Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2010

lisa34lisa,

Congratulations on being an Arimidex success story! Wishing you many years in partnership with it.

pam 

• don23
    don23 Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2010

Okay ladies - can I join your group? I just received my first bottle of Arimidex from my mail order pharmacy. I can't believe all the side effects listed. Is it right that this 90 day supply would of cost me $1,000? That is not what I have to pay but I couldn't believe the price of this drug. I was on tamoxifen for 11 months and then had a hyster/ooph so onc. switched me to Arimidex. I haven't started taking it yet. I am more scared to take this drug than I was to take tamoxifen. I am not going to start taking until July 1st. I have been trying to read through all your posts and really scared about some of the side effects. My onc. did say if they get too bad he would just take me off it. Wish me luck!

• Enjoyful
    Enjoyful Member Posts: 278
    edited June 2010

Welcome, don23!  A lot of women experience very few side effects; hopefully you'll be one of those.  Best of luck on your experience!

E

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2010

don23, Welcome.  I suggest you take it one pill a day.  I mean emotionally.  Each day just committ to that one pill you are taking.  This whole 5 yrs thing is psychologically daunting.

On this thread you will find a solution for just about every side effect Arimidex can kick at us.  Awaremess and validation is your protection.

I am nearing the end of my "term" and what I notice most is my sense of pride "that I will make it through" all this.

Everyone's journey is different.  May yours be no more that what you can handle.

• pj12
    edited June 2010

Arimidex in the US costs a little over $400/30 pills. Supposedly a generic is in the works but we on the A Team are not holding our breath.

Bet you will do fine!

Good luck,

pam 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2010
    Lisa34Lisa - HUGS on being positive and motivating.  We realize that some of our sisters just can't handle the SE's and have to go off, but some, like you, managed it.  Don23 - don't let fear invade your emotions.  Give it a try and go from there.  Molly - congrats on nearing the end; but you will always be a member of the A Team!
  • lisa34lisa
    lisa34lisa Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2010

Patoo:  you are certainly right!  I was lucky.  It is manageable for me.  (with a pain pill every now and again).   I've read SE's that others have had and wondered how in the world they do it. 

Gosh, I hope I didn't sound uncaring in my last post.  That wasn't my intent...at all.

Just wanted to say that sometimes, the fear of  SE's are far worse and harder to manage, than the actual SE's.  Sort of like a SE of the SE's.  haha  :)  

Yep.  The cost is CRAZY. 

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited June 2010

Welcome Don23:

We are all in this together as the "A" team. This is one of the best sites going on the BC.Org.

I myself am temporarily on vacation from A, but when I go back on I will have 4 yr. and 5 months.

The girls here are all for you.

To update all on my left hand, the pain this morning was excruciating I myself w/out waiting for onc. called the orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hands. I very much doubt that the A caused it. That appointment is scheduled for 7-19.  I think I said earlier, I am beginning to miss my Arimidex. What a crazy guilt trip.

Hugs,

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,469
    edited June 2010

Don23, try arimidex with an open mind. Most people don't have bad or unmanagable SE, and remember it is your most effective weapon against reoccurance, and that is a VERY GOOD thing! 

• Susie123
    Susie123 Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2010

Yay!!   My ALP has gone back down. No Liver or bone scans for mets! 

• pj12
    edited June 2010

Always nice to hear good news!!! Good job, Susie123.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2010

whew!

• Prairiemermaid
    Prairiemermaid Member Posts: 67
    edited June 2010

I'm new to the board too, and have been on Arimidex since February of this year.  I was so afraid of the side effects I might experience that I called my oncologist to talk to her about it.  She said that in her experience with hundreds of patients, there were only a handful who had to switch to something else because of side effects and many have none at all.  Then she said, "Who knows, you may be one of those who has no side effects."  I started taking the medicine the next day in the mornings after breakfast, and discovered to my delight that I AM one of those with no side effects!  At least, none of the obvious ones.  Now I'm wondering if my lowered stamina -- getting really "wiped out" with common exertion like staying on my feet too long or working outside for a long time -- compared with before my surgeries (lumpectomy in December '09, bilateral in January 2010) and Arimidex.  It's not extreme exhaustion or anything, just can't seem to last as long as I used to in working a variety of ways.  Anyway, don23, maybe YOU'll be one of those that has no side effects!  I surely hope so...

And YES it is expensive!  If you have good insurance, you'll still pay around $130 every month... :-( 

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

To don23:

I'm new to the board too, and have been on Arimidex since February of this year.  I was so afraid of the side effects I might experience that I called my oncologist to talk to her about it.  She said that in her experience with hundreds of patients, there were only a handful who had to switch to something else because of side effects and many have none at all.  Then she said, "Who knows, you may be one of those who has no side effects."  I started taking the medicine the next day in the mornings after breakfast, and discovered to my delight that I AM one of those with no side effects!  At least, none of the obvious ones.  Now I'm wondering if my lowered stamina -- getting really "wiped out" with common exertion like staying on my feet too long or working outside for a long time -- compared with before my surgeries (lumpectomy in December '09, bilateral in January 2010) and Arimidex is actually a side effect.  It's not extreme exhaustion or anything, just can't seem to last as long as I used to in working a variety of ways.  Anyway, don23, maybe YOU'll be one of those that has no side effects!  I surely hope so.  Good luck and hugs to you...

And YES it is expensive!  If you have good insurance, you'll still pay around $130 every month... :-( 

don23 wrote:

Okay ladies - can I join your group? I just received my first bottle of Arimidex from my mail order pharmacy. I can't believe all the side effects listed. Is it right that this 90 day supply would of cost me $1,000? That is not what I have to pay but I couldn't believe the price of this drug. I was on tamoxifen for 11 months and then had a hyster/ooph so onc. switched me to Arimidex. I haven't started taking it yet. I am more scared to take this drug than I was to take tamoxifen. I am not going to start taking until July 1st. I have been trying to read through all your posts and really scared about some of the side effects. My onc. did say if they get too bad he would just take me off it. Wish me luck! 

• patoo
    edited June 2010

lisa34lisa - I don't think anyone felt you were being uncaring.  This board is to share our experiences with others and some are good experiences and some are not.  It's good to hear the good ones because sometimes for long periods we only hear the downside.  So thanks to you and also to Prairiemaid for sharing that it can be doable.

BTW, Prairiemaid, I have excellent insurance and am lucky to pay only $40. for a 90 day supply.

Having said that, I am still hoping for a generic to become available for my sisters who have less or no insurance.

Great news Susie123!  Celebrate for all of us.

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

patoo-- Wow you DO have good insurance!  I need to look into ours and see why it's not measuring up.  How many years do we have to wait for generic, do you know?  I thought patents lasted 17 years or something like that, and Arimidex is pretty new, isn't it..?  

susie123-- What wonderful news!  I'm so happy for you... :-)

• patoo
    edited June 2010

Actually A was supposed to go off patent Dec 2009, got an extension and was again supposed to go off patent this month, June 2010.  Not sure what is going on right now.  Rumors had it going off patent but AZ had agreements with generic makers not to offer it in the U.S?  Other rumor has it now not going off patent until 2012.  I don't really know what the current story is but no, it's not that new as it's been around long enough for the original patent to have expired.

• don23
    don23 Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2010

Thanks to all for your positive responses. It takes some of the fear out of it for me to know that I have somewhere I can go with concerns or questions. Thank you all so much! I will let you know how I do. If I were to get side effects - how long do you have to take it for them to kick in? It probably differs between two people but just curious.

Donna

• patoo
    edited June 2010
    Donna, that is absolutely true that we all react differently.  You can have some SE's kick in within days, weeks or even months.   If you are going to get any!  Just as they can start at any time, they can also stop at any time.  So try not to get caught up in when something "might" start or end.
  • BrendaAreYouA4
    BrendaAreYouA4 Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2010

My 'A Holiday' is just ducky.  My fingers are no longer numb.  I have full functioning (i.e. I can shave and stir my coffee) and only have a tiny bit of tingling some of the time.  I have been on 'holiday' for 8 days.  Good luck everyone!  I have really benefited from reading everyones posts.  It has helped me a lot in understanding A and its SE.  Thanks

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

patoo -- Thanks for the information!  I had no idea A had been around that long.  Kind of STINKS that the manufacturer can finagle more time on their patent and more money out of breast cancer patients!  Like they didn't get rich enough off the first 17 years... ;-/

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2010

Patoo - you're right!  I will always be on the  "A" team.  And I hope to be on these boards in 2050 telling my "war stories" to the new members.  I say, "you think you've got it rough?  In my day we had to take Arimidex ......"

Oh! I forgot, breast cancer will have been totally eliminated by then and there will be nobody interested in my war stories.  They'll say "what's breast cancer?"

• lisa34lisa
    edited June 2010

Molly, I love your way of thinkin'!

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

I'll second that, Lisa.  Great positive image you've given us, Molly!  Hopefully ALL cancer will be a distant memory by then...  :-)

lisa34lisa wrote:

Molly, I love your way of thinkin'!

Love conquers all...

Diagnosis: 11/20/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+ 

• ronqt1
    edited June 2010

Molly52 -

Let's count the days until we hear, "We have a Cure"  Us gals will be known as the "Pioneers"

God Willing, it is only a matter of time.

Brendaskids: I have all of my old energy back after 1 week and 1 day off.. When I return from Vacation on A I plan on keeping it in mind to stay energic. I spoke with someone who was on Femmera?? and she had s/e's as well. I know what I had, don't know what will happen if I change.

A great day to all.

Hugs,

• ronqt1
    edited June 2010

Good morning all again:

This is from a sister's blog from Exchange City for a way to perhaps fight fatigue.--From Cosco -  "Body Choice" protein shots.  It is advertised as a weight loss product but the woman there said it is excellent for helping the body to heal.  She even mentioned they're good for recovering from surgery.  .She says she has  been taking it every day and  swear it has made a huge difference her energy levels.  It has 25 grams of protein in it!  It also has 8 vitamins, fiber and is only 104 calories.  It is Zero fat, carbs, sugar or cholesterol.  Each "shot" is about 3 oz. and is fruit punch flavored.  You can drink them straight or pour them into a water bottle and sip it throughout the day.  She said you can even freeze them, pop one in your purse and drink it later

Has anyone tried this?

Regards and hugs,

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2010

Check out this website, I can't believe the price. I am almost tempted to order my A on there, but I am not sure if it's legit. 3 months is what I pay for 1 month!

http://www.4rx.com/online-pharmacy/categories/cancer-treatment/generic-anastrozole.html

• lisa34lisa
    edited June 2010

Hey gal13!  (I always shorten names, and for some reason, I simply can NOT call you Horse).  haha.

Anyway....wow!  That is some savings!   13 months worth with free shipping cost less than 60 days here.  Amazing!  Cant figure out if this is coming from UK or Australia.  No matter....but, that is just not fair to us in the US at all.  It's generic everywhere but here.  Astra Zeneca should be ashamed.  Not that I am bashing them.... it was their scientist that came up with this "magic pill".  I'm grateful to them.  But, come on....enough is enough already! 

I have not had RX coverage the past 4 1/2 months I have been on A.  Thankfully, I work in health care and was able to get the last of the samples they handed out.  (they have since stopped that, since the drug was set to go generic).  Thankfully for me, my RX coverage will begin July 1.  But, what about everyone out there that DOESN'T have insurance??? 

Ugg....  just one of many pet peeves about the US health-care system.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2010
    You guys are all awesome, researching, thinking ladies Smile!
  • Enjoyful
    Enjoyful Member Posts: 278
    edited June 2010

I've had my D monitored for the last two years and have been on 50,000 IUs every 5 days.  In that time, it's gone from something like 11 or 12 to the mid 50s.  It's been there for about a year but I still had SEs from Femara (first one I tried) and Arimidex.  Maybe I need D3?