Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,495
    edited November 2011

Good morning everyone.  I do hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving.  Kaara....your Thx day sure sounded a bit on the exciting side.  I think you turned some of the lemons into something just fine.  I'm glad that it all came out ok for everyone --- though it wasn't the ideal that it seemed it could be.  Just a few challenges along the way that you handled well.  Good for you.

I did the eat and run sort of thing.  I was needed ( I knew this in advance ) at work for a few hours and it didn't bother me at all.  I did bring many leftovers ( Mary, my cousin cooks for her big family and there is enough for the whole town it seems ) home along with the turkey carcass which I will boil to make lots of home-made turkey soup to put in the freezer.  I eat canned soups by the way, but there is nothing like the taste of something cooked at home from your own left-overs.  Also a great way to save some money  since there is going to be a carcass and left over food....so it is put to good use here. 

No black Friday for me. I've never done black Friday and I think since I've skipped it so long...I'll just keep it up.  I need/enjoy the savings just as much as anyone....but I won't get mobbed or camp out somewhere for it......if I ACTUALLY have to do that, then I don't think I can afford it anyway.  Most of the time my wants list is very small.  Or said another way --- most of the things I REALLY want you can't buy with money.

I will be checking back in when I get home from work today.  See you all then.

Hugs, Jackie 

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2011

We have more than a few things in common Jackie.  I would rather stick a pin in my eye than go shopping on Black Friday....and I love shopping!

DS's MIL packed up the turkey carcass at our house and she will make soup from one of her special recipies handed down from relatives in the mountains of Equador.  Yummy!  My morning was spent hand washing the glasses that can't go in the dishwasher.  DD asked why I do this every year and don't just use paper cups.  I do it because I have the beautiful glasses, and I like how they look on the table.  It gives pleasant me memories of my Grandma's home at Thanksgiving when she did the same thing!

Have a great day and evening everyone! 

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
    Marcus Aurelius
  • illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Stopping n to say hi to everyone.  It has been a long two days off for me and though I was not doing a lot of things.....with a couple I had to tie up a fair amt. of time, so I find this ( late Sunday ) that I am just getting around to saying hello. 

As we speak, the smell of turkey is just oozing from every nook and cranny of my kitchen.  I have two pots of bones simmering.  One will be used to make Turkey Pasta soup, and the other to make turkey and noodles.  We will have some for supper and most of the rest will go into the freezer for meals off and on the next few months.  This is one of the best parts of left over turkey, other than the turkey sandwiches that are so very yummy. 

Can you believe that Christmas is just around the bend???  Its not that I can't be ready....for the most part with just Dh and me here, we don't have much to do......but every day closer just gets us closer to what begins to seem like a long winter here

I hope you have all have a really nice week-end.  Hope all have been well and any txs have been easy to handle. 

See you all in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

"The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is who you become." - Heraclitus

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Good morning everyone.  No sun, but no rain either for the last few hours so I am happy.  Finally, success.  I got all my soup made, put in jars and into the freezer.  I left the turkey and noodles out as that was way less than the other and we will eat till it's gone.

Doing some laundry --- I am in catch-up mode from the Saturday shopping.  Thought I would be able to go into the store and find something immediately, but could not.  By the time I did, my time allotment was so far off.  So some jobs will have to be squeezed in where they can.  I think that is my life story.

I hope you will all have a fantastic Monday....with plenty of sun if possible -- I'm missing mine.  It makes me bloom.  See you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited November 2011

Well, the chemo last Wed. kicked my butt.  But of course I had it a day early. I did manage to get Thanksgiving Dinner for me and Hubby, we are having problems with our water well, that makes it interesting.  It may be the Pressure tank needs replaced.  Hubby ran a switch for the pump inside the kitchen wall so we can turn it off and on when we need water.  I hope our well is not going dry with ths drought.  My last chemo will be on this Thursday.  I know it will take a few weeks to start feeling some what better.  I have had alot of muscle and body aches after this last one.  Hope you all survived the holiday, Karra, sounds like your day was alot like some we have had in the past.  Take Care and Hugs

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Marcha....sorry that you have gone a bit downhill.  The last chemo's do seem to feel more harsh, and se's hang on  longer than we would like.  It seemed to me ( I think more due to being desperate to start feeling good ) that my last would never let go....even when I realized I was actually feeling better somewhat.  Like anything....the climb up is rapid in the beginning.  sometimes takes its own sweet time later on.  But.....so wonderful to reach the end.  Hooray for you almost....the end is very close and hopefully.....you'll soon be gaining way more good days to your credit.

I would have been glad to share the rain here.  It's not that we got so much....it is more that we are into our 4th. day of gray and I don't bloom without some sun......so hopefully soon.

See you later.

Hugs, Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited November 2011

Hi Everybody....I'm kind of glad Thanksgiving is over....It was really fun and a lot of work, but I'm getting kind of tired of leftover dressing, sweet-potatoes, but never the gravy...Ha!  

I read somewhere that you can use left-over dressing on top of Shepherds Pie?   I mean using left-over turkey, frozen vegetables, & gravy,  the dressing on top, instead of crust.  It sounds good....and I had frozen some dressing that didn't get baked, so I might try it!.

Marcha....Soooooo good to hear from you...I'm sorry for the way "it" makes you feel.... I will be thinking of you Thursday, and keeping my fingers crossed for an easy time for you.  It won't be long little Marcha....It's almost over. 

Jackie knows more about chemo, than I do....and I know everyone is different, even having the same treatment....but  it's almost over.... NEXT Monday, let us know....thinking of you....

Such a cloudy day here too! But supposed to be REALLY cold this Thursday with possible snow. I just wish it would rain, & clean this earth!   It's so dry hear, and everything looks brown. My Daughter in Orlando wrote that is is raining there, and 75 degrees.... and she loves it! Kind of like in San Francisco, I think....

Kaara, I'll bet you are ALSO glad Thanksgiving is over....  !!  So much going on with you.... And you are going for a consultation in December?   Pretty soon, it will all be over for you too!

Okay, talk to y'all later...xoxox

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,106
    edited November 2011

Hi, everybody.  I just caught up on the posts I missed the last five days while DH and I were on our Thanksgiving trip to IL.  We started home from the Chicago area today.  There was some snow on the car when we came outside to stow the luggage.  We were under way by 6:30 am, MUCH too early. The weather was gray and raw all day.  Not a peep of sunshine.  Then this afternoon it began to snow and the highway got slushy.  The temperature was only 36, fortunately.  Visibility wasn't good so we got off the interstate at Carruthersville, AR, at 3 pm. 

Tomorrow we hope to arrive home in Louisiana.  This motel not only has a hot breakfast in the morning.  It has cocktails and hot foods from 5:30 to 7 in the afternoon.  We had plenty enough to eat so that we won't go out for dinner.  Tonight we'll watch a little of the Saints game on tv but we won't see it all because we'll be trying to catch up on some sleep.

Thanksgiving dinner was very nice at the home of DH's sister in Decatur, IL.  On Fri. we drove to Orland Park, IL, near Chicago.  While there we had our Chicago hotdog fix at Portillo's and also had some Chicago pizza at another family get-together in Barrington.  Now I'm looking forward to getting back home and back on track with my exercise and diet.

Glad to hear from those who reported a nice Thanksgiving holiday.  Now we have Christmas on th horizon! 

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011
    Always give without remembering, and always receive without forgetting. - Brian Tracy
  • illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Carole -- your trip sounded so en-joyful.  That motel sounded so nice that you stayed at in Ar.  Sort of unsual  isn't it -- that many amenities.  Hope you got home safe and sound.  No matter how nice some get-away time is, there is no place like home and your own bed. 

Marcha....hope your doing all right.  Your so close now. 

Chevy -- thinking about you too.  Time for me to look for some jammies and get settled down for the night.

I'll see you all in the morning.

Hugs Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited November 2011
    "Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the ears, by
    the heels, or any other way you can manage it."

-- Mark Twain
  • illinoislady
    edited November 2011

Brrrrr, but good morning.  At long last --- the sun it out.  I'm a happy, happy camper.  I think we went nearly a week without sun and I was started to wither big time.  Now I will be blooming in no time -- of course, the shivering will help. 

I'm still having trouble digesting how close the holidays really are.  At the rate I'm going.....if I could I'd have to move it all to at least February.  Guess I'd better find a way to get with it. 

Hope you are all feeling as good as possible and having a bright sunny day to help you out with life.  I'll be checking back in after work today.  See you then.

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    edited November 2011

Somehow this thread accidentally got deleted from my favorites, so I was out of touch for a few days.  Wondered where everyone was!

Whew...Thanksgiving is just a nice memory and now it's time to begin the decorating for Xmas.  I forgot to have DS take the decorations down from the attic on Thanksgiving, amidst all of the chaos, so now I'm already a week behind! 

Met with medical team today and was impressed with their program.  They even have a nutritionist as part of the team.  I feel comfortable that I was able to meet everyone that I will be interacting with during the surgery and treatment, and I feel much better going into the surgery.

My boyfriend has been such a trooper...has gone to every app't with me..even passing up his golf day...gasp!  I bought him lunch today at Calif Pizza (yes they have gluten free salads) to show how much I appreciate him being there for me.  Takes a load off the kids too with their busy schedules.  So now it's app't with PCP next Monday to do pre op (which took longer than necessary to schedule and I'm not happy) and then to surgery on Dec 12.

Guess I better get busy with the decorations and shopping between now and then!

Sorry about the chemo marcha....I can only imagine, since I haven't had any.

Jackie....keep those wonderful positive thoughts coming...I live for them! 

• Kaara
    edited November 2011

OOPS...forgot to add it back in!  Have a great evening all!

• Chevyboy
    edited November 2011

Hi Kaara...you should feel good after you get home from surgery....but just in case, make everyone wait on you!   We went shopping the day after, but that's because my Daughter was in for Orlando, & didn't want to waste any time, Ha! 

I DID set off the alarm in the store, when leaving, because I still had the radioactive dye from the surgery, Ha!   And you will pee blue for the rest of that day, if you have the same thing.  That dye helps them find your lymph nodes.  Scared me to death when I first saw that.  

Then for the next few days, we shopped and ate out, and the girls took me for the first few MammoSite positioning appts, and for the first few radiation treatments....  THEY shopped.. surprise, surprise!    I really got tired after awhile though....  they ran me ragged.  No time to sit home & feel sorry for myself...Wink  But that was good!  You have a great evening too!

• Kaara
    edited December 2011

chevyboy:  That was the good thing about today...they explained all that would be happening on the day of surgery.  It is quite a process.  Hope I'm up and around and feel good like you did!  I want to enjoy Xmas, but I'm letting someone else do the party this year.

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2011

Morning Gals....My Daughter just bought me the new album by Martina McBride....have you heard this one? xoxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxIt70j_SPk 

She wanted to watch this video with me.....

• Kaara
    edited December 2011

chevyboy:  thanks for sharing...it was beautiful.  I also like the song by The Band Perry.."If I Die Young"...music can be very inspiring and the words meaningful.  

• illinoislady
    edited December 2011
    "May we never let the things we can't have, or don't have,
    spoil our enjoyment of the things we do have and can have."
    -Richard L. Evans
  • Kaara
    edited December 2011

Jackie:  Amen to that!  Have a great day!

• illinoislady
    edited December 2011

Appreciation of life itself, becoming suddenly aware of the miracle of being alive, on this planet, can turn what we call ordinary life into a miracle. We come awake to such a realization when we recognize our connection to a spiritual dimension. -Dan Wakefield

• illinoislady
    edited December 2011

I was missing in action for a very special reason yesterday.  Late Fri. afternoon we drove about 300 miles northwest of where I live, spent the night with some friends there, and they yesterday morning drove 3 more hours to get up near Chicago.  I was able for the first time to go to a X-mas party that is basically for all Illinois women. 

Back in 2007 --- when I first learned ( because of BC ) to find and use a 'blog', I was a little self conscious and so often borrowed words from quotes ( of course, putting the quote as well as author in ) since they often said things that I wanted to get across, but they said them so much better.  Well, the Illinois girls like the quotes so much that they asked if I would find a quote every day for them and put it in.  It has been one of my greatest pleasures to do so. 

Yesterday, is hard to describe.  Everyone made me feel so special and so valued.  Several spoke about often having little if any time to read through the entries, but they always got on our thread and looked for their "quote" so they could start the day right. 

I came home with several nice gifts, but one of the nicest of all was knowing that I have made a difference in the lives of other women with this disease.  Its all I've wanted to do and all I want to continue to do.  So.....today, I'm tired but happy......

Hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday.

Hugs, Jackie

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited December 2011

You certainly deserve their gratitude! And that of all of us ... As you have kept this thread alive through thick and thin.

Pam

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2011

Yes Jackie.....for better or worse, even!  You have stayed here, even when I had given up.   You just seem to always be there for us.....  And we needed that.   I've always had your back, even when things got so turned around, that I just didn't want to even do this anymore.  So thank you for never giving up! 

Your trip sounds so fun!  Glad you could finally do it!  See, EVERYthing is possible!!!  It is so special to feel "valued!"   You give your friendship so easily....that it's easy to understand why your friends return it to you.

Okay....we haven't heard from Marcha lately.....Hope she is alright!   Still so cold here....And supposed to snow again tonight & tomorrow, and get down to 0.....  That's too cold for me.... Gotta find something else to do....Ha!

I cleaned all of my stainless skillets bottoms, and all of my sauce pans, then cleaned the top of the stove....

I worked on the top shelf in a closet yesterday, & stepped backwards into oblivion from the second step!   It's a wonder I didn't really get hurt!  I need one of those things you wear, where you can call for help, Ha!  My DH was just scared when he heard the racket & saw me laying on the floor...Could have been worse.   I had better "stay grounded."  Wink

Talk to y'all later! xoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited December 2011

Hey Chevy......Your not supposed to walk under them OR fall off of them.  Well, I think I need you at my house if you're into cleaning pots and pans.  Mine are so easy....but I avoid it.

Marcha....I'm thinking about you too and hoping all is well. 

I'll see you all in the morning.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited December 2011

PJ --- thank you. 

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited December 2011

couldn't make up my mind, so you get two for the price of one today:

There are no speed limits on the road to excellence. -Unknown

Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of quality; the other, a matter of time. -Uknown

• illinoislady
    edited December 2011

Good morning everyone.....it is raining as we speak.  Off and on since Saturday night.  I am soooo tired of it.  Temp. is about 34, and I'm sure hoping it doesn't drop or this will for sure turn into snow.  I love all the seasons, but I'd rather a rain didn't TURN into a snow --- I'd rather have just one or the other. 

I think I'm starting to get rested up pretty much.  I was so tired yesterday afternoon......sure don't want to feel that today as it is my first day back to work.  It is fun to do something different, but I notice that  ( unlike before ) I'm really going to have to make myself take a nap.  I'm not a good day-time nap person, but I was really spacey and foggy until I allowed myself a little time in the recliner. 

I hope you are all doing fine and having decent weather if you need to be out.  I have to go do a little shopping on line.  Not doing much at all......we are fairly quiet during all the holidays, but need to work on this as the time will pass fast now.

Hope you are all going to have a fantastic day.  Stay well.

Hugs, Jackie