Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options

Comments

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2009
    Options

StaceyR ....I continued to teach Zumba fitness classes all during chemo and it really helped to keep the side effects at bay.  In fact I would teach every night right after having my chemo treatments.  My hardest days were Mondays...but I also taught on those days as well. 

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2009
    Options

LJ13 maybe you should have done more research.  There is zero proof that Stage O ladies need chemo. 

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

Cancer Treatment: How Eating Fruit And Vegetables Can Improve Cancer Patients' Response To Chemotherapy

ScienceDaily (Oct. 24, 2008) - The leading cause of death in all cancer patients continues to be the resistance of tumor cells to chemotherapy, a form of treatment in which chemicals are used to kill cells.

***Just of LJ13 ****Now a study by UC Riverside biochemists that focuses on cancer cells reports that ingesting apigenin - a naturally occurring dietary agent found in vegetables and fruit - improves cancer cells' response to chemotherapy.

Xuan Liu, a professor of biochemistry, and Xin Cai, a postdoctoral researcher working in her lab, found that apigenin localizes tumor suppressor p53, a protein, in the cell nucleus - a necessary step for killing the cell that results in some tumor cells responding to chemotherapy.

The study, published in the online early edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, provides a novel approach to conquer tumor resistance to chemotherapy, and suggests an avenue for developing safe chemotherapy via naturally occurring agents.

Normally, cells have low levels of p53 diffused in their cytoplasm and nucleus. When DNA in the nucleus is damaged, p53 moves to the nucleus where it activates genes that stop cell growth and cause cell death. In this way, p53 ensures that cells with damaged DNA are killed.

In many cancers, p53 is rendered inactive by a process called cytoplasmic sequestration. Apigenin is able to activate p53 and transport it into the nucleus, resulting in a stop to cell growth and cell death.

"In therapy you want to kill cancer cells," explained Cai, the first author of the research paper. "But to stop cell growth and to kill the cell, p53 first needs to be moved to the cell's nucleus to function. Apigenin is very effective in localizing p53 this way."

Apigenin is mainly found in fruit (including apples, cherries, grapes), vegetables (including parsley, artichoke, basil, celery), nuts and plant-derived beverages (including tea and wine). It has been shown by researchers to have growth inhibitory properties in several cancer lines, including breast, colon, skin, thyroid and leukemia cells. It has also been shown to inhibit pancreatic cancer cell proliferation.

"Our study advocates the inclusion of vegetables and fruit in our daily diet to help prevent cancer," said Liu, the research paper's coauthor.

The National Institutes of Health supported the five-year study.

Next in their research Liu and Cai plan to design therapies for cancer by finding compounds that are like, but perform better than, apigenin.

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

Fruits and Veggies Cut Cancer Risks

Studies Offer New Insights Into How Plant-Rich Diets Can Offer Protection (continued)

Fruit, Vegetables Lower Head and Neck Cancer Risk continued...

To help settle the issue, National Cancer Institute researchers asked 490,802 AARP members about their typical dietary habits and then followed them for five years. During that time, 787 of them developed head and neck cancer.

Results showed that participants who ate about 12 servings of fruit and vegetables per day were 29% less likely to develop the cancer than those who ate three servings per day. Increasing consumption by just two servings of fruit or vegetables per day was associated with a 6% reduction in head and neck cancer risk, researcher Neal Freedman, PhD, a cancer prevention fellow, tells WebMD.

One serving equals approximately one medium-sized fresh fruit, 1/2 cup of cut fruit, 6 ounces of fruit juice, 1 cup of leafy vegetables, or 1/2 cup of other vegetables.

Broccoli Curbs Breast Cancer Spread

While studies have shown that broccoli and soy offer protection against breast and ovarian cancer, how this occurs has not been well understood, says Erin Hsu, MS, a molecular toxicologist at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Her team's laboratory experiments offer one potential clue, showing that diindolylmethane (DIM), a compound resulting from digestion of cruciferous vegetables, and genistein, a major isoflavone in soy, reduce production of two proteins whose attraction to each other is necessary for the spread of both cancers.

In the experiments, the researchers exposed breast and ovarian cancer cells to purified DIM or genistein. Levels of two proteins known as CXCR4 and CXCL12 that promote breast and ovarian cancer spread dropped.

"In other words, DIM and genistein make the cancers more treatable," Hsu tells WebMD.

Both DIM and genistein are being developed for use in the prevention and treatment for breast cancer, although more extensive toxicological studies are necessary, she says.

• staceyr
    staceyr Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lisa, I've seen you mention these Zumba classes before and I must admit I'm clueless about this activity!  (uh, google, Stacey..?)  It sounds very active, and you look very fit!

My oncologist was a physiotherapist before she decided to study oncology, so she's the one who leads a lot of the research in this area.  I think she started with men doing treatment for prostate cancer, and has moved over to women with bc.  I feel pretty fortunate that I was in the right city and had the flexibility to commit to the 3-times-weekly schedule.  I did about 10 different weight exercises and 20 minutes of cardio each visit.  I'm sad to say I haven't quite kept up this level of exercise, but I do more yoga at home now, so I feel good about that.

• anondenet
    anondenet Member Posts: 261
    edited March 2009
    Options

Zumba sounds terrific! I wish there were a class nearer to me. Nearest is 35 minutes away.

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hey Natural girls. I think it is great that we have a topic that we can talk about different subjects in alternative and complimentary care. It sometimes gets confusing with all these threads with the same topic. There must be 10 of them going about Vit. D. I think we need to a name for our group so I am calling anyone who is on this wave length FriendsThinkingOutsideTheBox or FTOTB for short. Welcome to the club!

Kay, don't beat yourself up about losing weight slowly. That is the only way to keep it off. I only lost about a pound a week. It is about changing eating habits, not counting calories and pounds. Once you get through a few months, you will feel so much better, that you will be motivated to continue. Remember those pounds took years to add up. Rome was not built in a day. Just keep at it. You can do it too! You too Jennifer. I kept changing one thing at a time. First cutting sugar and carbs, then dairy, then adding exercise, etc. Actually I have always liked to exercise. My docs said that is probably what kept me at stage 1. However, I never pumped iron before. Now I do a lot of free weights. Muscle burns more calories than fat. When I started working out an hour every day, the weight really started to fall off. Now I miss it if I skip a day. I either take a 3-4 mile walk, or do and hour of free wts, rebounding, and pilates in front of the TV. I hate gyms.

I must say I did not follow doctors orders from the start. They told me to take it easy and let others take care of me. I live in a house with all males. Yeah right docs! But walking became so cathardic that that is what I did. When I sailed through rads without any fatigue, they admitted that it was a good thing, and even told me they were going to use me as a example.

Stacey, thanks for the recipe. It sounds like one I might like. I will get out the juicer tomorrow and try it.

• anondenet
    edited March 2009
    Options

Yes, V, we need to reorganize the place! But this Natural Girls thread is just a general subject group. I never know when a topic deserves a new thread.

Anyway, those of you near Florida, this doctor is giving a talk on cancer at the Orlando AntiAging conference in April. Have you guys heard anything about him or his protocols?

http://www.alternativecancersolution.com/

>

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited March 2009
    Options

Yes, I agree that we already need to start over.  We didn't even get past page one without this thread turning into yet another debate.  LJ13, would you bring pork to a Jewish potluck?  Would you bring a jackhammer to a concert?  Are you unaware of how inappropriate your comments are on this particular thread?  There are plenty of other threads to voice your negativity.  This was started as a thread for building a support net of friendships.  You clearly have a different set of values, and no one is suggesting you relinquish them, but I do think the women who like to explore 'unproven' options for our health are entitled to at least one thread where we can seek sanctuary from your disagreeable nature. 

On that note, how about we call the next thread "Alive to Thrive".  

• Makratz
    Makratz Member Posts: 1,605
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Just a thought.  If someone posts anything that is  "negative or sacarstic" why not just ignore the post?  Don't even read them if you know the post is negative and defintiely don't respond to the post.

I wonder if there is a way to become a moderator of a thread to ensure the rules are followed?  Perhaps you should ask the moderators.

Love the thread.  Best of luck to you all.

• amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi everyone, I was hoping LJ13 would stay off this thread, and like Makraz wrote let us just ignore her, I did think there was a way you could report comments. as I posted that I had once tried to start a thread that  would allow us natural alternative girls to encourage each other LJ13 is the one who put me down and make tried to make me feel worthless.

Stacey, I wrote the juicing recipe down....i have seen kale in the grocery, but have never bought any.

Althea, You always have great insight and I do enjoy reading everything you post.

Vivre, I am taking Vitamin D-3, I did research the idea, asked my gyn to check my levels and mine was 24, normal is 30-100....and I am going to my primary care doctor in about 9 days...he wants to recheck my levels. He told me there is not much out there in the way of recommended doses, but he did recommended 2,000 units for my low level. I use the NOW brand.

I am going to try the flaxoil and cottage cheese starting today. I read that organic oil in the refrigerator section is the best to use....and that organic cottage cheese is suggested too. I just hope they aren't too expensive.

Lisa, i have never heard of Zumba....and you look so fit....amazing.

Kay, i need to loose too...and like vivre said don't beat yourself up....I am going to take that advise too. I was scared after I was diagnosed to diet, I had planned to start a diet after  Christmas 2007, on christmas morning of that year I felt the lump...I made the neccessary appointments and hoped the lump was benign.....(my sister is a 9 year survivor).... I lost 12 pounds before I had my surgery....then I kind of lost heart....was afraid that loosing weight meant the cancer could be spreading.......Now about a year later, I am afraid to get on the scale now...but my family doctor will weigh me in a little over a week.....terror of terrors....ha ha!

Well it is 3:30am here, been up since 2am, and fighting insomnia

Thanks for all the support!

Amber

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

ps: ladies I don't know if it will help, but if you notice, beside the time each post is posted (like 5 hrs ago) there is an area that says "report this post" , I think we can click this when we get a sarcastic of negative input, for those that are trying to discourage us. I tried it, and when you click it, you will find a statement that asks if you are sure you want to report the comment. So click away. He he!

May the Lord bless and keep you all...

Flalady, didn't you start the bible verse encourager, I have posted there and read some awesome verses others have submitted!

Amber

• JeninMichigan
    JeninMichigan Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hello girls.   I am new to the board.  I have complimented my med treatment with holistic and alternative methods.  I will not blindly follow my oncologist through this journey.   I am lucky that she has been open to everything I have thrown at her from my naturalist and my own research.  She is one of the rare ones that knows the value of diet and nutrition and preaches fruits, veggies and vitamins.  

I take a product called transfer factor and urge all of you to look at it very closely.  pm if you like. i can't say enough about it.  I have been NED after 3 treatments (june 08) and still remain NED as of two weeks ago!!   I have not had as much as a cold during the whole treatment.  I breeze through rads and am pretty much side effect free with the current herceptin/kyterb/Tamoxifen/Arediea treatment.  

Take a look a this book.   "A Maverick of Medicine Speaks to Women" .. by Dr. Duane Townsend, MD.   If you ask your oncologist or gyn doctor, they will know this man... he likely wrote their text books.   However, he has traveled the alternative route and knows the success.  He open criticizes the corruption in the medical community between pharmaceuticals and insurance companies.   He gives amazing information regarding female health and what we can do naturally (and so easily) to make a huge difference..   I urge all of you to look at this book.  you can get is on Amazon for like $14.95.    I have read it multiple times. 

I love your thread. 

Jennifer 

• lisasayers
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thought you may all be interested in reading this blog by Dr. David Brownstein, MD (in Michigan)

Is Conventional Medicine Evidence-based?

An article in the Journal of the American Medical Association (2.25.09. Vol 301. No.8) looked at the scientific evidence underlying the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the American Heart Association's (AHA) clinical practice guidelines.  These guidelines give doctors recommendations for treating various cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension, heart failure, angina, etc.    For example, the guidelines have stated that a normal blood pressure should be 120/80mmHg.  If it is higher, doctors have to consider medication.  In effect, these guidelines are designed to influence the practice of medicine and serve as templates for how cardiovascular patients should be treated.   These guidelines are based on sound scientific evidence, right?  They are free of bias, right?  These guidelines are the true example of evidence-based medicine, right?  Unfortunately, the correct answer to all three of these questions is "wrong". 

This study found that 48% of the time, the guidelines are based on the lowest levels of evidence.  The accompanying editorial in JAMA (p. 868) stated, "The most widely recognized bias is financial.  Guidelines often have become marketing tools for device and pharmaceutical manufacturers.  Financial ties between guideline panel members and industry are common.  In a study looking at 44 guidelines, 87% of the guideline authors had some form of industry tie."

I am always confronted with the statement that conventional medicine is evidence-based, while holistic medicine is not.  This study would show that statement to be hogwash.  The authors of this study point out that, "The AHA and the ACC's own guidelines are based on lower levels of evidence or expert opinion {which} highlights deficiencies in the sources of definitive data available for the generation of cardiovascular guidelines.  ...Clinicians need to exercise caution when considering recommendations not supported by solid evidence." 

I couldn't agree more with their conclusion.  That is why I am writing my books, newsletter and blog.  Before jumping to the newest and most heavily advertised drug therapy, educate yourself about the benefits and the risks.  Then you can truly use the best evidence to make an informed decision. 

• lisasayers
    edited March 2009
    Options

Welcome Jennifer.....I'm heading over to Amazon to check out the book now!  Thanks

• anondenet
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thanks, Lisa, for Dr. Brownstein's blog.

Scroll down on this page to see his video clips. http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/videos

He knows a lot about breast disease and breast cancer. 

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

Anom, thanks for the link to the Fla Doc. He had some very interesting info. Especially concerning the value of chemo. He is proof that more docs are thinking outside the box and integrating their treatments. Let's hope it spreads even more. That new link sounds interesting too. I will check it out!

JenInMich-Welcome to our little club. FTOTB! That sounds like a great book you found. I will definitely look for it. What is transfer factor? That is a new one on me. Wow, we can learn a lot from you! I wish I had your onc! I really like my onc a lot. She was very caring, but strictly msm all the way. After tiring of the debate with her staff about arimidex, I said adios. I have a team of alternative docs now who are monitoring me.

Amber, my D3 level was low twenties too after I finished treatments. I do not know what it was before, my docs never tested it. When I went to a chiro to help me with nutrition, she tested my level. When it came back low, she put me on 6000 IU. After 6 months, I had raised it to 45, which is just borderline. So she said to continue for another 6 months. We tested again and it was 117! So I guess the supplements work! Now I am down to 2-4000 IU. I use drops by Carlson. One drop is 2000 iu so it is easy to take.

Lisa, thanks for the article by Dr Brownstein. It is always great to keep finding the evidence that we are on the right track, even though we have FlaLady and now JenInMich as our inspirations! Would you please give us more details on Zumba? I know you have talked about it before, but I never heard of it around here, and I was a PE teacher. I guess I went to school in  the dark ages. LOL

I am still having a hard time with the flax/cottage cheese thing. I believe that dairy was a huge contributor to my bc, so I avoid it like the plague and I still keep finding such controversial opinions on the flax. What do you gals think? I do use the grape seed oil on my skin. It feels great and is a great antioxidant, and has the same benefits as flax.

• JeninMichigan
    JeninMichigan Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Vivre. 

Check out this link

http://www.transferfactor.com/Home/Faq

I won't go into my whole menu here but if you are interested let me know and I can give you all the nitty gritty details.    I have gone to alot of conferences and attend weekly conference calls for this research company.  I spend a small fortune in products but I am convinced of their benefit.   I even have my two daughters on transfer factor.  One has asthma and the other reactive airway disorder.  Since September, they have both been off their meds (ie Singular, Advair, Abuterol treaments, Rhinocort).  They have not had a single episode that they have needed a treatment.  

I have heard so many b/c patients say that their oncologist has told them to take nothing but a vitamin during chemo.  And they struggle so much.  They battle infections and stomach issues.   If you look at this book, he will tell you the opposite.   

I am in a chemical menopause and then the Tamoxifen can make things interesting.  I take Isoflavones and I do not have a single hot flash, mood changes, etc.    Dr. Townsend talks extensively about isoflavones and soy in his book.   It is well worth reading.

If you go to www.4life.com check out the product "Riovida" is amazing. 

Jennifer

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

I did a lot of research on Transfer Factor last year.  I did take this while not on chemo.  You can find drug trials posted for this.  They do show benefit again they were not followed through on....

Flalady

• anondenet
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have taken the 4Life brand Transfer Factor for several years when flying or when I feel a cold coming on. It usually gets rid of any incoming virus.

I have now switched to Livon Labs nanotechnology Vitamin C which is faster, more effective and WAY CHEAPER.

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

Clinical Summary - Sloan Kettering site

Transfer factors are a complex group of more than 200 highly polar, hydrophilic, low molecular weight (less than 12,000 Daltons) proteins produced in small quantities by lymphoid cells (1). Their precise molecular structure has not been determined. They carry with them the parent lymphocyte's delayed-type hypersensitivity and cell-mediated immunity and pass it along to non-immune recipients and they appear to function across species. Transfer factors can be extracted from human or animal white blood cells, cloned lymphocytes grown in vitro, colostrum, and egg yolk. They appear to be well tolerated and in clinical settings have shown some signs of efficacy in treatment of herpes (2), acute infection in children (3), chronic fatigue syndrome (4), and Candidiasis (5). One study showed effectiveness in increasing white blood cells, CD8 lymphocytes and interleukin 2 levels among patients with HIV (6). Transfer factors appear to be ineffective in treating hepatitis (7), multiple sclerosis (8), extrinsic bronchial asthma (9), human warts (10), and acne vulgaris (11). In the realm of cancer treatment, studies have shown transfer factors ineffective in treating malignant melanoma (12), nasopharyngeal carcinoma (13), bronchogenic carcinoma (14), Hodgkin's disease (15), osteogenic sarcoma (16), and mycosis fungoides (17). In rats, transfer factors were shown to reduce tumor size and increase peripheral blood T-lymphocyte counts (21). Transfer factors show signs of effectiveness in increasing survival rates among patients with Stage I adenocarcinoma of the lung (18) and Stage I cervical cancer (19), but further research is warranted. In a study of children with leukemia, immunization with transfer factors conferred protection against varicella-zoster infection (20). Overall, there is a paucity of large randomized controlled clinical trials, and a need for further research into the effectiveness of transfer factors.

Purported uses

Cancer Multiple sclerosis HIV/AIDS Herpes and Epstein-Barr virus Hepatitis Asthma Chronic fatigue syndrome Nonbacterial recurrent cystitis Candidiasis Acne vulgaris Wartstop

Mechanism of Action

Though the exact mechanisms of transfer factors remain unknown, they contain many molecules, some of which act in an antigen-specific manner, while others have been shown to have immunomodulating capabilities (1). Human leukocyte dialysates (DLE) contain low molecular peptides that were characterized in the late 1980s as amino terminal ends of enkephalins. A low molecular weight subfraction derived from DLE, IMREG-1, has been shown to enhance cell mediated immunity (22). In vitro studies have shown that both cells murine recipients and humans treated for herpes zoster virus infection secrete gamma-interferon in response to transfer factors (23). Studies have also suggested that production of transfer factors, but not the immunologic activities, is regulated by immune response (Ir) genes. (24).

Pharmacokinetics

It is not clear if transfer factors are absorbed following oral consumption. According to a study done in mice, both oral and parenteral administration of transfer factors was equally effective (25).

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

Salmonella Bacteria Turned Into Cancer Fighting Robots

Libraries
    Medical News
     Keywords
    CANCER, TUMORS, CHEMOTHERAPY, SALMONELLA, INTRATUMORAL THERAPEUTIC DELIVERY

Contact Information

Available for logged-in reporters only

Description

Salmonella bacteria can be turned into tiny terminator robots that venture deep into cancerous tumors where conventional chemotherapy can't reach. Once in place, the bacteria manufacture drugs that destroy cancer cells. This could translate chemotherapy that is more specific, more effective and easier on patients.

Newswise - Neil Forbes of the University of Massachusetts Amherst has received a four-year grant of more than $1 million from the National Institutes of Health to research killing cancer tumors with Salmonella bacteria. Forbes turns the bacteria into tiny terminator robots that use their own flagella to venture deep into tumors where conventional chemotherapy can't reach. Once in place, the bacteria manufacture drugs that trigger cancer cells to kill themselves.

"When we get the Salmonella bacteria into the part of the tumor where we want them to be, we've programmed them to go ape," says Forbes. "We have the bacteria release a drug to trigger a receptor in cancer cells called the "death receptor," which induces cancer cells to kill themselves. We've already done this in the lab. We've done this successfully in cancerous mice, and it dramatically increases their survival rate."

Normally, mice with tumors all die within 30 days. After receiving this bacterial system and getting a dose of radiation, all the mice in Forbes' lab tests survived beyond the 30 days, which could potentially translate into many months or years in people.

"It sounds like science fiction, doesn't it?" says Forbes, an assistant professor in the chemical engineering department. "But Salmonella are little robots that can swim wherever they want. They have propellers in the form of flagella, they have sensors to tell them where they are going and they are also little chemical factories. What we do as engineers is to control where they go, what chemical we want them to make, and when they make it."

Using bacteria to attack cancer tumors has been tried with only moderate success for decades. But Forbes' work with Salmonella is introducing a radical improvement called "targeted intratumoral therapeutic delivery," which sends the bacteria into parts of the tumor that are currently beyond the reach of conventional therapies. This could translate into individualized doses of chemotherapy for human cancer patients, make therapy more specific and effective, give people smaller doses of chemicals while they are being treated and cut down on patient mortality.

The basic problem being addressed by Forbes is that some regions in any cancer tumor are impossible to reach with current chemotherapy drugs. Drug access to the tissue in any tumor is limited by the distribution of its blood vessels. Tissue located farthest from its surrounding blood vessels is the hardest for drugs to reach because the vessels act as their chemical highways into the tumor. Every tumor has a different distribution of blood vessels, depending on the nature of the tumor and the patient's genetic makeup.

"Think of the region between blood vessels as a sponge," explains Forbes. "The particles from a therapeutic drug tend to accumulate around the outer portions of the sponge, nearest the blood vessels, and not penetrate to the interior."

That's where an unlikely hero, the Salmonella bacterium, comes in. Unlike drugs (which are not alive), Salmonella can take energy from their environment and can "swim" wherever they please. They have their own outboard motors called flagella, and can travel where they want in a tumor, regardless of blood vessels. Forbes' concept is to use special Salmonella disarmed of their toxicity and fix them with drug payloads so they can swim into these hard-to-reach regions of the tumor and kill the cancer cells there.

"The bacteria, as far as I can tell, are the only therapy that can penetrate deep into tissue, far beyond where blood vessels reach," says Forbes.

Bacteria naturally seek out dead tissue for food by using sensors that home in on chemicals such as ribose, given off by dying cells. But Forbes doesn't want his Salmonella robots going to the dead cancer cells already killed off by chemotherapy. He wants them penetrating to the slow-growing, but live, cancer cells that current therapy can't touch. So his solution is to remove the ribose sensor from Salmonella.

"By knocking out the ribose receptor, we can keep the bacteria away from dead cells, where we don't need them to go, but get them to travel into slow-growing cells located in hard-to-reach tissue far from blood vessels; the regions currently beyond our therapeutic treatment," says Forbes.

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
    edited March 2009
    Options

This salmonella article is fancinating. In my twenties I got salmonella at a camp...not a fun disease. It would be a horrible way to kill cancer, but worth it if it worked.

My friends are suggesting various vitamins to either prevent cancer or to help my now disfunctioning thyroid. I've become a pill taker. Yesterday, after getting home late in the day, I gulped down 7 pills. I had to go somewhere that night, and while driving my throat locked up and I knew those pills were about to eject. I quickly pulled over to the side of the road and threw them up. How do you take several pills at one time without it affecting your stomach? I have a growing aversion to pills.

Here's what I'm taking...Armour, Iodine, Selenium, Vit. D, Iodoral, Zinc, Juice Plus Veg, Juice Plus fruit, and 4 Samon Oil pills. Sometimes I add B12, Lyzine and a couple other pills.

I feel forced to take pills for fear I'm not getting everything I need in my diet.  My np doc said, due to the hypothyroid I couldn't eat raw broccoli, cabbage and similar veggies...so the jucing thing won't work for me. Do you think the vegatables the np is talking about includes lettus? I'm not sure what I can put in a salad. Staying healthy is a lot of work...plus exercising.

• D-Ann
    D-Ann Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hey, y'all!  I'm new on this thread, and not likely to comment a lot for a while.  But, about LJ13, or anyone else who is attempting to disrupt this discussion, if you go to her ID page (click on her name) there is a button to 'ignore this member'

If you 'ignore this member' from that button, when she posts to the group you won't see anything but her name.  I tried it.  You see that she made a comment; there's a space for it and her sig shows in the left column, but the comment is blocked from your view.

This all assumes that you are logged-in, of course, and only works for those individuals who use this feature.  It is not a block for the entire group of participants, as a whole. 

Also, if you change your mind, the blocked message is replaced by a system message telling you that you are ignoring that member, and offers to unblock the member from view.  No need to go back to the other page to un-click 'ignore this member'.

So, if you really don't want to read her comments, just use 'ignore this member'!

• motheroffoursons
    motheroffoursons Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2009
    Options

From a previous post: It is really important to supplement with probiotics, especially if you take an antibiotic because they destroy the beneficial enzymes in the stomach.

Please note:

A probiotic is not the opposite of an antibiotic.  Antibiotics are specific toward certain groups of  bacteria and inhibit their growth though a variety of mechanisms mostly involving the bacterial cell wall, etc. However, they  also destroy the helpful bacteria that are a normal part of the intestines.  This is what produces the diarheahh from antibiotics, the destruction of both harmful and helpful bacteria.

Antibiotics do not destroy enzymes.  Most of your enzymes in your digestive system are released by the pancreas and gall bladder. 

For more information, antibotics affect bacteria, and not viruses.

Probiotics refers to the beneficial bacteria found in yogurt that help mostly in restoring the natural environment within the digestive system (especially after a case of diahrhhea).  I am not being sarcastic or argumentative.  I just want to correct the science- the implication that probiotics and antibiotics are similar and affect enzymes.

Not having had chemo, I would assume everyone is a little different and some individuals would get sick on excess fruits and vegies, while others would fare very well.  We should each have the freedom to explore our options.  However, comments on correctness of science should be regarded as helpful, not argumentative.

P.S.  I am stage 0 and I do take offence at the implication we have nothing to offer.  I am stage 0, have had symptoms of inflammatory breast cancer (not found), have lesions on my liver and pancreas (to small to characterize-maybe growth being held in check by Tamox?) and just had a hysterectomy with a suspected "tumor of low malignant potential."  I am stage 0 and holding,  but also deeply affected by cancer.

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

This is just one of many articles on the value of probitotics while on antibiotics. In fact, many doctors, including mine, recommend them.  It is good to understand the science:

Make friends with good bacteria: if bad bacteria are ruling your digestive system, you could be setting yourself up for health problems - Do-It-Yourself Cures

Natural HealthMarch, 2002   by Cheryl Redmond

AS MAY AS 500 SPECIES OF bacteria call your digestive system home. While you may be familiar with the unfortunate effects of bad bacteria--like vomiting and diarrhea--some bacteria are actually good for you. These beneficial bacteria are called probiotics, which means "for life."

Your diet and lifestyle largely dictate whether there are more good bacteria than bad bacteria populating your digestive system. You want higher numbers of probiotics because of all the good they do: They produce vitamin A and the B vitamins, enhance your absorption of nutrients, help you digest food properly, and stimulate your body's production of immune-boosting substances like IgA (immunoglobulin antibodies). They also crowd out bad bacteria.

Related Results

But that's not all. Probiotics can do more for certain people. If you take antibiotics or have high cholesterol, for example, these good guys work to bring your body back into balance. Here we detail five reasons why you may benefit from adding probiotics to your diet. Probiotics are found in common foods like yogurt or in supplements; to find the best sources to fit your needs, see "How Do I Get Probiotics?" on the next page.

Reason 1: You Have High Cholesterol

THE PROBLEM: Too much cholesterol in your bloodstream leads to cardiovascular problems. Your liver uses cholesterol to produce bile, a substance that breaks up fats in your small intestine and makes them easier to digest. But most people have more cholesterol than their bodies need, especially if they eat a diet high in animal fats. This excess cholesterol finds its way into the bloodstream.

WHY PROBIOTICS WORK: Beneficial bacteria in your small intestine help break down your body's bile and remove excess cholesterol, says James Anderson, M.D., a researcher at the University of Kentucky in Lexington.

THE PROOF: A study in the Journal of Dairy Science in March 2000 showed a 17 percent improvement in the ratio of HDL ("good") cholesterol to LDL ("bad") cholesterol in mice that were fed the probiotic called Lactobacillus reuteri. Studies on humans show more modest results. Two clinical studies in the February 1999 Journal of the American College of Nutrition found a 2 to 3 percent reduction in blood cholesterol levels among subjects who ate a daily 7-ounce serving of yogurt enriched with L. acidophilus for four weeks.

Reason 2: You Suffer from Ulcers

THE PROBLEM: Helicobacter pylori, a bacteria transmitted orally through contaminated food or water, is considered the cause of most intestinal and stomach ulcers, although exactly how this germ works isn't known. The toxins produced by this bacteria inflame your stomach lining.

WHY PROBIOTICS WORK: Most ulcer patients receive antibiotics for treatment. While this helps kill the bacteria that created the ulcer, it also lowers reserves of good bacteria. Taking probiotics while taking antibiotics can help keep your intestinal flora in balance and prevent antibiotic side effects like diarrhea. In addition, some strains of Lactobacillus have been shown to inhibit H. pylori.

THE PROOF: A handful of studies have been done on the use of probiotics plus antibiotics to treat ulcers. In a 2001 study in the journal Digestion, 60 people were treated only with antibiotics for H. pylori and another 60 people took antibiotics and L. casei GG (a specially designed strain of the probiotic L. casei). Those receiving the probiotic supplement reported significantly less severe side effects from the antibiotics, including bloating, diarrhea, and taste disturbances, than the control group.

Reason 3: You Take Antibiotics

THE PROBLEM: Broad-spectrum antibiotics like tetracycline and ciprofloxacin, which has recently been in the news due to the anthrax threat, kill both good and bad bacteria throughout your body, leaving a vacuum where any surviving or newly introduced bad bacteria quickly proliferate. This can also allow yeast and fungi to gain a foothold in your digestive system and cause yeast infections or diarrhea.

WHY PROBIOTICS WORK: Beneficial bacteria adhere to the lining of your intestinal wall, crowding out the bad bacteria that survive the course of the antibiotics. Therefore, it's a good idea to take probiotics while you're taking antibiotics, says Sherwood Gorbach, M.D., a probiotics expert and researcher at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston.

THE PROOF: Several clinical trials show that various good bacteria like L. acidophilus and L. casei and the beneficial yeast Saccharomyces boulardii (considered a probiotic) are effective in preventing and easing antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD). In a study in the November 1999 Journal of Pediatrics, only seven of 100 children taking L. casei GG developed AAD; among the 100 children taking a placebo, 25 developed AAD. A previous study in the American Journal of Gastroenterology in March 1995 found a 51 percent reduction in AAD among patients who were given S. boulardii.

Reason 4: You're Prone to Yeast Infections

THE PROBLEM: When the yeast Candida albicans, a normal and usually neutral inhabitant of your digestive tract, grows out of control, it manifests as a vaginal infection or a rash on your skin or in your mouth. Antibiotic use is a common cause of yeast infections, although factors like a high-sugar diet, frequent washing with harsh soaps, or use of birth control pills may contribute to Candida overgrowth.

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

good morning ladies,

Barry, I appreciate you sharing about the supplements you are taking, D-Ann, thanks for the info, that is very helpful., Vivre, good info...thanks

Today I went in search of cold pressed flaxseed oil...found the treasure, It is wonderful (Barlean's) brand...mixied it with cottage cheese (though I didn't have the organinc kind), put a couple of heaping spoonfuls on fresh canteloupe strawberries, bluebeerie, and bananas, sprinkled tbsp of ground organic flaxmeal, topped with walnuts......and walah a wonderful treat.

had a cup of greentea to top it off,

took my CoQ10, Vitamin D3 and Acai berry supplements too.

that helps me to share the goods....

My January mamomgram was normal and my breast surgeon examined my breast at the same time, I told him about an area that comes and goes on the good breast....he said not to worry and not to examine the breast until after my period.....but dang it, I examined it the last 2 days and the worrisome area pops up....so I am on a mission to do the flaxoil/cottage cheese and fresh fruits and veges till I see my onc in April to see if this helps....I have had fibrocystic breast since my teens....and since i found that malignant lump I panic when I feel something....but doing the natural thing, helps me give my body a fighting chance. If any of you natural girls pray...pray for me on this. Let me know of any prayer request you have to!

Well, I hope everyone has a splendid uplifting weekend!

Amber

• CaseyDoodle
    CaseyDoodle Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2009
    Options

Ladies,  Having read so much about CoQ10 I decided to do some research to see if I could get it from food.  Well, the answer is yes, if you are willing to eat organ meats, which I am not.  So, my question is this...  Do we get the same benefit from taking the supplements?  Are some supplements better than others and if so, how do I determine the best supplement to buy?

Thanks for your input.

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

Kay, from the things I have read, yes the benefits of supplements is good.

My sister and I use the walmart "spring valley" brand...though I just bought the CVS brand...she has been using it for years....and is 9 years in remission.

But like you I do not know which is the best brand....most companies boast that they have the best brand.....but I have read that the brand that says umbiliquinol (? spelling) is the best.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2009
    Options

Barry, they wouldn't actually give you salmonella orally to fight cancer. This is likely a recombinant DNA approach where they modify the salmonella bacteria to attack cancer but not cause illness. It is one of many biological approaches to fighting disease. There are also viruses they modify to attack cancer cells. It's all in early research stages.