Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options

Comments

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited March 2009
    Options

Casey, There is a girl at my local Vitamin Shoppe who has worked there for years and she gives me a lot advice on different brands. I tend to use different brands of all my supplements because I feel if one is better than another, I am more protected.

I definitely feel that supplements make a difference because I have had blood tests done that prove it. For instance my vit d level went from 22 to 117 from supplements. Obviously, I have cut back on it now, but the last test was done in Jan. and there is no way I was getting any D from the sun, or from dairy, which I have pretty much given up.

Amber, you doc is right about breast changes during the month. Do not fret so much unless it is a hard lump that stays for a while in the same place. Doctor Northurup's book, the Wisdom of Menopause, talks a lot about this and even offers ways to help it. It is a hormone thing, so you might want to see if you can balance your hormones. Have your progesterone, the protective hormone checked.

Sherri dear friend. Glad to see you here. I know nothing about WBC since I never had the problem, but maybe someone else can offer advice.

D-ann, I am taking your advice.

Anom, what is this livion  labs vit c thing you mentioned?

• Yazmin
    Yazmin Member Posts: 218
    edited March 2009
    Options

D-Ann: Thanks a lot for the "ignore this user" tip. I had not discovered that one yet. It could really come handy.Laughing

I find LJ13's last post very interesting, though. I did not know about salmonella being used that way, and I am happy to learn something new. I am now going to research your last point.

• havehope
    havehope Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hello everybody!

I am also a "natural girl". My family eats organic food almost 100%. It is very expensive but i refuse to give up. We are also using only organic bath and kitchen products. We cannot afford organic clothes but we use organic/natural detergents.

I refused Tamoxifen and i have contacted a doctor in Germany to start the mistletoe therapy after i finish chemo ( May 29). I need to find a good gym, i need to introduce more physical in my life and I am looking for a good nutritionist doctor to help me balancing my diet. If anybody can recommend a good one in NY-NJ area i will really appreciate it.

My onc is so-so with my natural approach. I did give her a training in organic food and other chemicals in the food. I have a chemistry background and it is easy for me to read food labels. I teach my DD that if she cannot read the ingredients than she should not eat that product.  

I didn't need neulasta with the FAC treatment but i had to fight with my onc every time. After my 2rd TX my WBC went up from 2900 to 5300 in one week and she wanted to repeat the blood test and post pone the 3rd tx. I told her it is ok. I was right. After the 3rd TX it went up to 4800 from 2500. I am starting Taxol on March 13 wkly for 12 wkly. I hope to manage without neulasta.

Choosing Chemo was the hardest decision i had to make. I am against everything that chemo does to my body except i hope it will kill any cancer cells that are still in my body. After chemo I will start a detox and continue with the alternative treatment.

I am very happy to find you all.

• D-Ann
    D-Ann Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2009
    Options

Yazmin, I agree with this: "...I am happy to learn something new...", and I have chosen not to ignore this member.  Instead, I've marked her as a fav.

I can ignore (well, most of the time) the disruptive nature of her posts.  Mainly, they're disruptive b/c she puts them in threads where they are not welcome.  I'm not convinced that this is b/c the intent is to be disruptive.  It's even likely she's trying to keep the kind of info she posts included in those threads b/c she is very concerned and fearful of the the different mindset...meaning she thinks it's too risky to let it run on it's own.  In other words, she might just be afaid we're all making a fatal mistake to even think we can help ourselves this way and she's caring enough to try to intervene.  Maybe she thinks she's being an (however unwelcome) anchor in what she considers the 'real world.'  She wouldn't be the only one on this site who thinks this way, or in the world at large, for that matter!

Now, admittedly, I'm giving her a huge benefit of the doubt.  Really huge.  But if I read her posts with that attitude, it makes them easier to ignore for the sake of the thread.  And it's really not about why she's doing it, as far as I'm concerned.  It's about whether I might get some benefit from what she has to say.  I'm used to reading with a 'mental filter' to avoid stuff I'd rather not read in books that are otherwise appealing.

The reason I've marked her as a fav, is b/c that sends a msg to my email that she's made a comment, and the comment is quoted.  If I want context, I can click over into the thread from the email.  If the comment doesn't need context, I and read and delete, as I choose.

I've discovered that her posts often contain some element - sometimes a significant element - of information that I find valuable to either learn or be reminded of.  Reading in my email, out of context of the thread, takes the disruptive factor out of it, and I get the benefit without the frustration.

Not everyone can do this, or would even want to do this.  This just works well for me.

Knowing how the site features work can facilitate getting what you really want and need out of it.  I'm still figuring it out. *grin*

• Yazmin
    Yazmin Member Posts: 218
    edited March 2009
    Options

D-Ann: You are really smart. You took the time to find all of the forum's useful features and it works to your benefit. Most of us just dive into the forum and start flailing around. We usually only start thinking about useful features when a problem presents itself.

Now, thanks for sharing, because we can all use those features to our advantage (one of the chief advantages being to be able to take away the disruptive factor). Indeed, some of her/his comments are useful.

Not to toot our own horn, but it seems to me that integrative medicine-oriented people tend to be quite open-minded, willing to listen to all opinions and trends before making our own decisions.

I deplore the fact that so many others chose to blindly put their lives into the hands of doctors who are not always caring, who obviously do not know everything, and who are often willing to blindly execute orders they themselves received from higher authorities. Said authorities are, in turn, too often too busy with the financial aspect of everything to be able to take into consideration the patients' welfare.

• amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thanks vivre, I will try not to worry. Hopefully my period will start soon and the lumpy area will dissipate.

Simvog, let us know what you find out about the mistletoe...that is what suzanne summers used, didn't she. It is neat you are able to go organic....I can't afford it right now....but I am trying to incorporate fresh veges and fruits, which has always been a struggle for me. Chemo is a big decision....I wish you the best and detoxing sounds great.

Yazmin it is so true...i spoke with my onc about coq10 and he really didnn't know much about it.... but he told me flax was ok.....and I had heard so many controversial things about er+ and flax from others on other threads....but I really can't find any real literature with any studies of it being harmful in causing BC....just studies where it helped decrease tumor size....

Ladies on the flax/cottage cheese....I used an immersion blender to mix it together, (bought an 11.00$ one at walmart). and it mixed like a cream cheese....quite a lovely flavor especially with fresh fruit on top. I am trying to stay away from red meat and hydrogenated oils and fats....sugars will be a hard denial....so the fresh fruits are going to be increased....maybe I won't crave sweets/CHOCOLATESealed!!!!!....I will keep posting as to whether I notice any benefits from the flax oil/cottage cheese.....If any of you are adding this to your diet...I would love to hear how it is going.

Amber

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hey natural gals: FTOTB. I wanted to tell you about a wonderful new treatment I did last night. While going through rads I started taking baths. I was always into showers only, but they were uncomfortable after surgery and rads, so I dusted off my tub. While talking about how much I was enjoying my relaxing baths, one of the women having rads for uterine cancer (or something in that area) cautioned me about not putting anything in the water. She said that it probably contributed to her problems. This was the first time anyone had ever connected the dots for me on health and beauty products and cancer. So I heeded her warnings, but always felt something was missing in my bath. Last night, while reading one of my health books, it talked about the benefits of an oatmeal bath. You put a cup or two of oatmeal in a mesh bag, or wrapped up in cheesecloth or netting, tied with a rubberband. Put it in the bath and use it as a washcloth. I also put some eucalyptus oil on my washcloth and put this on my chest. It was soooo relaxing and my skin was so soft afterwards! Anyone else have great bath ideas?

Simvog, glad to see you found us. It is always great to have new ideas.

Amber, the immersion blender sounds like a good idea. I am still wary of the cottage cheese, because I have given up dairy, but I will check it out if I see some organic cottage cheese.

I just met someone who grows her own mushrooms and sprouts. I can't wait to learn how!

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

that is cool vivre, I never thought of an oatmeal sponge....I love the smell of eucalyptus...what/where do you get the eucalyptus.....is it quick oats or the real thing?

I got advice from another lady on another thread about a detox bath the old fashioned way.....mix a cup of baking soda and a cup of epsom salts in a warm/hot bath.....I did this quite a lot after rads...it made my skin soft.

I have wanted to do my own sprouts too....but I figured it was useless...because our house doesn't have good windows in appropriate place to grow things....I do not have any live plants in the house.....

hugs

Amber

• dghoff
    dghoff Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi All,

So nice to see a thread dedicated to supporting everyone. Sometimes the comments do get a little, um, intense in the negative department over in this section of the forums, but I think those folks just feel like they need to be the "voice of reason" and they don't want people to have "false hopes". Frankly, I don't think there is anything wrong with whatever kind of hope you can get. After all, mind over matter, right?

Anyhow, so interesting to hear what everybody else is doing. I've been thinking about dropping tamoxifen. It just feels so wrong to take it even though I haven't really been having side effects. Though I notice if I skip it for a couple of days, I feel more energetic. 

I've been really researching the raw foods thing, and it makes so much sense to me.  I even went totally raw for 3 days in a row. I felt so good!  I think it really cleaned me up internally, and I'm finding that I'm now even more sensitive to foods that have given me some problems in the past, such as wheat. I've always coughed a bit and gotten mucus from wheat products, but since doing lots of raw, the lymph nodes in my neck and throat start to swell up whenever I eat a substantial amount of wheat. My body is really seeming to crave the raw foods. 

Oh, and Amber, you don't need much sun at all to grow sprouts. It is soooo easy and you just need a teeny bit of light. I grew them in a dark Minnesota winter, so it can be done! Pea sprouts are divine and so easy. Just soak them overnight, then drain and rinse them a couple more days til they sprout a tail.  Stick them on some dirt. Water them a bit, and voila! Sprouts! You can do the same with sunflower sprouts.  You can do jar method with alfalfa, broccoli and radish sprouts. And you honestly need very little sun for them to green up.  I even grew some in a basement with just a flourescent light overhead. I feel so crafty when I do the sprouting! 

Oh, and I saw somebody mentioned throwing spinach into a fruit smoothie. I highly encourage you all to try it if you like smoothies. I throw kale, spinach, chard, parsley, arugula, whatever in my fruit smoothies, and you can't even taste them! Just read up on green smoothies and you'll find a wealth of great info about how very good they are for you!

Peace and veggies!

DeAnn

• havehope
    havehope Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2009
    Options

This is an interesting article.

http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/chemfoodhert.html

Avoid Chemicals, Foods and Herbs that Act as Estrogens

Source: Women's Therapeutic Institute

Phytoestrogens, Naturally Occurring Plant Estrogens Plants produce chemicals that mimic estrogen, and block progesterone. In general, it is thought that they tend to wash out of the body within several days in contrast to months or decades that the xenoestrogens take to be excreted. Whole grains, fruits, seeds, beans and herbs all are know to have estrogen and/or progesterone activity. In general, any food that has been eaten by a culture or people group for centuries is probably all right to eat if the people group in question is relatively free from these estrogen related diseases.

When referring to phytoestrogens, it is generally thought that a "weak" estrogen may actually be protective against cancer causing xenoestrogens. The best example, is Lilian Thompson PhD's work that showed that oral ground flax seed reduced breast cancer size to one half between the time of diagnosis and surgery. A strong phytoestrogen may actually make the disease worse. Again the list that follows is incomplete because of the lack of research money and interest:

Coffee is a known phytoestrogen. Coffee is commonly known to make fibrocystic breast disease worse. It is not thought to be the caffeine, but coffee itself mimics estrogen strongly. Thus, decaffinated coffee still may be estrogenic.

Clover, Red Clover tea, Alfalfa Sprouts. Australian sheep grazing on imported European clover developed still births and sterility 3 years later. Finally, formononetin was determined to be the culprit. Formononetin mimics estrogen.

Sunflower Seeds. Coumestrol found in sunflower seeds when fed to the mother rat caused permanent reproductive problems in the rat pups: female pups when grown did not ovulate, and the male pups had altered mounting behavior and fewer ejaculations. Neonatal rats and immature rats exposed to coumestrol had premature estrous cycles. Flax seed oil and Soy oil are known NOT have the active phytoestrogens. Sunflower oil MAY or MAY NOT have active hormone components in it.

Queen Anne's lace (wild carrot) During the fourth century B.C., Hipocrates noted that Queen Anne's Lace prevented pregnancies. It is now know that that seeds contain a chemical know to block progesterone needed to maintain a pregnancy.

Pomegranate The Greeks used this plant as a contraceptive. Modern research confirms strong estrogen activity.

Fennel Used in the ancient world to prevent pregnancy and precipitate abortions.

Licorice, Red Clover, Yucca, Hops (Beer) and Motherwort David Zava, PhD showed that these herbs stimulated estrogen receptor positive breast cancer cells to grow. Red Clover and Yucca were found to be equal in potency to estradiol at the same concentrations. Women who harvest hops for beer begin menstruating 2 days later anecdotally. Zava has confirmed that beer has a significant amount of phytoestrogens that have moderate estrogen activity from hops used in the flavoring of beer.

Bloodroot, Ocotillo, Mandrake, Oregano, Damiana, Pennyroyal, Verbenna, Nutmeg, Tumeric, Yucca, Thyme, Calamus rt., Red Clover, Goldenseal, Licorice, Mistletoe, Cumin, Fennel, Camomille, Cloves. There are separate estrogen and progesterone receptors. Zava, PhD was able to show that the above herbs are able to bind to the progesterone receptor. These herbs would compete against any natural progesterone taken and should also be avoided.

Interestingly enough all the progesterone binding herbs were antagonists or neutral meaning they competed against progesterone and worked against it or blocked progesterone. None of them were progesterone stimulators.

Bloodroot, mandrake, pennyroyal, yucca, and mistletoe all have very strong progesterone binding activity and are used as abortifacents (create an abortion), and to bring on menses. Bloodroot was used in England to treat breast cancer 100 years ago, and was used by Native Americans to treat surface tumors. Herbalists today use it to treat breast cancers, nasal polyps, and cervical dysplasia. Mistletoe has been used for 100 years in Europe to treat breast cancer and leukemia.

Herbs that Suppress Breast Cancer Cell Growth Zava, PhD also found that Mandrake, Bloodroot, and Juniper stunted the growth of BOTH estrogen receptor positive breast cancer cells and estrogen receptor negative breast cancer cells. Saliva estradiol results also showed very low estradiol in women taking the Chinese herb Dong Quai. It is thought that Dong Quai suppresses estradiol synthesis.

Chemicals that Mimic Estrogens (Xenoestrogens) In last decade, new research has come to light that demonstrates that synthetic chemicals that are very different in structure to estrogen may act as an estrogen. The Xenoestrogen in question may either bind to the receptor strongly or weakly. It may also stimulate the receptor strongly or weakly to imitate the effect of estrogen, or it may elicit a response that is an abnormal estrogen response. Thus, these chemicals can cause breast cancer, uterine cancer, fibrocystic breast disease, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, premature sexual development and uterine fibromas. Some have hypothesized that since the prostate and uterus are embyrologically the same, xenoestrogens may also cause benign prostatic hypertrophy and prostate cancer. Critics have proclaimed that these chemicals are for the most part "weak". However, they exist in the body in concentrations 100's to 1000's of times of the natural body hormones; also one researcher demonstrated that two "weak" estrogens may act synergistically to give a strong estrogen response. Some of these Xenoestrogens like DDE (a metabolite of DDT) may persist in the body fat for decades. Since this is a new field of research only a few chemicals have been tested (this by definition is an incomplete list), and are listed below:

Pesticides & Herbicides such as DDT, endosulfan, dieldrin, methoxychlor, kepone, toxaphene, chlordane, and other chlorinated hydrocarbons. DDT is banned in the U.S. Baby roosters exposed to DDT grew up looking like hens. The U.S. produces it and ships it to other countries. However, it is present in imported produce. DDT found in the fat of U.S. citizens is traced to imported produce. Combinations of the other pesticides above are found on U.S. produce that exceed FDA safe levels, and are typically greater on U.S. produce compared to imported produce. Synergistic effect is know to occur between pesticides yielding greater toxicity and estrogen effect. However, exact combinations and levels are unknown. Farms, lawns and golf courses use pesticides and herbicides that easily enter the body through the skin and lungs. Golf courses use 7 times the amount of pesticides than farmers use.

Products associated with plastics such as bisphenol A and pthalates. Bisphenol-A was originally designed for use a synthetic estrogen replacement. It was found to work quite well as an antioxidant to prevent plastic from breaking down in the sunlight. Bisphenol-A is used in drinking water bottles, plastics used in baby bottles, plastics used to pack food, and some dental composites. Pthalates along with excess estrogen given to chicken used as food were suspected to cause girls as young as 18 months to begin to menstruate in Puerto Rico in the ‘70's and ‘80's.

In one Dartmouth University study, the researchers found that plastic wrap with olive oil heated in a microwave produced a concentration of xenoestrogens 500,000 times the minimum amount of estrogen needed to produce breast cancer cell proliferation in a test tube.

Bishphenol-A contamination was also found in the majority of canned food as high as 27 times the minimum amount of estrogen needed to stimulate breast cancer cells to grow in the test tube.

Pharmaceuticals such as drug estrogens (Prempro, DES, and Premarin), Cimetidine( Tagamet), Marajuana, and Birth Control Pills. The Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) lists gynecomastia (breast enlargement in men) as a side effect for Tagamet. Many of the synthetic estrogens are chemically modified to be different from naturally occurring estrogen to increase profits from a patented drug. Thus, they may have grave side effects. Also there is some evidence that they may be stored in the fat for months.

Ordinary Household Products such as breakdown products from laundry detergent and dish detergent that include nonylphenol, octylphenol and spermicide. Laundry detergent persists in the clothes even after washing gets on the skin and is broken down by bacteria. It is then absorbed by the skin. If an estrogen is taken orally it is 80-90% first pass metabolized by the liver before entering the body. In other words, the body only gets 10% of the estrogen when taken orally. By contrast anything absorbed by the skin goes directly into the body. Looked at another way, anything on the skin has an effective concentration that is 10 times that of an oral dose.

Industrial chemicals such a PCB's (polycholrinated biphenyls). This is an industrial oil used in electrical transformers that is now banned in the U.S. However, it persists in the environment and the fat of animals for decades. It bioaccumulates in the fat and of course, top of the pyramid predators such as polar bears. PCB's been implicated in dropping polar bea fertility in Greenland.

Commercially raised meat such as pork, chicken and beef. Industry supporters claim that the estrogen in estrogen supplemented feedlot meat washes out of the animals' system in several weeks. However there is some evidence to suggest that the estrogens persist in the fat for several months. Europe has refused to import American and Canadian beef because of this issue. This bone of contention has been the basis for a trade war for several years.

Preservatives used in skin lotions, shampoos, and body lotions such as the parabens that include methyl paraben, ethyl paraben, proply paraben, butyl paraben. Researchers from the Department of Biology and Biochemistry of Brunel University in the United Kingdom have conducted a study1 and found that alkyl preservatives (methyl-, ethyl-, propyl- and butylparaben) are weakly estrogenic. The European Union has asked the European Cosmetics and Toiletry industry about these new findings and the implication for breast cancer. These preservatives are found in the vast majority of skin an body lotions, even in natural progesterone creams. Anything absorbed through the skin is 10 times the concentration of an oral dose.

Solution 1. Avoid using plastic with food and water whenever possible. Especially avoid heating food or water in plastic. When food and or water is heated with plastic, the diffusion of plastic into the food and water is much worse. Heat up food in the microwave using ceramic plates and bowls. 2. Do not use pesticides or herbicides on the lawn or in your house. Eat Organic food. Organic food is grown without pesticides, herbicides and synthetic fertilizer. Minimize canned food. 3. Change your laundry detergent to powdered detergent from the health food store without additives. Use Simple Soap as a shampoo and bath soap. Use dish washing liquid from the health food store. 4. Do not use Birth Control Pills. Use a condom instead without spermicide. Do not use HRT. Use a triple antibiotic for stomach ulcers and gastritis instead of Tagamet. 5. Eat meat grown without hormones. Commercial lamb and fish usually are hormone free. 6. In general, the hormones taken orally are first pass metabolized by the liver 80%-90%. However, when these hormones are applied to the skin, the hormones are directly absorbed by the body. Thus, any skin dose is 10 times that of an oral dose. The vast majority of skin lotions and creams use the parabens as a preservative. Avoid them at all costs. Instead apply a vegetable oil right after a shower to hydrate the skin and lock in the moisture. 7. Avoid Coffee, Beer, Sunflower Seeds, Red Clover Tea, Camomille Tea. Avoid Sunflower seeds, Pomegranate, Licorice, Red Clover, Yucca, Hops (Beer) and Motherwort, Bloodroot, Ocotillo, Mandrake, Oregano, Damiana, Pennyroyal, Verbenna, Nutmeg, Tumeric, Yucca, Thyme, Calamus rt., Red Clover, Goldenseal, Licorice, Mistletoe, Cumin, Fennel, Camomille, Cloves, Queen Anne's lace (wild carrot), Fennel, Alfalfa Sprouts.

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

DeAnn, glad to see you here. You are so right about finding hope anywhere. I feel that doing all these things is so empowering. Cancer is not caused by just one thing, so it just seems logical that prevention or even cure isn't either. I do not feel that cancer is taking over my life by throwing the whole(istic) book at it. I want to beat cancer, not let it beat me. If that means going beyond main stream medicine, than what is wrong with that? I respect my doctors for getting me to a certain point, now it is up to me to get, and stay healthy. There is so much WE can do for ourselves that doctors do not have the time or inclination to prescribe. That is why we are all here. Let's continue to share what we have learned. As I keep saying, I do not want to be just a survivor, I want to be a thriver!  I hope we can continue to encourage others to join our little club in finding more natural means to good health.

Amber, the baking soda sounds like a great idea, but is the epsom salts safe?

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thought I would share this link in case anybody is interested!

http://radioforyourhealth.collectivex.com/post/natural-health-yak-health-the-new-wealth

Linda Joy Stone, M.S., L.Ac., Dipl. Ac., was trained in California and Beijing, China.  She has been practicing Chinese medicine and acupuncture for 20 years.  She practices at Southwest Integrative Healthcare, a multi-disciplinary clinic in Tucson, AZ, as well as at the University of Arizona Campus Health Services.  She practiced acupuncture at Canyon Ranch Health Resort for 6 years, where she developed "Acuphoria", an anti-stress protocol.  She is also a co-founder and faculty member of the Asian Institute of Medical Studies in Tucson that offers Masters degrees in acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2009
    Options

Smarter Living Could Cut World's Cancer Cases, Report Says February 27, 2009 (HealthDay News) -- A simpler diet, more exercise and better weight control could prevent more than 40 percent of breast and bowel cancers in developed countries, a World Cancer Research Fund report released Wednesday says.According to the report, almost a third of the 12 most common cancers in the United States, including throat and lung cancers, could be prevented by adopting lifestyle changes. It estimated that 45 percent of colon cancer cases and 38 percent of breast cancer cases were preventable by adopting the small changes. The figures do not, however, account for the impact of cigarette smoking, which is responsible for about a third of all cancers, BBC News reported.A panel of 23 experts made 48 recommendations for governments, households and schools to curb an expected uptick in cancer cases worldwide in the coming years. "The good news is that this is not inevitable," project chairman Dr. Martin Wiseman, a physician in clinical practice focusing on diabetes and a visiting professor in human nutrition at Southampton University, told the BBC.Among the panel's recommendations were for governments to plan more walking and cycling routes, and for schools, workplaces and institutions to cut unhealthy foods from vending machines. The food and drinks industry should make public health its top priority in all stages of production, and household shoppers should be more diligent in their purchases, carefully examining labels to ensure they are choosing the healthiest products.The report was published by the World Cancer Research Fund in conjunction with the American Institute for Cancer Research.

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

thanks Lisa,,,,,

it is undoubtably true, americans inculding me are out of shape and make poor food choices...It is convicting...I see a lot of sick people on many medications, many overweight, many making bad choices in life...smoking, alchohol and drug abuse....it is awful when I ponder the things I have seen....helps me to try harder and eat right and do good things.

I am so tired right now...pulled an exerting ER 4 hour shift....those 4 hours get me sometimes...It has been a tiring week.

I am still with the flax/cottage ch, but after I got off work, I went to BoJangles, and ordered supreme chicken.....wasn't going to eat the biscuit....but decided to taste it and ate half....stress tempted me....and i gave into the stress.

but I will eat good fruit if I need it later, and maybe yogurt with a little flax too.

hope everyone is well.

we have had warm 80 degree weather after the winter snow..then a little chilly today....march is like that in NC.

hugs to all

Amber

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited March 2009
    Options

simvog - very interesting - I just find the references to Tumeric confusing based upon other articles.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/32090.php

http://health.learninginfo.org/turmeric.htm

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi all...I'd love to join in here. I've been following this thread as I am interested in doing whatever I can, naturally, to keep BC from ever coming back. I was diagnosed in June 2008 at 46, did chemo (TC) and radiation. I was very healthy...didn't eat meat, exercised regularly, my weight is good, had 4 kids at a young age, nursed them all, no family history of BC and still got it. So now I'm bumping it up a notch. I saw an integrative doctor during chemo for some guidance. I was deficient in vit. D so I am now on 5000iu daily. I also now take probiotics, CoQ 10, fish oil, B complex, several amino acid/antioxidants and DIM(anyone else taking this?). I grind flaxseed for my cereal every morning. I also juice wheat grass. In addition to meat I have given up chicken, turkey and dairy. I get very little sugar or refined white flour in my diet as I was diagnosed with celiac disease the same week as breast cancer (can't have any wheat, rye or barley products). I'm sure this sounds dreadful but it really isn't. I try to eat kale, swiss chard, collard greens, broccoli, or some combination of those, etc...every day. I cook and bake with high protein flours such as bean flour, rice flour, millet flour and sorghum flour. If I'm short on time during the day I juice kale with carrots, half an apple and a little ginger so that I get more veggies in. It sounds so boring and labor intensive but it really isn't hard. I love to cook so I look at this as a challenge...how to cook, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free!!  My big weakness is dark chocolate but I try to keep it to a small piece. I was a regular red wine drinker but since I was diagnosed I have cut way back...maybe 2 glasses a week. I feel really good. I exercised throughout chemo and radiation which really helped me. I had reiki done to me during chemo. It made such a huge difference in side effects...horrible side effects after 1st treatment without reiki, last 3 had minimal side effects with reiki. It was so healing to me that I went on to get my reiki certification a couple of weeks ago. You can do it to yourself as well as to others. I highly recommend it if you have the opportunity to try it.

On turmeric...I also thought it was very beneficial for tumor suppression. I've been trying to make more meals with turmeric and curry in them for that reason. The following article mentions this along with the benefits of green tea, flax seed, etc...

http://www.usaweekend.com/05_issues/050918/050918breast_cancer.html 

Anyone use any good paraben-free face moisturizers. I've been trying to avoid anything with parabens in them and need to find a good face moisturizer.

Keep the good info. coming. 

Li 

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2009
    Options

Turmeric shows promise in fighting, preventing cancer and other ailments

By Frank Greve

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - Turmeric, the Asian spice that makes curry yellow, not to mention French's mustard and Hindu priests' robes, has yet another life: It's a promising potential weapon against several cancers, Alzheimer's, cystic fibrosis, psoriasis and other diseases.

"We know that it's an effective preventive at low doses," said Dr. Bharat Aggarwal, of the experimental therapeutics department at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. "The question is whether larger doses can be therapeutic" for disease sufferers.

At least a dozen clinical trials on humans are under way in the United States, Israel and England to test the safety and dosages of turmeric's main ingredient, curcumin. It's a hot topic in health journals, too, cited 967 times since 2000 in articles reported on PubMed, the National Library of Medicine's research service.

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options
    A Cancer Treatment in the Spice Cabinet?
    Researchers See Promise in Turmeric
    Article date: 2006/01/03

growing body of laboratory research suggests the spice turmeric has potent anticancer activity -- and researchers have launched a slew of human trials to find out just how powerful it may be.

"I think the promise is enormous," said Bharat Aggarwal, PhD, chief of the cytokine research laboratory in the department of experimental therapeutics at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Aggarwal has conducted numerous lab and animal studies of turmeric and its primary component, curcumin, and recently gave a lecture on the topic at the annual conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology.

Turmeric is a yellow powder made from the roots of a plant in the ginger family. It is the main ingredient in curry powder and is widely used in Indian and Southeast Asian cooking.

Many cultures also use turmeric for medicinal purposes, to treat everything from heartburn to arthritis. The idea to try turmeric against cancer developed as researchers learned about the role inflammation plays in cancer.

"Turmeric and curcumin are anti-inflammatory," Aggarwal said. "That has been described in traditional medicine like Ayurveda for thousands of years."

Lab and Animal Studies Show Effect on Many Cancers

The early lab research Aggarwal and others have done focuses on curcumin, the most active compound in turmeric. The studies show that curcumin can indeed slow inflammation. It also appears to slow the spread of cancer (metastasis), slow down the growth of new tumor blood vessels (angiogenesis), and cause cancer cells to die the way normal cells do (apoptosis).

What's more, these effects don't appear to be limited to just one type of cancer. Curcumin has shown effects in lab studies against metastatic melanoma, mantle cell lymphoma, and other cancers. Most recently, Aggarwal published a study in the journal Clinical Cancer Research showing that eating curcumin could keep breast cancer from spreading to the lungs Â- at least in mice. In addition, it appeared to enhance the positive effects of the chemotherapy drug paclitaxel and lessen the severity of its side effects.

However, not all research on curcumin has had such positive results. At least one laboratory study suggests curcumin may inhibit the action of other chemotherapy drugs, including camptothecin, mechlorethamine, doxorubicin, and cyclophosphamide. That's why it's so important to conduct well-designed studies in people of how curcumin affects different types of cancer.

At MD Anderson alone, Aggarwal said, doctors are testing curcumin in multiple myeloma and advanced pancreatic cancer. The institution is also seeking funding for a study of curcumin in women with breast cancer, he said. Studies from other institutions, both in the US and overseas, are looking at curcumin as a potential treatment for myelodysplastic syndromes, and for preventing colorectal cancer in individuals with familial adenomatous polyposis or with sporadic polyps. Curcumin is also being studied as a treatment for Alzheimer's disease and psoriasis.

• FloridaLady
    edited March 2009
    Options

I don't think the final word is out yet on this herb.  There are over 25 trials that have been going on for many years do show this is a very valuable herb. I no last year MDA was trying to figure out how to make it into a chemo form.

Flalady

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lili-welcome to the club. It sounds like you will have a lot of things to add.Besides parabens, here are some other things you should look for:

the word frangrance (which can hide a lot of additives, including phthalates),

PEG's, can contain carcinogen 1,4 dioxane,

propylene glycol, used as a humectant, basically antifreeze

diazolidinyl urea, can release formaldehye, in presercative germall

talc, similar to asbestos

petroleum products and mineral oil

DEA or diethanolamine

ethanolamine

TEA or triethoanolamine

sodium lauryl (or laureth)Sulfate-SLS foam building agent

In general, avoid anything that is unpronounceable

Now the dilemna is to find products that do not contain this stuff.

There is a natural cosmetics shop near me. They say that Talulah and Suki are good brands. They also said that most sunscreens have more cancer causing agents in them than the sun!

Last summer, I did a lot of biking in the sun. I did not use any sun screen, but I was taking a lot of vit E and omega 3. I never got a sun burn.

Now don't bet me started on what is in all the bug sprays! West Nile virus here I come.

Lisa and CP, thanks for the articles. It is always great to have reinforcement that we are on the right track.

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited March 2009
    Options

FloridaLady - yes, you sited the articles I remember reading about Tumeric and they all sound promising IMO.  I take it as one of my daily supplements for what its worth.

lili46 - someone posted this link on another post and you may find it helpful regarding cosmetics, moisturizers, shampoos, etc.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/findyoursunscreen.php?&sunscreens=1&&start=10&nothanks=1

• Lili46
    edited March 2009
    Options

Vivre...It's no wonder it takes me two hours to get through the grocery store. I have to read the labels to make sure nothing has wheat in it and now to make sure my cosmetics don't have any unpronouncable  fragrances and additives in them. Amazing that you didn't get any sunburn while biking without sunscreen. You did however get a good dose of vit. D. I'll be on the lookout for Talulha and Suki brand cosmetics. Thanks.

Li 

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

vivre, thanks for all those notes,,,,and the best advice, if I can't read or pronounce it, probably not safe...

I am using 100% pure shea butter, it is wonderful....just google it....it is a natural sunscreen too.

I was having problems locating it....but found the NOW brand,,,,,it was only 10$....

but pure 100% is what you want Lili...my skin feels so soft....I also am trying another brand, I'll get the jar later and let you know

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

oh lili, what is reiki?

Amber

• Lili46
    edited March 2009
    Options

Amber, reiki is  a method of natural healing. The reiki practitioner places her hands on you or hovers them over you in various positions. There is an energy transfer through the trained practitioner's hands to the client. You may feel warmth or tingling. It is a very relaxing and gentle treatment. Many health care professionals are integrating it into their practices. The hospital that I went to for chemo offered complimentary treatments during chemo. You are fully dressed during the treatment. It is non-invasive. It is very relaxing if nothing else but it truly made a huge difference to me during chemo. I had a reaction to the taxotere and the reiki practitioner continued with her treatment. The reaction subsided and I fell asleep for the rest of the treament. It was so helpful. Check it out if you ever get a chance.

Li 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2009
    Options

What does it heal?

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lili, that is great that Reiki helped you. I had the same feeling of peace with yoga. It really helped me heal emotionally, which was harder than the physical part for me. Every time I put my hands on my heart at the end of a yoga video and said Namaste (sp?) I could feel a little more of the anguish of bc subside. It is proof of the mind /body connection and how one cannot heal without the other.

Also, I think I mentioned this before, but will add it again here; I have switched to using grapeseed or almond oil now for my moisturizer. I just buy it at the grocery store. If feels great and my skin is really soft now. We need to go back to what our grandmothers did. They used everything from the kitchen .

FlaLady, thanks for the articles on tumeric. I added it to my supplements a while ago. It is always great to have our options reinforced.

• 07rescue
    07rescue Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2009
    Options

Reiki, therapeutic touch, and other hands on healing modalities very often help with the stress and anxiety related components of illness and treatment. Often they will significantly reduce cortisol, blood pressure, and pain scores, contributing to well being and comfort. Some propose that tissue healing may be speeded up with the promotion of circulation and the shift away from the fight or flight response. Endocrinology is still a science in it's infancy, we don't know all the effects that endocrine shifts have, either short or long term, on our bodies. 

I think it is very important to hear when people experience a treatment as healing, it leads the way to new discoveries. 

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thaks Lili and Vivre, I bet the almond oil is very luxurious....it is in alot of skin care procucts, where do you get yours?

I have been reading a book by Connie Hill, and her experience with breast cancer......amazing story, she experienced hands on healing......Her book is Called..."Lump to Laughter", she also has a website.

I am a chocolate lover....but Have read that milk chocolate is not good....today I went for the dark stuff,....Ghiardi 72% dark! WOA...it is delicious but after 2 squares, I have no desire for any more....milk chocolate never satisfied me until I ate a gob....sometimes a fourth bag of hersheys kisses....

Have any of you studied the dark chocolate in relation to breast cancer...?

It is rainy here....cold too...

Amber

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2009
    Options

I am a lurker and just read this because I am trying to become informed.  Thanks to everyone for posting.