Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited April 2010

Thank you Jessamine for the maple syrup and cinnamon tips.  I will try it out in a cookie recipe as soon as I either find one or figure out how to modify my current one.

I know everyone worries about cholesterol - but is there actually a scientifically proven link between heart disease and cholesterol?

• C130sunshine
    C130sunshine Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2010

Balsi/Molly52 - Here is the web site for Larabar.  I get them at the Nugget/Raleys.  You can also order them on line at: www.larabar.com (but it tends to be more expensive).  The Walmart I live by even has a couple of flavors.  There is NO added anything...one of my favoorite is "cherry pie" - it only has dates, almonds and unsweetedend chrries.

I am also trying to give up refinded sugar but it as been difficult. 

• Don2cypup
    Don2cypup Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010

@JO-5

your quote in regards to Arimidex side effects:

"We mostly hear on here from the ones that have a lot of se's or severe ones. There are thousands that never have any to speak of "

If you could kindly cite where the support of that statement orignates from, I would be most heartened to review it..

I have been most recently diagnosed with BC, am postmenopausal..

My Oncologist prescribed Arimidex..I have seen close to 1,000 negatives remarks made about adverse effects, but NEVER have I heard/read of thousands who never suffered from any at all..

thank you for any feedback, JO-5

Kind Regards;

Don2cypup

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited April 2010

The lists below are the most common side effects with percentages.  For more information go to this link.  http://breast-cancer.emedtv.com/arimidex/arimidex-side-effects.html

In these studies, the most common Arimidex side effects included:  

• Hot flashes -- in up to 36 percent of people
    • Nausea -- up to 20 percent
    • Weakness or fatigue -- up to 19 percent
    • Mood disturbances -- up to 19 percent 
    • Headaches -- up to 18 percent
    • Arthritis -- up to 17 percent
    • Pain -- up to 17 percent
    • Joint pain -- up to 15 percent
    • Sore throat -- up to 14 percent
    • Nausea and vomiting -- up to 13 percent 
    • Bone pain -- up to 12 percent.

Other common side effects of Arimidex (occurring in 8 to 11 percent of people) included:

Back pain Cough Difficulty breathing Osteoporosis Accidental injury Broken bones Insomnia (see Arimidex and Insomnia) Swelling or water retention in the arms or legs Abdominal pain (stomach pain) Constipation Diarrhea High cholesterol (see Arimidex and High Cholesterol) Infections Weight gain (see Arimidex and Weight Gain) Breast pain Dizziness Urinary tract infection (bladder infection or UTI) Loss of appetite.
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,470
    edited April 2010
    This is not scientific but, I have 5 personal friends who live in my same (small) town, all of us on Arimidex. None of us have had significant problems (most started out with some hot flashes that have diminished with time, and most with some achiness which is improved by exercise). I'm the only one who goes online at all (either I have more time on my hands or just like the interchange Undecided). It just makes sense that people who would be having problems with any particular treatment would be the ones most likely to be reaching out with questions and concerns.
  • sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited April 2010

I have to jump in here as I was complaining of hip pain which started a year before I was diagnosed with breast cancer in both breasts and before I started the dreaded Arimidex, which may, or may not, save my life. I am 62, but wicked immature for my age........

WELL....I spent Easter wk end at my daughter's house on one lovely  high plush comfy mattress and noticed no hip pain for 3 days in a row.   It is still gone! How does one explain that phenomenon? I have been digging in the yard (wish I had a recipe for dandelion wine), and applying BenGay at night (my new boyfriend) and am fine. UNBELIEVABLE! My onc told me that whether or not you have symptoms from the drug, it (unfortunately) does not tell you if the drug is working or not. I hope it is working. 

As JO says.........better than having the $%^$# cancer (note that I have not used caps on this demon) return.  Sue

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

Sue, what brand of mattress? Seriously........I am looking for a new mattress anyway!

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited April 2010

Sunflowers_ thanks! I'm nervous but I'll save that for the mx thread! My understanding, now, is that the agave has a very high glycemic response, comparable to corn syrup. BUt I don't have a source or remember where I got that info, sorry. I just feel like one day everyone was talking about how great Agave was, and then all of sudden everyone knew it was bad! But how? I'm not sure- but I do think it was confirmed for me by a friend who is a nutritionist.

Sorry for the confusing 2 conversations across each other, all!

• Ezscriiibe
    Ezscriiibe Member Posts: 139
    edited April 2010

Whew, with all those pages on no sugar and diets and no processed food, I thought for a minute I had wandered into the alternative forum.

But regarding the question as to where you can read the thousands of people with no or minimal Side Effects:

You likely can't. Why would they post or report it anywhere? They are off living their lives with little or minimal interruption.

It's human nature to complain when things go bad, and find ways and places to rant or unload the negative things (like side effects from drugs), but people who don't experience bad effects from things generally have nothing to talk about or share with anyone.

As someone upthread mentioned, there are more than just thousands of women taking these drugs, there are hundreds of thousands. The percentages that notself showed with the side effects are on par with similar or just as critical side effects from most any medications that are dispensed, including aspirin.

At some point one has to make their own decisions, but, as my mother has said repeatedly, why go looking for trouble?

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

For what it's worth, this is what I also think about SE:

1. some SE are truely that; SE from a particular drug or treatment (in this case Arimidex)

2. some things one may think are SE are just things that would happen to us anyway because we are having the priviledge of getting older

3. some getting older 'stuff' may be made more pronounced because of the lack of estrogen ; maybe you would have had hot flashes anyway, but they are worse because of arimdex etc.

4. some stuff just is your family history etc. For instance; my sleep is horrible, but it was before BC, and  my sister (who has never had BC) has even worse sleep issues, so I cannot blame that problem on arimdex at all, even though it is listed as a possible SE

That's all my words of wisdom for tonight Tongue out. Take Care All! Ruth

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2010

Ok I can honestly say that the no sugar or processed foods is working.....I am having less and less SE's .  It is very hard to do....everything has sugar in it....so I just have to limit and read lables.  

Warmly  Balsie

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited April 2010

If the previous posts haven't been convincing enough, here's more evidence that the majority of women on Arimidex don't have .  Go to this rxlist web page for "Arimidex" and click on the link that says, "Side Effects and Drug Interactions":  http://www.rxlist.com/arimidex-drug.htm

I can't cite anything that tells how many women have no adverse effects at all from Arimidex.  I do suspect that, given the many tens (hundreds?) of thousands of women taking the drug world-wide, there probably are some who are SE-free.  Yes, thousands, most likely, considering the overall numbers.

Based on the published literature on Arimidex -- the results of clinical trials, which I can cite here if someone really insists -- and on the information available about the drug on line, the majority of women taking Arimidex do not have serious SE's from it.  And, as Ruth pointed out, we might be blaming Arimidex for symptoms we would be having anyway because of natural menopause, age, or family history.

I hate it, though, when people minimize the SE's other people are having.  We aren't doing that here, I don't think.  We're just saying that women should not be fearful of taking that first pill, or expecting they'll be incapacitated by pain 24 hours later.  And, there are things we can do that seem to help reduce or even prevent the SE's.  Other SE's we just have to live with, but we manage, because we understand the impact Arimidex can have on our recurrence risk.

Hugs...

otter

• ananda8
    edited April 2010

The one SE that is not really discussed is thinning and drying of the vaginal wall which can make even a pelvic exam painful.  This SE did not appear for me until the second year.  It is important to tell one's gynecologist that he or she needs think about this before the examination. 

The other side effect that is not discussed is the absorption/disappearance of the inner labia.  I think this must be fairly rare since I am the only one who talks about it.  If there are others who have this side effect, I would like to know.  If more have this SE, we can report it to AstraZeneca.

Arimidex is still worth taking and we should be grateful that we have this drug.  Reporting side effects will make this drug better.  So many reported pain in the joints and muscles that AstraZeneca is now doing a randomized placebo controlled study on the affect of Vitamin D on Arimidex induced joint pain.

• sue-61
    edited April 2010

RUTHBRU, I was too weak to flip the mattress to see the brand. It was a big one, let me tell ya. I will have my son in law check it out for you and get back to you.  They own an Inn in Maine and have to have really nice mattresses and pillows, and also have the same in their home. The Inn is only open 6 mos of the yr.

On the funny side....or maybe not so funny for my dtr and son in law........people have been known to clip the pillows and leave cheap ones on the beds. I always thought I would LOVE to run a bed and breakfast but there are too many nutballs in this world that would want to stay in my B&B. I somehow attrack them all! 

I suspect they may have gotten the mattress in Biddeford, Maine. Are you up for some travel? Seriously, there is a mattress factory there and it is called .............wait for it............MAIDEN MAINE.  Those Mainers are pretty pretty clever.

Having a bee u ti ful new england day here and continue with my dandylion digging. Wish I had a still. Understand you need that to make wine from those pesky little creatures! 

Sue aka sleeping beauty. 

• sue-61
    edited April 2010

JO, and all, from what I understand about Vit D (and mine was low, altho I do tan in the summer but seldom wear my bathing suit in MA in the winter......please laugh)......Vit D helps you absorb the calcium that is sooooooo needed when post menopausal AND on Arimidex to prevent osteoporosis. Even tho my Vit D level was low, my bone density was off the charts.......very high. I guess I have fat bones to match my fat youknowwhat.

SUNFLOWERS, I don't understand the asthenia. I know what it means but..........I have a situation where, when I have been sitting too long (like in the car or out to dinner) and I stand up, I kind of have to stand for a minute or two to get my bearings. And I sometimes find myself walking like I just got off a horse. Is that what you mean?  And then sometimes I have no issues with my ambulation. I am kind of a klutz, but that was long before I started Arimidex. OH! And modeling school went really well this week......big smile here.  Sue

• otter
    edited April 2010

Oh, I forgot about my mattress question.

At home, we have a fairly old ... okay, really old -- Serta mattress.  It was high-quality in its day, but the surface is quite firm (not a pillow-top).  I used to love it.  Now, though, when I lie on my side I seem to have more pain in my shoulders and hips than expected.  It's almost as if the pressure against the mattress is telegraphed through all my bones and joints, and it hurts!

In contrast, we have a dense foam mattress (high-quality but unknown brand) on our boat.  It's maybe 6 inches thick and it's really firm, but not hard.  When I sleep on that mattress, I sink in just a bit at the bony places (just as you're supposed to do on a good foam mattress), and... voila!  I don't hurt in the morning.

So, that's my question.  Have any of you tried those high-quality foam mattresses (Tempur-Pedic?) to see if you would sleep more comfortably and soundly?  Are they worth the extra cost and hassle?  (I'm worried my hot flashes would be worse with all that foam around me.)

otter

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010
    I have had a tempur pedic type mattress (made by Serta) for quite awhile (pre-BC; as I said, I've had sleep issues for a LONG time & can't blame Arimidex for that problem anyway); really it has never made a difference in my sleep & my DH has never liked it at all & most often ends up sleeping in the guest room Frown. So I am wanting a new mattress, for sure. Are IKEA and Tempur pedic along the same line or totally different concepts? Maybe if I put 'memory foam' on top of my mattress???
  • ruthbru
    edited April 2010

Maybe I need memory foam on top of my memory foam............

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited April 2010

JO, I have trouble with pillows as well.  About how long does the tempurpedic pillow last?  Maybe I'll invest in one - can't hurt.

• sixcats
    sixcats Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010

Three weeks ago I finished my five years of Arimidex and stopped my Zolodex shots. I don't think my side effects were too bad. I kept telling myself that the alternative would be worse. I couldn't have chemo because I was born with a heart defect. Chemo probably would have killed me. I am happy to have read the literature that stated that the hormonal treatment is just as effective if not more so than chemo for hormonal positive cancer

I don't feel any better or worse now that I've stopped Arimidex and the monthly shots. I am almost 47 and am curious whether or not my periods will return or if I'll stay in menopause. I am hoping the latter.

For me, Arimidex and Zolodex worked out well. Unfortunately, everyone is different. You probably won't know unless you try. 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited April 2010

Congratulations sixcats! We all are  lucky to have Arimidex and the other AIs in spite of all our complaining. You are an inspiration. Laughing

pam 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited April 2010

YAY sixcats!   Glad you came through with minimal se's. 

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited April 2010

I kinda think for me this site is about learning from others..I learned that VIT D can give pseudo cholesterol readings. I learned some of you had tooth absesses. I use plural cause I had 2 at one time few months after starting arimidex...I have had couple of bladder infections recently My BP was elevated and yes I reported it to AZ as my doc said it quite probably a side effect, As someone said we do not know if all is caused by this med but we live and learn and pass it on..and others will learn from us..The operative word here is LIVE..to the fullest !!!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

Well said, Sharlene!

• ananda8
    edited April 2010

sixcats,

Congratulations on Five Years!  Well done!

• rreynolds1
    rreynolds1 Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2010

I gained 10 lbs in the first 6 months on Arimidex.  I was really nervous because my oncologist warned that this could be a side effect of the drug.  So.....I decided to write down everything I ate and exercise on my eliptical.  I dropped 2 lbs in the first week.  Then I joined Weight Watcher and have lost another 4.6 lbs.  My goal is to drop 25 more lbs. which will get me to my pre-menopause weight.  I am losing weight slowly but I am encouraged that it is not just the Arimidex.  I checked and found that only 9% of the women on Arimidex experience significant weight gain as a side effect.  I have no doubt that the drug makes weight loss more challenging.  My age (59) doesn't help either.  However, I had been making poor food choices and was not exercising at all.  I am controlling the things I can and accepting the things over which I have NO control.  Sounds like the 12 step!

Roseann

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2010

I'll admit, when I first read this post I got scared to take Arimidex. But the more I read and learn, I am not scared anymore. I wrote down alot of advice on things to do to help the side effects, and I thank you all for all the good suggestions. I start on Arimidex on Tues., so it's always in the back of my mind. I have the bottle sitting on my counter just waiting for me!

I also have a full untouched bottle of Tamoxifen that they originally prescribed to me and then told me not to take. I couldn't return it to the pharmacy. I wish I could give it to someone to use.

I am ready to dive in to the Arimidex rollercoaster!! Hopefully I have little or no effects. I have not been sleeping well after my ovary removal. I am getting hot flashes all night so I'm constantly awake throwing the covers off, then freezing and putting them back on. This goes on all night long and drives me nuts.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2010

Also you could ask you pharmacist if they can take it and give it away, in our state you can return unopened prescriptions and they can distibute them to those who can't afford their medications.

• otter
    edited April 2010

Re:  Weight gain on Arimidex.

I've been lucky, as usual.  I think I must have gained my quota of post-menopausal weight before I started taking Arimidex.  So, I was already familiar with that phenomenon of walking past the dessert table and gaining 3 pounds, versus working 30 minutes on the elliptical each day for a week and gaining only 2 pounds.  <sigh>

Since I've been on Arimidex (almost 2 years now), I haven't really gained any weight.  Haven't lost any, either; but I guess I should be optimistic about the stability.  Oh, my weight did fluctuate +/- about 6 pounds while I was getting chemo, but now I'm back to where I was pre-BC dx.

I just wish that, if my weight was going to remain stable, it would stick to where it was 7 years ago when I started into menopause.  My weight hasn't been that low since then except for one time, and that was because my Synthroid dose was a smidge too high.  :(

There have been quite a few articles written lately about the difficulty of losing, or even maintaining, weight, once we reach menopause.  Lots of writers warn that menopausal women tend to eat more calories and be less active; but, as many of us have discovered, it's not that simple.  IT'S THE METABOLISM, STUPID!!!

Here are links to 3 very good articles about the problem.  They all concede that menopausal women burn fewer calories with the same amount and intensity of exercise as younger women (with caloric intake being equal).  Basically, we put on fat more easily.  Duh!

The first link is a nice NYT piece.  The second is an "About.com" page that gives some potentially useful advice about what we can do to burn those calories more efficiently.  The third link is the Medscape.com article that started a lot of the discussion.  That third article is probably members-only, so you might have to register (free) with Medscape to access it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18exercise-t.html

http://exercise.about.com/od/healthinjuries/a/menopauseandweightgain.htm

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/704909

Anyway, it's kind of gratifying to know that it really isn't our fault -- it's not necessarily because we're eating more Snickers bars or sitting on the sofa more hours each day.  And, Arimidex is only partly to blame, and its effects are indirect.  It's not the fault of the drug itself -- it's the fault of the lower estrogen.  Many of us would have gained those pounds anyway, when our estrogen levels dropped naturally.  IMHO, Arimidex just made that happen more abruptly.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.  I'm also going to try to get more exercise.  Yes, I am.  Sure thing.  As soon as I turn off thise computer and get off my butt.

otter

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited April 2010

I am so grateful for the discussion of asthenia and general weakness. I have been complaining to my PCP and my oncologist about my lack of strength or power for 6 months. Their suggestions were to take a vitamin, eat more protein, nap, take xanax, among other things. No mention of possible SE of Arimidex! I was beginning to think I was developing a neurological disease! I have great endurance and can do most anything once I get pulled together and moving. But getting up from sitting a while, like in a restaurant, is embarrassing. We have one door in our house that sticks and it has become my nemesis. It takes three tugs for me to open it! Just knowing that I am not imagining this makes me feel better. I am not going to stop Arimidex as I believe in its power against BC but it is empowering to understand what is happening.

Thank you all!

pam