Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,176
    Options

Love all the photos!
    Betrayal, beautiful display! All your hard work pays off seeing all of them.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,881
    Options

Beautiful daffodils and so many beds. Gorgeous!

Lisa, I used to enjoy your photos so much. Good to see you again.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

SoCal Lisa - GREAT to see you. I usually just lurk on this thread & don't post much. Weren't you very active in a thread with ocean &/or water pictures? I really miss the picture of the beach/water/crashing waves.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

The ocean always refreshing

• socallisa
    Options

Two weeks ago, a group of us drove to El Centro CA to see the Blue Angels. We were very lucky to meet their first female jet demonstration pilot. She is fantastic and we were able to talk with her. I was a Navy line officer 60 years ago so we talked about those who preceded the present ones. I gave her a WAVES challenge coin and she gave me a Blue Angles Challenge coin. The show was fantastic.

She is LCDR Amanda Lee, USN

• socallisa
    Options

Is there anyone here who was in the original Chat Room so many years ago??

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,160
    Options

Socallisa, sorry, I was not part of the group even though my first diagnosis with bc was in 2003, but wow, your photos are amazing! So glad you shared them with us!

Betrayal, also gorgeous flower photos! The pictures really put a smile on my face! Sadly, we have to cut back on gardens, my Dh can no longer care for them, and I have no interest in gardening. We will have fewer gardens and those we keep will be easy to maintain.

The female puppy is on hold for someone else. That leaves only the mama, and I am sure that she will be snatched up quickly. I might try attending one of the dog rescues events this Saturday. I think that is the only way we will have a chance at adopting a dog from them. l was crushed that no one even reached out to me after I put in my application. I am actually now wondering if I should just let the dream of having a pet go. I know it is wrong, but I am struggling to find purpose in my life. Yes, I am Dh's caregiver, but that is often the cause of my depression.

Yesterday we drove to a park, brought his new "rollator" walker, but he didn't want to get out and walk! We did drive to a place that makes home made ice cream and each had a small dish of "carrot cake" ice cream, but he didn't get out of the car, I brought it out to him. We opened the car windows and ate it in the car. I really fight depression from being around him so much. I love him, but he has a tendency to suck the life out of me at times. Today I am supposed to meet with my retired girlfriends for lunch. Two of the women lost their husbands and I am acutely aware that I am lucky my dh is alive, it's just rough sometimes. I hope that lunch with the girls lifts my spirits because I don't think there will be a furbaby to fill the hole in my heart.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Enjoyed all the photos and the background stories. Thanks for sharing.

MM, I think it's normal to experience some down times. Don't give up on adopting a pet.

It's pouring rain here with lots of storms popping up in the area, capable of spawning a tornado.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,569
    Options

Keep your thoughts right, for as you think, so you are.
    Therefore, think only those things that will make
    the world better, and you unashamed.

Henry H. Buckley

• illinoislady
    Options

Here late today. I have been here since slightly after Older Women became a thread. So, I think that is where we met socallisa. Been a pretty long time. I have loved all your pictures, but I'm most fond of 'water' oriented pictures as water is so spiritual to me. Meeting with the first female Blue Angel sounds like it was very informative and made for a great conversation. How fortunate for both of you.

MM, I hope you don't give up on a puppy/dog companion. You have so much love to give and you already know that it would be a spirit lifter and respite from caring for you Dh. You are very intuitive about your life challenges so I hope you do what it seems is needed to make your dream a reality.

We haven't any gardens here. Dh was always so careless with the lawn tractors and despite the many barriers I designed he would manage to get around them some way and do away with most of my plantings. My SIL is pretty good with yards, but hasn't had the time he did at first so Dh is on the lawn tractors more than I would like. We do now have a couple of specialized areas now that SIL boxed in fairly well and they are large beds so I know they will survive.

Had to go to Mt. Vernon early for a blood draw for my yearly check-up with PCP. Hopefully my numbers will all be at least as good as they have been. I now have ended up with three appts. on the same day so am going to have to change one. The PCP one had been cancelled, but I found this morning that it has been restored so going to have to move something. I'm not willing to give my hair appt. I've had nothing done since this past Sept. and had to wait two weeks for this appt. I think Skin Care is going to be the one. Anyway, it rained last night and has rained on and off most of the day today. Ick. But we may have this even tomorrow. I'll sure be glad when the sun comes back. It is 58 degrees.

Hope you are all going to have a really good day.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,204
    Options

Had long list of bloodwork to be done yesterday but seems registrar only entered 2 tests of those I need for visit with PCP on Friday have not been done. Ones done did not require fasting which meant I rose early to get to lab for those for nothing and will most likely have to go again. She needed results for this appointment so wondering if I should cancel.

I am really annoyed and on top of it all, phlebotomist did not use butterfly needle and I now have large bruise about the size of a silver dollar. Can't locate arnica to apply but can show PCP the phlebotomists handiwork. Called lab to see what they can do and they said if PCP calls by tomorrow they will be able to salvage needed blood for missing tests however I reached out to PCP and haven't heard back.

Regan decided that cat scratch box in living room was a chew toy and ripped several chunks off. I duct taped it but found attacking it again today. Annoyed with her. I have scratch boxes scattered through out the house for Misty so she won't attack furniture.

DS brought DGD and DGS for a visit and he brought lunch. I baked some brownies so they could have 1 for dessert and 1 to take home. He also helped DH to install new garden arbor arch. I bought this to replace one that was on its last legs over a year ago and we finally got around to installing it. It looks nice but was a tad wider but with narrower side panels so they had to play around to seat it. Dug out one clump of hosta and moved it since it was in the way and was just erupting from ground. Some shoots got stepped on but I think they will be okay. Will rearrange rock border later. DH needs to attach hose so we can squirt and then wipe the arbor down.

Just put last load of laundry into dryer and am still learning what the flashing codes mean. Dryer has a heat pump and clothes come out just damp so each load dries quickly. Like both the washer and dryer just wish they weren't so smart!

MM, look at the puppies on the site I gave you. They were so cute. You will find the right one for you so hang in there.

Socallisa, always loved your photos so glad to see you back.

Sandy, I keep meaning to ask you can you were low heels? I have several pairs that are in the 1.5 inch to 2 inch level and wonder if I should keep in hopes I could wear them or should I just donate now. Gave up on higher ones years ago and never wore the 4-5 inch ones.

Carole, hope the storms do not effect you.

Hope everyone had a great day.

• mavericksmom
    Options

illinois, I laughed out loud when I read that you won't change your hair appointment! We are so much alike as I told my hairdresser I will cancel a doctor appointment before canceling my hair appointment! I hope your numbers come back good or better than you expect!

betrayal I will keep looking on the website you gave me.

I guess I just need to put the puppy on pause. I got to thinking that we have my GD's first Holy Communion the first Sat in May and her dance recital the following week. If I am not notified about the puppies' mom, I am going to wait and try to attend one of their meet and greet events with available pups mid-May.

I also want to get in touch with one of my BFFs who is an AKC judge. I know her dog is having a litter of pups soon.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,319
    Options

Welcome back, socallisa—great ocean pix. (We have lovely waves here along Lake Michigan, but instead of salty air they smell like dead alewives). Congrats on 23 years & going strong! I wasn't aware that SoCal could see any of the eclipse—photos look great!

Betrayal, a few months after rehabbing I was able to wear 1.5-2" heels—one pair of strappy little rhinestone Stuart Weitzman sandals, just a tad higher than kitten heels. I do have some Cobb Hill and Aravon orthopedic heels—sort of a hybrid of 1.5" and wedge for stability; but one's a Mary Jane and the other ankle-strap. My pumps need to be flats (I love Clark's Unstructured & Artisan lines)—not quite ballet, more arch support. For Gordy's wedding, I wore a 2" wedge glitter slide sandal. Managed to walk the "second line" post-ceremony recessional…on cobblestones, no less. The highest heels I ever wore were 3", which back in the day were calles "spike heels." No way will I EVER wear stilettos! My go-tos are UGGs in winter, modified-rocker-sole sneakers, oxfords (Finn Comfort—crazy expensive but last forever) and Alegria mules, clogs & slides in summer. (OOFOS for around the house & on the treadmill).

And love all those daffodils & jonquils. Now I can't get that Wordsworth poem out of my head…

Didn;t get around to buying an EZ-Pass because we didn't hit a rest stop till we crossed back from OH to IN…and their rest plazas were pathetic, just 7-Elevens. As to the XM, I kept following all the instructions to get a refresh signal, to no avail—till it dawned on us that once I replaced the Subaru's head unit, the "radio ID" in it is not the one on my account. So I'll have to call them and try to get it straightened out, but not till Friday when the weather clears enough to get a good signal. Speaking of weather, we had a brief but horrendously brutal downpour (including brief hail) just w. of Toledo, so intense I could hardly see the rear lights of the trucks ahead. Without those lights I'd have gone off the road because I had no idea where the shoulder was to pull over. It was blessedly (relatively) short because we were driving into and through it. Bob said he'd never driven through anything like it. But then a couple of hours later the sun began to set…in front of us. Our visors could do only so much—had to switch hands to block out the sun to protect our eyes. Ironic how much care we took during the eclipse, only to forget how horrible it is driving west as the sun sets.

Speaking of the eclipse, I figured out how to enlarge the shot I took during totality. The unevenness is the Bailey's (sp?) beads effect:

• cindyny
    Options

socallisa, very cool meeting up with the blue angel! Pictures are great.

MM, understandable re: your feelings. Keep looking for a pup, you’ll know it was meant to be.

Jackie, I’m with you too on not missing a hair appointment. I remember my stylist saying she could get me in early because so & so didn’t come in. I remember telling her I’d miss a dentist appointment, miss a doctor, but never miss her appointment!

Betrayal, you’re getting busy again with the garden trellis. It’s what I miss most, not being in NY when spring hits.

Carole, I’m hoping your weather holds out and your area is safe.

We’re in Key West but hotel is in a cove. Sunset was just on the other side.

My niece captured our boat, Key West Express, as it passed the live cam at the Pink Shell resort.

I’m a night owl and partner, he’s worse than me. But we got up at 6 AM, and to the boat by 7:15. Boat left at 8. Smooth sailing until we got past Marco Island. He had warned us it would be rolling. Multiple times I had to stare at the horizon as the motion got too much.

The boat ride was much better than driving. The drive from 20+ years ago “ain’t what it used to be.” But it’s a long long day; arrived 12:15. I’m thankful we didn’t go back tonight, but think we should have stayed 2 nights vs the 1 we booked.

We had a great lunch and then walked to our hotel, I think over 2 miles. Thankfully no luggage, only one backpack he’s carrying.

Tomorrow we’re hitting all the places he wants to tour - museums and such. And having a large lunch by 2. The boat to return boards 5-5:30, and weather looks very windy. I hope to get a seat towards the back of the boat - less movement they said. Because it will be dark when we get back, and I won’t be able to see the horizon!

Weather has been beautiful and sunny. If we didn’t have a breeze, the walk may have killed us. Tomorrow should be hotter than today.

Keywest, thinking of you!

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 257
    Options

Hi to all and hugs to all of you who are hurting.

We've had two lab mixes that we got when they were quite young. The first showed up at our door, full of mange and hungry and dehydrated. Vet thought he was probably was about 6 months old and we always suspected that someone kicked him out of a car on the nearby highway and he found his way to our door since we were the first in the neighborhood. Someone had taken the trouble to housebreak him which made him a keeper. I'm remembering him as having been neutered but who remembers those details. We had two young kids, Ken was a resident, and I was in graduate school so training him would be hard. He was a wonderful dog - very protective of the kids.

Next one was from a girlfriend's litter and our son said if we didn't take him, he would go to the rescue. Our first dog had recently died so we took him and our daughter, who was teen-ager, did the housebreaking. Only later did I learn that she had often skipped school to do it.

We went about 3 years without a dog and then I knew we needed to have dogs I could lift if I needed to. Our lab had pulled my mother down and I worried about that with a larger dog. We have had 4 small rescues. My criteria is that they will sit in my lap on the first meeting - not very smart but that's me. We quickly discovered that the first one had a tumor but we kept him. It was clear that he had already had a tough life and he finally had several of lots of loving years with us before he went over the rainbow bridge. Ken's first comment after we had to put him down was the "Trouble would want us to get another dog." We had two more "older dogs" and have never been sorry. Our current dog, Mutz, was younger than we planned on and even younger than we thought but he has gotten us in line over the last 8 years. We've noticed that his walks have gotten shorter this last year which works for us. He's been a lifesaver for Ken who has become quite a recluse as he's aged.

Ken's always wanted males and I haven't cared. I don't remember how old the second lab was when he was neutered. I know when Debbie was fostering cats, the decision to "sputter" was based on weight. Her fosters were weaned but with her until big enough for surgery as her agency wouldn't let any cat be adopted until then.

That's a long way to say we have been very happy with mid-life dogs. I will be very sorry to have Mutz go as it's clear he will be our last dog.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

SoCalLisa - thanks for the ocean pictures. I've been around for 10 years and remember you from Life's A Beach thread. It hasn't been active since the BCO changes.

• socallisa
    Options

Minus two yes that was a good thread. Also No Surrender, Circle the Wagons? The best was chat. So sorry when that was taken away. There is a group on Facebook with the BCO chatters so we have kept in touch all these years! Unfortunately we have lost too many.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Socallisa, I love the ocean photo! The water is so blue! Very calming photo. I always thought dentists should put beautiful pictures on their ceilings for patients to look at while they are getting their teeth cleaned or worked on. That picture would be great to look at while trying to keep calm and relaxed! Love the Blue Angels pictures too! Thanks again for sharing!

Cindy, I also liked your photos! Glad you are having a great time in Key West! That is what I call "living life to the fullest!" Also glad you are part of the "won't miss my hair appointment" club! LOL I am glad I am not alone, good to know you and Jackie think the same way I do!

Taco, thank you for the wonderful descriptions of your dogs, past and present! Yes, I know the right dog will come along. I am not giving up, I too think a dog will add so much quality of life for my dh and me.

Dreary, cloudy day today. I have some errands to do, pick up a prescription, and quick stop at the grocery store. As long as I accomplish something in a day, I am a happy camper. I have a list of things I need to do upstairs too. Still decluttering. I don't think I will ever stop doing that! I want to change out my closet and put the winter clothes away and bring out the spring/summer clothes.

• carolehalston
    Options

I'm thankful to report that we had lots of rain, 4 1/2 inches, but no bad weather. The city of Slidell, about 40 minutes drive from us, had at least one tornado. Pictures of the damage on the morning news.

I got up this morning complaining to dh that I felt tired, thanks to all the crazy dreams. In one dream some girl was trying to shoot me with a goofy looking gun. Another dream was a sailboat trip. No clue where dreams come from.

We had some good visits to Key West in past years.

Hair appointment at 11:15.

• illinoislady
    Options

Unfortunately, all is not beauty and peace.  I don't believe I've ever met a person who hasn't been challenged or wounded by something. Difficulties present choices:  we can either waste away from our wounds or use them to grow our souls.  My husband, for example, is a survivor of the Second World War.  As a child, he suffered through six years of bombings, near-escapes, and concentration camps.  Part of his soul work has been the gradual transformation of this deep well of grief and pain.  As he heals himself, he also participates in healing that terrible idea of war in others.  I have always said that no one heals alone--we heal through and for one another.    -Joan Borysenko

• illinoislady
    Options

Rain the past couple of days and more expected today on this cloudy, damp and dreary day. I will be driving Dh to Marion for his eye appt. For him it seems he has a lot of issues with his eyes and seems un-willing (fine up to a point) to have the thought that his eyes are as old as he and maybe they are not ever going to be able to be brought up to the level he would like. I don't know that, but the last three or more years have been up and down and no lasting results. At least he has found a VA eye Dr. that he can work with and seems to really like her.

I'm hoping we don't get into major pour-downs on the way to or back home. Otherwise nothing too much going on. Going to Marion usually wipes out the day for much since it pulls about three hours minimum out of the day just to drive there and back. Then whatever length of time (always a little different) we spend there on treatments, tests, or whatever. So, other than that, mainly the have to do things.

Hope you all have a good day.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Illinois, Wishing you a safe drive!

Carole, I jumped back on here because I just saw the damage in areas of NOLA and I was worried about you! I must say, not only am I happy that you only had some rain, but that you can keep your hair appointment too!

Also heard OJ Simpson died. No shedding a tear here.

Hope all are having a great day!

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,204
    Options

VN scheduled one more visit for next week and will discharge me then. Good thing because I ordered a small gift for her and it won't arrive until late today. Another patient had introduced her to her hand cream and then VN mentioned it and let me smell it. So I was able to find it online and order it for her. She has been so supportive through this entire mess including coming off schedule at her initiative to fix a wound dressing that failed. So she got me through the highs and the lows and I am appreciative. I can request her when I have my TKR as my home care nurse and I will.

My only contribution to the garden arch was to order it and then supervise as they installed it. One hosta group was in the way so they helped me dig it out and DGS helped plant it in a new safe spot. It was just erupting so I wanted to save it. They end up being deer salad bar if I don't keep coyote urine on them and these are closer to the house but it seems our deer are not shy.

Sandy thanks for the feedback on the heels. I used to have a few pairs of "spikes" but never stilettos. I loved them then but knew a few years back I would never be able to wear them again. Miss them because they made me feel "tall" even if I was only 5'4' at best.

Got a call about an opening for a dental cleaning today so I took it. They called at least twice before when I was still attached to the wound vac so I had to decline. I'm really off schedule and will be lucky to get 2 of the 3 I am entitled to this year. Was told to request info from ortho about post-knee prophylaxis antibiotics in the future. Some doctors are no longer doing this but dentist requests a letter if they don't order it.

Sunny here with temps to reach in the 70's so a lovely day. The rhododendron is in bud and will most likely flower in the next day or two. It's a magenta color and so pretty. It was obscured by the fir tree so I cut that back and then staked the rhododendron in hopes it will grow straighter now. I had to trim it some but it looks good.

Illinoislady, I hope your DH can get his vision to where he can accept the changes. I find with my DH that he will deny issues dealing with hearing and sight. Makes me crazy because he cannot hear but according to him the problem is me. However, he answers questions with the wrong answer because he did not hear the question as it was stated. My DD has noted this and called him on it but again denial wins. I am going to make an appointment with my audiologist because she mentioned a series of observations that indicate hearing loss and he had most of them. He also speaks incoherently at times thinking he is speaking louder. Nope he is mumbling so he has gotten the wrong foods at restaurants but blames the waitstaff. I have a "dog whistle" level hearing loss and some at lower levels and have hearing aids that I wear when we are going to be in crowds. They are mostly for my tinnitus to drown it out. Some days it is quite active and loud and on other days I barely hear it.

Carole, glad you missed the really bad weather. Cindy, enjoyed your photos of Key West. We drove there from Miami in 2016 and I loved it. On the way back to Miami we stopped for lunch, I think in Islamorada, and I had crab cakes and a watermelon salad with goat cheese and balsamic glaze dressing. I asked they not put the onions on it because I don't like onions in a salad. I now make that salad at home still sans onion. The restaurant sat in a cove close to the bay and it was magical.

Taco, nice that Mutz has adjusted his walk length to those that Ken can handle. Regan walks with DH daily and she has gotten better on the lead.

Wish everyone a wonderful day.

• illinoislady
    Options

Whew, we got to Marion and back with decent weather even if it was gray. I was afraid we'd get into a serious downpour but we got lucky. I also thought we were going to be late, but we had time to spare. Not a lot, but we weren't late.

Eye Dr. said Dh didn't need his overall prescription changed but did agree to up the bifocals so he could have larger print while reading. Otherwise, he is to use his eyewash pads and eyedrops just as he was told last year. So, there really isn't a lot to be done with his vision. Hopefully he will be happy if he can read things with a bit more ease. He has never been much of a 'reader' and doesn't even read our newspaper. Thankfully he does buy it for me.

Count me in for being happy Carole didn't experience any storm damage. I'm not happy about storms, but as noted before for us here it is seldom that we get tornado issues much. It is more the rain squalls. I'm more concerned with straight line winds but those have only happened once in the 26 years we have lived here. Glad you were able to keep your hair appt. too.

Betrayal, your VN does sound like a caring and responsive person and how great of you to provide her with something she likes as a token of your heartfelt appreciation. It will make her glad for her ability to feel the devotion to her calling and her patients. Doubly glad to hear you can request her again.

At any rate, on the way out of the VA we stopped at the MP's office. When we were walking up to the front door entrance we heard a loud bang and then saw a car (older large red car) backing out and going toward the end/exit area of the parking lot. This person apparently hit a vehicle (a large white truck with a quite large camper on it) while pulling in. They chose obviously to leave the scene rather than deal with what turned out to apparently be minimal damage to the truck. In truth with the size difference between the two I'd expect the red car to be in worse shape. As we, along with someone else, saw/heard the incident taking place we stopped at the MP office before going on to the eye appt.

They asked if we would write out a statement and I agreed. Dh had dilated eyes so he was not able. I told them what I mainly heard and saw after the fact. The MP office had tape and could clearly see on tape that the red car did strike the truck and then LEFT the scene w/o attempting to rectify the situation. The MP office will be sending the owner/driver of the red car a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident. Both of the vehicles were in the handicapped parking section of the lot — which meant they were all close to the entrance to the hospital.

Surprisingly it did not take long to deal with making the report and we were able to get on the road and back home by a little before 2 0'clock. Not bad seeing as how we stop in Benton ,Illinois, a little over half way home and get 2 large orders of un-salted French Fries. We need a nibble by then and it has become something of a habit for us. The sun is out now despite having a little rain just a bit ago. Sun was out beforehand surprising me and now is out again. If we are lucky — no more rain later on or hopefully tomorrow which will be a catch-up day for me.

Hi to all who didn't post today. Your in my thoughts.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,319
    Options

Carole, glad to hear you dodged the worst of the weather. Leslie's family down in Katy, TX had a rough go of it—her parents & sister's houses lost power for most of a day and several large tree limbs came down on her parents' property, narrowly missing the roof. Leslie & Gordy are starting their move (around the corner and up 3 flights) this weekend, with Leslie doing most of the work because Gordy has a bad back (at 39, his is worse than mine at 73).

But the biggest upheaval here—though not unexpected—is that our HK gave her one month's notice today. At almost 71, she is more than eager to retire from an increasingly physically challenging job. She accepted an offer on her house for the asking price. Barring any mortgage roadblocks for the buyers, the closing will be May 20—with her movers clearing out the place on the 18th as she moves down to Birmingham. She's looking online at townhomes near her family (son, DIL, grandkids and now her sis who's moving back down from Knoxville because the winters & hills are a challenge). We get our kitties on Monday, so she'll help us set up for them. This is the biggest change in our lives since Gordy was born—but we got along without help for 13 years before Gordy was born (and had cats before that too). It's rough—after all these years she really is family, and since her DH died last year we are the only thing keeping her in Chicago.

• carolehalston
    Options

Jackie, glad your trip to Marion went well. Have you adjusted to no salt on your fries?

Sandy, what a change for you not to have your housekeeper/friend. Will you look into hiring a new housekeeper? Or get a cleaning service?

I turned out more blonde than I expected yesterday. My stylist did the same base color and highlights. I'm thinking I will not get color this summer in MN and see what shade of silver or gray emerges. The salon in Park Rapids is more expensive than my stylist. I always tip her generously to make up some of the difference.

DH and I are going to a cookout tomorrow, held annually by his woodworkers guild. It's held at a camp owned by one of the members on a bayou, quite a pleasant setting. I have to make a dish to bring. I committed to a cauliflower potato salad. I have a Hungry Girl recipe I will look up. The salad is good for diabetics since it substitutes cauliflower for the potato. The meat is always delicious at this cookout, cooked in a huge smoker. The chicken is the best I've ever tasted and the sausage is very good, too. It looks like we'll have a pretty day for it.

Last night I slept on both sides for the first time since surgery two weeks and two days ago. It was so good not to sleep the entire night on my back.

Wishing everyone a good Friday.

• illinoislady
    Options

Do we need to make a special effort to enjoy the beauty of the blue sky? Do we have to practice to be able to enjoy it? No, we just enjoy it. Each second, each minute of our lives can be like this. Wherever we are, any time, we have the capacity to enjoy the sunshine, the presence of each other, even the sensation of our breathing. We don’t need to go to China to enjoy the blue sky. We don’t have to travel into the future to enjoy our breathing. We can be in touch with those things right now.    -Thich Nhat Hanh

• illinoislady
    Options

Started out with bright sun this morning but looking out the window now and seeing lots of clouds and a grayish cast. Fair amt. of breeziness so maybe it is blowing up something. I had hoped we were through with rain for a bit. Hmm, I think maybe just cloudy today. It will be in the 70's tomorrow and maybe slip into the 80's through the week. Spring will be officially here then.

Carole, I have adjusted well to having fries with no salt. I use pepper instead. It has become amazing to me just how good a lot of things taste w/o salt. We start out pretty quickly getting salt in our diet and I guess acquire very quickly a need for it. I was horrified at first (even though I used far less I think than most people) that I would have to give so much up, but you can acquire a taste for no salt in reverse. I'm thankful it was not as hard to do as I thought.

Wonderful that you were able to be a side sleeper again, Carole. I only sleep mainly now on my right side since my broken arm. I was never very good at back sleeping. The only way is if I'm in the recliner or an adjustable bed. Good for you. That is another thing that would be quite difficult for me. I don't know anything much about color for hair anymore but wondering if your hair turning out lighter this time means there is more gray now perhaps. Thinking here it may be really nice now to let it go to natural.

Hope all have a good day and can look forward to a nice week-end.

Happy kitties on Monday as they move to their new home with Sandy. What a great adventure for everyone.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,201
    Options

Good morning, all. I had a MOHS procedure for a squamous cell skin cancer on Weds. The clear, serous fluid was flowing Thurs. late afternoon. That scared me, as it is on the surgical side arm with 7 lymph nodes removed. It dried over night. Praying for no lymphedema.

I went on a 3 day mini vacation with my niece and her friends, made me feel like I was 50 again. We had a lot of fun and laughs. We ventured into a mall for some shopping. I went to a Victoria's Secret store and they had a bra fitter. I have been wearing the wrong size bra since surgery recovery. LOL. I was fitted s/p surgery at a mastectomy bra store, but as further recovery, more exercise, and life style changes, my size changed. While on my wander, we went to see my great grand niece. So cute.

Blythe, welcome

Socallisa, love the photos

Loved all the photos for everyone.

• cindyny
    Options

Jackie, I’m glad your trip was not interrupted with bad weather. It’s good your dh has no further issues with his eyes, and hoping the bifocal adjustment helps him out.

Carole, I’m glad your weather didn’t get destructive. And don’t blondes have more fun? Tee hee. Happy you were able to sleep any way you wanted.

Sandy, your HK is family and I know you’ll miss her. She knows that too, it’s hard on both of you. Waiting on those kitties!

Petite, your great grand niece is adorable! Super that you enjoyed your mini vacation, we all need those.

Betrayal, it’s nice how well you got along with your VN, and sweet to provide her a thoughtful gift. Glad you’re getting in for a dental cleaning. My insurance only covered 2 per calendar year. When I get back to NY I’m scheduled for a cleaning with a new dental group.

We got home from Key West about 10pm. We were both so drenched in sweat & sunscreen we stripped out of clothes and filled the washer to get it going. Then a shower and clean jammies for me felt great.

We would definitely do the Key West Express again. But we’d stay a minimum of 2 nights. Between an app, Key West Rides - a mini type bus picks you up for 50 cents, and the free Duval Loop, we got around easily. I say that noting my Fitbit registered about 6 miles daily. We got out walking in!

Weather was hot and humid, and we had a breeze. Without that breeze we’d probably have dropped. So wet was my partner, from heat and carrying our backpack, he bought a tee shirt at the Dive store near our boat- so he could change out of his wet shirt for the ride home.

Great trip, glad to be home. Resting and doing nothing are on my agenda.

Zoom in to see the array of orchids on each side of the porch.

Manatees at the dock where we took the boat home.
    Enjoy your day!