Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 282
    Options

Sandy & MM - thank you!!!!!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,376
    Options

When we are conscious of being part of a wider universe, we can begin to see that what we do matters. Every action we take has a consequence somewhere, whether good or bad. Everything that happens affects a part of the whole body of life. Having this knowledge of being part of something larger may motivate us to contribute to the greater good in whatever ways we can.    -Sallirae Henderson

• illinoislady
    Options

Got my fingers crossed and ready for the pocket. I do hope things go well Harley. I do know that when I had the CT scan long ago for my broken arm (thinking I would require really serious surgery for it) three other things were found. None turned out to be an issue. In the end I didn't need surgery for the arm either. Not trying to minimize anything, but I do think if we don't have (and few do) regular scans/looks at things, something could have been somewhere for a long, long time and be if not normal for us, not abnormal either. I so hope this is the case.

We age differently and who would know unless you have some occasion for a test. Fingers crossed.

Hoping good weather changes come. We had a cloudy day, not too warm. Went to Marion this morning for my pedi-care. So late getting here. It is trying to rain. Who knows if we will get it or not. Ray's brother and sister got here from Florida to be here for Ray's surgery. It all went pretty well, and the surgeon indicated that she was able to remove an intact large tumor. So, on Monday the results will be in on staging which will determine the after care. I think the Florida brother and sister will stay till at least Monday to get those results. I'm really tired of the gloomy, rainy weather and I'm wishing none of us had it right now.

I have an appt. on the 10th. for blood work. I usually have that about a week before I see my PCP for my yearly check-up.

Puffin, I loved your pictures. I was so startled when I saw that beautiful bird. I had a little gasp. I'm not sure I'd make a good 'birder' for that reason.

I should have made notes so I could do better here. I hope you all had a good day. Thinking about you Betrayal and Taco.

• sheila64_
    sheila64_ Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hello all

On to my 3rd chemo cycle Monday coming, just when you feel a bit better bam its on again 😓I have had one hospitalisation with a temp and have reactions to the chemo while having both infusions each time , I'd love to say hold the last one as I know it is considered so called mop up chemo but would hate to think it came back and I hadn't done it all. One day at a time I suppose. Just want my life back really I think. Then onto radiotherapy……anyway…...going into autumn here in Australia so starting to get colder now.

…Genetic testing…just decided to do the genetic testing as I have 9 granddaughters and although the geneticist thinks my family hx story is low risk, Mum had BC @ 68 living still @91! my cousin BC @ 64 and then 74 again still living, only other cancers are Kidney my sister and Melanoma my brother both still living, Dad deceased@82 from bladder Ca and ? prostate Ca.

I am not really someone who would go with the genetic testing , always said I don't want to know!! but I think I need to rule any genetic links on my side of the family for the girls….

what have others done….

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,157
    edited April 5
    Options

Harley, I am hoping that staging results reveal something positive in regard to chemo and that the pancreatic cyst is benign. I hear you about a 3rd cancer and can understand your concern; as the saying goes, don't borrow trouble but even I have difficulty with that. ((Hugs)). Hope your brother starts taking an interest in his health so you can focus on your own challenges.

cindyny, loved the photos. .Margaritaville.

Puffin, beautiful bird and I look forward to seeing more photos. I hope your friend opts for the African cruise and asks you to accompany her. Birds in Africa are beautiful, too: Rock penguins, flamingos, vultures, storks, Roseate spoonbills, Secretary bird, hornbills, oxpeckers (yes, real name) and lots of plovers plus others I have forgotten.

sheila64, if you are new here, welcome. I am hoping I didn't miss a prior post but this forum moves fast and sometimes faster my memory. I had genetic testing done based on DF having colon cancer, my having both BC and then a precancerous colon polyp that cost me my appendix and 6 inches of my intestine. My RO ordered it and fortunately it was negative but I have a DD and DS that I was concerned about. Now they know their risk is less.

Illinoislady, hope Ray gets good news since they were able to remove entire tumor. Glad family will be there to offer support for him this weekend. Maybe they can talk some sense into him.

Cardiologist office called today and decided I did not need to see cardiologist prior to surgery but nurse asked if I was still experiencing shortness of breath and I am because I am still so deconditioned. I think I am still anemic and feel this is most likely contributing as well. I leave for hand therapy and the office calls as soon as I walk out the door. Call them back and now I need to be seen in late May. I am trying to increase exercise tolerance but it is a slow dance to recovery. Wound drainage from yesterday was more after VN probed opening but I need to get it out so I am glad she did. Just want this to end since wound vac was discontinued just about a month ago.

Regan had a little dustup at training class when trainer stopped to talk to a former trainee and its owner. Regan is reactive to German Shepherds and dogs of that size since she was bit by one as a pup at a dog park. She also doesn't do well with "yippy" dogs since previous owner had several pugs and there was no love lost. Yet, in the one class she bonded with a French bulldog who was very laid back and a small dachshund that she loved.

Trainer has her leash and gets very close to the dog who was hyper and trying to get at her. Other owner moves closer which I was trying to tell them not to do. She did not bite the dog (I had best vantage point and saw entire interaction) but there was body contact by legs. Other dog immediately poops on floor and is yipping at the top of its lungs. Trainer felt dog and it was not wet nor was there evidence of a bite. However, the owner took the dog to vet the next day claiming it had been bitten (she has 2 other dogs at home according to trainer). Got a call from the store about this and was told to expect a call from their risk assessment people.

I am pissed at the trainer because Regan was in the one on one classes because of her reactivity and it was one of our goals to work on. He was aware of her reactivity to pug like dogs and this dog was a Boston terrier/Frenchie mix so why was he trying to introduce her? Of course, we had already signed up for 3 more classes after this one but depending on outcome, may just cancel them. I do not want her stressed and if it means avoiding other dogs altogether, that's fine with us. She loved my son's older mixed breed and they played together in the backyard so she is just sensitive to other reactive dogs.

Seems like when it rains it pours fits here. So between dog and ongoing health issues plus rain just about every day, I am tired of the upsets. We had brilliant sun but cold temps this morning with rain predicted in afternoon and for once the weatherman was not wrong. Hoping tomorrow is better for anyone having issues of any kind.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,150
    Options

Sheil64, I was wondering how you are doing, sorry you still need another round of chemo, but at least you should be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

I had genetic testing because at the time I had breast cancer twice (was diagnosed again two years later in the remaining breast), my mother and two of my three sisters, and one cousin on my mom's side of the family, had breast cancer. My oldest sister had breast cancer and non-Hodgkins lymphoma at the same time and later developed a third cancer, MDS, that sadly took her life. I was tested for over 50 genes, and none were found to be defective. My sisters and I had genetic counseling and they said I should have the testing first because I was pre-menopausal when I was first diagnosed. I did the testing for my children. Sadly my oldest sister passed away before she could have her genes tested. At least I know I couldn't have passed those cancers to my children. My DD has been having mammograms and US every year for about four years now as I was told she should start 10 years prior to when I was first diagnosed.

I highly recommend that anyone going for genetic testing also having the genetic counseling too! I have a Science degree and I still learned so much from the counselor!

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,191
    Options

Harley ((((cyberhugs)))). My DM had Ovarian Cancer in her early 70's and lived to 98.

Puffin, love the pictures

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,855
    Options

Sheila, I wish you the best outcome as you endure treatment.

Harley, thinking of you, too, and hoping for positive outcomes. Both of you, keep us updated.

I saw my plastic surgeon yesterday and his nurse removed a couple of tiny knots on the incisions. The stitching itself is supposed to dissolve. I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks. At that appointment I'm sure they will US the right side of my chest for the fluid collection discovered on Wednesday at the bc surgeon appointment. If it's still there, they'll probably draw it out. Not a happy thought but the nurse assured me it doesn't hurt. I have stopped taking the Tylenol since any discomfort in the pectoral muscles can't really be described as pain. I'm still restricted from lifting my arms high.

I had genetic testing because of family history on my father's side. No problem with my genes, then a few years later I had bc, luck of the draw.

DH just left to play golf with my encouragement. We're having our best weather this week. Sunny, low humidity, comfortable temperatures. Definitely won't last.

For exercise and diversion, I may go to a few stores today and walk around. Risky, I know because I may find something to buy.

Happy Friday to all.

• illinoislady
    Options

One day, after a drawing exercise, one of my students said in amazement,
    "Every time I draw something I fall in love!"  I wasn't surprised to hear this,
    because I know that when we wake up to the world around us in full form,
    with vivid colors, lines, and shapes, we become filled with awe and wonder.
    It is easy to fall in love with the things we've walked past so many times,
    because we realize that the world is offering itself to us like a lover longing
    for our embrace and recognition.  Receiving the universe in all its diversity
    allows us a new self-appreciation, and coming to a level of self-acceptance
    and self-love prepares us to love the world in return.  When this
    awareness lives at our core, celebration becomes a way of life.

Adriana Diaz

• illinoislady
    Options

Happy Morning to all. I'm happy because it is not raining. It is pretty cool though and cloudy. We are under a freeze warning till Saturday. Doesn't surprise me as we were getting pretty nippy at night anyway.

Sheila hugs. I know the feeling of dread. What a huge relief when you are done and all this is stored away in the memory banks only.

I would imagine having genetic testing can also bring some relief. Not only helping us, but helping those we love so much. I did not have it done as the VA does not or at least back in 2007 did not encourage it. That said, I don't think there was all that much in my family tree — at least that was known or talked about. A big surprise to me then to be the ONE and to have had so many incidents. I am fortunate all of it save for one has been quite slow growing.

Had a chuckle over going through stores to window shop/get in walking exercise since you could (accidentally of course) stumble into someone you can't live without. Ah, such is life and some of our worst problems, huh?? I think its wonderful and I've done lots of it and didn't come home with anything unless it was a bag of popcorn to munch on while strolling.

Not much to do today. Ray was up and walking yesterday so it sounds like he is off to a decent start. I think he was surprised himself that he was able to accomplish it. Hopefully some time today they will start giving him some food that is not in the form of liquid and see how that goes for him. I'm sure he is missing food that has some umph to it. Liquids never got me there much.

Harley, Taco Sheila and anyone with issues, I care. Hope all of you have a good day. Sunshine if possible and all good news or at least easily workable.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Just had a 4.8 magnitude earthquake! DH and I were in the living room and didn't know what was happening. It came with what sounded like a loud truck trying to stop and strong line of winds!

Oh, and it came just as I was ready to submit my request to adopt a puppy! I said to my DH, I hope that wasn't an omen to not adopt……..we both agreed, nahhhh! Notified my reference people and also our veterinarian which we haven't seen for years. Not sure when we will know if we will get one of the three puppies, but they just put them up this morning. They don't do a first come first served, but rather they gather applications over a period of time and review those to find the best fit for the puppy.

• twisted steel
    twisted steel Member Posts: 14
    Options

@mavericksmom I felt it here, too, in Delaware. Last summer, a storm came through here with 100+ winds and blew a tree into my roof and bedroom. It sounded like an earthquake or tornado so my 1st thought with the earthquake this morning was, oh no, is a tree falling into my house. Then I realized it was an earthquake! Best of luck with the possibility of a puppy. I happened to have just gotten a puppy when I was diagnosed with BC in 2011, and she was my chemo buddy. She and I are now old ladies, and I still call her my chemo buddy and ride or die!

• carolehalston
    Options

MM and twisted steel, the earthquake was reported on the news while I was working in the kitchen a little while ago. MM, I hope you get the puppy. You seem to be in a good place in your life for adopting a pet.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    Options

Welcome back, Sheila! In your pocket through this round of treatments.

Hey, Mid-Atlantic/Northeast sisters—did you feel the 4.3 quake? In 1993, the immediate coastal part of NYC had a 3.8 (felt it in the floating-barge dining room of Brooklyn's late great River Cafe the night before I moved my mom to FL). I also felt a 4.0 the last time I visited Seattle for my alumni assoc. meeting in '99—was in Pike Place Market and it felt like a boat had slammed into the pier. Having experienced several 3.5-4 pointers when I lived there, I knew instantly. This time the epicenter was in NJ (insert joke here).

I wasn't going to have genetic testing till my first MO appt. after my lumpectomy. (Back then, you saw the GYN first and then the surgeon). My surgeon hadn't asked me about my ethnicity, but in between the lumpectomy and the MO appt., I had read Dr. Susan Love's (z'l") Breast Book and found that my ancestry, despite no known family history, predisposed me to the BRCA mutations; so when I mentioned to my MO I was >99% Ashkenazi Jewish, she immediately sent me downstairs to Medical Genetics. (She's Irish, and said her ancestry predisposed her to the CHEK2 mutation). I tested negative for all known mutations (except "familial Mediterranean Fever," which made no sense until I learned I have 0.2% each Iberian and Greek DNA). When I got my ocular melanoma dx, I had a second round to test for a subvariant of Lynch Syndrome (mutations predisposing to cutaneous melanoma, colon, pancreatic and certain stomach cancers plus "sebacious hyperplasias," which can look like mini-zits or basal cell cancers but often need to be excised & biopsied just in case). Was negative for all of those too (whew). So my sister and niece (whose paternal aunt died of smoking-related lung cancer) didn't have to get tested. Not sure of Bob's true ancestry & medical genetics (his mom had breast cancer at 64, but both his parents lived into their 90s), because he still won't spit into that 23&Me test tube—so I'm not sure about Gordy, whose ancestry is "Heinz 57" (my Ashkenazi, and Bob's mix of Scots, German, Swiss Italian and Peruvian). His medical problems are asthma and "degenerative disc changes" (I feel so guilty that he inherited both from me), and his insurance won't cover genetic testing.

Speaking of science degrees, Bob's PhD is in mammalian genetics. (The shoemaker's kids go barefoot).

Felt somewhat accomplished yesterday. Konmari-ed my bra drawer again and stashed away all my 38 bras. (Panties are next—time to ditch the "droopy drawers"). After nearly a month of angst & agita over Zepbound/Mounjaro shortages and daily nagging of CVS & Walgreens, CVS suddenly texted me "come and get it." I didn't believe it till I had that box in my hand, after the newbie tech once again asked if I was aware of the cost (well, DUH. I have to take a statutorily-mandatory minimum IRA distribution of $14.8K this year, so it's a wash). I was tempted to stash it under my coat en route back to my car, feeling like Smeegle whispering "the Precioussss…" before I buried it in the trunk beneath a pile of shopping bags. It's still the "starter" dose of 2.5mg; for most patients 5mg is the minimum therapeutic dose, but all my docs say as long as I'm slowly losing weight and getting some side effects, to stick with 2.5mg—which I've been on for 10 weeks now.

Then I opened the box of our Chinese-made eclipse glasses. Although the website mentioned the ISO standard, they weren't stamped on the temples and the package insert listed only a bunch of Chinese standards. Put them on and couldn't see anything through them, not even our ceiling light. But just to be safe, I hotfooted it to Warby Parker in Andersonville to pick up some free disposable ones, only to find they'd run out. But they called ahead to their Lakeview branch, which had plenty. I got 2 pair. Alerted my BFFs (who are driving down to Carbondale & back the same day), but they already got them from their state legislator. Also Gordy & Leslie—but Leslie brought 2 pair back from her weekend in Houston; her family is driving down to Austin to watch. Not sure if the kids are staying here or doing an eclipse-chase day trip. Will depend on Gordy's work schedule. (CPS has cancelled classes Mon., so Leslie is off).

Heard about Super 8s canceling booked reservations so they could get $1000/night. Called the Doubletree in Cleveland to make sure our reservations were safe—we prepaid $400, using HiltonHonors points, so they are; we even put our names on the list for the viewing party atop their garage roof. To avoid traffic jams, we're driving there Sunday and going home Tuesday (after visiting the R&R Hall of Fame for the first time in 25 years). Wed. we pick up the kitties—unless their foster mom's still in CA, in which case we can wait another week.

Jackie, I notice Mt. Vernon, IL is in the totality belt. Are you able to drive there from Centralia?

HK's open house is this weekend.

• illinoislady
    Options

Sandy, yes, we could easily drive to Mt. Vernon. It is only about 20 miles to the south of us. It is going to be very crowded, I'm sure. It is a hub center so is in general full of hotels and motels. They do have some of the highest sales taxes of our area. Our one decent (Best Western) brand new motel is going on overflow as well so we will get a little of that tax fall out, but not as high here.

There is a bit more shopping in Mt. Vernon, but nothing outstanding. If you want real shopping, you have to go about 75 miles west of here and get close to the Missouri border. Don't know if we will go see the eclipse or not. Neither of us do well in crowds and we only have a couple of people we even know from Mt. Vernon. If we were younger and in a bit better health likely would be a different story.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    Options

Any parking lot or roadside in Mt. Vernon will give you a good view. You'll have about 1 min. longer totality than Cleveland will.

Got the kitties' medical records from when they were rescued in Jan. Turns out the cause of death for the woman who'd adopted them as kittens was dementia (likely Alzheimer's).. She had been feeding them Cheerios & milk and they had little access to water. Sheri, their foster, has worked wonders.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 282
    Options

Wow - lots going on. Crazy to hear about the earthquake in the NE. Hope all of you are OK. I kind of feel like Mother Nature is mad at us for ruining her beautiful environment and I can’t say I blame her.

It was a good day for me. The rain stopped and the sun came out in the afternoon, DB#2 went home from the hospital and within a hour of completing the MRI, I received the results that the pancreatic cyst is not worrisome and should be scanned again two years. Hugh sigh of relief. As I expect regular CT scans to be a part of my life for the foreseeable future, I’ll need to keep in mind that the older I get the more likely incidentalomas (hopefully benign) will show up.

Sheila - sorry to hear you are on round 3 of chemo - that stinks. I admit I was neutral on the idea of genetic testing when I was diagnosed. However, the surgeon advised ‘we are going to do it’. Since it’s a simple blood test and covered by my insurance I didn’t protest. I am the 3rd generation on my mom’s side with BC, however my only child (son) is adopted. But I was concerned about my brother’s daughter and granddaughters. Testing in December 2020 turned up a RAD51D mutation which I had never heard of. It confers moderate risk increase for breast and ovarian cancer. Recommendation was to remove my ovaries and fallopian tubes. It didn’t seem terribly high risk so I waited until I retired and had them removed last month. Unfortunately I waited a bit too long as ovarian cancer was found in both ovaries, both fallopian tubes and in my pelvis. I’m off to staging surgery next week followed by chemo. I shudder to think what would have happened if I hadn’t had the prophylactic surgery. The GYN Onc said I was 3-6 months away from feeling symptoms at which point I would have been late stage. That said, genetic testing is a very personal decision.

Petite - thanks for the uplifting words. It’s much appreciated.

MM & Sandy - looking forward to seeing pictures of your new furbabies.

Enjoy the weekend.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

Last couple of years I’ve just left my amaryllis in the pot and stuck it outside along my front walkway. Much to my surprise I noticed it had grew fast, and had a bud. Today it was bloomed! Loved that surprise.

Earthquake felt in upstate NY. Gfs all had varying degrees of movement. My sister slept through it.

MM- Monticello, I’ll check out Millers! Not sure I’ll make it to the book store but you never know. Share a picture if you get a new puppy!

Harley, 4/10 will be here be soon, you’re in my prayers and we’ll all be in your pocket. And great news that the cyst is benign.

Sheila, I did genetic testing and no markers showed up. I had a gf do it and she had markers show up for pancreatic and colon cancer. Her testing gave her more worries. It’s one of those - at least you know, or you could live without knowing. I agree with Carole, luck of the draw on who gets cancer; I call it a crap shoot.

Sandy, I’m 80% Irish and didn’t know about CHEK2 mutation. All my paperwork from genetic testing is in NY, I’ll have to check once I’m home. Unsure if it was even one looked for. Great news on your new kitties!

Eclipse - Florida isn’t ideal to see it. But upstate NY is packed with people eager to see it.

Margaritaville was packed yesterday. We took the trolly over, made the trip very easy. We were able to check into my nieces room, and got our wrist bands for the pool area. Changed in the room and hit the pool to find them. It was a lot of fun but crowded and noisy with a DJ. I’m getting old. HAHA! It’s extremely expensive, which I suppose is expected. One Pina colada $17.50 although a cabana renting family of 6 near us ran their bill up over $3,200! I’m glad we got to experience it without paying $65 a person.

At the pool yesterday.

One of the cabanas.

Hope you all have a great Saturday! I’ll be up at 3 AM to take family to the airport. Hoping to be asleep again by 4 AM. We’ll be out of whack the rest of the day. Such is life!

• illinoislady
    Options

Joy is what we are, not what we must get.
    Joy is the realization that all we want or need in life
    has been etched into our souls.
    Joy helps us see not what we are "going through,"
    but what we are "growing to"--a greater sense of
    understanding, accomplishment, and enlightenment.
    Joy reveals to us the calm at the end of the storm,
    the peace that surpasses the momentary happiness of pleasure.
    If we keep our minds centered on joy, joy becomes a state of mind.

Iyanla Vanzant

• illinoislady
    Options

Cindy, what great pictures. I especially loved the flower since I'm a heavy-duty nature lover. Hmmm, $17.50 for a drink — would definitely keep me quite sober.

As to earthquakes — having lived in southern California for 25 yrs. I got quite used to them. I well recall the first one though. In bed at the time in my nightgown. The bed kept hitting the wall and we lived in an upstairs apt. All I could think was the bed was going to fall out of the building and my naked derriere would be shining out of my nightgown for the world at large to witness. That was my worst fright — not the earthquake itself. Later when it was over was when I actually got shook about the quake. After the first one I realized 'events' happen everywhere and the Calif. coast was known for earthquakes so I may not have liked it, but they became a fact of life which I got through w/o much discomfort.

Harley I'm so glad to hear your spot was B-9 and un-troublesome. It does seem a fact somewhat as age advances that more quirks, spots, little knots and un-expected things show up in testing. Here's hoping they all turn out to be nothing burgers. Definitely you will have full pockets for your up-coming surgery.

It's a sunny Saturday here and hoping we get some returning warmth. I don't see a lot of air movement outside so likely its possible. Weather guy says Monday we will definitely be warmer. Cindy, hope you get a lot more rest today.

No special plans. I'll take the day as it comes and be grateful for the sun.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

I forgot to tell you of our week -
    1: our printer died, as I was trying to print my nieces taxes. We had to get a new printer the following day. Printer $39; ink $33. Took forever to install & sync.
    2: partner couldn’t make his morning coffee. Keurig stopped working.
    3: he then went to the cappuccino maker and couldn’t get it to work. It was crushing the little pod but not working. I was able to get it working so he had his morning caffeine.

Then I went to work on the Keurig. I soaked the water reservoir with warm water & vinegar. Ignored it for 1/2 an hour, then drained it with a straw pushing on the bottom piece. Scrubbed it out, refilled it and presto it was working correctly again. I made him a cup of coffee. As I went to the refrigerator for milk, for the coffee, I saw the refrigerator water filter light was on “red” - time to replace the filter.

Gave him his miracle coffee and went to change the filter. As I got down in the floor, yup it’s in the kick plate/grill of the refrigerator (which I’ll never recommend), I couldn’t get the old filter out.

I remembered the door to the filter all came apart as I put in the last filter. I had no idea what was happening with it and just pushed the filter in. WELL the parts that fell out are needed to get the filter out. Too late for me. I had to google this that and the other; found one that said I needed a “big ass” vise grip to pull it out gently. I don’t have a full complement of tools down here. So I removed the grill from the bottom and inspected it, tried a few times to get the part in to get the filter out. No go.

Yesterday I saw our friend/neighbor and handyman out by his garage and asked him to borrow a “big ass” vise grip. He wanted to come take a look at why I needed it. Next thing you know he’s got tools, I’ve turned off the circuit breaker to the fridge and the water off under the sink. The two of us laying on the hard tile floor attempting to get the filter out. The unit the filter goes into, we unscrewed it and pulled it out as far as it would go so we’d get a better look. Clamp, vise grip - he actually moved the entire refrigerator by just pulling on the filter. I thought I’d have to live with a dirty filter; he thought I’d have to call a refrigerator repairman.

Last resort was a flat head screwdriver around the edges of it. It seemed to wiggle a bit. Vise grip and a good yank, it came out. Seriously 45-60 minutes of work. We put the filter door assembly back together as it should be, and got the new filter in. Had to screw in the unit that holds it; reconnect everything else we had undone and test it. Water back on, circuit breaker back on too.

I can report that water flowed freely, and noting leaked below where we poked and prodded at everything. Somehow the filter reset to green - usually you have to do it manually by pressing a button inside the refrigerator. I remembered last night after a party to run lots of water through it to flush out the filter itself. All is good as I key this.

We were all at an anniversary party last night, I told him he can add refrigerator repairman to his resume. He had said this filter being stuck was his first. I just laughed, it’s my house…a Murthy’s law of what can go wrong, will go wrong.

Another party goer said it was mercury in retrograde. HA! I hope it’s done with me now.

• carolehalston
    Options

Cindy, you're amazing! Enjoyed your saga about things breaking and you fixing them. With the Keurig, you have to remember to run water through it a few times ever so often, with no pod in place. We have a single cup Keurig here at home and one in MN at the camper, but we seldom use them. I make a pot of coffee in the morning. DH drinks 2 mugs. I drink 3 plus, black. Dark roast coffee. I have a little machine for making cappuccino that is currently stowed in a cabinet. You're making me want to get it out and use it.

We're having another incredibly gorgeous day. I went for my longest walk so far post surgery. About 36 minutes. It's such a pleasure to look at the blooming plants in yards. There was one house with a bed of irises. Another house with a Peggy Martin climbing rose full of small pink flowers. The knockout roses are truly a knockout at this time of year. Most are red, like the ones in my yard, but I saw some deep pink ones, too.

I am missing some Saturday cooking shows on pbs today because that channel isn't playing. I have them set up to record but those recordings will be a blank screen.

Wishing everyone an enjoyable day.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Carole, awesome about your walk and nice imagery of the flowers! I agree, seeing flowers in bloom is such a wonderful reminder of the good things in the world!

Cindy, I agree with everything Carole said! You are amazing! BTW, the Blue Whale book store is a few stores down from Millers, if I recall correctly.

I don't think we will be getting a puppy. The two males in the litter were already adopted and no one contacted either of my references so doubtful we will get the female. 😔 But, I am happy that my DH was on board with getting a puppy. If we are meant to have one, then it will happen eventually.

I think our age is a disadvantage. I believe they want young families to adopt puppies and only want to allow seniors to adopt older dogs, which sadly, usually come with issues.

• illinoislady
    Options

Carole, I felt almost like I got to walk with you. Spring almost always guarantees a pleasant experience. Everything that is a green color is the fresh green color that comes after a winter's rest and gorgeous blooms and flowers. I almost can't imagine mornings w/o coffee. I use to drink only black coffee but have started using Kalua creamer. In just the right amt. it is easier on the stomach these days while still allowing me a lot of 'coffee' flavor.

Cindy you truly are an absolute determined whiz at seeing things operate in your house. My mother was that sort, but I just never took well to it. My mom could put new wires on things, apply siding to the house and helped my dad put on roofs. In summer she sanded down all our wood floors at my grade school and revarnished them. She could build outdoor fires as well as fires in coal furnaces and stoves. She was also the one who hunted in the winter wild rabbits and squirrels to supplement our meat supply. She could change a tire is need to as well. In my younger days I could do a few things but it wasn't much and generally because my Dh at the he time was more hopeless than me. Good for you.

Sorry about the puppy MM. Families with kids might be taken first on a list as we old people have had dogs a great part of our life. It must be a truly wonderful thrill to see a child gets their first pet. At least, I hope that had something to do with it.

I tend to be fine with older dogs but then I'm a rescuer and I accept their issues if they will accept mine. I just want to give them a good life and let them know peace and quiet with lots of love and attention (if wanted or needed) while they finish their aging process. I do think it is not for all though. I'm just so used to doing things that way for cats.

We have thought a time or two we might be ready, but didn't pursue it so guess we aren't there quite yet.

• mavericksmom
    Options

illinois, I guess I should have clarified why I don't want an older dog if it comes with issues. It depends on the issues. One dog, a sweet looking cocker spaniel, has a heart murmur and is going blind. The heart murmur is not a deal breaker, but the blindness is in my situation. Many of the dogs they have require fenced in yards, and mine is not, or need the applicant to have another confident dog at home to help the dog learn to be a pet and member of a household.

I am definitely not opposed to getting a dog who is about 5 years old, but it would need to be a good fit for both me and my husband. There are few puppies/dogs that interest my husband and I won't get a pet without him being 100% on board.

I suspect the female puppy is still pictured on the website because she needs to be spayed and they need to do that prior to her going into a home.

One thing that bothers me with this organization is that they neuter or spay puppies as young as three months old and I feel they shouldn't be spayed/neutered until they are six months to a year. I understand, they don't want to take the word of people that they will neuter their pet, especially those who are purebred, so they want to have it done prior to adoption, but I wonder if that is harmful to the puppy? I might stop ask the veterinarian who took care of our dogs.

Again, if we are meant to have a pet, one will come our way.

• illinoislady
    Options

Simply give others a bit of yourself:  a thoughtful act, a helpful idea, a word of appreciation, a lift over a rough spot, a sense of understanding, a timely suggestion.  You take something out of your mind, garnished in kindness out of your heart, and put it into the other person's mind and heart.

Charles H. Burr

• illinoislady
    Options

Oh, it is beautiful and sunny again and hopefully the temps. will again be okay. Yesterday no wind so the cooler temps were not so noticeable.

MM, it is okay. I knew pretty much what you meant. We had so many situations where we were begged to take in animals for long periods all the while as we tried to resist, as we always had one too many for comfort. Upon finally relenting out of concern we would immediately fall in love no matter the condition of the animals. Now at our age and physical condition we do need an older dog (not too energetic as we have slowed so much) and much smaller so we can lift them if they need to go to the vet and can't walk well. Just requirements that for us would make a huge difference at this stage in life.

We feel fortunate that not many have come our way, just three or four in the last few years. We by, the way, don't have fences either or even an outside dog pen anymore. We used to keep a pen but it sat empty for so long since all our dogs come inside, so we did away with it in favor of not having to do extra outdoor (weed-eating etc.) yard work.

I'm with you on the spay/neuter age situation. A lot of the vets around here seem fine with doing it on the early side but I've never been totally comfortable with it whether dog or cat. I do think if you have/know the age of the pet for sure, right before the first heat is the perfect time or any time after. Just seems to me that the organs may be immature and hormone balances interfered with in some way. Just my personal feeling as I don't have any medical information to back it up. I just don't like it. That said, I have seen (how so many pets got to my house in the first place) far too many pets that DIDN'T get the operations they should have had to stop the birth cycles. That also contributes to the homeless populations that live such iffy existences. If fortunate, some good and beautiful soul will be willing to bring decent food and water every day to places where the homeless animals gather. I guess there are many reasons why — like not enough money, or just too lazy, or it's a purebred, but it is a real negative for the pet if they become un-wanted or owners die, and the family do not feel responsive to the family pet. You are right — you will find someone, or they will find you if it is to be.

No special plans for the day — maybe just a few extra things in my bedroom and likely some chicken to cook for dinner later on. Maybe some laundry and can get bills ready to pay.

Hope everyone has a fantastic Sunday.

• shanagirl
    shanagirl Member Posts: 346
    Options

@mavericksmom Hi Pam😊 It’s wonderful you are adopting a dog. Not everyone is cut out to open their home to a senior rescue., they do come with issues. I used to be involved with MId Atlantic Great Dane Rescue as a foster mom for incoming orphans.There were some of us who would only take Seniors because they are so good and loving and steady. But this is not for everyone who adopts because of their physical limitations and short lifespan. My daughter went to a local rescue center and picked out a puppy and went through an approval procedure for a week, than she got her baby. He’s 8 now, but he was one of a litter rescued from Puerto Rico, where dogs are dumped off on the beach. He’s a beautiful beautiful and a nice dog. It’s not always easy to contact rescue organizations online because there is such a vigorous Adoption process and waiting period, however many organizations have adoption days held at Petco & Petsmart, and you can meet the dogs right there…..my Dh and I used to do this with our “ambassador Great Dane.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,157
    Options

MM, good luck with finding the dog of your dreams. Most pets adopted through recues are spayed or neutered by 3 months. When we bought our one dog from a vet she recommended spaying at 6 months or after first cycle, nowadays they do it much sooner. Regan was not spayed when we adopted her at age 2 and due to this she had enlarged mammary glands which shrunk slowly once she was spayed. Spaying is expensive, too.

Illinoislady, we do not have a fenced in yard and use a long lead to let Regan into the backyard. All of our other dogs stayed in the yard (one would visit the neighbor behind us on occasion when young) and were trained to remain behind our decorative rail fencing near the road. One dog would hang her head on the rail which made us laugh. The fencing is about 25 feet from the road. We are hoping to get Regan to the point where she doesn't require the long lead, too.

Most of our dogs have been female because we found them less likely to want to stray and except for Regan, be less aggressive/reactive. Regan's issues date to being bit at an early age in a dog park by a German Shepherd. Then to compound this she lived with a large number of pugs. My niece loves pugs and they seem to have type A personalities. I think Regan took issue with those in her residence when they aggressed her. Yet she has interacted well with a laid back Frenchie and a dachshund, so it depends much on the temperament of the other dog.

Cindyny, I admire your fix it skills and your lifestyle. You seem to constantly be on the move exploring new sites and adventures. Loved the photos.

Carole, glad your recovery has been easy for you.

Sandy, I hope you get a great view of the eclipse. I hope those new "kitties" will be waiting for you on your return and you will soon have the pitter patter of cat feet again.

What happened to cardplayer? She hasn't posted for awhile.

Waving hello to Taco, petite1, and any others I have missed. ((Hugs)) to harley.

Sunny today with temps in the 50's right now. Yesterday was so gusty but today it is just a low breeze. Put out another suet cake because the birds decimated the leftover piece of the one and the new one I had put out. This one is already well-pecked. The cardinals have now discovered it as well as the finches, sparrows, blue birds, the wren and blue jays. Fun to watch them swing on it. Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Shanagirl, thanks! I have been thinking about you! I actually got our last dog at a rescue holding an event at Petsmart. We had a large black lab, bought from a breeder active in Harrisburg Dog Club. He was wonderful, sweetest dog ever, but nervous if we left to go anywhere.

I went to PetSmart to get biscuits for Maverick and there was a woman holding a fuzzy little dog. I asked if it was available and she said no, that it was being adopted. Then I saw another woman holding a chihuahua mix and she said that dog was still available. At the time I remember thinking I was never a "chihuahua person." but when she asked if I wanted to hold her, I said yes. Lucy immediately snuggled up under my chin. That was it, I was in love with her. I called Dh and he came up with our lab who immediately laid down and bonded with her. We always said Maverick was our dog and Lucy was Maverick's dog! LOL Best two dogs ever!