Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

(ahem!) belly fat

Options

Comments

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited April 2009
    Options

Jo -  What a great idea!!  I think I could do five trips, if I really put some effort into it!!  Good one!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited April 2009
    Options

I can't figure it out! Waaaaaaaaaaah! Which way do I turn? 

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592
    edited April 2009
    Options

Right, right, right, right on one day

then

left, left, left, left the next. 

That will keep you well balanced Wink

• barbe1958
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Laughing hehehehehehe
  • Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010
    Options

Embarassed

• mzmiller99
    edited April 2009
    Options

Good one!!  At least you won't be tempted to stop and shop anywhere!

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited April 2009
    Options

Lol!  I think I lost 10 lbs today just reading these hilarious posts.  I cannot stop laughing at you gals!  You've made my day and for that I send much thanks.  (Incidentally - I have 20 to get off and I haven't even started chemo yet!).

Linda

• mzmiller99
    edited May 2009
    Options

Aw geeze - I was doing fairly well losing weight, but blew it today with the most delectable dark chocolate cake, with thick white frosting, coated with almonds and toasted coconut!  Do I need to say more???  Well, Mother's Day is a good excuse to let loose!

Susan

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    edited May 2009
    Options

Enjoy the chocolate treats Susan, one day of decadence won't make any difference. 

• saltykm
    saltykm Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2009
    Options

Just found this site , you guys are hilarius,I'll definatly be coming back

• barbe1958
    edited June 2009
    Options

Sorry, I couldn't hear that over my molars gnashing....what did you say? We've been off busy eating, forgot all about this site! Surprised

I was doing pretty good until I decided my high protein low carb wasn't working and maybe I'd eat more carbs. Now I get a REALLY bloated belly after eating. I asked Dr. Google and he thinks it might be Candida! Makes sense as I have a sore inner-mouth....Now to find a diet that makes my body happy.....sigh.

• 61linda
    61linda Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2009
    Options

I'm with saltykim - just found this thread and it's hysterical but also motivating. Think I'm going for a trip on the old treadmill that I've just been looking at for the last 2+ months since my DM. Belly fat seemed to come from nowhere but it's probably from sitting around. Going to try sit ups along with the regular stretches. Can't hurt anything and has to be good for burning calories. Lost 15 pounds before surgery (and so far am only up 2) but did that with exercise and limiting intake to tennis ball size amounts of food, of whatever I felt like eating but usually protein source and veges, about every three to four hours. I had to keep asking myself if I was really hungry or did I just want to eat. Don't do hungry well cause tend to gorge when I do eat. Also, lots of fluids. Hey, it's worth a try and maybe it will keep me out of my fat pants.

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592
    edited June 2009
    Options

Love you Barbe!

With so much info out there it almost makes it harder to get help....who to believe? Common sense I suppose but that seems too obvious. So many days I really do not feel like I have the energy to prepare good food or exercise, I'm sure there must be a source out there that is NOT 400 pages long. sigh.

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited July 2009
    Options

JO, you are hilarious!

Has anyone come up with any miracles besides, surgery, lyposuction, or starving?  My belly just keeps on getting bigger.  hate it.

Going sking for the first time in Dec this year and would love to have a flatter belly and stronger legs which means I better start doing something right now. huh?

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2009
    Options

I just found this thread again, I have a good reason to lose weight, my (ahem) 30th high school reunion is coming up in October and I have put on XX lbs since I got out of school and most of it is around my belly. My thinking is if I can lose 20 lbs, my new boobs will look great!

I will read the previous posts and see if I can glean any hints to skinny up my waist.

Sheila

• swimangel72
    swimangel72 Member Posts: 142
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hello everyone - I've enjoyed reading this thread - the laughter keeps me sane! I am proud to announce that I now have the flattest stomach EVER in my life..........finally.........thanks to the opened abdominal hernia repair surgery I am recovering from. Wow - who knew mesh could be like an iron girdle? My surgeon said it should last and last - that someday when my daughter walks down the aisle, I'll still be able to show off my ever-flat stomach (keeping my fingers crossed because I NEVER want to endure another abdominal surgery ever again!)

So may I complain now about the fat on my back and upper arms? Sigh........the good news is I lost the 10 pounds I gained prior to my surgery (all those end-of-school-year parties, with pizza, cake, cookies, etc.........who knew how much the teachers celebrate once the kids leave the building? Lol!) With the loss of my gall bladder I am so afraid of getting digestion problems that I've been really watching my fat intake - increasing my fruit and veggies - and nearly eliminating bread (except for a high-fiber English muffin in the moring with a boiled egg.) I'm REALLY hoping I don't cave in to temptation as time goes on! And I can't WAIT to get back into the pool once these annoying drains are removed (hopefully tomorrow; they're down to 20cc output in a 24 hour period).

My niece is getting married Labor Day weekend - and my goal is to tone up my arms and lose another 10-15 pounds before then so I can go sleeveless...........I'm going to ignore the fact that I'm still on Arimidex..........knowing that swimming won't be enough, I'm promising myself to start walking 3 miles every other day with my DH the way we did 3 years ago. Seems to me at my age (54) we really need very little to eat but a LOT more exercise to lose the weight. Watching The Biggest Loser is inspirational to me........I tell myself "see how much they sweat? see how long they stay in the gym?" No pain, no gain.........ok, the drill sergeant in my brain is finished now!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited July 2009
    Options

Was doing really well on the weight loss 26lb in a year, slower than i wanted but I have got stuck. I need to loose the same again and hope to do so before our trip next year. As the weather get warmer here will be able to get back to walking most days which really seems to help.

Problem is the chocolate in the cupboard!

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited September 2009
    Options

What????  You mean there is such a thing as belly fat?  I can't get past the rolls of midruff fat I have acquired to even see the belly fat yet.

Linda

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited September 2009
    Options

I was on a low fat diet and losing weight very slowly...then my doc started me on beta blockers and now I am gaining weight on the same diet...I don't have a choice about the meds...what can I do..

• American4Lady
    American4Lady Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi everyone. I'm new, this is my first post and since the subject is tummy fat I fit right in. Here's my dilemma, I had a bi-lateral mastectomy last March, and at the time I wanted to have reconstruction using the DIEP method. Everyone told me it wasn't possible because I had a perpendicular hysterectomy scare. So, I said fine, I didn't want emplants so decided to go natural. I love it this way except for one thing. Yep, I now look like I'm five months pregnant, not a good thing for someone my age. I feel like an overripe pear. Anyway, with nothing looking right on me I decided to get reconstruction using the DIEP method, figuring it would kill two birds with one stone. Trouble is, what I believe is a great deal of lard, the doctors say is just barely enough for a B cup. They all suggested implants, but that doesn't get rid of the tummy. Plus I just can't get comfortable with that. So then my husband said try in his words, "man made boobs". So I said okay. Now that I have them I'm not really all that happy. Having them up against my chest is very irritating as I have nerve problems. The weight I find hard to cope with. So, now I'm thinking of going back and getting the DIEP reconstruction even though I'll be under at least ten maybe more hours. I wish I had been told the truth at the time of the first surgery and I wouldn't have this problem. Trouble is I'd really like to stay flat, but then I can't wear any decent clothes. HELP. I am so confused I don't know what to do. The insurance doesn't cover lipo, my husband would think I was crazy to spend that sort of money, and I just need some fed back from people who've been there and done that. Thanks for listening. I tend to ramble at times. Sign of old age or something.

• traccy
    traccy Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Options

I do always support yoga.infact i do it daily.I have good suggestion to get good stuff of yoga.

• justinkemp
    justinkemp Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Options
    AB machines cannot develop Abs better then exercises done with our body .Abs machines are not very successful in working right muscles in right oder and the can not eliminate belly fat . If you have to lose lower belly fat you must take proper nutrition along with training and cardio exercieses .
  • suman12
    suman12 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Options
    are you ashamed on yourself when you look into the mirror and saw a lots of fat around your belly.then i suggest you to start excercising right now.first of all you have to burn belly fat thus you will get a perfect body which is more powerful and aware from diseases.so be fit and fine.
  • Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi ! Suman 12, I never feel ashamed of my belly, as there is no alternative I  took it as normal. I gained about 10 kilos after Arimidex. I have stop taking  arimidex  from this month, I think  my belly will reduce gradually. I never do abs  exercise but  sometimes  I do walk around  the track. It is almost been 25 days, I am having  digestion problem and feel bloating everytime when I have my meal. Just post me how to do belly exercise without  any machine.

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi ladies, well this is a very good topic on a snowy day!

Mammo next week, so I'm eating like a pig, due to anxiety over that, but in general, yes, I have also gained and it is the arimidex.

I had my thyroid checked too.  I have thyroid (hashimotos) but after arimidex and menopause (surgical) boy, did that ever get out of whack!  My hair is dropping out, my thyroid is low, oh getting older is NOT for sissies.

At any rate, despite this rambling on, my GP said to build muscle to raise the metabolism and that belly fat is simply what happens post menopause.  You can in general lost weight, but that gut will stick around.  Sit ups will not help as no "spot exercise" works, but weight training can.

Good luck to us all.  I feel like santa claus :( esp. with all this snow!

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited February 2011
    Options

This is an old thread, and I'm wondering if anyone is following it anymore.  I can't believe I am just now noticing it. And, I can't believe how depressing it is to read these stories and realize that the belly fat I've accrued these past 2 - 3 years is probably there to stay.  <sigh>

So, it's pretty much assured we'll gain weight as belly fat on Arimidex?  Terrific.  Oh, that, plus 10 years on a beta blocker, perhaps.  Wonderful!.  A two-for-one deal.

Anyone who says that women gain weight after menopause because they eat more, or because their joints hurt so they don't exercise, just doesn't get it.  It's metabolism, stupid!  Like others here who posted so long ago, I've eliminated that lovely glass of wine I'd been having with my evening meal since my marriage 23 years ago; I skip the dinner roll I like so much; I've cut way back on portions; there are no sweet snacks, chips, desserts, or other high-cal things in the house; I use only low-fat (and, therefore, low-cal) spreads, dressings, etc.  No second helpings.

And, yet ... the pounds keep creeping on, and the belly fat and chubby waistline (which I never had, pre-BC) stays put.

Has anyone out there who was posting on this thread 2 years ago made any progress?  I see Binney isn't around this neighborhood anymore...  Anybody else?

otter

• Bren-2007
    Bren-2007 Member Posts: 842
    edited February 2011
    Options

Otter .. unfortunately, I'm not making any progress on my belly fat.  I think it's a menopause problem.  All the carrots in the world aren't helping me get rid of this belly.  Since treatment I've gone up a size and can't shake it.  I hate getting on the scale, I feel so ashamed of my size now!  I long for the days when I was young and gorgeous. 

I had a total hysterectomy years ago, but when my cancer was found almost four years ago, the docs immediately took away my HRT.  I went into immediate menopause and haven't been able to control my weight since then.

Bren

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited February 2011
    Options

Yes, belly fat still is a problem though I am slowly losing weight.  I had gained almost 30 pounds from chemo....I have finally lost the first 8 and I seem to be keeping them off.  I am looking forward to losing the next 8. I just need to watch everything I eat.  I am not less active than pre chemo; I am more active than pre chemo but my whole metabolism has changed.   And like you I am embarressed by my post chemo shape.

• swimangel72
    swimangel72 Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2011
    Options
    After losing my belly fat in the muscle-sparing free tram - I STILL have a problem - which is INTERNAL fat pushing out against the muscles & mesh holding everything in place. Bread, pasta, and sometimes even salad causes me to bloat (I never used to bloat) - and it's extremely uncomfortable! So my problem is how to get rid of ALL the fat inside my body, sigh.......well this week I easily lost 5 pounds without trying due to a stomach/flu going around - while it feels great to have less pressure pushing against my mesh enforced stomach muscles, I know most of it was water weight. Still I'm going with the flow........I'm really cutting WAAAY back on all carbs and hope to start doing a lot of walking once this ridiculous winter is over. I'm still swimming - but still not as fast or as far as I should go. Weight Watchers still has a free enrollment (for WW online) - so I think I'll head over to their web site and check it out (I'm a life-time member much good it's done me since BC hit.) Embarassed
  • luv_gardening
    luv_gardening Member Posts: 362
    edited March 2011
    Options

Spam alert. Beware of posts where there is a link and they have only made a few posts, and they don't have any personal details or references to having BC.  They also often drag up old threads and use bad grammar though of course it's no indication of spam, just a pattern I have noticed. 

I have reported the ones above with links.