Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited September 2009

I just took my first dose of Arimidex. Two weeks free from all the se's of Femara I am feeling pretty darn good and my blood pressure is back to normal. I am anticipating some se's but hope the blood pressure problem is not one of them. I am armed with all the supplements recommended by everyone Femara and maybe since I have continued they will help.                                      

I have read all the posts and must admit you ladies are a fountain of knowledge and a big help for this "rookie". At 59 years old I am feeling like I have totally lost control over my life but seem to finding my way back with the comments and advice I have found here.

Thank you to all of you

dx april 2009 /lumpectomy margins not clear/partial mastectomy and SNB    RADS and boosts

• chiquita
    chiquita Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2009

Thank you lady's...I went to my Dr. on Friday and he think is not from Arimidex, must be from some allergic reaction from any other medication...I was a little depress and disappointed not getting a response to my question...thank you again....

• KathyNSW
    KathyNSW Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2009

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me with my question.

Can you take DIM with arimidex?

Thankyou in advance.

Take care

Kathy

• ChrisMc
    ChrisMc Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2009

Thanks for the info everyone, Must of gotten lucky, I purchased Nature's Way supplement, and have started with one a day also started vit e.

What is the problem with soy, I've read your posts and everyone is concerned with soy but I don't know why, I took soy when I was going through the change for hot flashes because I refused to take HRT.

Thanks again everyone

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited September 2009

The issue is that soy raises estrogen levels.   That's why it works for menopausal symptoms. But if we are ER+ and on Arimidex we are trying to lower estrogen levels.

I just realized my Calcium supplement has soy in it!  Finally read the fine print on the bottle.  Why in the world does it contain soy?    So I am on the search for a no-soy calcium supplement with Vitamin D.

Best wishes.

Pam 

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited September 2009

OMG - I went to check my vitamins and there is soy in my calcium supplement as well as in my One a Day (Women's) vitamin.......let me know if you find a non soy calcium supplement. This is frightening to realize that soy is in almost everything we eat.....and if it's not organic the soy is probably genetically modified as well........

• DENTHOMAS
    DENTHOMAS Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2009

I don't know why everyone is so afraid of soy. Read Dr Susan Love's Breast book, the chapter about soy. Soy is not bad for you it is a cancer fighter. It is different than HRT and isn't harmful if taken correctly.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited September 2009

My Omega-3 Fish Oil is by Nature's Bounty (think in earlier post I said Natures Made).  It is 1000 mg containing anchovy, mackerel and sardines.  Has no soy.  Label recommends 3 a day but I've only been taking 1 in the evening. 

My Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc with D3 is by Nature Made and I take 1 in the morning and 2 in the evening as the calc/mag/zinc has only 33% daily value per tablet.  It contains no soy.

I take Daily Multiple Vitamin for women 50+.  It is CVS brand and contains no soy.

Since I'm reading the labels to type this I may cut back on the Calcium by one tablet as the daily vitamin has enough calcium, magnesium and zinc to cover that third pill.

• vashti55
    vashti55 Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2009

Chiquita

I am glad that you found an answer about your question.  I will try to reply in the future even if I don't have any info.  It is a bummer when there isn't any sort of reply.  I apologize.

KathyNSW

I don't know what DIM is either.

• patoo
    edited September 2009

From Google - DIM is a supplement  supposed to normalize estrogen in men and women.  It's a supplement to support lean body mass in weight training.  More:  "Because of the hormone balancing benefits... you'll get more out of your strength training and bodybuilding programs - more support for increased lean muscle and improved physical conditioning" (C&P from google website).

Aside from that I can't comment on it's effects when combined with Arimides.  Any thoughts someone?

Chiquita, keep in mind the doctors rarely say Arimidex causes problems.  I would go with JO's idea and try and eliminate other things you are ingesting and if you still have the problem go back to your Onc and let him/her know the problem persists.

• chiquita
    chiquita Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2009

Thank you PATOO, VASHTI55, JO-5 and all others for your support...

The only think I am ingesting more is asparagus, I never had it before and after my chemo I try eating it and loved I have a bunch every weak...my be I will try to stop that and see.

Thank you all again. xoxox

• KathyNSW
    edited September 2009

Thankyou everyone who responded to my question.

Yes it is supposed to normalize estrogen in the body.

I did take it when on tamoxifen, but I don't think I will

worry about it Now on arimidex.

There is a thread on it here on breastcancer.org.

Thankyou again everyone.

Take care

Kathy

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited September 2009

A nurse that I know told me that your body can only metabolize 500 mg of calcium at one time. I take 3/day but in divided doses.

My CVS brand fish oil is made up of sardines and anchovies and has no soy. My CVS Vitamin D also has no soy, as well as the CVS oyster shell Calcium +D.  I couldn't find the regular calcium. 

• Sukiann
    Sukiann Member Posts: 88
    edited September 2009

Chiquita, asparagus is VERY good for you!!  My mom told me to buy cans of it (for when it's not in season) and eat it all the time.  I can't remember why she said I should be eating it (still have chemo brain!!) but I just googled the benefits of it and there are a ton (it even helps chemo work better!)  Here's the link:

http://healthmad.com/alternative/health-benefits-of-asparagus/

The only problem is that it makes your pee smell (sorry so graphic!!).  Funny side effect!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited September 2009

A friend sent me an e-mail recently about the benefits of asparagus in fighting cancer.  Some people swear by it.  One recommendation was to buy the canned.  Chop or puree it and take tablespoons every day.  I tend to be skeptical of most miraculous cure alls.  If the American Cancer Society or MD Anderson or another clinic in the same category came out with such a recommendation, I'd be more inclined to give it a try. 

• Sukiann
    edited September 2009

The good thing about asparagus is that it can't harm you if you eat it everyday so I'm gonna give it a try (even if my pee smells, he,he!)

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2009

ASPARAGUS?!? EWWW! How can you eat trees? I have never been able to eat it so guess I'm out of this discussion.  It took me a long while before eating broccilli too so maybe there is hope for me. My taste buds have changed alot in this last year. And if it helps with arthritis I'm all for it. Still achy but moving and hoping everything will fall in place. I'd rather have pain than bc. The arimidex will also cause restless leg syndom. Another thing for us to worry about. I take 600 mg of ibuprofen before bed each night and that seems to help. Have a great day. Joy

• KathyNSW
    edited September 2009

Thankyou Jo-5 .

I am not going to take anything with the arimidex.

Take care

Kathy

• patoo
    edited September 2009

Chiquita, agree with JO - perhaps asparagus is good, don't know, but one size does not fit all and maybe it's not for you.  Since you recently added it to your eating habits it would be a good idea to stop and see if you notice a difference.

Sobx - guess you don't do brussels sprouts, huh? 

I love asparagus - never bent over to see if my pee smelled though (and don't plan to start sniffing now!)

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2009

patoo - good guess! Little cabbage heads rate up there with the "trees". I just started eating cooked cabbage in the last few years. I'm not a green eater but give me some good ole jersey corn!!

• Sukiann
    edited September 2009

Ok, back to the arimidex.  Joints are feeling better but they still hurt like heck.  My hand always fall asleep at night and feel like giant paws when I wake up (they just feel really big when they are asleep for some reason - know what I mean?).  I've just had it with this breast cancer.  I just want it to go away!!!  I'm done with my treatment (chemo and radiation are done) but being on this arimidex keeps the cancer fresh in my mind because of the side effects. Not only that, I had to watch my cousin's kids on friday afternoon so she could go to the wake of a dear friend that passed away on last tuesday night from you guess - breast cancer. That really hit home and threw me for a loop.  Then, on saturday I walked in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Boston (with 44 of my friends - they formed a team for me!!) and today I saw in the paper the obit for a woman who died on saturday (the day of the race) from bc too.  Both these woman were about my age (45).  Not only that, but I spent the whole morning on the phone with a very good friend from my church who was just diagnosed with lymphoma of the nasal cavity (she's 42).  Everywhere I turn there's cancer!!  Every step I take my joints hurt to remind me of the cancer!  Ok, enough venting.  Just got my new 90 day supply of arimidex in the mail today.  At least we have something to help fight this disease unlike my poor friend with the lymphoma who's prognosis doesn't seem very good.

BTW, found this on the net about the asparagus smell.  Patoo, you must be one of the people who don't react to the aspargus!  

http://www.greenworks.tv/askgreenworks/asparagus.htm

• mellodylane
    mellodylane Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2009

Hi everyone I was so happy to find his site as many others are so depressing regarding Arimidex se

I am a 6 year survivor had surgery, chem, radiation but refused Tamoxifen as I figured I had had enough chemicals, At around 4 years during an examination my surgeon found 2 new lumps and they did tests and found they were strong estrogen positive so was placed on Arimidex and now have been using for over 2 years, bad news is my onc feels I may never come off it as the cancer had already returned, but the good news is I dont really have any effect from it. I use various herbal supplements which I was advised to take before starting chemo and have been taking ever since. (though I did use a dim product and in my opinion that it why my cancer returned as it was giving me too much estroegen) stopped taking when new lumps appeared. I dont eat meat and try and eat organic products where possible. have the occasional red wine and use organic personal products eg makeup etc. What I do know is though it takes you body a while to recover from the chemo mine was definately joint trouble and took me a good few months to recover so maybe the arimidex is being blamed in a few people for something else I try and exercise everyday treadmill, and yoga plus the odd day of weights. occasionaly my thumb hurts and I think he we go its started but the next day it is fine. I am also a big vege juice person only using organic veges expecially beetroot and celery, the celery is supposedly good for joints. My only concern is that they want me to have very regular scans (clear so far) but I do wonder if they may contribute to cancer returning and have not decided what to do about my next one. 

So yes as far as I'm concerned I am probably still here because of the arimidex and me trying to take control of my life as well. As i said before some forums are very depressing and I nearly decided to stop taking it just in case it affected me! 

• carolehalston
    edited September 2009

Mellodylane, sounds like you are being very proactive in living a healthy lifestyle.  Hope the good diet regimen and exercise pay off.  Taking charge is a big boost mentally and spiritually.  Good luck to you!

• Sukiann
    edited September 2009

JO - thanks for the tip on the massage.  My Mom actually suggested some sort of massage.  My hands are numb for only a few minutes - they wake up after I get up, I think trying to shut off the alarm clock works out the pins and needles!  Yes, they are swollen.  I am never going to get my rings off.  I'm not even going to try because I know I will start to panic if I move them near my joint.  Have you ever had this happen to you?  I'd probably end up in the emergency room and they'd have to load me up with ativan. 

mellodylane - yes, the arimidex is supposed to be excellent at stopping the cancer from growing.  I know I tend to blame everything on it but I do know it has caused at least some of my problems.  I'm continuing on because I know it's what I have to do. I'm trying to stay positive and eat healthy too!

• progerson
    progerson Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2009

I have been on Aromasin for 3 months and was having severe hand pain and depression so my doctor told me to stay off it for two weeks.  He said he could put me on Arimidex.  I had an Onco-dx score of 12.  Does anyone know if any of these therapies are necessary?

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2009

From what I hear the hormone therapies are extremely effective with ER+ bc. They decrease the risk of recurrence greatly. I'm on Arimidex. So far (after 6 weeks) the se's are very manageable. I was very depressed before starting the Arimidex so I don't think I can blame my depression on the drug.

• MariaG
    MariaG Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2009

Was on Femara, but had many SEs.  Have been off it for a month, started ARimidex today.  Hope I do better with this one! 

• carolehalston
    edited October 2009

Tomorrow will be 2 wks on Arimidex, and already the little white pills have made me feel my age or older.  I awaken in the morning with muscle aches and a sense of "just not feeling good" that is completely unfamiliar.  This morning I got out of bed and took 4 ibuprofen with a glass of milk.  Before bc, I was almost pain-free and had lots of energy at age 66.  I attribute much of that feeling good to lifestyle--regular exercise and sensible diet and weight control--and also to HRT.  Not long after stopping HRT at the end of June, I started experiencing some minor aches and pains, but nothing like now, after only 14 days of Arimidex.  I call it the Medicine from Hell.

I'll stick with it for now and work at dealing with the SEs.  But I'm not willing to follow a treatment plan for 5 yrs. to extend life if it means a poor life quality.  My tumor was small at 1.2 cm.  I had no node involvement, and my oncotype dx was 9. 

Good luck to all of us on the little white pill.Yell

• carolehalston
    edited October 2009

Jo, thanks for the pep talk!  I, too, wonder about the 5 yr. treatment period.

I've decided to experiment with taking the Arimidex at different times of the day.  I started off taking it in the morning.  Beginning tomorrow, I'll begin taking it at noon and continue with that schedule for at least a week.  The day the NP gave me the script, she suggested that night time might be best, but I read on this thread that taking the pill at night caused a lot of women to experience difficulty sleeping. 

It's true that nothing about breast cancer is easy or fun.

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    edited October 2009

Carole- I agree with Jo about the importance of taking it.......... I also had a low onco score ( 6 ) and mine was a grade 1 but feel I want to do all I can to prevent it from returning. Maybe in a few more weeks the symptoms with level off a bit for you. At least that is what they told me often happens at my onc's. Take mine at 6 pm and so far have not had any sleep issues. Good luck with your se's being less and less as time goes on. You are sooooooooooooooo right................. NOTHING about BC is fun or easy. Thankful we all have each other!