Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options

Comments

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2009
    Options

WOW...

thanks FloridaLady....

I had no idea. I thought cabbage was good though. and I read in the Foods that Fight Cancer book that they recommend it. I don't eat it often in the warmer months ..just winter.

I heard that the Japanese of the highest rate of liver cancer, due to their heavy drinking. My friend, also BC survivor, visited in October and she found that out.

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2009
    Options

Cabbage is fine...it's just not pickled like sauerkraut.

Flalady

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

Ok....

I have a question... a lady on the Stage 3 board has said that her onc says taking Fish Oil is bad for ER+ woman. Has anyone heard the same? Is this a phytoestrogen as well?!

I have been taking a fish oil capsule daily and have read how beneficial it is for our health. Ughhhhh. Seems like everything good for us is actually bad..

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm\

Good read....pretty much says...all good. I want it because chemo can do so much damage to the heart.

I'm keep looking for who says no and why.

Again in moderation. I think the key with this is so many of use don't eat a diet rich in Omega 3 so we need supplements too just get to normal. I know I'm one of them.

Flalady

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

I'm definatly one too Florida Lady

. I hate salmon but love any "white" fish . Problem is salmon has higher Omega 3 content than  cod, ect. Thats why I take 1 capsule a day.

Thanks for the searching!

• ejlj
    ejlj Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lexi, I have a few good salmon recipes if your intersted, I'll send them your way.  maybe they will change your mind (or maybe not?!?!)LOL!  tina

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

***lexislove- This is a on going trial. So they really don't know yet. Look it has been going on almost four years.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Preventing Breast Cancer in Women at High Risk of Developing Breast Cancer This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants. First Received: June 13, 2005   Last Updated: February 6, 2009   History of Changes

Sponsored by: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
    Information provided by: National Cancer Institute (NCI)

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier:

NCT00114296
      Purpose

RATIONALE: Chemoprevention is the use of certain drugs or supplements to keep cancer from forming, growing, or coming back. The use of omega-3 fatty acids may prevent breast cancer.

PURPOSE: This randomized clinical trial is studying how well omega-3 fatty acids work in preventing breast cancer in women at high risk of developing breast cancer.

Condition Intervention
    Breast Cancer
    Dietary Supplement: omega-3 fatty acids
    Genetics Home Reference related topics: breast cancer MedlinePlus related topics: Breast Cancer Cancer Drug Information available for: Docosahexaenoic acids Eicosapentaenoic acid U.S. FDA Resources
    Study Type:Interventional
    Study Design:Prevention, Randomized, Placebo Control
    Official Title:A Pilot Study to Evaluate the Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids on Intermediate Markers of Breast Cancer
    Further study details as provided by National Cancer Institute (NCI):
    Primary Outcome Measures:
    • Breast density as measured by the Madena method at 1 year [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
    Estimated Enrollment:80
    Study Start Date:April 2005
    Detailed Description:

OBJECTIVES:

Primary

• Determine the effects of omega-3 fatty acids on mammographic breast density (MBD) in women at high risk of developing breast cancer.

Secondary

• Determine, preliminarily, the effects of this supplement on cell atypia and breast cell proliferation measured in ductal lavage specimens from these patients.
    • Determine the effects of this supplement on circulating hormone and growth factor blood levels in these patients.
    • Determine the effects of this supplement on the expression of estrogen-related proteins found in ductal lavage specimens from these patients.
    • Determine the effects of this supplement on plasma lipid peroxidation levels in these patients.
    • Correlate the modifying effect of lipid peroxidation-related genes with MBD in patients treated with this supplement.

OUTLINE: This is a randomized, pilot study. Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms.

• Arm I: Patients receive oral placebo three times daily for 12 months.
    • Arm II: Patients receive oral omega-3 fatty acids three times daily for 12 months.

In both arms, treatment continues in the absence of the development of ductal carcinoma in situ or invasive carcinoma of the breast or unacceptable toxicity.

PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 80 patients (40 per treatment arm) will be accrued for this study.

Eligibility
  • ejlj
    ejlj Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2009
    Options

FLlady-Have you heard of any preliminary results thus far?  I am taking Omega-3 supp 2x/day that also contains sesame lignans and olive juice.  It's already helped me with my arthritic inflammation and I'm hopeful it will help with the cancer as well.  Tina

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

thanks for FL Lady..I read more into it.

And yes! Ejlj...if you can pm me a recipe that would be great. My husband loves salmon and goes with out because of me! ..lol. and I live in the Pacific Northwest which is salmon country. I think my phobia has to do with childhood. You see my father was a fisherman and would come home with a TON of salmon. Our freeser downstairs was filled. So much and he had a salmon smoker and would smoke salmon, my mother gave it to friends / neighbors as Xmas gifts. Smoked salmon is very $$$. anyways....when I was young he would come home and have to "clean the fish. He did this in the kitchen sink....EWWWWW.

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

Cardiovascular Benefits Of Omega-3 Fatty Acids Reviewed

ScienceDaily (Mar. 12, 2008) - Thousands of research studies have documented how the oils known as omega-3 fatty acids can benefit the cardiovascular system, particularly among people diagnosed with coronary artery disease. The incredible volume of research on this topic creates difficulty for many physicians and patients to stay current with findings and recommendations related to these oils. In the March issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, contributors briefly summarize current scientific data on omega-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular health, focusing on who benefits most from their protective effects, recommended guidelines for administration and dosing, and possible adverse effects associated with their use.

Two omega-3 fatty acids that have been associated with cardiovascular benefit, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), are found in fish oils. The best source for DHA and EPA are fatty coldwater fish such as herring, mackerel, salmon and tuna. Fish oil supplements or algae supplements also can provide omega-3 fatty acids.

Author James O'Keefe, M.D., a cardiologist from the Mid America Heart Institute in Kansas City, Mo., cites the results of several large trials that demonstrated the positive benefits associated with omega-3 fatty acids, either from oily fish or fish oil capsules.

"The most compelling evidence for the cardiovascular benefit provided by omega-3 fatty acids comes from three large controlled trials of 32,000 participants randomized to receive omega-3 fatty acid supplements containing DHA and EPA or to act as controls," explains Dr. O'Keefe. "These trials showed reductions in cardiovascular events of 19 percent to 45 percent. Overall, these findings suggest that intake of omega-3 fatty acids, whether from dietary sources or fish oil supplements, should be increased, especially in those with or at risk for coronary artery disease."

How much fish oil should people attempt to incorporate into their diets? According to Dr. O'Keefe, people with known coronary artery disease should consume about 1 gram per day, while people without disease should consume at least 500 milligrams (mg) per day.

"Patients with high triglyceride levels can benefit from treatment with 3 to 4 grams daily of DHA and EPA," says Dr. O'Keefe. "Research shows that this dosage lowers triglyceride levels by 20 to 50 percent."

About two meals of oily fish can provide 400 to 500 mg of DHA and EPA, so patients who need to consume higher levels of these fatty-acids may choose to use fish oil supplements to reach these targets.

Dr. O'Keefe also notes that research supports the effectiveness of combining the consumption of fish oil with the use of cholesterol-lowering medications called statins. Combination therapy with omega-3 fatty acids and a statin is a safe and effective way to improve lipid levels and cardiovascular health beyond the benefits provided by statin therapy alone. Blood DHA and EPA levels could one day be used to identify patients with deficient levels and to individualize therapeutic recommendations.

Dr. O'Keefe found little evidence of serious adverse effects associated with fish oil consumption. "In prospective placebo-controlled trials, no adverse effects were observed to occur at a frequency of more than 5 percent, and no difference in frequency was noted between the placebo and omega-3 fatty acid groups," he says.

The most commonly observed side effects include nausea, upset stomach and a "fishy burp." Taking the supplement at bedtime or with meals, keeping fish oil capsules in the freezer or using enteric-coated supplements may help reduce burping and upset stomach symptoms.

Adapted from materials provided by Mayo Clinic.
  • Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

I appreciate the info on fish oil. I love salmon but still take fish oil daily. Somewhere early on this thread there were some questions about turmeric. Here are a couple links to some recent info. about turmeric and it's anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory benefits...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/03/24/Holy-Powder-Makes-Membranes-Behave-for-Better-Health.aspx 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/02/17/Super-Spice-Secrets-This-Miracle-Spice-Stops-Cancer-Alzheimers-and-Arthritis.aspx 

I've been trying to incorporate more turmeric and curry into my diet. If it helps, great, if not I don't think it's going to hurt. 

Li 

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2009
    Options
  • sagit
    sagit Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2009
    Options

hi guys,

i'm new here, but i'm all about being natural. do u know the book "outsmart your cancer"? it's about alternative treatments 2 cancer and i think it's great!

sagit

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

I also read this book.  She does a good job at what is behind the thought of alternative cancer tx. 

Flalady

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2009
    Options

Flalady - back to pickled foods, from a few days ago. I recently (who knows where?) read an article on the benefits of fermented foods - such as yogurt and sauerkraut. I think we might call sauerkraut fermented rather than pickled. As in yogurt, sauerkraut provides us with probiotics, one thing I'm pretty sure we do need, esp. bc survivors. True, there's a lot of salt - my mom used to rinse hers under running water to get rid of excess salt.

Lexislove - I too was raised eastern European - cabbage rolls galore - What I drool over is pierogies.....I tried to resurrect my mom's fabulous cabbage, onion & saurkraut dish, but it didn't come up to par .... just couldn't use the 1/2 cup bacon fat needed for the real flavour. I hate smelts. My father used to clean them in the downstairs sink...also ewww. In fact they are probably delicious.

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2009
    Options

Oh - and I keep meaning to ask, is there anyone here who does anything herbal a la Susun Weed?

One thing I did that she suggests is to buy burdock seed oil to rub on my bald chemo head. My hair grew in fast, thick & wavy. But who knows if it was the burdock seed? could be heredity, & that's that.

I also make my own milk thistle tincture. anyone else? There are some things that don't sit right with me in her books, but some I like & will do. After searching to find out if it's ES+ or not, I've also decided to go back to making stinging nettle infusion & drinking that as a cold drink in summer.

All in moderation - no ripping my digestive system apart any more with glasses of pure cabbage juice LOL

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

I think  you made be right about sauerkraut, but this still was named specifically to stay away from in the articles posted.

Flalady

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited March 2009
    Options

I just bought a head of cabbage. I love to eat slaw, so I thought I would just toss it in a vinegarette. I am sure it is the pickling that causes the problem. I grew up in a town of German descendents and half the town got food poisioning one year from the sauerkraut at the annual fall fest, so I have never touched the stuff since!

Lisa-I just got Dr. Schwartz's book, "The 30 day Natural Hormone Plan". I am still waiting for the results of my urine test, since the first one broke in transit,  before I decide what direction I will go with BHRT. This book has a lot of really good info. FlaLady-she talks about phytoestrogens, which are good and bad, and the difference in good sugars and bad. She talks a lot about hormone balance through diet and exercise. One thing that puzzles me, and I will have to ask my doctor when I finally get my test results back, is that she says she prescribes estradiole. I thought this was the bad estrogen? Maybe she will explain it as I get farther in the book. She says she grew up in eastern Europe, eating lots of cabbage! What a coincidence? Or is anything a coincidence?

Lisa-I am jealous of your new jigglers! I have lost so much that I am probably a AA again. Back to no bras though, and lovin it!

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

souad...I also read that formented food was beneficial.

In that book Cooking with Foods That Fight Cancer, they actually talk about "kiefer" which is a strong yougurt eaten mostly in Eastern european cultures.

I don't think I can ever give up my cabbage rolls...no sir e bob!!!

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

lexislove,

We all have thing we just can't give up... so enjoy! My big thing for me is a bake potatoe with butter and sour cream.... It was french fries for many years... so I guess I'm doing a little better :)

Flalady

• amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2009
    Options

hi ladies, good to read so many valuable comments....I haven't felt to well in the past couple of weeks....i have been reading everyone's post...but haven't had the energy or mind to post.

Anyway, I think when I switched CoQ10 brands....(to save $), that may have caused the lack of energy.....and my serum iron showed up low last week....dropped from 70's to the 30's.....though my HCT and HGB are within normal limits..I went back to Walmart today....and bought the "spring Valley" brand of coq10. I took 200mg as soon as I got home....ate some chicken noodle soup...then took a 10minute rest....and wallah....i have more energy....though my throat is sore.....must have caught it while working in the ER this week.

on the sour kraut issue....the Joanna Budwig diet suggest a morning dose of this juice or acidophilus milk....suppose to get the intestines ready for the day....

well off I go

God bless you everyone

Amber

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited March 2009
    Options

i think we need to remember that much of the food supply in China is either pickled or dried.  Fresh food is not available as it is here in many parts of that huge country due to limited refrigeration.  I think cancer rates would be correlated to the percentage of fresh foods eaten. 

the minimal amount of pickled foods that Americans eat may not pose a risk for cancer and may indeed be of benefit..

(i haven't had cabbage rolls for ages..  i think i'll try some on my family again.. yum)

• PT63
    PT63 Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2009
    Options

Just coming to this thread at the invitation from Vivre from the Motivation thread....

The comments about the cabbage rolls are making me crave them... Anyone grow up with saurkraut and dumplings?  My grandmother made those and kolaches - I think both from Bohemian/Czech recipes.

I have added flax to my cereal in the AM and started with supplements after my dx.  Prior to my dx. I ate healthy but truly did not "watch what I ate".  Now I am paranoid about soy and anything that is not organic.  I no longer drink bottled water.  We got the non-PBA bottles and re-fill them with filtered water.  One of my best friends was just diagnosed with HTN.  I started her on Fish Oil supplements.  She also just had a hysterectomy so I started her on vit D and Calcium......Oh to be young, healthy and naive again!!!!

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

PT-glad to see you joined us here. Sounds like you are definitely on the same wave length with us natgirls. I know what you mean about the bottled water. I use to walk around with those plastic bottles all summer. I would even refill them and freeze them, so I could take ice water with me. I cannot believe I did this now. I am sure there are those that will say this had nothing to do with getting bc, but I think it is one of the many little contributing factors that build up toxins in us that eventually lead to cells going cancerous. It is so important to be aware of as much as possible and cut out as much as we can so our immune systems are not so over whelmed. As I said, the fact that I did sort of "take care of myself" probably kept my cancer from spreading and I am not about to take that for granted. I now want to make sure I am doing everything possible to help my body be healthier.

Amber, I was wondering where you were. Sorry to hear you are still having problems with your energy. I hope the change of coq10 does the trick. It is amazing how different brands may have different effects. That is why I change brands on all my supplements. How much coq10 are you taking? Have you ever tried reservetol? It has all the benefits of red wine without the alcohol.

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options
    The whole plastic water bottle thing...I did too. I have since stopped, its been about 5 years now since I stopped working. My dad still does it!!! Even though I tell him what it means.....well why would he care...he smokes too Undecided
  • amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2009
    Options

Vivre, thanks for thinking of me....and I usually take 200mg of the CoQ10....if I take it to late in the day, I tend to not sleep as well.( it is 2am, so I must have taken it to late...dose yesterday at 2pm) though I may be up because of the sore throat/now sneezy runny nose..... I will look into the reservatol....

The plastic situation will not go away, pink survival, does the recycle rating "1" mean it is good?

I was just reading about the importance of buying flaxseed oil in glass bottles....It is omega 3....I buy "Barleans" brand.....they package in a dark "plastic" bottle....and the directions say refrigerate....I have to order mine directly from the company....though it doesn't come in a refrigerator...."HaHa"....the local health food store will not order the specific flaxseed oil I need...though they will order the Highest lignan Barleans....it is the one their customers request....the owner told me the flaxoil isn't affected by temperature unless the temperature reaches some outrageous degree 320 degrees...so they typically do not ship on ice...but it plainly states refrigerate.

• PT63
    PT63 Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2009
    Options

Good Morning

I am taking the Trader Joe's brand of supplements: Trader Darwins.  I had ordered my flaxseed directly from a wholesaler that my parents found a one of their excursions but it got to be a hassle so now I just use the Trader Joe's brand and keep it refrigerated.  Right now I have pre-ground in my refrigerator because I found I was having a hard time taking the extra step to grind it.  Then my grinder died and I didn't get a new one...excuses, excuses, excuses.Wink

There also seems to be discussion in the news that grape juice has all the same qualities of red wine without the alcohol.  Too bad I don't really like grape juice and I would prefer the wine!

Lexi, I know what you mean about parents.  My parents actually swear by flax seed and will go out of their way to order and grind it because it is "good for them".  But then my mom will eat a five scoop ice cream sundae for dinner with nothing healthy because she was "craving ice cream".  Strange

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2009
    Options

PT63...do you like red grapes?  The skin of the grapes is where all the "good stuff" is located! 

Finding organic grapes is the difficult thing here.

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

Amber-sorry you are not sleeping. Do you take magnesium at night? The vitamin shoppe has a great mineral combo supplement containing mg,cal,etc. I take half of it in am, and half in pm. I find that when I forget, I do not sleep as soundly.

PT-make sure your read the labels carefully from Trader Joe's. I bought a multi and when I got it home, the fine print, said it had soy and iron in it-two no no's. Fortunately, TJ's are great about returns. And at least the flax will keep your parents regular!

I love grapes, but like Lisa said, it is hard to find organic ones. Since grapes have a lot of surface area, there is a lot of possibility to be exposed to pesticides. I believe that the #1 reason we are getting cancer, is our exposure to pesticides.

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2009
    Options

HI all.

I have been a lurker since I am not that informed and I am trying to learn from this thread.  But one thing to take into account is that food from China in general does not have the same safety standards that our food does.  While ours is not good, it is better than China.

I had a baby sitter from China, an educated young women who had been a nurse midwife in China.  She told me to never ever buy any canned or other produce from China because it was sprayed heavily with pesticides.  And since up until about 20 years ago, all people in China had to work in the fields for periods of time (I do not remember the exact details),  this was based on her personal observation.  Now I cannot testify to the accuracy of her statements but it might be that the prevalence of stomach cancer in China is more than just eating pickled food....it may be that they eat pickled food that is high in pesticides or even just that they were in the fields 20 years ago when they were spraying.  

These are just random thoughts but I am always trying to make sense of things that do not make sense.

Have a nice day all.