Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited May 2009

Hi Ladies, I will be thinking of you tomorrow when I do the Relay For Life, I will light a

candle of hope for you all. Jo I will see you later with Patoo on pray line. God bless you

all. Debbie

• Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2009

Thanks for asking Jackie. Packing is packing! It's the "getting rid of" I have a problem with. Not with letting go of this stuff - I really don't want it anymore. It's just what to do with it. Maybe I should just pack it all up and move it to the new basement. Then, when I check out, my children will have to deal with it. Sort of a rite of passage. I might have a plan!!! Just kidding, I won't put them through that. ARIMIDEX - I don't even want to talk about all the weight I've gained. My friends tell me that I look great and needed to gain. I'll admit that maybe I needed to gain 10 pounds, but certainly not 25 pounds. I just keep putting off going on a full fledged diet. Guess I'll think about that next week. No idea what's up with this font. Have a great rest of the night.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited May 2009

Lisa:  I too took up geneaology recently.  There are a ton of free forms on the Internet.  A lot o fwork had been done on my maternal side but not so much anywhere else.  How do you go about researching?  Oh yes, your photographs asre breathtaking.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited May 2009

kmccraw

I started geneaology with what we had already in our family ..talked with people and looked at the old bibles...then I went to familysearch.org  the Mormon site...once you get a "hit" you can start the tracing...I used a paper and pencil form going back 15 generations on two sides ...I started each of them..not with me but with one of my grandparents..made it easier...I used some of the other sites as well...there is a Mormon library here in San Diego, so I went there...anyone can use it...I am not a Mormon and they were very friendly...they also had classes there..along with computers and microfiche and books..lots of information...I had to get actual birth, death marriage certificates to verify relationships.for such groups as DAR, Colonial Dames of the XXVII th Century, Mayflower, etc..

That part wasn't very easy because most of my relatives arrived in the colonies and we are on the other coast, but I did it..at least that far..some states and countries kept really good records and others not...

I did get back to the year 36 AD on two sides of the family tree...interesting to actually see the history of the world in just your family...

So..there is alot of information out there...searching is half the fun..

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2009

Good morning Chooks- It's a beautiful morning here in SW MO--makes me think of getting out and digging in some flower beds, but I believe instead I'll report to the Cancer Center for Taxol #2. I don't have to take as many steroids as I did last week, so hope to avoid the "crash" or whatever that was that pounded  me into mush until yesterday.   Then, maybe I'll bake another rhurbarb treat--JO, I hadn't thought about rhubarb for years.  I'm so glad you posted those recipes!!

Take care, Ladies--Later.  Helen

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited May 2009

Good luck today with the taxol, Helen!  Unfortunately it is raining and storming in Illinois again today.  It appears that my lawn will grow a little taller and my golf game is cancelled.  I guess I should quit whining and get busy in this house! 

• amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2009

Good Late Afternoon Ladies,

Busy day today and tomorrow. Lots of cleaning and getting ready.  I think that in yesterday's post I said that Uno was tonight, it's tomorrow night.

Allison, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and it will get done.  Then do the same when you get to the new house.  I took it one box at a time. I kept thinking the same thing, --- why don't I just let the kids have it all, and here I am just about settled and happy with it all and I'll be darned if the kids will get it all now.  LOL

Thanks SoCalGal for the geneology info.  I think I will look into it.  My mothers half sister did my mom's side of the family back about 5 generations or so but no one has done my dad's.  They are the Pennsy Dutch.  Good solid Black Forest Germans I am told.  Should all be Lutheran's but somewhere in there they became Catholics.  Bet it was the one Kelly somebody back there married.  LOL

Off to do lots of busy work. Probably talk to you all Sunday or Monday.  Plan to make Rhubarb on Sunday.

Have a good one Ladies.

Hugs,Pam

• swimangel72
    swimangel72 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2009

This was a cute link - about the good 'ol days in the 60's - I was about 4 years too young to be part of Woodstock, but this is a fun nostalgia trip with photos and music:

http://objflicks.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm

All my scans are over yay! I spend nearly the entire day at the hospital for cat scans and the muga - but did manage to do a little shopping in between. The technologist was happy to tell me my muga scan came in at 66% - basically the same as when I first started Herceptin last year - yay! Hopefully all the cat scans will be normal too! Hope everyone's enjoying their day - the sun is shining beautifully here, but they're calling for rain t his weekend, too bad.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258
    edited May 2009

Swimangel - How fantastic to have all your scans done and a GREAT Muga to boot.  Now, hope you get really great news on your scans that show you are healthy everywhere. 

Jo - thank gosh for freezers....and in the middle of winter if the mood strikes you can have a good ole' Rhubarb Crisp or Pie.  You are a great Mom --- my Mom loved to bake pies or little loaves of bread and give them to us.  And you know....I was always sure I tasted something extra in what she gave me because using her recipe mine didn't taste as good.  Then one day it dawned on me.....the loving thoughts she must have had while she was cooking something special for the people  she loved must have fell right in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and that was what I tasted.  I can still picture her hands as she kneaded bread or cut home-made noodles, or made the strawberry pie we adored.  Moms are very special and very precious and I know I had one of the best.

Pam - sounds like you are going to have a busy week-end if we won't hear from you for a bit.  Hope you don't work too hard....did you change your mind and decide to go help Allison after all.

Well I have to go clean out my kitty screen room and than fix myself something to eat....and then I'm going to dump myself into my recliner as it has been a hard two days at work.

Hope you all have a good Friday night ---  I think I am going to try to catch that special on Farrah Faucett tonight.  Not sure if I'll find it upsetting or not, but I thought I'd start it at least....and see if I felt I could get through the whole thing. 

Hugs,

Jackie

• amE2
    edited May 2009

Hi,

Sorry had to jump in here for two things.

Frist, Wow Swimangel, great to have the scans over with and I am praying for good results for you.  I was noticing that you are ER+ PR+ and HER/2+.  I was told that would be the best combination I could have.  You are lucky.  I guess they have the best drugs for that combo.  I missed it on the HER/2+  Also what is a Muga scan?

Jackie, I loved your thoughts about your mom.  What a nice way to say that her cooking was good.  My mom is a great cook also and she loved to cook for us and for parties and get together's etc.  I can now think of her as putting her loving caring thoughts right into the food.  Thank you for that inspiring way of looking at mom's and cooking.

Hugs

Pam

• Alpal
    edited May 2009

Swim - Loved the video! I graduated from high school in '65, so was right in the middle of it. Luckily, the hippie stuff didn't really hit KY til the early 70's and by that time I was married with a baby. Just as well, because I probably would have headed to SF in a VW bus!  Gram - hope your tx went ok. Jo - just hearing about all you do wears me out. You deserve a rest. Pam - your uno group sounds like fun. I play bridge occasionally but am really bad, so I just fill in. That's a plus because then I don't have to host it! I'll try to take your advice re packing but I do tend to obsess about undone things. NO WAY will I watch poor Farah's show. The Today Show interviews with Ryan O'Neal have about finished me off! I'll just watch HGTV, as usual. Lisa, your pics are breathtaking. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2009

Hey Chooks--

O.k.  Taxol went well--as you can see, It's Midnight and I'm still steroid buzzing, but the NP said that in about 36 hours (!!) I should be over it.  I've had no neuropathy or pains--with this--just deep fatigue.  During the pre-infusion blood work, the nurse had taken one vial and when she attached the second, the vein just disappeared/quit/rolled ???.  Never had that happen. Since she already had the needle in, she kept moving it around and luckily I didn't feel anything, but my arm there looks like it was dipped in purple ink!  Then during the infusion itself, I got bored, got up to stretch and walk my pole around, came back to my recliner, plugged me back in and somehow got the cord so wound up that when the drip switched to the second bag, it didn't pump.  There I sat, eating peanuts and drinkin' Coke with no progress for about 15 minutes.  The nurse cranked it up and I got out of there at a reasonable time.

Has anyone else noticed a significant number of Viet Nam vets in the infusion rooms?  I saw two today and got to thinking about how many I've seen since I began this in February.  Looks to me like many lung issues involved.  Just wondering.

Apal, Swim, Pam  I enjoyed the video as well.  Graduated from HS in '64 (45th reunion coming up in July and I have told only my best friend from back then about the BC.  My plan was to go, wear my wig, and just see if I could "pass" before telling anyone else.  However, some friends are pressing the "Are you going to make it (HEE, HEE--different meaning for me now!!) and I keep trying to put them off.  I have absolutely no idea as to whether I can physically get myself there--5 hour drive, nor whether emotionally I feel like a large crowd.  They apparently have lives so organized, that they want to know for planning purposes (again HEE, Hee).  I'm certainly not embarassed by the BC--everyone I work with, and all of my college classes know it.  Just for once, I wanted to be suave (??)  --I was the one who showed up for the 10th reunion pregnant and wearing a maternity tent while the other women were wearing palazzo pants and cute little tops.  I was the one falling asleep during the banquet while the others were getting ready to go dancing. 

I was the one who, (just for fun), wore my 1964 cat's eye eyeglasses to the 15th reunion --and the only comments were, "Oh, hi, Helen"  just like nothing else had changed!!    SO THIS HAS MORPHED INTO THE CONFESSIONS OF A NERD!  I'll admit it...I did make a bad marriage decision (33 years) , but I've moved on-- I'm happy with my profession, have two teriffic sons and you know about the gkids already...BUT I'M STILL A NERD.  If I get to the reunion, I expect that several of my classmates have turned into Nerds, too--maybe I just beat them to it!

JO, Pam, Jackie, My mom  (Oh GREAT, JUST LOST A WHOLE PARAGRAPH) was a good cook...I could never make her boiled chocolate frosting--she'd beat it for the longest time, then I got to lick the spoon when she cleaned out the pan.  But her mom was probably a little better cook.  Grandma would make egg noodles and roll out the dough so thin, then roll it up and cut it.  My sis and I would unroll it, and sneak a roll or two to eat raw whenever we could.  When Grandma "caught" us, usually not until we were seriously depleting the rolls, she'd tell us to "Stop!  YOu'll get WORMS!  Didn't phase us a bit.

O.K. Chooks, I'm folding up the tent...I'm going to try taking 1/2 an Ambien or I'll be up all night for sure. 

Take care--rest easy...Helen

• illinoislady
    edited May 2009

A walk down memory lane.  Thank you Swimangel.  So much I had forgotten.  I was married in 1966 and living in Detroit, Michigan....not all that far from the Motown Recording Studios.  For a time we lived in some apts. downtown....so that is why we were that close. 

Dare I say Dh ( at that time ) and I and another couple went to a huge park on one week-end as there was a love-in scheduled.  I know I was very naive' then and did not actually GET most of it.  In hind-sight.....the weird smell was probably marijuana being smoked ---  guess I thought it was just dirty un-washed hippies and it seemed they were in abundance.  Dare I say it all seemed like a very, very large bunch of shiftless, boundless, not very clean people who had very little to do and who weren't always very good musicians or singers. 

I think I enjoyed to a degree seeing this first hand but in my naivete had no idea what they were trying to prove and thought it a bit ridiculous.  Just hard to have faith then in a bunch of dirty people.  I was not receptive I guess to the message then.

I did however, enjoy he music and many of the other events of the 60's ---- going to the moon, which was a comic book fantasy etc.  Great people of the era etc.  Lots of good memories well worth the keeping.

Gramof3 - Aren't those steroids wild.  I think I took them more on the Taxotere than I did the A/C as I had to start them the day before infusion until the day or so after.  Of course....helps in large part with the se's, but then I would be so dopey sleepy after I came off of them.  Well, your body needs the rest AND  that was a pretty good way to get it.  For about four days after I dozed 90% of the time.....only functioned well if I had something ( like going to the feral cat colony sites to feed ) that had to be done.  Else wise I had little brain function ---  too busy being drowsy. 

Hope you all have a fantastic day.  Cloudy here, but sunny for the next week.  Life is good again..  I thrive in the sun and my energy level comes way up. 

I'll be checking in later.

Hugs,

Jackie

• Alpal
    edited May 2009

My onc didn't give me pre-meds, only benedryl and steroids with the infusion. He said only a "tiny" bit of steroids, but I had more energy the night of and day following treatment than any other time during the whole cycle. Hmmm - maybe I can get him to give me just a "tiny" bit now to take PRN. LOL Sort of gives me an idea why they might be attractive to athletes. I do know that many of our sisters who have to take large doses, absolutely hate them and they have awful side effects. Jackie - you're right about the sunshine and energy levels. It's sunny out now and hopefully will stay that way, but I don't think that's the forecast. Wish I could take pics of my peonies to share with all of you. They are absolutely beautiful and I hate to leave them. They were here when we moved here, but I've cherished them. Probably about 40 bushes. All different shades of pink with a few white ones here and there. I'll miss them.  Jo - I'm still pretty straight, but definitely more "live and let live" the older I get. Also, more liberal than I ever was in my younger days. My children think it's pretty neat that I'm so accepting of diversity, even 'tho I'm old! Hope all of you have a great weekend.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited May 2009

JO that looks great...

just some flowers to cheer us up...

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited May 2009

Jo - How pretty!  Am I missing the doll?

Just realized that today is my one-year cancerversary.  Never thought about it all day.  So many women do something special on their day...shoot, I guess I owe myself a dish of ice cream!  Maybe with rhubarb compote!!

Helen and Swim - now, onward and upward.

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited May 2009

Lisa - how stunning!!

Susan

• footprintsangel
    edited May 2009

Hi Friends, I finish the Relay for Life, I lit a candle for this line, God bless

you all, We are not older were better. Take care, I love those flowers Lisa.

God bless you all. Debbie

• amE2
    edited May 2009

Hi Laides,

It's late and I am on my way to bed, all Uno friends gone for the evening.

I had to stop in long enough to read and say:

JO:  Just exquisite.  You did a beautiful job.  I would never ever have believed it was anything but marble and I love marble hearths.  Thanks for sharing the pics.

AND LISA: Beautiful flowers, so uplifting.  Here I am with my eyes half closed and just had to comment as they are such nice eye candy.

Bless you all ladies, expecially those that are fighting with steroids.  Another of those things I may have to face somewhere down the line.

Nite,

Pam

• swimangel72
    swimangel72 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2009

JO - I'm AMAZED with the work you did on your fireplace! My fireplace sounds similar to your original version - red brick (mine goes all the way to the ceiling - and has very dark ugly grout, almost black) - and the cement hearth and mantel. I'm going to show my DH what you did - how DID you make the hearth look like marble? Just using paint?! Simply AMAZING and beautiful too! Oh I can see the little doll on the mantle sitting in the rocking chair.......whenever I see something old my imagination tries to restore it to it's original "youth"...........and I like to know the story of the original owner. I used to love looking at old pianos (back in the day when I was piano-shopping)........but it would make me sad too thinking how once-upon-a-time, the ivory keys used to be so much lighter in color and the wood shiny and new - and someone bought the piano for someone special - I picture a child sitting there practicing (as I picture a child playing with your antique doll). And though the child may have long passed on, there remains the beloved object, with untold stories buried within.

Ooh - lightning and thunder is shaking my house - time to hit "submit" and go to bed before I scare myself too much, lol! G'night sweet ladies!

• illinoislady
    edited May 2009

SoCalLisa - Your pictures are always so artistic and beautiful.  Makes a person want to go out to a garden somewhere and just spend hours there.  You sure have the " gift ". 

Jo -  I think you as well have the "artist" in you and obliviously feel, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well.  I think the 'marble' is stunning and you would almost have to know * it's not real * as I think someone just coming to your house would probably think it has always been that way.

Pam -  Hope your games went well.  I really like Uno....played since I was a youngin' but this time of year not much time left over for games....drat.  Well, we always have time to check and make sure all is right here anyway.  I always make sure to check in here so I know everyone i ok. 

Swimangel - You have a nice way of looking at older things......and trying to decide what the story was or is behind them.  I never thought in that way.....I just always thought....how wonderful that these things have survived from another era and lifetime....and that someone always thought of them as special as they are still here. 

I'm off and running for the day.  Will be a long one but I'll be checking back.

Hugs,

Jackie

P.S.

Footprint angel -  How wonderful that you thought of lighting a candle for all of us here.  You are indeed an angel and I thank you very sincerely and appreciate the prayers.  Blessings to you.

• ritajean
    edited May 2009

OH JO!  HOW GORGEOUS!!!  Don't delete the pictures!  They brighten up the thread.  What an amazing job you did!  I am super impressed as I wouldn't have even attempted the renovation.

• PhyllisCC
    PhyllisCC Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2009

Lisa,

Thank you for the beautiful pics... I don't post much, but just wrap you photos around me.  Phyllis

• illinoislady
    edited May 2009

I second Rita's plea --- please don't delete the pictures...you know what they say.....

" A thing of beauty is a joy forever " and the marble fireplace as well at the flowers are just inspiring to look at.....they just give off such positive feelings.  I would not like to 'lose' them either.

Hugs,

Jackie

• Alpal
    edited May 2009

Jo - your fireplace is a work of art. I have seem many faux marble finishes and I've never seen one as good as yours. Please, don't remove the pictures as I have several friends I want to show them to. (Ended that sentence with a preposition but don't have sense enough to rephrase it)  Hope all have had a wonderful weekend. It is cold here! I refuse to turn on the furnace, so guess I'll go find a sweatshirt.

• footprintsangel
    edited May 2009

Hi Ladies, I am getting ready to see the cancer Dr the 20th. I am not happy

with the care I am getting, Might change Drs. I will see. I hope you have a wonderful

week. Take care, Debbie

• ritajean
    edited May 2009

Debbie, if you're not happy, look around.  Much of our positive attitudes comes from a sense of security and trust with our oncs.  Be proactive if you need to be to find the right one for you.  That relieves LOTS of stress, which we certainly don't need!  Hugs!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2009

JO, love the marble.  It looks so real. 

Hi Debbie,  Will keep you in prayer for your doctor appt on Wednesday that you will find the support there that you need for the maintenance of your health.

• amE2
    edited May 2009

Hi Ladies,

Well the moonsoons have started in Sunny Southwest Florida and will go on until the beginning of July.  Today we get to enjoy the rain alllllll day long.  :-)  I am smiling so I don't scream.  LOL Rain can be very depressing. 

Debbie, I have been very lucky, the only Doc I have that might have given me trouble with was my surgeon and I didn't have to deal with him as I am not having surgery right now.  I pray you find just the right exactly perfect Doc for you or communicate more with the one you have.  A Doc that makes you uncomfortable would be horrible as we have enough difficult feelings to deal with.  Sigh.

No pie ladies, sorry Jo but the Rhubarb that Robs freind gave him had no taste at all.  Didn't taste tart or sweet or anything.  It tasted more like any plant would taste if you ate the stem.  Like eating the stem of -- Spinach ---. I am going to keep looking to see if I can buy some, because I am in Florida sometimes the growing seasons are different.

Please leave the pics up --- I like re-looking at the flowers and am trying to keep up with the doll stories and others working on fireplaces. 

UNO was fun, everyone has decided my positive thinking is important if to no one else, at least to me.  LOL.  My nurse/lung cancer friend was the most important to me and we had a long talk Sat. night, she has a nurse friend on Arimidex that is at the 5 year mark and has flatly told her doc she "will not" go off of it even if she has to go to another Doc.  So now my nurse friend understands how much help the Arimidex has been for me. 

OK, I am off to work at hanging drapes again.  I never got them done as I had to much cleaning to do for UNO.  (Oh, we play "Attack Uno"  it's a little more lively and lots of fun for adults considering it is a childs game.) So now I have to get back to my "one project a day" schedule.

Have a great one Ladies,

Hugs,

PamW

• Alpal
    edited May 2009

Hi all - another pretty day here but not as cold as yesterday. Got lots done over the weekend and my son and dil have decided to come have another look at the new additions to the "cast offs" so that's a good. thing. Debbie - I am so sorry you're not pleased with your care. I have complete faith in my docs. They have been wonderful. My onc, in particular, makes me feel I am his only patient. Probably helps that in the small town you run into them often away from the office. Just found out our new place has pigeons roosting in the attic. Think I've handled all the curve balls thrown my way fairly well, but I don't do critters! Absolutely fall apart. I can deal with snakes, but not fur or wings! Yeesh! Oh well - just one more thing. Have a good one!