Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• Janeluvsdogs
    Janeluvsdogs Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2010

Thank you for continuing to help the researchers get the word out.

• Mountains1day
    Mountains1day Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2010

And thank you for being the Messiah of this thread in representing the word of the researchers.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,070
    edited August 2010

I still have a drink with DH before dinner and have an occasional draft beer with lunch following a round of golf.  I also enjoy drinking wine, which is usually my choice of a before-dinner drink when we eat out.  I hate to hear that moderate consumption of alcohol is harmful, but I will probably continue to be a moderate drinker.  

I don't feel any different since I switched to the generic A.  No better.  No worse.  I'm very grateful to my gynecologist, who recommended Effexor for helping with the menopausal SEs that hit me after stopping HRT cold turkey and starting on A.  I don't see any reason to suffer needlessly when help is available.  Effexor is available in generic in the 75 mg dosage I take. 

DH and I biked 16 miles today around Detroit Lakes in MN.  I completely understand about a sore derriere!  Go, Claire!

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2010

Thanks Carole.  I was dragging a bit yesterday when I did the 50 miles prior to grilled fresh sockeye salmon feed w/microbrew. I think because I haven't fully recovered from the events of the past year.  So I slowed down and enjoyed the gardens as I cycled down some residential streets.  And walked some of the short nasty hills when I was getting tired towards the end.

Butt was also complaining but kept focused on the salmon and microbrew.

I went at it again today, doing an incredibly boring 30 mile training ride along a very flat and straight trail.  Was rewarded by seeing a bluebird, and by gorging on fresh blackberries.  So feel healthy and just great right now.

Now to fix myself another yummy dinner.....with wine.

• bethanybeane
    bethanybeane Member Posts: 167
    edited August 2010

Hi Carole and Claire -- I don't know if it's really "ok" to support each other's wine drinking, but I have to say I'm tired of feeling guilty after sharing a bottle of wine with my husband or joining in with my friends.....I do like hearing that others have decided that life goes on. I feel like I am rationalizing about this, but life doesn't go on the same anymore at some other times and/or in other ways....

I know that I need to be encouraged (along with the wine camaraderie) to keep adding more exercise to my days -- sounds like both of you are successful with that!!

Cheers, Bethany 

• Member_of_the_Club
    Member_of_the_Club Member Posts: 263
    edited August 2010

Ugh, Jane you continue to say you have the facts and we don't and you assert this by posting half-truths and distorting them.  Some examples:

1.  Radiation can cause heart disease.  So I guess this is your argument against it.  First of all, this is only a possibility with left breast, inner bc, so we've already eliminated most women right there.  And radiation oncology has gotten so much better at targeting and limiting radiation so this risk has become much more remote.  In the rare cases where it is a realistic risk, radiation oncologists know this in advance and counsel patients on the risk, benefits, alternatives.  But see all this nuance is lost when you throw out a phrase like "radiation can cause heart disease."

2.  Tamoxifen has shown definite survival benefits and AIs have shown definite benefits over tamoxifen.  You may find the extension of this argument, that AIs can and do save lives, unpersuasive but it is simply inaccurate to say that AIs don't extend life.  

3.  Fine, studies are ongoing.  My cancer is also ongoing.  I do not have the benefit of waiting 20 years.  The studies that we have in the here and now are consistent, and enough for me with my node-positive bc.  I know that without chemo/radiation/tamoxifen/arimidex, I would be dead right now.  Could I have taken one of those factors out of the equation and survived?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  I have two young children and I'm not willing to take that risk.

• painterly
    painterly Member Posts: 266
    edited August 2010

Hi Claire, Carole and Bethany,

Claire, I so enjoy reading your posts about your cycling life. My daughter is a cyclist in England (she is a tri athlete actually). I am not much of a cyclist. I cycle a little in Florida where we spend the winters. The strong winds usually put me off cycling though. My daughter  sometimes brings her bike to Florida.

I read that athletes have a higher tolerance for drugs. This is probably why the oncs. are saying we should do more exercise.

I am hoping this high tolerance will also work for being a moderate drinker. I just returned from a cruise down the Rhine and some of the excursions included wine tasting. So because I am trying to eliminate drinking from my life, I just ate grapes while others enjoyed the wine! Anyway, last night, I attended a dinner where the hosts have a reputation for serving the best wines. They began with champagne at sunset, followed by white and red wine during dinner. They also had grapes. I looked at the grapes and looked at the champagne and guess what? I drank the champagne!

I do a lot of exercise. Not much cycling, but I do swimming laps 3 hours per week while in Florida and play golf. 

I love  painting. But gave up  when I read that coming in contact with chemicals such as paint thinners etc creates xenoestrogens (I forget the spelling) circulating in the our bodies. What rotten luck that was! sheesh!

All this to say that I am now working on the principle that if we do lots of physical activity we will be able to tolerate the moderate amount of alcohol, drugs and what other chemicals come our way. And I have increased the amount of liver loving foods that will help the liver cope with drugs and all the other nasties in our environment and I am slowly getting back into painting.

Glenis

• painterly
    edited August 2010

Hi Member,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your comments make a lot of sense.

Glenis

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited August 2010

I think what Jane was saying is there are no completed studies on what effect "A" has on mortality.  Of course there are studies that show that "A" reduces recurrence of cancer but what if it actually increases the chance of the patient dying of a non cancer related incident such as a heart attack or stroke.  For example, I turned down herceptin because I didn't like the idea of dying of congestive heart disease even though it is very effective against Her2 cancer. 

To be fully informed of the long term effects of Arimidex we need such mortality studies to be completed.  This is especially important because some oncologists are recommending that patients stay on Arimidex for longer than 5 years.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2010

Hi everyone,

I recommend really sore glutes for taking your mind off any other A symptoms.  Hurts to sit down this morning from all the cycling.  Think it was the combo of the hills on Saturday (50 miles), and pushing it doing the 30 miles of boring flats yesterday.  Rewards were salmon feed w/microbrew after Saturday's event, and blackberries yesterday.  Just gorged on them.

Also had a bluebird fly out in front of me.

Painterly....good move on the champagne.  Sorry you missed all the fab German wines.  Grapes can be good, but there is a reason that wine was always better liked than grapes or raisins.  So thrilled you are getting back to what you love doing.

Anyway, I need to get back to work as my consulting ship is finally coming in! - Claire

(Other reason for exercise is that it keeps my BRAIN in tip top form.)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,450
    edited August 2010

What foods are liver loving?

• painterly
    edited August 2010

Liver protection plan (I forget which book I found it in),

--Fresh unprocessed fruit and veg.

--pure water

--exercise

--carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, pumpkin, kale, winter squash, citrus fruit,     broccoli, strawberries, tomatoes, melons, bell peppers, brussel sprouts and cabbage. (Such a wide range can please just about everyone).

-- 3-5 servings daily of fruit and veg.(doesn't have to be large amounts).

-- avoid sugar, highly refined foods and soft drinks whenever possible.

• painterly
    edited August 2010

Liver protection plan (I forget which book I found it in),

--Fresh unprocessed fruit and veg.

--pure water

--exercise

--carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, pumpkin, kale, winter squash, citrus fruit,     broccoli, strawberries, tomatoes, melons, bell peppers, brussel sprouts and cabbage. (Such a wide range can please just about everyone).

-- 3-5 servings daily of fruit and veg.(doesn't have to be large amounts).

-- avoid sugar, highly refined foods and soft drinks whenever possible.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2010

Thanks!

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited August 2010

I like that once again, this thread has gotten back on topic...all knowledge is power, that's true.

But we do need to be supportive of each other for sure, because the rest of the world out there doesn't "get" it, they just can't.

Painterly, I used to be an artist too, I didn't know the all the stuff caused problems. (sigh) the world is full of cancer causing stuff it seems.  But I sure am glad to read about the liver lovin' foods.

I still have a cocktail on weekends, ladies.  I decided life is just too short not to enoy everything in moderation.  I turned a glass of wine into a splash of wine in seltzer and I don't miss it.  I think it was the "idea" of it, that I actually missed.  So that works, if anyone's looking for ideas.

I reallly think when you consider Lance Armstrong that we are on to something with exercise.....

It just makes sense!

thanks, ladies.

xoxo

• carolehalston
    edited August 2010

One thing I have successfully given up this summer is carbonated soft drinks (pop, soda).  For years I drank diet Coke and came to prefer the taste to the regular coke, but I heard a report on tv about the harmful effects of carbonated drinks and decided not to drink them any more.  DH and I are drinking a lot of water with Crystal Light flavoring.  We also make our own ice tea, using the tea bags.

I eat all those foods listed as good for the liver just because I like them.  I'm also buying more organic foods.  The organic milk is delicious.  I heard an interesting discussion on NPR about happy cows (especially those with names) giving more and better milk! 

Keep us posted on your biking, Claire.  I'm making the trip vicariously!  My longest biking trip was 24 miles, in the UP of MI between Hancock and Calumet and back to Hancock.  DH and I stopped in Calumet to enjoy the interesting old town and have lunch at a micro brewery.  It was a rails to trails bike path. 

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2010

Hi Carole,

I realized quite some time ago that I hated all soda, so why was I spending money on it?  Even the diet stuff tastes of chemicals to me.  YUCK!!!  I do drink seltzer, and love a splash of Italian pomegranate soda in it.  I would also drink more sparkling lemonade, but watch the sugar content there too.  I do like lemon or lime in seltzer, and Ikea makes a fab elderflower cordial.   The point is that 30 calories of sugar is a lot different than 6x that.

I can't do white wine in seltzer unless really mediocre stuff.  Good wine deserves being savored.  Campari works though.  Perhaps should get some, but more red wine weather here.

I am waiting for abundant tomatoes so can make fresh tomato tarte:

1 unbaked pie shell

Pesto (I make my own and freeze)

Three or four tomatoes, preferably heirloom

Chevre and shredded mozzarella

Get out pie shell, and put a layer of pesto on bottom.  Slice tomatoes and drain on paper towels to soak up some of the juice.  Three layers of tomatoes, with crumbles of chevre sprinkled over each layer.  Put a good lot of shredded mozzarella on top.  Bake at 350 until melted and bubbling, about 25-30 minutes.

Serve with a salad, and/or green veggie.  Wine optional.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2010

On cows.....I grew up on a dairy farm.  Yes, they have feelings just like the rest of us.  Some are quite sweet and there are others you would rather not know.

Major correlation between diet and milk production.  Not just quantity of milk, but of the nutrients.  It was just amazing when we would let them out to pasture in May.  This was in Vermont, so no fresh grass until then.  Pails that were half full of milk would be two thirds full.  And the butterfat also increased.

I think this is one of the reasons I have always tried to eat healthy food.  No, not what cows eat (though I did try their food), but lots of fresh foods.  So real bread, real fruits and veggies, with minimal other stuff.  Sometimes we have to eat the equivalent of corn silage and hay, but fresh food is generally more nutritous.

Cows do respond to good treatment.  Dad said that when the two sisters we knew finally had to sell their prized Jersey herd, the buyers would not get as high milk production.  Because women understand what cows really need more than men do!!!  At least that was their theory.

If you think about it, all of us are happier when treated well.  Why should cows be any different?

Enjoy your organic milk.  BTW - I have noticed the same thing.  Also think it is cruel to force cows via hormones to produce more milk than is comfortable.  I think all of us can understand why this would be true.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2010
    Claire, I want to come over to your house for dinner! Smile
  • balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited August 2010

Wow just catching up on posts~ Whoa a lively debate.  Since A has gone to generic I have picked up two prescriptions the first one was not much less then the brand name, yesterday I went to pick up my prescription and it was only $2.96 can you believe it.  ; 0

Will check in soon....been here and there.... I love summer!

Balsie 

• jakhope
    jakhope Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010

Hello all.I have not posted in awhile. I have been on Arimidex since April and really do not have any side effects to complain about. I have to admit I feel I have battled some depression since my cancer, treatment and loss of my mother. I have gained weight and just could not get motivated to lose. I have been drinking too much wine at least two glasses a night and not exercising. Sunday I started walking and going to our development gym. It is so HOT to be out walking but tomorrow will be my third day. I hope I can stick with it and stay motivated. I see my Oncologist in three weeks and hope to be down at least 5 pounds. I know what I have to do and not do, just have to stay motivated and focused.

Jeannie here in florida.  .  .

• jakhope
    jakhope Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010

Claire, your recipe sounds Devine!

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited August 2010

Claire - That recipe sounds AMAZING ! I may leave out the pie shell since I dont exercise anywhere near as much as you do but pesto instead of plain basil is literally making my mouth water.

Painterly - I've got to ask; do you go down to Hallandale ? We've had a place there for years and years and winter always brings lots of French Canadians. I just love that in March when I was there last, I could hear French, Spanish, Russian and English on what used to be a boring, tending towards geriatric strip of beach.

And cheers towards all my fellow wine and cocktail lovers;  I confess, tequila -esp with fresh watermelon puree -has been my drink of choice this summer. Hey, we have to enjoy some things !

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2010

Claire - love that recipe!  I will try it as have been getting fresh Jersey tomatoes almost daily.  We eat almost exclusively fresh and organic.  And I do enjoy my glass of wine.

• painterly
    edited August 2010

MTG

We live in Sarasota (one hour's drive south of Tampa). We just love it! Lot's of artsy things to do. And great people to hang out with.

• carolehalston
    edited August 2010

What a mouthwatering recipe!  Claire, what's your pesto recipe? 

• AMP47
    AMP47 Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2010

Claire - great recipe. A recipe my husbands mother made for him while young.  Old world Italian recipe.  The only thing I add to your recipe is fresh basil and balsamic vinegar  sprinkled over the top right out of the oven.  Yum, Yum.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2010

Hi Carole,

I am trying to remember my pesto recipe as I do it to taste.  These are the ingredients:

- Fresh basil.....lots of it

- Walnuts

- Parmesan cheese....I use the stuff from Argentina that Trader Joe's sells

- Some sort of pancetta or procscuitto

- Good olive oil

- Garlic

I chop up basil and walnuts in my blender w/olive oi and garlic, then add the other stuff to taste + salt and pepper.  I try to make two containers.  I use one fresh and freeze the other one.  I usually do this twice and make a linguini w/pesto sauce as one of my other meals.  Sorry, I can't be better with proportions, but wouldn't even remember what I initially started with.  Really waiting for this one as no good basil here yet.  I try to use as little olive oil as possible, but you do need something that resembles a pounded walnut/basil/cheese paste.

I bought some chevre for the beets I just roasted, and of course will save some for the tarte.  I have enough pesto leftover in the freezer for at least one.

Enjoy the end of summer bounty!

You should be just fine in the East.  We are having a cool summer, so lettuce is just amazing, but tomatoes and basil are slow.

• painterly
    edited August 2010
    I cooked it last night, it was yummie.Smile
  • BrendaAreYouA4
    BrendaAreYouA4 Member Posts: 40
    edited August 2010

Yummm!  All this talk of food and drink is making me hungry and thirsty!  I think I will try Claire's tomato pie and MTG's tequila and watermelon drink.  Think of all the antioxidants!  

Claire - I used to bike a lot.  Once I went to Holland for 10 days and biked 500 miles.  It was great and the Jenever!  ( A straight Dutch gin that impairs bicycle riding abilities!)