Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,548
    Options

Hmm, I think I found today's quote because it sounds like perfect timing. Puffin anticipating and planning the next birding adventure (partially free) and Cindy getting on with dental work that isn't relying on a timetable now. Carole who is having a birthday and seems quite good not needing to assign it as positive or negative and finally ta-da. Betrayal gets to shed the would vac. Nature is indeed smiling.

I too am celebrating. A couple of days ago I looked at my Losartan bottle and had the thought — I have had an issue with low blood pressure since my open-heart surgery, when before I had fairly high blood pressure so why in the world am I taking 100 mgs. a day of medication to lower my blood pressure now that it seems un-naturally low already. A little while before I sat down to write this one of our VA clinic nurses called and she was actually calling for my Dh. She did though ask me how I was. I must have hesitated w/o realizing it and I said ok. Tiffany the nurse said — just okay. Now tell how you are REALLY. So I mentioned being frustrated with the constant need to do my blood pressure — which started a whole exploration by her into my having been prescribed what she saw as something of a high dosage of a blood pressure lowering drug.

I now have appts. being set up for a monitoring to ascertain where I really am on daily blood pressure readings and she is sending me overnight a much smaller dosage of Losartan. Meaning she won't take me off of it till we get more information but she certainly feels like I can do without so much on a daily basis. I think the new pills will be 12.5 mg. which she I think will have me cut in half and take one half in a.m. and the other half in p.m. I have felt stuck for the longest time and un-sure why. Having the thought a couple of days ago seemed to have opened up a whole Universe of help.

At the same time, we are having a pretty wet day today. It is not bothering me like it normally does. The gray color of the day as well as the dampness always get to me, but I'm so happy at the thought (something like Betrayal) that health things seem to be on the verge of changing for the better that it is not so easy to give me the slight feeling of depression that exists when gloomy weather is around.

MM look for a p.m.

Hope you all have a marvelous day. I'll talk to you again soon.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 257
    Options

The door's open and I am listening to a lovely gentle rain sound. So badly needed here although southern CA is obviously getting way too much.

Busy week - the first week of the month always is. Wish I could get some meetings spaced out better. Leaving the golf committee next month when my term as Pres. ends but have added a new book club which meets the first Wednesday. This month we read "Mad Honey."

Wonderful pictures, ladies. Puffin, I'll be looking for more of yours too.

Sandy, sound like you are doing well. Why increase the dosage? Hurray, Betrayal! That vac sounds terrible to manage.

Getting "new" office furniture from a friend. Will really force me to clear some more clutter. I have always loved her stuff and she wants to get rid of it. She and significant other combined homes so she has lots she can no longer use. Now just have to figure out a way to get it from her house to mine. I'm counting on Maureen and Ella to help me but may need to briefly rent a van if it won't fit in the back of Maureen's car. The food bank's thrift shop will take my older, much larger pieces and I hope there won't be too much time between getting rid of mine and getting Debbie's in.

Have a good weekend everyone. Our turn to host our friends but otherwise quiet here.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Betrayal - Hooray! The wound vac is gone. That must be such a relief. Hopefully the healing will continue to improve.

Carole - Happy Birthday! Hope the day was joyful.

Jackie,- I hope the motherboard arrives very soon. I can’t imagine being without my computer for a month. Speaking of which we are heading to Best Buy tomorrow to look at new PCs. Ours is so old neither of us can remember when we bought it and it has slowed to a crawl. Now that we are back from vacation I would like to make a photo book on Shutterfly. I can do it on my iPad but it’s easier to do on a PC.

Puffin - enjoy your cruise. Where are you headed?

Cindy, reader and MM - gorgeous pictures of the flowers. I don’t have a green thumb but I can look at flowers and gardens all day long. I find it so peaceful to wander through gardens and I love seeing signs of Spring.

Sandy - congratulations on the weight loss.

Taco - good job on decluttering. I hate that job. Fortunately since DH retired he has been spending time cleaning out our office. I suspect he will move onto other rooms as time allows.

It’s been a busy first week back from vacation. On Monday, I had an appointment with my PCP to get clearance for the BSO surgery next Thursday. All systems are a go. I did volunteer medical drives on Tuesday and Wednesday, a dentist appointment on Thursday (I need a new crown) and today worked at the food pantry. I need to get some cleaning done around the house this weekend as the BSO recovery will slow me down for a few days. I don’t think I asked the Gyn Onc regarding the recovery time, but I presume it’s a week or two. I’ll be glad to have this done and no longer weighing on my mind.

Have a great weekend!

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

Taco, I’ve read Mad Honey and enjoyed it. New office furniture and free to boot, always a good thing.

Carole, Happy Birthday! 🎉

Betrayal, a celebration is due for you too, kicking that wound vac to the curb! Glad you picked up some goodies.

MM, beautiful photos!

Harley, you hit the ground running after your vacation. Best of luck on Thursdays surgery.

Jacki, it’s nice to hear that nurse really listened to you. Getting to take less meds is a great thing. And I’m glad the rain couldn’t put a damper on your day.

Apparently my NY home has gotten rain on top of rain for days. My cameras let me see the puddle in the basement; dirt floor but I keep an eye on it. It stayed dry through a few days, then BAM, the puddle showed up.

Here in FL my dilemma is in the master shower. In my research I’ve discovered that step down into the shower is called a “shower curb.” Well I’ll be, learning the lingo. I can’t remember if I’ve complained about this already; if so, please ignore. I replaced a bunch of caulk, lying on the shower floor, maybe a week or so ago. I saw it cracking and got my 5 in 1 tool out to remove it all - including caulk pressed into the gap under that step. It was a big gap I filled years back. I scraped out everything and set up an oscillating fan in there to dry it out good.

I took a video and sent it to my friend/neighbor/handyman. His wife said I have too much free time. I asked should I re-caulk it or because it’s so big, should I grout it? He replied grout, and then said epoxy grout would be best- it’s waterproof. I asked could I hire him, but he doesn’t read texts timely and I’ve had no reply. (I’d share pictures if I can get a screen shot of the video)

So yesterday I researched epoxy grout and googled a bunch. Hence learning shower curb terminology. Epoxy grout needs to be properly mixed, it’s like regular grout with the epoxy additive but research has scared me off. If it’s too wet, won’t dry; too dry, not effective. A specific mix and then you need to work fast with it. I was thinking a piping bag to use as I’d be lying on the floor of the shower. Amazon had a product that had 2 tubes, like caulk tubes but 2 side by side. I was ordering it when it occurred to me I’d need the tools to use for the 2. Needless to say, over $80, and I cancelled that idea.

I have powder grout I can mix with water and stuff in the gap but if I’m wasting my time why bother. The top of the “curb” overhangs both outside and inside the shower - making any job there a pain in the patoot. I’ve rambled enough, and laugh that I’m talking grout with you ladies! I’m texting the neighbor now for help. Enjoy your day!

• cindyny
    Options

Blurry from video to picture - but it helps visualize the gap and the overhanging top of the curb. May the force be with me!

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Cindyny, your skill set is amazing and your ability to tackle home projects is admirable. Had to laugh about the comment "you have too much time on your hands". My DF insisted I learn how to do minor repairs, handle tools with some dexterity so I could hang curtain rods, etc and replace a tire. He gave me a tool box when I went to nursing school which made my classmates laugh but was a steady source of income when they would pay me to fix things for them. Good luck with the grouting project.

This is my first fill day of freedom from the wound vac and it is so nice to be able to walk without it hanging off my shoulder. I am straightening up and bagging items I want to take back upstairs now that I can sleep in my bed. It felt strange to be in it last night and yet it was at first a challenge to find a comfortable position. It helped with my edema since my feet were near normal size this morning. My calves are still a tad swollen but hopefully I am finally getting this under control. I see the cardiologist on Monday and hope that she will have some answers or a plan.

This has been a rough slog and losing two and a half months to an unanticipated post-op complication is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. I am still reeling from what has happened and wondering what the long term effects are going to be? I had 4 blood transfusions to try to correct my anemia after hemorrhaging, my hemoglobin is still low and now this edema. So cause and effect? Hoping by next surgeon visit in a month that the wound has closed and I can move on. I really like my surgeon but am looking forward to being discharged.

I need to do some drawer cleaning and this reflects my current energy level. I already addressed the powder room drawers and the section of the closet where I store cleaning tools. I still need to address the other side of this closet which has a shelving unit which I use to store candles, cooking items, etc. That requires a lot of standing so I will leave it for later when I can stand for longer periods.

It is rainy and cool today. Not my favorite kind of day but one which helps me focus on indoor projects. Think I'll go through the drawers in the family room furniture.

Harley, good luck with the surgery. Taco, great news on some new office furniture and the donation of yours to a charity. Recycling at its best.

Wrenn, enjoy your cruise. MM, good luck on your home projects as well. Did you find someone to replace your door? Illinoislady, hope the hard drive shows up soon. Sandy, sounds like the weight loss is progressing well and what is your goal? Chris, know you are lurking so hope your move plans are being firmed up so Tippy and you are situated. Sorry if I missed anyone but hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 950
    Options

Harley: We leave from Ft Lauderdale and will be going to Antigua, Martinique, St. Lucia, Dominica, St Thomas and Grand Turk. We've arranged for a private birding guide on each island except Grand Turk. Couldn't find a guide there, but we've signed up for a tram tour of the island that's supposed to go by a pond frequented by pink flamingoes.

• betrayal
    Options

Misty loved the visiting nurses and would interject her presence into their visits. She especially loved my regular VN leaving her scent on her bag, her pant legs and even on her lap one day. Good thing she likes cats. I would try to corral her but most days could not find her and then she would suddenly appear out of her hiding place.

She has totally taken over the one garden window which once had a shelf and multiple plants. When she started rearranging it, I removed the shelf and moved the plants to safer areas. This is now her domain and I love the crossed paws as well as the "cattitude".

LOL, she did let me leave the one Jade plant in the window.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

I never post here since mary/chris/who-ever threw her religious hissy fit at me, but WOW …just wow on that gorgeous feline! We have so many that are over the rainbow….I don't know if I could do it again, so just enjoying her beauty.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,317
    Options

Betrayal, Misty has grown from an adorable kitten into a gorgeous and regal cat! Glad to see the wound vac has been given the heave-ho.

Happy birthday and belated birthday to all I've missed.

I am now down to 160/M. I have revised my goal from 150 down to 140 by summer. I can't believe how much of a difference 23 lbs. can make for a short person. I look in the mirror and recognize my 70-yr-old self again. Now time to "Konmari" my clothes racks and put away anything with an X on the size tag.

I'm finding that I can tolerate some foods better than others, with the only consequences being a little more "active" gut. Last night I had whole wheat pasta with a little Rao's marinara. Even had a small slice of Margherita pizza for lunch today. Will try some Chinese tonight—start with soup and maybe some chicken & veg. I make up any caloric or protein deficits with a protein bar or shake, which are about the only sweets I can tolerate. "Cravings" are no more than "I could eat that…if I felt like it…but I don't." The only reason to titrate my dosage up to 5mg is that it's considered the lowest "therapeutic" dose; but I see more & more people like me who are doing well on the 2.5 "starter" dose. If my weight plateaus or the food noise comes back after 6 more weeks on 2.5, I might try 5mg again. As my endo explained to me, tirzepatide's half-life is 5 days. So if I take it weekly, I'm taking 2.5 on top of approx. 1.25mg still in my system. So the dosage is cumulative. Going to 5mg after 4 weeks was doubling my dose "load," on top of what was already in my system. By the end of 6 weeks, doubling the dose might not seem so abrupt a transition.

• illinoislady
    Options

Hi to Wallycat from another heavy-duty cat lover. I so agree. Misty (while not bad as a kitten mind you) has turned into quite a looker. I love how cats have favored places, people, toys, and treats - and aren't shy about it in any way. I am quite fond of seeing cats in windows enjoying the sunshine. Not surprised it became "her" place.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,317
    Options

We've decided to wait till we return from our eclipse trip before we begin the process of cat adoption. As to more travel, we've decided to try to find a Viking river cruise through either Portugal or from Budapest to Bucharest—probably in early July or in the fall, depending on whether Bob gets dismissed out of his suit or (more likely) it gets settled. Maybe for the fall we could even do Singapore down the east coast of Australia—depends on what the Bar Show rehearsal schedule will be.

Looks like I have a gig March 23—in the round with the Chicago Songwriters' Collective; but the kicker is it's also the night of the Bar Show's Cast Party/Rookie Show. The producer dropped a hint last week I might be in the running for an award, either for a solo performance or one of my small group numbers as a whole. (The locations aren't far from each other—so I could either shoot for the first or last set of the round). Sigh—it's either feast or famine with my performance schedule: the performances are few and far between but always end up conflicting with each other.

• illinoislady
    Options

"The only person I can try to be better than is the person I was yesterday."

~ Matty Mullins

• betrayal
    Options

Wonderful quote today.

• illinoislady
    Options

Long day today, but likely due to the fact we don't set our DST on Saturday nights. Don't know why but we have always waited until Sunday morning — so we begin the day an hour behind. Had all the morning chores and in addition I fried some chicken and make some potato salad. Then hair and a shower and getting dressed and setting my hair so we could go to the memorial for a family member this afternoon. On the way home we stopped at the store.

I ended up bushed and just now checking in. It was a sunny day but stayed sort of cool. Mainly from a very chilly breeze.

I did while out actually see the lady that sells in our friend's store. She told me she had a Whirlpool washer and dryer set that had been on sale for $998.00 and no matter when I came in she would make sure I got that price. That is wonderful because it just so happens that is about what I had saved up for it. Fortunate for us that we saw her.

Anyway hoping you all had a great Sunday and beautiful weather. Didn't wear yourselves out too much and are looking forward to a really good week.

• illinoislady
    Options

Do we need to make a special effort to enjoy the beauty of the blue sky?
    Do we have to practice to be able to enjoy it?  No, we just enjoy it.
    Each second, each minute of our lives can be like this.
    Wherever we are, any time, we have the capacity to enjoy the sunshine,
    the presence of each other, even the sensation of our breathing.
    We don't need to go to China to enjoy the blue sky.
    We don't have to travel into the future to enjoy our breathing.
    We can be in touch with these things right now.

Thich Nhat Hanh

• illinoislady
    Options

Sandy sounds like you have things fairly well under control. You always seem to handily juggle lots of balls in the air and most of the time end up in fair success. Good. I will anxiously await hearing that you are looking for gorgeous kitty or cat feet to grace your home with you. We have had pets all of our married life, even our dating life beforehand since Dh before he was one adored my cat.

To me I guess there needs to be a little errant fur in a home, but hopefully not too much. We border on too much.

I have good news that started out as not so good. We stopped in at Tony's (H &H computers) to check on my motherboard. Turns out it came but Tony could tell it had been wet and knew it wouldn't function so sent it back and ordered another. They have no idea (it has now become a back-order) when it will show up. They said they have had many issues with older computers needing replacement parts. Well, Dh does not like this computer he bought. Not due to anything so much about the computer, or how it functions. He is use to a laptop which allows him to shut the roll-top on his desk. So, he has not been super happy since he got this one.

I don't love it, but it works fine. It is the all in one with no tower and everything in the back of the screen. I'm use to the separate tower which is all you have to take in if you need something done. Still, Dh offered to give this one to me and he would take his old laptop back and use it. Feels he would be a lot happier.

Tony will be out of the office all day tomorrow working at a business office, but in on Wednesday. Dh and I will take his laptop and this computer in and Tony will transfer everything from my hard drive onto this computer. He will take Dh's things out of this computer and put them back in Dh's laptop. I will be fine with this computer and with my desk set up —- which is having the keyboard on a slide out under the computer I will be able I to work just fine. I do have a little learning to do, but there is not a big hurry on that. So soon I won't be able to RANT anymore about being nearly computerless.

• illinoislady
    Options

Seems everyone was quiet today pretty much so I thought I'd leave a little something extra:

• cindyny
    edited March 12
    Options

Jackie, yes yes yes, good idea on the computer switching.

It was a super beautiful day today. I was able to get my walk in this morning, and kept on walking when I normally stop. It was just so nice, when I came home I grabbed a book and went out to sit in the sun. I have the glow of the sun on my skin. As it got too hot, I moved into the edge of the garage for shade.

Tomorrow is the last good walking day for some time. Heat temperatures are going up and so is the humidity. But I’ll enjoy it while I can. It felt super nice to be out.

We’ve got another guest this week through Friday. A close friend of my partners had thought I’d be in Vegas, but you know how that ended, and he booked a trip down. We’ve got baseball games, I may stay home so they can yak all through it and enjoy. We’ve also got a hibachi birthday party - where they come to you and cook for the group, on Thursday. We asked the birthday girl and fortunately we’re able to bring him along.

Shower curb update - neighbor was able to silicone caulk the “gap” for me. Once he saw it in person, he said it didn’t need the epoxy grout. So I’m glad I didn’t buy the epoxy!

That’s it for me. Hoping you’re all doing well and enjoying your days.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 288
    Options

Jackie -love the quotes! Sounds like the computer switch is a good idea and allow you PC access when you need it. I’m sure you’ll figure out the differences from your PC in no time. We brought home a new HP 27” all in one PC yesterday. DH is setting up our files on it so I haven’t tried it out however it boots right up. No turning it on and waiting 15 minutes for the PC to wake up. I already love it.

We had lovely weather today - 60’s, sunny but quite windy. More of the same the next two days. Today we went for a hike in a local park. Spring is in the air! I was surprised by how busy it was given it was a Monday. I think folks are ready to get out and enjoy the fresh air. Rain is in the forecast for later in the week and temps will cool somewhat next week.

I have a volunteer drive tomorrow morning and then plan to FaceTime with my brother in Ohio in the afternoon. I love my brother but am very worried about him as he does not seem to be taking care of himself and his overall health and cognition seems to be declining. I have to be very careful with any suggestions I make as he gets very upset. He also seems to be somewhat paranoid and fearful of leaving the house which leads to isolation and further decline. I will offer to come visit him if he is open to it. Last year he wanted me to come, but lately he has seemed hesitant about a visit. He mentioned that he would need some time to clean up his place before I visit so I wonder how well he is doing.

Have a great week!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

My stress test is scheduled for 9:15 this morning so no coffee. Not even water. So glad every morning isn't like this. Hopefully I do well or at least well enough on the stress test that my PCP can give surgery clearance.

Jackie, the computer swap sounds like a practical plan. I've been using a laptop and my phone for years. Wouldn't want to go back to sitting at a desk.

Wishing everyone a good Tuesday. Had to stop and think about what day it is.

Before I post, dh and I both had our eye checkups yesterday and our eyes are healthy.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,159
    Options

Hi! This will likely be my last time on BCO. I will be spending all my free time fighting to save our Democracy, yes, SAVE OUR DEMOCRACY!

I am well aware that political speak on BCO is frowned upon, and normally I fully respect that. I DO respect others' opinions, but my ancestors fought in EVERY war in the USA starting with the American Revolution and I WILL NOT DISRESPECT THEM AND TURN A BLIND EYE TO THE TAKE OVER OF OUR COUNTRY BY A FORMER PRESIDENT!

If you aren't aware you need to be. Last weekend the former President hosted Viktor Orban. Orban won an election in Hungry, then lost the next election and cried fowl, then won the following election…………AND NEVER LEFT OFFICE!!!! That was in 2010! Steve Bannon, who should be serving, or have already served four months in prison, but is out on appeal, also met with Orban. If that isn't a giant RED FLAG, what is? Our former President is following in his footsteps because all he wants is to be a dictator!

I WOULD NEVER POST THIS ON ANOTHER BCO FORUM, women fighting cancer don't need to worry about this too, but here, we are all old enough to know what is at stake! We are mature free-thinking adults who realize that nothing on BCO will matter if our country goes to war in our homeland!

So, what can one do? Become active in your local community! What I am doing is initiating a "tell ten people" campaign. I reach out to people I know, many are members of my extended family and friends, who do not realize what is happening. They voted differently than I did because they always have supported that party all their life and they are largely unaware or unwilling to believe that it has changed so drastically.

I start out asking them for their thoughts and I listen! I look for common ground. I had some absolutely amazing conversations with those who support the former President, whom I loath, but except for that, I was surprised at how alike we felt on most issues facing our country! I hope some of the things I say to them will give them food for thought and hopefully allow them to realize they can change their vote for President without changing their values.

I feel for most people, their "political self" is not a large part of "who they are!" That is why things are getting serious so quickly, most people have no clue of the danger we are facing. If you think cancer is bad, you don't want to live in a dictatorship!

When I see sports crowds or go into my local pizza shop, I have no clue who anyone supports politically, and I don't even care. I see people having a great time, happy, enjoying life! But many, due to their busy lives, especially those with young children, have no clue what is happening before their eyes!

If you see the ruins from the wars in the Ukraine and Gaza and think that will never happen here, you are living in a fantasy world! It absolutely can and at the rate things are going, very likely will happen here!

As someone who studied Terrorism and Political Violence at the University, and as the daughter of a man who was very active in politics, the political world is all too familiar.

I will NOT tell anyone who they should vote for, but rather inform as many people as I can! This year may be the last election that will actually be a real election! Please do not take your current way of life for granted! If there ever was a time in to speak up about what is happening in our country, it is NOW!

I wish everyone here well! I do care about each and every one of you, but this year I need to put my time and effort into trying to preserve our way of life. I can't sit back and just "hope the courts will do the right thing," or that I can sit this one out and whatever happens, happens. One person can absolutely make a difference!

I will check my PM's from time to time, so while I will not take time to write on the forum, I will take time to respond to anyone who wants more information. Hopefully I will be back on next year at this time and will be enjoying reading about everyone's lives! I do plan to keep on living life to the fullest but have temporarily replaced my free time with efforts to protect our Democracy.

• betrayal
    Options

MM, I respect your need for political activism and applaud you for taking on a more active role. Please come back when you can because I will miss your bright optimism and cheerful outlook on life especially when we are facing hurdles.

Yesterday we had very high winds and it was chilly even if it was in the high 40's. It was sunny and that was the positive. I had my cardiologist appointment and felt much better after seeing her. Seems my abnormal echo should not present major problems and it will be repeated in 4 months (6 months after initial in January) to reassess findings. In the interim she wants me to work on getting back my physical strength even if it means going to PT. I told her I would work at my pace at home first because I do not think I could withstand the rigors of PT yet. I was able to wear my regular shoes for the first time since 1/5 but still have calf edema. She wants me to monitor the edema for the next 2 weeks and is willing to do another 2 week Lasix trial if need be. She felt I will need to be cardiac evaluated prior to knee surgery given my experience with my December surgery.

I drove for the first time since December but the office is within 10 minutes of my house so not a real trial. It felt good to be out even if it is only for another doctor's appointment. Sadly, without them I would have no outside life it seems.

VN came to change dressing and will come again on Friday to assess whether she will cut back to once a week visits. They will continue visits until wound closes. I dress the wound after a shower. Nice to be free of my wound vac machine.

The bluebirds are coming every morning to the suet cake and I am loving it. Read online that my house wren, which lives on my front porch, is very territorial and will attack bluebirds. Seems bluebirds are shy birds? The wren is also very active at the suet cake.

Cable went out yesterday so we had no internet, tv or telephone (land line). Then you have to hope that the cellphone towers don't go out as well if you need emergency assistance. Cable came back on around 10 PM but overnight the power went out. Got a call at 3 AM announcing cable was back and one at 7 AM to tell us power had gone out. We have a backup generator, purchased after many years of power outages and losing food, so we really only had a minute of outage if that.

Plan today is to do laundry and to deep clean laundry room. I regularly clean it but it has the litter box in it and litter does have a tendency to get all over. I want to go through the cabinets and cull old hand and dish towels, etc. So I better sign off and get started.

Hope everyone has a great day. It is sunny, currently in the high 40's and with no wind gusts. I'll take it.

• illinoislady
    Options

MM, I understand. We haven't welcomed political discourse here for a long time finding that it upsets people as does getting detailed about religious affiliations. I know it is your way of explaining your absence and I certainly commend you for caring deeply.

There is actually a couple of threads that were put into place and allowed to stay (they are not easy to find) and I will send you a link. As I don't get to make the computer switch until Wednesday I may not be able to do it till I get all my hard drive materials put into this computer, but I will see that you get it. You may find you really enjoy being able to express your ideas, convictions and feelings there. Like so most of BC. Org, it is a haven for those with deep feelings to be able to share with those who are like-minded.

Watch for a pm from me.

Carole, I hope your test goes well. Always the pits to go w/o morning liquids and knowing you can't have them awakens that gnawing need almost immediately after you wake up. That is the time I would be treating myself to a Starbucks on the way home or something akin to that.

Harley, I will put in a quote later as they haven't come in yet this morning. It is one of the reasons I dislike Spectrum mail. They seem to be late getting it in a lot of days. I hope you are able to visit with your brother. I do recall it has been on your mind for a while that he seems to be deteriorating a bit and not totally amenable to visits or even keeping up well daily. He is fortunate that you care so much. Hopefully that will get through and he will be a bit more cooperative and surprise you. Hard to know our loved ones may be in decline and we are mainly powerless to do much. I'm hoping and praying for you both.

I will be back later when I've found a nice quote.

• illinoislady
    Options

Looking for and enjoying beauty is another way to nourish the soul.  The universe is in the habit of making beauty.  There are flowers and songs, snowflakes and smiles, acts of great courage, laughter between friends, a job well done, the smell of fresh-baked bread.  Beauty is everywhere, ready to nourish the soul.  It must only be seen to begin helping us.

Matthew Fox

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Hi, Ladies. I had a wonderful time celebrating my Birthday with family and friends. Midnight Louie did get a bit stressed out over the family staying overnight. He normally hides, but for what ever cat reason, he was checking them out. He got so stressed, he could not settle down, He started panting and then started pulling out his fur. He slept all day Sunday, after they left and all day Monday. He is acting normal today. He does have a Vet appointment on Thursday, so I will mention it.

MM, I loved the flowers and the bird picture. We will miss you. Remember BC doesn't care who you vote for, so you may be in mixed company (so to speak). I dislike how politics divides people.

Betrayal, What a beautiful cat. I am glad the wound vac is gone.

Cindy, your abilities amaze me.

Sandy, way to go with the weight loss!

Puffin, enjoy your next trip.

Jackie, as always I love your quotes.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

• carolehalston
    Options

MM, I applaud you for being a political activist. I think Americans are spoiled and take for granted their/our freedoms. Also, there is so much misinformation. That's it. I will stop. Please do come back when you have the time and inclination.

I think I passed my stress test. I would never go back to this same cardiologist. She is well intentioned but her office set up gave me some misgivings.

It's a beautiful day but spring always brings the onslaught of pollen. I think of the famous line of poetry, "April is the cruelest month of the year." As is March here. Our car port floor is yellow with pine pollen.

I look forward to sleeping tonight and waking up tomorrow morning to the aroma of coffee.

• illinoislady
    Options

Well ladies — I went today and picked out my Whirlpool washer and dryer. My friend Jo as well as Dh went with me. Dr. B and Jo always told me if I felt a lack of confidence for any reason and wanted to use them as a source of comfort and help just to say the word — they would give me their best advice.

I had no qualms then when Jo said she'd be glad to go with me. I knew she has purchased a new set a couple of yrs. ago and likely wanted to help me if I got stuck. Well, she helped me all right. I was going over to pay for the purchased with the money I've been saving for a yr. It sounded like I would have just enough. Jo was talking quietly with the saleslady (someone we both know fairly well) and thinking it was something private I waited a ways away. Deb, the sales lady came over to me and asked me how I wanted to pay. I said well in cash and she sort of looked at me. I said well, you do take cash don't you? She said yes, but you don't need all your cash because your good friend over there just wrote out a check for the appliances for $500.00. I only had to pay about $650.00 more. I started to cry but got control. I have tears in my eyes again now. Jo and Dr. B have always been so good to me. Most of the time I try not to mention things because they will step in. It is so appreciated. All because I took care of Jo's mother for 4 yrs and loved every minute of it.

So tomorrow will be a wonderful day for me. New laundry machines and a functioning computer once again gracing my computer desk. On the on hand I sort of hated giving up my old set because they still work okay. I do admit though I no longer do my large bed quits and comforters like I once did. My old machines are front loading Kenmore's and are 17 yrs. old and have never seen a repairman save for one check-up which was free for buying the machines. Dh who sold appliances for many yrs. said it is time to do it now because the sounds (off and on) that get emitted, plus hoses on back that old are VERY iffy to the point of being nervous about possible coming events that could be avoided. So, he got me worried and concerned enough to finally go (a sale was on ) and get the job done. I also did not get charged sales tax and no removal and set up fee either. It is good to have a good friend in Jo. The man who owns the appliance store is the person who Dr. B asked to help Jo once he was gone and she was alone. So, likely she called him in advanced and set that up — saving me even more money.

Well, that is enough until tomorrow when I likely may be somewhat late posting. We are taking the computers down tomorrow as early as we can so we can get back home to be available for the washer and dryer. Will be a little bit busy but it is going to be a great weekend for me. I definitely will get caught up on laundry I bet — and I will be on the computer a pretty fair amt. as I get it organized for myself and hopefully easily figure how to navigate the programs I always use. They should be nearly the same as my windows 10 or at least I hope I don't have to have another rugged learning curve to get through.

See you all soon.

• betrayal
    Options

Illinoislady, your past kindnesses have come back to reward you now and I am sure Jo appreciates all you have done and still do for her. While you may not be taking care of her now, you still maintain that friendship and as I age, I am finding there are fewer of them. What a nice gesture though and I hope the new machines are all that you hoped for.

My aging washer and dryer are also a concern because today's machines seem to be on super steroids in regard to size. I have front loaders and will never go back to a top loader since these use less water and only 2 tbsp. of detergent. I keep my fingers crossed especially since they ran daily when I had all that drainage. The manufacturer was Swiss but is now owned by the Chinese and their ratings have tanked.

DH just told me that Windows 10 will no longer be supported after this coming fall so I will most likely activate Windows 11 on my laptop. It is available but I kept opting to keep Windows 10. I have been reluctant to make the change but in this case sooner may be better than later.

Today's plan is to finish the 2 cabinets and the shelf in the laundry room so I can say that room is done plus cleaning the interior of the refrigerator. DH was really a great caretaker during my recovery but refrigerator organizer he is not. It won't take long but I am sure I will unearth some budding science projects towards the back. He seems to only see things at the front of the shelves. The laundry room tasks are just sorting through the cabinets, organizing and culling while the shelf just needs to be wiped down. Ran out of steam yesterday even though I tried to keep it in short workable periods. I think cleaning like this creates a domino effect because as I moved items out to return to their "home" it creates temporary clutter in other areas. I have to move the robes I lived in for the past 2.5 months back to the bedroom closet which means I will need to reorganize that section, and that will create a cascade of items to be rehomed or donated.

petite1, belated Happy Birthday. It sounds like it was a wonderful day. Sorry that Midnight Louie was so stressed by your guests. Does he need a companion to help him?

Sunny and in the low 50's. Yesterday was lovely and I hope today is the same. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• carolehalston
    Options

Judging from my own experience, anyone with older washer and dryer that are working should keep them as long as possible. The newer machines do not seem to be made for longevity. I replaced a very old washing machine with a highly rated new machine that lasted only 6 or 7 years. Now it has been replaced. Meanwhile the old gas dryer is still working away. It doesn't match the washer but who cares?

I went to the golf course this morning and played 9 holes by myself, playing two balls so it was like playing 18 holes. The day wasn't as sunny as yesterday but the "possible" showers were limited to a few tiny raindrops. I don't enjoy hitting balls on the driving range to keep in practice. I'd rather play and enjoy playing by myself.

I called the plastic surgeon's office this morning to have them fax the surgery clearance form to my PCP. If I weren't on the ball, I don't know if my surgery would ever take place. You would think the doctors could communicate with each other in support of the patient. Ok. Enough grumbling.

DH was mowing today and got the big heavy zero turn mower stuck out near the mailbox. He was struggling with getting it unstuck when two young guys in a pickup truck stopped and helped him. What a nice thing to happen to brighten dh's day.