Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,292
    edited June 2013

Carole:  My brother, my best friend, and my son & wife loved Australia.  As you say, the main thing that makes me hesitate is the long plane ride.  Maybe you could do stop overs in LA or San Francisco?  Or even better, a Hawaii stop-over?

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited June 2013

OMG am I bad at directions, I thought u flew the other way really--No wonder it takes so long.

• donsuzbee
    donsuzbee Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013

Illinois  lady - what a wonderful phrase!

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited June 2013

Carole,

My friends found it interesting. SHe especially enjoyed being able to hold a young Panda! They got tired of the food, much of which was quite spicy. Also everyone had some intestinal upset. She said it was aalso difficult to get anything cold to drink Even water was warm! They gave out bottled water, you were told don't drink the water. Airconditioning was minimal in the hotels. The cities were more crowded than New York on a busy day, cars and bikes. Also if you ever go, practice squatting, thats the  toilet position, More difficult to find western facilities and hard to get used to and use!Also a 14 hour flight.... too long!Tours are kept very busy, they were exhausted when they got home. I heard that is so that tourists don't get a chance to see the more negative side of life. Rates are quite reasonable, as they are often govt. defrayes. I was going to go, but found out no bathrooms on the tour buses. So much for me!:)

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,651
    edited June 2013

So hoping this comes in right.

Our concern must be to live while we’re alive--to release our inner selves from the spiritual death that comes with living behind a façade designed to conform to external definitions of who and what we are.

Elisabeth Kuebler- Ross

have had to put it in an email.

Peace and love

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Carole....how great to get some varied reactions to the possibility of an Australian vacation.  The long flight does not a bit on the difficult side.  Otherwise......maybe quite the adventure. 

bonnets....I wondered how long ago your friend took her vacation...just wondering if some of the issues she had might have gone through might have some refining at this point.  I know you can only do so much.  Any place we are not use to will likely have the tendency to put us into some disruption -- just would have to hope to keep it minor. 

I don't see myself doing anything "out" there at where I am in life now so feel a bit of envy.  Harder to consider some of the "problems" if you know you personally will never deal with them.  Wishing you well with whatever decision you reach Carole.  Isn't it wonderful to have such a large circle of friends so you can get some good information to help you decide what you may want to do.

See you all later.

Peace and love

Jackie

• bonnets
    edited June 2013

Jackie, they just returned last Wed.!

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    edited June 2013

Ladies, the discussion about pedicures prompts me to remind you of the health hazards of getting pedicures in salons where safety is not #1 concern -- as in not sterilizing the foot tubs between customers, etc.

I got a really nasty staph infection from a pedicure at an airport salon, and I took me a good 1.5 years to get rid of it completely. I had small boils all the way up to my knees and, even with a dermatologist's care, I'd get random boils. I had to take baths in bleach, use antibiotics and do all sorts of things to keep it under control.

It wasn't until I had the staph infection that I Googled it and found out how prevalent -- and dangerous -- it could be. And no one had ever told me not to shave your legs within 24 hours of getting a pedicure because of bacteria possibly getting into nicks.

I learned a painful lesson. I didn't even get a pedicure for a few years after that experience and now go to only one salon that I trust.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,120
    edited June 2013

Wave, I have wondered about the sanitation of the less expensive salons like the one I've gone to several times.  In this area these salons are all staffed by Vietnamese, who are very painstaking and quite skilled at their jobs. The cost is half of that of the pricier salons.  The staph infection sounds dreadful. 

I took my mother to the pain clinic today where she had five injections.  Left shoulder, both knees and both hips. 

Back at home I put on the maid's uniform, which doesn't get a lot of use.  I always try to leave the house fairly clean when we go away for the summer.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Oh wave that sounds horrendous--I never ever heard that coud happen before--Geeze what an experience of terror.

I have heard when u go with a tour u'r time is not u'r own and u just follow what the plan is and if u can't OK but usually they eave certain sites at certain times and u have to be with them and signing somekind of agreement is how it's done. For some people they don't mind but the few people I've talked to didn't like it. I guess it just depends on the people involved so it;s a toss up--after that trip they did go on their own so..... but Carole u and u'r husband sound so active it might be fine for u--the other thing is u can't waiver what's on the agenda--but again it could be funn with other people. That's all I know.

I know I'm not a walking almanac.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Wave..I too think that sounds horrendous.  Not just the time it takes, but the discomfort and expense that would come with it.  You know sometimes ( because we see warnings everywhere ) we tend to think ....oh they just have to put that there for that one case in a thousand............and don't we all know that we ARE NOT ever the one those things happen too.  Why...not a one of us was ever going to get cancer either. 

There seems to be something in all of us that feels omnipotence a lot of the time.  Of course, it was really bad when we were very young.....but I do feel some of it stays with us.  I know I never 'believed' I would have cancer.  So, we really do need to look at warnings as quite possible for anyone. 

Wave, glad you were able to finally defeat that nasty infection.  I just can't imagine.  I have been tempted on a number of occasions to have my nails or feet done.  Never got around to it....now my toemails are horrible due to chemo.....and the Podiatrist says that there are many 'treatments' for the fungal infection but that it will come back and likely be more resistant when it does.  He talked me out of doing anything....he felt eventually I would get side effects from the "cure" that I would not want.  He is right --.

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday.  We have ( from the sound of it ) lots of rain on the way here.  So diffferent from last year....we had very little.  Well, we can get by.

Peace and love

Jackie 

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Today was brutally hot.  I played golf at 8 am and my clothes were soaking wet by the time I finished at 11:30.  Back at home, when I peeled my shirt off, it was heavy!  I know I could have wrung it out.  I drank lots of water.

The rest of the day was fairly hectic.  I took my mother to have her hair washed and set.  I left her there and went to buy her groceries.  Picked her up and back at her house, I carried in the bags and helped her put things away.  By then it was almost 4 pm and I was ready to head home.

Now I'm settled comfortably in my chair enjoying the cool house. 

Next week it will be my younger sister's job to take our mother to get her hair done and buy her groceries.  I'm hoping my other sister, who lives about 2 1/2 hours' drive away from my mother's house will come at least a couple of times during the summer and visit for a few days.  There's one son who lives about 20 minutes away and another son who's about an hour and 15 min. away.  The third son lives in Atlanta so he probably won't be visiting during the summer.

My mother was feeling good today, almost pain-free, after the shots at the pain clinic yesterday. 

DH and I have pretty much decided to do the Australia/New Zealand trip.  I have only two worries.  The long plane trips, going and returning.  And packing.  I am not good at figuring out what to pack for a trip.  It should be warm weather in Jan.  Being gone that long, we'll have to do some laundry.  I'm assuming we'll be limited on luggage.

My more immediate concern is getting ready to depart on Tues.  I still have a lot to do. 

Wishing everyone an enjoyable weekend.

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Carole good thing u have enough siblings to help with u'r Mom, cuz u usually do it all--so now it's their turn and time for u to relax some. Oh I hate being hot--I'd rather be cold and cuddle up with blankets anytime.

Jackie the same thing with my toenails thank u chemo---they are so ugly I wouldn't even go for a pedicure--and my doc said pretty much the same thing???? When mine grew back one foot grew to the side--like sideways -Oh how awful can't wear sandals--ever. LOL

• bonnets
    edited June 2013

hi ladies,

The weather co-operated with my Red Hat Tea, had sunshine this afternoon til about #PM when It started raining again. Just right for us to enjoy  tea on the porch. Got everything cleaned up and am pooped.Thought we might go out for dinner, DH id sleeping , as usual in the recliner. See if he gets hunjgry enough to wake up!

Carole are you going to go on your own or with a tour. We find Tauck allows enough time on your own , that we never feel rushed. They do a good job.

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Bonnets, it is a tour.  But not a large group.  The average number is about 20 people.

Glad your Red Hat party was successful.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Oh Camille....I'm sorry  you have the chemo toes like me.  They are truly ugly.  I went to the V.A. Podiatrist ( they are good at not stringing you along about cures etc. ) and totally believed him when he said....you are really better to leave them be.  He has me keep plain old vaseline on my toes so they are good and soft.....then I snip them and the ones that really look bad --- since they are so soft I can use the big nail file to keep them filed down so that they look LESS bad than they would.  Still its a pain.  I have taken to wearing crocs most of the time.

I do have some sandals -- thong type, but only wear them when it is going to be dim inside where I'm going or actually dark so that it is hard to see how bad my feet actually look.  It really is lousy, but I count myself fortunate that I don't really think I have anything much else.....some foot neuropathy of course.....but otherwise not much else. 

Carole....I think you will enjoy most of your"tour".....though would be nice if the ride there was a wee bit shorter.  Just think.....you will have done something REALLY different and I think many people would love to find out and discuss your experiences once you have had them.  Also, going with friends I think would be fantastic as each person usually picks out something of interest to share.  We all see through different eyes so you'll each be able to "point" out the most interesting things that come up along the way.   Good for you. 

Peace and love

Jackie

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Carole 20 people is a nice size group and especially if u'r going with friends so it might just be wonderful and where u are going is great so it really can't be bad at all. U'll love it, I'm sure. Yea the plane ride would be diffiult but others do it so it sounds like maybe time flies, Oh I'm so funny.-NOT

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

There is no effect more disproportionate to its cause than
    the happiness bestowed by a small compliment.

Robert Brault

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

I know Camille said this first and it is just one of the reasons I'm putting this in for the second or maybe even third time.  And because its so very true.

Peace and love

Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited June 2013

Carole, Have a great trip.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

I sincerely believe that there is a time in life for drifting.  There is a time
    for sitting back and getting in touch with yourself.  Some of our most
    interesting illuminations and ideas will come when we take time
    to reflect, time to kick back and cruise awhile.

Rudolfo Anaya

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited June 2013

Hi Gals!  I was reading where you were all talking about getting pedicures!  I've never had one!  I've had my nails done a few times, meaning the acrylics AND the Gel nail, but for some reason my fingers are such a mess now, and Doctors have been trying to figure out WHAT I have been getting in to!    Could have been the nail jobs starting this?  But it is "dishydrotic hand eczema" which is awful. 

And my feet/toes were frozen once when I was little, so my toe-nails, I mean about 3 on each foot are never looking like normal toe-nails.  I HAVE filed my big toe-nails from the top, and then glued on the fake nails.  THEN they were really cute! 

My Daughter in Orlando does this now....  don't know if there is such a thing as inheriting funky toe nails?  But ours are the same.... She lost her big toe-nails at one time, but from injury's, and they never grew back right.      She wears sandals all the time, or flip flops!  Remember when we used to call them "Thongs?"  Well my Grand-sons' made a point of correcting me on THAT one....Ha!  

Carole, I'm pretty adept at hitting the wrong key and losing everything!  Wink

And I remember some of those HOT days, following the boys around on the golf-course!  Didn't bother them, but I think the older I got, the more it bothered me....  Sort of like sitting in the ice-cold hockey rinks watching them play hockey, Ha!   Don't know which was worse! 

Jackie....always love your quotes and pictures! xoxoxoxo  Happy Father's day everyone! 

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Jackie thank u for acknowledging me after I've bothered u forever.

I hope all are having a good day today either alone or with family as long as it's good.

Chevy-, u just reminded me I wonder now--When I was a teenage my toes got frostbite pretty badly-- maybe that's why my nails have gotten so bad ?????? Those days we did walk all over and the weather didn't bother us--we thought

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,292
    edited June 2013

Chevy: Thongs, zorries, come-alongs, flip flops - there was one other really popular name but it escapes me.  Hopefully someone else will remember.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2013

Hello ladies!  After a month on the road, it will be difficult to catch up on all the news on this site!  We had an absolutely fabulous vacation..it exceeded all of our expectations.  I can't really say what was my favorite...each park we visited had it's own unique character. I was completely awed by Mt. Rushmore..a real American experience seeing those faces carved into the rock! The Badlands were beautiful, Yellowstone was very interesting, the Tetons were magnificent as was the lodge, Yosemite had beautiful views and staying in the little tent was an adventure..perhaps one I don't care to repeate, but fun just the same..lol!  We also spent time in Reno, Tahoe, Carmel and Sedona before heading to Dallas to visit my cousins.  I used my old 35 mm camera because it has such a good zoom lens.  It's going to cost me a fortune to develop all the film I took...about 15 rolls.  We feel very blessed to have been able to take this trip in our lifetime, and share so many wonderful experiences as a couple.  We experienced almost every kind of weather from snow in Wyoming to 118 degree temps crossing the Mohave!  All in all the weather cooperated and made our trip even more successful!  I came home about 8 pounds heavier, so it's back to my low carb diet tomorrow..lol!

Hope everyone has been healthy and happy over the last month, and welcome to any newcomers to the site!  I will try and catch up over the next few days.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Kaara.......................................

Peace and love

Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited June 2013

Well today was another one of those days that I felt awful. All I wanted to do was go to bed and cry.  I have had debilitating hot flashes starting after I took a shower this morning, they have finally subsided this afternoon.  I am very fatigued, that seems to be all the time.  Before I took my last B-12 around June 5th I went to the Grocery store and I was so tired and hurt so bad that all I wanted to do was sit down in the middle of the isle and cry.  I think I am having some real problems now with the Tamoxifen.  If I do not take the ambien I do not sleep and have awful nightmares, to the point where I wake up DH screaming.

I am changing my Family Dr.  need to call tomorrow and see if they have received my records yet.  Will make an apt. if they have for a conference on everything.

Grandson, Kimbers brother got here on Fri. evening, tomorrow they start Missoula Childrens theatre.  It will be a busy week, they have two performances on Sat. and then on Sunday we head for College Station, TX  (500 miles) to meet our Daughter and DH to pick up the kids and take them back to FL. I am really going to miss DGD she is so caring and is so much help.

Hope all had a good day.

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Mommarch, it could be the Tamoxifen causing your health problems.  Some women cannot tolerate Tamoxifen or the AI's like arimidex.  There comes a time when a woman has to do what is necessary to have some life quality.  Why live if you're miserable?  Have you read some of the discussion forums on Tamoxifen?

I had a wonderful family day today.  My younger sister invited the family to her house, which is all newly refurbished after being flooded last year in Hurricane Isaac.  It's now raised about 6 feet off the ground.  She cooked a hearty meal and we all had a good time visiting with one another.  My mother was there, all three of her daughters and two of her three sons.  The spouses were all there, too, and a nephew with his little girl and a niece with two of her children. 

I've been busy carrying items out to the 5th wheel rv, which is parked outside the house.  My last big job is transferring the refrigerator contents to the rv refrigerator, which is as large as the house refrigerator.  Tomorrow I have quite a few last-minute errands to run and then we plan to depart on Tues. 

I don't intend to do any cooking tomorrow.  We'll go out to eat for dinner or get some take-out.

Our first destination is dh's sister's house in Decatur, IL.  We plan to arrive in Park Rapids, MN, by July 1st.  So keep us in your thoughts next week and wish us safe travel.

Hope everybody had a nice weekend.  Kaara, welcome back and good luck on taking off those 8 lbs.

And Camille, thank you for thinking up all those wise thoughts that Jackie posts for our improvement!