Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

natural girls

Options

Comments

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited March 2009
    Options

ejlj...you gotta live a little!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Glad you enjoyed it and yes the almonds were wonderful for you!

• D-Ann
    D-Ann Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2009
    Options

vivre - The refined coconut oil, labeled for med-high heat, doesn't have any taste or flavor!  It's one of the things I like about it, as I'm not fond of the coconut fragrance and taste, myself.  It's also harder to locate the Spectrum brand coconut oil that is for low heat and is, I'm thinking, unrefined.  That's a guess, as I haven't had any of it to look at for about a year.  Here're some links I found with some extremely interesting facts about coconut oil, palm oil (surprised me!), and about the American publicity campaign that changed our thinking about saturated fats.  It's all rather eye-opening!

http://www.coconutoil.com/health_benefits_virgin_coconut_oil.htm

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

And from another website:

Coconut In Modern Medicine

Modern medical science is now confirming the use of coconut in treating many of the above conditions. Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits. Some of these are summarized below:

• Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.

• Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.

• Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.

• Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.

• Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.

• Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.

• Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

• Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.

• Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.

• Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.

• Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.

• Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.

• Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.

• Helps protect against osteoporosis.

• Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.

• Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.

• Improves digestion and bowel function.

• Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.

• Reduces inflammation.

• Supports tissue healing and repair.

• Supports and aids immune system function.

• Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.

• Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.

• Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.

• Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.

• Functions as a protective antioxidant.

• Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.

• Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do.

• Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.

• Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.

• Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).

• Reduces epileptic seizures.

• Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.

• Dissolves kidney stones.

• Helps prevent liver disease.

• Is lower in calories than all other fats.

• Supports thyroid function.

• Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.

• Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.

• Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.

• Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.

• Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.

• Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.

• Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.

• Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.

• Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.

• Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun.

• Helps control dandruff.

• Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.

• Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.

• Is completely non-toxic to humans.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

The more I read, the more I like this stuff!  I have had psoriasis for decades, and the fact that it is disappearing (without medical treatment) has something to do with the increase in my use, since I'm only cooking for myself these days. *g*

The first link is fascinating reading, but all three links are incredibly informative.  Enjoy!

• D-Ann
    D-Ann Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2009
    Options

ejlj - I figure, if we are eating the good stuff all the time, then the occasional infraction is of no serious consequence.  Presumably, our bodies are better able to handle the 'bad stuff' better and faster, as long as we aren't doing it all the time.  The idea for eating 'properly' is to make our bodies better able to handle the challenges imposed by our environment and the things in our diet over which we have little or no control.  That includes the infrequent treat.

So, as far as I'm concerned, guilt is not an issue, as long as the stuff that causes harm is not the standard of primary consumption!  Unless, of course, you enjoy the guilt, too!   LOL

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited March 2009
    Options

i love coconut.  that is so good to know.

(will someone please pass me an almond joy?

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited March 2009
    Options

I just ate a snickers -- but it was a dark chocolate one!  lol 

Thanks for the info in the cocnut oil  I found a jar last month at the grocery and purchased it because I had a library book with a recipe I wanted to try that called for it.  What an impressive list of benefits!  

One thing I do as part of my self-care regimen is an ancient indian practice called abyangha.  Basically, it's a self massage from head to toe and I use sesame oil. My scar tissue still itches after all this time, and I find the oil soothing for that purpose.  I also stick with it in hopes that it will prevent me from ever getting a lymphedema problem.  Mainly, though, I keep at it because it's so luxuriously self indulgent and good for me at the same time.  I'll just have to give it a whirl using coconut oil.  I also know someone with psoriasis.  I'll definitely forward the information.  If it works, that would be great.  If it doesn't, no harm done.  

...now I'm craving the vegan macaroon cookies I made from a recipe I found last summer.  I wonder if I wrote it down.  

• amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2009
    Options

D-Ann,, thanks for sharing,,,,I am going to click the links you put in...but that is fascinating....

I have exzema/psoriasis on my scalp...you mentioned it has helped your psoriasis....is that just from oral intake or do you apply it topically?

Does coconut have the same benefit as the oil?

Well off to do the searching.

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited March 2009
    Options

Maybe we should all audition for the next installment of Survivor. After all, they always seem to have lots of coconuts! We could call our tribe, the nococonuts. All those twenty somethings on Survivor with their petty differences have nothing on real survivors like us!

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2009
    Options

Or how about the NOCONUTS? Tongue out Thanks so much, D-Ann and Apple for your informative and interesting posts on oils & frying..

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I love coconuts also, if it does all that maybe it will make me look younger.  My onc is ordering me an MRI on my pancreas because of a small cyst which on the last MRI says it was regressing.  Is the same coconut oil good externally as well as internally.  I also have to follow a high fiber diet due to anal fissures, but it seems you have to consume alot to get the daily requirement of fiber, 24 to 38 grams a day.  I'm trying to loose weight.  I'm wondering if the tablets for fiber are all natural.  I'll have to read my labels more often.  I'm glad I found this thread, I plan to have a garden this year and will plant lots of green veggies, herbs and hope my resident rabbit(s) don't eat it all.  Any natural ways to keep them at bay?  I know, at night I will go out and mark MY territory, LOL.Kiss
  • flannelette
    edited April 2009
    Options

bump...

• vivre
    edited April 2009
    Options

I am thinking about combining the coconut oil and the grapeseed oil with a little essential oil for scent. The coconut oil is so solid and the grapeseed is too liquid, so maybe this would be a happy medium. I will let you all know how it works.

Let's start talking food. What is your favorite healthy lunch? Here is mine;

mash one avocado with some pico de gallo or salsa. Put it on a bed of spinach. Chop and mix. Yum!

One of my favorite snacks-If you have a traders Joes near you, they package up nuts and raisens in little serving packs. I toss a couple in my purse if I am going to be out all day to tide me over if I get hungry. That way, I do not ravenously eat something quick and unhealthy when I get home.

• lisasayers
    edited April 2009
    Options

Oh Vivre I eat that too!!!!!!!  LOVE it!  One of my other favorites lunches, which I ate all through chemo, (and don't laugh).  Sandwich made with Ezekiel toast loaded with sliced sweet onion, brocco sprouts, sliced tomato, fresh spincah, sliced avacado, banana peppers, cucumber, green pepper, dill pickle slices and mustard! 

In fact, I'm having that today!!!!!!!!!!! 

• anondenet
    anondenet Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2009
    Options

Wow, I'm learning so much from you guys!

You are so creative and knowlegeable. Thank you for all the specifics on sources, brands and combos.

I think I'll drop over for lunch :)

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2009
    Options

Boy you girls make me feel guilty with my lunch....

I'm having are hard time with diet right now and I know it due to stress because of my IBC is back and very aggressive and they (medical industry at large)  don't know what to do next.  I'll find out something hopefully tomorrow....

I think I may start a confession thread for my bad days...so every time I cheat I will have to post it...maybe that will motivate me again :)

Flalady

• Twa
    Twa Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2009
    Options
  • Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited April 2009
    Options

I just ate my one square of dark choc ! (no almonds, but those are good!)

• flannelette
    edited April 2009
    Options

Flalady - I'm so sorry to hear that circumstances right now are tough. so please don't feel guilty about anything you eat! Hopefully, none of us are here to judge you. We all need comfort food. and you have been so inspiring to me with your many posts on different threads - ((HUGS)) AND THANKS to you today.

• pinkhd
    pinkhd Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2009
    Options

I am currently going through chemotherapy at the Cancer Treatment Center of America.  I also get acupuncture, nutritional review, foot relexology, and naturopathic medicine.  I had broken out my juicer too, but my acupuncturist said that in my case I had a lot of 'heat' and the raw foods can worsen the condition while on chemotherapy.  He recommended instead that I eat root stew while on chemotherapy.  The dietician recommends whey which I love.  To compromise I will use a small amount of celery and spinach juice to add to my fiber and whey smoothie.  I got everything to make the root stew but ran out of energy to make it.  Since I am back for treatment I have been able to eat many root veggies her at the center.

I am not sure how much longer I will stay on chemo. I like this thread.  The food issue must be involved in the cause of cancer.  I plan to look for some local farmers with organic meats and veggie.  Check out realmilk.com to  find some interesting farmers.

pinkhd

• pinkhd
    pinkhd Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2009
    Options

My favorite bread is Ezekial bread too.  But I found out I can only have 2 slices per day since I have estrogen positive breast cancer.  This bread has soy in it.

• AccidentalTourist
    AccidentalTourist Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2009
    Options

My favorite lunch is this soup: Chop one onion roughly and gently sweat in olive oil, add 3 leeks and three potatos (also roughtly chopped).  Add 1 1/2 litres stock (organic chicken or vegetable stock cube) and boil until potatos are done.  That could be it although I like to add celery sticks and different green vegebables such as broccoli, spinach or watercress (my favourite).  In the end puree with one of those stick shaped mixers (well worth investing in because it minimises washing up).  Even my most carnivorous family members and friends love this and as you can see it is quite healthy and quick to make.

PS I will be in NYC for several days as tourist.  I'd be grateful if anyone has any advice on eating healthy during that time.  We will be staying on Upper West side.

• flannelette
    edited April 2009
    Options

The wild and windy March once more
    Has shut his gates of sleet,
    And given us back the April-time,
    So fickle and so sweet.

–Alice Cary (182071)

Accidedntal Tourist - I make & love the very same soup - ever garnish it with chives/green onion to be fancy? yum

amberyma - do you drink milk? I had a friend who had psoriasis/excema and it stopped when she stopped drinking milk.

vivre - do you use lavender essential oil in your skin oils? it has some anti-cancer properties, I've read, will dig that up in my books. also, for me it stops cold sores if i put on one drop, neat, a few times a day. and a very good cleaner if you put a few drops on a rag. Deodorizes the rug when mixed with baking soda and sprinkle on then vacuumed, and of course, a few drops in your bath.love it.

Flalady - I hope things go well for you today. I am thinking of you and wishing you the best.

and thanks to all who have inspired me with their delish recipes.

yesterday had eggs, spinach, mushrooms, turmeric & black pepper, sauteed in olive oil, and it kept me going all afternoon. now trying to cook with 1/4 tsp turmeric in some meal every day.

bit by bit.....flaxseed, cruciferous, berries. the dark chocolate part is very easy LOL

• vivre
    edited April 2009
    Options

FlaLady-My thoughts and prayers are all with you today. You have helped so many of us in so many ways. I hope that you will now let us pay you back a bit by helping you. So please come here and vent! Say whatever you want, because it is good to release any toxic energy. But keep eating healthily! You more than any of us, know how much it has helped you so stay on the bandwagon with us! You are the driver of my bus and we need you to keep our engine running! How about we all give FlaLady some more ideas for nutitious eating?

HUGS HUGS HUGS to you!

Souad, loved the little poem! Yes I do like lavender oil and I grow lots of lavender in my garden. I had a big border of it in my old house, and I am working to get another border established here. I love the smell. Reminds me of Provence and it always makes me smile. I did not realize it had antioxident powers. Now I like it even more. And the spinach, mushroom, eggs saute has always been one of my favorite meals.

Pink-welcome to the good eating and good living thread. I hope you enjoy it here.

FlaLady-how about having a big bowl of sauteed mushrooms, with onion and garlic today? I can eat a whole pan of this stuff all by myself. I also like to dip carrots and celery in the avocado and salsa mash that I am addicted too. Traders joes has little squash seeds called pepitas that are a great snack, or sprinkled on a salad.

• vivre
    edited April 2009
    Options

Sorry accidental-Never been to NYC and have no desire to ever do so. Hope you have a great trip!

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2009
    Options

Accidentaltourist, NYC is full of ethnic neighborhoods, and you can find wonderful healthy foods there. I'm not as familiar with the Upper West Side, since I haven't spent much time eating there in the last couple of decades...we head there to visit museums, but tend to head downtown to eat.  If you travel downtown, Canal Street is the dividing line on Mott St between Chinatown on one side of Canal, and Little Italy on the other.  There is some good eating there!

• AccidentalTourist
    AccidentalTourist Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2009
    Options

Thank you PatMom I will check those areas out.  I was hoping to learn about farmer's markets, organic shops etc if anyone has any recommendations.  I am only staying for six days and am bound to eat things that are not good for me but I figured if I try I could have at least part of the day eating healthy.

Flalady thinking of you and sending you all good wishes.

Vivre, just curious why don't you ever want to go to NYC.  Feel free not to answer if you would rather not.

• lisasayers
    edited April 2009
    Options

I LOVE NYC!!!!!!  Can't wait to go back.  We were there a year ago and loved it!

• amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2009
    Options

you ladies cheer my spirit.

FlaLady, I understand...I was diagnosed last year....when I was the tiredess and weakest at the end of rads, anemic....i just didn't really care what i ate.....I had went off of some of my supplements due to rads....and i had very little energy.....are you supplementing with CoQ10, if so how much? I took 400mg last year after the excisional biopsy.....until the next surgery...and they could find only 2.5mm cribiform low grade idc (i think i remember correctly)....whish surprised me because the surgeon told me that the first biopsy lump that the cancer went to the edges of the tissue.......I have read that Dr. Folkers used CoQ10 with breast cancer that was still present after trad treatment....2 of his patients increased their dose to 390mg and the residual cancer and metastasis receded and vanished....all the other patients took 90mg daily, and reported increased well being, less need for pain meds etc.. I wil pray for the Lord to strengthen you. You are an inspiration to me...thanks for the way you have encouraged us all!

Souad, funny thing, I am not really a milk person....will occasionlly crave a milk shake....but for some reason the psoriasis is easing up....I went to Walmart and got their brand of CoQ10 and the women's multivitamin "One Source Ultimate" and I have been taking it in the morning and afternoon, along with an extra vit D3 and acai berry tablet and fish oil.....I stopped the cottage cheese and flax...., I seem to be feeling better and have more energy....the psoriasis just doesn't really itch.....and I haven't been even applying the steroid cream that my dermatologist prescribed....and the little lumpy areas I had been feeling in my good breast.....well they seem to not be as noticible.....who knows but after I type all of this, I MAY FALL APART. LOL

BUT I JUST COULDN'T RESIST SHARING!1

Pinkhd, my sister (9-10yr survivor) went through chemo and she was also told no raw fruits or vegetable...she told me they explained to her that there may be germs on the fruit/veges and that her immunity would be low from the chemo....and by not eating raw stuff it would help not to worry about as many germs attacking her immune system...I guess it depend on the type of chemo. I wish you well.....

It is good we confess our weaknesses, Springtime the dark chocolate is good!!!! I ate some easter candy at work yesterday....3 small pieces, but I didn't really enjoy the taste, I think the "one source" multivitamin, keeps my cravings for chocolate down. but the honey bun got me today...

I am entertaing my best friends kids with dinner tonight....she and her hubby went on a long cruise....but I am planning a salad...(Olive Garden) style. grilled chicken, country style steak, brownies. fresh fruit, corn, and some sort of bread. have 3 kinds to decide about.

happy eating!

Amber

• havehope
    havehope Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2009
    Options

I want to start by appologizing if I will offend anybody with my post. It is not my intention and this is just my personal opinion. I love NY and you can find some of the best restaurants in the world, but you will find bad restaurants, too. Nobody is perfect.

I lived in NYC more than 12 years and now I live  in NJ but still work in the City.

After Sept 11, 2001 and since the crisis Downtown area has been going down. Restaurants are cutting costs and you can see that in the quality of the food. I would not recommend eating in Canal Street or anything that it is fast food or very cheap or the prices are too good to be true. Also, please stay away from stores very close to Ground Zero due to mice infestation. Most of the stores are new because the old ones were closed due to poor sanitation. Also, try to stay away from salads and raw food (especially in small stores). The food poisoning is on the rise.  

In Downtown I recommend ZEYTUNA, it is an Amish food store with restaurant. They have organic and natural food.

I recommend eating more in Midtown. There are too many restaurants to mention, but you can try any food restaurants search engines and you will have no problem finding  plenty. Since my sickness, I try to stay away from restaurants and I know a lot of them had closed since recession started.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/lb/3/best-restaurants-New-York

http://newyork.citysearch.com/

Usually I read the reviews from people who ate at these restaurants rather than food critics' reviews.

I highly recommend Whole Food Centers thru out the city with restaurants. Their food is organic and natural and plenty to choose from. Here are some store locations:

By Central, Park - 59th Str

Columbus Circle ( my personal favorite)

10 Columbus Circle
    Ste SC101
    New York, NY 10019
    Phone: 212.823.9600

Downtown

Tribeca

Less than a mile northwest270 Greenwich Street
    New York, NY 10007
    Phone: 212.349.6555

Union Square

4 Union Square South
    New York, NY 10003
    Phone: 212.673.5388

I wish you good time in NYC. If you need more help, please feel free to contact me.

• lisasayers
    edited April 2009
    Options

Finally decided where to get my DIM, thought I would share the site.  This is the DIM that is being used in clinical trials.

http://www.bioresponse.com/Home.asp

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hello Natural Girls.

I finally took the time to read this thread....Well I am actually only on Page 3 of 11!

So I have a long way to go.  Lots of Info so I dont want to rush through it...Also  putting Books on Reserve at the Library as I read about them.

Id like to add more natural & Raw things to my Diet.

Im still learning...I have a ton to learn.

Pam