Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited July 2011

AliceAnn..... No, I would not go for any kind of surgery either.  I'm only 73...and squeezing that out for a couple more weeks, ha!  But I wouldn't do it after 80....  Other treatments yes....but definately not a mastectomy nor chemo.... I mean some of the other drugs are hard enough to take.

How did she find out she had cancer?   I had a Lumpectomy almost 2 years ago, with radiation through a MammoSite device....  But I am in pretty good health...and everything went great.  But I didn't have to have chemo.... If I found out I had cancer again.....I don't think I would have chemo anyway.  Not too sure about another Lumpectomy...but if I still feel this good, that would make a difference......

What does your Mother in law think about it?  Anything over 85 I think is really pushing it, when it comes to making decisions like that....  Let us know...... and best wishes....

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,475
    edited July 2011

Alice Ann ---  I would say probably  do no more than necessary.....lumpectomy could be ok, perhaps a little radiation too.....but I think much might depend on how good a shape you MIL is in at this time....and how well would she tolerate  being put under.  With my lumpectomy.....a second hidden cancer was found, but even with this surprise I was in surgery a very short period of time.  I went in around 12:30 in the afternoon and by three was dressed and ready to leave the hospital and drive with my husband the 75 or so miles home.  I had a very good surgeon and though I got the prescription filled did not need any pain pills ever.  We are all different and respond a bit differently to the same types of things.....but at that age I'd say as little as you can get by with.....based on the rest of your MIL's heath picture.  

In reading back.....I'm assuming that the no option may be due to the fact of its being a Papillary type cancer with is non-aggressive and slow growing -- meaning a fair chance she would pass away at some time.....with something else before the cancer would ever cause any problems to her.  So this then could be a viable option. 

I do understand.....cancer still strikes great fear in people and they see it as something that must be gotten rid of right now.....and no matter how harshly you do it --- just get it gone....so I'd say find out what kind of cancer it actually is......aggressive or non-aggressive, and then consider how is the general health of your MIL and most importantly.....what does she think???  What would she be willing to do. 

Does she have good quality of life at this time.  She can ( as many do ) get more than one opinion on this.  I think the majority of we ladies have been told that we had our cancers quite a long while before they were discovered -- in some cases as long as ten years.  Taking time to gather some facts and perhaps a second opinion ( some people have had four second opinions )  should not cause any significant treatment delay.  We wish your MIL well and how wonderful that you come to advocate for her.  Let us know how it goes. 

Hugs, Jackie

• Reden
    Reden Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011

Hi TO ALL, hope all of you will welcome me  to the "older people".  I just turned 60 and thanks to God i am a survivor of mucinous (colloid),  stage 1.  I was diagnosed on Feb 9, 2000.  I had my surgery on Mar 9, 2000.  I took tamox for a year in 2001, but my body responded 10% with it.  With my Onco's recommendation, i had a 6-session chemo. 

Since 2005, I am being monitored by an alternative doctor.  Currently, I am taking 1000mg Vit C

and 3 tbsp Pure Virgin Coconut daily.  I only eat native "organic" chicken and eggs, fish, avoid dairies, etc., honey on native coffee.   Not to forget, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar on empty stomach.

I just started a career as Insurance Agent.  There is life after BC.  God is good.

Hope to find cyber friends here.  I am in the Philippines.

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2011

Hi Reden!  Yes, Welcome, of course!  I don't know anything about your type of cancer, but sounds like you are doing well now.... 11 years out, right?  That is wonderful!   I'm glad you had all of the surgery, treatments, and Tamoxifen before you started with your alternative Doctor.   I think that decision is to prevent any more troubles...and to heal your body from the inside. 

I have heard of the vinegar benefits from my Daughter....I do take a lot of supplements, since I quit taking Tamoxifen after 14 months.   How, or what test did they do to tell you your body responded with only 10%?   I didn't know they could test to see if the Tamoxifen was working.

And YES, there is life after cancer, Ha!  Congratulations on your new career! 

Talk to you gals later! xoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011

Hi Reden. Great to meet you.  You do seem to have done a wonderful job on getting and keeping your NED status.  I don't know a lot about alternative medicine and Dr.'s but you obviously are well enough in tune with your body to know what will work for you.  I too have heard a lot about vinegar and healing properties.  I'm thinking that we need to make our system either acidic or is it non-acidic. 

Any rate....glad yo found us and welcome to you.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011

The power of intuitive understanding will protect you from harm until the end of your days. -Lao Tzu

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011
    Knowing others is intelligence;
    knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength;
    mastering yourself is true power.
    - Lao Tzu
  • illinoislady
    edited July 2011

Good morning everyone.....I think our heat wave is going to break today.  That would be great as it has been pretty sweltering.  Would be nice to get out in the yard and so a few things tomorrow.  Until then I have all the normal things I do to keep me busy and out of mischief.

Hope you all have  a good day spent in ways that please you.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011
    Believe it is possible to solve your problem. Tremendous things happen to the believer. So believe the answer will come. It will.
    Norman Vincent Peale
  • Chevyboy
    edited July 2011
    I believe that Jackie!  It's really true....Seems like you can usually make things happen....And if all else fails, ask for help!  Wink
  • mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited July 2011

Hello Again,

It seems on the 10th day after chemo I begin to feel better, have some energy, yesterday Imade homemade italian peseant bread and two loaves of cinnamon raisin bread, cooked a pork loin, etc.  Am at work this morning.  Will have just enough time to get a few things done and back I go on Aug. 4th.  Hope all have a good day.

Hugs

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011

Mom....that is always the way it seems with the chemo.....I think when you start feeling good again is when cells have quit dying and a lot of the chemo is out of the body.  I could always tell a huge difference when I had mine.  It would be a matter of overnight.....night before I would still feel sluggish and even sore here and there.  Feeling like I was about to get better but sure I still wasn't there.  The next morning......I would always know later that day I would want to start eating and it was always tuna on toast that I wanted. 

By the way.....mind if I come over for a piece of that peasant bread.  I am such a bread lover.  No wonder I'll be dieting the rest of my life.

Long day for me....picking up a half an acre's worth of tree limbs and sticks from the recent storm, then mowing, then cleaning the my cat room, then cleaning Maggie's house and doing her animals.  Stopping at the manor to check on her and a quick trip to the dollar store and to pay a couple of bills.  I'm done in. 
    See you all in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011

The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, serenely, divinely aware. Henry Miller

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011

Good morning....hope you are all going to have a good one.  We are going to be stuck for another week in our heat wave.....goodness, if I didn't know better I'd think this was deep August.  I will have to slow down a bit more....nearly over-did it yesterday......lots of water if your having to be out in any heat. 

Be checking back later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Arline
    Arline Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2011

Would so love to have "mature" ladies( I'm 73) to discuss our various experiences,  I just had a bi-lateral not too long ago, but previously have had two ovarian debulking surgeries............and I'm still here!!!! I've been best friends with this disease for tewnty two years, and seem to have a recurrance every ten years.  However, I don't have much left to take........................I have had chemo at the dana farber institute in Boston and they gave me this last ten years of life.  However, I am new to breast cancer, and decided  "no more chemo for me"!!!! 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011

Hi Arline.....welcome to our little corner of BCO.Org.  We are definitely well seasoned ladies here.  I'm 65 and Jeannette ( Chevy ) is in the 70's like you.  That is interesting that your cancer runs in 10 yr. cycles. 

Just pull up a chair, grab a glass of ice tea, or some coffee and we will just commiserate on whatever comes up.  We are here for you.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011
    ~ The soul is born old but grows young. That is the comedy of life. And the body is born young and grows old. That is life's tragedy. ~ share this  saying Oscar Wilde
  • Chevyboy
    edited July 2011

Morning Arline!  So glad you found us!   Yes, Jackie is right...I will be 74 this Sunday, but still feel like I must be about 50 or so....Ha!  (Same age as one of my daughters.Wink

None of your cancers are related, right?   My first experience with cancer was 1 1/2 years ago, and I'm so glad that so far, so good.   I have never had chemo....but Jackie, and now Marcha have.  Marcha is still going through it (Mommarch).... So hopefully we can help her along her way...

Where do you live?  Are you having this awful heat?  I live in Denver...actually a native, and live a block from where I grew up....

I'll talk to you gals more later!  Have a great day! xoxoxoxoox Jeannette

• mommarch
    edited July 2011
    Hi Arline, Welcome, I am 62, first time breast cancer for me.  Sorry about all your other cancers, I am a new kid on the block here, they have all been very supportive.  If you have had several chemos in the past I do not blame you for not wanting anymore.  I will have my thire AC on Aug. 4th.  So far so good.  I am pretty wiped out for about 10 days, still working, have a partime desk job at university.  I live in Far West Texas, we have ro travel 172 miles one way for my treatment. Where I live is Fort Davis, TX   look it up at www.fortdavis.com.  Sorry you have to be here but glad you found us.  Take Care
  • Chevyboy
    edited July 2011

Mommarch....you go girl!  I know you have a rough time after your treatments, but I admire you so much for making the best of it, and continuing to work.  ... I looked up Ft. Davis!  And I'll look into it more when we get home. 

My Mom was from the Dallas, Ft. Worth area, before she moved to Denver & met my Dad.  We went to Dallas one time on the train....(years ago) when I was little and I just rememember when it rained we would play in the gutters in the running water, AND went swimming once & nearly drowned, and we used to catch fire-flys!  That was just magical!  

Arline has had a rough time  sounds like....We have to take care of her too!  Wink xoxoxoxo

• Arline
    edited July 2011

To all of you brave ladies I thank you for the kind welcome!!!!  Let me see, I'm from Massachusetts. My first two cancers were ovarian and the aggressive chemo was well tolerated by me.  I was only 50 then , and an energetic, busy grandmother, with no ill side effects.  I never missed a beat, and once my hair fell out, I bought a few wigs, and continued to enjoy life.  The last time, it was not so much fun.  Of course I was older, had osteoporosis by then, They treated the cancer  with a vengeance.  So I  had some rather difficult weeks, (one after each chemo)!  My onc. suggested sleeping it off, which I did.  I slept a goodly portion of each week after.  My white counts were off, so I had the strength of a flea.  Then boom by the 7th day I was Arline again.  Now I have breast cancer, the girls are both gone and I don't miss them one bit.  My surgery went well a few months back and now I am waiting to be fitted with my new breast forms.  No reconstruction and no more chemo.  I love my boyish figure, and my husband is wonderful about it.  So we all have our choices to make, and we cannot judge the choices of another.  Just live life to the fullest every day, enjoy your family and friends, and thank God you are alive.  Whew ...............you're eyes must be burning!!!!!   Cheers....Arline

• Beetlebum
    Beetlebum Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2011

Hi.  I've been on this forum since May but only found this "older" people forum today.  I'm 65.  This is my first cancer.  Really the first time ever for being "sick".  I had a lumpectomy 5/6/11, started rads 6/13/11 and will have my last one this Friday.  Yippee!!!  I was given Arimidex but I've yet to take it.  Has anyone opted out of the hormone therapy?  Glad to meet you nice ladies.  For those going through Chemo, hang in there.  We sisters love you.  Brenda

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2011

Hi Brenda!  How fun you found us!  So you haven't taken the Arimidex yet?  Jackie can tell you about that one!  I used to take Tamoxifen, but quit it ater 14 months.  You can do anything you want, but maybe you want to give it a try?    If you are still doing Rads, ask your Onco if you could just rest a little to think it over! 

Arline!  So you can help the other gals going through chemo!  It's nice to hear from you gals!

Okay, talk to you more in the morning!  Have a nice evening! xoxoxoJeannette

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011

Arline  that is an interesting story.  I hate to hear that anyone ( or any kind ) has to go thru cancer treatments twice....or three times like your case.  I think you are quite brave and still have a marvelous attitude.  Hard to say....I have heard some people say the older you are the easier the chemo can be on you....for breast cancer.  Sounds though like you made a good choice.  It is something I could have done......but opted for the lumpectomy.  I'll explain more a bit later.  What we do about our cancer is a very personal choice and for the most part.....most of the people I know are not at all un-happy about the choices they made.

Brenda glad you found us.  We are a small group here, but we care deeply about each other.  Like all the rest of the ladies here.....I was blind-sided by my diagnosis and had so many other plans for semi-retired life with my husband.  Now among a few other things, my hearts desire is to share with others who have set their feet on this path.  So welcome and we are glad you are here.

Most of heard my story, but I'll briefly retell it.  I was diagnosed at the end of 2007.  Had just lost our insurance a few months before.  Had a bruise that would not go away....didn't change, just wouldn't go away.  Anyway....went to the V.A. and they instituted tons of testing, biopsies with the result that I had a sm. Papillary cancer.  I decided on a lumpectomy and would have about a week of rads after.  

When my surgeon, Dr. Ryan took out the bruise...lo and behold there was another tumor hiding underneath, much larger and more aggressive than the Papillary.  It was an IDC.  This then put me into 6 mos. of chemo ( you'll relate to this Arline )  which helped me drop 38 #'s rather unwillingly, and 7 full weeks of rads. It was hard and harsh and sometimes I would will myself to just get through the next ten minutes.....seemed to take a long time to get 6 mos. of chemo done, but at long last. 

I would do it all again, but certainly hope I never have to.  A good life returned along with some hair ( although the underarm hair never did ) and I am thankful for a great life and to be just as well as ever.  I have continued to lose wt. and only have maybe 12 or 15 more to lose.  So, we may have a new normal, but we do have a life and one I so appreciate. 

More later on the Arimidex.

Please come back often ladies.

Hugs, Jackie  

• mommarch
    edited July 2011

Brenda,

I know what you mean first time for really being sick, I had not been in the hospital in 32 years since my dauther was born.  But when I make up for it I go whole hog.  

I had never had a stitch or broken bone untill 1972 6 weeks after my son was born and I had a horrific car accident, multiple cuts, broken pelvic on one side and cracked on the other, broken arm.  In the hospital for 5 weeks, home in a wheel chair and crutches, took 6 months to recover.  Like I said when I do it I go whole hog.

Hang in there glad you found us.

• Beetlebum
    Beetlebum Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2011

Thank you for all the welcomes.  I've met some wonderful people since I was diagnosed.  A little Scottish lady at rads is  a real love.  Tomorrow is my last rad so I'm going to miss her.  In a strange (sick) way I'm going to miss going for rads.  I guess it's the people because I really won't miss the rads. 

Jackie, I would love to lose the weight but I don't want to go that route.  And tell me about the Arimidex.  I'm not going to take it right away.  I just want to go about life without thinking about bc for awhile. 

I hope you guys have a great day.  Another hot one here in North Carolina.

Hugs to all, Brenda 

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2011

Morning gals!  Arline...  I forgot to ask...What are Ovarian Debulking surgeries?  I just have never heard of that before.....hope you don't mind my asking.... And did they treat you with chemo first, and then the surgery?   So glad you have come past that now!  But sorry you were hit over the head with breast cancer!  And maybe the chemo would be "different" this time around?  Oh never mind, they took your girls, so no need for chemo.....

I think that's a good idea....breast forms!  That makes a lot of sense at my age, also, I mean if I ever have to do it again..... Did you have BC in both breasts?  I wondered if I needed to have a ms on one side, if they would take the other side off also?  I read a lot from other women who just want to be done, and will have both breasts off.  I think it makes a difference also if you have had cancer before.  You sound so upbeat, and great to have you on this thread!    I think we can all learn a lot from you!

I'm a Grandmother also.... in fact we will get to watch our youngest Grandson graduate from Florida State in Tallahassee, by live feed from the ceremony on Aug. 7th!   We did this about 3 years ago for the oldest Grandson also!   These "kids" grow up so fast!

Mommarch(Marcha)  How are you doing kid?  You are still the new kid on the block, Ha!   At least you get to go on a "Roadie" when it is time for your chemo.... You can still stay at that place, right?   I'm sorry about your car accident.... Man, that must have been rough!  Can't imagine being in a hospital that long!  And your son was just a tiny baby?  Thank God you guys are alright now!

Your quote is from Vivian Green!!!!  I love that one you posted!  We have another artist on here, Nancy, where are you?  She is beginning to "work" again after her DX....Poetry and Artistry are just two things that escaped me....  I always like to excuse this flaw and say, "But I'm crafty"...Ha!

And I have a great tomato garden! Wink 

Brenda!  How did you pick the name Beetlebum?  Ha, ha!  That is so funny!  Does it have anything to do with Beetlejuice? 

Dear Jackie.... you telling that awful story about your BC again, just brings to mind how at one time. it was insinuated that you didn't even have cancer.  We know how to go beyond EVERYthing, right?  Always keep your head up,  and just keep believing.....and DLTBGYD. 

I have always loved your attitude, my friend...... Talk to you all later! xoxoxoxoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011

A Chance To Start
    How often we wish for another chance to make a fresh begining.
    A chance to blot out our mistakes and change failure into winning.

It does not take a special time to make a brand new start.
    It only takes the deep desire to try with all our heart.

To live a little better, to always be forgiving.
    To add a little sunshine in a world for which we're living.

Never give up in despair nor think you are through.
    For there's always a tomorrow, A chance to start a new.

Good Morning

Have a Great Day Ahead.....

• illinoislady
    edited July 2011

Morning everyone.....please know if I don't call you by name I am still thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and caring to you. 

I too am hoping for our heat wave to break.  It is going to be 100 here again today.  It is getting tiresome....just the three or four showers alone, not to mention washing off in between. 

Onto the Arimidex.  I have been fortunate, or stubborn I guess ,for most of the time I truly don't notice much.  Some days I am sluggish when I get up....stiff and feeling a little soreness.  After a cup or two of coffee and some planning for my day.....it all seems to drift off for the most part.  On occasion....on dampish days I do notice it a little longer.  Since I had two different cancers in the same breast......I just felt that whatever I could tolerate was what I should do.....that is unless there were se's ( side effects ) that seemed overwhelming.....then I'd switch to something else.  I never had too. 

I am a bit stubborn and  am usually running around with lots of things to do and have to admit that I don't concentrate too much on how things feel.  In order for me to pay much mind then it has to be really intrusive. 

We all I think do reach a point where we don't want to think about our diagnosis all the time and you can be there.  I still have check ups every three months so it is sort of always close, but I don't have the fear and dread......it is just something -- like monitoring blood pressure, that takes place.  I gave up worry.....useless endeavor for me.  I just take the days I am given, grateful they come and do my best to be happy and productive.  If I can help someone else along the same path then it is a great reward. 

I hope you all have a great, wonderful, positive, happy day -- while trying to stay calm and cool.  I'll be checking in later.

Hugs to all,

Jackie

• Arline
    edited July 2011

Hi Ladies,  DeBulking  is the actual removal of as much as possible  of a very large (think grapefruit or football) size tumor. The second time it was the size of an orange...................easy surgeries, quick recovery.....................no problems.  The chemo came before and after the surgeries.................have had a LOT of chemo.  They removed ALL of the tumors both times, I am a very lucky lady!  When I heard breast cancer.......................then core biopsy,  I knew I was in big trouble again.  Had a fantastic surgeon....cancer in left brest, so I told him to remove the other please!!!!! I had a visiting nurse for one week to empty the drains,  and the stitches came out on their own and here I am. (the whole process took about 5 weeks).

When they send me off to a nursing home in the future I would like to by symetrical .  Now I've noticed  in the heat....................I FEEL  cooler!!!!!  Padded bras, if the mood strikes me....................it's just great being 73 and still waking up every morning.  Showering..........................is like being a kid, after gym class!  All clean and flat. I weigh 118 pounds and am 5ft.1inch tall..............so I DO look like a boy!!!!! Ah, so what...............that's me and thank God my family of 21 all still seek time to spend with  me!  No matter what we have to go through, you have to smile, because you can't make this stuff up!!!!!  Chins up!!!