Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2012

Chevy:  That was nice..thanks for sharing!

Ducky:  If you just go to the simpletruths.com website you can sign up and receive e mails from them as well as have access to all of their inspirational material at no cost.  This way you can pick and choose what you want to view and read.  There is something on there for everyone...I used it a lot when I was in business as an inspirational tool for my business associates. 

• jennifer1
    jennifer1 Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2012
    Its all good here today, Thunderstoms coming, phone is turned off and peace pervails.  Like a good thunderstorm, mother nature does amazing work.  Always wanted to see a valcano in action because of the display however that problaby wont happen.  We dont have many in Kansas. 

The elephant has left the room, have a great day everyone.
  • ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited February 2012

Got your back Sister!

• jennifer1
    edited February 2012

How cool is that.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited February 2012
    THAT was good! Wink
  • jennifer1
    edited February 2012

By the way Jackie, I am stealing your elephant thing, like it.  I actually look in the room to make sure it is not here.

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2012

It's okay.....she isn't THAT big!  Wink

• jennifer1
    edited February 2012

Cute elephant and don't look threatening at all.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,500
    edited February 2012

Then it's settled....we keep her.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited February 2012

I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate. -Elbert Hubbard

• barbiecorn
    barbiecorn Member Posts: 86
    edited February 2012

I am curious how many seniors (I am 66) - on this forum have HER2+.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,283
    edited February 2012

Weighing in at 68.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    edited February 2012

Guess I have Minus two and  Barbie beat.  I am 69 as of Last Sat.....  Been married to the same wonderful man for coming up to 52 years in June. (although we have had tough times once in a while).  He has been my rock thru this challenge!!!!

• jennifer1
    edited February 2012

Well today is good, saw they are giving a vaccine in San Antonio (by the military) to prevent reoccurance.  Not sure why the military is doing this.  Thursday I will take all the information to my personal doctor and tell her I want it.  The VA should work with the military hospital so just maybe I can get it  although today the elephant is not in the room so things are all good. 

The sun is out and weather is great in Kansas so opened the windows to enjoy.

Everyone have a great day

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited February 2012

Age 66, Her 2 +, er/pr -.    

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2012

Hi gals!  I'm 74....closing in on 75!  Yikes that sounds old.. But I don't feel any older than when I was 50....guess that's good.

Do any of you guys have that elephant in the room with your DH?  I mean where there are some things that you just don't talk about, for fear of some sort of explosion?    Man, oh man!  Some things are just better off kept to yourself.... if you know what I mean....

• Kaara
    edited February 2012

Chevy:  There could be an entire new thread started on that one:-)  We could start with the kids..his and mine.  We have a rule.  We don't talk negatively about the other's kids because it always decends into a full blown argument.  It's completely off limits!

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2012
    I know!  Or about each other's families!  Or the neighbors....Or blah, blah, blah! Wink
  • jennifer1
    edited February 2012

Vickie congrads on being married to a good one.  I have been married for (not sure I was ever single) ever and he is not hardly a rock.  More like a sponge.  Dont make him bad, just not up to what you got.

Kaara, are we related, I have the same kids.

Chevy agree, elephant is the husband.  When I told him I wanted that vaccine, he said why I was fixed.  Idiot

• jennifer1
    edited February 2012

Oops let me add in his defense his sister had bc 45 years ago and she is 85 now. No chemo, no rads, just mx so he thinks it nothing because of her.  I figure she just got lucky. 

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited February 2012

I'm 5 weeks to 55.  The women in my family barely get into 60s, so I will call meself older now and go for the gold becasue my grandma got to 104.

MOMMARCH - how are you doing?  Did the tests give you any more challenges or relief?  I still have a lump but it proved to be fluid.  The meds you let go of recently, did that help too?

I got 1/3 of my results back today, all looked normal in serums and cancer markers etc, according to my pathologist / integrative medical doctor.  Bone scan and hormone and thyroid, awaiting results.

• Kaara
    edited February 2012

Essa:  Glad your tests are looking good so far..hope that good fortune continues.  

Jennifer1:  Kids..what can I say..They can be a pain in the a$$ and I know it, but I'm the only one who can say that!  My boyfriend feels the same about his, so we just don't go there.  Together we have 7, so that would be a lot of friction if we allowed it to happen.  And to top it off, we have 9 grands and one great grand ranging in ages from 23 to 7 months!  We just try to enjoy them when we are fortunate enough to be graced by their presence!

The second year my boyfriend and I were together we got the entire family together and rented a ski lodge in Breckenridge..there were 17 of us in all.  When I think back, it had the probability of being a total disaster, but it turned out to be a perfect family vacation.  Of course, this was when I was still working and had some discretionary income "pay for it and they will come" was the motto back then.  We've never been sorry..it was the best money we ever spent..the kids all bonded and have been good friends ever since.  It makes for some great memories.

Have a wonderful day everyone! 

• illinoislady
    edited February 2012
    "When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring
    out the best in ourselves."

-- William Arthur Ward
  • illinoislady
    edited February 2012

Wow  !!!!!!  ?????  Things got livened up a little around here.  I will be 66 this Sept. and only saying it that way as I'm closer to the birthday right now than not.  I don't spend too much time in what if's, or even thinking of the past.....though the times when I do [ look back for some reason ]  I can see how so many of the events that occurred had a huge hand in determining what my life has been up to now.......and how much I've learned along the way.  It shows a pattern of growth......and I am not at all un-happy.  I feel like what I see has always been trying to come up a bit.....rather then regress. 

jennifer.....there are in fact people who could conceivably ( though I don't know anyone ) discover they have a cancer.....elect to do nothing about it, and it would resolve totally on its own.  I feel those cases --- certainly now  --- are very few and far between.  I mean in our populated society and with so many willing and able to avail themselves of medical care, it is handled differently for sure.  I think those cases were poorer, perhaps a bit less educated people who just accepted what life presented.  But it has happened.  My hubby is very supportive.....stood by me all through, and always urges anything which will keep me well and functioning.  We have a number of other areas not working nearly as well -- after 37 yrs ( second marriage for both os us ) we both have no desire to change.  We will hang in there as we feel better suited to each other at this late stage of the game then we could be to anyone else. 

Essa.....wishing the very best for you and at least 100 with minimal se's.  Hope the rest of your tests are just as good.

Kaara:  Isn't is special when something turns out good.  I recall the times when I had no expectations at all ( your they will come sort of thing ) and it was all pretty delightful.  Our minds are powerful beyond the pale --- if we can keep it neutral.....it just falls into place as though it were staged that way.  It is difficult though sometimes though given the range of family personalities.  My family are not without some "battle" scars that are not likely to resolve though we have a pleasant truce with boundaries established.  I suspect the way it may be for a lot of families.

Hope the sun is shining bright today for all of you.  It is sure nice here.  Didn't get to see the weather report ( up to late this a.m. ) so hope it is going to last through the day.

Have a great one.

Hugs, Jackie

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited February 2012

Jackie, Are you the Virgo part or Libra part of September. I will be 66 also in September. Libra. Always trying to balance and keep the peace.

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited February 2012

Good News, the knot is a seroma.  Radiologist said if it is not bothering me there is no reason to do anything.  I was due for my yearly mamo the 1st of March so they went ahead and did it all while I was there.  I really like this center they tell you right up front if there is a problem or if it is OK. 

I do feel better since I am off the Med, I start Tamoxifin on Feb. 27th.  We will see what happens with it.  If I can not take it I am not trying anything else right now.  I know it is to reduce the reocurrence but I will just let the Lord take care of that.

Hope all is well with everyone today

• Chevyboy
    edited February 2012

Mommarch..... My Docs said the same.... My seroma would take care of itself, especially with the Mammograms.  You only have to go once a year for a mammo?    Hope you will do good with the Tamoxifen! 

Yes Jennifer....some gals are just plain lucky!!  My Daughter's friend, who is older is doing not so well.  In a wheel chair, mets everywhere....  She refused any further treatment after the surgery.... That was two years ago, like me.... but she declined anything!  Now she is doing very powerful chemo, and my Daughter says it's only a matter of time now..... 

We all feel so bad about it.   But she remains pretty up-beat...even though her DH is asking for a divorce.  You know what I would do to that old fart?  That's right!  What ELSE can happen to her?  She is in a nursing home, was advised to go to hospice, but wants to stay where she is.  Did I mention they are about 85?

Anyone want to go with me to hunt that old guy down & shake him till his teeth fly into next week?

Yes Jackie...seems like the longer we are married, the more alike we become...or more tempered to each others quirks!   Not counting the above Husband of the Year!   He doesn't deserve to be counted among the living. 

I'm making a little pot of different beans and lentils with vegetable soup mix, and then adding a little pasta at the end.  

I just straightened out our spare garage!  DH helped me with some of it.... Now I know where everything is!  I see the mice have been camping out there....Even snooped around a box of tea I had!  Now there is NOTHING edible in there....  I don't mind them sleeping in there, but just get up and leave!

I think I'm going to have my favorite drink.....a chocolate coke....Wink

• jennifer1
    edited February 2012

Kaara, while I love the kids, one daughter, two grandson and greatgrandbaby, they sure can do some drama.  Usually I am the peacemaker so busy doing that.

Jackie, I will be 66 on Aug 26th so we are close in age.  My dh isnt mean or bad just old school and it takes him a long time to catch up.  His sister had mx and is fine.  This is before we had teams and she had a family doctor that did the surgery.

Mommarch, I take tamoxifen, couldnt stand the others and so far so good.  I dont have near the se's.  I do take an asprin a day to prevent bloodclots (if that works).  I feel like it is doing its little job and I dont want to worry anymore.  My onco says very few people have the serious side effects of it. 

Chevyboy, chocolate cokes, omg I am jealous.

Essa I will problaby be talking to you 30 years from now on this site.  Hang in

Its a beautiful day in Kansas , going to shop and do errands.

Everyone have a nice day

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited February 2012

Ok, ladies............so far I am the "old goat"...........will be 77 in April.................However I am her2-.................guess when you get that old.........everything on your body is negative.......haha

My Elephant died 20 years ago, so I can't say how he would have been..........but honestly he never took "bad news" very well....................................until he got the "bad new".........Pancreatic cancer...................and he took it like a champ................but remember it was "he", and not "me" who got it..................................had it been me with the BC while he was still alive, and healthy.......................I doubt he would have ever talked about it, and would have sworn................"your fine", once everything was done and over with."

Guess I'll never know will I, but past experience tells me we would have had a "Herd" in the room.......................hugs.

• Kaara
    edited February 2012

mommarch:  Glad to hear the good news! That is a relief I'm sure!

Went to the mall today and bought the cutest little dresses for my 3 little grand babies.  They were only $12.00 each...I saw them at Kohl's for twice that, so I snapped them right up.  They would make cute Easter outfits, but the one that lives in Vail can't wear hers until summer.  I just can't see spending $50 and $60 for dresses that they outgrow so quickly..it seems like such a waste and these were so precious.

It was a fun day, but I'm dragging...don't know if it's leftover from my cold, or the tamoxifen is making me tired, but I could lie down right now and go to sleep.  It's not like me.  Yesterday I thought I would try and meditate and I woke up an hour later...don't think that's the way it's supposed to be done!