Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited June 2013

Beautiful day here.

Neuro feels  SIL may not  make the day. Sooooo hard on them all.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited June 2013

Bonnets keep us posted.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited June 2013

Bonnets, sending warm hugs to all involved.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,675
    edited June 2013

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,120
    edited June 2013

I just said a bad word!  One stroke of the key, which key I don't have a clue--and my post was gone.  So annoying.

Here's what I erased.  Camille, your picture with the dog made me laugh.

Bonnets, I am thinking about your family in this difficult time.

SIL and I played 9 holes today, played them badly.  But the golf course is pretty and it was nice to get out.  As Camille will guess, I'm a little envious of my dh who will be playing 18 holes today and tomorrow and Sunday.  I just have to pass the time doing something besides twiddling my thumbs.  SIL isn't 100 per cent but at least she was able to get out and play 9 holes of golf.  She has heart damage from the amyloidosis.

Tonight at 6:30 there's a cocktail party for the men in the tournament and their wives.  The heavy h'ordeurvres will probably be dinner.  Then tomorrow there's a brunch for the women at 11 and tomorrow night a sit down dinner at 7pm with a band.  So I definitely won't starve but that was never a worry anyway.

Hope dh plays well and has a good time.  He won't have a good time if he doesn't play well.

Hugs to all.

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Oh Carole u'r having a great time and sounds like u'r SIL is at least doing OK. OK everyone is jealous--well not everyone maybe 1 person or 2. Just so u have good weather and DH golfs well.

We had a good Storm here this afternoon but it's hot and humid--I know where Jackie lives it's sunny and beautiful.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Camille....its sunny and hot.  Had a nice breeze today which did help but when your over 90 degrees.....any time spent in the sun and you really feel it.  I'll be glad when the heat wave breaks.  I haven't a clue as to when though.  I hope the humidity doesn't creep up because that will make it so much worse.  We are ok for now....it is just heat so I'm crossing my fingers. 

Carole....all I'm saying is yum !!!!!

Peace and love

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Good morning.  It's overcast here at SIL's house on the golf course.  BIL and DH just left to go and play their round of golf.  They both played badly yesterday and came in dejected.

The cocktail party last night had good food.  One server was slicing up prime rib, which I love.  He tried to give me one little slice but I just held my plate there until he gave me another slice!  There was also a big bowl of huge shrimp with a cocktail sauce.  Meatballs, little chicken wings, stuffed mushrooms that were very good, and other heavy h'ordeurvre type of food.  The party wasn't really a "mixer" because there were tables set up and people sat with their little groups.

I'm really feeling the inactivity.  Should put on my walking shoes and at least walk up and down the long driveway.  Get all sweaty and have to wash my hair.  That's the down side.  Does anybody else get tired of washing and blow-drying their hair?

So what's happening with everybody? 

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Hahah Carole that's cute how u held u'r plate there. The food sounds great. I hope u DH does better today and hope for no rain--it pouring here right now???

My hair is so short now--and I never had short hair but it's so easy and just kind of tossle it all over and done--I don't even use a blow dryer cuz it dries in no time, I got tired of takeing all that time with my hair and it still didn;t look that good.I think I told u guys it's all natural color and I streak it with some colored chalk for fun=Purple, deepblue, fushi--green whatever and it's easy and that's it. As u know I'm quirky.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Peace comes from living a measured life.  Peace comes from attending to every part of my world in a sacramental way.  My relationships are not what I do when I have time left over from my work. . . . Reading is not something I do when life calms down. Prayer is not something I do when I feel like it. They are all channels of hope and growth for me. They must all be given their due.

Joan D. Chittister

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Morning everyone.  Carole is shaming me into writing more.  Already thinking I wouldn't take the time right now.  I have to work this afternoon.......isn't my most pleasant thought but I will do it.  Not sure how this morning will go as it seems to be fairly cloudy right now.  We had planned to go pick up my new mattress and box springs today before work.....but I'm wondering.  I haven't trusted the weather people in some time......the global warming seems to have things ( in this area I think it was hard to accurately predict even on Doppler ) very un-predictable. 

I was glad to see the week-end here.  My job of almost two years will be I think finishing by July 1st.  I look forward to taking it easy again, but I'm soooo going to miss the money.  We will see how it goes.  I have been spoiled by having  a decent little salary per week along with my not so much Social security.  Helped take care of some of the extras without undue stress.  Well, we will see how things go and if I will have to pound the pavement later. 

I already have something else I could do but it would be night time ( overnight ) and I just don't do well working then.  My rithym was always set to daytime mode.....but you do what you have to do if it comes.

Hot here, but the mornings are not bad.....and if we stay overcast we won't get the impact of the sun and that will help.

Hope you all have a grat Saturday.

Peace and love

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Weather report! We had some gusty wind, thunder and rain this afternoon. Now it's fairly calm out.

It has been a sit on your rear end boring day for me. Watched golf on tv. One more day to get through. Niece and her dh and four kids coming tomorrow. Will be fun to see them.

Feel better after griping!

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Hey Carole did u'r husband get to golf, plus u have a great dinner to go to tonite and now more family---

• dwill
    dwill Member Posts: 248
    edited June 2013

JO-5, I am so happy to hear that someone else said they gained weight on Arimidex.  I felt like I just blew up after taking it for 6 weeks--feeling so bloated along with other SE.  I have had hot flashes--cold sweats, aching bones (I already have arthristis so that may explain this).  I am so concerned about losing the weight since I am already overweight.  Going to have to have to change my diet to more fruits and veggies.  I am single and eat out often--so I am going to have to change that somewhat also.

• dwill
    dwill Member Posts: 248
    edited June 2013

JO-5, I am so happy to hear that someone else said they gained weight on Arimidex.  I felt like I just blew up after taking it for 6 weeks--feeling so bloated along with other SE.  I have had hot flashes--cold sweats, aching bones (I already have arthritis so that may explain this).  I am so concerned about losing the weight since I am already overweight.  Going to have to have to change my diet to more fruits and veggies.  I am single and eat out often--so I am going to have to change that somewhat also.  Oh, I just turn 60-one month after being diagnosed with BC. I had already gone through menopause. I am extremely unhappy about going through all these hormonal changes, again.  Hot flashes-- Cold Sweats-- Emotional ups and downs---Uggggh!  How long will this last?

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Dwill no one really knows hahaha

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Hi, just checking in...it's been awhile. I read back 3 pages but not all...
    Bonnets, I am so sorry to hear about your SIL...hugs and prayers

Carole, it is fun to get your road trip reports!  I hope you get in lots of golf in good weather.
    A trip to Australia andN

Hi Jackie, I hope things are going well for you...I did not read back all the way so not sure what you are up to.  thank for the words of wisdom.

gotta move on to sleep but hope to be back on a regular basis.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

These are the gifts I ask
    Of Thee, Spirit serene:
    Strength for the daily task,
    Courage to face the road, 
    Good cheer to help me bear the traveler's load, 
    And, for the hours of rest that come between,
    An inward joy of all things heard and seen.

Henry Van Dyke

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Joan, how great to hear from you and what a fantastic avatar you have right now.  I haven't been up to much.  All is pretty routine.  At the end of this month though ( coming fairly soon now ) my job will be over.  I have about five more days and then we will see.  Right now I'm just looking at relaxing for a time....................and maybe doing some projects --- hopefully only a couple, that are a bit larger and may be big energy drains......and if not working and I can gather myself back together....would be great. 

Just playing by ear after this week.  dwill, Cammi is right. No one knows just what we are going to get, for how long etc.  All bets are off once you are into cancer txs.  I will say though.....I too dreaded the raging hot and cold of hormone fluctations.  It didn't come.....I have a few now and then, very sporatic, and none of these  ( to me anyway ) have near the intensity that was once there.  I hope you will have the same experience. 

Thunderstorms again this morning.  We had them a while before sun-down yesterday.  Was hoping we would be missed this morning....but no.  Not going that way at all.  So, that changes plans for what we do -- at least this morning.  We will see.

I hope you all have a wonderful day......waving hi at everyone. 

Peace and love

Jackie

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited June 2013

Happy Sunday everyone!  Glad to see everyone doing well and enjoying their summer.

Jackie:  Your quotes are inspiring

Carole:  Glad you're enjoying your vacation...it's just the beginning!

Spent the weekend at my place in Hendersonville NC...worked like a dog in the yard...the weeds had taken over.  It was good to see the results, but the work was not something I like.  Then I had to tackle the house which hadn't been cleaned all summer. It was a productive weekend but far from relaxing.  Now I'm back in Greenville and resisting the urge to nap, as I will then be awake tonight.  Later I will spend some time out on the screened porch enjoying the lake.

This next week I'll be preparing for a gathering of friends here at the lake house.  We're doing a shrimp boil (a friend with experience is handling it thank goodness) and I will be making fresh peach cobbler for dessert.  Should be fun...hopefully the weather will cooperate.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited June 2013

Kaara, with boiled shrimp and peach cobbler, no one will notice the weather. Gee that sounds yummy.

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited June 2013

I know the past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited or erased; it can only be accepted. Memories, held deep within our hearts, keep the ones we love close to us in spirit and always in our hearts forever. I wish I could travel backwards, on the road map of my life, and hold on to those precious moments a little longer. 12/25/1948 - 6/22/1989 Miss you Paul.

Yesterday was a difficult day for me.  It feels like a lifetime ago & yet I can vividly remember the hours, minutes & seconds of that fateful morning.  

As of tomorrow I have 7 treatments left; supposed to be getting the "boost"!  I could really use a good boost because these days I find that I don't have much energy!

Hello to everyone,

Linda

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why."
    Mark Twain

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Linda....sorry for your struggles yesterday.  There are such " jarring" notes in our existence, and it is always hard to completely let go.  I always think when someone leaves us.......what they were here to do has been finished -- even if we don't feel it is because we are left behind.  It is just that we were not their primary purpose.

It is just left for us to continue to fullfill what WE are here for and sometimes that means going it alone.  We don't often realize just what our purposes are, but our inner voice ( soul ) knowes perfectly well, and so we just keep putting one foot in front of the other edging closer. 

I hope you like the quote....I think it is close.  When we find out why.....all will be all-right again.

Waving hi to everyone.

Peace and love

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Jackie, I love the thoughts you expressed very eloquently. 

Linda, I'm sorry for the grief you're experiencing all over again. 

DH and I hit the road again after spending Thurs. thru Sun at the home of SIL (dh's sister) and BIL in Decatur, IL.  They have a large, lovely home, but, truth be told, are not the best hostess and host, IMHO.  I'm used to it, though, and just helped myself to whatever I wanted in the way of food and drink.

We had a pleasant day of travel and are settled in our rv home in a KOA rv park in De Forest, WI, which is close to Madison.  It's nice to be on our own and not have to socialize.  Tonight I'll cook a simple dinner and tomorrow we'll get up when we wake up.

Jackie and Camille, Decatur seems to be a little oasis that misses the stormy weather streaming through.  We had rain and some thunder on Saturday afternoon and evening, but that was about it.  The bad weather went either north or south of us.  I thought about both of you while we were in IL.  Also thought about Rita.  Wondering about how you're doing, Rita.

Hugs all around.

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Carole wow u'r getting around quickly---well we had a huge storm here this afternoon, kind of scary--I'm sure Miss Jackie had sun and total blue skies like she usually does. But u sound relaxed now and just enjoying---ooohhh I love it.

Linda I'm sorry u feel sad--- sometimes I just think that's life, I never understand why things happen, they just do.

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited June 2013

Hi Ladies,

Got back from our trip to Birmingham for my SIL's funeral. Hot and HUMID both there and here. Amazong family and church friends helping them thru loosing her. DB took her off life support Friday , and she quickly passed.Even with great faith  this is a very hard time. He has one son 16 still ay home. Trying to adjust. 

Playing catch up here, before we are off again!

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

If we remember that we are happiest when we are doing things for others, when we are busiest, and after we have accomplished something worthwhile, we need never be unhappy again, at least not for long.  We need only find a project on which to work, or put in a good hard day doing those things that need to be done, or find a way to do something for others.  Then happiness, like a butterfly, will come and land on your sleeve.

Earl Nightingale