Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,469
    edited June 2010

You fly. The wedding was in a lovely garden in the Raleigh area at 7pm (so it wasn't so hot), and  the food eating and dance was also outside in the garden under the stars with candle light and white lights twinkling in the trees. Lots of fun events pre and post wedding with family and friends also. The couple are sweet kids who seem well matched. Once the festivities were over a group of us went out to the ocean and spent a couple days walking on the beach, bobbing in the water and eating seafood. SIGH!!!

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2010

It sounds perfect. Wishing them many happy years together.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2010

A lady I met recently is very much into homeopathic medicine, lifestyle etc. To get natural Vitamin D, every day she goes outside in her bathing suit (no sunscreen) and lays for 10 minutes on one side, then 10 minutes on the other. She says that's how much sun time you need. Of course, for us northern girls that would only work in the summer!!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited June 2010

Hi Sunflowers:

Yes, I have tried wearing the wrist brace at night. For awhile it helped, but wrist got worse anyway. Could hardly move my wrist and hand to type or do anything for that matter.  As I am typing now, if I put my hand in a claw position, yes it hurts, but not the wrist. It is absolutely crazy. Ok, day no. 3 completely off A, I feel different. Somewhere in the past, I read that or I think I read that it takes 24 hours to get out of your system. I don't feel as tired either, much more energy too. I still am having the "sweats".  Forgive me what  is CTS??? I see that you went off for 6 weeks? How did you feel?

Is it better when you restart it? I am still taking my vitamins recommended by onc.

Hope to hear from you. Thank you for the good wishes for my Arimidex vacation.

Regards and Hugs.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2010

CTS = carpal tunnel syndrome; what you may be feeling in your wrist?  I would suggest wearing a wrist/hand brace during the day as well for a few weeks to see if you get relief.  I wore one because I am on the computer all day at work.  After a few weeks I no longer needed it and now only wear one occasionally at night.

Ronna, can't remember - did you have your Vit D levels checked?

• pj12
    edited June 2010

Ronna,

I read Arimidex has a half life of 72 hours. How does that work exactly? Half at 72 hrs, 1/4 at 6 days, 1/8 at 9 days... and so on? Any nuclear physicists out here? 

Enjoy your break and good luck when you go back!

pam 

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited June 2010

Ruthbru - what beach. I live on the NC coast.

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    edited June 2010

"pj12345 wrote:  I read Arimidex has a half life of 72 hours. How does that work exactly? Half at 72 hrs, 1/4 at 6 days, 1/8 at 9 days... and so on? "

I'm no scientist but...you're completely right.  However it may be easier to understand if you convert the fractions into percentages. At 72 hours, only about 50% of the Arimidex you've taken is still in your body; at 6 days - only 25% remains, at 9 days, 12.5% and so on. I read one source that says that by 5 half lives - that's 15 days for Arimidex - the drug is considered out of your system.(although technically there's about still about 3% left). Hope that helps. ttp://www.benzosupport.org/drug_half-life.htm 

• ruthbru
    edited June 2010

Joy, we were at Wrightsville Beach, the closet one to Raleigh. On different trips we've been to Myrtle Beach, down the Outer Banks, Carolina Beach and a few more I can't remember offhand. A beautiful area!! What are your favorite beaches?

• pj12
    edited June 2010

MTG,

Thanks for making it understandable!

pam 

• sobx
    edited June 2010

Ruthbru- I am down here at Atlantic Beach. Mid way on the coast. (Southern Outer Banks and Crystal Coast.) It is pretty along the coast and right now very hot!!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2010

I was in the Outer Banks several years back and I think it may have been Atlantic Beach.  I remember it rained and because it was so low the roads were flooded and impassible.  We could not leave the area of the house we were renting.  Good thing we had plenty of food on hand.  But the water subsided quickly as soon as the rain stopped. 

• ronqt1
    edited June 2010

Hi everyone;

Wrist brace will be worn today.

Sunflowers: How did you prepare to restart Arimidex? I am very curious as to the new preparation.

Patoo: Onc. did not mention anything regarding Vit D, just that my hemoglobin was low.

I take Oscal With Vit D twice a day. -- 500 mg. each pill.

Last night I happened to be flipping channels and I watched someone endorsing a new Vit D product for cancer patients. I watched for awhile and realized it was an "infomercial".

Will check in later. Have a great day.

Hugs.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2010

It IS hot and humid in NC!! I only pack the coolest clothes I can find, even if I don't look that great in them, I wear them there (ie sleeveless tops, shorts etc.). We have tried to do some tourist things there in the summer but find ourselves quickly back by a beach, pool or inside with the air conditioner running full blast! Makes for beautiful flowers and greenery though.

• sobx
    edited June 2010

Just spent several hours at the beach. A 10 year old wouldn't let me out of the water. His Mom doesn't go in the ocean! Had a good time and now relaxing. Finally got the 4 year old to go waist deep. Next time he will go further. the waves were huge and we got hit by several of them. Had lots of sand in the bathing suit when I got home. So vitamins from the sun and saltwater to soothe the aches. Sounds good to me!!

• hood1980
    hood1980 Member Posts: 168
    edited June 2010

Wow!  I'm going to Atlantic Beach in August for a week.  We will be statying at my SIL's timeshare at the Peppertree.  Can anyone tell me if it's nice there too?

• ronqt1
    edited June 2010

Sunflowers: Thanks for your response. I do exercise, love to walk, Zumba classes, eliptical (slowly) - due to process of reconstruction and take Centrum 3 x a week , Oscal with Vit D, and Fish Oil every day. Other than the wrist problem, a little fatigue, and flashes, Arimidex wasn't so bad.  I wore brace today.

I don't want to go on anything else. I will see what happens the next few weeks.

Thanks again. Hugs,

• sobx
    edited June 2010

Hood1980- Spent three hours there today. Atlantic Beach is nice and from what I have heard so is Peppertree. It will be hot and everyone seems to wander over to Beaufort. That is a small historic town with lots of good restaurants. Let me know when you are coming down. I live in Morehead across the bridge from AB.

• BrendaAreYouA4
    BrendaAreYouA4 Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2010

I am on my 5th day of my 'Arimidex holiday'.  The numbness and lack of feeling in my thumb, ring, and middle finger is almost back to normal.  My heel is healing (it broke from a 'stress fracture').  My joints in my hands, feet, and knees are still sore but I expect that will time that will improve too.  I hope things are better after the 'holiday'!

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited June 2010

Ruth~Love you new pic...I need to get one up too.

I have noticed that since I gave up processed foods and refined sugars 2 months ago my pain is better. We have always been juicers but have really kicked it up a notch since my dx.  My husband use to do all the juicing but it has become my job now.  It is very time consuming but I think I have it down to a good workable system now. The benefits I see are my skin tone is so healthy now and the no sugars and processed foods has given me a tummy that is as flat as a board.  YES!! I am not saying that I will never have any processed food because that just would not be real....but for now I am enjoying hitting the juice! Just to give you an idea of what I drink a day....for 8 - 8oz serving of carrot/apple juice I need to juice 32 carrots and 8 apples.  And then there is the 4- 8oz green drinks that have leafy greens, green pepper, red chard and an apple in them.  Now that is  alot of juice and it is sometimes hard to find my items in the organic section.

It is important to get a good juicer and I just ordered a press...so I can get all the juice out of the plup.   Wink

Ruth~ I am taking a summer class on Ipod touches & Ipads to use in the classroom....yesterday was great...wow the things I could use them for ....love it.  I wonder how many fundraiser I would have to do ...to get a set for my classroom!

Have a great day everyone!

Balsie 

• ronqt1
    edited June 2010

Brendaskids: How long are you on holiday for? (Arimidex)

I go back to onc on 7-21 and I should be back on then.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2010

Wow, balsie, that IS alot of juice!! Good for you! I took a bunch of classes during the school year so I could have the summer off. Yeah, you will have to do alot of bake sales if you want to be able to keep up with all the technology options that would be available if you had enough money!

• pj12
    edited June 2010

I just hate it that teachers either have to figure out how to raise funds or spend their own money on things for the classroom. What other profession has to do that? Eternal gratitude to all you teachers out there!

pam 

• balsie
    edited June 2010

Loved my class even more today!  Pam, Thank you for saying that!  But I love my job and every once in awhile they come out with a must have gadget like an ipad etc that makes it even more enjoyable! 

Anyone have a sore lower back that you didn't have before "A" ?  I just want to make sure mine is that....I think I will ask for a scan just to be on the safe side of things.  

Wink Balsie 

• ronqt1
    edited June 2010

Sunflowers: I will certainly keep that in mind. No one ever mentioned that to me before.

Thank you for the info.

Regards and Hugs.

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2010

It's been a while since I had posted to this thread, but I have been checking in on everyone.

balsie, that is exactly what I have been struggling with here.  I have been on "A" since Jan 10 (6 mos.) with absolutely no problems. Thought maybe I might be one of the lucky ones.  The last week my back has been killing me constantly, day, night, whether I lay down, stand or sit. I am not over weight and am active.  At first I thought it might be a UTI, had one last month.  Had appt with onc last week, so he ordered urinalysis-all neg. Now wondering if it could be kidney stone or just aches and pains of "A". bummer!  I hate to over react since everyone tells me I have such a good prognosis, do I even let my mind wonder if it could be something else?

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,075
    edited June 2010

Ronna, I'm a golfer.  Since joining the A club, my fingers are stiff and sore the next day after I play.  I'm also having some pain in my left wrist, but I go out and play anyway.  Back in my younger years when I played a lot of tennis, I developed tennis elbow that was so bad I couldn't pick up the telephone with my right hand, but I continued to play tennis anyway and used ice afterwards.  Eventually the tendonitis went away.  So I'll keep playing golf and taking ibuprofen as long as I can.  I figure the wrist pain will move to another body part!

Hang in there, all you A-clubbers.

• shannon56
    shannon56 Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2010

Thanks to everyone who posts on this topic.  My onc did a funny thing with"A" - she told me there were virtually no SEs.  So I didn't read through all the stuff the pharmacy puts in about the drug.  The only real problem I have now that I didn't have before is pain in my left foot and only the left foot.  So I soak in vinegar when it's really bad and take B6 everyday.  My hands were always stiff in the morning and after golf (used to hold the club too tight), my knees have arthritis, and I have suffered from "mouse" shoulder for years.  I find hydration the best thing to combat muscle cramps that have gotten worse since I finished Herceptin.

• ktn
    ktn Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2010

Ronna~ I also had issues in one hand and not the other including 'trigger thumb' on my right thumb. My onc also said carpal tunnel, see a GP. I posted on these boards and got great advice and the trigger thumb went away. Now that it is hot and humid both hands feel tight- especially after I walk. I was in Las Vegas recently and it was 110 degrees....my right arm got a little puffy but is better now. Wish I didn't have to worry about LE too!!

Balsie~ I have had back pain at times too. Initially it was tailbone then it was mid back and sometimes behind my new implants. I started keeping a notebook of aches and it helps me realize how things go away too! I keep taking the arimidex but am frustrated about the side effects!!!

• balsie
    edited June 2010

I just have to say I am so glad to have all of you wonderful ladies to chat with!  I am so grateful to have you on my "A" list.  Just so nice to throw something out here and someone always has some helpful advice.  Hugs to all!!

Cheers

Balsie