Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,628
    edited March 2013

Those were the days............I watched Kate Smith for some time.  Would be interesting to look up her biography I think, don't you???  We did,of course, only hear things on the radio, but as we were the first 'family' in our town to have a t.v. I did get to watch her as well.  Must be an age thing Chevy --- ok, I know it is partly clothes, but Kate Smith did not look all that BIG in the dress she had on and she moved with style and grace.  I think back in those days ( since no one equated it with health ) being heavier was not looked at with the same feelings we now have.

I hope you all have a great Saturday.  We are continuing to have the little tiny snow flurries which won't put anything on the ground, so it is nice to see it snow, but we won't have to use ice melt, shovel the walks or do anything special but just enjoy.  Next week it will warm.....almost to 60 and though I don't know what we can really expect ( considering the global warming ) I'm thinking this is the time we normally all start thinking Spring.  I hope it soon will be. 

Peace and love,

Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,119
    edited March 2013

I didn't know that Kate Smith was the inspiration for "it's not over 'til the fat lady sings."  I always thought the fat lady was probably an opera singer.  Most of the sopranos were always fat.

It's cold here today but sunny.  High in the 50's and supposed to be windy.  DH will be playing golf.  I'm thinking I will walk in the neighborhood for 2 or 3 miles, depending on how cold the wind really is.

I had such a nice feeling of "tired" last night after being outside and doing some activity.  DH said the same thing about himself. 

Not quite sure what I will do today.  Hope everyone has a nice Saturday.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited March 2013

Jackie i did read about Kate Smith (yrs. ago) so my memory is poof--but I do remember she was a very nice person and people gravitated to her and she was very giving. And u'r right--(weight factor not being healthy) but no one ever even watched her and mention her weight but she carried it with dignity and everyone always enjoyed her.

• carolehalston
    edited March 2013

My niece had a day to herself today.  Her two older children were with their father and the youngest was with her daddy.  So we went to a local "spa," and I use that word very loosely.  We each had a pedicure and manicure.  Afterwards we put our socks and shoes back on!  It's too cold for sandals today.

Next we went to Penney's and I bought her a sweater with my birthday coupon.  Then we went to Cafe du Monde and had a cafe au lait (me) and a mocha (her) and an order of beignets (doughnuts sprinkled with powdered sugar) to share.  I haven't indulged in eating beignets in a long-g-g-g time and thoroughly enjoyed my portion.  

Now I'm back at home with a fire in the little fireplace.  It has gotten colder as the day went on.  I fear dh may be freezing his butt off out on the golf course.

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited March 2013

Didn't do much today.Cold and gloomy here, maybe some light snow tonight and tomorrow.

Called the vet yesterday to say Kitty was better. She must have heard me, now back to barely eating. Think Ill try giving the antibiotic by dropper again, been putting it in her food.

Haven't heard anything from DD, she's not  very communicative. Hoping that's good.

JUst hearing about one of the Maple sugar festivals around here. Part of spring in this area still.

I seem to be doing OK , so far on the Arimidex. I do think my arthritis is a little worse. Some at seniors say they have trouble sleeping, but I haven't experienced that . Carole, your spa day reminds me I have a couple of gift cards from Christmas. Have to treat myself to a massage one of these days. Get next weeks surgeon and Cardio and Kidney  sono out of the way first. Wondering when to expect my post op mammo? That one is still a bit tender, not looking forward to it.

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

Oh Carole u had a great day cold or not--the fireplace sounds great too.

Bonnets I don't blame u just the word Dr. makes me cringe now a days and then add the word test and I'm really miserable. and they usually go toether. LOL

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

May the sun bring you new energy by day. May the moon softly restore you by night. May the rain wash away your worries. May the breeze blow new strength into your being. May you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life.

Apache blessing

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Happy, happy Sunday.  Hope it is great for everyone.  I'm Cherokee ( well 1/8 is ) but loved the Apache blessing.

Love and peace,

Jackie

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2013

Good to be back!

Spent the last week skiing in Breckenridge with my DD, DGD, and DGS.  We had an awesome time.  My DGD came from Hawaii to meet us, complete with backpack full of dirty clothes that needed laundering, but it was worth it to see her so happy.  She is living off the land, staying in a treehouse, doing organic farming, and loving life!  Her philosophy is that the universe will provide what she needs, and that seems to happen for her.  She attracts good people and good things to her wherever she goes...such a beautiful spirit!

I have a week home alone before my BF returns from Greenville, so I am going to make the most of it cleaning and organizing things, as well as catching up with friends I have neglected over the last two months.

Lots of reading to do on the site, but hope everyone is doing well.  Sending lots of positive energy everyone's way!!

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited March 2013

HI Ladies,

Mommarch - so sorry to hear about your job. Good luck and I hope they let you set the record straight. You should not have had to apologize to that student.

Bonnets -glad to hear they are talking and giving their marriage a chance. So many young kids now days just think divorce is the easy out and never gives their marriage a chance to work. I always told my boys that marriage was just like a job, you had to work at it to make it work and it was a 50/50 take and give. My prayers go out to your family that everything will work out.

Ritajean - have a safe trip back.

Jackie - I remember Kate Smith She had an amazing singing voice.

Regbeach - I was all for a mx when told I had cancer but after talking with doctors and BS I opted for a lumpectomy, with mammosite radiation and not chemo and Femara for the 5 yr medication.. Not sure if it was the best choice but at the time it was the best choice for me. Talk with doctors and family before deciding what you will do. It does get easier with decisions once you have all the choices and information. Good luck.

Started my dr. appt. again last week. So far okay. Yesterday was my 3yr NED. I celebrated that along with my birthday. All the ds and dil gave cards about age (64 years) and teased alot but it was good to either see the 3 families around us and hear from the family in PA. 

Have to see the ongolist this month. Not looking forward to the visit but nerves always get the best of me when these visits start.

We are suppose to start getting snow tomorrow and Tuesday. They are predicting about 6-8 inches. I love the snow on the ground but not on the roads.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Emmy

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited March 2013

Howdy everyone,

It got up to 70 degrees here today and some wind but not bad.  I finished my letter and it is 4 pages. I got on line and sent in a medicaid application, doubt if I get it.  Will contact unemployment tomorrow, could not get their web site to work. I did not take my ambien last night and I put in an awful night, so I have taken it now and hope for a good nights sleep.

Take Care

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Kaara....glad to see you back.  Though you have a lot of work, it is probably nice to have a slight break from your friend.  At least, being on your own will help you be maybe a bit more productive when it comes to the things you need to get done.

Emmy/termite....nothing does much I don't think for that slight feeling of dread that comes right before we go to the Dr's. who could give us news we would not like to hear.  I'm sure it is one of the biggest reasons we hang around with one another.  It is not that we don't care how we are about other medical issues we might have, but they don't seem to inspire the 'is this a death sentence' fear that we all seem to go through when we first hear those that dreadful three word diagnosis in the beginning.  I think in time we get somewhat better, but that makes such a deep impression and every time we go to "one" of those Dr'.s a little of it gets reawakened.  Sigh !!!!   Just the way it is now.

mommarch....glad you got your letter/paperwork done.  I also hope that it puts things in the proper perspective.  Not only do I hope that you get what is right for your situation, but that in perhaps some other way you might make it easier for those who may come behind you.  It is not retribution, but putting something to rights that should not be happening....to you or anyone else. 

Time for me to think of settling down for the evening.  Work tomorrow.......wow -- the week-end went fast.  Well, there will be another, and another, and another......so I'll just be grateful for this one.

Peace and Love to all,

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

If things are tough, remember that every flower had to go through a whole lot
    of dirt to get there.  So do not grieve about a bitter experience.  The present
    is slipping by while you are regretting the past and worrying about the future.
    Regret will not prevent tomorrow’s sorrows; it will only rob today of its strength.

Barbara Johnson

• Kaara
    edited March 2013

Productive day yesterday...all unpacked from ski trip and the garage is as clean as it's ever been..lol!  Went through some old photo albums and enjoyed the memories of good times in the past...always fun to do that!

Looking forward to my sweetie returning later in the week, but in the meantime, I will find lots to keep me busy!

Have a happy Monday everyone! 

• JoyE1947
    JoyE1947 Member Posts: 5,394
    edited March 2013

I the quotes that you post.  Where do you find them?

• JoyE1947
    edited March 2013

Illinois Lady - I love the quotes that you post.  Where do you find them?

From a Michigan Lady

• Kaara
    edited March 2013

Jackie:  Love the quote as always!

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Hi Joy/Michigan lady --- I take the quotes from several Internet sites and generally keep reading through until some thing 'speaks' to me. The above quote came from a site called " Living Life Fully ". There is a whole story on how I got started putting quotes in the pages of the two BC. Org sites I go to daily.  One site asked me to put a 'nice' quote in every morning...one that was uplifting and would start everyones day on a high note.  Like me, most of those gals are five or more years out now from newly diagnosed, but old habits are comfy.  I still find so much worth in what others have said/quoted at some time or other. 

Just a note here....I was a Michigan resident for about 7 yrs. way back in the mid 60's.  Dearborn and Detroit.  Detroit was not the wasteland then that it is now.  Sad.  I worked downtown Detroit and it was a great city then with beatiful waterfront.  Always good things going on at Cobo Hall and watching the Red Wings play at their arena.  Everything changes, but I never would have thought as drastically. I hope in time there are changes which brings things back to better.

Peace and love,

Jackie 

• JoyE1947
    edited March 2013

Jackie:

I am on the other side of the state.  Ever hear of Saugatuck?  It is near Holland and not too far from Grand Rapids.  Yes, it is sad about Detroit.  I hope somehow things can get turned around.  Grand Rapids has a booming downtown.  There are some rich folks who have poured a lot of money into renovating old buildings etc. 

It is beautiful here today but cold.  Last I checked it was 12 deg.

Joy

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Yes...I am somewhat familiar with your part of the state.  I had good friends that moved to northern Michigan and actually bought a house in Holland.  I really think I would have liked it there had my then husband and I moved that direction.  That was never considered, but I think I would have ( at that time anyway ) been put off by the snow and cold then. 

Have you noticed any big changes in your weather patterns the last three or four years.  We sure have here.  Not actually complaining big time yet, but when we came back to my home here 15 years ago, it was a lot different.  I'm hoping we get something a bit more stable and predictable.

Love and peace,

Jackie

• JoyE1947
    edited March 2013

I do know that the winter snow storms are much less intense than when I was a child.  I have lived in this part of the state all my life except for a year in Arlington, VA when my first husband was in the Army.

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

We have had strange winters.....very extreme with cold or heat.  Winter before this....too warm and then we began a drought ( didn't know it then ) with the advent of June.  Temps ( un-heard of before ) in the triple digit area that did not stop until August.  W have not had a lot of snow this season, but a lot of cold and a couple ice storms. 

I am so hoping, especially since my daughter and her hubby moved here in December, that we get closer to the lazy summers we were having 5 or 6 yrs. previous.  We often did not need the air conditioner until mid-August.  You could be outside and we were almost any time you wished.  We have a big deck on our house and the door opens right into the kitchen --- we ate almost every meal on the deck.  Lived outside as much as we could.  Sigh !!!  I always hope for the best.  I can't change it, but I can put the idea in the universe about just what I'd like to see.

I'm off to work in a bit.....work from 11 a.m. to 4p.m.  Keeps me out of mischief. 

Love and peace,

Jackie

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

Joy I don't think I know u--my memory isn't what it used to be--I live close to Chicago in a western suburb, but Jackie's weather always seems different than here--altho she is right about all the change in the seasons--instead of 4 we seem to be getting 2 and 1/2 --kind of like the TV show.

Kaara welcome back--u are really happy and I love it. U'r life has changed in such a short time and it's so much more fun for u. Great U'r working like crazy but the end of the week wil be here befor u know it and more fun is coming u'r way.

• JoyE1947
    edited March 2013

Camillegal - My son went to graduate school at Wheaton.  Are you anywhere near there?  I have relatives in Plainfield, IL and their four children all live West of Chicago I think mostly in the Elhurst area.

I don't post too much.  I enjoy playing many of the the word games with the ladies.

• carolehalston
    edited March 2013

Joy, you live in a lovely little town.  We were there one 4th of July a few years ago and saw the town parade.  It was delightful.  We also browsed in the galleries and shops.  I bought two pairs of earrings that are among my favorites.  My dh's cousin and his wife live in Holland, and we love to visit them.  They took us to Grand Rapids to some wonderful art exhibits.  And, I believe, to a Gerald Ford museum.  They enjoy the winters and don't mind the lake effect snow.

Today was a busy, pleasant day for me.  I attended my WW meeting.  Then ran some errands, including buying season tickets to the Abita Opry, which is held in the village of Abita Springs.  We've watched it on tv, but have never attended in person.  The "season" is only three performances, one in March, in April, and in May.  The music is bluegrass and country.

Camille, our high today was in the low 70's after a very chilly weekend.  The azaleas are starting to bloom.  Spring will be here by mid-March at the latest. 

Hi to everyone.

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

Carole that Abita Opry sounds like fun (never heard of it) It must have been around for a while tho--March is the first one that's soon now.

Oh Carole TY for u'r 70 weather report--we're supposed to get 6-8 inches of snow tomorrow--who know maybe less maybe MORE while u'r enjoying u'r 70ish weather remember and never forget u'r weather reports are very interestng to me and I'm so so happy u live in 70ish weather while we have blizzards, snow and wind. I've accepted the weather as it is and since I don't work I'm fine with it. GRRRRRRRRF LOL

• carolehalston
    edited March 2013

Camille, your time will come to give the beautiful weather forecasts.  Your summers are much more pleasant than ours. 

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

Carole not last year---we couldn't even go outside and sit at night it ws so hot and humid every single day--I hope we have more of a decent summer this year. And if we do u'll hear about it everyday. hahaha

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2013

Carole, do you guys listen to Bluegrass?  My Brother plays with Tim O'Brien and Darrell Scott a LOT in Nashville, and they have toured to other countries, and around the States....  Even Telluride here, for the Bluegrass music festival.  Kenny has sent me some of Tim's albums.... And Darrell is a well known songwriter, and  banjo player.

My Brother doesn't go on the road much anymore, but he has been playing drums since he was 3.... Who was that guy that hosted a TV show from the OpreyLand Hotel in Nashville?   This was about 15 years ago?  Kenny was part of their band... 

I know you will enjoy that concert....  We used to drive up to Central City, before gambling went in, and listen to Honky Tonk music in the Saloons!  It was soooo fun! 

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited March 2013

Morning, taking kitty in to have her teeth cleaned. She's begging me for food right now! That's good, but I can't give her anything this morning.

Can't remember what I was going to post about yesterday, for some reason I had to log in again. Cudn't figure out why there was no post box!

They are forecasting the midwest snow for us tomorrow night. JUst got rid of the old dirty snow, time for some fresh! Have a dr. appt for Thurs AM and the kidneystone sono. Hope I don't have to make another appt, as the snow is due Wed. night into Thurs.

Listening to the Illinois gals mentioning a lot of places I remember. I went to nursing in  Evanston. Came from the South Side. Last time we wer there they told us my old neighborhood was too dangerous to visit now. My father came from Danville, that too has changed , and sorry to say not for the better. So sad.

Sun shining this morning, guess we better enjoy it. Have a good day.