Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 346
    Options

@mavericksmom Hiiiii ya‼️……yes I love dogs and we,ve always had them when our kids were growing up. When DH and I first got married we got our first Great Dane a black puppy., Shani.(Shannigirl). She was there for the birth of all our children….a wonderful gentle giant who always was lying next to the kids. When she passed we had gotten yellow and black labs over the years. Our kids loved them. We. Also had English Bull Dogs and pugs. Now I would never be without our 2 pugs. I adore dogs. We’ve had cats over the years also, but I’m more of a dog person. It’s been many years since we’ve had a cat since our 22 yr old cat passed.

The Petsmart Adoption days were fun. Our The Great Dane rescue group regularly attended the adoption events with our “Ambassador Dane” Mario, who wore a donation jacket. He was our dog, not a rescue, and he was so handsome and big and so many people would come up to pet hem and put a dollar in his donation pocket😊. Here is a picture of us with him during adoption event, back in 2004. This day was his first event and he wasn’t wearing his donation jacket yet. He was 10 months old here.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 255
    Options

Harley - holding you close.

Cindy - I was trying to remember what "The Women" reminded me of. I'm sure it was China Beach now that you mention it. I even thought I could remember the places that were mentioned, especially the location of the hospital, but maybe that's an overactive imagination. Doesn't come close to "The Nightingale" as far as I'm concerned.

I don't recommend reading "Heaven and Earth Grocery Store" when you are distracted. It seemed to me like a series of connected vignettes and I found it hard at times to keep track of the characters that seemed to hop in and out of the story. I can see why my book club decided not to discuss it.

I found several books that I've had for ages when I moved stuff for my new furniture. Am making myself at least read enough to decide why I ever bought them. Right now "Juliet's Nurse" is waiting for me. Our community has a wonderful book and puzzle exchange system so whether I read them or not, they will have a new home. No check-out involved. One takes what she wants and leaves what she doesn't. It's certainly grown over the years and is closer than my local library.

I really am trying to sort and donate. We've pretty much decided to stay in our home for now although we did take a look at an independent living cottage. I can't imagine our daughter tackling this place as she will want so little, mainly an antique desk and chair I think. We have things we moved into this house 11 years ago that we've never used. Also have a pile of electronics that will go when the hazard waste collection happens in 2 weeks. DD has my mother's china which she's never taken out of the box but now that she is getting married, my great-niece wants. I'm guessing her wedding gift will be the cost of boxing and shipping it from Maine to Denver.

Sandy, are you "camped" out somewhere waiting for the eclipse? My DD, who was relying on her generator for several days, swears that Central Maine Power cleared trees in the "pathway" faster than they did in her area in anticipation of tourists.

Have a good week everyone. Mine will be busy.

• blythe17
    blythe17 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I was diagnosed while in the hospital for a severe lung infection. A chest X-ray found a mass in my left breast. I had a mastectomy 3 weeks ago. I feel lucky in that I am HER negative, my PET scan showed no metastasis and my BR1 and BR 2 were also negative. I do not need radiation or chemo. I just started taking an estrogen inhibitor. I’m wondering what affects this hormone inhibitor others have experienced.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,020
    Options

Hello again, @blythe17, and welcome to the community! We're glad to hear that despite your diagnosis, your PET scan showed no metastasis and that you don't require radiation or chemo. Many members in our community have shared their experiences with hormone inhibitors. If you're interested, we have a dedicated Hormonal Therapy - Before, During, and After section, where you can connect with others who are on a similar treatment path and share tips, experiences and support. Feel free to start your new thread there, or just jump in and join the conversation on existing threads. Let us know if you need help with that. We're here for you!

Sincerely,

The Mods

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,856
    Options

Welcome, Blythe. What good fortune to have your bc discovered. I took arimidex (the dreaded little white pill) for almost 5 years. I stopped a few months before the full 5 years. I tolerated it fairly well. Blamed a number of things on side effects, like weight gain, higher bp, higher cholesterol. None of those improved after I stopped. It seems to be an individual matter as to whether the various meds in that category can be tolerated. Good luck to you. Let us know how you get along.

It's cloudy here today, not good for those who want to gaze at the solar eclipse with appropriate glasses. The PBS show Nova had a great segment yesterday on the eclipse. We don't have the glasses since we didn't bother to get them.

At noon we have a lunch date with a former neighbor who still lives in this area. She's a sweet person married to a selfish man. He's anti-social and won't be joining us.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,382
    Options

I will greet this day with love in my heart.

And how will I do this?  Henceforth will I look on all things with love and
    I will be born again.  I will love the sun for it warms my bones; yet I will
    love the rain for it cleanses my spirit.  I will love the light for it shows me
    the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars.  I will
    welcome happiness for it enlarges my heart; yet I will endure sadness
    for it opens my soul.  I will acknowledge rewards for they are my due;
    yet I will welcome obstacles for they are my challenge.

Og Mandino

• illinoislady
    Options

Blythe, you are indeed fortunate and really good that you can avoid a lot of the treatments (save for hormonal) that most need to do. I hope you are able to find as many answers as you can. Most if not all of us here generally had some one or other of the 5 yr. pills (great insurance for after whatever else was in your treatment plan) and reactions were fairly different. Usually one could be found that would be highly tolerable. I stopped mine right before my five yrs. was up. I did okay with it though. A few mild complaints, but overall I felt that I needed the pill.

• illinoislady
    Options

We had quite a storm late yesterday afternoon. Hail, thunder and lightning and the threat of a tornado. Spring is the time of year (highly un-settled weather patterns) when we can expect poss. tornadoes to show up in the weather predictions and reports. We never got the tornado, but did get all the rest. Our hail here was not too big so didn't cause issues.

Woke up to bright sunshine coming through the windows facing the East. Turns out — if we want to see the eclipse all we will have to do is go out in our yard. Really nice for us.

I'm awaiting Medtronic calling about helping me set up a machine which will aid me in my blood pressure readings per day. Once a day and with the machine and a Blue Tooth cuff — they will be sent into a special Nurse at the V.A. My blood pressure has been pretty good for several months now and I think even it better since my Losartan medication was cut down. I never understood (nor did the Nurse) why in the world I was even taking a blood pressure lowering drug when my blood pressure (fairly high for yrs.) became low after my open heart operation and never returned to even normal for some time, let alone high. The most I've been able to attain lately is 124/70 which is in fact a fairly great one for me. Anyway, this Blue Tooth set up will help the VA determine where I'm really at I presume and will assist greatly in deciding future medication choices.

Carole, sounds like your lunch date will be great. Interesting how it seems opposites really do often attract? Guess I'm wondering if your friend's husband was always anti- and or other issues or if something happened along the way. That said, in most of the cases I'm aware of the later changes seemed always for the better for the most part. Your friend seems to know how to make the best of it. Likely by spending time with positive and fairly happy people who enjoy each other's company.

Going to get up to 76 today Dh said. It is 58 right now so really nice and warm for the eclipse. I hope you are all going to have a good day.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,157
    Options

Bright sunny day that is supposed to hit mid 60's by this afternoon and I am looking forward to that. Did not get solar eclipse glasses so will watch on TV.

Thought today would be my last surgeon visit but she had to cauterize some open skin areas. Drainage may have been from that. She was unable to locate pinhole that VN saw last week. Have a seroma about the size of a silver dollar that is rock hard and will take months to reabsorb she says. Today marks the 3 month plus 1 day anniversary of my original drainage deluge. She agreed this has been a very long process and wants me to recognize that I am still in recovery mode thus my low energy status. One more appointment scheduled in 3 weeks but I can cancel it if drainage ceases and there are no other issues.

Have an appointment with hand therapist this afternoon and that is going well. I am supposed to be finished with that by next week. This week is busy with appointments: PCP, need bloods drawn so will go tomorrow early since they need to be fasting, VN will discharge me this week so this is her last visit, and one more hand therapy appointment. Canceled car appointment for tomorrow since DH was able to do a temporary fix of windshield washer jets.

The suet cake is a shadow of its former self because it certainly has been a magnet for the birds. Even the cardinals are visiting it as have the male and female blue jays. I'm enjoying watching them.

Blythe, each of us has probably had a different experience with AI's. I had experiences with all 3 with intolerable SE's with the first 2 and the last one was the winner with the least SE's for me. So just remember to discuss SE's with your MO if you develop them and realize there are other options. I took AI's for 7 years since I had Lobular as well as Ductal Ca and 7 years was recommended for the Lobular.

MM, Willing Hearts Dalmatian Recuse located in Royersford has some non-Dalmatian puppies on their website. Check it out.

Taco, my DD and DSIL asked that we leave the house to them and DS has requested an oil painting I did of Kate Kearney's cottage in Ireland plus a few other small things. DS and DDIL will inherit her parent's home complete with inground pool. I have china and crystal that my DD likes but as she says "no one today wants china". So she is content to inherit it all. I don't have "silver" flatware but do have very good flatware.

It's nice that the china will go to a family member that will cherish it and it is such a nice wedding present. Something old, the china, for a new union that wants to keep the family memory.

My mother put our names on items we wanted her to leave to us which the four of us honored. My DB and I did swap end tables because he wanted the less formal one that opened up to a game table and I had wanted the formal cherry one. My mother left the original sales receipt in this table I inherited. We also had first dibs on any items we gifted her.

I hope everyone gets a chance to see the eclipse, even if it is on TV. Enjoy this memorable day.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    edited April 9
    Options

Betrayal, you don’t need to coop yourself up in front of the TV. All you need are a couple of white paper plates. Put a pinhole in one. Now turn your back to the sun, place the plate with the pinhole atop the other and slowly move the intact one down till the image comes into focus. That’s what I did on my deck in 2017–and on the deck at the peak of “annularity” there were hundreds of little crescents on the deck surface. Wish I’d photographed those!

We’re picking up “the girls” a week from today when their foster returns from California. Visited them Friday, and BangBang already senses I’m gonna be her mama—she jumped into my lap, kneaded on my thigh and then aggressively face-bumped and rubbed while purring up a storm. She & Roxy took treats from my palm. They had a rough few years. Their first adopter developed Alzheimer’s, so her BFF—a lawyer with a huge apartment—took them in. But a year later she too developed dementia—when they found her wandering the halls of her building, they discovered the kitties had been fed only Cheerios and had to drink out of the sink. Our foster got them in January, and it’s amazing that the vet had to do so little for them, just removing a b9 growth from BB’s outer ear. Not even teeth cleaning.

So here we are in Cleveland, and it was an ordeal getting here. First, when we set out at 2pm the traffic was so bad that it took 1/2 hr just to get the half-mile from our house to Lake Shore Drive. Then, it stormed—of nearly Biblical intensity. Traffic crawled all the way to the Skyway to IN…and then at the tollbooth the gate-screen flashed “Invalid EZ-Pass, use credit card.” WTF??? So we had to back up, open the window & door and even undo my seatbelt to reach the scanner. This was repeated several times, though I did get close enough to just lean out the window. We nearly had to detour for flood warnings, but fortunately the tollways didn’t flood. But there were times I could barely see even with the wipers on full blast. The traffic let up east of I-65 (the turnoff to Indy), but not the rain.

When we got near S. Bend when WXRT’s signal faded, I switched to XM and got the message “Channel not authorized—call….” Ugh. So we played dial-roulette, trying to find stations that weren’t Spanish, rap or Christian (and in one case, death-metal). Found one out of Toledo that was “music of each decade (one song each from the 1920s on), then a classic country station and finally a Cleveland rock station. Pulled up to the hotel at 10pm (!) only to find that the garage seemed inaccessible (misleading Do Not Enter sign), so because we were at a 2-hr meter in front, we had a very late dinner at the bar (instead of having to resort to beer & Doubletree chocolate chip cookies). Bob had eaten a big slice of Sbarro pizza at a rest stop but I wasn’t hungry after leftover Chinese takeout at 11am. Bought a bunch of protein snacks to eat en route, but it was such a white-knuckle drive all the way that I could barely reach for my water bottle.

We may go to the garage-rooftop viewing party (Bloody Marys and mini-dogs)—but the view will be better from the sidewalk! We’re 1/2 mile from the Science Center, so we may walk over there. Sunny, high cirrus clouds and in the 60s. Went online and found my I-Pass was no longer on my account, just Bob’s. I think my i-Pass might have died, and when I replaced my car’s radio everything was reset, so there went my XM. His satellite & iPass are fine (transferred 2 yrs ago when he got his new car), but his car is a rolling Fibber McGee’s closet with a tiny 12-gallon tank, needing fill-ups as often as mine despite his being a hybrid. No spare tire—and no offense, though he offered to drive he drives like a little old lady (yeah, I AM one) and we wouldn’t have gotten here till way past midnight.

When we get to the first rest area tomorrow afternoon I’ll buy and activate an EZ-Pass, which works in more states than an i-Pass. And from home I’ll call SirusXM to reactivate my radio—we’re still paying for it.

• chisandy
    Options

Oh—and I believe in early spay-neutering, especially neutering—tomcat instincts kick in quite young and if not neutered before 6 months, the cat can be a lifelong “sprayer” (as Matthew was when we got him at 2 yrs old from a shelter that’d neutered him not long before that). We had Mishmosh neutered at 2 months and Happy at 10 weeks. You can safely wait till after a female’s first heat ends, but you will go through hell while she yowls and tries to escape. (Our first kitty had weaned a litter when we got her, but we had to wait till her milk dried up…by then she was in heat again).

• betrayal
    Options

Overcast with heavy cloud cover so eclipse was a non-event here. Deer were in woods and did not notice any change in their normal behavior. Looked for white paper plates and had none so I just watched events happening in other areas of the country. It was impressive.

Regan was not spayed until we got her at 2 plus years of age and vet remarked on how large her uterus was. Her incision was longer than what we saw on our last dog who had been spayed at 2 months. So that is a consideration as well. Her recovery was quick and she did not require the cone of shame for more than a few days. She was not interested in the incision at all.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,150
    Options

Betrayal, thank you so much for the name of the other rescue organization! For now, we are waiting to see if we might still be considered for the female puppy. She is so cute! I am not in a hurry, when the right pup for us is available it will work out. Nice to have more than one organization to apply to. Also good to know that you had a dog who was spayed at three months!

I had an appointment with my breast surgeon scheduled for July. Last week I was already starting to get anxious about it. I ended up canceling the appointment which I can do easily online now, without stating a reason. I do not expect to hear from his office again. I didn't like his attitude.

Honestly, while of course I am not a doctor, I worked with animals for over 10 years and I became very, very good at palpation, finding issues even the veterinarians I worked for missed. I feel confident checking myself for cancer since I have no real breasts. My MO also checks around my collar bone when I see him. I will continue to see him twice a year. Because of my past history I will be on Letrozole for ten years to life. I am ok with that as I don't have bone issues, at least not yet, and I don't notice any side effects.

The eclipse was a bust here too, due to clouds, and I too watched it on TV. My DH's sister chose to come home from Florida, leaving on Saturday and heading to her home in MI. Not smart planning, she said when she was in the "total eclipse zone" area on Sunday, she spent three hours in bumper to bumper traffic due to people traveling to locations to see it.

Sandy, hope you and Bob had great views! Those kitties are so lucky to have you as their "mom!"

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 282
    Options

The eclipse occurred while I was at my hair appointment, however, my hairstylist works out of her home so while my color was processing I sat in her backyard wearing the eclipse glasses. We have gorgeous weather here - 60’s and sunny so it was a nice way to spend an hour. And she offered to cut off my hair when chemo starts which I really appreciate. Afterwards I got in my first bike ride of the season. Went 6.5 miles and my right knee started to complain. I think my bike riding will be limited this year but if I can get out I will. I’m hoping I will still have the energy to walk some of the time.

Sandy - hope you enjoyed the eclipse. I had heard the traffic heading toward the path of totality was really bad. Glad you made it safely. My brother lives in the totality zone and said it was completely dark. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the cats.

Blythe - I’m sorry you had to join us but am glad they found the cancer when they did. The side effects of hormone therapy vary from person to person as we each react differently. I took anastrozole for a little over two years. Initially the joint pain was almost intolerable but somewhere around the 4-6 month mark my body started to adjust. I stopped the AI last May for other side effects but am a little sorry I stopped.

Jackie - I hope the new BP machine helps with monitoring your health

Betrayal - so sorry to hear you aren’t quite done with your visits to the surgeon. Hopefully next time will be the last time. Given that your hand is getting better are you still on track for the knee replacement?

Cindy - Margaritaville looks like a fun day out. Your fixit skills are amazing. I wouldn’t even know where to start.

Brother #2 was released from the hospital last Friday and was back in the ER by Saturday afternoon and sent home again. He finally picked up his prescriptions on Sunday. The visiting nurse came today and he has a urologist appointment tomorrow so I’m hoping this is moving in the right direction. Brother #1, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife came for lunch on Saturday. It was wonderful to see them and catch up. DS also was home briefly so I’m caught up on hugs.

Have a good week!

• illinoislady
    Options

Eclipse was interesting here. Dh thought we had missed it, but I knew we had not. So later, I looked out and it was dark as night. Dh went out with the glasses to look — he only got one pair so I saw it on t.v. From the sound of it, I saw a lot more than he did. I did look for some stars in the sky but didn't see any. It was very interesting to say the least.

I doubt I'd ever pay much money to witness an eclipse since I saw it free anyway, but I am glad that I was home and available.

Sandy's kitties are lucky little ones. Likely they could have found good homes but with her they will definitely find their hog's heaven. They sound ever so very ready for a home that provides warmth, a/c and especially real cat food and I bet some wonderful cat treats too. Cats are often fairly adaptable if some of the basics are in place. Like a home that is reasonable. Decent temps, etc. They will scrounge and eat a huge variety of things we'd say were un-acceptable. They have a great survival instinct. Most pets do. They are stoic about their existence which makes it all the more wonderful when someone with a real heart for pets chooses to take them home and love them. They will never have to go back to inadequacy and can be properly spoiled the rest of their lives.

I could say the same of you I know MM. When you find the right one that is hoping for a fantastic person to "find" them.

• chisandy
    Options

I was on letrozole for 6-1/3 yrs. My SEs were weight gain, sore joints (except for knees, which are titanium), thinning hair, dry skin, and high LDL. That required a statin, which in turn raised my a1c to pre diabetic and glucose to T2D levels. I know it’s drug-caused, but that doesn’t make the hyperlipidemia and elevated glucose any less real or by any means temporary, All together now: “at our age, you can’t fix one thing without breaking another…” I didn’t have chemo or a mastectomy, but I did have radiation—albeit the short hi-dose targeted (as opposed to whole-breast) variety. I developed cording & mild lymphedema early on, but the LE specialist termed it “subclinical” and it went away.

The eclipse itself was awesome—the hotel, not so much (‘nuff said here—check the “Dinner” thread for the rant). We found the crowded rooftop party had no chairs nor places to put food or drink (which was NOT free), so we walked around the corner to a little plaza by the beach with cement benches and a totally unobstructed view. At totality, the sky got dark, we could see Venus, the streetlights and office building lights came on, the temp dropped 5 degrees and the seagulls got very, very confused—squawking and not knowing which way to fly. I’m on my iPad right now and not sure how to transfer photos from my phone and save them as JPEGs instead of HEICs (which format is incompatible with this site’s software); so I’ll do that when we get home. I took one shot during totality, and then with the eclipse glasses in front of the camera lens afterwards. The only way the weather could have been better would have been if there were no clouds at all (not even the high patchy cirrus clouds we had), in which case we might have been able to see those long white wispy solar flares.

i-Pass & XM problems solved. I called the Tollway authority today and found that BOTH our transponders had expired. They’re switching to windshield stickers, of which they’re sending us a pair. But because they’re permanently affixed you can’t move them from car to car (apparently, people have been cheating and lending others their transponders); so I will buy an EZ-Pass at the first Ohio Turnpike plaza with cheaper gas prices (heck, they’re ALL cheaper than Chicagoland), for the rest of the drive home and whenever we have to rent a car. EZ-Pass also works at NYC bridges, tunnels, and the LaGuardia & JFK parking lots—everywhere but Florida toll roads (which are a regime unto themselves). As for XM, I confirmed my subscription is active & fully-paid-up, so I will get a refresh signal tomorrow before we hit the road (or at least before we’re stuck having to play radio-dial roulette again).

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

It's been a long time since I was here…just wanted to say hello…I am now 81…23 year survivor.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

Sandy my NYS EZ Pass works down here in FL. It didn’t when we first bought in 2015, but for the last 2 seasons (maybe a calendar year) it’s worked. Previously I had to buy a Sun Pass, which is now in the 2009 Malibu we leave down here. Glad you’re getting the kitties!

Blythe, sorry you’re here but glad it was found early. I took anastrozole for just shy of 5 years. Thinking back I had many SE - joint pain, hot flashes beyond hot, sleep disturbances, brain fog, and more. But at some point you just live with it. It did cause me to go into osteopenia and get put on a bone drug, generic fosamax - a medicine to offset the SE of another med. Let’s just say I don’t miss it.

Sunday we went to the casino for a Blue Grass festival. Really enjoyed a group called Leftover Salmon out of Colorado. One other group was not my cup of tea, good musicians but none of their own songs. But the female lead acted like they were her songs, they weren’t. So I left her singing to go in the casino.

Let’s just say up front, I’m not a gambler just enjoy some slots and even better if I hit. These new computerized slots…I never know what’s what. I win with 3 piggies this time, but next time same piggies and no win. I put in a $20; down to 92 cents I moved machines. Put my ticket for .92 in plus a $10. Up to $15.07 and was throwing in the towel. Walking to find a cashier I see a $1 machine and it looks familiar like the old ones. I sit down and put in my ticket for $15.07. Again, not a gambler so I look around, don’t see much and hit spin. I win. As it’s tallying up the sum, which I couldn’t figure out, I read the small print on the machine. It’s a $1 machine with a $5 minimum bet! I won $164. Took my ticket to cash out, which still had my balance $10.07, then took the money and ran back out. $174.07 total.

Eclipse, here in SWFL I saw nothing because I didn’t have glasses. But I think it was minimal here, no temperature change. On tv it was spectacular to see. Upstate NY was packed, family members had 97-98% eclipse visible from their back yards.

I submitted my taxes today, with the payment date of 4/15/24. Printed out my copy and I’m done for another year.

A gf gave me a beautiful bed set for my niece. It’s a set with embroidered palm trees on it. My niece got to see the comforter while she was here (I put it on the guest bed) and she loved it. So today my gf brought down all the rest - pillow shams, bedskirt, euro pillows & shams and throw pillows. I’ll be trying to put it in those bags that hook up to a vacuum to remove all the air and shrink it down to fit in my car to take it home to NY. I laugh just thinking about it! Euro pillows?!? This should be interesting. I may be sitting on pillows as I drive.

We’ve made plans to go to Key West on the Express boat Wednesday morning. We’re staying over at a Marriott in new town so either Uber or lots of walking to get to old town.

Weather was fantastic today. Although I skipped my walk because it was 77 at 10 AM. I’ll try for a walk tomorrow. Wednesday might get to 89! I don’t like it that hot. It might be in the 70’s at home in NY. Can’t win, so I’ll just roll with it.

Carole, Betrayal, Harley - you’re in my prayers.

• carolehalston
    Options

I watched the eclipse coverage on tv for a while and then switched to something else. It was cloudy here for most of the day. DH and I agreed that you can trust our country to make a commercial event of a natural happening. On the positive side I didn't learn of any mass shooting of eclipse watchers. And I say that sincerely, not with irony.

It's a bit cloudy again this morning and breezy. We have the possibility of really bad storms tomorrow.

I have a list of things to do today if I get around to doing them. I can't vacuum with the upright vacuum cleaner but I thought I might try the hand vac which has tube attachments that allow you to spot vacuum while standing upright.

Also dh saw the shrimp sellers at their spot when he passed by them on Friday. I might drive there and buy some shrimp if they're out, enough for a meal and some extra to freeze.

No appointments this week except hair appointment on Thursday for color and cut. Our former neighbor who met us for lunch yesterday has gone natural and her silvery hair looks cute on her. She's mid-sixties. I started thinking about going natural myself, for the third time. The first two times didn't "take." LOL.

Happy Tuesday to all.

• betrayal
    Options

Harley, based on the results of today's bloodwork will help to determine whether I am on track for knee surgery. I have been anemic since surgery so I will be interested in today's results. I will see PCP on Thursday for follow-up. Thank you for asking.

Hand therapy is going well and I am regaining strength in left hand even though palmar pain persists. Yesterday she really put me through the ropes with new exercises of increasing resistance and last night it was very painful. She used a higher grade of therapy putty which increased the resistance factor for the exercises. It is the donut one that really hurts so I will talk to her about this. Love the wax therapy and could kick myself for throwing mine away in one of my declutter moves. Who knew I would have CTR again and need the machine?

Regan goes to the one on one class tonight. Spoke to the manager of the store who requested Regan's rabies status records and asked him to have the trainer call me. The trainer called and he was upset as I was about this whole episode. He told me that the store will usually pay the vet bill in cases like this. Meanwhile the dog showed no evidence of a bite and the vet only administered an ointment? Trainer said the woman was an issue in his puppy behavior classes because she would not let her puppy socialize with the other puppies. He agreed that she caused the incident by not heeding his warning to keep her dog back and that her dog initiated the dustup by aggressing Regan. We are aware of her reactive history and do all within our power to avoid situations where she is triggered and do not want her or any other dog injured. I guess you could say she suffers from doggy PTSD and we are trying to decrease her anxiety by taking her to one on one classes where she is not triggered.

However, we have encountered those owners who ignore "the dogs must be leashed at all times" signage, insist that their dogs are "friendly" and don't need to be leashed, etc. on out walks with our last dog. They are the "laws don't apply to me" group and no amount of talking to them works. We got used to being verbally abused, given the finger, etc by these people. So we have to be careful where we walk Regan for this reason and avoid a trail we know she would love.

It is sunny, going to be 77 today and it is so unseasonal. The bleeding hearts are not only up but blooming and this is far too early. At this rate they will be gone in less than a month rather than lasting for 2 months or more.

The blue jay is on the suet feeder and up close the colors of their plumage is brilliant. I get both the female and male so noting the differences in plumage is easier. The suet cake is right outside the bay window so you might say I have a "birds eye" view. A grackle was there earlier and its plumage was interesting because I didn't realize how spotted their feathers are.

DS is to bring DGD and DGS to see me tomorrow. It has been awhile since I have seen them and they will bring lunch. DGS just got braces and they are a colorful teal not the "tin grin" my DB had. He's 13 and had to have some baby teeth extracted to permit his second teeth to come in. Looking forward to seeing them and have to give them their belated Easter presents (not candy).

Hope everyone has a great day. Loved the posts by Sandy (we have EZ Pass and transfer it from car to car), cindyny (love your adventures) and carole (share not being able to vacuum).

Chris where are you?

• illinoislady
    Options
  • mavericksmom
    Options

Betrayal, sending Regan ((( good class vibes!))) I agree with everything you said about dog owners and being off lead. My shelties were obedience trained and could walk next to me without a leash, yet I always kept them on leashes unless otherwise stated. That is one concern I have about dog parks, that not all dogs get along well with others. They are individuals just like people and while they may get along well with most, it only takes one to cause an issue. I hope tonight is a good experience for him.

It is gorgeous today, my kind of weather, sunny, warm but not humid! We are having a new storm door put in but I hope to get out for a walk at some point. Still no word on the puppy, so doubt she will be ours. I am sure one will come along eventually. There is an older Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that is available, but apparently they want someone with a fenced in yard to adopt him. I guess he isn't comfortable relieving himself when on a leash. I am not adverse to getting an older dog, preferable five years or younger.

Sandy, glad you got to see the eclipse! We have EZ-pass and we got a notice asking if we still wanted to keep it because we hadn't used it for so long. I know we will be going out to Lancaster to visit family at some point soon so we will use it on the PA turnpike.

• illinoislady
    Options

Hello SOCALLISA…. How great to see you. Congratulations on your 23 ned years. Keep those coming. You likely noticed there are a lot of newer names here — all wonderful people. The thread has stayed much the same save for gaining members. We still thrive with keeping friendly feelings, and lots of encouragement and care when one or the other of us turns up with issues.

To that point, yes indeed Sandy. At this age one malady treated usually does lead to others. Why I cringe any time it seems I may have to "take" something else. Fortunately for me so far nothing much new — just adjustments to meds I've been taking.

I have a hair appt. tomorrow as well as a return to Skin Care to recheck for any other skin spots on me. Had an appt. some time back but didn't have to complete that appt. since I was in recovery for something else. So this one is make-up. I hope there is nothing else going on.

Carole, you are so right. I had not thought of the possibilities with so many people gathering together that there could be a 'mass' bad event. Seems like 'everybody' was more intent on the event rather than choosing to cause any troubles. That is a wonderful thing.

It really was interesting to go black for a short while. This was I think the closest I've been to total darkness with eclipses. It was then something of a surprise to me. I didn't mind that Dh chose to be the outdoor watcher since I could see on tv the actual eclipse. Had I been outside trying to peer through those little glasses I might not have 'noticed' some of the other aspects — like how dark etc.

Betrayal, glad you got to discuss Regan's incident with the trainer. I think some people do take something of a lackadaisical attitude about rules. One should always assume that rules aren't made up as you go along, but are long standing for a reason. One might wonder how did the children of these people turn out if they had any. At least that was my first thought. Also, your description of the other childish people who wish to scoff when you are upset they don't have their dogs on leashes. If we all behaved the same what a world this would be.

Hope you are all going to have a really good day. By the way, congrats on your win Cindy. That's fantastic and it is so smart to walk away after you've 'won' your original investment back and even better if you increased the investment well which you did.

• mavericksmom
    Options

I checked the dog rescue website and they just listed the mom of the pup I wanted, so with Dh's blessing, I applied for her too. It said all of her puppies were adopted, but it still shows she available under my application, so we shall see. Not sure how they do things but because my reference people were not contacted I assume that would likely mean I wasn't chosen for the puppy or they aren't finished with the process. I would prefer the puppy to the mom, but mom is young, three years old, cute and I have the time to put into getting her used to being a pet and not a mill mom. They usually say they are mill moms, but they only said she and her pups were surrendered to them, so not sure what environment she came from. Either way, I have the patience and time for her to feel loved. Crossing my fingers!

Storm door was installed and installer was awesome! Very professional, told us how to take care of the door including things to be sure to do, like make sure it closes all the way as warranty will not cover wind damage!

Illinois, wishing you a good visit with your Skin Care check tomorrow! Nice to also have a hair appointment. I love going to the salon to get my hair colored and cut! I always find it relaxing.

Welcome back, Socallisa! Congrats on the 23 years NED! That is indeed something to celebrate!

Blithe17, welcome. I hope you got some helpful information about the aromatase inhibitors from the members on this forum. I hope you come back often!

• carolehalston
    Options

Congratulations on your casino win, Cindy! Couldn't have happened to a more upbeat person.

SoCalLisa, good to see you! I remember you well. You're a photographer and always posted photos of beautiful flowers. We're the same age.

MM, wish you would get the puppy or the mom. The mom sounds deserving of a good home and she isn't old. I hate the thought of puppy mills. I know a woman who adopted a couple of female Yorkies who had been exploited and not cared for. The owner hadn't even tended to their teeth.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

Today I was able to get out for a walk. First bird I think is a wood stork, then an anhinga who closed its wings as I took the photo. This is a spot where I usually see some turtles up there sunning.

We’re packing minimally for Key West. Vacuum, dust and get it all in order to come back to. I finally got into the guest shower to clean the glass doors to the shower. It’s one of those be careful what you wish for - it was much easier when I used 2 shower curtains.

Hoping you all have a good day.

• betrayal
    Options

Love the photos of the birds. I use a squeegee after each shower to keep my shower doors clean and it works well.

Here are some daffodil photos taken of the hill close to the house. There are different varieties so I hope you can see the pink ones, the ones with fluffy trumpets, the orange tinged trumpets and then the whole hill.

• betrayal
    Options

Some more:

Love to see them in motion where there is a slight breeze. They look so happy.

• socallisa
    Options

What we saw in San DIego

• socallisa
    Options

Loving Spring!!