Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• mellodylane
    mellodylane Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2009

In relation to the glucosamine I read an article that there are 2 types glucosamine sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride apparently the sulfate version is more tolerable, when I checked all the different types I was only able to find one brand at my local shops that was sulfate it actually is the one I have been taking . Just a thought may help some people.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2009

Mellodylane, yes, thanks.  The one I have now is hydrocloride but over the years I could have taken either one since I never knew.  But I have only had good results, or so I thought.  My hip pain came back after a few months on the Arimidex.  It doesn't seem to be easing any so maybe I'll switch to the other to see if that helps. 

Also having big issues with my right knee (same side as bad hip) and seeing ortho doc on Friday.  Can only go up and down stairs one step at a time.   Can't say I'm blaming it on Arimidex though.  Never know if it's the meds or age!  < sigh >

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited October 2009

hi arimiladies!

I've been on this stuff for almost a year now.  My onc nixxed my fish oil caps for Omega 3s I was taking and within 6 weeks, I have terrible knee and hip pains now, so bad I can no longer work out!

I can't take glucosamine (allergic to shellfish), but I take 1200-1500 mg. calcium and 1000 D3 and a multi daily.

Anybody have any ideas here?  My dexa showed osteopenia, and I am very small boned so i don't suppose that is helping any. :(.

Oh, forgot to mention: he nixxed any and all soy/flax phytoestrogenic things also.  Wow I miss that fish oil!!! (Omega 3s are a source of phytoestrogens too, all things have it, but some in excess and new research has shown it as an issue for us ER+ ladies.)

Argh.  Always something.  I know exercise helps and I was d oing an hour daily, but now i cannot , I can hardly walk!!  Should I begin again but gently?

xoxo

• patoo
    edited October 2009

Okay, now that is bad news as many of us take Fish Oil Omega 3s.  Do you know where the research is from? 

Also, a few posts back noted that not all glucosamine is shellfish based.  Mine, hydrochloride, does have a shellfish warning so maybe the glucosamine sulfate is not? 

Also, also, JO (I think it was my twin) posted that pure cherry juice may help with joint pain.  I have yet to look for it but you may check into that.

Have to go back to an earlier signature:  The more I learn, the less I know!   <  sigh  >

• Sukiann
    Sukiann Member Posts: 88
    edited October 2009

I just picked up the cherry juice yesterday but haven't tried it yet.  How much do I drink a day?  Jo???  Joints are hurting again.  I keep thinking I've found the cure and then it starts up again!  I don't think I would ever know if it was mets because I hurt most of the time!  Just put out all my pills for the day and dh (took the day off!) couldn't believe how many I take. Yes, I feel like an old lady.  I need one of those pill cases for each day of the week! 

Annie, did your onc suggest anything for the joint pain?

Anyone having shooting pains in arm (starts from elbow and goes to wrist) happens at night.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

CAROLEH,

You were talking about hands swelling... well, not my hands, but my feet are!!!  I have always had unattractively skinny feet with skinny toes.  A few days ago I had on a pair of sandals and my feet were all plumped out.  I thought maybe it was from long ride in the car but they seem to be staying this way.  I've never had this happen before and think it must be from the Arimidex... it is the only prescription drug I take.  (Calcium W. Vit D and Glucosamine OTC)  

As long as it stays in the feet I am okay with it.  So far no weight gain but we watch our diet very closely.  My husband is pre-diabetic and it is easier when the motivation is for your spouse :)  I guess I could try a diuretic to see if it helped?  But just another pill to take.  Will wait to see what happens.

My hot flashes actually seem to be more frequent the last few evenings, to the point of breaking out in drippy sweats that last only 2-3 minutes.  Then I am chilled.  Nice :(

Pam 

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

oh no!  I get a lot of heartburn and I'll probably get it with the cherry juice.  I'll try it anyway.  I take a pepcid everday so maybe that will stop it from happening to me.  Cherry juice I'm sure is very acidic.  What a pain!   I'll let ya all know if it works for me.

• ChrisMc
    ChrisMc Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2009

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you gals know I have learned more on this thread than my onc ever told me, so Thanks everyone. Another thing don't remember who suggested the Vit E for hot flashes, but I've been taking it for 2 weeks now and they are much improved. Only an ocassional one, so much better.,( but then it could be mind therapy). I'm pretty lucky as far as the aches & pains go, not to bad can manage them with advil.

Thanks again Grils

• mellodylane
    edited October 2009

Hi again even the Glucosamine Sulfate is made from shell fish but apparently it is more tolerable to take, eg not to much bloating etc. On the Vit E I read  the e caps are made from soybean oil and have checked with a local chemist who is ging to try and found one that isnt so far no luck !! I have stopped taking them for that reason.

• ChrisMc
    ChrisMc Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2009

Not sure about my Vit E but will check when I get home.

Thanks,

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,079
    edited October 2009

Dh and I are trying the cherry juice, 4 oz a day.  If it helps us, I'll buy some for my mother who has osteoarthritis.  She's 87. 

Met another bc survivor on the golf course today.  Her dx (DCIS, 1.5 cm) was in 2005 at age 60.  She chose lumpectomy, had radiation and 4 rounds of chemo.  Her onc. prescribed Arimidex and she said the SEs were worse than chemo so she didn't stay on it. 

I have been taking fish oil caps and glucosamine/chondroitin for years, also calcium w/D.  Began taking 75 mg Effexor immediately after dx 3 mos. ago to help with SEs of halting HRT.  Hard to tell what might or might not be helping with Arimidex SEs.  My stamina is definitely not up to par, but I had major surgery on 7/24/09 so that could be a factor.  For now I'll continue taking the little white pill.  The SEs are bearable so far.

• mellodylane
    edited October 2009

The problem with the Vit e caps is that is not what they say its what they dont say! all the ones we checked just say D-alpha -tocopherol etc but leave out the source. it was only by someone on here saying she had been using it for radiation scarring (which I also used, I opened a capsule every day and it really worked) that she found out it was soyabean oil that I thought I would look in to it.I will be ringing one of the suppliers today to ask them direct.

• mellodylane
    edited October 2009
    Just phoned the company Blackmores was told straight out that it is derived from soy. When I told her that I was estrogen positive and avoid all soy products she said that she thought that the way it was processed should not be an issue and will found out the properties after manufacturing and will get back to me.Surprised
  • Sukiann
    edited October 2009

I asked my radiation oncologist about this (as I was the one who read the label on the vitamin e oil capsulse).  She told me not to worry about it.  Didn't really think anything of it being from soy.  She was the one who told me to stay away from soy.  I would have avoided putting it on me as I would think it would sink into the skin but she said it's not a problem.  Very confusing.  I'm not going to worry about it because there is nothing I can do about it now anyway.  Plus, if she said fagetaboutit, then I'm gonna!  I've got other things to worry about! 

• patoo
    edited October 2009

Sukiann, that's right, fagetaboutit - we cannot change what is in the past.  We learn from it and go on.  Dwelling in the past only causes ulcers and we don't need that added to bc. 

• mellodylane
    edited October 2009

I guess what I am saying has nothing to do with the past it is the future I am thinking about it as a person who takes Vit E internally I am confused whether to continue or not. I agree I can not do anything about the fact that I used  Vit E oil everyday for 6 weeks either but that was 6 years ago. It was just the fact that the soy side of it came to my attention.

• patoo
    edited October 2009

Sorry, I was only thinking of the 6-week time period during rads.  Of course you have to consider the soy you are ingesting.  Especially since there still is no reliable answer about our intake of soy.  It's just so frustrating and conflicting statements from docs don't help.

• O3132W
    O3132W Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2009

Add my voice to the frustration on the issue of to soy or not to soy.  My Med Onc. instructed me to start taking 2000 calcium and 1500 vit D.  She did not say anything about soy but I have read so many ladies on this site who say not to consume any soy in spite of the fact that everything has soy.  I have spent hours trying to find calcium citrate without soy on the internet and found some.  I was at Walmart today and found Equate, 120 pills for $6.  I called the telephone number on the product and was assured no soy. 

I also found info that we also have to be conscience  to consume our calcium at least 2 hours before or after certain foods and certain prescriptions.  I had planned to smash my citrates and add the powder to my warm cream of wheat made from whole wheat, but just found out that whole wheat hampers absorbtion of calcium as do some precriptions.     

Could they make this seemingly simple task of taking calcium along with vit. D any more confusing? Why are the Calcium pills are too large to swallow ?   Even with applesauce I choke.

My pharmasist tells me to ask my Dr.for info and my Dr. tells me to check with my pharmasist.  I am beginning to think no one knows any answers.  What to do if we are ER+. It is hard to find any OTC pills without soy.  I take that pretty serious but I am starting to think that I am the only one who does.  Good luck to us all.  Cathey from Indiana

• mellodylane
    edited October 2009

I also take it very seriously as my cancer actually returned after 4 years just outside my rad line and is very strong estrogen positive, I am always looking for ways that I might have caused it to come back probably nothing at all to do with anything except I refused hormonal treatment the first time who knows maybe that is it but I refuse to just ingest any old thing without knowing more about it. I try and control what I eat as much as I can obviously not always possible but if I can I will.

Didnt mean to get so serious but thats how I handle my journey I am actually quite nice really!Kiss

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2009

This is such a challenge ... so many things "hidden" in our foods. I'm doing ok with the cherry juice. My calcium has soy so I will be switching brands. I take 1 tsp of fish oil every day .. it's not a capsule and it doesn't contain any soy. I learn so much from all of you.

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

Hi again.  I just checked my calcium supplement.  It's Citracal and it comes in petite size so that the pills are easier to swallow.  It doesn't have soy in it (didn't see any on the label). 

Also, are any of you having problems with your urinary tract?  Every once and awhile I get this kind of burning.  I think I may not be drinking enough water to flush out my system.  When I get this feeling (when urinating) I drink lots of water and it goes away.  I was just wondering if anyone else ever gets this.  I am attributing it to the arimidex because it didn't happen when I was doing chemo and it has persisted sinces rads.

• O3132W
    O3132W Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2009

Sakiann and Jo-5:   I read your offerings with interest.  One comment you might want to know.  the Equate is the walmart generic for Citracal.  It says on the top of the front label "Compare to Citracal" ingredients.  Equate costs only $6.00 which is much less than citracal.  I did call the 800 telephone on the bottle and was assured it contained no soy.  I would be interested in any research on this matter.

If you would look on www.nof.org/prevention/calcium2.htm you will find an interesting article from the National Osteoporosis Foundation that provides lots of good information on calcium supplements.  It tells that Calcium absorption is interfered with if taken with oxalate in foods  Then google  oxalate and you will find list of foods that interfere with the absorption of calcium.  

HRF:  I agree with you that so much is hidden and without sounding paranoid I think most of it is intentional.  Ingredients are so complicated with these long words could very well be a substance that we who take such things seriously find ourselves consuming harmful products.   Perhaps we can help each other when we find out these secrets, pass it on and protect each other.   I guess that is the main purposes of this board.  Good luck to all of us.  Cathey from Indiana

• Blarney1828
    Blarney1828 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2009

I have been taking AArimidex pre-surgery to shrink tumor. After 3 months, it has stopped working and there has been no discernible shrinkage in 6 weeks. Any suggestions?

• rreynolds1
    rreynolds1 Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2009

I am sure you discussed this with your surgeon.  Others have had chemo or radiation prior to surgery to shrink the tumor.  This is really a question for your surgeon.  I'm sure he/she has another option available.  Good luck.

Roseann

• mellodylane
    edited October 2009

Blarney

I agree with everyone you should speak to your onc but just to let you know that I started Arimidex to shrink 3 lumps on the outside of my breast  they didnt want to surgically remove them as they said they are a window to what is happening but at first they shrank very quickly then slowed down and at my last visit my onc said that the remaining lumps are now just scar tissue. I can still feel them but they are not worried. everyone is different so please get professional advice.

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

Wow!  I had no idea that arimidex was capable of shrinking tumors.  I thought it was given to us so that new cancers didn't have any "fertilizer" (estrogen).  It's that powerful??

• patoo
    edited October 2009

I'm also surprised at the thought of giving Arimidex to shrink tumors.  I don't think we've heard that anywhere here before?  I can see it not contributing to further growth of a tumor because it's not feeding it estrogen but to shrink it - wow!  Actually, that would be good news to those of us who take it and it could make sense that that's why it helps to stave off recurrence.

• Sukiann
    edited October 2009

yup, I just googled it and it does (and of course we believe you Mellodylane).  I hate the stuff but I am determined to continue with it.  I'm having a hot flash right as type!  Anyone with the urinary pain I asked about a few posts up?  It's gone because I drank some water and cranberry juice.  I'm gonna continue to blame the arimidex for EVERYTHING! 

• mellodylane
    edited October 2009

Thank goodness for Google! maybe you could all ask your oncs as well.

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited October 2009

Today I met with my oncologist expecting to make plans to start chemo.  He had already suggested neo adjuvant chemo for my BC but we had a delay waiting on confirmation that a spot on my scapula was negative.  Unfortunately today he told me to his surprise and my sobbing shock, that there was evidence of cancer cells in the biopsy.  Enough about that.

He now is suggesting that I start with Arimidex to shrink the tumor and hopefully get rid of them.  I am receiving treatment at MD Anderson Cancer treatment center in Houston. So I'm confident I'm in good hands but of course going against the norm can be scary.  He also asked if I would be interested in participating in a clinical study that my profile and cancer fit,  to determine whether Arimidex combined with an FDA med called Avandamet (a diabetic drug though I'm not diabetic) would accomplish the reduction and remission of my cancer more effectively than Arimidex alone.  He said it was an endocrinological approach.

I have not had surgery, chemo or rads.  I was dx on 9/1.  I had come to the conclusion that his recommendation to do chemo before surgery was something of a growing approach with researchers though obviously not typical.  I had decided I was ok to go that way.  But this......This is a radical approach no doubt.  I will be trying to make my decision this week.