Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,120
    edited June 2013

Linda, sorry you're feeling down. Those last words of yours are beatifully poetic.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,651
    edited June 2013

Linda....count me in as feeling some sorrow for you as well.  Hope we can all carry some and help you out of your slump a little sooner or easier. It is hard to lose people out of our life....always.  I no longer feel too badly for my parents lived ( mostly )  out a fairly full life, and were I think generally ready to move on to what came next.   I have come to have ambivalent feelings -- knowing they now do not suffer in any way.  I feel they help watch over me and are still very aware of me just as I am them.  I had to let the physical presence go, but not the bond of love and devotion we shared with each other the last few years of their life.  I do find joy and comfort now  though the first couple of years were lonely and empty. 

Carole is so right.  Your words are beautiful and poetic.

Peace and love

Jackie

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Carole, sounds like you had some nice moments in between doctor appointments...
    Jackie so glad you had a good time with friends...
    pattithenurse, I am also on A.I. drug – Femara.  About the radiation – there is a thread called Radiation Recovery but anyone can come on any time.  The ladies there are very helpful, and also talk about everything from family matters to recipes...give it a try if you have questions about rads or anything.

Bonnets, glad you had nice weather....are you getting the rain from the storms tonight?

I am off to bed...I have to do an overnight watch with my 2 dear GDs (5, 2) and I will need every ounce of strength.    The little one may not stay in her crib, I was told.  It should be interesting. 
    Same DD had a job interview near Boston yesterday.  It is 4.5 hours from here vs. 2 where they live now.
    I am just taking one day at a time and trying to stay positive.
    Hugs,

Joanjjjjj

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited June 2013

Joan,

We lucked out, had rain, but not as bad as Westchester and the city, and you. Sunny off and on since this morning.

Linda, I understand, as it has been almost 10 years since I lost my daughter to Breast Cancer. Often think of her, talk to her and sometimes shed some tears. Time helps, but they will always be in our hearts.

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited June 2013

Hi ladies,

Thanks for your kind words.  I know the past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited or erased; it can only be accepted.  Memories, held deep within our hearts, keep the ones we love close to us in spirit and always in our hearts forever. Sometimes, I wish I could travel backwards, on the road map of my life & hold on to those precious moments a little longer!   Linda

• lindsay72
    lindsay72 Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2013

All you lovely ladies, thank you. I was just sitting at our little fire pit, in the back yard, watching the embers die down and feeling very relaxed, thinking of all of you.  This journey that we've been forced to take isn't half as hard when you have such good companions.

I volunteer for Cancer Connection, I'm going to take part in a chat group for cancer survivors, I have just lost one good friend to this awful disease, and I have another who's just been told she's "palliative".  And yet, and yet, there's this feeling of strength I'm getting from knowing all of you. I'm not so worried now.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited June 2013

Lindsey it's great u have foud a way to relax, it can be very difficult for most. And then to help with cancer patients is wonderfully unselfish of u. I am truly sorry for the loss of u'r friend===and we all say this disease sucks big time.

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Lindsay, I second everything camillegal just said. 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Lindsay....you are so right.  There is safety in numbers and so much sting is removed from this disease when you are able to talk to others who have managed to conquer the fear and upset, and upheaval to life and plans that is caused when we find out we have to deal with this disease. 

I had quite a week-end.  Got up yesterday morning at 5:45 and got cleaned up, teeth brushed, and dressed.  Got the dogs and cats fed and settled.  Had a couple of cups of coffee and a little before 7 a.m. I was out in my 10 by 12 shelf with loft and though it took me almost all day long.....until about 5:45 or 6......everything that had been in there was sitting on my lawn.  10 years worth of jammed in, tossed in, crammed into the loft things that often I no longer even recognized. 

Today....we were out there early....myself, son-in-law and now and then Dh.....and we sorted on the lawn.  A pile to be re-wrapped and re-packed, a pile for Good Will, and a small pile of metal to scrap.  The last pile was what is no good to and for anyone and is fit only for the dump.  After it was all done ( right before 2 p.m. ) I realized that due to careful loft storage......there was enough room to dance on the bottom floor.  Oh my.....this was so badly needed.  A lot of hard work.....and I ache all over, am worn out and will probably sleep like a baby again.....but it sure feels good.

Next project ( same sort ) is to go through our four car garage......and sad to say.....it is going to be probably a nightmare -- far worst then my shed which I thought was hideous....but then, Saturday everyone was working but me and so I emptied the shed by myself.....and there was a lot of heavy things in there. 

Hope you all had a wonderful week-end. 

Peace and love

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Wow, Jackie, what an accomplishment!  Doesn't it feel great to get a job like that done?

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited June 2013

I'm in complete awe.

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Oh Jackie there should be a gold medal for that one---WOW

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

"Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's
    experience."
    ~~~ Victoria Holt

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Good morning.  I'm sort of up and at them.  Still quite sore, but yes......it is wonderful, wonderful to have things neatly packed and stored in my shed.  Everyone was really amazed at how much room was in there.  Combination of factors but mainly.....Dh and I never ventured all the way up in the loft....so there was so much room being wasted.  My son-in-law is still young enough to get up there......and work even heavy items into corners up there. 

I was thinking of all of you --- especially Saturday when I was alone the better part of the day.  Just wishing and hoping that things would go well for anyone doing treatments or needing to make plans. 

Can't tell you how green with envy ( in a nice way though ) I was in the past at the many projects you all do and what you are able to get done.  Just a great way to say that you were all my silent inspiration to make changes......FOR THE BETTER.  The one thing that has always worked for me.....is, one of those days when I really do have the time and freedom to just empty everything out -- no matter what it is, closet, shed, garage, trunk, cabinets --- then my life is sorted properly and becomes orderly again.

It in fact is rather amazing to see things you don't recognize and even when you do......the amt. that you now look at and wonder why you ever thought you needed or wanted THAT !!!!

Anyway.....I thank you one and all. 

Hope you have a marvelous Monday.

We had pouring down rain yesterday afternoon and some through the night as well.  I think a bit more today will come, but probably no more for a bit.  A couple of day days are on the menu I think.....which will bring a lot of humidity and I think by Wednesday the a/c will be turned on.  I feel it is rather soon.......and hope we have not seen  the end of our cooler, more comfortable weather.  We will have to just hold our breath for awhile.

Peace and love

Jackie

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited June 2013

Hi everyone,   I had #17 treatment today; YAY!   Half way there now!!   Still felt tired & light headed when I left.  They did some routine bloodwork as well.  Tried to drink a Glucerna shake but it's not agreeing w/ me (Burp!)  Have to find something else to eat.

Raining here as well; all day.  Hoping everyone is doing/feeling okay.

Linda

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Oh linda 1/2 is so good. Yay for u, I know it's difficult.

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Yay, Linda!  You're getting it done! 

Hope to check in later.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Yay Linda.....now you reallyhave the end in sight.  Keep up the good work. 

Peace and love

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.  We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Teilhard de Chardin

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Grrr!  Just hit some key and erased my post! 

Jackie, that's a very interesting quote.

I had an active day today.  Lots of perspiration!  Played golf at 8:30.  Came home and had lunch with dh and then did a couple of hours of yard work.  The temperature was in the low 90's today but I did ok.  Drank lots of water.

Our departure date gets closer and closer.  We're supposed to leave next Tues.  Still lots to do to make the transition from house living to rv living.

Hope Kaara is having a great time on her trip.  And hope everybody else is doing well.

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited June 2013

Well as usual it is late.  We traveled about 600 miles round trip and picked up cedar for broom handles.  Due to the drought most of the yucca stalks are ate up with bugs.  Dr. had told hubby not to use the cedar because he thought that was causing his Pnemonia, you know how men are.  He had better wear his resperator or I may be in jail.

Well I finally took my B12 last Thursday night and now I feel much better.  I am changing my PCP and hope he has some good ideas.  The B-12 is a good thing.  It amazes me how much better I feel and how much energy I have.  But then of course I over do it.

We are going to be on the road again.  Will pick up our Grandson on Sunday will meet his Dad and him on Sunday and then Kimber and Alex will have Missoula Theater all next week, two performances on Sat. and then on Sunday we will travel 500 miles to College Station, Tx to meet their Mom and Husband so they can go spend time together in Fl.  Then on around July 14th we plan on going to Pensacola and camp and go see my husbands older daughter in Fort Pierce, Fl and pickup up Grandson and bring him back and meet up with his Father.  What a web they have weaved.  Love them all.  

Our daughter has a PET scan tomorrow concering her so far in remission Hodgkins. We pray it will be good.  She has a husband now that loves her more than life itself, I hope she knows how precious that is.

Yes Jackie I love that quote.

Hope all is good for everyone here.

Hugs

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Good morning OMG everybody is busy and so much traveling going on too. I hope the weather wil be good for all of you.

We're going to have rain today mostly all day today as my grandson said--my weather forecaster.

Ok I'll check back later.

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Goodness, Mommarch, I'm tired just reading about all that travel from here to there and everywhere! 

I have a 9:15 am hair apptment for color and trim.  Not much to trim since she scalped me last apptment!  It's easier to blow dry when it's short.  I still have a lot of hair though it seems to be thinning out a little on top. 

I also plan to get my toenails painted at the cheapie nail salon I go to where all the workers are Vietnamese.  That seems to be a popular profession with the Vietnamese in this area.  They're very good and the cost is half as much as the pricier salons.

Sunny and hot and humid here!

Regbeach, how is your mother doing?

Hugs to all.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

• illinoislady
    edited June 2013

Mommarch, I think all the traveling has my head spinning as well............but so much is really family and things to do with them.  That can bring so much pleasure.  I think it would be hard to get a B-12 and then pace yourself......

We are not going to be too energetic today as the temp. and humidity will be way high.....like walking through a wet, hot sponge.  Will get by.  Sadly there will be some rain around us --- not sure we will get any today, but I think the rain will get closer as we get nearer the week-end.  I can; manage, but I do hope the next real rain will get that humidity down a bit.

Hope you all have a great day.

Peace and love

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

Took my mom to have a pedicure and manicure today.  Her first pedicure.  She loved getting her feet so clean!  The polish was a pale pink, very pretty. 

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited June 2013

JUst listening to  a ton of sirens out to the back of us. Must be a big fire or accident as the copters just flew over to that direction too! More copter noise, they aren't very far away!

Booked a cruise to Bermuda for next year. Amazed how many rooms were filled already! Going with friends this time. She is sooooo prone to motion sickness, hope she survives the trip. They just got back from China and both have had intestinal upsets!

Back to  pouring rain tomorrow and tomorrow night. Hope it clears for my Red Hat Tea Friday, so we can use the porch.

Went back to wearing wireles bras and seem to be having less pains in my  BC breast. Surgeon said some discomfort may still be from rads.

Enjoying the sun while we have it. It's been so humid here too. Sweating even when it's cool.That's about all here, have a good day ladies.

• carolehalston
    edited June 2013

DH and I are thinking of making a big trip in January of next year.  A golf friend and her husband are going to Australia and New Zealand.  She asked me at lunch one day if dh and I would be interested in going with them.  My first reaction was no, we probably couldn't afford it.  But the price sounded reasonable for a 24 day trip.  DH looked into it and we've pretty much decided to do it.  The biggest drawback for me is the long plane trip.  But the itinerary sounds really interesting.

This kind of travel would be a first for us.  We've never done a planned tour where all the reservations are made by a company.  DH wanted to make sure he wouldn't have to carry luggage! 

Bonnets, did your friends enjoy their travels in China?  I hope the weather cooperates and you have a nice day for your party.

• camillegal
    edited June 2013

Oh Carole that's another area of the world that people love, my GF say NZ was her favorite place anywhere, she didn't want to leave--Oh this wil be fun for u. Smile

Hot and Humid is the thing for now--I hte hate hate it--se I always complain about the weather.

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited June 2013

Carole,

The owner of the company I worked for for 17 years said he would not go back to Australia, to many things to sting, bite and eat you.  That was his opinion.  Hope you go and have a good time.  When we were first married they were asking for people with skills to move there back in 1969, we discussed it, but it never happened.

Take Care