Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,548
    Options

Good afternoon. What a fantastic day. Sunny and 70 degrees. Always worry about how long the good temps. may last this time of yr. but they are so appreciated when they come.

Enjoyed the trip to Goodwill this morning after breakfast. We are going to have to go 'earlier' more often. It wasn't crowded at all. Some may be due in part to the now and then seemingly random change in items costing more. I likely should be ashamed of myself since basically everything is a bargain price for the most part anyway. We did come home with three puzzles. There were actually more, but there are some I just refuse to even consider. Maybe too many pieces or it is too 'artsy' to suit. Amazingly I actually felt some slight temptation over one that had as a theme the covid run on toilet paper. That is essentially all it was, rolls of toilet paper. In the end though figured we spend enough time trying to find the correct piece when there are hints by item, color or whatever.

I had everything done here of the morning chores before we went so came home to have a nap only to find I couldn't quite get calm enough so here I am.

I loved the pictures Cindy. The first and last the best. I immediately noticed your author's beautiful ring on his middle finger. He does sound like an interesting writer.

I have nothing much planned, just odds and ends for the rest of the day. Made some tuna fish salad yesterday so have lunch already to go. Likely will cook some chicken for supper.

Hope you are all going to have a really good day. Saying a big sunny hi to all.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 257
    Options

Harley - wondered why we hadn't heard from you. Sounds like a great trip. Great pics.

Betrayal - Medicare doesn't cover it but I have found relief from acupuncture for my arthritic knees and wrists. With all your surgical complications, perhaps you should look into it. This recovery has sounded awful. Don't try to do too much too soon. My orthopodist has also recommended plasma replacement therapy when the acupuncture no longer works. Medicare and my supplement will cover that.

Jackie - I've especially the quotes from the last couple days.

Unusually busy weekend for us. Dinner guests Friday and at our usual friend's on Sat. Today I did an extra "Ella run" as she had been at some kind of special training weekend. Her Mom was with her yesterday and she spent the night at a skating friend's but I picked her up at 1:00. Maureen is a nurse - not only works 12 hour shifts at the hospital but some in-home transfusions. She graciously bought lunch for Ella and me at Panera on our way home. Since I had rushed back from golf to get her, it was a treat for me too.

Spent last week sorting through piles of genealogy papers. Put most of them in the recycling bin after reference checking. Hope I can push myself to tackle a few more cupboards and my bookcase this week although my monthly meetings seem to cluster early in the month.

We've had a couple weeks of really nice golf weather although today was colder and windier than it's been. Hope it's nice this week as we have our member/guest event on Thurs.

Hope everyone that is "ailing" is getting stronger and the rest of you and your love ones stay well.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

Betrayal - London, maybe 1991 …my cousin was living in Brussels, Belgium. She used her airline points to fly me over to Frankfort, Germany. We toured Brussels, on in to Calais, France, and took a ferry over to England. We too were in Covent Gardens when we stumbled upon a play, and were able to get 2 tickets. I remember it being very steep and narrow. When you mentioned Covent Gardens it triggered a good memory.

Our guests are staying another day, now leaving on Tuesday. Maybe. LOL I’m just rolling with it but feel very unmoored with a 3 day stay being extended again and again.

We all went to a driveway party tonight. Neighbors husband turned 65 today and it’s his official retirement date too. Lots of good food, good company, and home by 9. The cake was homemade by his wife with multiple layers, with strawberry filling between layers - beautiful.

Weather started out with drizzle and turned into a gorgeous day. Hoping tomorrow is as nice.

• illinoislady
    Options

I intend to go on with my life by living it, not by buying
    into some notion that I no longer have the potential to
    become still better.  I refuse to take seriously society's
    idea that at the arbitrary age of 65 I am
    suddenly a lamp going out.

Roger S. Mills

• illinoislady
    Options

The day is starting out cloudy but the temp on my computer said it was 61 degrees out. It feels cool in the house. I have a couple of long sleeved shirts, but I may go find a sweatshirt since the house tends to stay on the cooler side — even when sunny.

I went back to enjoy the Penguin pictures again. Don't know why, but I've always adored penguins — just something in their nature seems to stand out to me that they are very loving and nurturing. So glad you shared them Harley. Likely today won't be my last look either.

Cindy, you are wonderful being so accommodating to your not quite ready to leave guests whose original intent was only three times. Hopefully soon you will have your time totally back to call your own and only need to entertain yourself.

Sure hope to hear something about my computer soon. Dh has been so gracious, but I haven't been able to do all I'd like too up to and including un-subs that I want to do. I don't need all the mail I get on the computer and do from time to time get spam and other un-solicited materials. I'd like to do some 'house' cleaning there as well as that I'm doing in my home. I'd have more time all around if I didn't wade through so much on the computer all the time.

Today, and for some time now I would have to say I don't feel the age the calendar says I am which is 78. I don't feel the energetic exuberance of several yrs. ago, but it is still there, only in a much milder form. In fact, really I never settled down much until the mitral valve upset came along. I guess I'm starting to be okay with a slower lifestyle and it does in many ways feel good not to feel like I have to keep up with my former abilities and style. This too, where I am now is doable and I can make it comfortable. Dh is 83, bent over and is much slower too. I still have to wait on him a bit, but I am 6 yrs. younger. I do worry as he often struggles to remember words and sometimes I need to correct his memory, but some of it is just the differences we have always had which has kept life interesting. I'm really feeling okay about it all lately and that is good.

Hope you all have a good day, good news, good energies good meals and good healing.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,159
    Options

Oh my, I thought I would get back here before the page changed but I didn't! Hope I can remember things because I don't have time to go back right now.

Cindy, I think it was you that had the picture of the author? My DH and I love the TV show Tracker! So far, very interesting! We record it so will watch last night's show tonight.

Harley, welcome back and your picture of the penguins was awesome! So glad you had a wonderful trip!

Jackie, my DH is 83 too, but I am 13 years younger. His mind is ok, but walking is difficult for him. Today we went to Home Depot to get a new storm door and he was painfully slow moving through the store. Still, it is important for him to get out and about for both his physical and mental health, so I try to grin and bear it! I admit, it's hard to do sometimes, but worth it.

Today was a lucky day, at least it felt that way. I thought we would owe taxes and it turned out we are getting quite a bit back! Better that than expect a refund and have to pay! We were planning on getting the new storm door for quite some time, but knowing we will be getting a refund made parting with our money so much easier! Funny how time flies when replacing things on the house! Our current storm door was bought many more years ago than I thought, it certainly doesn't owe us anything!

Today was warm and sunny, but the next 3-4 days will be dreary with rain! Does the calendar think it's April?

Betrayal, hope you are continuing to do well. I too want to try out your recipe! I copied it down right after I read it! Thank you! I think as we age the two words we appreciate are "quick and easy!"

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 857
    Options

Enjoying that Spring time comes to the Carolinas quicker than it did where we lived before. My Camilla (new plant to me) is blooming and I took my first bike ride of the season. Actually I haven't ridden in years and this was a bit experimental since I have a bad shoulder. All went well and I thoroughly enjoyed roaming the neighborhood, enjoying the breeze and the scenery.

Also got my mammogram scheduled for early May. Finally. I am 4 months overdue and could have gotten it slightly sooner at a location I didn't like as much. After 10 years I'm hoping/trusting all will be well. Always nervous-making no matter what.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Reader, beautiful flowers! Thanks for sharing! Wishing you the best with your mammogram!

I thought I would be so happy not needing mammograms anymore, due to not having breasts, but the anxiety is actually worse. Having mammograms is a way to detect cancer, now I have no testing what so ever, therefore if/when my cancer returns, it will be in the form of metastasis. I would give anything to have my real breasts back. My foobs are hideous! Be glad you can have a mammogram and most likely, some peace of mind afterwards!

I hope all who live in states with Primary Elections today will VOTE! Both parties have a CHOICE to vote for someone who is NOT an insurrectionist! Democracy is on the ballot, please do not take it for granted and exercise your right to vote! I am getting off my soap box now…………

• illinoislady
    Options

The best thing about this very minute is your ability to recognize the possibilities in it.  Any fool can count the seeds in an apple.  But only God can count the apples in a seed.  There is something in every problem that holds potential for something better.  Do you want a lifetime of happy right nows?  The little choice this moment to see the beauty in what appears ugly, frustrating, or disgraceful will change everything.    -Barbara Johnson

• illinoislady
    Options

Overcast today, but hopefully it won't rain. We can't be for sure this time of year. I'm going to take Dh to appt. for blood draw. It's that time of year for him, plus he was once again a bit deficient for salt. So unusual for us. I can't have salt, and he doesn't have enough. Anyway, he has really made use of the salt shaker lately. It is something I never even look at anymore. I'm sure it hasn't helped that he eats a lot of my no-salt cooking and hasn't bothered to include more salt for himself. I think some men are funny that way. Perhaps as well, like me (although I wasn't a big salt user before) he learned to enjoy the taste of food with its being altered too much with spices/salt.

We may run to Lowe's ourselves after the blood draw. Just for a small light we use over the washer and dryer. After several yrs. it has burned out. I hope they still make them. It is a round tube — not too large. Fingers crossed.

Nothing else of any import going on.

I love the pics of the camelias as well. They are a beautiful color. I'm looking for signs of spring in my yard here and there and while there is not much happening right at the moment we are at that time when just one night and day's time can make a difference. So, have to stay alert here. It can't come soon enough for me.

Hope you will all have a good day.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,881
    Options

We have cherry trees starting to bloom. Our first sign of spring. I'm hoping they don't get frozen. A low of 29F is expected. I'm so ready for spring.

• cindyny
    Options

Guests left about 3 pm yesterday. Bedding was an all day event. They had stripped the bed, put the sheets in the washer (even tried to stuff the comforter still in the duvet), didn’t turn it on, and then went to brunch. Upon returning he laid down on the bed to rest, no sheets nor pillow cases because they stripped the bed. Hence, I felt I had to wash the mattress pad too. Those of you that have listened to me, over time, whine about my stacked washer/dryer unit may recall it’s not real big. The mattress cover went through the dryer 2x to get rid of the dampness before it was dry.

As I whine again, in truth they were easy guests. I never prepared a meal, as I never knew when they were coming; nor leaving for that matter. I only ran my iRobot 2x: when we were all out together and when I knew they were at a play. I usually run it daily. I ran it late last night in guest bath & bedroom. I still need to scrub the bathroom and don’t feel like it. Those glass shower doors that we squeegee, most guests never do. I’ll have to get in there to clean it. Before switching out the tub to the walk in shower, it was an easy clean - shower curtain in the washer. Such is life

I walked yesterday, hot & humid. No walk today, just enjoying sitting on my couch with The NY Times puzzles on my phone, going thru email. Hair appointment at 3:30; groceries after that.

Jackie, it’s been a while waiting on your computer part. Hoping it shows up soon.

MM, partner and I watch Tracker too. Which was a surprise to me that he enjoyed it. We’re usually not on the same page re: tv shows.

Betrayal, I took a screen shot of your recipe. I may make it tonight.

Reader, beautiful plant. I love when things start blooming.

Partners special hibiscus, purchased from the Hibiscus Society; one from Lowe’s that grows somewhat well; and my azalea starting to bloom. They brighten even the gray days.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

I enjoyed seeing the picture of the penguins. It's quite a good photo. I wonder what there is about penguins that they charm so many people.

Jeffrey Deaver is one of my favorite crime fiction writers. I met him when he was starting his career, at a book fair in New Orleans where I had a table, too. I got a paperback that he had written, signed by him, but it's long gone. I don't collect books any more. (I can just imagine the expression on your face, Minus!) He's an excellent writer but I read only his stand alone books now since I got tired of the Lincoln Rhyme books. And I read exclusively on my Kindle. Or on my laptop or phone. Unlike a lot of people I don't like dealing with the printed books any more. Paperbacks were always a pain because the print extended too close to the spine of the book.

My get together with siblings on Saturday for noon meal went very well. We ended up with five of us and four spouses. The conversation steered clear of politics and was mostly about family memories. The meal was even nostalgic because I made a huge pot of chicken and flat dumplings, a dish that my mother made and we all liked a lot. I did all the prep on Friday so it took me only about a hour to assemble and simmer to doneness.

Meanwhile my pre-op is going along. I've had chest x-ray, labs and EKG and have an appointment with a cardiologist tomorrow. She's a woman and obviously Indian, judging from her unpronounceable name. It's an all woman medical group. My PCP recommended another group but the first open appointment was three weeks away and I want to get this surgery done asap.

I have four camellia trees in my yard that I planted years ago. They have been full of blooms this winter.

Glad that everyone is doing well or at least better.

Happy Tuesday to all.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Good Morning!

Wren, just the thought of cherry trees blossoming makes me happy!

Jackie, I hope you were able to get the light you wanted, also that the blood work for you DH came back better than the last time!

Sandy, I do hope you are traveling and aren't having health issues. You are missed!

Carole, glad you had a good meal with your siblings! Family is everything! Happy to hear you are moving right along with you pre-surgery testing. I agree, I always want surgeries done ASAP. Before you know it, it will have been six weeks since you had surgery. A friend said that to me last year when I was having my exchange surgery and it is so true! I can't believe it has been a full year now!

Cindy, sorry to read about all the work you had after your guests left, but glad you enjoyed their visit! BTW, I have the same bloom as your second photo, but the tree is indoors so it doesn't count as being a sign of spring. My daughter gave me the tree for Mother's Day several years ago and we brought it inside because it will not survive our PA climate. I do think this is the last year we will bring it inside though, it takes up so much room and drops leaves and dead blossoms a lot! I feel bad but it will eventually get way too big for our house anyway.

Betrayal, I hope you are continuing to do well in your recovery!

Shout out to Taco, Puffin, Reader and Petite!

DH and I are buying a new storm door. The contractor was just here to take measurements. We have needed a new one for years but kept putting it off. Now that I am feeling back to my normal self, projects that we put on hold due to my breast cancer, are finally getting done! Next will be a tub/shower conversion to a walk-in shower in our downstairs bathroom. I would also like a new vanity, mirror and towel/tp holders too, but can put those off a bit longer. I need to crunch the numbers. After that, a new roof and driveway are next in line followed by replacing windows. Houses just keep on "needing!"

Have a great day everyone!

• illinoislady
    Options

Your success and happiness lie in you.  External conditions are the accidents of life, its outer trappings.  The great, enduring realities are love of service.  Joy is the holy fire that keeps our purpose warm and our intelligence aglow.  Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulty.

Helen Keller

• illinoislady
    Options

Starting out pretty cloudy and grey again today. Only 45 degrees right now. It should warm up more. We did get some sun yesterday and I'm sure hoping today as well. We had a whole lot of wind through the night.

Glad you have your house back Cindy. Sounds like they tried to be helpful (stripping the bed, etc.) but a lot of guests don't know the nuances of how the household really works — as in stuffing too much in the washer. Also, un-doing the bed and then needing/wanting to use it again for a bit. Well, all's well that ends well. They were far from the worst guests and you have a good attitude so it worked out.

MM, I hear you about houses always in need. Changing out our shower to a 'better' walk-in is on our list. It is an older walk-in and you need to step up and into it. Not as much as stepping over the side of the tub but can't begin to tell you how many times I've scrapped the top of my foot getting in over the years. I don't expect that part to get better so we are going to have to fix that soon. Also we have had the same roof (which does indeed seem to be doing fine) on our house since we bought it 22 years ago. The majority of the roof is metal. Wish they had done the add on in metal too.

Such great 'flower' pics. I'll admit right now that I could spend hours going through pictures in anyone's household. I love looking at things that others choose to memorialize in a picture whether it is people, places, flowers, gardens, or just people.

Have nothing much on for today. Starting some bill paying a bit early since I don't have a lot on the list today.

Wren, I tried your "this is a business" statement just a few moments ago when I got one of "those" calls. I can tell them since before there is any talking there is an odd 'bloop' sound. So I broke into the lady talking to tell her and just waited. The phone on her end was promptly disconnected. Other statements I have made work, but this one was much more efficient and shorter — to the point quickly. Thanks. Think I'll keep using that from now on.

Carole, I love to read and love spending time in bookstores, but I've gotten fairly eclectic over time. I tend to go for the easy to read books like "Girl on the Train". I'm about half way through the sequel to "Gone With the Wind" and I don't think I can keep on with the massive repetition of much of the story line. I laid the book down some time ago and haven't been able to pick it back up again. Some things just can't improve I don't think. When I do get paperbacks nowadays they are in the form of almost book size. I don't need large print as it is too large for my comfort, but I do appreciate bigger books.

Saying hi to all not posting right now and hope you are all fine and just busy perhaps with pre-Spring lists and projects. Hoping health for all is improving well if needed and that all tests done go fine.

Betrayal, hope you are seeing progress. I think about you all the time.

You as well Chris, Puffin and Petite.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Weather here has been so changeable. Spring one day with full sun and warmer temps and then we descend back in to winter gloom with overcast skies, gray and damp. Takes a toll on my knees and then mobility.

Hoping at surgeon appointment on Friday that wound vac may be discontinued. Wound dressings will still have to continue since wound has only decreased in size but is still open with some drainage. Maybe I will be able to get back into street clothes finally. It's been 2 months since drainage started as of tomorrow so this has been long term issue. Edema persists but some days is less than the day before. Hoping for resolution of that as well. I see the cardiologist for first time this coming Monday.

Today I was seated at kitchen table and for the first time ever saw a male and female blue bird on on Japanese Maple. I have a suet cake hanging on a shepherd's hook outside the bay window. The male got on the suet cake first but he was hard to photograph. The female got on it later and I was able to get a good photo of her.

The upper one is the female and the lower one is the male. Colors in person were more vivid. Wonderful surprise for today and supposedly they represent hope. love, positivity and renewal. All of which I would welcome at this time. Spiritually they mean a loved one is checking in on you. I'm hoping it is my DF.

MM, house repairs are like dust; ever present and a given constant. Glad that you are able to replace the storm door and have a game plan for other things you would like to do. I create one every January as a word document and love being able to then draw a line through them as they are done. Some are more costly than others but I look at them as a long term investment in the future of my home. This year's focus appears to be on painting the garage interior and perhaps the dining room if I can ever decide on a color. Others on the list include organizing in the garage and tackling organization in some of the other rooms. I need to part with "stuff". I still have the topper from my wedding cake but plan to discard it after our 50th anniversary in 2025.

As far as reading, I had 2 Kindle models and never was able to adjust to reading from them. I like to physically hold a book and this has been a lifelong love since I was able to go to the town library to borrow books. I like the dusty smell of old books and the smell of ink on the newer ones. I have not done any reading other than the daily newspaper since my surgery and miss holding a book. Once I can move back into my bedroom, I will resume reading the stack of books I have awaiting me.

Cindyny, glad your guests tried to be considerate with stripping beds but they should have waited. Glad you did enjoy having the company though.

Illinoislady, did you find any treasures at Goodwill? I have a very old cast iron skillet seasoning in my oven. I don't know what ruined the seasoning on it but it had been stripped and I am trying to get it back to its original state. First attempt did not produce result I wanted so I will recoat and give it a second try. Hope you get your computer back soon.

Read somewhere that interior paint should be redone every 5 years. Well, I have failed that recommendation. Some of my rooms were repainted when they were doing the restoration work so they are newer. I do keep a log of all household repairs by room so I can tell you when and what type and color of paint have been applied in each room. This list includes flooring, fixtures, appliances, etc and makes my life easier when I need to replace, repair or update something. I just add new info and do not delete old info so I have a record.

Waving hello to Taco, Wren, Harvey, petite1 and any others I have forgotten. It has been nice to have your support. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Betrayal, beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,317
    Options

Fear not—I am not ill nor traveling, just busy with little things (akin to how a priest once described hearing nuns' confessions as "like being stoned to death with popcorn") and preoccupied with other little things. I am OK. Sorry for not staying updated with others' posts

Those flower pix (espec. hibiscus) are gorgeous. In summer, we put out pots of hibiscus on our front porch; if the spring continues to be warmer than normal, we may start that earlier.

Kids signed the lease on an apt. around the corner from them—they can see the deck from their current back yard. 3rd fl. walkup but they're young & strong (and maybe can rig up a pulley from the clothesline to carry groceries). Big deck, in-unit laundry, better kitchen appliances & storage. Rent not much higher, still below-mkt for the North Side. They can move in any time after Apr. 15. (OK to bring dog—new landlord is busy removing the previous tenants' dog's scent to avoid "territoriality" issues.

I have lost 21 lbs. thus far on Zepbound. (Not cheap, but worth every penny). Feeling pretty good, though I ache like crazy from Mon.'s PT upper-body strength training. Went to the CSO Sat. night to see Mendelssohn (Hebrides Overture), Schubert (6th) & Beethoven (7th) pieces. Walked like crazy, as we took the train both ways—too many people chasing too few taxis after the concert.

Got my updated COVID booster yesterday (first shot of that was in Sept.). Arm a bit sore, but no other side effects. That makes 8 shots thus far.

Because of uncertainties (not sure what will happen after Bob's deposition in May), our major travel plans are on hold. I decided against taking the CLE trip to Mexico at the end of this month: I'm lukewarm about the location, and it will likely coincide with an increase in my Zepbound dose; Mexican food, even epicurean, doesn't sound feasible for my newly-adjusting gut. So our next trip will be Apr.7-9, to Cleveland—to see the eclipse and visit the R&R Hall of Fame (which we haven't done since Gordy's early teen years). Got our eclipse glasses and iPhone lens filters. We'd rather have gone to Indy, but the only available hotels insist on a 5-day stay—and Bob's pushing it with a 3-day absence as it is. He is now the only cardiologist at his clinic.

We will see Dune Pt II tonight—which will test the limits of my bladder and attention span. (Wasn't wild abt. Part I). Getting tired of flicks >3hrs long that we can't put on "pause" to go to the bathroom or answer pages. Not looking forward to either another train ride or $21 parking.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Hi, all. I have been busy with doctor visits. I had my 6 month with MO for labs and Prolia injection. Labs are normal. The Dermatologist found a spot to biopsy, so waiting on results. Midnight Louie (the cat) and i have birthdays this month. I have been celebrating all week.

Betrayal. Talking about cast iron skillets, I found a recipe to bake Irish soda bread in one. I am going to try it.

Harley, your trip sounds amazing.

I loved the flower pictures!

My family is coming this weekend. I am looking forward to the visit.

• illinoislady
    Options

If we keep this question in mind while planning our days, we will
    see that we actually have countless opportunities to add to our
    life force.  Being around people and places we love and doing
    things that give us deep satisfaction, taking time to digest the
    events in our lives, being less busy, telling the truth, laughing
    a lot, eating right, exercising regularly, having long talks with
    those we love--these are among the best ways to nourish our
    vitality.  Our life force thrives when we are
    completely engaged in the present moment.

Debbie Ford

• illinoislady
    Options

First — so good to hear from you Sandy. In our ahem' slightly older age it is easy to 'wonder' and 'worry' a bit when someone is absent for a bit longer than what seems 'normal'. We do often get sucked into life details that can be annoying and time consuming. Just glad you are okay. The wt. loss sounds like it is going well for you. That is good.

It is overcast this morning with the chance of rain. Not thrilled, but I'm trying to be grateful for my day and a bit more energy. It does seem often that some of my previous pre-radiation energy is trying to find its way home — so I try to stay a bit more cheerful no matter what the weather. As mentioned — always iffy now anyway.

Love the bird pictures. They are reminiscent of our state bird here, the Cardinal. The males. are a deep, rich, beautiful red, but the females look in comparison almost something of a dusty orange on the chest area. Quite a difference. The male and female usually stay relatively close to each other. Good mates I guess you would say.

Betrayal, here hoping that next Dr's visit goes well for you. Two months, such a long time to deal with your drainage issues, but for other things wouldn't have been so long. I think the large number of life restrictions that came along with it made it even more difficult. You have great endurance skills. I do hope you are at or even slightly past the corner and that a rapid increase in health will prevail.

All we found last trip to Goodwill was the three new puzzles. We have done one already. Only 750 pieces and they were smaller. Had a lot of those pieces as well that don't set in well until you find the 'next' piece that actually anchors its neighbor. We do seem to be getting back into the 'rhythm' of the past-time.

Have nothing planned today. My computer hard drive was due to be in by yesterday, but still haven't heard. If the part had come in Tony would have, I'm sure, if at all possible, got it in and called me. He is well aware it has been a long month of waiting. So, I'm full of hope that it does turn up now. I may stop in and check since we will have to make a trip to where — Walmart, of course. Since it is just across town from us I don't stock up on much anymore. Even when I did it always seemed something was forgotten, and we would return the next day for that.

Good to hear from you too, Petite. Glad your medical visit went well. Hope your biopsy is negative. It is good though that your Dr. keeps an eye on these things.

Happy Birthday to both you and Midnight Louie. I think long celebrations are in right now. Good for both of you.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 950
    Options

I've been busy getting ready for my next cruise, leave Friday next week. Have my clothes picked out, sorted into categories and am ready to fold them into zippered bags to go into the suitcase. I've even decided what clothes I'll wear when. This is the free cruise I got because my cruise roommate bought so much art on one of our cruises that the art gallery gave her a free cruise with a plus one and I'm her plus one. Of course a free cruise doesn't mean a free vacation. There's plane fair, a motel room before the cruise, and $700 of fees to the bird guides we've hired. Still a great deal.

• cindyny
    Options

Betrayal, I love the blue bird pictures! I believe it’s my NYS bird but I’ve only seen them up close and personal once. I wanted to let you know I made your recipe and it was easy! I used crushed garlic, because I forgot an onion, partner never mentioned missing it and of course I never said it wasn’t in there. He loved it!

Puffin, I look forward to seeing your pictures from your cruise.

Today was “teeth” day - the temporary bridge work began. I have a spot where a piece of bone is working its way out, so he kept the temporary high off the gums. He drilled down the canine teeth and I had no pain, numbed me well. We left it at my return on 3/28 he’ll X-ray again to see if he needs to use the next two teeth to support the bridge. He’s hoping not; I’m good either way. But I’m guessing my permanent bridge won’t be in until mid April. No Adele concert so I’ve lost my “rush” to complete. Now as long as it’s all done and good before I head back to NY in May. I did take the Xanax before getting there; and slept for over 2 hours upon returning home.

Sandy, glad to hear you’re doing well and weight loss is going good too.

Petite, heats coming back here on high, and random rain storms with it. Enjoy your birthday celebration with Midnight Louie too!

MM, nice you’re getting some things off the “to do” list. My NY bedroom looms on my list and that’s it for now.

Jackie, oh I hope your computer part shows up soon. Way too long!

All the other ladies I missed, I’ve read everything and wish everyone well.

Weather was rainy today, hot & humid when not raining. Not a lot of walks happening. I may need to switch to evening walks which are not as enjoyable as morning walks. We’ll see.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Happy Birthday to me!! I was born in 1943 so you can do the math. We're going out to dinner tomorrow night with another couple who could not join us tonight. I bought myself some pretty lapis and silver earrings. My sister Linda sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

Connie, I'm happy for you that you're taking another birding cruise.

Hello to everyone else. Hope you have a good Friday.

• betrayal
    Options

Carole, Happy Birthday to you and chronology doesn't count if you feel younger. I love Lapis and my DH bought me a beautiful necklace when he had a stop in Chile while I was still isolated for Covid. So it means a lot to me.

• betrayal
    Options

Didn't mean to post above yet but must have accidentally hit the button.

Today is a beautiful sunny day that is warming up but still in the high 40's. The blue bird pair were just at the suet feeder so they must be staying in the area. I have seen photos in books and they are so beautiful but to see them at one's window you realize the photos do not do them justice. The blue and orange colors are so vibrant against the white markings.

I saw the surgeon this morning and I am happy to announce that I am now free from the wound vac. She is pleased that my wound is now so small it can just be covered with a dry dressing that I can remove and replace daily. I have spent 6 weeks carting it around and it is heavy. So glad to be rid of that extra weight and the long tubing which was a tripping hazard. The end of 2 months of wound drainage as well! She said I should not expect much drainage now. I am finally able to resume wearing street clothes, too. It is so nice to be able to move about even though my knees are not happy right now. I'll keep walking because I need to get back in shape.

We stopped at the local bakery and picked up some nice treats: an apricot brandy pound cake, some scones and a caramel pecan apple pie. We will share our bounty with DD and DSIL.

Cindyny, so glad you enjoyed the unstuffed cabbage recipe. We like it and it is easy to make.

My tete a tete daffodils are in bloom as are my small blue flowering bulbs. I cannot remember their name but they are delicate looking and the squirrels replant them in my lawn. I do dig them up and put them back in the beds where they naturalize so every year I get a few more. The hyacinths haven't opened yet but they will bloom soon. The larger daffodils are all pushing through the soil but no buds yet. Trees all seem to have buds on them so spring is coming.

Puffin, enjoy your birding cruise and I hope you see some new species for you log. Please send photos.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I am so looking forward to enjoying it.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Betrayal, congrats on the "no vac!" Things like that really make us appreciate normal life! So glad you were able to say "good ridden" to that vac! All your goodies sound delicious. I can't eat sweets like that more than a few times a year and even then, very small amounts. I get addicted to sugar too easily and try to avoid it, but sometimes one just has to splurge! After all you have been through lately, I would say you were definitely due a "splurge!" Enjoy! I do plan to make your cabbage dish, but not anytime soon as I have corned beef and cabbage for St Patrick's Day. I love cabbage and could eat it every day, but my DH doesn't share my enthusiasm.

My DH brought me a bunch of daffodils from our garden and he put them in a simple blue vase that goes so well with the yellow flowers. I will try to include them in some photos I will post, but I have to post pictures using my phone.

Puffin, enjoy your trip, it sounds amazing! Can't wait to see photos.

Jackie, I agree your wait for your computer has been too long! Glad you and your DH seem to be doing well! Hope spring shows up for you soon. My DS and family had another day of snow, but at least they didn't get the amount people in California and Nevada got!

Carole, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Easy for me to do the math, I was born in 1953! Like they say, age is just a number. We are NEVER too old to celebrate! I actually like being "old," what I lack in energy, I gained in appreciation!

Petite and sweet Midnight Louie, Happy belated Birthday to both of you!

Cindy, glad to hear you are moving right along with your dental needs! I am still bummed that you had to miss the concert! I heard Adele say she was so upset that she had to cancel shows, but she had no choice.

I am still wondering about what pet is best for us since I can only have one. For all here who have cats, I would love to know what you like and dislike about owning one. My DGD is still on my case about getting a cat! I never owned a cat and all I see is destruction of my furniture from scratching and knocking down all my pictures, plants and nicknacks. I also don't like a cat on my kitchen table, counters or flat surface stove. I tend to see all the negatives, so I would love to hear the positives of owning a cat. Also, the cost. I don't know why I think they would be so much cheaper than a dog. I am not sure if that is true.

I will see if I can add photos, the bird pictures are from my DH's sister who is a snow bunny in Florida.

• illinoislady
    Options

How true it is that, if we are cheerful and contented, all nature smiles, the air seems more balmy, the sky clearer, the earth has a brighter green. . . the flowers are more fragrant. . . and the sun, moon and stars all appear more beautiful, and seem to rejoice with us.

Orison Swett Marden

• mavericksmom
    Options

Enjoy!😊