Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited August 2010

bump for some readers who are looking for this thread...

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2010

jakhope - have you been to the motivation thread yet. We all exercise and cheer each other on and help each other there to move and groove. Check it out.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited August 2010

Not to change the subject: However, I just received notice that the Komen Race For the Cure walk for the northern NJ area is May 15, 2011 in West Orange at South Mountain Reservation. I am thrilled, just a 10 minute ride from my house. Just wanted to spread the word.

Hugs,

• kt57
    kt57 Member Posts: 75
    edited August 2010

Hi Ladies,

Haven't posted here in a while.    Just got a call from my pharmacy --- they have generic arimidex.  maybe this is old news to you , but I know there has been extensive discussion about whether or not the patent will be released to generic -- apparenting it  has.   It's going to cost me $10/month. 

I hope this means that now everyone who needs it can afford this life saving drug!

• Carole1214
    Carole1214 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010

Hi Roxy,

I have been on Arimidex since January and I only take it in the morning.  I have some aching in my right thigh but my doctor said that this isn't the Arimidex.  He said joint pain is synchronous (if that is the right word).  In other words, I would have it in both thighs if it was the Arimidex.

Best to you,

Carole 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited August 2010

Hi Carole,

In my case I don't think that is true. Since A I have pain in my left hand fingers and not the right. Maybe others will chime in.

pam 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2010

Carole, ditto pam - your doc is in denial (big surprise!).  To hear the docs, A has no se's.  Either they are caused by something else, another drug, age, injury, or it's all in our head.  Ask 99.999999999% of A patients and you will find the joint pain is not synchronous.

Myself, joint pain came back in right hip (I had it years ago and it stopped).  Also started to get carpal tunnel in the right hand (splinted for a couple months and it eased).  Couple weeks ago had trigger thumb on left hand (finally had to get cortisone shot) and may be getting it in another finger on left hand.  A se's many times ease or go away so if it's not a SE of A why would it go away?  I also have been getting serious cramps at night in one or the other calf or toes - Aaarrggg!

Tell your doc to go to the Mayo Clinic website and check out SE's of Arimidex.

• sobx
    edited August 2010

Patoo- I take 3 ibuprofen before bed to help with the leg cramps. Surprise-restless leg syndrom-SE!!

If anyone is taking the generic do you still have the SE or or they beter/worse? I haven't gotten my Rx filled since the generic came out. 

Have a great day. 

• patoo
    edited August 2010

I also am not on generic yet.  But, sobx, is that what I'm having - restless leg syndrome?  I didn't know RLS was cramping.  Time to do some more research - thanks for the tip.

• sobx
    edited August 2010

i get leg cramps in my calves and was told by my ONC that was probably what it was. who knows!!

• patoo
    edited August 2010

Google results for RLS - none of the websites said anything about cramping; mostly leg aches and jerking but not one mentioned cramps.  Took advil before bed last 2 nights and seems to be better.  I'm gong to not take them tonight and see what happens - my medical research LOL!

• ronqt1
    edited September 2010

Because of all the pain I have had in my hands, my onc. has started me on Femara.

I will take 1 pill every other day. After 15 pills I will see him to know further what to do. I have taken 2 so far.

This has been a great thread and I want to thank all for all your help and advice. I will continue to come on, but I will now join the Femara crowd. I have also posted on Lowrider's new Arimidex thread.

See you all soon. Wishing everyone well.

Hugs,

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited September 2010

Ronna,

I think your insight here is still quite valuable to the A team. Please keep us in the loop.

pam 

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2010

I haven't been here for awhile, alot of posts since then. I just had my reconstruction surgery and I'm healing from that now.

My knees hurt soooooooo bad from the Arimidex, I can hardly bend them. The weather has been cold and rainy, so I know that is part of it. I may call my doctor and see what I can do, I have always had bad knees (arthritis), but this is getting unbearable! I'm also going to the drugstore today and getting some good glucosamine/chrondroitin pills to see if that will help. I feel like I'm 90 years old, not 47. I cannot kneel down on the floor at all. I am very active, so that's not it. This is depressing when you can hardly walk/move. My hot flashes have simmered down some, not so bad anymore. I have been on A for 6 months now. Anyone else with bad knees???

• Medigal
    Medigal Member Posts: 183
    edited September 2010

I am the badge wearer for bad knees!!  I can't even kneel in church!  But let me tell you something. Over about 20 years ago this orthopedic doctor said I had NO cartilidge in my knees and I had to have both knees replaced.  I told him he was crazy that I had heard about something called Glucosamine/Chrondroitin that had helped people and I was going to give it a try before he or any one was cutting up my knees.  Well, I started on 1 pill 3 x a day and soon I was able to walk without pain.  I still have to protect my knees by not kneeling and doing other stressful things but I don't have pain or swollen knees unless I overdo on them.  That G/C stuff worked so great for me, I put hubby on it.  You need to give it time to work and help it by not overdoing it on the knees.  I do hope it will help you.  On the over 5 years I have been on Arimidex, I never had it trigger off pain in my knees. I also stopped the G/C a couple of years ago because I had to go on Citracal for the Arimidex bone problems.  It was too much for my stomach so I gave up G/C.

• patoo
    edited September 2010

I had a similar problem with my hip years ago, pre-BC.  Doc said I would eventually need hip replacement but to try glucosamine/chondroitin.  That worked (it takes 3-4 weeks to show improvement) and after about 3 years was able to go off ghe G/C and still had no more pain.  Then Arimidex and, bam, back came the hip pain and knee pain.  So I went back on G/C and saw some improvement.  However, I then upped my Vit D supplement and have been able to go off the G/C again and no longer have any hip pain. 

So, you might want to check into your Vitamin D levels as well.  The "norm" docs tell us we are are actually normal(?) for non-cancer folks but may need to be much higher for cancer survivors.  There is a Vit D thread with info if you haven't been there already.

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited September 2010

Hi patoo!  First, I wanted to thank you for the kind words you gave me as a newbie - and wow, here I am almost a year later doing pretty good!  That stage iv dx really knocks the wind of one's sails!   

And, I see this A-team site has gotten back to its intent - I wonder how to get the Arimidex threads back together again?  I set up the Coping one when this went haywire and I see there is another one now.  Oh boy!

Wishing you all the best! 

LowRider

• Janeluvsdogs
    Janeluvsdogs Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2010

Hi again, here's THE LANCET study:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045%2807%2970385-6/abstract 

This is the update study comparing the Tamoxifen and Arimidex takers at 100 months.

See the key finding we were trying to investigate: no improvement in OVERALL SURVIVAL (OS). Women weren't living any longer on Arimidex but they were getting more bone fractures.

EXCERPT:

No effect was noted for OS (anastrozole 472 vs tamoxifen 477) HR 0·97 [0·86-1·11], p=0·7).

Fracture rates were higher in patients receiving anastrozole than in those receiving tamoxifen during active treatment...

[Edit] [Delete]
  • MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited September 2010

Janeluvsdogs -

It's an interesting study, thank you. However, the excerpts highlight the only study findings in which Anastrozole wasn't the clear winner so they may be somewhat misleading.

The study's conclusion, "These data show long-term safety findings and ESTABLISH CLEARLY THE LONG-TERM EFFICACY OF ANASTROZOLE COMPARED WITH TAMOXIFEN as initial adjuvant treatment for postmenopausal women with hormone-sensitive, early breast cancer, and PROVIDE STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT EVIDENCE OF A LARGER CARRYOVER EFFECT AFTER 5 YEARS OF ADJUVANT TREATMENT WITH ANASTROZOLE COMPARED WITH TAMOXIFEN."

• kuchagirl
    kuchagirl Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2010

Hi,

Been on A about 5 weeks now.  Delayed switching from Tamox due to concerns about A side effects.  However, so far so good!  The main occurrence right now is vivid dreams, which, since I have kept dream journals, etc., is a GOOD THING!  Maybe joint pain on a scale of 1 (1-10).  I know new symptoms could emerge at any time, but still, I'm glad I made the switch.  I think I had more annoying symptoms on Tamox, including itchy crotch and lower-leg cramping/spams, both of which have abated.

• Lowrider54
    edited September 2010

So, since I am post-menapause and can't take the Tamoxifin...I should not take the Arimidex (that I CAN take post-menapausal)?  What is the other choice?  Die?  With bone mets...they add the Aredia to strengthen the bones so I DON'T get an increase in fractures...damn these studies that only give you a glimpse of the whole picture in a treatment plan and scare poeple to NOT take something that could very well save their lives - no one in the study was given a bone strengthener which is typically a part of any Arimidex regime - I place more confidence in my oncologist than any study anyday.

• Lowrider54
    edited September 2010

For anyone who is interested....this is the literature for Arimidex - what was discovered in the study is noted in it.  I would consider that 'full disclosure' and not hiding anything from us. 

Important Safety Information About ARIMIDEX

• Prescription ARIMIDEX is only for postmenopausal women.
    • ARIMIDEX should not be taken if you are pregnant because it may harm your unborn child
    • Based on information from a study in patients with early breast cancer, women with a history of blockages in heart arteries (ischemic heart disease) who take ARIMIDEX may have a slight increase in this type of heart disease compared to similar patients who take tamoxifen
    • ARIMIDEX can cause bone softening/weakening (osteoporosis) increasing the chance of fractures. In a clinical study in early breast cancer, there were more fractures (including fractures of the spine, hip, and wrist) with ARIMIDEX (10%) than with tamoxifen (7%)
    • In a clinical study in early breast cancer, some patients taking ARIMIDEX had an increase in cholesterol. Skin reactions, allergic reactions, and changes in blood tests of liver function have also been reported
    • In the early breast cancer clinical trial, the most common side effects seen with ARIMIDEX include hot flashes, joint symptoms (including arthritis and arthralgia), weakness, mood changes, pain, back pain, sore throat, nausea and vomiting, rash, depression, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, fractures, swelling of arms/legs, insomnia, and headache
    • In advanced breast cancer trials, the most common side effects seen with ARIMIDEX versus tamoxifen include hot flashes, nausea, decreased energy and weakness, pain, back pain, headache, bone pain, increased cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and swelling of arms and legs. Joint pain/stiffness has been reported in association with the use of ARIMIDEX
    • ARIMIDEX should not be taken with tamoxifen or estrogen-containing therapies
  • ronqt1
    edited September 2010

Hi Pam, been posting others site for awhile,

Been on Femara since end of Aug. Still taking a pill every other day, before Onc decides how to proceed. My wrists are still killing me, the other night I could not even squeez the toothpaste.

So far with Femara I am always warm at night, with night sweats, and either I am eating more or suddenly there has been some weight gain.

Just went for my first year mamo on Friday since dx and now I am on pins and needles, they could not get a reading from augmented breast, went immediately to ultra sound and now they are advising for mri. I already had an appointment with bs on Thur, so I guess I will know more after I meet with him.  When I was having the mamo and on to ultra sound immediately, it was deja vu from last year and I had a melt down right there. I have a tough next few days but there is nothing else I can do.

But back  to Femara, the little ugly yellow pill, I look forward to taking it.

Stay well and thank you for "listening".

Hugs,

• ronqt1
    edited September 2010

Hi Pam, been posting other site for awhile,

Been on Femara since end of Aug. Still taking a pill every other day, before Onc decides how to proceed. My wrists are still killing me, the other night I could not even squeez the toothpaste.

So far wih Femara I am always warm at night, with night sweats, and either I am eating more or suddenly there has been some weight gain.

Just went for my first year mamo on Friday since dx and now I am on pins and needles, they could not get a reading from augmented breast, went immediately to ultra sound and now they are advising for mri. I already had an appointment with bs on Thur, so I guess I will know more after I meet with him.  When I was having the mamo and on to ultra sound immediately, it was deja vu from last year and I had a melt down right there. I have a tough next few days but there is nothing else I can do.

But back  Femara, the little ugly yellow pill, I look forward to taking it.

Hugs,

• ronqt1
    edited September 2010

Hi Pam, been posting others site for awhile,

So far wih Femara I am always warm at night, with night sweats, and either I am eating more or suddenly there has been some weight gain.

But back  Femara, the little ugly yellow pill, I look forward to taking it.

Hugs,

• patoo
    edited September 2010

Ronna, please know that we are all here waiting with you.  Can you feel the HUGS. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,450
    edited September 2010

Ronna, let us know how it goes. MOST things like that ARE false alarms (which of course none of us really trusts anymore......but they are!!) A hug from me too! Ruth

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited September 2010

Ronna, I'm so sorry you're going through such a horrendous time.  I hope and pray for the best possible results on your procedures and that you will soon be totally pain-free and well.  Julia

• ronqt1
    edited September 2010

Patoo, Ruthbru, Julie,

Thank you so much for your good wishes.

Love to all,

Hopefully this will be a false alarm.

Hugs,

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,450
    edited September 2010

I'll pray that you don't go crazy before Thursday....ARGH!!!