Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options

Comments

• havehope
    havehope Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2009
    Options

I believe in balance. I do not believe that having sugar in your life will give somebody cancer. It is the surplus or overdose that creates an unbalance that can produce an aberration in the cells "mode" of operation. I don't think that eliminating sugar completely out of our life will do good.  I try to live my life in moderation and common sense. Also I don't take any articles as law. Too many times things that were proven  good turned out after a decade that were completely wrong. Also when people use "extraordinary" exemples to prove their points I take that as a weak sign. I look for numbers that mean something. Studies that involed 100 people when we are talking about millions of cancer patients means nothing to me. My background in chemistry, biology , physics, and math won't let me take this type of articles too serious.  

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2009
    Options

OoOoOOoOHhHhHHh ~``~

How did I miss this thread!

Hello everyone, I hope to gain a lot of knowledge from all of you and get some tips here and there.

Thank you for starting it. I have finished all my treatments and now I'm doing the preventative thing. This is what I am doing so far :

- No white carbs / sugars

- Increase fruits / vegies

- No red meat....I eat chicken, fish, seafood

- No soy products......I know contoversy with this one ,but my choice right now

- No dairy products.....I use Egg Beaters and drink Almond or Rice Milk

- I drink 8 ounces of POM  juice a day

- I TRY to buy Organic as much as I can especially fruit veggies. I can't wait for summer and all the seasonal stuff growing

- I juice in the mornings......carrot,celery,beet,apple,lemaon,ginger

- I take a variety of vitamin / supplemnts

I thought that I ate relativly healthy before BC...but now I realized there was a lot more included.I have bought a book called Foods That Fight Cancer and have read it 2x....lol. Lots of good info.I agree that WE ARE WHAT WE EAT....and I believe that lifestyle and diet changes can have a huge impact on reducing disease and sickness

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2009
    Options

lexislove - there is also Cooking with Foods that fight Cancer  -some delicious-looking recipes & a bit more info. I couldn't stop myself from splurging & buying both.

appple - no, the strawberries remain separate & beautifully red amid the green. hope you liked it.  

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited March 2009
    Options

Soaud, while I am one who is reluctant to go to socialized medicine in the US, the one advantage that I see is that it seems to encourage prevention, since it is so cost effective. While untold billions are being spent here in the US on cancer treatments, there is still very little being done to educate people about preventing it in the first place. This is one place America is definitely not a world leader. Most studies on alternatives seem to becoming from Canada and Europe. I sure hope we will finally start getting the message here. Too many Americans are making themselves sick with their fast food, high fat, high sugar diet. That sound like a good cookbook. I too, am a book buying fanatic. I just bought "The 30-day Natural Hormone Plan" by Dr. Erika Schwartz and "Food, your Miracle Medicine" by Jean Carper. To think I use to waste my time reading romance novels!

Lexislove, glad to hear you are on the path with us here. Hope you will chime in with info. I am still trying to find a juicing recipe that I will enjoy. I have never been into drinking flavorred anything so it is hard. Love that Rice Drink though. I never thought I could give up milk and cereal, but now I like the rice drink better. I use the organic rice drink from Trader Joe's.

I hope I can figure out a way to keep the critters from eating my strawberries this year. I transplanted a whole bed last fall, it would be nice to actually get to eat some before the wildlife does. Any suggestions?

• CaseyDoodle
    CaseyDoodle Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2009
    Options

vivre, have you tried netting your strawberry bed?  We have to net all of our fruits, including our peach and cherry trees to keep the deer and rabbits from having a feast.

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

ohhh, thanks souad

Ill look into the other book

• havehope
    edited March 2009
    Options
    • lexislove
    •  - I drink 8 ounces of POM  juice a day

Pomegranate is like soy. It is one of the the richest plant source of estrogen. Please make sure this is ok for you.

• flannelette
    edited March 2009
    Options

vivre - we eat all the same junk food here. No one at my cancer centre had a thing to tell me about food or exercise - they were too swamped & busy doing their own area of expertise - surgery, chemo, rads. When I asked my medical onc. about ground flaxseed his response was eat anything you want it won't make a grain of difference. After each chemo I'd sneak in my milk thistle tincture when nobody was looking...and of course I told NO ONE about using a homeopathic remedy for side effects during rads.....

I just happened to stumble onto a new family dr. who is herself into eating well and exercising. So I don't think Canadians are any more proactive, and if we were, it would save us a bundle of $$ too.

thanks for the book titles!

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

Kay, what kind of netting do you use?

Souad-It really made me mad that my onc did not have any recommendations for a better diet. She did say to call the hospital dietician, which I did and got a response several weeks later, only to tell me that I could attend her workshops. I wanted a more personal approach, so I found a chiro who is a nutrition guru and I went from there.

Have any of you visited the Mercola site? Lots of good info there on natural treatments. I just found this through the site:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/03/19/Two-Food-Additives-Found-to-Have-EstrogenLike-Effects.aspx

http://healthandhappiness2u.blogspot.com/2009/03/estrogen-dominance-and-homemade-laundry.html

It sounds like now I will be making my own laundry soap. Maybe I should just move to a cave!

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

simvog...... are you serious?

what if I cut back on it?  I really enjoy it....

How does it have soy in it? this is madness...lol

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi ladies!  So glad to see new names and faces on this thread. 

I have a new book that is my very own, not another library book which is a neverending stream.  It's Natalia Rose's Raw Food Detox Diet.  I really like this author a lot.  So far anyway.  She has another book called Life Force Energy, which I had from the library.  When my sister in law offered to buy me a book recently, I chose the raw food detox.  There's a lot of recipes and common sense.  ...she's also keen on beets, which I'm NOT.  blech! 

She also recommends colonics.  double blech!  ...except I've never tried it, so how can I say blech, except blech is how I feel about it!  When I have more time, I'll start a new thread about this book.  Raw food can get complicated with soaking and using dehyrdrators, but this book bypasses all that complicated stuff.  Sort of a raw food for beginners approach.  

I made a strawberry pie last night.  No flour, no sugar, no eggs, no baking.  It doesn't hang together worth a darn, but it's mighty attractive in the pie plate and very tasty too.  

• beastybabe
    beastybabe Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies

I was reading all the good advice and was wondering if you get a product in the states that we get in New Zealand.

Its called V8 Juice, it comes in tropical - which is vegetable and friut

fruit zing - which is carrot, giner, apple and orange

and there are a couple of other flavours

This product states on the bottle that it is sugar free, no preservatives and all natural.....I was thnking this would ge a good alternative to having to juice my veges and fruit everyday.

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

beastybabe we have that here in Canada. I have tried it before but I still found it sweet. I know it says "sugar free" "no preservatives" but if you really look at the ingredients there is crap in there.

Some woman on these boards juice their veggies and fruit. Invest in a good juicer and you get a lot of nutrients. I bought my juicer ( Jack Lamman) to get in my daily servings of veggies.

My usuall cocatail consists of   carrot, beet, apple (for sweetness), celery, lemon, and ginger (high in cancer fighting antioxidants)

• althea
    edited March 2009
    Options

lexislove, my favorite combination is orange, lemon, apple, celery, carrot, and a slice of ginger.  Nowadays, I often have 2-3 green things in the mix to get more variety, usually cucumbers or romaine.  I had apple, celery and carrot the other day, that was delish.  Not all my concoctions are delish, but they all seem to make my bloodstream do a happy dance.  

beastybabe, you reminded me that I have v8 in my emergency food supply that I need to drink before it expires.  It at least has no high fructose corn syrup in it.  And the ingredient list is pronouncable, another thumbs up.  The 'ingredient' called 'flavoring' is suspect, however, and no telling what 'flavoring' is.  Also notice it says 'pastuerized for premium quality.'  What it should really say to be truthful is 'pastuerized to prolong shelf life.'  To receive premium quality, there is absolutely no substitute for drinking fresh squeezed juice within moments of making it.  

• flannelette
    edited March 2009
    Options

Well, here's one to avoid. As soon as I found out I had cancer, I bought a juicer. I kept reading about the properties of the cabbage family with their indole-3-carbinols - so - for 4 dys straight I drank a huge glass of cabbage juice, with a few beets & carrots to tone down the hideous flavour. Then, for 6 weeks straight I had diarrhea - nothing, certainly not imodium, could stop it. I went to surgery like this. I had to tell my oncologist, in my first interview with him (and a med student). I'm sure he thought oh here's another wacko! Finally my own dr. told me the digestive sytem replaces itself in about 6 weeks, and sure enough, the runs stopped then. this, no doubt, is crazy thinking, but I often wonder if the cabbage juice had some effect on the cancer, because, 3 weeks after the juice, when I had my mastectomy, though I had a whopper tumor (10 cm) no lymph nodes were positive, no vascular involvement, & margins clear.Wonder if the cancer cells couldn't stand it either lol! Went from sobbing to laughing as they began to read my path report. (knock on wood, always, when I talk like this)  I'm thinking of juicing again, but this time in moderation, & with guidance.

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

I too started juicing after being diagnosed. My integrative medical dr has me juicing wheat grass-1-2 ounces per day. It's very high in chlorophlyll-supposedly helps build red blood cells, high in Vitamins A, C, D, K and B complex, and removes toxic, heavy metals from your body. I have read many conflicting articles on whether this really helps or not but figured it can't hurt so I'll try it for a little while. I get it at Whole Foods and am now growing my own. My favorite, healthy vegetable juice is 4 carrots, about 3 kale leaves, an apple and a small slice of ginger. I'm really trying to make sure to get more greens in my diet so adding the kale to the juice really helps.

• havehope
    edited March 2009
    Options

lexislove

Sorry for the misunderstanding. POW does not have soy. Pomegranate is controversial like soy. It is a very powerful antioxidant which fights cancer but in the same time for people with estrogen + might not be good because it also feeds the cancer with estrogen.

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2009
    Options

I really curious is there proof any  food can feed estrogen?  Does anyone have any studies?  I see this all the time and just wonder about the research.

Flalady

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2009
    Options

I will continue to eat my fruits, vegetables, flax and other phytoestrogrens that I have always eaten.  I was never into soy and I won't start consuming it now.  They don't feed the cancer...that act as a weaker estrogen in your body...locking into the receptor so the "bad" estrogen cannot put the key in the lock to turn on the cancer.  At least that is how I have come to understand all the information I have read. 

One thing I live by...nothing in excess is ever good! 

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2009
    Options

I am very glad you started this.I was extremely ill during chemo, was hopsitalized for ten days for severe gastritis and neutropenic fever. I was put on Prilosec and Carafate.I could not eat the hospital food, it was so salty,it made me nauseous. When I came home, I searched the internet and found that the gastitis in my duodenum was inhibiting the uptake of vitamins and nutrition.I lost about 20 pounds in less than a month. I also found that taking the Prilosec or any acid reducer also had an effect. I had taken DGL licorice in the past,so stopped the prescription meds ,took the DGL Licorice and L Glutamine.Felt better within a couple of days.I also took sub lingual B 12. My doctor was fine with me doing this, though shocked that the natural stuff worked better than his expensive meds! Jackie

• havehope
    edited March 2009
    Options

I second Lisa. I believe in balance and I will eat fruits and veggies. Unfortunately for me I did introduced soy in my diet 3 years ago ( starting being perimenopause) and I have a feeling that might had induced an imbalance.  Add to that a lot of stress ( work related), family worries and here you have it: recipe for disaster. This is just my guess, of course I have no proof.

• havehope
    edited March 2009
    Options

FloridaLady:

http://www.drlam.com/articles/Estrogen_Dominance.asp

This is a complex article about estrogen. I do not endorse the medication or the article 100% but I believe there is some truth in it.

• D-Ann
    D-Ann Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2009
    Options

FWIW, I really think adding cabbage and cruciferous vegies to the diet is a smart thing to do. 

Juicing it the way Souad did is a bit extreme, poor thing!  Not a happy intro to juicing!  Lili46's recipe is wonderfully balanced, and all that nutrition would be a big meal, if eaten, but it is quickly absorbed and adds the nutrition without adding a whole meal to the schedule.  If it's a big quantity of juice, break it up into more than one serving in the day.  I mean, our bodies aren't used to this kind of thing, and deserve a quiet introductory period, don't you think? LOL

I discovered that I LIKE the taste of raw kale, like spinach, in salads.  Much tastier than lettuces, and much more nutritious.  (I don't even look at lettuce, anymore.)  Kale also has a wonderful texture when wilted in cooked dishes.  YUM

Sprouts are also good for eating and juicing.  Broccoli sprouts are the bomb!

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

It is so great to see new people chiming in. We have so much to learn from each other. Sometimes this quest for good health really makes my head swim. I am going to get the juicing going again soon. I bought "The Juicing Bible" and hopefully I will find something I can drink. It is weird because I love all the foods that are great for juicing, I just do not like them all mixed up.

Here is a great link (thanks to Lisa) about phytoestrogens and foods. There are lots of other but Susun gives a pretty good explanation. While she is a bit "out there" for me, I like a lot of what she has to say:

http://www.breasthealthcancerprevention.com/Article_Phytoestrogens.htm#SusunWeed

Souad-your story about your "run-in" with cabbage gave me a chuckle. Maybe we should all do a little "spring cleaning" and eat more cabbage! What a blessing that you large tumor did not spread.

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/FactSheet/Diet/fs1.phyto.cfm

This is a good thread also.  But there is no definite link so far I can find. I will look so more...  Just a lot of maybe's.  They all go back to soy and not test the other foods that are claimed to be bad for some.  Why spend all the time on soy? We need to know about the other foods.  A lot of these foods are very good for you and just to eliminate...I don't sure that is good.

Flalady

• althea
    edited March 2009
    Options

I tried juicing cabbage last year.  ugh!  I thought it was ghastly.  Later, though, I'd add just a little bit and got to where I had figured out how much to add with other things so that I really liked it.

Then I learned cruciferous veggies contain goitrigens, which interefere with iodine absorption by the thyroid gland.  People with underactive thyroid should avoid cruciferous veggies for this reason.  I don't miss cabbage one but, but I do like spinach, kale and collards in my juice.   For those of you who do opt for juicing cabbage, it should be consumed immediately as it oxidizes very quickly.  Now I'm wondering what difference it makes if it has oxidized, but that part I can't remember.  

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

I was brought up on cabbage...* eastern european heritage*

In winter my grandparents back "home" would pickle the cabbage that greww during the summer and have saurkraut for winter. Cabbage rolls were a staple. Yummy!

I even make a spanikopita type dish with saurkraut.  It's called "kapuska" in Serbian.

I really like my POM juice...and I think that it does more benefit than harm, I hope!

I will just lessen my intake a bit...and maybe I'll save a little $$$$ by doing that. Boy is it expensive!!!

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

lexislove,

You need to research foods that have been pickled like sauerkraut.  I just read one of the fews cancer that the Chinese people get is stomach cancer and research thinks it's from to much pickled foods. I was also told by a naturopathic doctor not to eat very much of these kinds of foods.

Flalady

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Stomach Cancer Also called: Gastric cancer

Stomach cancer mostly affects older people - two-thirds of people who have it are over age 65. Your risk of getting it is also higher if you

• Have had a Helicobacter pylori infection
    • Have had stomach inflammation
    • Are a man
    • Eat lots of salted, smoked, or pickled foods
    • Smoke cigarettes
    • Have a family history of stomach cancer
  • FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Half the world's stomach cancer victims in China 06 Dec 2006 02:59:11 GMT Source: Reuters Printable view | Email this article | RSS XML [-] Text [+]
    BEIJING, Dec 6 (Reuters) - About half the people who die every year from stomach cancer are in China and the main culprit is the nation's enthusiasm for pickled and smoked food and cigarettes, the official Xinhua news agency said. The disease kills about 300,000 people in China a year and there are 400,000 new cases reported annually, Xinhua said in a report late on Tuesday. Only lung and liver cancer kill more people in China, it quoted Jin Maolin, a doctor at Peking University, as saying. Though men aged over 50 are most at risk, the number of women in rural areas who have contracted stomach cancer has risen 25 percent in the past five years, Jin said. Chinese people need to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables and cut down on salted and pickled food -- very popular in China -- as well as smoking and drinking to reduce the risks, he added. The World Health Organisation and Chinese Health Ministry warned earlier this year that a surge in chronic diseases such as cancer and diabetes due to changing lifestyles could kill up to 80 million people in China in the next decade. Chinese urban residents today eat double the amount of meat they did 20 years ago and both men and woman were smoking at an earlier age, the health ministry said. The WHO wants developing countries, where most such deaths occur, to copy Western nations by discouraging tobacco use and curbing salt, sugar and saturated fats in food. They could have their work cut out for them in China, home to the world's most enthusiastic smokers who smoke about two trillion cigarettes a year, according to the Chinese government.