Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Arimidex

Comments

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited September 2010

Hi everyone, thanks for the good wishes.

Here I am thinking how great Femara is, forgetting I am only taking 1 pill every other day. Well, yesterday I went to oncologist who asked how I was feeling. I said great, my wrists are killing me but I am surviving even with all the other crap going on in my life with the augmented breast.

I start to take Femara every day as of the 11th of this month and am hoping that it is easier to handle than A. Today, however, I used the Novartis coupon and paid $10.00 for a 30 day supply which is also good for 12 more refills.

I wish everyone here peace and tranquility and will be back after core biopsy.

Hugs to all.

• Prairiemermaid
    Prairiemermaid Member Posts: 67
    edited October 2010

Wow, Ruth -- I'm writing this down!  You are an inspiration, you know?  If it turns out that the calcium is not the problem (in regulated doses) with me, I'm going on *your* supplement schedule (and workout routine :-)  Thanks!

• Prairiemermaid
    edited October 2010

Ronna -- great news about the Femara.  Hope it holds out good for you.  And my thoughts are with you through the core biopsy!  I hate that procedure -- I evidently had "tough" breast tissue, so it was especially torturous.  But I've talked to several others who didn't have nearly as bad of an experience.  Whatever the case for you, remember to have several soft (gel-filled) ice packs on hand immediately after.  It will reduce everything -- pain, swelling and bruising.  With more than one you can swap them out of the freezer.  Be strong.  We are all with you through this!  And prayers too are going out for you to get a good result from the test...  Sharon

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,427
    edited August 2013

Ronna, if it's OK with the Dr's. take some aspirin or Tylenol before the procedure (and if it's not OK, ask that they give you something else) so that you can stay ahead of the pain.

Sharon, if you want a some exercise inspiration (and/or a kick in the butt), check out the 'Let's Post Our Daily Exercise' thread; patoo is on there too and we have lots of fun (and also do a little exercise too Wink).

• Coleen
    Coleen Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010

Thank you, going to see if I can get Viactiv here. Starting back to the gym. Gave it a rest during radium. I have a stinging pain in my right wrist on the side opposite the thumb. Not sure if its from Arimidex. I'm turning into a neurotic moan.

• Prairiemermaid
    edited August 2013

Hi Julia -- I somehow missed your post!  Yes, I had heard that about calcium citrate.  I only recently learned about vitamin D helping with calcium absorption. Maybe that (plus weight bearing exercise) is why Ruth has had such good luck with Viactiv (calcium carbonate).  But I didn't know about the magnesium.  I'll have to look into that.  Thanks for the info!  :-)

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2010

Isn't it amazing the info our Oncs don't seem to know about!  Check out the Vit D thread for lots of good info. 

PM -  Here's something on Tums and may be a partial answer to your stomach issues? 

http://www.naturalhealthschool.com/14_10.html  - midway down the page; copy and paste the link to read the whole - and I just googled so can't attest to the validity of the source.

"Are Tums and similar antacids good courses of calcium?

The source of calcium in Tums and similar antacids is limestone (calcium carbonate). Limestone is the cheapest form of calcium available. It is very effective at neutralizing stomach acid but it is an inferior source of calcium since it is not absorbed as well as most other forms. Furthermore, because of the danger of a rebound effect from taking too many antacids, which can make a stomach problem worse, antacids should never be taken on a continual basis. Tums is therefore not a good source of calcium. Tums also does not contain Vitamin D, which is necessary for calcium absorption and enhances the bone building process. It also does not contain magnesium, phosphorus and boron, which are necessary for healthy bone.

SmithKline Beecham, the manufacturer of Tums, argues that "healthy" individuals get enough vitamin D to make their calcium effective. One problem with this is that the individuals who are at greatest risk for calcium deficiency, and the individuals who need calcium supplementation the most, are also the individuals who are at greatest risk for vitamin D deficiency. Furthermore, according to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (63:354-357, 1996), additional vitamin D increases the short term absorption of calcium even in healthy individuals with no apparent vitamin D deficiency. Therefore, all good calcium supplements should not only contain quality sources of calcium, but also vitamin D and the minerals magnesium, phosphorus and boron.

Recent medical evidence suggests that taking large amounts of calcium, without vitamin D, will actually deplete the body's stores of vitamin D, causing a weakening of bone structure. Furthermore, this vitamin D deficiency can result in increased risks for certain kinds of cancers, particularly prostate cancer in men. It is therefore not only inadvisable to rely on antacids for your calcium needs-it can be downright dangerous!

That's as far as I read.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2010

Wow, thanks patoo!

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2010

spineuniverse.com, Harvinder S. Sandhu, M.D., Cornell University

Magnesium

Magnesium is a mineral that plays an important role in maintaining healthy bones.  It contributes to increased bone density and helps prevent the onset of osteoporosis.  Most people do not get enough magnesium in their diets, especially if they eat large amounts of processed foods in which much of the magnesium is removed.

Since magnesium works closely with calcium, it is important to have an appropriate ratio of both minerals in order for them to be effective.  A good rule of thumb is a 2:1 calcium-to-magnesium ratio.  For example, if you take 1000 mg of calcium, you should also take 500 mg of magnesium.

The recommended amount of magnesium is 300mg to 500mg daily.  As with calcium, chelated forms of magnesium are absorbed best by the body.  Magnesium oxide is also available and is often less expensive, but it is poorly absorbed by the body.  Since high doses of magnesium can cause diarrhea, you should divide your doses and take them with meals throughout the day.

You can also increase your intake of magnesium by eating magnesium-rich foods.  Food sources that are high in magnesium include:

Brown Rice

Buckwheat

Corn

Dandelion greens

Dark green vegetables

Legumes

Nuts (almonds, cashew, brazil)

Rye

Seeds (sunflower, sesame, pumpkin)

Wheat germ/bran

Whole grain cereals

I just checked with pharmacist, A + Ca + Mag ok together.

• patoo
    edited October 2010

thanks Julia257.

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    edited August 2013

Hello to everyone:  I have a comment to make about calcium carbonate vs citrate that I haven't seen in this thread...I didn't look back to page 1 though :>)

For anyone taking a proton pump inhibitor (nexium, omeprazole etc) should take calcium citrate rather than carbonate.  The carbonate needs stomach acid to break down and get absorbed where as the citrate gets absorbed regardless.  Since the PPI stops the acid in the stomach there will be little or none absorbed.  

I found this out from my pharmacist after I had heard that taking a PPI could cause weakened bones and fractures.  Already being on Arimidex that was the last thing I wanted to start taking, but the A was causing me terrible heartburn, and I had to do something.

Hope this helps someone. 

• lollys
    lollys Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2013

Hi all havent been on this site for a very long time--have been on Arimedex for 1 year now and doing ok-- some joint discomfort but the more i exercise the better i am --seems like sitting still makes me much more stiff-- Is anyone on the generic Arimidex,--I dont like generic meds--and the one time they tried to give it to me i saw it was made in India and I refused it--now my insurance wont pay for the brand and I may have to start on the generic--I really may just pay for it so I dont have to go on the generic--I have this thing about the generic meds-- so if anyone is on the generic and doing ok please let me know-- I am going to ask my onc this week also-- hope all is well with eveyone--Laura

• yogamom
    yogamom Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2010

Hi Laura -  I was on the brand-name for three months and have been on the generic for three months and haven't noticed any difference.  Arimidex was the first prescription for which I wasn't given a generic initially (and for some reason I did find that appealing :-)) but I do believe that the active ingredient is the same in the brand-name and in the generic.  The maker of mine is Breckenridge.

• lollys
    edited October 2010

Thanks yogamom--all positve advice helps--notice you dont live too far from me--I am in San Jose--anyway thanks so much--will let you know what I do--Laura

• Raj20
    Raj20 Member Posts: 783
    edited October 2010

My doctor has  given me Arimidex  on trial  since  2006. Still I am  continuing  but  I have not face any  side effects, I feel good. I have  dramatically changed my  eating habit after  my treatment  which  caused me some problem. but now  I am on normal  diet, I feel quite normal.

• don23
    don23 Member Posts: 213
    edited October 2010

I've only been on Arimiex since July 1st. I just started taking the generic form Thurs., Sept. 30th. So far I haven't noticed any difference but it's only been a few days. If something different comes up I will definitely let you know.

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited August 2013

NEWS FLASH: For anyone with BCBS - as of Oct 1, there is a Zero co-pay for BRAND Arimidex (zero for the generic as well) provided your Doctor writes "Dispense as Written" on the prescription. I just learned about this yesterday, after many calls with insurance company and pharmacy. (The insurance co sent me a letter but my renewal price wasn't reflecting any change.)I've been paying almost $1,000 for a 3 month supply so I was really, really excited to learn of the change. For those with other insurance, it may make sense to call them and see if Brand A will be covered if your Doc expressly asks for it

EDITED TO ADD - This may be only be for Carefirst BCBS and Carefirst Bluechoice users. 

• ruthbru
    edited October 2010

I talked to my pharmisist before starting the generic, as I have had some trouble with generics in the past. He said that since it is a 'serious' Class A drug, the formula has to be EXACTLY the same for the generic as for the original. I haven't noticed any difference at all.

• patoo
    edited October 2010

I also have not noticed any difference.  My Onc said the generic is fine because the formula has to be exactly as the brand name.   Mine are made by Mylan here in the PA/NJ area.  Laura, perhaps if you tried a different pharmacy you can get them by another mfr?

• lollys
    edited October 2010

thanks everyone--I will look into the insurance thing too will let you know after I talk with my onc--

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2010

I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance, and what MTG is saying is certainly not true for me.  In fact, my insurance has dropped brand-name Arimidex from its formulary.  That means they won't cover it at all.  Not zero co-pay -- zero coverage!  My co-pay for the generic version (which I picked up last week with my most recent refill) was $12 for a 90 day supply.  That's what I expected based on my policy documentation.  I've had Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance for, oh, about 28 years.  The only time they've had a "zero co-pay" drug was when they wanted people to switch from brand-name proton pump inhibitors (Protonix, Nexium) to generic omeprazole. That special deal only lasted for a few months.  I can't imagine them offering zero co-pay for a brand-name drug, especially one as expensive as Arimidex.  Must be something strange going on...

otter

• marilyn7
    marilyn7 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010

Hi Everyone - I'm new to the site - just started the generic 3 days ago - 3 down, 1822 more to go! So far so good.  I was diagnosed in February, lumpectomy-chemo-radiation done, gaining my strength, dealing with lingering neuropathy and some fatigue / muscle weakness and just plain tired. 

Glad to hear so many people are doing well with the generic.

Marilyn

• ruthbru
    edited October 2010
    Hi Marilyn, welcome to this thread, lots of good information here and also on the 'Coping with Arimidex SE' thread. Glad you are in the 'gaining the strength' phase. Smile Ruth
  • Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2010

1821 now Marilyn, welcome to the A team!  Hope it goes well for you!

• ronqt1
    edited October 2010

Hi all, with all your thoughts and prayers, all my tests came out negative. Even the core biospy was not as bad as last year.

I pray that each and everyone of you gals much peace, health and happiness.

Today I will truly celebrate having gotten the news that no reoccurance has occurred.

On the 11th I go full force with Femara, so I will be posting there, but will check in here.

You are all a great bunch of gals and I love you.

• patoo
    edited October 2010

We love you also Ronna and are ABSOLUTELY THRILLED that your tests are negatives.

Hi to everyone and our newbies.

• ronqt1
    edited October 2010

Hi everyone, in two days I start Femara at 100% and am hoping that the Femara side effects are a little easier to deal with than A.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you again. And, yes, my wrists still hurt, but mainly in the morning, as day goes pain subsides. Now on to the fipple part and fat grafting which had been put on hold for my reconstructed girl

Myself and another member of the club are going to a breast cancer symposium at St. Barnabas' Hospital in Livingston, Nj this Wed.  Hopefully, some good news will be coming.

My wishes of good health to all and peace,

Hugs,

• ruthbru
    edited October 2010
    Hugs back Laughing!
  • valgal
    valgal Member Posts: 187
    edited October 2010
    My oncologist specifically told me that swelling would occur in only one leg as a side effect to the Arimidex (I haven't started taking it ye) t... she said that's how I would know it was from the A.
  • patoo
    edited October 2010

Valgal, that's weird.  How does she know what SE you will have, if any?  I've been on A for 19 months and did not have any swelling in either leg.   Oncs, gotta love 'em (murder's illegal!)