Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

(ahem!) belly fat

Options
binney4
binney4 Member Posts: 1,466

Okay, we've got our own forum, so we can spread out!

I'm looking for information I can use on reducing this belly fat accumulation. What are the rest of you doing? 

Thanks,
Binney

Comments

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited March 2009
    Options

I'm thinking of hooking the vacuum cleaner up to a turkey baster and see if I can suck it out that way,'cuz it sure isn't moving out on its own!!

Susan

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2009
    Options

Great idea Susan!!!!!   I see my onc in two weeks.  I'm going to ask if it's safe to take the Acai Berry supplement.  If he gives me O.K., I'm going to give it a try.  Exercise doesn't seem to budge mine.  My primary care physician insinuated that it's Arimidex induced and is probably here to stay.  I can't help but think there's something that will get rid of it!

Rita

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010
    Options

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009
    Options

This road is going to be a struggle for me.....as some of you know....I have lost 100# through years of work and lifestyle changes, Im never perfect, I just go back to trying and whittle away a bit here and a bit there, during the time of my surgery and treatment, I lost 18# and was probably the thinnest I have been as an adult (though I am NEVER thin) it was the only happy part of it all....now I have put back on 8# of the 18# just from feeling better, having an appetite, enjoying life again.....and now....I have my fear about any Arimidex weight gain....I am going to fight as hard as I can it was such hard work to come this far....I love South Beach although I do tire of it from time to time.....as soon as good weather and fresh fruit and veggies get better and the grill is right outside the door it will help.....exercise, is always a challenge cause when I get home....I dont want to....I always love susans ideas and if we can get a trademark on the vaccum we can all be millionaire bc survivors !!!!!!!

jan

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited March 2009
    Options

Binney,

I'm trying to hold on to all I've got. I keep telling everyone, that's my new breasts when I get around to reconstruction!

I will be so pissed if I find out they can't do a DIEP.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have to say that when I was on arimidex, I could not lose a pound..I finished up and was still huge at my 65th birthday party...the photos were awful..anyhow my liver doctor told me I had to lose 50 or die.,.sooooooo., the diet worked now that I am off the arimidex...I lost thirty pounds by my 66th and now have 20 to go...believe it or not some of the fat came off the belly...still have the  "menopause middle"...but I am getting closer to my goal...oh, did I mention, I do low fat and walking..

• Genie2
    Genie2 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Belly fat!  Good God!  What a nuisance.  I started jogging in my 59th year as a way to "turn my life around."  (My most beloved exercise has always been to read a good book poolside.)  But, I know I want to be a flexible, trim old woman, so I worked my sedentary body up from not being able to walk to the mail box---well, practically---to running---no kidding, 2 miles.  Lost 12 pounds.  Felt dee-vine.  Then, got my breast cancer diagnosis.  Good grief!  (My 60th birthday was in the IV chair for TC  #3.) I was able to continue exercising and some jogging through my 4 TCs.  But, at the end---post chemo---had a terrible reaction to some medications and had to stay inactive for a couple of weeks.  I am back to "the program," now.  But it feels like starting in kindergarten.  Anyway, all this rambling has to do with belly fat.  Where the heck does it COME from?  And why does it hang around when other flab comes off?  (The other terrible thing about bely fat is that it puts you at risk for awful heart things.)  I was thinking the other day that liposuction might be the only alternative.   And, as I ponder all this belly fat business, I totally relate to NancyD's wanting to hang onto hers.  Previous to breast cancer, it never would have occurred to me that belly fat could be useful.  Will watch for more belly fat testimonials.  In the meantime, I plan to keep walking, exercising, building myself back up to jogging again.  Somewhere in my "lifestyle change," my (upcoming) dropped weight might produce a firmer, flatter belly.
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited March 2009
    Options

Margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. Put it out, flies and cats won't even touch it!

On another note, my husband bought a 12-grain bread that was horribly cardboard-like. I put it out for the birds and they walked around it and woudn't even take a nibble!

Real is better. I've never believed in sugar substitutes and can always tell when they are added. I remember when Wrigley's put it in their gum and I could tell! Ruins the taste for me everytime.

• tos
    tos Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2009
    Options

Jo-5, I hope the mammogram news is good!

Belly fat, hmm have that too.  I have been having a weight gain issue since going off chemo 10/07 and it cannot be figured out by my docs.  I eat very little but continue to gain but I do have CHF thanks to Adriamycin so fight the fluid thing.  I have read Neurontin can cause weight gain but my doc says no.  Him and I will be discussing this further. Smile

• barbe1958
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lyrica and cause weight gain too! Don't let your doctor put you off! They hate admitting to side effects, but they are real, especially when you're trying. I was "lucky" enough to be on a NO-carb diet for 5 months. My brother lost 75 pounds. I stayed exactly the same. Not an ounce. I had just started on Lyrica and thank God I was on that diet. Apparently people are gaining a pound a week. Google "Neurontin and weight gain" and you will probably be surprised!

• burns_la
    burns_la Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I am at peace with my belly for the first time in my life. Even when I was young and cute and not overweight, I had a belly for some reason Surprised. Now it's my right foob and looks so much better higher up! Sorry I can't help, but I can't get rid of any of my weight from the chemo or Arimidex. I keep thinking one day it will magically fall off, but then remember what my Grandma said: "Might as well wish in one hand and sh*t in the other!" (I loved her!)
  • ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2009
    Options

I've gained 12 pounds since I started on the Arimidex 1 1/2 years ago.  I can't seem to lose it no matter what I do and I think about all 12 pounds are right around the middle.  I lose a little when doing the Weight Watcher's Core Diet but as soon as I slack off, even for just a couple of weeks, back it comes.

Jan...I am so proud of you for losing all that weight.  What dedication and will power that must have taken!

Rita

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited March 2009
    Options

I'm also on the Arimidex weight train.  Interesting reading this subject today as my mother informed me this morning, "it's just an excuse".  I bit my tongue, what's the point?  

• crazy4carrots
    crazy4carrots Member Posts: 624
    edited March 2009
    Options

Okay, this is just my theory but....we know that estrogen is most comfortably at home in our fat tissues so, if the AIs are blocking the estrogen our adrenals are producing, then isn't continuing to produce fat just the natural reaction of our bodies, hoping for that estrogen to return?  I remember reading something about folks going on and off and back on diets, and that each time the cells are deprived, the cell structure is altered so that for the next "deprivation", the fat cells compensate for it.  Good reason why any diet should be a continuous one.  I'm wondering if women who have been on an AI for an extended length of time eventually find that belly fat becomes less.  Well, I'm hoping soLaughing

Linda

• Marple
    edited March 2009
    Options

Interesting theory Linda.  Good for you, it sure makes sense to me. 

• rayhope
    rayhope Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2009
    Options

In the six months before being diagnosed with BC, I  lost 20 pounds and needed to lose 10-15 more.  I had BM on Nov. 24 and started chemo on Dec. 18.  My weight stayed stable until a month or so ago, when I started to gain (7-10 lbs).   I now realize the weight gain started about the time I started taking neurontin (300 mg at bedtime) for hot flashes. I don't believe it's really helping much with the hot flashes and would like to quit taking it.  Does anyone know if it's okay to just stop, or do I have to taper it?    

• Hanna
    Hanna Member Posts: 228
    edited December 2011
    Options

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2009
    Options

Good Thread!  I think I'm the original jelly belly.  I see some of you read at the pool, I stand in the pool and can make by belly jiggle like jelly.  I used to be able to suck it in and look in the mirror.  Before...After!  I can't do that anymore lol.  My goal for wt. loss is to be able to suck in my tummyin enough so that I can see my pubs!

Peg

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009
    Options

*quiet sigh* when I go to that Educational Study next week.....I am going with a list of questions about AI's and Arimidex and I am going to address this weight gain issue....even after all the weight Ive lost I could still lose another 50# and not miss it.....I have trudged through every step of this journey (short as it has been so far.....) with as little complaint as possible but I will NOT go lightly on the issue of putting this weight back on......and, if I find out it cant be helped then I am going to find someway to at least hold my weight where it is......*looking at my treadmill*

I actually need to put on a bathing suit for the vacation that is coming up in April.....its going to be VERY hot and that thought alone is enough to curb my appetite.....

jan

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Peg - You make me laugh!  If I lift up my flab, I can see my pubes!!  Try it!  Undecided
  • 5graces
    5graces Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2009
    Options

rayhope, yes you will need to taper off the neurontin.  My dh took it for awhile for trigeminal neuralgia and when he tried to stop cold turkey he had withdrawals so he had to go back on it and then he tapered off gradually and had no problems.  I also am now taking it for neuropathy and it is helping and has also helped my restless legs.  Seems to be helping with my sleep too.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited March 2009
    Options

But, Hannah, why not just shake the Tastycakes and Ho-Hos? That way all the calories fall right out of them...or did I get that wrong?Undecided

Seriously, when we're talking exercise does it matter what kind? Any exercise, just lots of it, or exercise that's targeted at the stupid belly?

Laura, your sense of peace with your "repositioned" belly fat made me smile.Smile Good for you! 

Binney

• anianiau
    anianiau Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2009
    Options

Realized that I had been sitting on my duff and that it had enlarged. In fact, so had the old tummy which is now more visible now that the 42DDs are gone. In desperation I got out my trusty New Life NL2000 pedometer, as recommended by my primary care MD & the registered dietitian. The battery had died, that's how long it had been.  

Any other users of pedometers out there? I am looking for an exercise buddy to trade number of steps with. Thought it might help us. In fact, it might be worth a topic, if not a forum...

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hey Jo, Those treadmills are great for hanging clothes!!

• Unknown
    edited March 2009
    Options

Okay... this a frustrating topic.  5 years ago when I was on Arimidex I gained 30 pounds and stiff knees.... After 9 months... my oncologist let me stop taking it because she felt I was in a very good place with everything.  Was almost cancer free for 5  years when last June everything went to hell in a hat basket.  Straight to Stage 4 mets to liver and bone.   Now....

Bone mets are gone...    But liver is still being quite stubborn.  On Clinical Study with Ixempra after Taxol stopped working.  Very close to getting the liver where it needs to be to finally getting a chemo break and will shift back to the Arimidex.  Told my oncologist that this time I would stay on it and not complain!   But I am soooo concerned about the weight gain.  It has terribly hard to get the first weight off and have not successfully done that.   But with Stage 4.. I have to suck it up and go for it.  At least this time I know what can happen and am going to do my best to walk more and stay ahead of the game.

Susan!!  The vacuum and turkey baster thing is hilarious!  Can I watch!!!  Too funny......

Debbie

• Marple
    edited March 2009
    Options

Debbie, you've put it all in perspective.  I hope you do well.

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009
    Options

Sharon - my thoughts exactly.

Debbie - Good glory!  I guess the only certainty with this crap is that nothing is certain. 

Glad that I could make you smile.  Now, if we could only find a cheap and easy way to suck the flab away! 

Good night all.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2009
    Options

Debbie - you said it all - suck it up and do it.  I have been excusing myself from dieting and exercising my whole life.  I feel so deprived when dieting and I have so many aches and pains (not from breast cancer - just getting old) that exercise is the last thing on my mind.  Just suck it up Kathleen and do it!

If the vacuum cleaner deal works, please let me know!

Good night ladies.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2009
    Options

I think that lyposuction should come free with any of the treatments that causes the belly fat.

I too have that roll of fat below my new boobs. But last night I was at a local store and a friend commented on the top I had on, it was black knit with a grey band just below the breast line (empire style lines) and she said that it looked good on me, I commented that I liked the top but it was tight and made me feel like I looked pregnant. She said that it didn't appear that way to her but the grey band below the breast helped to make my boobs look bigger.Smile

Sheila

• barbe1958
    edited March 2009
    Options

I could have had a free reconstruction here in Canada but opted to not have any more surgery. BUT, I wanted lipo to get excess fat off my ribs, maybe a bit at my belly, etc. No. That would be cosmetic! Go figure....