carplayer: your lunch with family sounds nice and I envy you the low temps. It has been hot and less humid but I would like cooler weather for working in the garden.

May tackle painting a butterfly outdoor ornament tomorrow. I'll head to Michael's to see if they have paint for metal outdoor objects. I want to use sponges to apply the paint so it can be dabbed on. Maybe I can get GC involved.

Hope everyone had a great day today and an even better one tomorrow.

• cindyny

Carole our temps at night have been mid 50’s. I woke up at 5:10 AM with a Charlie horse. I’m not sure if it was because the cold air blasting my legs - window open, fan in next bedroom facing out sucking all cold air in on me. I’ll take magnesium tonight to cover all bases.

Sandy, Bobs no different then most men. My orthotics for my flat pancake feet are done by a c-ped, certified pedorthist- I call him the foot guy. He does orthotics for some professional sports teams and most of our local college teams. If you can, find out who does them for the sports teams near you. I pay about $500 for custom orthotics from him; my insurances doesn’t cover them. It is a lot out of pocket, but they truly make a difference.

MM - great news! I can relate to bruised arms. I went today for bloodwork and she couldn’t get any blood out of my left arm, as she moved the needle all around. Then she moved to my right arm. I may have matching bruises left & right.

Jackie, I have a dark green metal roof on my detached garage. The guys said it will outlast the garage.

Harley, I have heard of that book, Walking With Sam. I saw an interview with Andrew McCarthy, I can’t remember where but it was before all the strikes (and the repeats) and could have been on late night. I’ll add it to my reading list.

Betrayal, gypsy moths are a bad Cape Cod memory. They told us the caterpillar won’t eat pines, it would be a last resort. We’ll we had rented 2 camping spots (god we were young then!) in the pines and the gypsy moth caterpillars were eating the them! It was so gross, like being in yellow rain - I’m assuming “poop” from said caterpillars. It’s making me laugh just thinking about it.

Days have been sunny & beautiful with no humidity, 77 high and mid 50’s at night. Rain maybe here tomorrow late. We’ve got a 70th birthday party tomorrow at a state park that should be very nice. Evening plans with another couple to go to a comedy club to listen to an Irish comedian.

Tonight I used my newest robot vacuum. In FL I have a Roomba iRobot that I love. My recent buy was on Prime day at a good price and it’s a Shark. After spending time picking up everything in its way in 4 rooms, I discovered I had docked it wrong and the battery was empty. I had to laugh, operator error. So I got it on the dock correctly and let it charge. It cleaned fine but it’s not programmable and moves around randomly, so I’ve got vacuum marks all over the carpet. LOL It looks funny but it did the job!

• chisandy

Bob is already semi-retired, in that he has given up his own office (and his medical partner retired) in Hickory Hills, and is usually home for dinner by 8 pm or so. He's spending much less time on the S. Side and in his hospitals these days; right now his practice is basically a corporation of one (himself), but with much lower overhead. His recently-retired partner gets only her share of the receivables as they come in, and he has only one staffer; so he gets to keep a much larger share of the Union Health salary (which he used to have to plow back to his practice, supporting two nurses, an echo tech and a secretary as well as office rent).

As far as complete retirement, I think he wants to work at least part-time until he physically can no longer do so. Most of his "retired" colleagues these days are either still part-timers or too ill to work. (In fact, two of them have become his own patients). I can't see him sitting home all day drinking & binge-watching streaming series. He definitely wants to travel, though he must plan at least 3 months ahead—Union Health's rules. We're going to Vegas in early Oct. for our annual timeshare; and I get to pick where to go in Dec. He definitely wants another Viking cruise in 2024—either eastern Mediterranean in winter, Scandinavian ports of call in summer, or a river cruise we haven't taken (including a side trip to Prague). Of course, if COVID reappears at the rate it did last fall & winter (there's a slight uptick right now), so much for the cruise.

• illinoislady

As I look back at the entire tapestry of my life, I can see from the perspective of the present moment that every aspect of my life was necessary and perfect.  Each step eventually led to a higher place, even though these steps often felt like obstacles or painful experiences.

Wayne Dyer

• illinoislady

How nice to have a big flower bed weeded. You sound as if you are pacing yourself well which is likely a bit easier with your 'good' help. Sounds as well like your depressed area is going to end up in fine shape as well. Yards are such a project. We will bring home the Gravely zero-turn mower from BIL's as no one uses it. It is in overall pretty good shape (standard maintenance needed) since it has sat un-used for about 4 &1/2 yrs. now. He was going to sell it, when another BIL couldn't take it and I said what???? Your other brother and I have been over here for days taking care of your house and your move. Enough said. So, a little something for our efforts.

Cindy, wonderful temps. I hope they continue. Good to hear about that metal roof. Maybe we can let the old one (now nice and clean) just hang and we will just do the couple of extra rooms that have the old shingles on them. Never heard or could figure why the owner had mental on part of the house and not all of it. Different timing, I guess.

I agree about the men Sandy. Most seem to be timid about being house bound after retirement, almost as much as we dread having to deal with them underfoot. Some of the eternal enigmas of retirement age living. Hope you will be able to travel (Covid is still an issue), but I think another strain injection may be coming and hopefully you can get it beforehand.

More catch-up today. I pooped out after supper last night and couldn't seem to regulate my blood pressure for my last heart pill so finally just gave up and went to bed. Hopefully will be fine tonight. I also, due to much cooler temps. made a big meatloaf for supper. First time since summer started. Everyone was happy about it.

Hope you all have a good day, safe and well and not too warm.

• cardplayer

I wish the deer would leave my hydrangeas alone. They’ve really made a mess of them this year. I noticed this morning that they’ve started to eat the blooms. At least I can enjoy the crape myrtles that have started to bloom. We have two in the yard. Our deck plants are doing well, except for our Hibiscus. We put it in a smaller pot this year and it hasn’t done as well.

Sandy - I didn’t do well with inserts for my plantar fasciitis. My PT said they could make an insert for less that my podiatrist. My insurance doesn’t cover the cost. I need to complete PT for my back first, the start on my foot PT. Hope Bob finds a good solution to his pain. When you get to Vegas, you can check out the MSG Sphere. They may even offer concerts there by October.

Illinois- nice that you got a lawn mower from BIL. Hope you get you BP under control.

Another comfortable day, though not as cool to start. Definitely not our usual August. I expect we’ll see warmer temperatures soon. DD, SIL and DGD are coming over Saturday. There is an outdoor giant Lego exhibit at the museum we’re going to go see and then go have lunch somewhere. It’ll be nice to spend time with them. DGD is almost 11 months now and crawling.

DH and I are going to a local music venue tomorrow evening. There’s two cover bands - music of Janis Joplin and the Doors. Both favorites of mine, so I’m looking for to hearing them.

Have a wonderful evening.

• chisandy
    edited August 2023

It's not ONJ!!! The oral surgeon says there's no bone visible, and the lesion caused by that piece of bacon is healing nicely. He wants to see me again in 4 weeks—if it's healed by then, I can resume Prolia. Here's a piece of info for you who are on Prolia: he says that the most vulnerable time period for your jawbone and the overlying gum tissue is in the 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after the injection. My most recent shot was >6 months ago, and the bacon-stabbing incident occurred >2 weeks ago. The bone spur (exostosis, which the nurse called an "exie," as they see lots of them) is harmless—and likely congenital. He says there's one on the lower jaw too, which I never noticed.

I am fully over my strep throat & tonsillitis. The surgeon's resident said that tonsillectomies always leave a tiny bit of residual tissue, which can regrow in adulthood to its childhood size. As they serve a purpose (filtering out pathogens), standard-of-care is to leave them in place unless they are extremely painful, purulent or interfere with breathing or swallowing. (Sorry for the graphic description, around dinner time).

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 940

Great news on the jaw and healing Sandy!

• cindyny

Sandy: Definitely good news on your jaw!

• mavericksmom

Sandy, definitely good news about your jaw!!! Always feels so good to read good news! I also hope your DH is able to get what he needs to feel better!

I think doctors have one of the few professions where they can continue to work long after most people retire. I would definitely tell people to work as long as they are able and want to!

Dreary day today. My DH's sisters and brother will arrive late Monday. I wish I felt more enthusiastic about their visit, but I don't. I am not in the mood to have company, mostly because that requires entertaining people and that is the last thing I feel like doing right now. But, as they say, "suck it up, buttercup," and I will.

What I would really like is a week or two at home alone. I am not trying to be mean to my DH, but being around him 24/7 except for shopping and my own doctor visits, is draining. Taking away our home office, and making it into his bedroom was definitely the right thing to do, but it took away my only sanctuary. Typing this while he sits in his recliner only 6 feet or so away, doesn't feel right. I always needed "alone time" and now I don't get any of that at home. I admit, I have stayed in the bathroom longer just to collect my thoughts! I guess that is another reason to join the gym, riding a bike, earbuds in, listening to my music, yep, sounds like a plan! I guess I should put signing up at the gym on top of today's to-do list!

• illinoislady

Learn to get in touch with silence within yourself, and know that everything in this life has purpose.  There are no mistakes, no coincidences; all events are blessings given to us to learn from.

Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross

• cardplayer

Great news about your jaw Sandy. So glad it’s not ONJ.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,128

I never did look up ONJ but surmised that it's very bad so I'm glad you don't have it, Sandy. I admire Bob from the picture you've painted of him.

MM, there must be a place in your house where you can create your own private space. What about your bedroom? Is there room for a comfortable chair and reading lamp?

DH and I took care of a job that needed doing this morning. Weeding the small gravel playground. I was wet with perspiration by the time we finished. I inherited the heavy perspiring from my father. We had quite a pile of weeds by the time we finished.