Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options

Comments

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2009
    Options

That is like DDT...it was banned in the US and Canada, but for years Mexico was still spraying their crops with it and then the US imports their produce!  I think they have stopped using it now...but that is why it is so important to buy local!  And know what you are buying!

• lisasayers
    edited March 2009
    Options

bump

• hudsonrivergirl
    hudsonrivergirl Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have been following this thread with interest. Just a note about pesticides. My grandmother lived for 35 years on the Virginia/North Carolina border in the middle of orchard country in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. God's Country you might say. Anyway, she died of a very rare form of bladder cancer. She never smoked, she didn't drink and really her only vice was coffee. But their water was from a well and the doctors believed that it was the pesticides from the orchards leeching into the water supply that caused the cancer. Sobering thought.

So make sure to wash all of your fruit and vegetables very well--I actually use soap, just rinse well!! And try to buy local and organic whenever possible--although that isn't always so easy. 

Thanks for all of the great info here!

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

pinksurvival-I take Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega fish oil capsules for my Omega 3's. It has high concentrations of EPA and DHA and every batch is third-party tested for heavy metals, dioxins and PCBs.I don't think it tastes fishy like some do. I also grind flax seed and put it on my cereal every morning.

• AccidentalTourist
    AccidentalTourist Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hope I can join you on this thread.  I do combination of conventional and alternative and if I ever post anything which might sound negative please feel free to tell me off.  I never mean to be, but sometimes I am aware I can sound like devils advocate which I assure you is due to anxiety and confusion about conflicting information rather than sarcasm.

I use kelp, selenium, vitamin D, CQ10 and melatonin on daily basis (other supplements too but not as regularly).  I have to buy melatonin in the USA as in the UK it is prescription only.

Since diagnosis I eat dairy free diet (although today I ingested some milk powder in dark chocolate by accident).  My discipline with diet has somewhat slipped as the time since the treatment is passing (hence that chocolate) but for the most part I eat either vegetarian or if I eat meat I eat organic.

Regarding sauerkraut and cabbage I have read somewhere that Polish people have very low incidence of cancer and it is thought that it has to do with their high intake of these foods.  Apparently this advantage disappers once they move to the West.

I was not aware of the Chinese stomack cancer statistics but they have one of the lowest incidence of breast cancer in the world.

• amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2009
    Options

Vivre, I don't take magnesium, I have always wondered if chocolate cravings came from a defiency in magnesium. My serum iron dropped from 70 to 30 and my primary care doctor wants me to take an iron supplement....I had iron deficiency post radiation treatment and my onc put me on ferrous sulfate....I was leary of taking it then, because I had heard that cancer feeds on iron...but I did read that those with anemia make you more suseptible to recurrence. So it was a no win situation.....needless to say I am adding a multivitamin "One Source" sold at WalMart. I have found great reviews online about this vitamin...

But I slept well last night....first time in a while.

I seem to be able to feel a difference with the CoQ10 brand....and I hope CVS will take their brand back....I will probably have to exchange it....i didn't keep the receipt. But 30$ is a lot for something that doesn't seem to work.

Mandy, Lisa and hudsonrivergirl....i had never really thought about canned foods and heavy [pesticides....that is frightening. I have never really used many canned foods....only exception is greenbeans....they are hard to prepare fresh...and I have only done it a few times...I do love campbells chicken noodle soup though....I will check their label...the soup has been a staple since BC....if I have a cold or need a boost there is nothing like chcken noodle soup.

Accidnetal tourist, you are so welcomed on this thread. I use all the same as you, except selenium and kelp....but I have read a lot on those supplements....and everything is positive. I understand your milk chocolate slip.....me too....I have tried to switch to dark chocolate....but most dark chocolates are processed in a plant that will state processes milk products....but hopefully a little won't hurt.

I have never been a big milk product eater....never really liked the stuff....ice cream would be my favorite....but I don't really crave it....i was putting ground flax in a chocolate shake a while back.....but i stopped that as well. I am using cottage cheese and flaxoil mixed for the past 3 weeks about 5 times weekly....and I still haven't been  able to find the organic cottage cheese, though the health food store is thinking of putting it on their shelf.

hope everyone has a splendid day!

Amber

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2009
    Options

Wecome accidentaltourist to this thread and to this sections.  That chocolate thing gets us every time doesn't it?

Flalady

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited March 2009
    Options

Welcome to all the newcomers. It is always to get new input.

Mandy. There is a new grocery store near me that is huge. I went into it thinking it would be nice to have a new store nearby, but it was like stepping into Shanghai. EVERYTHING seemed to be from China(there are a lot of Asian immigrants in our area). I could not even read most of the labels as they were in Chinese, and what a weird assortment of fish and veggies. I spent an hour in there, and only bought a couple of pears. Needless to say, I will not be back. Now I really wonder if all that stuff is safe to even eat.

Amber-it sounds like you are feeling better! Hope you find the right mix of supplements to restore your energy. Maybe sleeping better will help.

That chocolate thing does get us every time. I read that if we do 80% healthy eating, that is still good. So I figure if I only do 5% of chocolate, and the rest is all good nutritious stuff, I am doing great! A girl has to have a little vice(said as I eat a little of my drug).

Accidental, don't worry if you have an opposing thought. It is good to hear what is being said on the other side of the pond. Maybe you can teach us a few new words too! I heard one of the princes say "gobsmacked" or something. What a funny word! What does that mean?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2009
    Options

I found you all!  wooooo!  Thanks Vivre and Lisa for the pointer.

I am going on Tamoxafin but want to learn too form here. I have changed a lot of things, foods, exercise, serenity and want more. 

I will read this whole thread and post later. I am glad to have found you!!!

Spring.

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2009
    Options

Welcome Springtime...love the name.  Spring new beginings right? Also of love your Scripture noted. Have you seen our healing thread?

Flalady

• hudsonrivergirl
    edited March 2009
    Options

Amber-try green beans this way--blanch them in boiling water for just a minute or two (until they turn bright green). Then drain them and throw them in a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and some cherry or grape tomatoes, just until the tomatoes heat up and start to burst a little. You can eat this hot or cold, it's delicious. The beans stay crunchy which is how I like them. If you serve this cold, you could dress it with a vinaigrette, which is also nice. And you can add whatever seasonings you like--lemon zest, garlic, herbs, whatever. You can also add some toasted pecans, walnuts, almonds for some crunch. Very adaptable, and also very easy. And it keeps for awhile in the fridge.

Also, some places, like Whole Foods, carry vegetables that are grown hydroponically. From what I understand, one of the benefits of this is no pesticides. And, since they are greenhouse grown, you can get good tomatoes in the winter that are local, not flown in from who knows where.

Eating is so very complicated nowadays...

• PT63
    PT63 Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hudsonriver

I do the same with my green beans but I blanch them with a little water in the frying pan, drain then add the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  I hate doing extra dishes!  I don't do the tomatoes, I tend to use mushrooms if I add something.  My kids won't eat tomatoes but I may try that when it is just me.

I do something similar to your green beens with asparagus.  Blanch, drain, then cool add vinegarette and chopped tomatoes.  Yummy

• hudsonrivergirl
    edited March 2009
    Options

PT63, good idea to add mushrooms, I'll try that. I don't do asparagus that often because my husband is on coumadin (he had TWO pulmonary emboli--long long story) so he has to stay away from vitamin K. Between us we have more food restrictions...crazy.

I find that if I keep a couple of prepared veg type dishes in the fridge, then I pick on them instead of eating junk. (as long as there isn't any junk in the house, that is!). Chocolate has never been a real issue for me--I'm more of a hard candy type. I went on a root beer barrel binge last week. 

HRG

• Springtime
    edited March 2009
    Options

FlaLady,

Would you copy in the link to the "Healing" thread here? (or give me a pointer?) Will check it out.

Yes! Spring and new beginnings! Woo hoo! I just finished all my treatmetns and have been almost stupidly happy. Chemo, surgery, rads. Now just the pill. I feel as if I am emerging from a dark tunnel and can feel the light on my skin. PTL!!

Spring.

• ejlj
    ejlj Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2009
    Options

anyone out there adding hemp seeds to there diet?  they are pretty tasty and have a good amount of omega-6 and omega-3's.

Just a funny note-At my last onc visit, the nurse preactioner handed me a piece of paper  stating the benefits of green tea and mushrooms in breast cancer.   I don't think up until this point nutrition has played a major role in their care , but everytime I go in, I'm always handing them some type of article stating the benefits of certain foods/supplements in cancer treatment.  I took the paper graciously and thanked her for it, but honestly it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.  I was just thrilled to see that it got their attention! 

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2009
    Options

Tina....

Did the article say how much green tea a day one should consume to have benefits?

• Springtime
    edited March 2009
    Options

I would like to know that about green tea as well. I have been drinking 4 tea bags worth a day. 2 caffinated, 2 decaf. I thought I had ready you needed quite a lot to get the benefit?

• ejlj
    edited March 2009
    Options

I left the article (very small) at work but once I get my hands on it again or if I find it online I will post it.  I also take a green tea supplement daily.  I'm drinking a cup of tea right now and getting dinner prepared and adding those mushrooms as well!  Tina

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

I've read in a Dr.Weis magazine that you have to drink 6 cups a day! I hope Tina's article says less...lol

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

Tina..these mushrooms are they shitake or any mushroom. I especially like crimini or portabello. Which ones did they specify?

• lisasayers
    edited March 2009
    Options

5-6 cups of green tea seems to be the average recommended.  I also know they recommend getting the loose tea and brewing it yourself, rather than tea bags. 

Everything I have read about mushrooms always mentions shitake and maitake....but I'll eat them all!  Love them!

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thanks Lisa! Smile

Yes.... all mushrooms are great but there are some funny ones out there.lol. My husband is fussy with them...so I grind them up and hide them in sauces or veggi lasagna.

In the warmer months I usually make a"green tea ice tea" but no sugar added. I use that sweetened nectar. I usually put 6 green tea in a glass juice pitcher and add hot water and let it seep. Dr. Weis also said that adding fresh lemon juice to green tea INCREASES the antioxidant power. I'm not sure about this..but I only add it for my ice tea

• ejlj
    edited March 2009
    Options

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7947620.stm

All right, after a little searching on line, I found it!  Really just a little blip of information, but again confirming what a lot of us already believe.  Lisa, Are you able to find miatakes easily?  They're really hard to find around here (Mass).

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thanks Tina....

I've also noticed certain mushrooms are definatly more $$ than others the miatakes are more pricy here too Western Canada

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thanks for all the advice on the green beans. I love them, and usually just blanche and then toss them with my homemade vinegarette. Sauteing sounds interesting. I love mushrooms too, but can't hide them in anything. My husband even hates the smell, so I just saute them up and eat the whole dish myself. After sauteing the mushrooms, I sometimes add a couple of beaten eggs on top and pop in the oven for a quick fritatta. You can also add green peppers and onions, or anything you like.

ejil-looks like you have your doc thinking out of the box. Way to go! Maybe they will get even bolder and start to spread the word.

Springtime-FREE AT LAST! I remember so well how wonderful it felt to walk out of that dark tunnel. Each day just gets better and better from here on out.

Just made myself some green tea. I love the stuff, although it took a while because I always drank regular tea. I like to mix tea flavors all the time so I do not get bored. I find if I drink a cup before a meal, it curbs the appetite, and for those of you still trying, it has been proven to promote weight loss too. If you drink tea straight for a couple of weeks, you will not miss the sweetener. It is so much better that way.

Good to see so many more here going "au naturel".

• ejlj
    edited March 2009
    Options

haven't been able to drink it straight up yet, but have been able to eliminate the milk (black tea).  I've switched from using white sugar to agave sweetner.  Tastes good, and doesn't spike your blood sugar as does the sugars.  I'm trying to get used to stevia, but i just don't care for the taste.  I got all my chemo nurse hooked on the agave as well!  Tina

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi all...The green bean recipe sounds delicious. I just made a yummy saute of onions, garlic, chopped shitake mushrooms, slivered sundried tomatoes and spinach. Sauteed it in olive oil and put over brown rice. The sundried tomatoes were key.

My integrative doctor has me eating one brazil nut daily for selenium. Apparently brazil nuts are very high in selenium. 

• ejlj
    edited March 2009
    Options

yum!!!!

• lexislove
    edited March 2009
    Options

Yummy...nuts.

I make a good Baklava and load it with crushed almonds,walnuts,and brazillian nuts. I use the agave nectar to sweeten in stead of the "white sugar".

I do have to buy the phillo dough though...and of course it is made of white flour. But we are all in need of a treat now and then...Wink

• crazy4carrots
    crazy4carrots Member Posts: 624
    edited March 2009
    Options

Just have to add my veggie recipe, made tonight:

Fresh asparagus, sliced on the diagonal, sauteed in olive oil, with sliced shallots and cremini mushrooms -- seasalt and freshly ground black pepper.  it was so-o-o-o-o good!

Linda