Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Arimidex

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,557
    edited October 2010

No swelling in either leg either....why would you get a swelling in one leg? That doesn't even make sense!

• kuchagirl
    kuchagirl Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2010

Thats interesting about the one-leg swelling.  After about 2 months on Anastrozole, I had a consistent weird feeling in my right leg that caused me to have to change position in bed about every 5 minutes.  I don't like it.  It is only in one leg.  No swelling, but maybe that comes later.  Could it be related to circulation?  That's what it feels like in my leg.  I'm going to talk to my onc about this. Maybe switch medications.

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited October 2010

I have been on generic arimidex for 3 years now, no swelling of anything here.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2010

kuchagirl, seems to me someone may have mentioned restless leg syndrome (RLS) as a possible A SE.  Maybe ask your onc. 

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2010

Hi ladies, yeah, I had restless leg, which went away on A, then my right hip "popping" noise and now a weakness in the right leg.  I esp. notice it after walking for 20 minutes of so.  Orthopedist said it's Iliobiatal band syndrome, not much I can do for it but stretch alot. 

I don't get the insurance with arimidex?  I have BC/SH Anthem and they do cover A, but my insurance is exhausted after two refills. (I have 2,000 max) so i've been getting mine (name brand only, I tend to have trouble with generics) from Canada.

Now my canadian phcy has quality control issues, does anyone know a good canadian online phcy?  One that is affiliated with a "Bricks and mortar" phcy?  I use Canadian Pharmacy Service which has been great so far (1 1/2  years), now they just sent me 90 days of discolored aluminum backing arimidex and the phcy is insisting it is fine.  I can't see how they could know that, but refused it.  I have paid 1/2 price for it out of pocket, and it's been working v well so far, but there is no way I am taking that discolored lot, looks like it was stored in a high heat, as there is condensation on the blisters over the pills also.  I sent it back, but am left with two weeks of pills now unless I find a new canadian supplier who can do canadian make Astra Zeneca A.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, and Ronna, such wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It sounds as tho having the anniversary date was actually lucky for you!!! I am so  happy to hear stories like that!

• monandeclan
    monandeclan Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2010

Annie,

I've been taking the generic.  Have you tried that?  It's much less expensive. 

• Annabella58
    edited October 2010

Hi Mona!

Hope you are well...no, the generic's not for me.  I tend to overreact to what they suspect are fillers in generics, so I have to go brand for now.

I wish........

hope all is going well for you, you look great!

• Prairiemermaid
    Prairiemermaid Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2013
    Oct 8, 2010 01:32 pmronqt1 wrote:Hi all, with all your thoughts and prayers, all my tests came out negative. Even the core biospy was not as bad as last year. I pray that each and everyone of you gals much peace, health and happiness.Today I will truly celebrate having gotten the news that no reoccurance has occurred.On the 11th I go full force with Femara, so I will be posting there, but will check in here.You are all a great bunch of gals and I love you.-------------------------- YIPPEEEEEEE!  Ronna, I've been away from the board for the past couple of weeks, but have had you on my mind and in my heart the whole time!  I am soooo happy to hear this GREAT news.  You made my day (and more)...  Sharon
  • ruthbru
    edited October 2010
    Yea, Sharon!! Laughing
  • AMP47
    AMP47 Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2010

Prairiemermaid I sent you a private message. AMP47

• sandi17
    sandi17 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010

I had the same problem and started taking it as early as possible in the morning.  It really helped with the sleeplessness but I still woke up often during the night   I have been off it for 5 months after 5 years and am sleeping now.

• SuzanneDivot
    SuzanneDivot Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010

Hi,

I've been on Arimidex since January 2010. Most irritating SEs are joint and muscle pain. I feel like an old lady. Walking helps, but sometimes I can't get the gumption to go walking. I take mine in the AM so doesn't affect my sleeping. Also, I don't seem to be gaining weight with it, although I just quit smoking 2 months ago (thank goodness for Chantix), and will probably start to balloon any day now! Can someone tell me what happens if I stop taking the Arimidex after a year? If five years is the norm for taking it, does that mean the cancer will reappear in the sixth year??? How did they determine the "five year" regimen, does anybody know? Congratulations to all who are cancer survivors . . . whoever said God didn't make weaklings sure knew what they were talking about.

• SuzanneDivot
    SuzanneDivot Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010

Coleen,

Check with your oncologist about the calcium. Mine does a bone density test every few months and he uses the results to determine if I'm getting enough calcium or not. Also, I'm getting the hot flashes too, but my chemo nurses told me to try 100 mg Vitamin B6 and 1000 mg. Vitamin E daily to reduce the hot flashes. That did work. Also, I found when I cut my caffeine consumption (coffee and CHOCOLATE), they were less. Seems like they are worse before noon and after 8:00 pm. Regarding the generic Arimidex, my pharmacy sent me a letter just a couple months ago telling me there was a generic available. My oncologist wrote the script for the generic and now I'm paying $10 for 3 months supply rather than $55. Big difference!

• Annabella58
    edited October 2010

Hi gals, grrrr, having so much trouble finding brand arimidex online again...someone on here mentioned TEVA drugs as being great....anyone?  Can't find them online to order.

Hope all are well :)

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2010

Hi anniealso, Teva has been taken over by an Indian firm and renamed according to my pharmacist.  You mentioned in the other forum that you have UTI symptoms also.  Imho you should have that checked, not good to let that go.  Good luck.

Had surgery yesterday ... she excised a mass from my tonsil by local anesthesia and now the waiting game for biopsy.  I thought it would be done quickly with laser then cauterized.  Unfortunately,  I gagged and choked as she used scissor-like instruments and large gauze balls as she yelled increasingly louder "relax your tongue!".  I really seriously wonder if anyone would be able to control the gag response under those circumstances.  It's like not flinching if something is coming at your eye, impossible.  The nurse moved the hairnet away from my ear, did she think I couldn't hear the doctor?  I thought I was in hell.  I'm left with the world's worst sore throat, crushed Vicadin in a spoon of yogurt doesn't touch it.  I'm looking forward to being able to swallow again some day.  Thanks for listening.

• Annabella58
    edited October 2010

good lord, you poor thing...I cannot even begin to imagine why they would not knock you out for that one!

Cauterizing is now done routinely for tonsils as the healing process is much quicker, but the pain is way worse.  Here's hoping your healing is really fast and the biopsy negative!

"Relax your tongue" indeed.  Good grief, while they are choking you to death?

Feel better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2010

YOUCH!!!! and GAG!!!! Probably doctors ran the torture chambers in medieval times!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited October 2010

Hi Sharon and Anniealso, thank you for the lovely note. Still reading all posts when I can.

Again, you gals are great!!

Hugs,

• Julia257
    edited October 2010

Thank you so much Annie and Ruth, your kind words mean so much to me.  Picture that cartoon where the dentist/doctor and team have the patient pinned down in the chair, her arms and legs flailing in the air, while he yanks out the tooth/tonsil with his pliers.  I can laugh about it now!

Have a wonderful weekend A Team!

• Annabella58
    edited October 2010

You too sweetie.  I am glad you are feeling better.  And that those tonsils are out, now.

xoxo

• ruthbru
    edited October 2010

Eat ice cream for medicinal purposes all weekend (soothes the throat!).

• Julia257
    edited October 2010

Thank you again.  Absolutely, Edy's strawberry frozen yogurt and you are making me feel so much better.  My Oncologist called me out of the blue, never happened before and I was floored.  He wasn't aware of the recent event, just called to see how I was, although I don't understand why he didn't see that I have an appt with him on Wed.  Anyway, I now have to take back all the bad things I said about him and forgive him for his mistakes.  Caring makes the world go round.  Luv you guys!

• sue_profit1942
    sue_profit1942 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2010

Hi Roxy,

I've been on Arimidex for 10 months now and agree the joint and muscle pain are the worst! Also have trouble sleeping and the hot flashes during the night don't help either. I take two Tylonal PM at night and it really helps me stay asleep all night. I take the Arimidex in the morning. Sometimes during the day I take a Motrin 800 for the muscle and joint aches, but if I get off my duff and do some exercise or go for a walk, it does help with the stiffness and aches.

My question to others out there in Cancer Survivor Land is this: Who has taken the Arimidex for 5 years and been cancer free the longest? I'm willing to do the 5 years if it really does help keep the cancer away, but I'm looking for some encouragement from other survivors!!!!!

• Medigal
    Medigal Member Posts: 183
    edited October 2010

Hi Roxy:  I am going on 6 years with Arimidex and still think I am surviving.  The first 5 years were a breeze for me but I notice the 6th year seems to be harder.  I am worried about the "memory" problem which the cancer society posted recently has been found to be the same as Chemo brain. I am going to have to work on not being forgetful.  The Vaginal Atophy worries me the most because I have no idea at the end of 10 years how strivaled up I will be in that area or if it will cause great pain. I am on Nitrofurantoin 50 mg daily for the pain but worried about what it can still do to my internal organs or what is left of them.  Otherwise I seem to be coping ok and would like to continue on if things don't get worse.  My latest bone density was fine and I had a negative mammogram so ONC is very confident.  I just don't trust the mammograms!  I want to discuss my concerns with him next visit in November.  Hope this helps.

• Medigal
    edited October 2010

Hi Roxy:  I am going on 6 years with Arimidex and still think I am surviving.  The first 5 years were a breeze for me but I notice the 6th year seems to be harder.  I am worried about the "memory" problem which the cancer society posted recently has been found to be the same as Chemo brain. I am going to have to work on not being forgetful.  The Vaginal Atophy worries me the most because I have no idea at the end of 10 years how strivaled up I will be in that area or if it will cause great pain. I am on Nitrofurantoin 50 mg daily for the pain but worried about what it can still do to my internal organs or what is left of them.  Otherwise I seem to be coping ok and would like to continue on if things don't get worse.  My latest bone density was fine and I had a negative mammogram so ONC is very confident.  I just don't trust the mammograms!  I want to discuss my concerns with him next visit in November.  Hope this helps.

• Annabella58
    edited October 2010

Suzanne, have you tried vitamin D?  I hobbled around like a 90 year old, and got my levels tested.  They were very low end of "normal" (32) and my GP added me Vit D3 up to 2,000 ius daily.

I can now walk down stairs, run up them, get out of cars, to me, it's been a miracle.

What is disturbing is that NO ONE told me to check my D levels.  If not for you ladies on here, I would not have known to do it.

I do agree with the ice cream cure.  Even kids on the hosptial are told "now you can have all the ice cream you want.........." after tonsils.

xoxo

• Annabella58
    edited October 2010

...oops, didn't see you there medi gal...I've had amazing success with vaginal atrophy by doing Kegels like a freak and something that you can get online, called "Very Personal" lubricant.

My onc nixxed any and all forms of estrogen, even the trace creams, but this stuff has the old works working again.  Also added Rephresh for PH, tho the very Personal stuff is also PH balanced and safe for post surgical status.

Good luck

• Medigal
    edited October 2010

anniealso:  That Kegels you use, does it do the same thing for vaginal atrophy that Replens does? I am not looking for a lubricant for the same reasons some of you young gals are, I just want to protect my private parts from getting so atophied that I may end up with pain I can't control with the Nitrofurantoin I am taking.  Thanks for any info.

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2010

Medigal, "Nitrofurantoin" is an antibiotic:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000640

http://www.medicinenet.com/nitrofurantoin/article.htm

According to those websites, it's used to treat or prevent urinary tract infections.  I know UTI's can become more common once menopause has set in.  Is that why you're on it?  I guess I don't understand why it would be used to control pain, unless the pain was due to a UTI.

Just wondering...

otter

• sue_profit1942
    sue_profit1942 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2010

Annie,

Thanks for the advice about Vitamin D. I'll start it right away. Did you find any help for the hot flashes with Arimidex?