Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited November 2011

This is sooo cute! 

It's like Mother like Daughter!

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2011

Thanks mommarch and everyone else for the good wishes.  I'm sure I won't know today for certain, but maybe they will give me some idea.   I was told it takes two business days to get the results.

I'm nervous, but I keep telling myself it couldn't be any worse than a root canal...right? 

• Kaara
    edited November 2011

I'm Back!  The biopsy was a piece of cake...didn't feel a thing but the prick of the needle when he gave me the numbing solution.  The entire thing took less than an hour and most of that was getting me set up on the table (not so comfortable) and my boob through the hole so the radiologist could get at it.  I'll be getting the results sometime next week.  I'll start calling them on Tuesday if I don't hear first.

Thanks for all the support..good to have it over.  As for the wait...it is what it is. 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,495
    edited November 2011

Here is something my friend shared with me a little while ago. 

Subject: : Something to think about on 11-11

Poem Worth Reading
    He was getting old and paunchy
    And his hair was falling fast,
    And he sat around the Legion,
    Telling stories of the past.

Of a war that he once fought in
    And the deeds that he had done,
    In his exploits with his buddies;
    They were heroes, every one.

And 'tho sometimes to his neighbors
    His tales became a joke,
    All his buddies listened quietly
    For they knew where of he spoke.

But we'll hear his tales no longer,
    For ol' Joe has passed away,
    And the world's a little poorer
    For a Soldier died today.

He won't be mourned by many,
    Just his children and his wife.
    For he lived an ordinary,
    Very quiet sort of life.

He held a job and raised a family,
    Going quietly on his way;
    And the world won't note his passing,
    'Tho a Soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth,
    Their bodies lie in state,
    While thousands note their passing,
    And proclaim that they were great.

Papers tell of their life stories
    From the time that they were young
    But the passing of a Soldier
    Goes unnoticed, and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution
    To the welfare of our land,
    Some jerk who breaks his promise
    And cons his fellow man?

Or the ordinary fellow
    Who in times of war and strife,
    Goes off to serve his country
    And offers up his life?

The politician's stipend
    And the style in which he lives,
    Are often disproportionate,
    To the service that he gives.

While the ordinary Soldier,
    Who offered up his all,
    Is paid off with a medal
    And perhaps a pension, small.

It is not the politicians
    With their compromise and ploys,
    Who won for us the freedom
    That our country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger,
    With your enemies at hand,
    Would you really want some cop-out,
    With his ever waffling stand?

Or would you want a Soldier--
    His home, his country, his kin,
    Just a common Soldier,
    Who would fight until the end.

He was just a common Soldier,
    And his ranks are growing thin,
    But his presence should remind us
    We may need his likes again.

For when countries are in conflict,
    We find the Soldier's part
    Is to clean up all the troubles
    That the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor
    While he's here to hear the praise,
    Then at least let's give him homage
    At the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline
    In the paper that might say:
    "OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING,
    A SOLDIER DIED TODAY."

Pass On The Patriotism!
    YOU can make a difference! 

I hope I don't end up with all sorts of weird marks.  When I copy and paste from some places ( you can't really tell for sure which is going to do it ) it sometimes happens.

I am truly touched by this.

Hugs, Jackie

So sorry....the rotten marks did turn up.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,106
    edited November 2011

Hi to all.  We had a cold night last night and I looked out this morning and saw our first frost of the winter.  The sun soon melted it and the day was beautiful.  I played golf with two other women and enjoyed being outside.  Tonight we lit the fireplace for a few hours.  But this cool weather will be short-lived.  Tomorrow back up to the 70's and Mon and Tues. may be in the 80's.  That's out weather, always changing.

I have nothing planned for tomorrow.  That's a good feeling.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

By being yourself, you put something wonderful in the world that was not there before. -Edwin Elliot

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Good Saturday morning everyone.

Kaara......glad that you got through the biopsy fine.  You are well on the way now to getting the last word and will be able to find your direction.  Still hoping it is something strange that is b-9 and will never create a problem. 

Carole....we had a light frost as well.  Couldn't really see it around our property much, but I noted as I left for work ( I don't usually go early in the morning, but filled in yesterday for someone else ) that the yards along the way appeared to look just a little snowy on top.  We still have some hardy green bushes so can still tease ourselves just a bit, but ole' man winter is not so far away.  I don't always mind winter but our winters seem to be changing from what they were when we moved back home 14 yrs. ago.  A little troublesome to me.  So many winters here I would go out with my coat not buttoned as even though there was lots of snow.....I would get too warm.  These last couple of winters....I feel like I need two coats on....changes ????  hmmm, scary sometimes.

Hope you are all going to have a fantastic Saturday.  I plan to have a good one.  Dh has a rare Saturday off....we probably won't get much work done. Yikes....I'll be doing double-duty tomorrow for that.  See you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011
    Honor, Forgiveness, Gratitude, Choice,
    Vision, Action, Celebration, Unity -
    The Values of an Inspired Life.
    - Jonathan Lockwood Huie
  • illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Putting this in early as I have to be to work tomorrow by 6 a.m.  Then feed feral cats.....home to have some special work done on my computer for a bit and then although it will be late afternoon I should get to come and say hi.

See you all then:

Thought for the Day
    It's our conscience, not our mattress that has the most to do with our sleep

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011
    "Make a game of finding something positive in every situation. Ninety-five percent of your emotions are determined by how you interpret events to yourself."
  • Chevyboy
    edited November 2011

Hi Gals!  Momarch....My friend sent me this email about West Texas....beautiful photography...thought you would like it....

http://player.vimeo.com/video/22132017?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0

I hope you can view this....

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited November 2011

Wow, Chevy, that is incredible.  Thank you so very much for sharing.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Chevy...that was really nice to see.  I was at San Antonio ( beautiful place ) taking Medical Corpsman training in 1964.....long ago.  At Brook Army Hospital.  Right next to our base was Brekenridge Botanical Gardens.....was a place on base that we could walk through and enter the Gardens....I spent much of my off duty,off school time there wandering around. 

Texas is a long drive by car, but I've done that too. 

Good day today, but hard to get up at 5:15 to get to work early.  Now I REALLY understand why I opted for the early afternoon shift.  I spent a lot of years getting up at 4 a.m. in the morning for work and something I didn't mind giving up. I reaffirmed this morning what a good choice that was for me. 

Hope you all had a marvelous day.

Hugs, Jackie 

• carolehalston
    edited November 2011

Jackie, what kind of work do you do? 

It was in the 80's and humid here today.  I had the A/C on in the car when I drove to the periodontist for a scan.  Earlier this year I had laser surgery on a tooth to try to save it.  It's an anchor tooth for a 5-tooth bridge.  The surgery didn't improve things so now I'm scheduled in Jan. for implants.  Very expensive dentistry.  Not to mention the crowns that my regular dentist will providing. 

DH's sister and her husband are attending a medical conference in New Orleans.  Tomorrow we'll drive into the city and go to lunch with them.  Then take them to the airport.  We plan to go to their home in Decatur, IL,  for Thanksgiving, which is DH's favorite holiday.   The day after Thanksgiving we'll drive to Chicago to visit some family members who won't be coming to Decatur.  While in Chicago, I'm hoping to eat some genuine Chicago pizza.  I saw a segment on America's Test Kitchen about Chicago pizza.  It's different from the typical American pizza.  The crust is flaky and the cheese goes underneath the sauce.  Pizza is a treat for us because we seldom eat it.  Too much sodium and too many calories.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.
    ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Good morning everyone......still sort of warm here.  I'm surprised as it sounded like the rain would make it pretty cool.  Well, it is coming -- glad for the reprieve.

Carole -- right now I am sitting with an older lady. I stayed/sat with her husband 11 yrs. ago when he had Alzheimer's.  She is now fighting health issues and asked if I would help her....hard to say no and I was free. I worked ( when I got up so early in the a.m.  before ) for a McDonald restaurant.  Somehow, that job lasted for nine years.  I just took it as a bridge to keep a little monetary flow while I looked for what I wanted to do next.  I learned ( the previous job worked out the same way ) with the McDonalds job that the ones you don't intend to keep can end up lasing the longest.  Guess I am a little tenacious about things --- don't like to be labeled a quitter.

Also, Carole, you are not going to be very far from me when you visit Decatur at Thanksgiving.  I'm about two hours south of Decatur.   The Chicago pizza sounds yummy.  We don't go to Chicago due to the 4 hr. drive, however, in December I will be going ( at long last ) to a Christmas party/luncheon that the Illinois Ladies w/BC do every yr.  In fact, they have a lunch bunch that gets together about once a month.....too far for me, but I'm making an exception for the Christmas party. 

Hope you all are going to have a fantastic day.

Hugs, Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited November 2011

Jackie, I admire you for helping out an elderly person who cannot manage alone. 

DH and I picked up his sister and her husband at the Hilton in New Orleans.  We had lunch at one of our favorite restaurants, Mandina's on Canal Street.  The food was very good and we enjoyed the company of my SIL and BIL.  He's a partially retired gastroenterologist and has been involved with the AMA and Illinois Medical Assoc. for quite a few years.  It was interesting to hear about the discussions at the conference.  One concern, interestingly, is that 50 per cent of the physicians coming out of med. school are women and many of them do not want to work the long hours that male drs. have commonly worked.  There is some worry that there may be a shortage of drs. in future years. 

I have a severely sore throat that has affected my ears.  Tomorrow I have an apptment with my PCP.  It was just a checkup but I'll ask her to prescribe a med.  I may have strept.

Jackie, tell me about the feral cats you mention.  How many are there?  Do other people help to feed them? 

We're supposed to get some rain tonight and early tomorrow.  We need the rain.  It is very dry.

Hope everyone had a good day.

• Kaara
    edited November 2011

I got my diagnosis today...IDC, low grade 1 stage 1 (5mm).  Dr. said a lumpectomy and possible radiation.  We are meeting to discuss next week.  He will have results of HR & HER at that time.

I am disappointed, but I was prepared.  Thank you everyone for all the help and support while I was trying to navigate through this dx. 

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Good evening ladies.  Kaara....I am sorry to hear your diagnosis but not totally surprised.  Your path report is basically used to help determine what options are the best for you and as well more than likely family history.  Hopefully, you will not have to do a lg. amt. of aggressive tx.  Thank goodness though.....now you know.  It always feels at least a little better when you have answers and can start to plan what you will do. 

Carole....my sweet cats.....don't know why but they have dwindled in number lately......at the one feeding station I had up to 7 or 8.....but only see about half that lately.  The second area had two and that spot is down to 1.  I do feed a few around my house -- three or four.  No one helps me with them.  I spend far more money on my own group at home than I do on the feral cats.  But, then I do buy Diamond Active Cat for my cats and Purina Indoor/Outdoor for the feral cats. 

Hope you are able to get something for your strep/cold/throat.  Sounds uncomfortable.  Knock on wood....I stopped having colds when we moved back home here and am I glad.  I even went through all my 6 mos. of chemo with nary a sniffle.  We have been back almost 14 yrs. now so even I am amazed and very grateful. 

See you all in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2011

Morning Gals...Kaara, sorry about your diagnosis... You might find this interesting...

http://breastcancer.about.com/od/newlydiagnosed/ss/tumor_scale.htm 

This explains the size of the little tumors.  What they will also do during surgery is examine a few nodes and take them out.  They have to do this to determine if anything has spread. 

As far as an Onco test....this is to see mainly if you should have chemo.... your grade tells them if it would benefit you...but if you "won't do chemo" they might not even order this test. ... I was told it was very expensive, & I didn't want the test either, because I was dead-set on not doing chemo.   But the Oncologist ordered the test anyway, and my score was 19....not good, but not very bad.  I think your age would have a lot to do with your decision also.   And if you are ER+Pr positive, then the other treatments are there to help you keep cancer away.

Radiation is almost always given after surgery, or SHOULD be, I think!  I had it with the MammoSite device, but depending on where your tumor is, the size, etc. you might not be able to have it that way.   But just listen to your "team"....then make up your mind.... 

Depending on how you tell your family, & your boyfriend, determines how they will act.   This is not something to mess around with, or take your time thinking about it....but at the same time, there are so many ways and treatments to get you through this.   All the women on these forums have already been through it...

I'm going for my Mammogram today....It's been 2 years since they found mine!  But IF I ever have cancer again,  I would think seriously about a mastectomy, and any further treatment they recommended, because they know a lot more than I do about recurrence.  

Carole, my Daughter in Orlando was feeding feral cats too, and now "Coco" has become part of their family, ha!  I swear she could tame a spider!  But that kitten is so mellow & tame, and gets along great with her other three that she somehow manages to acquire! 

Her beloved old dog just passed away the other night, & she called me just sobbing... For so many years "Nikki" gave her all the love in the world... Even I cried, because she was still young when they moved to Orlando... The boys buried her in her garden that night... Our oldest Grandson just kind of took charge & said, "okay, let's do this'.... Glad I wasn't there.  Cry

Jackie.... You are the guardian angel of all pets in the world.... Well, you and my Daughter... But I know how much happiness they give you.... It's like the more you love animals, the more you love life...and it shows! 

Take good care....xoxo

• Kaara
    edited November 2011

Thanks ladies for the well wishes and good information.  Your support has helped tremendously.

I will know more after I meet with my doctor next week.  I told the kids and tried to keep it positive.  My boyfriend was in a state of shock because he refused to listen to any idea that this could have been anything but B9, but he is doing ok with it this morning.  It is what it is, and I have to manage through it, just like I've done every other challenge in my life, and there've been a few!

Good luck on your mammogram today Chevyboy! 

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011
    "When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure"
    Peter Marshall
  • Chevyboy
    edited November 2011

Morning gals!  My Mammogram went well....I told the gal, "NEXT time, it's YOUR turn"...Ha! 

And Kaara, you won't know about a "final Pathological report" until after your surgery....And that tells you/them  about how your margins were, your nodes, etc.   A lot will be taken care of during surgery, when your tissues are analyzed. 

Your surgeon will send samples of the tissues collected, & they wait for a call, then if more work is needed, they do it then....All while you are asleep.  So when you wake up, you pretty much will know if "all is clear".... But your surgeon sends this all in, and your final Path report is sent back.

And it's then that they can determine which course is best for you to follow.... So it's best to wait until all your tests and reports are in before you decide what you will or won't do.

Let us know....and best wishes....

I'm going to finish the floor-boards today, hopefully! Wink I pulled one off because it was warped... I KNEW my floor wasn't THAT un-even, nor the wall, but dang, that board was EVERYwhere, Ha!  So I went to buy a couple new ones, but this time I laid them on the floor before I bought them.  So I'll stain & varnish & put back up, WITH the quarter-rounds to "finish" the job. 

Does anything ever go right the FIRST time?  Oh well, nothing major. 

Have a good day...xoxo

• Kaara
    edited November 2011

Chevyboy:  Congratulations, glad to hear you had a clear mamo!  I meet with my bs on Monday, and at that time he will give me the full results of the biopsy and we'll talk about surgery.  I know everything can change during the surgery, I'm just hoping and praying for the best possible outcome.  I'm hoping to have all this over and done with so we can make our annual trip to Breck for skiing in Feb.  They opened early this year....what beautiful snow!

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011
    "Before you act, listen. Before you react, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try."

Ernest Hemingway

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Good morning on this sunny morning.  It's cold -- in the 40's but I can do a little blooming if it isn't gray outside.....so cool is ok.  Nothing much going on here today -- just my usual work and I have an appt. I want to make.  The Felician Wellness Center is having a reunion and I have decided to go.......that I'm sure will have information about new programs.  This is where I went to the 8 wk. course on food, nutrition, and the value of "moving" especially as you age a bit.  Was just $30.00 for the course at our local Rec. Center.  A lot of bang came out of those bucks...so I'm ready to hear more.

Chevy --- hear-hear, way to go on your tests.  You probably had a little dread, which I think is sort of a given for most of us now ---- and then the big sigh of relief comes.  I always feel like I am going to feel like I did before ---- but that big sigh is laying in wait and comes when I hear the positive results.  Just let the good news always come. 

I'll be checking in here later.....after work.  See you then.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2011

Thanks!  I think I will always worry...just like all you guys!  I sat there waiting after she did the Mammogram, & I had my ankles crossed and my fingers & I said lots of prayers...Ha!   She came back in & the Radiologist wanted a couple MORE pics, so we did that, waited a few more minutes, & then she gave me the "all clear!".....  They were checking the Hematoma I have....left over from the MammoSite Device....Just a pocked that used to be filled with fluid, but it isn't anymore.... I was just TOO happy to not have any problems!

THEN we went out to lunch, so that was the fun part.  

• Kaara
    edited November 2011

Chevyboy:  Can you tell me about your MammoSite experience.  I was considering this but my bs wasn't too keen on it.  He prefers a three week course of radiation, but said he would consider it.

Anything you could tell me would be helpful. 

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2011

Yes Kaara...Check this out....It cannot be used for everybody, but it works great!  It cuts down the radiation time from 3-6 weeks, daily, to a 7 day twice a day treatment.   No burning, no side effects. 

When I met my surgeon, I asked her if I could have radiation WITH the MammoSite Device....And I was a good candidate for it.  So it wouldn't hurt to ask.  Most women I know have the 6 week radiation treatments....are you sure it's only 3?  Check on this....  Just talk to your team....find out everything you can.  And always come back to ask questions here.....  Good luck!

http://www.mammosite.com/breast-lumpectomy/view-a-demonstration.cfm

• carolehalston
    edited November 2011

Chevyboy, great news that your mammogram turned up no problems.

Kaara, good luck with your surgery and treatment.  The only thing better than Stage 1 is Stage 0.  But I think you can't really be staged until after surgery.  My tumor started off at 6mm after the needle biopsy and ended up at 1 cm after surgery.  I was stage 3.  My insurance paid for the oncotype test.  I wasn't asked if I wanted it.  My bc dr. outlined the plan and the oncotype was part of it.  You'll learn more than you ever wanted to know by the time you've been through the whole experience and are resuming normal life.  We're here for you.

I'm feeling better after two days on an antibiotic.  Tomorrow I plan to play golf.  Today was my Mamma day.  I took my mother to her hair appointment, did her grocery shopping, and then took her to her apptment with a kidney dr.  She will be 89 in Dec.  Today she was in a cheerful mood.