Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options
1332333334335336338»

Comments

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited April 2014
    Options

RE: Peanut butter

Check this out:
    http://www.sharecare.com/health/womens-health/arti...

(too bad so many kids today seem to be allergic!)

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited April 2014
    Options

RE:my Naturopathic Oncologist wants me to eat 8oz of white button mushrooms/wk as it is a natural aromatase inhibitor. I asked her about other types and she said there is a lot of research on white button mushrooms, but not others, doesn't mean they are not beneficial, just that there is no research...

Check out DR WEIL'S website on he topc of mushrooms if interested.  Google DR ANDREW WEIL

• Hopeful65
    Hopeful65 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    Options

Is anyone still on this thread? I just joined and I am very interested in eating raw and trying to heal naturally by boosting my immune system.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited July 2014
    Options

i am here, mostly vegan, taking lots of supplements but I do take exemestane too as naturopath says nothing natural is as effective or proven as aromastase inhibitors and i was stage 3 on diagnosisd 

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm here to.  I also take an AI, eat mostly vegan, take several supplements, and currently receiving IV vit C.  I to was dx with stage 3.

• Hopeful65
    Hopeful65 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    Options

Thanks you all!!! I will keep an eye on this thread to see what people are doing to give me more options. How often to you do the vitamin c IV? I currently take a liquid vit c, eating vegan, taking vit D, taking beta 1, 3D Glucan, barley powder and PectaSol-C(modified citrus pectin).

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2015
    Options

I do IV vitamin C 2x a week.  You can find an IV C thread that I created in  the Alternative area.  

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2014
    Options

I did a series of Vit C infusions right after my lumpectomy as I did not do radiation or chemo.  They made me feel great...my hair grew in nice and thick and I actually lost weight.  I still take a product called Bio Fiz which is a high dose of vitamin C (2,500 mg) each morning with my green smoothie.  It actually makes it taste better.  I rarely get sick, but I also take a vitamin D supplement (10,000 units) daily and try to get at least an hour of sun.  It's been said that vitamin D with K is very important in prevention of cancer and most cancer patients are low in Vitamin D.  My levels right now are 54 but I would like to be higher.  I was at 27 when diagnosed with BC three years ago.

I was rigid about my diet for the first year or two, but now not so much.  I gained about 8 of the 20 pounds that I lost back, but I'm still at a good weight for my height.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited July 2014
    Options

what goes in yourvgreen smoothie please? 

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2014
    Options

Lily55:  Green Smoothie:  Kale, Romaine and/or spinach, (enough to fill the vita mix or other blender type container) 8 oz of coconut water plus additional water to half full.  Blend until smooth then add four large strawberries...more if small, four or five chunks of pineapple and blend again until smooth.  To this mixture you could add protein powder, a banana, yogurt or just leave it plain which is what I do, and add a tsp of my vit C supplement.  My Vita Mix container is 64 oz so I usually have enough for several days.

• Yazmin
    Yazmin Member Posts: 218
    edited April 2015
    Options

Just bumping this wonderful thread, here.

This thread contains a wealth of fantastic information.

• amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited September 2015
    Options

I started this thread and have not been on the site for some time, still believe in natural stuff, and am so happy to be in remission, 7 years now,

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thank you so much for starting this thread. It was enormously helpful to me when I was first diagnosed, that was 5 years ago. I have made so many healthy changes for my entire family since then. I would say the biggest eye opener was watching Forks over Knives (a post on here) and becoming whole plant Vegan. My whole family has never felt better. Thank you for starting this thread. May you continue to enjoy life and stay healthy!

• labelle
    labelle Member Posts: 134
    edited September 2015
    Options

Another big thanks. I've referred to this thread so many time since beginning my "journey" and have often wondered what became of the original "nature girls." Good to see you.

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks too amberyba for starting this thread. I made some changes in my diet too (one was greatly reducing my dairy intake thoough I have not eliminated it completely). I was a vegetarian when I got cancer and still am. I watch my vitamin d3, C and a fe w other things thanks to this thread. I am 7 years out and doing well.

Hugs

Mandy1313

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited November 2016
    Options

I was on here a lot and gained such support and info. Stopped by to read several pages. Dealing w mets - either going w trials of a phase 3 last phase drug w Faslodex which will MAKE it work. And canna do much that could interfere though study onc has approved many of my supplements and thyroid choices. OR will go w complementary AND Ibrance alone or a combo of Ibrance and another drug, Arimidex perhaps. In discussion. I have a few days to decide and begin. I will find people from here slow and sure, We come and go.

• Nulyte
    Nulyte Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi anyone have positive nodes but low Mammaprint and luminal A and decide to just do tamoxifen and natural remedies?

• LovesLoons
    LovesLoons Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2016
    Options

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. If anyone attacks patients for their choices ... that's a reflection or them, not you. People need to do whatever they feel most comfortable with. If someone makes a choice because (name celebrity) did it and makes that choice with no research, well that's not the best way, but I have found rarely, if EVER, those people exist.

I went through a lot of attacks when I was diagnosed with late-stage Lyme disease. Lots of controversy in the medical world on that diagnosis, mostly by those who don't know better. If you read the actual science, it's obvious that it is not always cured by antibiotics. Tell that to 90% of the doctors out there, they will roll their eyes at you even though people who for years said it was easily cured have now published research saying it is not (though they don't promote that fact).

Natural things will never get the stamp of approval because there isn't much money to be made in it. But that definitely doesn't mean it's wrong. The more the ubiquitous "they" attacks something, the more I think it IS better (and they know it). Winking

That being said, though, I have a love/hate relationship with the pharmas. I have narcolepsy and nothing is going to put that right for now except meds they made (and give me free actually). The new trial drug I am on is very promising.

But---

As far as cancer, no one can truly say what is the best for anyone though. Science is always changing and many tumors are just mysteries (like the triple negatives). Keep doing what you are doing! And ignore the negative people. Hug

• mellee
    mellee Member Posts: 220
    edited December 2016
    Options

Yes, Nulyte -- I was stage IIB, with 2 positive sentinel lymph nodes out of 5. I had macrometastatic deposits in 1 node (largest size: 3mm) and micrometastasis in the 2nd node (under 2 mm in size).

My Mammaprint classified me as low risk, and based on that, my oncologist was comfortable saying I don't need chemo (this after first pushing for it based on my relatively young age). My general surgeon took my case to a tumor board yesterday, and there was a unanimous consensus among the panel based on Mammaprint that I can opt out of chemo.

I'm getting a 2nd opinion with an expert at UC Irvine who has pioneered several chemo treatments for breast cancer that are now the standard of care, but I'm fairly certain that I will not pursue chemotherapy.

That said, I had lots of other positives in my favor that make me more comfortable with the choice to pursue tamoxifen as my sole adjuvant treatment. My tumor is Luminal A, Grade 1. There was no extranodal involvement or lymphovascular invasion. I'm 100% ER+, 97% PR+, HER-2-, and my Ki67 was low (6%). Also, the cancerous deposits in my lymph nodes were relatively small (even in surgery, they appeared clinically negative by sight and feel). Plus, my surgeon did a Level 1 and 2 axillary dissection (27 additional lymph nodes) which was completely clear. Finally, I did the full Myriad myRisk® Hereditary Cancer test, which tests for BRCA1, BRCA2, and a slew of other genetic mutations associated with breast cancer (and other cancers as well). They all came back negative.

Ultimately, you have to assess your personal risk factors and weigh them against the predicted benefit of chemo (in my case -- at least if Mammaprint is right -- the benefit is extremely small).

There are other prognostic tools that can also give you a general risk analysis and help you make your decision. AdjuvantOnline is the gold standard, but unfortunately it's down right now as it's being updated. Another you can use in the meantime is Predict (http://www.predict.nhs.uk/predict.html).

• LovingIsLiving
    LovingIsLiving Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2016
    Options

Nulyte like mellee, I also went with Tamoxifen. Only 1 node positive. My tumor was 30% DCIS, and I had a low mitotic index, which means the cells were dividing slowly. I had no LVI and the lymph node was contained. Everything put together made me lean towards no chemo. I decided to go on no-dairy and limit beef/chicken. I feel better now than I did before, mentally and physically. I thank God every day for guiding me to the right decision.

As far as other natural remedies, I take

Vitamin D 2500 IU

B-complex

Chelated Magnesium

Calcium/Phosphorous/Magnesium

Vitamin K2 MK4

Beta Glucan - This was shown to prevent tamoxifen resistance and it helps the immune system

Melatonin at night - Helps prevent tamoxifen resistance as well in addition to sleeping like a baby

Probiotic

I also avoid anything that can interact with Tamoxifen absorption CYP2D6 Inhibitors. I read labels on everything packaged. "No cheese please" is my new catchphrase. Wishing you the best!