Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of birdies, I am SO sorry I did not carry my camera to Stumpy Point today. These were true Natgeo birdie pix to be had. imean blue herons in the tress-red tail hawks you name it-I was so bummed but did not take camera cause i thought i'd be in civilization of a sort-may have to do a return trip with camera!! And I know I stil have orders to fill for gals! everything shuts down in the winter here-stopped by my art dude to get multi color mattes to finish my projects and very late gifts to all-but he was closed!! I am out of the matte colors I want to make double mattes with oval windows-so sorry slogging along but will get there!! And i have puppy fever so bad!! Took Angus to my vet today and he had a new black lab puppy that was divine!! Oh I just love puppy breath!! The pup (Rock) just curled up in my arms and I melted. I want a new puppy!!!!!! Love to all-i didn't get to all posts and am praying for relief for those in pain and those having to go thru testing, etc. Wierd things are happenings with my BC boob-OK for real-has anybody has stuff still popping out of their scars-I mean like string and plastic things??? What is up with that?? I will try to pay more attention to other people stuff-but down with infections and taking Cipro, Acyclovar, and something for skin candida infections-GRRRR!! So don't have a lot of energy and not sleeping-just worrying a lot! Big Hugs, SV
  • Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited February 2011

Sorry for your worry, SV. I'm sure the disappointment about the cottage doesn't help.

I have a question...  had a mammogram on Friday.and now my bc boob is swollen, (pretty significant swelling with some discomfort, no other symptoms). The radiology doc said the mammo looked unusually different from the last one a year ago. Then was when they found a necrotic cyst in the scar tissue and after it was aspirated the site turned red and a punch biopsy was neg. the BS said she thought I might have a little lymphedema in there, only it hasn't really bothered me unless I bumped it or laid on it. It has hurt practically everyday since they did the lumpectomy and rads and I just don't understand what this swelling is about. I had no nodes removed AND its going on 4 years now. Could a mammo cause swelling?

~Connie

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited February 2011

Connie,

Every time I have a mammogram (and I am now 2 years post DX) my previously radiated breast "flares" up and acts like it did during  my radiation therapy. It swells a little and gets red. The other breast does nothing odd. A technician said it  was something like radiation recall (?), maybe her words. My radiated breast has been fuller and larger than my untreated breast all along and I sure  don't need anything that makes it bigger!

I hope this is a temporary effect for you and not a sign of something significant. We always worry though. Hugs.

Pam 

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited February 2011

SV, no I don't have anything coming out of my scars. However my son had an abscess form around old suture material 13 years after the original surgery as a baby. After three more surgeries and blockages plus peritonitis he is okay. Except he was told to always live near a major medical center.  I don't have any advice except I personally might go to another breast surgeon who is not in the same practice to check this out. Get it checked out!

I had great blue herons in a creek behind our Illinois house and I loved watching them take off and land as their wings folded out and in like a bird ballet.  My favorites though were the red winged balckbirds as they worked together through out the spring summer and fall. Twice we saw them chase of hawks as a group. What was a shime though was the cowbirds laying eggs in their nests and them having to feed too many babies with the gow birds being bigger and earlier to hatch.  I miss my birds. 

• pj12
    edited February 2011

Gingerbrew,

It's true, the cowbirds are a curse! We used to have painted buntings but their numbers are declining everywhere due to cowbirds dropping eggs in the bunting's nests and upsetting the natural order of things. Someone was looking for a term for deadbeat parents who have children and aren't around to raise them and the name "cowbirds" was suggested.  A really derogatory term! Our bird population has gone done dramatically. Used to have red wing blackbirds but never see one anymore. Even fewer mocking birds and blue jays, for heaven's sake. We have lots of feral cats so that hurts. Our most common guys are cardinals and they seem to be making it. We used to have lots of kestrels but hardly ever see one anymore. :(

We still have plenty of wading birds, herons and egrets, and ducks in the winter.  We have hooded mergansers right now and they are beautiful. Great fishermen!

Pam 

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    edited February 2011

SV - sorry the cottage turned out to be a disaster.  Keep looking, there is the right place for you and it will turn up.  In the meantime, just take care of yourself and have the issue with the foreign objects that are coming out of your scar checked out.  Love you girl and want you to take care of yourself.  Birdie pictures can wait until you are better.  I am sure all the others agree.   Here is a puppy for your puppy fix.  This is my Daisy the Dog when she was a puppy.

Daisy the dog as a puppy

Hope everyone has a restful evening and is staying safe and warm or enjoying your warm weather enought for all of us that are still freezing.

Joy and blessings, Amy Jo 

• Elisimo
    edited February 2011

Daisy as a young dog

This is Daisy as a young adult dog.

Daisy the Dog as an Old Lady

This is my Daisy the Dog as the Old Lady she is today.  She is still my "Baby girl."

• Unknown
    edited February 2011

Better watch, it AmyJo before you turn into a picture posting fool like me....it's sort of addictive, isn't it and so nice to be able to do it after trying and failing so many times before. Seriously though, you are doing a great job and Daisy is such a cute subject.  I can't post any pics tonight because I am still at my dad's and this computer doesn't have any pics loaded into it. I went to see the King's Speech again today with my father because I knew he would like it and about the only time he ever gets to a movie is with me.  No snow here and it's actually quite warm (low 40s) so I am not anticipating any bad weather tomorrow morning and will just drive home then.  I am pooped so am going to bed now....no SuperBowl on here...I could care less and my father only likes college football.  Good night Ladies....see you next week.  

• Elisimo
    edited February 2011

This one is for all of you still burried in the snow.  Here is a project that makes good use of all the mountains of frozen snow.  I got this in an email at one time, Don't remember who sent it to me, but I liked it and saved it to share later.  I think it was shortly after the 9/11 attack.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2011

WOW is all I can say--WOW

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited February 2011

What a powerful picture, AmyJo!! Thank you for sharing!

hugs ~ suzie

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2011
    WOW-THANKS AMYJO!! Puts much into perspective. And Daisy is just the cutest thing EVER!! I am not one for small dogs, but this one is an old soul!! Darling as a puppy and still cute as a grownup!! And I SO want to see the King's Speech!! But where I live, I have to wait for it to come out on disc. We have one movie theatre and it costs a small fortune to go there!! Connie, please get your breast checked-that sounds so odd to me. Did you get the digital mammo or the one that 'pancakes you between two steel plates developed by the Nazi's.' If you got squash, you might injured. Worried about ya gal!! And Isabella, I am trying to find out where you posted pix-I got your darling one of you on my FB page-am i missing something?? God, we had such a gorgeous day today and I slept al day!! My Angus is doing great!! he just got his staples out of his leg and his little puppy brain is far ahead of his leg-he thinks he is super puppy and ready to run about-he is still on leash duty and worst news is that the vet told me he won't be albe to get onto the beach for a very long time, if ever! My poor little guy-still, Chris (my vet) is really pleased with the way his leg is healing. WOO-WOO!! Love you all-anybody got anything coming up-tests, etc. I want to give support but just cannot read thru all of the posts. i still keep falling asleep-Vit D has not kicked in I guess so i am taking the easier softer road.. Hope everyone doing ok!!!! XXOO, SV
  • 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited February 2011

been reading for awhile, so i can catch up to all you ladies. have very much overdone myself this past week. cleaned rugs, cleaned yard, and dida workshop on alternative health for bc this weekend.

no new news there, but got many of the supplements i do take gotten the ok for from the big wigs.. enjoyed it, but sat far too long.. my LE is screaming tonight!! i'll letcha all know if i get any results 2 morrow.. night

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited February 2011

{{{3JAYS}}} Hoping for great results!!!

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2011

sending you a big hug 3jays!

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2011

Gees, we are amazing women-no matter the condition we are in, we still give it our all. Big hugs (((((3jz)))) rest and heal!! XXOO, SV

• Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited February 2011

Called my PCP for a referral and they insist on me seeing or calling the BS. so I did, left a message and I know they are going to say, come in and see BS before referral and that's not what I want to do. WHY can't they just do what WE ask? I already have appt with my GYN for tomorrow, maybe he will check it and refer me, I like him better than any of my other doctors.

I'd like to give BS my ALL. Tell her all the reasons I don't want to see her again. But the Lady part of me doesn't really want to do that. Not fond of confrontations, prefer to walk the other way.

Connie

• susgul
    susgul Member Posts: 104
    edited February 2011
    I'm just thrilled!  Got all my labs back from the cancer center and they are great.  Of course I was on pins and needles about the tumor markers, but they were 10 and 1.4. So relieved!
  • barbaraa
    edited February 2011

{{{SUSGUL}}} doin' the happy dance with you!!

• Elisimo
    edited February 2011

{{{{susgul}}}} joining in on the happy dance with you!!! 

Connie - Here is a prayer that the GYN will give you the referral and that you will not have to see the BS again.  

SV - glad you are finally taking care of yourself and getting some much needed rest.  Keep it up and you will soon have a better outlook on a lot of things.

BarbaraA - How are you doing? Miss reading about what you are up to now that you are back from your fabulous cruize.  Love you.

I am taking it easy this week to get ready for the rads to start next week.  Only have 1 thing planned for every other day. 

• suzie14
    edited February 2011
    amyjo....hugs and prayers coming your way..........
  • barbaraa
    edited February 2011

AJ, not so hot. My brother went to ER Wed. with what we thought was pneumonia and the doc (his caridac surgeon who put his stents in) said he was feeling so rottne because his heart was racing. He RX'd meds for that. By Sat., my bro was wheezing BAD. I told him and Mom I was dragging his a$$ to the ER Sun. AM if he wasn't better. Sun AM, ER. Sun night, (unbeknownst to me) CAT scan, emergency surgery for a huge infection mass in his neck. Now they think it is flesh-eating bacteria. Won't know til tomorrow. He is on a ventilator and unconscious. Wow. Really sucks. Prayers needed. Very scared for him.

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited February 2011

Barb you, your brother and the rest of your family have my prayers. I pray that whatever the infection is they stop it in its tracks and he heals rapidly.  Aand peace and a relief of stress for you.

• suzie14
    edited February 2011

Barbara...prrayers and healing light for your brother...what a scary diagnosis......suzie

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2011

susgal- YEAH!!!!!! How cool is that:)

barbaraA- you and your family are in my family's prayers.

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited February 2011

Barb, you and your family are in my prayers too.

Kathy

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited February 2011

Barbara, sending prayers and bug hugs.

• pj12
    edited February 2011

It is so hard to see a loved one in trouble. Hugs and strength to you, Barbara, and healing prayers for your brother.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    edited February 2011

Barbara - I am so sorry to hear that! What a horrible thing to happen - I'm so thankful you grabbed the bull by the horns and got him back in there. Prayers for your brother's recovery and to you and your family. I hope it is not flesh-eating bacteria!  (((Barb & brother)))

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited February 2011

Susgul.....Yeah!!!! way to go!!!!!

BarbA......prayers for your brother coming your way.  ((((((hugs)))))) for you.