Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• BrendaAreYouA4
    BrendaAreYouA4 Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2010

ronqt1  I am glad to hear about your energy being back!  That's great!  I think I will start back on A and see if symptoms return.  If they don't great!  If they do...then we'll have to consider other AI's.

Protein is something I know about!  I drink protein shakes everyday.  They were a life-saver during chemo when all I could eat for 4 months were raw fruits and vegetables.  My protein shakes made all the difference - at least I believe.

There are 2 major sources of protein supplements - Soy and Whey

Soy Protien - Soy is naturally a phytoestrogen, meaning it is a plant based estrogen.  These plant-based estrogens can 'hook' into the estrogen-receptors in our bodies which then doesn't allow a place for the circulating estrogen to 'hook' into (This is kind of how Tamoxifen works). This would be great EXCEPT that the soy from protein shakes is in an isolate form which is too similar molecularly to the body's estrogen and should therefore be avoided.  Soy based protein, like that found in protein shakes is not recommended for women with er+, pr+ bc.  My understanding is that soy in other forms i.e. soy beans, tofu, etc. are fine but the isolate form of soy in soy protein shakes is not.

Whey - Whey is a bi-product of milk.  The majority of protein shakes and bars are made with whey.  During chemo I could not tolerate eating any meats.  They made me so sick and tasted awful.  I am now an ovo-lacto-vegetarian.  I have a small concern about Whey protein in that it is a bi-product of milk and I have concerns about the about of antibiotics and hormones given to cows and which then ends up in the milk and its' bi-products.  

Other sources of protein... 

Pea Protein - I have found a plant based protein made from peas and rice which I am now using. The benefits are that it doesn't have phytoestrogens, antibiotics, or hormones.  Yellow pea protein when mixed with brown rice protein provide all the protein (and hence amino acids) needed with a 90% bioavailability - meaning the body can break it down into a useable form.  The bio-availability of pea/whey protein is considerably higher than that of soy and whey proteins.  I use a product from Arbonne but there are others available (google pea protein.) 

I have not experienced the tiredness from A and maybe the protein supplements is why.  I have had enough energy to exercise and maybe the protein is why also.  My coping strategy throughout cancer has been exercise but I believe that the protein is what made it possible for me to have the energy to even consider exercising.

Hope this helps!  

PS.  I mix my chocolate pea/rice powder with 12 ounces of water and 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed and drink it each morning with my medicines including A.  

PPS  I use my coffee grinder to grind the flax seeds.  My family thinks my shakes are disgusting but that just means I can be assured they won't be stealing them on me! 

There are protein calculators for determining protein needs.  This is a link to one at the University of Maryland.  I like this calculator because it takes into account physical activity.  http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp.  Generally your body needs about half your body weight. If you are physically active you may require 25 more grams each day.  I am 5'6'', weigh 125 (I have lost 45 pounds since being diagnosed), and exercise regularly (I run, do zumba, yoga, pilates, and lift weights) so I require 87 grams a day.  I know I sure wasn't getting that from diet alone when I was in chemo!!!  So I think it made all the difference in the world.  

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2010

lisa34lisa and others,

Anastrazole is not a generic Arimidex. It is true that it is the active ingredient in Arimidex. A generic form of a branded drug is licensed by the FDA. A real generic product should be on the market in some unknown period of time. I am not smart enough to know if anastrazole is a safe and effective substitute. It's not possible to know where it comes from, who is making it, under what sterile conditions, in what dose, with what additives and on and on. I would not even know what I was taking without a manufacturer I trusted.

I pay for my Arimidex out of pocket and could sure put the money to other use... but it is my body and my life so I am sticking with the brand name product for now. JMHO.

pam 

• Prairiemermaid
    Prairiemermaid Member Posts: 67
    edited June 2010

Thanks for the information, pj!  You make very good points and I think your decision is a good one...

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Hi Jo -- Congratulations on finishing your Arimidex treatment!  I've only been on it for 5 months, so I don't even like to think about that 5 year mark. ;-)  Thanks for all the information about your experience with SEs and vitamin D.  I was wondering -- and this may be a stupid question -- why was your vit D low in the first place?  Is it from chemo or Arimidex or what?  I've been trying to find out this morning with a little research, but can't seem to ask the right questions in my searches.  I didn't need any chemo, just the Arimidex, which I seem to be tolerating pretty well.  Anyway,thanks for any info you can give me on this...  Sharon

• pj12
    edited June 2010
    What Causes of Low Vitamin D Levels

Low vitamin D levels occur because of less intake of vitamin D, less exposure to sunlight or as side effects of some diseases. Toxic substances, harmful chemicals, side effects of certain medicines can also give rise to such condition that the level of vitamin D goes down the normal level. It is a rare occurrence that the vitamin D levels is low because of some hereditary diseases. Following are some of the causes for low levels of vitamin D. 

Lack of Exposure to Sunlight 
    The layer under the skin produces vitamin D using sunlight. People of certain geographical locations like those in the northern hemisphere have living conditions such that their exposure to sunlight is minimum. Aged people and small babies often do not get enough exposure to sunlight. Aging skin of elderly people needs more time to prepare vitamin D. People with the condition of lupus are sensitive towards sunlight. So, they are advised not to stay out under direct sunlight for a long time. Under all these conditions, the factors responsible for low vitamin D, is absence of sunlight. 

Deficiency of vitamin D in Diet 
    Low vitamin D levels is found in breast feeding infants because vitamin D content in human milk is very low. There are very few food substances that contain naturally occurring vitamin D. Some of the food items that provide us vitamin D are beef liver, fleshy part of the fish, egg yolk, fish oils and cheese. Therefore, vegetarians are more prone to low vitamin D levels.

Effects of Disease
    Some diseases weaken the ability of synthesizing vitamin D on the skin surface. Fat absorption capacity of the body is impaired due to cystic fibrosis. As vitamin D is fat soluble, its process of absorption cannot take place in absence of adequate amount of fat in the body. Liver disorder or kidney disorder can lead to a similar condition. In Crohn's disease or colitis, an inflammation is caused in the inner surface of the intestine and colon that results in diarrhea. In this condition, a large quantity of vitamins are excreted and leads to low levels of vitamin D. 

Physical Condition 
    Physical conditions like color of the skin or quantity of body fat are also responsible for low vitamin D levels. Dark skin color could also be the cause of low vitamin D levels in the body. Obesity is another factor that causes low levels of vitamin D. It can happen even if the sun exposure and intake of vitamin D, both are appropriate. The reason behind this is that the vitamin becomes unusable due to its storage in excessive body fat.

People with low vitamin D levels are often advised by the physicians to spend more time under the sun. In some cases, they are prescribed vitamin D as a dietary supplement. Along with vitamin D enriched food, a healthy diet consisting of fresh fruits and vegetables is also recommended to increase the levels of vitamin D. Hope, this clarifies what causes low vitamin D levels.
  • patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2010

For those taking Tums to get their Calcium, I found this while looking up info on Calcium absorption:

"Some vitamin companies use a compound called DI-calcium phosphate in their products. This form of calcium is insoluble and interferes with the absorption of the nutrients in a multi-nutrient supplement. Antacids such as Turns are not recommended as a source of calcium. While they do contain calcium, if taken in quantities sufficient to serve as a source of this mineral, they would also neutralize the stomach acid needed for calcium absorption. Additionally, a significant percentage (estimates range from 20 to 40 percent) of people over the age of sixty may have a condition called atrophic gastritis. This is a chronic inflammation of the stomach, and it reduces the ability to break down the calcium carbonate contained in Turns."

http://www.vitamin-d-deficiency-symptoms.com/boron-calcium-supplements-and-vitamins.html

• pj12
    edited June 2010

Wow Patoo, it;s complicated!  Thanks.

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2010

This thread is 104 pages long now.   A lot of reading for a new Arimidexian.  Here at BCO, we have a long running list of abreviatioons for newbies.   Following along with this idea, I was thinking maybe we could produce a list of Arimidex Side effects with member suggestions for relief.

I put an initial list together using my Arimidex brochure, the Mayo Clinic and a report on AI side effects developed by Breast Cancer Action.  The list is now 2 1/2 pages long.  That's with no solutions.

I was wondering if the "A" team would be interested in contributing their member suggestions.  Each person could take a letter, a body part or whatever they can.  I can hold and update the document until it is a little way on toward completion.

I have "heard" a lot of you keep files on this.  It might be nice to have it all on one document and available to new and experienced members.

If there is any interest in this, please let me know. Either on this forum or by PM.  If you aren't interested that is fine - no pressure.  Here is what I have compiled so far 

Allergic reactions
    Anemia
    Anxiety and confusion
    Appetite increase
    Appetite loss
    Arm, back, or jaw pain
    Arms/legs swelling
    Back (lower or side pain)
    Back pain
    Back, ribs, arms, or legs pain
    Belching
    Blood clot
    Blood pressure increase
    Body aches or pain
    Bone fracture/broken
    Bone pain
    Breast pain
    Breath (shortness of)
    Breath (sudden shortness of breath)
    Breathing difficulty
    Bronchitis
    Carpal tunnel syndrome (tingling, pain, coldness, weakness)
    Chest pain or discomfort
    Chest tightness or heaviness
    Chills
    Cholesterol (high blood cholesterol)
    Congestion
    Constipation
    Cough or hoarseness
    Cough producing mucus
    Depression
    Diarrhea
    Dizziness
    Dizziness, severe
    Ears (pounding in the ears)
    Eyelids/eye areas, face, lips, or tongue itching, puffiness, swelling
    Face/eyelids/lips/tongue/throat/hands/legs/feet/sex organs (large, hive-like swelling)
    Feeling of warmth
    Feeling tired
    Feet or lower legs (swelling of the feet or lower legs)
    Fever
    Finger (trigger finger)
    Flu-like symptoms
    Foot or leg (pain, tenderness, bluish color, or swelling)
    General feeling of discomfort or illness
    Glands (tender, swollen glands in the neck)
    Hair thinning/loss of (alopecia)
    Hands or feet (numbness or tingling)
    Headache
    Headache, continuing
    Heart Attach
    Heartbeat (Slow or fast)
    Heartburn
    Height decrease
    Hepatitis
    Hives
    Hot flashes
    Hypercalcemia (high calcium content in blood)
    Joint pain and stiffness
    Leucopenia (number of leukocytes in the circulating blood is less than normal)
    Liver (changes in blood tests of liver function)
    Mental fuzziness
    Mood or mental changes
    Mouth dryness
    Muscle pain
    Nausea
    Nervousness
    Nose (runny nose)
    Osteoporosis
    Pain, general
    Pelvic pain
    Pleural effusion
    Rash
    Shivering
    Sinusitis
    Skin - severe reactions
    Skin (blistering, peeling, or loosening skin)
    Skin (Flushing/redness esp. face/neck)
    Skin itching
    Skin lesions (red skin lesions, often with a purple center)
    Skin mouth/Lips (Sores, ulcers, or white spots)
    Skin rash
    Skin welts
    Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness or tiredness
    Sleeping/sleeplessness trouble insomnia
    Stomach (acid or sour)
    Stomach discomfort, upset, or pain
    Stomach indigestion
    Stomach pain
    Strength lack or loss of
    Stroke
    Swallowing (trouble in swallowing)
    Sweating
    Sweating increase
    Throat (sore throat)
    Throat dryness/soreness
    Blood - Thrombosis (clotting within a blood vessel that may cause infarction of tissues supplied by the vessel)
    Tiredness or weakness (unusually so)
    Urinary tract infection
    Urination (difficult / painful)
    Vagina dryness
    Vaginal atrophy
    Vaginal bleeding (unexpected and heavy)
    Vision blurred
    Voice changes
    Vomiting
    Weakness
    Weight gain
    Weight loss
    Wheezing

Whew!!!!! That's a lot of side effects.

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Patoo -- I always knew that Tums was not a great form of the nutrient -- calcium carbonate -- for optimum absorption, but I never knew all that other stuff!  It's unfortunate for me, because I have had problems taking any of the other calcium tablets or chews, which also contain the vitamin D I need as well.  I have a history of stomach problems (bleeding ulcer at one time) and have taken Tums to relieve those symptoms.  In trying to take calcium in other formulations over recent years in order to supplement my calcium (I'm 57 now), I would get sharp stomach pains -- even when taken with food!  I don't know what the heck is causing it, but I'm very cautious about things that cause stomach pain now.  It's truly a mystery, because I recently found out that one of the forms, the yummy chewable chocolate caramel that I would eat as desert, is actually the same form of calcium as Tums!  I thought it must be different because it caused stomach pain.  Now I'm wondering if it's the vitamin D that is the culprit.  So for the time being I've been taking Tums (4 a day, for 1200 mg Ca)) until I find a better form.  

Another thing, the Tums I take is "750", indicating it has 750 mg of calcium (in the form of CaCO) per serving (2 tablets).  But in the nutrient information, it shows 600 mg per serving.  I think this is because they are taking into account that a fraction of that calcium is not going to make it into your cells.  

Anyway, I need to do more research and tests to figure out what's causing my pain and how I can get around it and take a better form of calcium.  I had heard that calcium citrate was a good form.  Do you have any info on that? ~Sharon 

• ctgal
    ctgal Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010

I am taking Vitamin D every day now  1000 IU . My brother-in-law who was treated for breast cancer about 4 years ago said his oncologist recommended it. Is any one out there on Armidex  also being treated with Zometa?

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Thanks for the info and advice, Sunflowers!  I will keep looking for a good supplement that doesn't upset my stomach.  

We shouldn't forget about natural sources as well, since those are often the best absorbed forms of vitamins.  I try to eat a lot of foods each day that give me the recommended dosage of calcium, in addition to taking the infamous Tums supplement.  But I never knew there were also foods, granted, not many, that contain significant amounts of vitamin D as well.  After reading your post I researched both vitamin D and calcium and found a very good site, which you probably know about (NIH, Office of Dietary Supplements), for both natural and supplemental sources of both:

Vitamin D:  http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

Calcium: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp 

Also, another factor for bone health and bone building that I keep forgetting is exercise!  Particularly weight lifting.  I don't have a resource right now to post, but I've been told and have read numerous times that exercise and weight lifting can have a significant positive impact on bone density.  A woman in my local support group (Bossom Buddies :-) has been on A for 2.5 years and her bone density has actually INCREASED.  Exercise and light weight lifting are a part of her routine, but I still need to find out what types of D and Ca (both dietary and supplemental) she takes.  I'll pass it on to all of you when I do.

Anyway, I need to find a good supplement for both D and calcium.  Thanks for your help with this...

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,469
    edited June 2010

Praire; I have a group of BC friends who get together & we call ourselves 'Bosom Buddies' too! Great minds must think alike Wink. There are 6 of us, 5 of us are on Arimidex, and none have had significant problems from it. I have actually increased my bone density through exercise (the calcium & vitamin D helps too, I'm sure); I get 4 hours of aerobic and 3 hours of toning in each week, no matter what else is going on. The aerobic doesn't need to be intense, but does need to be weight bearing (so swimming, biking etc. don't 'count'), and the toning includes using light weights (3-8 pounds for me).

• patoo
    edited June 2010

Prairie, do try and find out if it's the Vit D upsetting your stomach as I find that I must take it with food or my stomach cramps and/or I get nauseous.  The bottle only suggests taking with food.  If I don't, within an hour I will get sick to my stomach.

Sunflowers, my Vit D3 is in chewable form.  Wonder if that is Tums in disguise?  Can they do that?  Label doesn't suggest it is anything other than D3 so hopefully I'm not eating softball field dustlines!  (you made me laugh out loud with that one)

My family, siblings+children, have rented a beach house for a week every summer for 15 years.  Everyone else always laid out in the sun, for hours on end,  but I was always under the umbrella.  So I guess they got the Vit D and I was deficient! 

Question - if I'm driving along and the sun is beating down on my arm through the window, for the say 45 min drive, is that a way of getting Vit D?  I don't see why not - as long as your skin is exposed.  Or say the sun is beating down on my head through the sunroof?  Just wondering.

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Ruth, I love that support group name!  The founders of this group thought it up 15 years ago.  Clever ladies! :-)  

Ruthbru wrote: " I have actually increased my bone density through exercise " 

Woooohooo! :-D  Congratulations and thanks so much for that encouraging information!  I used to walk 2-3 miles, 5 days a week with 2 or 3 pound weights (doing several reps of curls and lifts along the way -- looks quite silly, I'm sure) before this all hit me last November.  I'm still trying to get back into a regular routine, and hope to be back up to that by the fall.  I just haven't got my previous energy or stamina level back yet! :-(  It's been 5 months since my bilateral surgery, no chemo.  How long did it take you to get back to "normal"?  I should probably ask everyone here that question, or maybe you could direct me to a thread on the subject.  It may be hard to tell how much of my lack of stamina is due to the Arimidex or just physical recovery from all the surgery (total of 7.5 hours in Dec/Jan), though...  Sharon

• ruthbru
    edited June 2010
    Sharon, come over and check out our 'let's post our daily exercise' thread. It is a great group, and very motivating (right, patoo? Cool). From what I've read you should take the amount of time you were in 'active treatment' and plan it will take you that long again before you feel 'normal'; my personal opinion is that you should double it, and that's if you are working at it.
  • molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2010

Hi Sunflowers, thank you, I am glad you like the idea.  And yes a separate thread would be ideal.  I put it here to see if there are enough people willing to contribute to the document.  I'll give it a couple of days.

• patoo
    edited June 2010

Thanks Sunflowers - I've started writing things down so this is now on my list.  (so many times I've read things on these threads and thought I would remember - HA!)

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Thanks for the advice, patoo!  I just bought some chewable D3 (Nature Made) today and plan on trying a "nibble" approach to take it in slowly. :-)  Hopefully, that will work.  Still couldn't find a good Ca (I'd like chewable in that, too, but I could only find CaCO in that form)...

• ruthbru
    edited June 2010

I love my VIACTIV Calcium Plus Vitamin D chews; comes in carmel, milk chocolate, strawberry, mocha flavors so it is like eating a piece of candy (which I much prefer to pills!).

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited June 2010
    ctgal- I'm on A and will be doing Zometa too but haven't started it yet.
  • Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Hi Jessamine -- Do you actually have osteoporosis or breast cancer metastasis in your bones?  If not, you may be able to keep your bones healthy and strong without taking a medication that has the potential to cause other side effects.  Zometa is zolodronic acid, which is the same stuff in Reclast.  My 87 year old mother does the annual Reclast injections without any obvious side effects, but she has full blown osteoporosis.  I'm a minimalist when it comes to medication and I try to avoid taking any at all, if I can help it.  So please don't mind my cautionary attitude! :-)  Our bodies are amazing biological machines that can accomplish so many things with tender loving care and the right nutrients.  Of course, in fighting cancer, we need all the help we can get from the medical profession and I am grateful for all the options we have in this day and age...

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Hi Jessamine -- Do you actually have osteoporosis or breast cancer metastasis in your bones?  If not, you may be able to keep your bones healthy and strong without taking medication that has the potential to cause other side effects.  Zometa is zolodronic acid, which is the same stuff in Reclast.  My 87 year old mother does the annual Reclast injections without any obvious side effects, but she has full blown osteoporosis.  I'm a minimalist when it comes to medication and try to avoid any at all, if I can help it -- so please don't mind my cautionary attitude. :-)  Our bodies are amazing biological machines that can accomplish so many things with tender loving care and the right nutrients.  Of course, in fighting cancer we need all the help we can get from the medical profession and I'm grateful for all the options we have in this day and age...  Sharon

• Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

I love those too, especially the chocolate!  I would take one after a meal with some walnuts = desert! :-P  But it caused stomach pain too (I now think it's the vit.D), and it is calcium carbonate, which is the same as Tums.  But then again, with your great bone density results, maybe CaCO is not so bad after all.  I've read that vitamin D helps with Ca absorption.  Maybe it helps enough to overcome the problems with this formulation of Ca.  It's obviously more complicated than it seems... ;-)

ruthbru wrote:

I love my VIACTIV Calcium Plus Vitamin D chews 

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited June 2010

I am back from a weekend away...man did we pack in the fun!  .... and a grad party (fun too)  

Hey naturegrrl....I will be right over and we can have a juice party.....my new press should be here on Tuesday...I am so excited to get it!  I am going to change my name from balsie to juice Queen! or maybe I would rather be a princess....ahhhh the fun of it all.  

I still hate arimidex but I know that it is helping!  

Cheers

Balsie 

• BrendaAreYouA4
    BrendaAreYouA4 Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2010

I am on A and will be starting zometa or prolia.  I am 48.  I was diagnosed with osteopenia in July '09 and with BC in September.  I am seeing a specialist in osteoporosis for treatment.  I was premenopausal but had chemo and then had ovaries removed.  I fractured my heel and it is thought that it was because of low bone density.  My mom and grandma have awful Osteoporosis...

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited June 2010
    prairie- I don't have osteo. or mets, but am willing to do the Zometa because of the effectiveness in reducing mets, and because as well as the Arimidex I had an oophorectomy and because I'm young (35) I have a lot of estrogen free years to get my bones through and more risk than if I was just on the A...wow that was a long convuluted sentence. What I mean is, while I totally have always felt the same way about avoiding medicating, I've really kind of changed my perspective since dx and learned to embrace pharmaceuticals, even when the SEs are rotten. Within reason, of course. But my onc is definitely a less is more advocate with the drugs, so if he says this is the way to go for me, I'm ok with it. I think you're right though- for someone who was just on the Arimidex, or less of a recurrence risk- maybe not necessary.
  • Prairiemermaid
    edited June 2010

Jessamine-- Thank you for the very informative explanation.  Your young age and the added number of "estrogen free years to get your bones through" are very good points I wouldn't have thought of.  I understand completely what you are saying -- the benefits for your case seem to definitely outweigh any small risks involved with the Zometa.  I wish you all the best with your treatments...

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited June 2010

Hi Ladies, first time to this site and I have sat here the whole day reading all inputs.  It's been a facinating read. For me, first diag was 12/2003 had full mastectomy then tried chemo.  Had such bad reaction my Onco refuse to give me anymore after one treatment.  Tried me on Temoxafin, three weeks in ended up in hospital with suspected heart attack.  I ended up with no meds, just taking my chances.  My luck ran out.  I went for my five year and found that I had mets in my left arm, so much so that I now have a very large pin there so my arm is stable.  This time radiation was given and I was put on Arimadex.  Have now been on A for 13 months.  Just about all s/e's that have been discussed, I have had.  The only ones that now bother me at all are the fatigue and what I call "my melting moments".  I feel that sometimes you just need to persavere, determination can carry us all a very long way. 

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited June 2010

Here's the answer back from askanoncologist.com (my ques abbreviated):

Q. Why 1mg A for all?

A. Ian Smith of Royal Marsden Hospital, London, reviewed this topic over a decade ago (see ref below).  In a study comparing 1mg to 10mg of Anastrazole, there was no "dose-response" pharmacokinetics demonstrated beyond the dose required to suppress oestrogen.  This means that this "one size fits all" dose is sufficient in vast majority of women and can reliably suppress oestrogen formation.  BSA based doses are thus unnecessary.

http://erc.endocrinology-journals.org/cgi/reprint/6/2/245.pdf

Also Sunflowers thank you so much for the heads up on D3 in bran oil and Pathways, I'm on my way!

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2010

Why is it all so complicated? vit D2, D3, my head starts spinning everytime I try to figure out what to do!!!