Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options

Comments

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2009
    Options

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/79/topic/730137?page=2#idx_58

I hope this works Springtime. If not I bump it up for you. Thread under Alternative - Scriptures that spoke healing too you.  I think you will love it!'

Flalady

• PT63
    PT63 Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lili

Yummy saute.  I never would have thought to add sundried tomatoes.  Gotta try it.

• amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2009
    Options

Oh well I was typing in my post and hit the back space by accident and went to my home page, then came back to post and start all over and there was a whole other page added.

Thanks hudsonrivergirl for the green bean tips....sounds delicious...and all the other advise on mushrooms and green tea,

vivre, I am like you with those mushrooms...i get the whole dish with pleasure I have to admit.....no one in my house touches them...but that being said I don't purchase them too often because I am the only one eating them...

I love green tea and was wondering what brands everyone likes. ..I found some last weekend at Target, called TAZO...ZEN-GREEN TEA-THE VERT a harmonious blend with lemongrass and spearmint...  it is pretty good.

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

thanks pink survival, i have wondered about the difference

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2009
    Options

ejlj I am able to find the mushrooms at our local Wegman's.  But if nothing else, you can get a mushroom supplement. 

I love my green tea...also buy that in bulk from Wegman's and it is organic.  My favorite is Jasmine Pearl.  I get green tea in my natural energy drink as well, and I get that in pomengranate or citrus flavor.

Yes!  I eat 3 organic brazil nuts every day.  That is what Dr. Christine Horner recommends in her book Waking the Warrior Goddess.  I follow most of her recommendations.

• AccidentalTourist
    AccidentalTourist Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi all and thank you for being so welcoming.

Vivre, 'gobsmacked' means being stunned in surprise.

Lisa would you mind telling us  more about Dr Horner's book.  Is she also a survivor?

Incidentally Jane Plant in her book 'Your life in your hands' recommends chinese food.  Also while she is usually recommending taking nutrients through food in the case of selenium she recommends supplements rather than brazil nuts.  Something to do with them being radioactive (I kid you not).  I have lent that book to someone otherwise I would have quoted her exact words.

• lisasayers
    edited March 2009
    Options

Dr. Horner's book is about harnessing the power of nature and natural medicines to achieve extraordienary health.  Her mother died from breast cancer and she is the doctor who spearheaded the national campaign to pass laws requiring insurance companies to pay for breast reconstruction following mastectomy.  Thanks to her, laws were passed in 35 states and a federal bill was signed in 1998.

Here is her website

http://www.drchristinehorner.com/

I'm curious to hear about brazil nuts being radioactive????

• lisasayers
    edited March 2009
    Options

Interesting, this is what I found on Brazil nuts

"The Brazil nut tree absorbs radium from the soil and concentrates it in the meat of the nut. Research into the radiation risks of consuming the nuts is scarce. A report published in the journal Health Physics in 1968 noted the high level of radioactivity, concluding that "it is to be expected that individuals who regularly eat Brazil nuts for many years will eventually build up elevated radium body burdens." The Food and Drug Administration has no recommendation on Brazil nut consumption other than warning of a possible allergic reaction, as with other nuts. "

• AccidentalTourist
    edited March 2009
    Options

As I said I don't have the book to hand but this is what I remember.  Jane Plant (who is a five times bc survivor) is a geologist and was eating brazil nuts for selenium.  One of her colleagues told her not eat them because of their radioactivity.  She was sceptical and he suggested she measure this.  She did and was 'gobsmacked' at the amount of radioactivity measured.  Since then she recommends taking selenium supplements instead.  I do still eat brazil nuts but not as much as I used to.

I just googled brazil nuts and radioactivity and came across this sentence:

Brazil nuts contain some of the highest levels of natural radioactivity, in particular radium-226 (226Ra) and radium-228 (228Ra). The consumption of a 100g bag (about 30-40 nuts) per week throughout the year would give rise to an annual dose of 0.2 mSv.

• lisasayers
    edited March 2009
    Options

I'm eating about 14 a week...so from what I've read, I'm okay with that.  Bananas also have radium!  Go figure!

• hudsonrivergirl
    hudsonrivergirl Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2009
    Options

lexislove, I'm with you on the iced green tea. I usually use Celestial Seasonings Green Tea with Jasmine. I love the scent--reminds me of the very fancy old-time Chinese restaurant that I used to go to with my grandmother...they would always bring the tea to the table first. We always felt like such grown-ups with our little tea cups!

I did read that you shouldn't steep green tea too long because apparently you lose some of the antioxidant benefit (and it gets bitter). I think about 2 minutes is sufficient. It's much more delicate than black tea.

HRG

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited March 2009
    Options

Accidental-I love Jane Plant's books too. I have her second book here "The No Dairy Breast Cancer Prevention Program". This is what she says about nuts on page 167:

"Another good protein source is nuts. I eat lots of nuts (but never preshelled because they quickly become rancid.) I avoid uncooked peanuts and other groundnuts because they are sometimes naturally contaminated with micorganisms that produce cancer causing chemicals known as aflaxtoxins. I boil or toast all ground nuts before eating and they taste delicious. I avoid brazil nuts, which contain elevated levels of the radioactive substance radium 226. When one of my colleagues told me this because he was concerned that I was eating so many brazil nuts, I did not believe him. After leaving some of the nuts I had been eating in our detector overnight, I did!"

I was really surprised about the nuts. Does that mean I am gobsmacked! LOL!

For those of  you not familiar with Dr. Plant. She is a bc survivor, who as a geologist, decided to heavily research her recurrent tumors. When she linked her bc to her diet and heavy consumption of dairy, her tumors disappeared. She also extolls the benefits of green tea, as an antioxidant, and that it contains less caffeine than black tea. I too read that green tea should only be brewed for 2 minutes, white tea and oolong for 3 minutes and black tea for 4-5 minutes. What do you English girls have to say about that?

Dr Plant also recommends 50-200mcg of selenium. She has a long essay on why she thinks we need to supplement, but don't ask me to type it! I must add that I was taking 200 for a while but cut back to half of that because when I sweated I really had terrible BO! I thought someone left some old food in the car, and I realized it was me! I know it was the selenium because it smelled like the bottle.

• amberyba
    edited March 2009
    Options

thanks vivre and accidentaltourist, Dr. Plant is on my list of good reads and research.

I am doing the flaxoil/cottage cheese....and it is a dairy....does Dr. Plant say anything about this in her bood? or does she recommend organic dairy at all?

• mizbabygirl4
    mizbabygirl4 Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2009
    Options

This is a great thread! So glad I happened upon it.

I just ordered Dr Plant's book: Your life is in your hands, based on the comments here. Reviews of that book, and her nondairy one, indicated that she was able to shrink a tumor dramatically (maybe entirely, it wasn't clear) by eliminating all dairy from her diet. But I'd be curious to know what she thinks about organic dairy, too. 

I know I eat entirely too much dairy, so I'm hoping the book will motivate me to cut down or cut it out.

Janet

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2009
    Options

Morning all! I have a bit to add about green tea - it's out of a book Foods That fight Cancer by Richard Beliveau, a Canadian researcher - & I'm going to STIR the POT a bit!

one-third of the weight of a tea leaf is a  polyphenol compound called flavanols, commonly called catechins. These are the anti-cancer heavyweights in green tea. Catechins have antifungal & antibacterial properties that allow the plant to successfully resist invasion by pathogens. The star of these catechins is EGCG - epigallocatechin gallate. (are you asleep yet?)

The catechin content varies greatly, much as goood wine depends on soil, climate, etc. Beliveau analysed many green teas & found that as a rule Japanese green teas contain far more EGCG than chinese. Steeping less than 5 minutes gave only 20% of the catechin extraction that steeping for 8-10 minutes gives.

The summary was to maximize effects, use loose leaf japanese green tea (very $$ as I found out), steep 8-10 min., drink it freshly brewed avoiding thermoses etc., and space out your "3 daily cuppas". 

EGCG seems to work best against bladder & prostate cancers. but some studies point to how EGCG blocks angiogenesis - the formation of new blood vessels to feed tumors, including bc.

So it's not the quantity of tea, but its quality that's most important. 

Sorry for my free-wheelin & long summary of this chapter, and the fact that it might dampen people's enthusiasm over drinking green tea - but as my doctor said, it's gotta be loose, high-quality, and steeped till it's bitter!  And I found I didn't like it that way one bit!

The book has a graph showing the names of the teas with the most catechins. I found organic green tea Sencha Fuji at the health food store & a weensy bag was $6.30.

I'm sorry to add that having read this chapter, I realized green tea in bags - as in all teabags, black or green - is the powdery stuff that's lowest in quality at the bottom of the teleaf hierarchy. Not that I'm a tea-drinker snob - I drink black Salada tea in bags like everyone else because I love it - but thought that for the green tea it might be worth going the expensive loose-tea Japanese route.

• mizbabygirl4
    edited March 2009
    Options

Green tea in Japan is VERY different from the green tea we drink here in North America. For one thing, it is very very GREEN, not the watery tea we call green. For another, Japanese drink a LOT. I'm not surprised it is pricey, but after having the real thing, I don't really enjoy the bagged tea anymore. (In Japan it is typically a thick powder that gets thoroughly mixed into the liquid.)

Janet

• lisasayers
    edited March 2009
    Options

Yes...green tea from Japan is better than the green tea from china!

• PT63
    PT63 Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2009
    Options

Lisa

You made a funny.... I wouldn't trade_________ for all the green tea in china!

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

Souad, it is okay to "stir the pot" here. Just do not let it boil over!

Lots of great info on tea. I will have to start looking for the japanese kind. I do use a lot of loose leaf, from a shoppe near me that makes wonderful blends. They even have one that tastes like chocolate.

Amber-I think Jane Plant believes that we need to eliminate dairy completely. That is why I never got into the cottage cheese and flax thing. She believes her cancer was driven by all the yogurt she was eating. For anyone who has not read her books. I think that The NoDairy Prevention Program is better than Your Life IN your Hands because they both tell her thesis, but the second one is more specific about what to eat. However, they are both great books and really got me on the path to becoming a natural girl. I never thought I would be able to cut out dairy, but  I do not miss it. I now use organic rice drink on my cereal and if I do eat cheese, I make sure it is usually imported, because the EU has stricter rules about adding the hormones, or I buy it in the markets here in the summer when we have some organic farmers selling. Can't wait for those markets!

• AccidentalTourist
    edited March 2009
    Options

I think it is great to read everyone's input on this thread.  I don't mind at all if it contradicts what I know (so far) as it only spurs me to find out more.  I have mentioned Dr Plant's book so many times I would not be surprised if anyone thought that I am profiting from its sale (I wish).  What made it different for me is that she is a five times survivor.  The first four times she did everything medical and believed she was eating a healthy diet.  Only when she got mets and was basically told that she does not have long to live (I think they gave her three months) did she sit down with her husband who is also a scientist and research what else she could do. Having said that I don't do everything she recommends.  I think one has to be scared even more than I was/am to be so disciplined but I cannot believe that some of the things she has discovered are not common knowledge.  Why are doctors so resistant (and/or threatened) to finding out more about alternative things which may help relapse prevention?

Janet I love your avatar.  I am also confused by incompatibility of Dr Budwig and Dr Plant's diets.  Before I read 'Your life in your hands' I was also eating flaxseed and cottage cheese but have now given that up. I wish they would investigate this stuff so that we can base our decisions on researched outcomes.

Vivre I have lived in the UK for 23 years but come from Europe so tea drinking was never my forte.  I do drink green tea but more because I think I ought to than because I like it.  I have recently discovered 'red bush tea' otherwise known as rooibos.  I like its taste and they say it is very high in antioxidants.  I hope it is not contraindicated for bc.

I did not know about the new book.  Judging by your latest comment it seems different enough to warrant buying.  Anyhow I keep lending my copy of Your life in your hands to my friends and was thinking of buying another copy.  I shall get the new book instead.

• Annaswe
    Annaswe Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2009
    Options

souad, I got almost the same information aboat green tea in the book "Anti cancer"

Anna

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2009
    Options

I read that you should steep green tea for 5-10 minutes and then drink it within an hour or two. The effects ware off after that (ref Iced green tea). I got this from that "Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life" book...

Loose tea, no bags. sigh. sigh!!!

Spring.

• hudsonrivergirl
    hudsonrivergirl Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2009
    Options

Great info on green tea. I actually love the flavor, and I'm happy to know some more details about it. Does anyone know if Matcha tea powder is better? It's Japanese, very expensive ground tea powder. They often use it as a flavoring--green tea ice cream, drinks etc. But you can make tea from it and it dissolves completely in the water. You are actually ingesting the whole leave instead of just a brew made from the leaf. I'm wondering if that is better. They usually sell a little bamboo whisk and a special bowl which is used in the tea ceremony.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on that. I've found a couple of websites, but they seem to be mostly selling the powder so it's hard to know if it is legit info, or just marketing. 

HRG

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hudson, I don't know about that powder... Now I am thinking of trying to find loose green tea, you know, not in bags! Great tips here.

• mizbabygirl4
    edited March 2009
    Options

Yes, the matcha tea is the powder I was referring to. According to one source, it is a lot more potent, in terms of polyphenols and antioxidants, than regular tea.

Janet 

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2009
    Options

Is that what it's really called...Matchea tea powder? I've never heard of it. I'm interested in trying it.

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited March 2009
    Options

I've decided my next interlibrary loan request is going to be Jane Plant's book.  I drink a lot of milk.  I also do a modified version of budwig -- yogurt, ground flaxseed, flaxseed oil, and honey or agave nector to sweeten a bit.  I tried it with cottage cheese and really didn't like it.  blech 

I managed to give up milk for 5 days last summer while I did a liver/gall bladder detox.  ...and afterwards I had the biggest craving for pizza.  I made the mistake of eating pizza too soon after the detox and it wasn't pretty.  But then I kept craving pizza and discovered that for the first time since chemo (over 3 years at the time) I could eat pizza without getting heartburn. 

So I dont' know if I'll ever give up yogurt or pizza completely, but I really think I need to get away from drinking milk.   Do y'all think Jane Plant will convince me to give up milk? 

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2009
    Options

Just got the Anti-Cancer book from library interloan and love reading it. thanks to all who mentioned it on this & other threads....I notice the author has some stuff on Richard Beliveau's work (haven't got that far in the book yet). Beliveau is the one who wrote Cooking with Foods that Fight Cancer, which is where I was getting my green tea info from.....so, they seem to be on the same wave-length..interesting about the japanese powdered tea...interesting posts we're onto a good thing here!  gotta go find candles it's nearly earth hour..........goodnight.

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2009
    Options

I just pop over to Jane Plant website and found this on her main page.

When I read all the anti-soya publicity, the cynic in me has to laugh. It's utter nonsense to say that soya is going to cause problems because it's oestrogenic - scientific nonsense! There are three points to make here:

1:The Chinese have virtually lived on soya in the past and they had next to no breast or prostate cancer. When I've been in China, I've spoken to doctors who have never seen a case of either.

2:The phytoestrogens in soya are between 1/500th and 1/1000th the strength of human oestrogen. They are thought to lock onto receptors in breast or prostate tissue and protect them from animal oestrogen in the way Tamoxifen does - but without the side effects.

3:Most plants contain phytoestrogens, so the idea that these are dangerous is ludicrous. Recent research shows that the main pathway of animal oestrogens in the diet is from dairy. That is far more significant than soya. In The Plant Programme, the book I wrote with Jill Tidey, we explain that the typical healthy Japanese diet is based on 30 separate ingredients a day, not just soya. So use it to replace dairy and if you're allergic, try rice, pea or oat milk.

• vivre
    edited March 2009
    Options

FlaLady, I still think we need to worry about soy because it is sprayed so heavily. Since the soybean has so much surface area, it may be absorbing a lot of toxins, and perhaps therein lies the problem. Nonetheless, do you think that maybe I do not have to worry so much then about the soy lecithin in my chocalate?LOL

Althea-I have to say since I gave up diary, I never get heartburn anymore. It is amazing how much better my whole digestive system works. I take a probiotic every eve. so I think that is helping too. I never thought I could get use to not using milk, but now that I have been using the organic rice drink on my cereal, in smoothies, etc. I actually prefer it. They make a vanilla flavor too that really tastes good. I would recommend both of Jane Plant's books, but if you are going to buy one, The No Dairy BC Prevention Program is really chock full of great information. I got it for about $5 at a clearance book store. I bet you can find it really cheap at the Borders site too.