Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited April 2009

Wow, Susan, you sure have been through the ringer.  What a brave fighter you have been, I am in awe of you and hope that you see nothing but wonderful days ahead.  I envy you that you can stay home with your grand and your mom - I would love to.  My mom is 85, and very healthy, so seeing me, her daughter going through this, is extremely hard on her.  We have had absolutely no cancer at all in the family - ever.  I am the first (and I hope the last).

Linda

• lrm216
    edited April 2009

Thanks, Jo-5 - it's an honor and pleasure to have met you fine, fine sisters.

Linda

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited April 2009

Pam and Allison - Just wanted to chime in with what Linda said!  You are an inspiration!  It would only take one bad scan for any of us.  And who knows when?

So, please, stay with us and give us pleasure of your company.

Susan

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited April 2009

Hello To All You Beautiful Ladies:

I will truly miss you each and everyone. You each are very special. I thank you each one from the bottom of my heart for all your kindness and support, some days I don't know what I would have done if I couldn't get on this thread, and find out that I wasn't the only one with troubles,

I believe we all have to have a positive attitude, and believe in Jesus Christ. He can pull us through when no one else can.

I know this is my last post for about three weeks, so I want to especially thank a few ladies who have given me moral support.

JO-5 : You have really been a blessing.

Marie67, ritajean, mzmiller99, Gramof3, Marie67, Illinoislady,Makita, and all the rest of you lovet ladies: Thanks for all your prayers and support. I pray God will bless you each and everyone, and I hope and pray He heals each one of your bodies.

I will say hello in about three weeks, and let you all know how things are going.

God be with you all!

• amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited April 2009

Mother of 7,

Have a great trip and a fun time.  Yes, take pics and let us know how it was when you get back.

Things are good here today.  More unpacking.  Robert is home so we will be off doing errands and moving furniture.  

Have a great day everyone.

Hugs, and happy trails.

PamW1

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258
    edited April 2009

And God forever be with you and yours Mother of 7. 

Hi everyone....just stopping in for a bit and a big warm welcome and hi to Linda and Allison.  Glad you are here.  As to being too old for chemo or whatever txs......I think so much just depends not only on age, although I think often the older you are, the slower some cancers grow, but as well probably the over-all condition a person is in and even the 'general wishes' of what the person might want.  Some people would rather have quality rather than quantity....so this older person's Dr. may have picked up on that.   I don't think anyone is too old when the rest of their health is fairly good and they want to take positive steps to get as well as they can.  But the Dr's know what you can tolerate at what age for the most part.

Sad news yesterday...my first cousin Len passed away from his esophageal cancer.  We got our diagnosis almost together.  His sister called to tell me he had it and I in turn explained to her that I had just been diagnosed with bc.  I was diagnosed in September 2007 ---  so Len and I did a lot of chemo together though his was much more extensive in many ways....had to shrink his tumor way down before they could operate.   I will really miss him though we had not been nearly as close in adult life ( families,kids, living in different states, etc. ) as we were growing up as kids.  Len was only about 15 months older than me.....strong Christian man, Welcomed into Heaven on the Apr. 23rd. 

I'll be back later if I can, so much to do today....so I've got to get running.  See you all.

Hugs,

Jackie

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited April 2009

Jackie....so sorry to hear about your cousin.  Hugs!

• lrm216
    edited April 2009

Sincere condolences to you Illinois Lady.  I can relate as that is what I lost my husband to 21 years ago.  He was only 45. It was torturous how he suffered.   Also, thanks for  the welcome.  Glad to have found this thread.

Linda

• donsuzbee
    donsuzbee Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2009

LRM - You are another Georgian? I live in Woodstock. Check out the "get together" page on this website. The TN, GA and So Carolina girls are going to get together in May. Perhaps we can hook up.

God bless!

Susan B.

• illinoislady
    edited April 2009

Hi all....just stopping in to say a few words.  Just back from the wake.  I thought it would be difficult and that I would not hold up well, but Len went down so fast --- ned up until 3 months ago and while they knew that it had gotten into the lymph system...the dr. felt he had a fair amt. of time so all were surprised.  Guess it was lurking in his lungs just waiting to explode and without much warning it did.  Still, he had lost so much weight that it only barely looked liked him and so I got through w/o a major upset.  Funeral tomorrow so I won't be much on here then but I do really thank you Rita and Linda....your condolences do give me a feeling of peace from the hurt I am feeling. 

Hugs,

Jackie

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited April 2009

Hugs and Blessings for all,especially Jackie as  you mourn the death of Len.   Restful sleep and pleasant dreams,   Nancy

• amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited April 2009

Hi Laides,

Good day today?  Hope so.

Jackie, I never am quite sure what to say when someone looses a member of their families.  It can be difficult or they may be happy to see them go.  It sounds like the loss of your cousin is painful for you.  Then I pray for you to have less pain and to remember the good times you had when you were younger. It is hard, I know, I lost my niece to uterine cancer this year. May your cousin rest in peace.

Another quiet day here.  Just laundry and putting more books away and cleaning.  I like quiet days even when I have cleaning to do.  I think we all have enough of the hectic days that cause nothing but fear so the quiet ones become holy.  

Arimidex still seems to be working.  Tumors still reducing in size. Sugar cravings still winning more then I want them to. Sigh.

Have a good one ladies.

Hugs,

Pam

• Cheyanne
    Cheyanne Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2009

I work for a group practice of 3 pathologists.  Wife of one of them came to visit me today and bring food.  We talked about further treatment.  She has not had cancer but she knows about this holistic physician whom she has consulted about other matters.  She thinks I should see him.  Does anybody have any experience with something like this?  I am willing to listen.  So I told her, go ahead and send me his name, I'll see.  She says her husband doesn't think much of this idea so don't discuss it with him.  But I've already learned not to take medical advice from a pathologist.

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010

Pam ..I'll be thinking of you on Tues. Praying for a good report.

Jackie...sorry about your cousin...it's so hard to lose family and friends to this disease. I've lost  too many myself. 

Have a good week everyone. Maire

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010

Pam ..I'll be thinking of you on Tues. Praying for a good report.

Jackie...sorry about your cousin...it's so hard to lose family and friends to this disease. I've lost  too many myself. 

Have a good week everyone. Maire

• lrm216
    edited April 2009

DonSuzBee - wow, that's great.  I will definitely check it out.  I beging my chemo AC+T on this thursday, so providing I live through it - would love to meet you all.  Thanks.

Linda 

• illinoislady
    edited April 2009

Home again from Johnson City and 3 hours of work to catch up on...a couple of calls I haven't made and a couple of emails that are going begging for the moment.  Still want to thank you all for your kinds words.  Once again I surprised myself that I got through w/o much upset  --- maybe I am more accepting since having had cancer myself.  I will never be happy at the losses of loved ones, but not spending hours in tears and upset is new to me ---  maybe this is how it will 'normally' be from now on and I can deal with it. 

Cheyanne.....I probably would not be too quick to go that route myself.....and having said that, I don't think holistic medicine is bad as such --- in fact, in all honesty Dh and I only consulted with one for a while many years ago and I'm sure there are probably some good holistic practitioners out there somewhere....but after having gone through what I guess one would term rather standard treatment for bc, I can't imagine any holistic person having something better for cancer tx.  At the same time, if this person were willing to work with your cancer team I think it could be possible to derive some benefit since holistic is treating of the whole person etc. 

Well once again, it's late and I'm bushed and I think I will go---btw, since I read it just above and may forget by tomorrow night....good luck on Tuesday Pam.   I so hope all goes well.

Linda....on the off chance that I would forget Thursday ( I forget which way out of my drive-way ) if you are like so many others....the chemo will nearly cause the vapors....and afterward will probably seem very anti-climatic.  This is not to minimize that things can happen, but the first one ( the total un-known ) just tends to send you on high fear alert and then when nothing much happens ( and I hope it does go perfect as it often does ) then you feel almost silly for the myriad number of negative thoughts. 

The nurses are generally very good and will keep a good eye on you.  So here's hoping for a good first session

Hugs,

Jackie 

• ritajean
    edited April 2009

Jackie, I find that anymore I'm pretty calm at visitations and funerals and then fall apart later.  I used to be just the opposite.  Strange!  Anyway, I'm glad you got through everything today and sorry that it had to be.  It was a lovely day (windy but sunny) here so I'm assuming it was pleasant there, too.  A little sun usually helps a bit.  Hugs!

Linda, I made myself so sick before my first chemo by worrying!  Then I got there and it was so uneventful.  It certainly wasn't worth the mental upset that I created for myself and I quickly learned how to manage the side effects when they popped up.  Although it's something that none of us want to do, it is doable!  I will be thinking about you on Thursday.

Good luck on Tuesday, Pam!  My thoughts and prayers will be with you!

Cheyanne...I like some of the principles behind the holistic approach but I would never go strictly that route by itself.  I might consider adding some of the holistic ideas to the modern medicine regiment though but would never forsake the treatments or rads if they're needed.  That's just my opinion of course and everyone has to make their own decisions when it comes to the type of treatment that they think is right for themselves.  I think the decision-making is one of the hardest parts of this journey.  Once your decision is made and you have a treatment plan, it seems like you are being pro-active and a bit more in control.

Well, my recliner is calling me but I just had to check in and see how all you great ladies are doing!

Rita

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2009

Jackie, I'm very sorry about the loss of your cousin.  I know it's stressful even when one isn't dealing with bc, but please remember to take care of you, too.

Linda, Rita and Jackie put it so well--the time I spent worrying about #1 tx could have been spent doing something much more productive (like eating spumoni ice cream!!).  I'll be holding cyber hands with you. 

Pam,  I'm saying prayers that Tuesday will bring good news.

Jo, Fabric shopping was successsful, although I certainly have only a fraction of the stamnia I used to.  When I get this quilt done, I will post a photo.

My bald head:  My granddaughters were creative with the colored markers.  The younger one (age 5) had heard me talking about how I have so many "forgetful" days.  She told me she was afraid that I would forget the alphabet, so I now have orange ABCs on the right side of my head.  She added a question mark, exclamation point and a period (didn't understand "comma") and told me that now, even if I forget, I can look up any letters I need.  The 8 year old drew red lips and wrote "KISSING"--at 8?? I think my son should have a talk with her.

Anyway, it was a very fun but tiring weekend (she says whimpering).

Take care Chooks (btw, where are Aussie Sheila, Webbie, Mikita?)  Hope you have a restful evening.  Helen

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2009

Hey, Gramof3,

Still here. Nothing much happening last few days. Just glad to be up and around. I drove my first time Thursday and have been making lots of trips to the Dairy Queen.. If I don't stop, I'm gonna have my fat stomach back b4 I go back to work!!  I honestly hope I can keep it off.  The tummy tuck was just an extra, but it's sure caused a lot of pain and I would really like to keep it.

Guess I'll work on it at the gym when doc says I can exercise again.

Hugs to all! Hope everything's going smoothly with everyone.

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2009

Mikita,  Good to hear you are healing well.  I hear you about Dairy Queen--my office is in the building NEXT DOOR to a DQ.  Now, that's just askin' for trouble.  I was a frequent flyer before the bc, but now I'm working my way through the entire Blizzard menu...(she says blimpily--probably not a word, but you get my drift.)

And now I'm off to bed.  Helen

• lrm216
    edited April 2009

Jackie  - much thanks - I needed your confident sendoff!

Linda

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited April 2009

Happy Monday morning to all.   Here's to good reports for Pam and who is having surgery - Thursday?   Speedy healing to those recovering from surgeries.  My mind cannot process everyone's names so here is a BIG HUG for everyone.   

I hope nothing much is going on this week.  We have HEAT here - 90 again today.  If it had eased into it I would be happier - someone commented that only the Americans discuss weather - most others gossip (like the Europeans)...    Yesterday I had lunch with 2 of my chemo buddies and we may have to change our names to the hairy ladies, as we all have head hairs.    I noticed hair is back on my arms the other day.   Funny how vain I have gotten about hair.   

Have a super duper day and keep healthy.   HUGS,  Nancy 

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited April 2009

G'day all you chooks, I'm here, down-under, as usual.  No 2 son (30yo) is getting married May 23rd, so I am trying to find matching shoes, dress accessories etc., for Dd and self, and a suit etc., for DH.  Not much to look at in our area, so we travelled 2hrs (twice) to a major mall to find appropriate 'gear' this week.  My feet are worn down to stubs after pounding in and out of all those shops.

Due to the fact that I have bone mets (sometimes a little unsteady,) and the wedding ceremony is being held in a park, I have this vision of myself lying on the ground with my legs up in the air, and seeing multiple video versions on Funniest Home Videos for forever after.  So I am looking at something dressy? with trousers, if at all possible, as the invitation states that dress is 'semi'-formal.

Nancy, as long as your hair stays its usual length in all the places where it should be short, I wouldn't be overly worried.  We were introduced to a lady-friend of F-i-Law a while back and, as she stepped forward to hug, as folks sometimes do, I put my hands on her arms, as I usually do, and it took all my self control not to squeek out loud at that touch.  When we pulled away, I glanced down at her arms and was gobsmacked to see that she had this sort of 'woolly fur' growing all over them.  It was thick and about  2inches long like an animal pelt and it seemed odd for someone who had a blonde germanic background. As she was in her late 60's and I am now in my early 60's, I keep a very close watch on my arms these days, just in case it's an age related thing.

Coo-ees to all,

Sheila.

• ritajean
    edited April 2009

Oh Helen!  How precious!  Get pictures of your head for posterity!  One of these days all of you will get a laugh out of the ABC's and KISSING!!   Aren't grandkids wonderful?  I love to yard sale.  I look mainly for books and gently used toys.  When I get a collection of things for my grandsons, I box them up and send them.  The boxes are a great hit! For just a little bit of money (usually the postage costs more than the contents!  LOL)  the boys get many hours of entertainmnent and my DIL gets a little "time out!"  It's also a way that I can spoil them across the miles and I have so much fun finding "just the right superhero, comic book, game, or toy.

Everyone have a good day!

Rita

• illinoislady
    edited April 2009

Good morning all LaughingSmileSun ( only thing that makes me bloom well ) is out but rain will come later, I think.  Here in Little Egypt land ( southern Illinois ) we don't much go by what the weather report says because most everything is milder here.....if we get it at all.  Since the prediction is 2 inches....this time I think we might get some.

Rita....nice to know I'm not getting jaded about funeral reactions.  I was a little concerned but feel better now.  Well, this way is better anyhow.  Don't know about anyone else, but I do not look good when I cry.  My nasal passages turn completely loose, and my eyes get red and almost bloodshot looking and my hair looks un-kempt, even if I haven't touched it.  So, unlike the glamorous movie shots I'm better if this does not happen. 

It was quite warm and windy yesterday....we took our foster dog Molly McB over to a friend's house for a play day thinking while we were gone to Johnson City.  Diva needs lots of stimulation.....well, little Molly Mc just jumped Maggie's tall fence and was back out at the drive-way before we got to the car.  Lucky she stayed put while we were gone to Johnson City, but she jumped our pen last night.....let them do it once and it's on.  Had to tie her ( long 35 ft. soft tie ) in our 50 ft. pen. 

Jo, I love rhubarb too.  I think Dh ( we have a tiny stand of it ) intends to have a little more though the original plants spread too.  I think we have enough. 

Well gals, hope you all have a nice productive Monday.  Gram of 3...I'll be waiting to see that quilt.  I love quilts...I have one that I'll have to get into the works one of these days. Have to send it out.

Hugs,

Jackie

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited April 2009

wow - I am glad I am lurking here. I start chemo a week from today and that brave face for family and friends isn't nearly so brave inside. Thank several of you for reminding me that things should be all right. All that worrying before surgery wasn''t needed, I found out..I am fortunate on many counts. As an "older" woman,(61)  I am fine with having no more children. My "baby'" is 23. As a retired person, I don't need to worry about  income or going to work. And as a Canadian, I don't need to worry about how much my care costs. So now I will worry about if I will be well enough to enjoy my nephew's wedding 5 days later and a visit from some British second cousins who are visiting at the end of June. My two brothers and sister will step in where needed - hey maybe I don't need to worry about that either. This morning I will worry about finding a wig and some sunglasses. You have made me feel much better!

• mzmiller99
    edited April 2009

Helen - OMG!!!  What a super Gram you are!!  I absolutely love your idea - see what happens when we get to be grams?  I wouldn't have dreamed of having my children do such a thing as a mom, but as a gram, coloring a baldie head sounds fine!

Your grandkiddos are very lucky to have a gram with such a sense of fun.

You deserve your rest!  Enjoy this beautiful morning.

• mzmiller99
    edited April 2009

Leslie - a lurker no longer!!  Welcome to our happy place.  Good luck with chemo!

Gobsmacked is kind of like hit upside the head - jaw dropping.  Didn't Willy Wonka have Everlasting Gobsmackers, or am I thinking of something else?  As usual.

Jo -5 -my rhubarb is about three inches high, but I'm already planning those pies!!  No calorie, of course!

• illinoislady
    edited April 2009

Susan....did I ever tell you how much I like you....for welcoming ways with Leslie ( we are glad we made the whistle stop at your place ) and  your lo-cal or no-cal food.  That way we all know what to eat. 

Hugs,

Jackie